Erskine Out Tonight

John Erskine will be the odd man out tonight as Coach Bruce Boudreau continues to rotate his defensemen.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 3, 2009; 10:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Skate Update: Sabres at Caps
Next: Ovechkin Meets LeBron

Comments

I love BB, but this does not seem like a good reward for Erskine probably having his best game of the season the other night.

SIT SCHULTZ

Posted by: Willy6 | April 3, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Willy6, I suggest that BB be fired and that the Caps hire you.

Posted by: BigMogilny | April 3, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Poti needs a rest too. I hope they give him Sunday off.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 3, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

BB said each d-man would have two games off before the end of the season. I think he'll stick to the calender/plan, regardless.

Posted by: saintex | April 3, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@Capsfannmiss,

I don't think the voters use scenarios like the one you list as a factor in determining who gets the trophy. I could be wrong, but I think they look at something more tangible as stats before something based on an opinion.

I could be wrong though since I am not a voter and I would not even pretend to know how they think.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 3, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree sit Schultz,Forever! Not Erskine! come on the team lacks toughness already without Brash! I love Bradley but he's nothing but a punching bag...Erskine is it!

Posted by: ReedRothchild | April 3, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Erskine will be fine. Nobody wants to be a healthy scratch, but it makes you more determined and focused when you get back into the line-up.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 3, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Poti just had a long break due to his ailing groin so I don't think he'll sit again before the end of the season unless there is another injury set back.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 3, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan

Your right. I am not sure who does the voting for the Norris? With the records that MG set/broke this year it would be hard not to give him the Norris, but it is a defensive players trophy. I don't think they look at plus /minus stats to gauge a players worth as a d-man.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 3, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Okay, but if they don't look at stats, it becomes a purely subjective vote. I don't know if that is the case, but if it is, it is not right. I am not just talking about offensive stats either.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 3, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

after pummeling right hands the other night against the Isles, Lumberjack deserves a day to cool his fists.

Posted by: doughless | April 3, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@saintex

I believe Coach B said he knew which D he was going to rotate out of the line-up, but not every D-man will sit the two games. Probably Schultz, Erskine & Jurcina, maybe Pothier, but they are trying to get him as much ice time as possible heading into the Playoff

Posted by: boomer44 | April 3, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I typed a long-winded case for Green for Norris a few posts back.

Green for Norris.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 3, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It's not like to Rocket Richard trophy or like the presidents trophy where it is defined by a most goal total or a team with the most points. It is more of a popularity contest type of thing.

Don't get me wrong I am all 4 MG winning it!!

We should get a good test from Sabres tonight. They are in mode desperation now.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 3, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Erskine needs to play. He was the best D-man last game out. Just sit Schultz for the duration.

Posted by: FancyDan | April 3, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Willy6, I suggest that BB be fired and that the Caps hire you.

Posted by: BigMogilny | April 3, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Better yet BM, I suggest you apply to be the mod on this board and filter out any commentary that you don't approve of.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 3, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

That sucks! I am in no way an Erskin fan, but he was great last night his toughness might have won us that game. Last night was one of those rare occasions I'm glad he's on the team, and he deserves better.

Posted by: dcfury | April 3, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse