Erskine 'questionable' and other notes

The Caps just completed a brisk practice at the Lightning's facility in Brandon, Fla. This was one of those weird road practices where the players got dressed at the game rink, bussed to the practice rink, then bussed right back. That means there wasn't much time for post-practice interviews, but reporters had a chance to talk to talk to Coach Bruce Boudreau for a few minutes.

Here are the basics:

*Defenseman John Erskine did not practice and is "questionable" for tomorrow's game because of an "upper-body injury" he suffered against Atlanta. If he is unable to play, swingman Tyler Sloan will suit up for the first time in five games.

"I never want to say never," said Boudreau, who also won't say what the injury is as a matter of team policy. "He was a little sore today. We want to make sure he's ready when he comes back."

*After his players racked up 17 goals in the past three games, Boudreau did not make any changes to the forward combos.

*It's unclear which goaltender Boudreau will start tomorrow night at St. Pete Times Forum, but the coach previously said that he plans to tap Jose Theodore for one of the next two games and play Michal Neuvirth in the other.

*Boudreau on Neuvirth's emergence: "Everybody in our organization, at least, thought he was going to be a really good goaltender. Sometimes it just doesn't happen overnight. It takes time to get acclimated to the league and understand how hard you have to work to be good in this league. Everybody saw the talent in him. He's now playing the way we thought he could."

By the way, that's the second time in recent days that Boudreau has acknowledged that Neuvirth has stepped up his work habits. Perhaps that has something to do with his sudden spike in effectiveness, as well.

What Boudreau really likes about Neuvirth, though, is the fact that the 21-year-old is able to easily shake off bad goals and shaky performances. Last game, he quickly bounced back from Maxim Afinogenov's goal, which somehow managed to slither past him.

"Nothing seems to bother him -- and that's good," Boudreau said. "He can shake off a bad performance and buckle down. He stays pretty calm in the net and doesn't let a goal get to him. It's like golf, a little bit. When a golfer has a bad shot ... the good ones can shake that off and forget about it. He's like that. Some goalies can't do that."

*I'm writing a story about Tom Poti for tomorrow's Post. As you're probably aware, the Caps' top shutdown D-man has been on an offensive tear the past five games, amassing six assists and a goal in that span. That matches his total offensive output from the previous 31 games.

Washington boasts the league's best offense, but getting production from secondary sources is always welcome -- and that's exactly what Poti is providing right now for the Caps, who have the fewest goals from the blue line (15) of any of the teams ranked in the top five.

"He's being more assertive [and] he's shooting the puck," Boudreau said. "We had a talk about our 'D' not shooting the puck to score. He's doing a lot of great things that he's capable of doing, that maybe he forgot he was capable of doing. We saw it last year in the New York [Rangers playoff] series when he had a goal and three assists. He was easily the best player on the ice. And when he wants to be, he can be that."

*Tomorrow, the Caps face a Lightning team they've knocked off a franchise record 12 straight times. The 'Bolts are also coming off a less-than -ideal weekend in which they started a game in New Jersey on Friday, played in Philly on Saturday, then finished their suspended game against the Devils on Sunday.

I'll check in again from the morning skate tomorrow.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 11, 2010; 1:54 PM ET
 | Tags: John Erskine, Michal Neuvirth, Tampa Bay Lightning, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Erskine not practicing
Next: Morning roundup: Poti makes an impact on offense

Comments

hope the boys bring a chilly weather beat-down to the Floridians

Posted by: ccape1 | January 11, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: cbs75 | January 11, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

i'm impressed with neuvy - feel a little bad for theo. the only way to tell if there is a need for a more experienced goalie is to play varly and neuvy as much as possible and make an evaluation at seasons end.
its a little scary to think about having two very young goalies carry the load for an entire season

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik,

If you see Tocchet, tell him the Caps fans want to know who he likes in this weekends NFL playoff games....

Posted by: SA-Town | January 11, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, Thanks as always for the update. Wondering if you could help shed some light on the contraversial NHL replay system that came to light with the Pitt/Philly game. In a nutshell, replay reviews are determined by the replay feeds the hometeam station sends them? that seems rediculous since, like the Pitt game, replays can be withheld until the puck drops making an overturn of the ruling impossible at that point. wanted your thoughts. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 11, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

This is a reference to the story I just mentioned. Seems to potentially take a ton of integrity out of the NHL!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 11, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@CapsSkins - They buh-WHA?!! THIS I need to see from official channels. WOW. Replay reviews are determined by the replay feeds the home team station sends them???

That *is* controversial! And ugly.

Posted by: irockthered | January 11, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...Apparently Toronto only can look at the reviews the home team station sends them. FSN Pitt did not send the replay that clearly showed the puck crossing the line until the Toronto concluded they couldn't tell and the puck was dropped. Then the footage magically showed up in Toronto that showed it was a clear goal. I am following a thread on cbs sportsline talking about it...mostly pitt and flyer fans: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/19503276

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 11, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Here's a youtube video of the FSN Pittsburgh feed. With obligatory "we saved that one" from the Pittsburgh color guy.

That's pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: Raber | January 11, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Can Tarik or someone explain why the teams don't get dressed at the practice rink? That seems very odd. Sure, there may not be highly glossy training facilities at a rink, but certainly a couple locker rooms could be made available for the Caps to dress at a rink. You would need three or so of the standard-sized rooms, I imagine. (Before Kettler's Cap side was finished, the Caps used some of the public rooms for their practices.)

Tarik makes this busing practice sound fairly routine which kind of shocks me. Every rink I've ever played at has some locker room facilities (except Wells, for some reason). I'm assuming they aren't playing in a covered outdoor rink in Florida.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 11, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I hope Erskine recovers quickly. He's been playing great lately, and I'd hate to see him sidelined. He's the toughest D man we have at this point.

Also, I'm so glad to see Poti in grand form. All BB had to do was sprinkle a little magic dust on him and tell him to step up the shooting from the blue line! That, plus the "A" sewn on his sweater have seemed to motivate him.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Now is as good a time as any to see if there are any bites out there to take Poti's contract off our hands....clear that cap space and that is another 3 mil per year to put toward that shut down Dman and getting Backs resigned.

Posted by: PhilR | January 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Good grief. This is terrible. I assumed that the "war room" saw all video feeds and did not realize that the feeds they saw were determined by the local channels, therefore quite likely by local fans.

Tarik--given that you had written about the war room and how goals are reviewed back in Toronto, this does seem like an excellent follow up assignment. I am not a conspiracy theorist but this kind of situation is ripe for all kinds of accusations, particularly in the tense microcosm of the playoff world.

Many Caps fans, myself included, still feel that the referring was biased for the Pens--in all of the series they played, not just with the Caps. I can't imagine the controversies that could arise if this video feed issue isn't resolved. Video feeds need to be multi-angled and provided in full and from objective parties.

I hope that Bettman and the NHL realizes that this is a warning shot across the bow for this season's playoffs. Integrity and faith in the outcome are paramount for the fans--or at least for this fan.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I want a picture, or report, from the Sunday TBL/NJD finish. How many people showed back up at the Pru to watch half-a-game in which the Devs were down by 2? Very curious.

Posted by: saintex | January 11, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | January 11, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"the Caps' top shutdown D-man.." Wow. Really? I guess you could argue that the Caps don't really have a good shutdown D-man, so Poti is as good as anyone on the team in that regard. I concede Poti has picked up his offensive game recently. But I don't see how anyone can call someone a "shutdown D-man" if the player is completely unable to handle power forwards in the crease.

Posted by: zmega | January 11, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure the War Room does look at all of the feeds, however according to the actual article that CapSkins put up "The Flyers' telecast was using the Pittsburgh video feed and did not have any video to send to Toronto."

Now I do think that FSN needs to be fined and maybe even have some of their rights to out of town highlights taken away to send a message that this is not right but as far as only reveiwing the home feed I have found nothing other then comments posted on chats to show that it is done that way. The problem came when the Philly station didn't send a crew to Pittsburgh and was just using their feed.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 11, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@Saintex

More importantly, who were all the morons (if any) who actually paid full price admission to get in?!

Crazy situation though.

Poti looks very solid right now. Perhaps this is time to shop him.

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | January 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

On the NJ game. I can't believe that they actually had people sitting in the top level. I would have let everyone sit in the lower bowl just for coming out and if the person who actually had the seat you were in shows up you just move.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Other good news from twitter

Semyon Varlamov (groin/knee) skated for about 45 minutes at KCI and faced shots from strength and conditioning coach Mark Nemish.
about 1 hour ago from web

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 11, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Is that Varly new nomenclature? Groin/knee?

Posted by: saintex | January 11, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97,

While that's good in theory, it could create riots if someome grabbed "your seat" if you went to the restroom, or with people going up and down the aisles looking for seats. The only "fair" thing is to use the seat that is yours.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 11, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

It could be worse. You could have Bill McCreary deciding which feeds to send.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 11, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Nonsense! The only "fair" thing to do is to make everyone stand and force them to buy at least one pretzel and hot dog for re-entry.

btw...

did everyone see this? Sorry if its old news to y'all...

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | January 11, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd see "Poti" and "top shutdown" in the same sentence. Maybe this is all part of the secret plan to trade Poti. ;) His stock now is certainly higher than it's been in a long time...

Posted by: butcherbaker | January 11, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

groin/knee sounds much better than knee/groin.

Posted by: LouLewis | January 11, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Washington Capitals goalie Seymon Varlamov on being physically cleared for the Winter Games: "Oy!!... If I'm not fully healed by Vancouver, I'll hang myself! For real. You can write that down." Wait ... "oy!"? Has Dmitry been deceiving us into believing Russians don't actually sound like elderly Jews? [Japers Rink]

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 11, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer

I admit I only followed the link and read the article but haven't researched it further. The situation is IMO completely nutty--seems to me that all video feeds should be standardized for all games, but there is much about broadcasting that is confusing to me.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 11, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Indeed--and especially during the Olympics. Too funny. Maybe after he retires he can go work in the war room to better ensure his desired outcome. Just kidding of course!

Actually that piece on the war room by Tarik was one of my favorites. I loved the idea of a command center watching ALL of the games simultaneously.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 11, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@saintex

About 3,000 people showed up for the rescheduled game. The game was initially a sellout.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 11, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

groin/knee sounds much better than knee/groin.

Posted by: LouLewis | January 11, 2010 3:46 PM |

Not for a goalie.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 11, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

To clear up some of the confusion. This is part of the NHL rule book rule 39.2.

"The Video Goal Judge will use all the facilities at his disposal to review the incident and reach a conclusion as to the accurate time of the goal. It is the responsibility of the Video Goal Judge to record the time of the disputed goal and the clock is to be reset accordingly."

And this from rule 39.5

"The Video Goal Judge shall have access to all replays that may be available by reason of any telecasts of the game and if there is no scheduled telecast the Club’s internal telecast of the game will be used."

Looking at those two parts it is clear that both teams send replays however since in the Pens/Flyers game Philly had no feed only the Pens feed was used. Also looking at these rules by not providing all of the replays it seems that FSN did not comply with the rules of the league and should have some punishment for doing so.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 11, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Also, Mike Danton is going to play hockey again. Anyone else remember him?

Posted by: richmondphil | January 11, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

re: Varly

Varlamov out another couple of weeks
Source CBSSports.com
Player: Semyon Varlamov

not the time to hear "lets unload theo" talk...at least for now

Posted by: RAJSTAR | January 11, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm.... Erskine "questionable", really? Tell me something I didn't already know.

Posted by: JSchon | January 11, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Also, Mike Danton is going to play hockey again. Anyone else remember him?

Posted by: richmondphil | January 11, 2010 4:45 PM |

Wasn't he the dude who was having an affair with his agent and then tried to kill him?

Did I just butcher the story?

Too lazy to google it.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 11, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon....a part of his body is injured! : )

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 11, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Curiousity got the best of me

Posted by: Fro_ | January 11, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Eh, who really knows the real story, haha. "Affair", "tried to kill him", etc.. all good enough to describe whatever the hell went on between those Brampton Boys and Frost.

I can't beleive he's going to play college hockey, haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 11, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Does the university of miami have a hockey team? If so, he'd fit right in.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 11, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Would have sounded a lot cooler if I had just said- The U.

Posted by: Fro_ | January 11, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, Danton won't be returning to the NHL ever, so he might as well get a degree and do something with his life.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 11, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Re: Danton

How can he play in college with NHL experience? That makes no sense.

As for his criminal past. It seems like the agent/coach screwed him up royally.

All you can hope for is that he's ok at some point.

Posted by: CF11555 | January 11, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97:

Actually the Devils invited all fans to move to the open lower level seats at the end of the "2nd" period.

They are also giving all fans who had a ticket to that game on Friday a free ticket to a future game. Not sure which one yet.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | January 11, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@butcherbaker - Re Tarik's discussion on Tom "the Caps' top shutdown D-man" Poti, on further reflection I'm pretty sure Tarik was being sarcastic. Tarik has expressed favorable views toward Poti in the past, but still, this one just went right over my head, I guess.

Posted by: zmega | January 11, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@ DevilsCapsGal: That is good that they let the fans come down. I am really surprised they made people pay even half price for parking. Maybe the people who didn't have tickets to the original but the people who already had to pay once to charge them again.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 11, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Its so cold where I am in fl. that theres sold ice outside my front door.Awesome! Just gets me more excited to go to the game tomorrow night.I cant wait! I was there when neuvy got his first NHL win,when mike green broke the scoring record,hopefully I'll be there to see the caps beat them for the 13 time in a row.Should be exciting.cant wait!GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 11, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

re: Varly

Varlamov out another couple of weeks
Source CBSSports.com
Player: Semyon Varlamov

not the time to hear "lets unload theo" talk...at least for now

Posted by: RAJSTAR | January 11, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Given that he was on the ice taking shots today I hope that this is an old report which since it came from Russia might be true. If the report of two weeks is from when he played his one game then sometime next week would be about two weeks.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 11, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

that sounds like old news

Posted by: joek443 | January 11, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97: my understanding is that if you had your parking receipt from Friday you did not have to pay. Also - there's lots of street parking near the arena on non-workdays.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | January 11, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone at the game tomorrow, if you see a group of four - Ovechkin, Varly, Green and Oates - that would be us. Sect 301 row K. CapsFan75 has 2 seats in 229 I think (club). I know several others have said they were going, but don't know seat locations.

One more night of freezing temps and then hopefully it's over.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 11, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I do remember a Caps game vs Florida at Cap Centre on Christmas break, either 1992 or 93. Had a snow storm that day and only about 2000 showed up. They invited everyone to the lower bowl early in the game and there were also free seats to a future game from that one.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 11, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

@tominFla

I actually went to the Caps snowstorm game as well. Remember the day well. Jan 13, 1982. A bad day. It was the Air Florida crash. And there was an accident on Metro on the Orange line that killed 3 passengers. It took 5 hours to get to the game and I didn't get there until the First Intermission.

I remember all fans at the game got free hot chocolate. Dennis Maruk had a goal.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 11, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

...Ovechkin, Varly, Green and Oates - that would be us...
Posted by: tominfl1 | January 11, 2010 7:03 PM

Hahaha - Oates.

Posted by: Raber | January 11, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Air Florida crash/Edmonton game as well. I won't forget it because I probably would have been crossing the 14th Street Bridge about the time of the crash if I hadn't gone to the game. Sparsely attended game, so we moved down to sit right behind the Edmonton bench. Gretzky and mates eventually prevailed, maybe 6-5 (?). Back in the Maruk days, the Caps could score but couldn't stop anyone.

Posted by: zmega | January 11, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@zmega,

I believe the Caps and Edmonton ended up tied in that fateful Jan 13 game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 11, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Crosby just scored against the Wild... just about all his goals are within 5 feet of the goalie...

Posted by: joek443 | January 11, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer,

I recall a similar thing last year. It seemed to be taking Semin forever to recover from an injury last year and he reported that he was not coming back anytime soon.

He was back less than a week after that report came out.

And at least Varly's skating again.

(Otherwise, if Varly's not back by the Olympics, time to remove the breakables from his room and make sure he's not left alone)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 11, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Wild Score...

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 11, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Talking about the old Capital Centre got me thinking. It's been so many years that I've forgotten the set up...didn't the seats just go all the way up with no real upper and lower bowls, just low, middle, and high? Embarassing, but I can't remember.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 11, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

no real high end zone seats and nothing really separating the upper and lower level at the ole Capital Centre...

the one thing every visiting team used to complain about was the lighting there.

Posted by: joek443 | January 11, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond

Yes, the seats at the old Capital Centre just went up and up in one large bowl. It was always a very dark building (not well lit in the seating area) and near the end, as the downtown building was being built, the owner allowed the roof to leak when it rained.

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 11, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl
hey buddy I'll be there with ya at the game.Andwhats wierd is I looked at my tickets and there also in section 301.But its row H seats 6,7,8.Me my wife and son will be there.Me and my wife will both have on our white ovi jerseys.So if ya see 2 white ovi jerseys and my 13 yr old son thats us.Maybe we'll see ya there,if not,have fun and GO CAPS!!!

another way you'll know its me is cause when the caps score, i get up and scream REAL loud for the caps!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 11, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

FSN Pittsburgh Under Investigation

from from Frank Seravalli of Frequent Flyers:

"The NHL is investigating Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh for not sending all available camera angles to league headquarters in Toronto for Simon Gagne’s apparent goal that was under review against the Penguins last Thursday, the Daily News has learned."

Posted by: MReilly9 | January 11, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

@joek443, icehammer97 re: Varly

the news doesnt appear to be old - came out today.
from there website, 8 hours 10 minutes ago...

here it is again:
"Varlamov out another couple of weeks
Source CBSSports.com
Player: Semyon Varlamov

News: Sport Express, Russia's biggest-selling daily sports newspaper, reports that Capitals G Semyon Varlamov is expected to miss at least two more weeks with his strained knee ligament. 'It's a total nightmare,' said Varlamov. 'The minute I recover from one injury, I get another.'"

i hope its old news but it doesnt sound like it is...

Posted by: RAJSTAR | January 11, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

gratefuldid: You should be easy to spot, H and K can't be far apart.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 11, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

gratefuldid: Thanks for clarifying that when the Caps score you cheer loudly for the Caps. I thought maybe you would cheer loudly for tampa on Caps goals :)

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 11, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

pitts lose :)

just wanted to share that love with you all! will rock the white tomorrow night!

Posted by: mrszilla | January 11, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@trunkenmath
haha-eww you got me(sarcasm).What i meant was usually when fans are in the other teams building and your team scores,sometimes they only clap or cheer but nowhere near as loud as if you were in your own building.Kinda maybe outta respect for the home teams fans.But what i'm saying is I dont care what other teams fans are around me,i still cheer as loud and crazy as if i was at a home game.Just sayn i get loud when the caps score,thats all.I dont care where it is.I just got alot of passion for my team.Is that ok-smartass! HAHA GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 11, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

No I knew exactly what you meant. I am exactly the same way. I was just being an ass :)

I do math for a living and when I see something like your post it makes me chuckle because it was so precisely quantified.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 11, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I think that when/if Varly comes back...I think we are witnessing the final days of the JT era in goal.

Like the guy but the kids are cheaer, faster, & soon to be better.

Posted by: Rocc00 | January 12, 2010 2:33 AM | Report abuse