Fedorov On the Blue Line (Updated)

After today's round of cuts, there's another interesting wrinkle as practice begins today: Sergei Fedorov is wearing a black jersey. The only other players wearing black jerseys are defensemen.

He did in Detroit years ago and, if you remember, he did it at least once last season.

Update:Here's what the defensive pairings look like:

Alzner-Poti
Morrisonn-Green
Fedorov-Schultz
Erskine-Jurcina

Update:Here's some of what Coach Bruce Boudreau had to say about Fedorov on 'D':

"If Sergei can play defense, we wanted him to get some sort of an idea of how we play on defense," the coach said. "Nothing more than that. We might try him on defense for [today's] game, just to get him a feel for it in case he has to go back there someday. I was just thinking outside the box."

Pressed on the matter, he added:

"Who knows? Do we want to carry seven natural defensemen? Do want to carry six natural defensemen? It gives you that extra [flexibility]. If you've got a guy that can go up and back, that gives you a little more flexibility on the decision you're going to make."

"It's a lot of stuff we're experimenting, because I don't want to experiment at all come next Thursday and Friday."

*Boudreau would not say Alzner has made the team.

"He's played well, and he played well again last night," he said. "We have a week. He's a young guy who has played four games pro, five if you count [the preseason] last year. We just want to see more of him."

*On the demotion of Lepisto, which interestingly enough came a day after the Coach prasied the young defenseman:

"It was his best game," Boudreau said, referring to Lepisto's performance last night in Philly. "But it's a difficult situation where we have to start playing some of guys who are a little rusty. We have to play them. Sami showed that if he can play the way he can play, that he play in the NHL."

*Lepisto, who was clearly upset annoyed about being demoted, told me on the way out of KCI:

"Obviously, it was not thing I wanted to happen," Lepisto said. "But now it has. I'm just going to work hard to get back here. I'm a little bit upset, but who wouldn't be?"

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 2, 2008; 2:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Four More Cuts (Updated)
Next: Tonight's Lineup Vs. Philly

Comments

4 mil for an old and slow forward who will now try to play D... nice...

Posted by: me | October 2, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

not first.

Posted by: mac | October 2, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah me, Federov did nothing for us last year, your right, he sucks...

Posted by: J | October 2, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope this isn't anything significant...I mean, I'm not a huge fan of our D, but I certainly think it is capable enough that putting Fedorov there is unnecessary.

Posted by: Nick | October 2, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

1) Not sure of the 'slow' part, but 'Me' is correct in pointig out its an expensive cost for a 5th or 6th defender!
2) Its probably either just for practice or a 'just in case' type scenario?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he just did not get the memo to wear blue today. Or is color blind and thought he was putting on red.

Posted by: tal | October 2, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

or maybe it means the team ran out of blue jerseys because they are over the cap and had to sell them to the guy who bought nylanders house cause he's moving to chicago but not before clarks groin acted up again which caused pothiers head to hurt and resulted in the caps accidentally putting OV on waivers and signing brasher to a 10 year $100M dollar deal which will be paid in canadian dollars cause the team is moving to winnipeg cause ted lost all his money in the stock market.

Posted by: panic!!! | October 2, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Tercero!

Posted by: Section 117 | October 2, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

interesting but I am sure this is a "what if" scenario. Or maybe they want him working the point on the PP?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

yeah, old and slow! and why do have to have that russian kid here for 13 years, that's just crazy!

Posted by: me too | October 2, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Maybe because there are only 7 D left and they to make even lines

Posted by: Blah Blah Blah | October 2, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I love Boudreau. Not even a year under his belt and already he's messing with the Type A fans. I hope tomorrow he gives everyone a spaz-induced coronary and puts Ovie in goal for a few minutes.

Posted by: zamobni | October 2, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

ALZNER, Karl
ERSKINE, John
GREEN, Mike
JURCINA, Milan
MORRISONN, Shaone
POTI, Tom
SCHULTZ, Jeff

Posted by: Blah Blah Blah | October 2, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The answer is simple, Borque earned a roster spot. So instead of having to try and send Fehr or someone else through waivers, they are going to send Alzner down. But they want to have 7 D-Men at the beginning of the year so they are getting him some practice time there. He will still play at F, but dont want him to be completely rusty if someone gets hurt and they need to move him.

Posted by: Pat | October 2, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

maybe schultz is teaching him the half slapper panzer!

Posted by: :) | October 2, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I second that emotion!!

Posted by: zamobni | October 2, 2008 2:47 PM

Posted by: oo7 | October 2, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

No Pat you are wrong. CB is getting sent along with Laing. Feds is playing D because if they want to scrimmage they need 4 lines of D. There are only 7 in camp given the last cuts.

Posted by: Blah Blah Blah | October 2, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It's GMGM's fault. He is disrespecting Feds! I heard that he also called Poti "the big dummy"!! Where does it end?

Posted by: HIS FAULT! | October 2, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, the humanity!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 2, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of Jurcina? PLEASE??!?!?!?!

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 2, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hay, maybe if this last long enough, they can gibe him a "D" on Yahoo Fantasy! My Byfuglin/Fedorov D core will rock!

Posted by: aaronk21214 | October 2, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@ blah blah blah

Thanks for informing me I am wrong, I really dont care. My point being Borque has busted his ass and deserves a spot. Alzner can be sent down, play about 20 or so games down in Hershey at least. That not only gets him more ice time, but also helps us with the Salary cap for late in the year if we need to bring an extra piece in.

Posted by: Pat | October 2, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

This week. There WILL be a trade of some sort by the Caps. Just a feeling I have...

Posted by: Leeguru | October 2, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of yahoo fantasy, when the hell are they going to make Kozlov a wing? I think he played center last year for all of 5 games, how do they get off saying Center?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 2, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

whatsup w/ all the haters on feds??? he has more stanley cups then the whole corganization combined from the top down... nylander is great but can he play in the playoffs, i hope he can... Fedorov will put up decent pts this year dont worry... best all around forward ever...

Posted by: vik | October 2, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Kozlov (the shootout specialist / loping giraffe) get traded as soon as possible. We've got enough talent to get by without him.

Posted by: Trade me right freaking now!!! | October 2, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy, zamboni, oo7, et.al. are right. It is the preseason -- now is the time for experimentation. Following every team action is fun but reading too much into everything will just cause a headache.

Posted by: uncatim | October 2, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

another tid bit... ov/backstrom combination didnt do so hot in the playoffs, but feds/ ov different story...

Posted by: vik | October 2, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. Maybe they want to trade him so we can clear the cap.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 2, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

What
the
hell

Posted by: Ben | October 2, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Damn 007. Merle & Jerry redux.

"I second that emotion"

Posted by: sidehillman | October 2, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

i agree with kozlov hes an under performer, he played wit ov the whole year so that meant he was open the whole time and didnt do much... just athought

Posted by: vik | October 2, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@ J and Me (at the top of the post)

YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS!!!!

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | October 2, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sidehillman,

excellent Garcia reference

Posted by: NJ | October 2, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

zamobni FTW!

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

There is a little known clause in the CBA that if you move a forward, who is old enough to collect social security in Russia, to defense you get to deduct half his salary from the cap. Voila! No more cap problem, you can stop obsessing now!

Posted by: Bob | October 2, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
Yes, I heard the shrieking - thanks goodness the volume was low!

me:
Slow? We must have been watching different players ...

Anonymous:
Don't think of it as a lot of money for a 5th or 6th defender, think of it as a lot of money for a diverse player who can perform wherever we need him and who is a strong leader.

Leeguru:
Do you know something that you would like to share? :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

4 Million to an Old Man.

Real smart, really prudent.

Posted by: Chief | October 2, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing I'm not an athlete, or at my age I'd constantly be called "old."

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

when he raises the cup... the 4 million will look like pennies...

Posted by: vik191 | October 2, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

WTF? Hope he doesn't play defense!

Posted by: Hew | October 2, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I like the possibility of having another offensive defensemen. Imagine him feeding Semin from the blue line, or Backstrom, or...

He's great positionally on D, too. We saw that last year in fact when he filled in for injured d-men.

It also shows the depths of his hockey knowledge to be able to play at NHL levels all these different positions. I imagine he'll make one hell of a coach next year.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Jill

26 isn't old for hockey. Or most any sport.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill -- I with you
my b-day was sunday and I realized if I were a hockey player I'd be ready to retire

and why must everyone be the coach/GM here
Bruce knows what he's doing -- GMGM just cares how he looks in the mirror while ignoring the team

Posted by: capsgary | October 2, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the loan default ?

TEB reported on it and now it's ignored ?

Posted by: Froman | October 2, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Who CARES about a "loan default"? They'll work it out and it won't go to court. People get sued all the time. Most are settled before hand.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, TEB CARED to report it a number of times, so what's the deal ?

Posted by: Froman | October 2, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the loan default ?

TEB reported on it and now it's ignored ?

I hear it's part of the bailout legislation passed by the Senate last night....

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | October 2, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

actually I heard Biden was going to touch on Federov's loan default in the speeches tonight

Posted by: stevo | October 2, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

May be true, Russians must be minority and Feds may benefit.
Glad all is well again.

NOW, when will Ted lose weight ?

Posted by: HeHe | October 2, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

He reported it because it is news when a celebrity get's sued for watching paint dry. But that's all you hear about unless it gets ugly and goes to court. They'll deal with it, and if it does get ugly, I'm sure TEB will tell us about it.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I like this one. I have not been overly impressed with him on offense this year, but looked good on the pk. So, he could play d, play pk and that means the other guys who shoudl eb getting minuted on offense and PP will: Like Ovy, Nyls, Backs and hopefully Semin (depends where his head is at any given week) but if not Clarke. And then maybe we can end the tarde nyls rumors once and for all!

Posted by: Caps Fan | October 2, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S - I wish!

@ capsgary - My b-day was Sunday too! :-)

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey why not put Ovie on D. I bet you he would win a Norris Trophy and hit just as hard and often as Phaneuf.

Darn, the D-Man the Caps have been searching for all these years is already on the team but playing the wrong position?

Posted by: red dragon | October 2, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I like BB, but "thinking outside the box" ?
I guess he's never heard of Scotty B.

I'm certain he's loving the defense assignment, just what an old veteran needs.

Posted by: Chief | October 2, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Wait, what? Some of the other guys looked rusty, so they had to send down Lepisto? lamesauce

Posted by: honed | October 2, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Those are some strong words from Lepisto

Posted by: AP | October 2, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see Lepisto out there than John "Penalty Box" Erskine. Rather unfortunate.

Posted by: Hockeymom | October 2, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov is on 'd' for one practice to even out the pairings and to dust some rust off in case he's needed on the back line for spot duty and look at the reactions. Calm down and take a deep breath he'll be playing center on opening night.

Fedorov is not the player he once was, but he's still an effective player. The Russians look up to him, he's a good role model and a proven winner. And that's why we're "better off with Fedorov". :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | October 2, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I posted that BB had better stick to his words, by keeping the best players in camp, rather than have to play politics.

Politics will ruin this team.

Posted by: Chief | October 2, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

OMG WE LOST A PRESEASON GAME AND FEDOROV IS ON DEFENSE AND BOUDREAU IS LOSING IT AND LEPISTO IS MAD SEASONOVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Posted by: KNEEJERK | October 2, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Once again lepesto is crying why? He was pretty freakin terrible when he played last year. And hockey mom it is John "sexy lumberjack" Erskine not penalty box

Posted by: stevo | October 2, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Feds will let you down.

He's finished, but thanks for the 4 mill...

Posted by: Hitch | October 2, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

And Ovie won't let us down.

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: Hike | October 2, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

No it is John "Molasses Feet" Erskine.

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

When Lepisto gets cut and Feds ends up on D for a prctice, it sure makes me wonder how sound the team defense really is.

Posted by: Who Cares | October 2, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

No Boo, just a hunch. I wouldn't know before hand anyway. Did mention something a few weeks ago. We'll see....

Posted by: Leeguru | October 2, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... has anyone checked out the new fancy pants nhl.com site?

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

OV the goalie! I like it. He did a pretty nice job late last year blocking shots in front of the net.

BB the PP force! Suit up Bruce. That's thinking outside the box.

GMGM the enforcer. Lots of experience and the cap hit can't be much.

And Thursday night and Friday will be on Tuesday night instead (or something like that).

Go Bruce and GO CAPS!

Paul R

Posted by: Paul R | October 2, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Russian machine old, but not break.

Posted by: Raber | October 2, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Dumb move...get rid of Erskine or Jurcina and let Lepisto play...he's better then either of them.

Posted by: hockeylover | October 2, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

All us old farts can empathise on this one. Chris Chelios broke his tibia on a blocked shot. He's out 3 to 6 weeks.

Amazing guy. 25 years in the league. Probably more time in the NHL than the ages of a lot of people on this blog.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

4 mil for an old and slow forward who will now try to play D... nice...

-- Old like a good wine

-- Slower than when he was younger, but still can beat in power skating a whole lot of NHL players twice younger. Remind you, he was faster than Bure and Mogilny (check YouTube) and never had knee ijuries in his life

-- try to play D? Man, you know nothing. Years ago, when he was a lot faster and making more than $4mil when he played D for Detroit. And he was great in D back then.

Posted by: Dave King | October 2, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

BB the PP force! Suit up Bruce. That's thinking outside the box.
GMGM the enforcer. Lots of experience and the cap hit can't be much.
Paul R

This reminds me of Blades of steel.

GMGM: Skinny player
BB: Medium/large player
TED: Big fat guy

Posted by: Joe | October 2, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S

I got Chelios's time in the NHL by a couple years...

@everyone

Just got back from the STH party at six flags. Pretty good time. I only bothered to get one Autograph. I got Alzner to sign the Sombrero since it made it's debut in Columbus when he got drafted.

After that my buddy and I just rode some rides. Once the autograph tables closed down, the players all starting riding rides.

My buddy and I first noticed Boyd Gordon and Chris Clark getting on behind us on the Superman ride. When it ended we went to get back on (literally no lines at all) and Ovechkin was getting on in front of us carrying a huge prize he won presumably shooting basketballs. I looked back and saw Semin and Fedorov,and Kozlov riding too.

Since the lines were so short we kept going back on Superman and the next time we got on a bunch of the guys were there at the back. Bradley, the russians, Fehr and others. Ovechkin let a couple younger caps fans sit next to him on a couple of the trips which is awesome.

I swear those guys rode the superman ride like 10 times in a row at least. Everyone seemed to have fun and the best part was Caps fans were respectful of the players and let them enjoy themselves.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Six Flags was a good time, y'all. You missed out. I got several autographs, but only got to do a couple of rides because my friend's knee gave out on her. Would have liked to do the rides more. Oh well. :P One of these days I will find someone to hang with at an amusement park who can keep up with me.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 2, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

OK. The debate's over. Biden won. Palin didn't screw up or stub her toe. Everyone's happy. We're all screwed.

Let's talk hockey!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Palin obviously won

Posted by: rj | October 2, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

With the cuts, where does the cap situation stand?

Also if I had to, first guy I work for a trade is Kozlov. No disrespect to him or his game, but frankly we have cheaper talent that can fill his slot. Fehr, Brooksie and Clarke can fill his slot.

Last, and this may be a stretch, but a friend pointed out that with 3 puck possesion centers, this team could emulate the red wings of last year. Backstrom, Nylander and Fedorov are certainly capable candidates.

What say you Chief?

Posted by: pch49 | October 2, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

There are two aspects of this team that I'm concerned about. First is the old one from the fire sale years, namely defense. I'm blue in the face over this one. We have an ofenseman pretending to be a D-man (Green), one who was hire to do that as well (Poti), and one stay-at-home guy (Mo). If Alzner stays up, he'll be another Mo-type guy eventually, but I think he heads to Hersey at the end of camp. It's a salary cap issue and the CBA special treatment of bonuses. I know we have a wiz-bang attorney that's a cap expert. I'm sure he's been doing overtime cranking the possible cap implications, but it wouldn't surprize me to learn 10 years from now that the reason we sent players A, B, C and D to Hershey was cap related.

The other major problem area is amazingly the PP. Let's face it, it bites. All the guns we have, and the PP is a midling one. We need to have a better plan. That's a coaching issue. One of the assistants needs to become an expert on PP real quick.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I saw OV play goal once with an open net. Damn near took his hand off.

If we give it a try, let's make sure that the young Russian lad we have for 13 years is properly equipped.

I call "Dibs" on mask design. It would include the logo from his new clothing line.

Posted by: OleMiss | October 2, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Joe, you're thinking of Ice Hockey.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | October 2, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S

What the hell are you talking about? The PP stinks?

It really drives me nuts when people actually spew from the fingers and not have any idea what they are talking about.

Caps finished the season 9th is the league, which in and of itself isnt bad, in fact there are 21 teams that were worse.

Now take into consideration that under Hanlon the Caps where 14 for 98 on the PP, thats 14.2%. Take away those horrid stats and we would break the top 5 teams on the PP. Normally, I'd do the math for ya'll folks but this isnt worth my time to figure out.

Posted by: JSchon | October 3, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

There are too many nervous ninnies in here...

Man up people...

We arent going 96 - 0. So brace yourself for long season. Enjoy the good times and stay strong during the bad.

Posted by: JSchon | October 3, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm very entertained by the clear lack of hockey accumen displayed by most of you.

Posted by: Capsfan | October 3, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

I am thinking of the roster the season after the strike, now this year's roster... Ok I'm better.
I have followed the caps since 82, outside of the freak season. This is the best roster I think that washington has ever had. Now if we could get a time machine and bring in a young Mike Gartner... I'd have to channge my shorts.

Posted by: Old Guard | October 3, 2008 2:06 AM | Report abuse

First off, good job lately TEB, your work has been appreciated.
I am pretty sure TEB asked Feds about the loan a week ago and Feds said it was a non-issue.
The status of the Salary Cap is a good question, arent they still 2mill+ over it without Alzner?
I'm with the poster that said they thought Kozlov will be traded to make cap space. It seems the most logical if they are indeed over the cap as shown on several sites.
If Kozlov does go, that will make room for Bourque's kid and they could still carry 7 defensemen.
Almost 100 posts on one blog, man would have thunked it!
Is it opening night yet?
GO CAPS!

Posted by: OustedSoul | October 3, 2008 4:35 AM | Report abuse

@OustedSoul - Without Alzner, and with Pothier on LTIR, Caps are under the cap. If we keep Alzner, something is probably going to change (most likely a trade of some sort), but I don't see much reason to worry. :3 We'll get the best team we can under the cap by opening day~

Posted by: Akira | October 3, 2008 5:55 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade, we're forward heavy and thin at the blue line with cap issues. If somebody has a decent low salary D man and is interested in Kozzy or a somebody something could easily happen.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 3, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

50 Things to expect at times this season.

50. We will lose games
6. Brashear/Steckel/Bradley will be the best line on the ice
5. Chief will complain about management
4. Wendel will ask why arent we playing Laing
3. smartfan will sound really dumb
2. People in here will overreact to negatives
1. People in here will overreact to negatives

This is why its fun being a fan.

Posted by: JSchon | October 3, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:
LOL!! :-) So did you run out of ideas for 1 and 2, or were you just trying to make a point?!? ;-) RE: Laich, I thought he went to the bank and the bakery - when did he add the butcher to his 'to do' list? And why does every place that he goes begin with a B? Hmm ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 3, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

JSchon

Ha ha. Nice post:)

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 3, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

So with coach BB trying this new D out, have we completely squashed the trade rumors for Nylander?

Posted by: Nlys Fan | October 3, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHA JSchon XD Thank you for for that post. Can we post that somewhere and make it a season checklist?

Posted by: this space for rent | October 3, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Nice Jschon.

Posted by: Super | October 3, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Well done, JSchon.

Posted by: uncatim | October 3, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

JSchon - ditto what everyone else stated. LOL.

only things to add arend Juice will pass the puck to the other guy in our zone and Johnny will get a shutout and spark a goalie controversy.

Posted by: pch49 | October 3, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Lepisto sent down after Bruce praised him...hmmm Olie and Eminger isn't here so I guess GMGM needs to concentrate on ruining someone else....and being the great GMGM he is we are putting our 4 million investment on D against the dirtiest team in the league....if he gets hurt!!!

Posted by: capsgary | October 3, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Chief, I mean, capsgary,
Do you really think Lepisto should be playing on the Caps squad this year? And GMGM was the one who sent Lepisto down? and GMGM made the decision to put Feds on D? Feds will get hurt on D, but not as a Forward?

WOW, you have it all figured out!
(((golf clap))))

Posted by: 828 | October 3, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

@capsgary

perfect example of #2 and #1.

Posted by: JSchon | October 3, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,

Maybe #1 and #2 should read "people will overreact to negatives and postitves"

nice list...how about a pool on when all 50 points are checked off as having occurred? My guess is Jan 15

Posted by: NJ | October 3, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Why is everyone SO concerned about the salary cap? I doubt the Capitals management is this worried ...

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 3, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Keep updating the list as to when it will be complete. You can cross off #1 and #2 already.

Posted by: JSchon | October 3, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Opps - JSchon - that was me as you... but if you were me and I was you, I would use your body to cross off the list as the items are completed.

Posted by: 828 | October 3, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

@828,

I thought I was the ONLY person that ever used that line! I feel less like a dork now.

Posted by: Jordan | October 3, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

JSchon

How many 5-3 PP did we have last year? I don't believe we scored on a single one of them. It should be running at 20% or better. We went 0-8 the other night. Granted, we didn't have AO on the ice. But with the skaters we did have we should have done a lot better than that.

Liked your list, too.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 3, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

BTW - from the STH party last night -- one of the things I love about Ovi. Some dude showed up to the Ovechkin line in a Wings jersey, and got booed by the crowd (natch). He fished from a bag a Fedorov jersey, and the crowd promptly chanted for him to put it on. He was up, and Ovi was waiting for him -- he waited for the entire thing to unfold and I'm pretty sure he was chanting with us. He was clearly amused as hell.

The guy did put it on, got his autograph - and took if off again, for which he promptly got booed.

I love Caps fans, and the Caps. XD

Posted by: this space for rent | October 3, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Also, JSchon, I think #12 has already happened - per OFB this morning, the regular season opener is sold out.

So, who is keeping the checklist?

Posted by: this space for rent | October 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Alzner needs to stay. Mark my words, he will be a top 4 D-man by the end of the year. Not an offensive threat like Green, but the old school shut down D-man we need.

Posted by: SabreHater | October 3, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Sorry this one is late, but great job JSchon, that one is going around my office now. Also I think #1 should be changed to "1. People in here will overreact over nothing"

Posted by: AP | October 3, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@zamobni - re: #8 in goal... ROFLMFAO! ZOMG, that is funny! :-)

Another way cool thing about last night was Ovechkin's reaction when people stopped cheering once he sat down. It was very cool of him to go, 'Hey!' and point at Schultz and get the crowd to cheer him, too. He could have just basked in the glory all by himself, but instead, he brought attention to the other guy. Ovechkin's a genuinely very nice individual from everyting I've seen - and heard. And it's seriously nice to have a sports superstar who isn't a Diva on OUR TEAM!!!

Posted by: I Rock the Red! | October 3, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@palin...I mean Biden...oh I mean 828
let's ignore and assume everything will be fine as long as we keep the rest of the world out of our circle

@Jschon and 828
I forgot no one can comment without your approval because it is your opion only area..and of course you up on the throne have all the correct answers

Posted by: capsgary | October 3, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse