Posted at 1:24 PM ET, 03/ 2/2011

Eric Fehr optimistic about return from shoulder injury

By Greg Schimmel

A cheerful Eric Fehr said he felt a lot better during practice Wednesday, and the winger added that he is hopefully getting close to returning from the shoulder injury that has kept him out of the lineup since Jan. 14.

Fehr said earlier this week that he is trying to build strength in the shoulder, and he was encouraged today by his ability to battle in the corners and reach out for pucks.

"I'm really thinking positively toward the next couple of games here," Fehr said. "I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and set a specific date, but I'm really hoping in the near future I'll be back."

In spite of his optimism, Fehr acknowledged there is no rush for him to get back after the recent additions to the Caps' corps of forwards, and he still realizes it is important to be completely healthy before he attempts to play again.

"I've set [timetables] before and failed, so I don't want to do that to myself again," Fehr said. "I just want to see when I'm feeling my best and when the coach feels like I can get back into the lineup."

Coach Bruce Boudreau said Fehr looked good in practice today, but would not give a specific timeframe for when he might be back.

"He's getting closer," Boudreau said. "Hopefully it won't be long."

By Greg Schimmel  | March 2, 2011; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  Eric Fehr, Injuries
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: Mike Green will meet Capitals in Florida
Next: Capitals sign Dmitry Orlov to entry-level deal

Comments

Fehr could have been Getzlaf. sigh.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 2, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anyone has posted and/or seen this, but ESPN rumors has this tasty tidbit on it today. BB's job appears to be in jeopardy. You would already know that if you read these posts on a regular basis.

Posted by: robostop10 | March 2, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

“Length of Caps' playoff run will determine coach's future”

Obvious rumor is obvious. Do people actually pays for that?

Posted by: guer_j | March 2, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

has anyone asked fehr if he is glad that 'freight train' they call steckel is gone :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 2, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@ guer

...Yes there are people who do apparently. I'm sure they read it to find out hockey might just be played on ice.

Posted by: robostop10 | March 2, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Obvious rumor is obvious. Do people actually pays for that?"

---

For $2.50 a month, you can sign up for my inside service that will let you know whether or not water is wet.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 2, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

All you hambones that want Boudreau's head will be sorry in the long run. You're acting like this team has Gretzky, Rocket Richard, Bobby Hull, Ken Dryden, Bobby Orr, Brad Park, Gordie Howe, Mike Bossy, Marcel Dionne, Rod Gilbert, the French Connection line, Phil Esposito and brother Tony.............and just can't get it together. Must be the coach.

Posted by: Cayugalaker | March 2, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I am very happy to hear Fehr will be healthy again.

I really wish he would sell his equipment and not put a Capitals jersey on.

Who is going to sit because of him..?? Gordon? Chimera?

He should be holding hands with Sloan, King, and Schultz up to the press box.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 2, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sweet - keep flying the guy around with head issues - makes sense.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 2, 2011 1:07 PM

Hopefully him flying means it's not that bad. If I were the Caps, I would hold him out as long as they can to make sure he is 100%, b/c in my opinion we are really missing a healthy Green.

I just think back to that OT loss around XMas to the Pens when we were down to 5 d-men and Green played almost 30 minutes and scored a goal. He was terrific that game.

Posted by: MattBradley10 | March 2, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"and he was encouraged today by his ability to battle in the corners and reach out for pucks."

This is Fehr's biggest problem. He is always reaching for the puck rather than just going to it.

I've enjoyed the handful of clutch goals he has scored just as much as anyone, but seriously, countless times he takes himself out of the play by reaching for the puck, rather than going to it, and then getting beat by the opposition.

Someone needs to tell him, don't reach for the puck, GO TO IT.

You reach for it and you miss, not only did you miss but you're so badly out of position you have no chance of stopping the guy who did get it. You go to the puck and you get it, great. You don't get it, at least you're still in the play.

Posted by: LesGrossman | March 2, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I do find it interesting that Ted reads this board then goes to his own board, which he controls, and then says the negative voice are but a small %.

Really Ted????? And I hope you read this. You control your web page and blog and if anyone comments without drinking their kool aid then bye bye comment. Say anything negative on Japers and then banish you to hell. OFB did a great 2 part piece on what’s wrong with the team a couple of weeks ago but you don't mention that do you???? Couldn't do that Ted would be admitting the Caps have some over paid egos playing for them.

Finally, while you have the power and ability to raise ticket prices every year if you so choose to, YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO AS YOUR TEAM HAS NOT PRODUCED THE RESULTS TO JUSTIFIY IT

Posted by: bqts | March 2, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@ robostop10

should have posted the entire thing, this part stood out the most,

"How well, or how poorly, the Capitals perform in the postseason will likely determine Boudreau's future with the organization - according to Tracee Hamilton of the Washington Post."

Please dont bring anything to the table that quotes freaking Tracee Hamilton. Not sure how she got her job at the Post, and you def. don't see her making posts on CI. Hoping you did that in jest.

Posted by: saltine182 | March 2, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bqts | March 2, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The guy needs to get healthy
get back on the ice
get to earnin' that nice raise he got

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 2, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LesGrossman | March 2, 2011 1:48 PM

thats logic even i can follow while wearing my rose colored 'shades'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 2, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1,

FLCapsFan: I believe problem with Caps passing and offense in general is they remain stationary too much and don't cycle. Best way to get open is to move your feet.

If you recall from 1st period last night, lots of cycling. Then, no more for 39 minutes and fortunate to get an ENG. Of course, Laich was open in front of the net so that meant other players were moving and that's what pulled the D away and left Laich open.

------------------------
Thanks Tom, I agree with what you say they need to do when in their opponent's D zone. What I was specifically getting at in my original post is the transition passing that gets the Caps from their D zone to their opponents D zone.

BTW, what's an ENG? If you mean empty net goal, I don't recall one last night.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 2, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post :(

Posted by: bqts | March 2, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO..."

Umm, yeah, he does. And you have the right to not pay to see the team he owns. Feel free to watch on TV or do something else with your time. Duh.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | March 2, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

FloridaCapsFan:
"fortunate to get an ENG"

i read that as the caps were lucky nyi didn't get an ENG

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 2, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

This team will never win a god damn playoff series until Bruce Boudreau accepts Jesus as his Lord and Savior.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 2, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I say sit Chimera when Fehr comes back

Posted by: anton8359 | March 2, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

FCF: My bad. I meant 6 on 5 goal. Brain fart.

KATIE: Can you please ask the team capologist how in the world we can add Arnott + Wideman + Sturm - Steckel - Perreault (delta = +$10M) if only Poti stays on LTIR the rest of the year? ($10M - 3.5 = $6.5M)

I have that as putting us (with all the other spare bodies in the press box) about $900K over at the end of the year. Alzner bonus is $850K. Is the plan to run over and then have the reduction next year?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | March 2, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Fehr could have been Getzlaf. sigh.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 2, 2011 1:29 PM |

----------------

let's get over it already

the way chimera is performing, i'd rather see fehr playing in his spot

Posted by: hessone | March 2, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

hessone:
to bad we all can't make our decisions 8 years after the facts are in. if that were the case he would have been gone with the nyr 12 pick (at worst) - instead they chose hugh jessiman. so either way - caps never would have had getzlaf

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 2, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

But wait - read the comments. Almost 90% are negative on the trades.

What does that tell you?

The small percentage of people that “hate” are the people with the loudest voices, with the most opinions and with the most comments.
-------------Ted's Take-----------------

Hey Ted, I'd be happy to come on board as VP of operations or personnel and we could spare the readership here my opinions and comments. Just get in touch with my agent and we'll do lunch :)

Now for last night's game, how 'bout that Johnny Rock Star!! Seemed like everytime he was on the ice he was rocking the bejesus outta some unfortunate Isle. (4 hits and 1 block? Man, what game are the scorers watching this year?) I don't think Haley played much after absorbing a hit from #4, and not sure if he was even on the bench by the end of the game. Boulton, Fedotenko and now Haley...who'll be the next person Rock Star rocks off the ice?

Now, the nickname spun from good'ole Bobby Weir's stage theatrics and I again thought of the Dead last night. Like the Dead, there is balance in Rock Star's game and with the highs come some lows: an interference penalty, a giveaway late in the first, and a missed hit leading to Backstrom's penalty late in the 3rd. (Wouldn't ya know it happened the game after I claimed he pretty much eliminated that problem from his game?)

But playing hockey, like making music, is a team endeavor and the Caps were and are good enough to absorb Rock Star's miscues. (Shoot, he wasn't even the worst dman on our team last night, with Carlson taking that honor.) Even the Dead rocked on Jerry's off nights....

Sadly, Jerry is no longer with us and reading that Green will be joining the team next week (huh?), my guess is that Erskine will soon no longer be with us on the ice (instead occupying Sloan's spot in the pressbox). That would be INSULTING AND SHAMEFUL, as Rock Star plays hockey the way the Dead made magic. In his place we'll see the Big Oaf, and ****55 looks, plays, and sounds like elevator music.

Forget the koolaid, I'm buying stock in earplugs...

BB MUST GO, TED!! (two)

Posted by: vermontcaps | March 2, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Japers Rink is full of homers

Posted by: doughless | March 2, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I hope they take Schultz off not Erskine

Posted by: anton8359 | March 2, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Vermont - very appropriate to liken the Caps to the Dead. The Dead would start a song as a group then meander off on their own path in a semi-orchestrated manner before bringing it all back toghether for the big finish. Sounds like the Caps to me.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 2, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Fehr could have been Getzlaf. sigh.

Posted by: lylewimbledon

Are you the same person that keeps making that post? If you are.. How can I put this politely? I wouldn't make a post like that for fear of making myself look foolish.

Maybe this will help you get over it and move on. Semin could have been Jesse Niinimaki. Peter Bondra was picked in the 8th round. In 1993 the first pick was Alexandre Daigle. That could have been Chris Pronger, Paul Kariya, Rob Niedermayer, or Jason Arnott just to name a few. And the list goes on and on.

I watch some college hockey. I wanted the Caps to pick Thomas Vanek that year (2003?), but he was long gone. These things happen in the draft you just have to move on.

I really am just trying to be helpful.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 2, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Notice how, in most games when behind, the Caps look like a different team? Like they 'turn it on'? Could it be because the players decide, on their own, "enough of this BS, let's just turn on the jets and play offense"...

Posted by: scmonty1 | March 2, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse