Fedorov Tells Caps He's Leaving

A team spokesman told me moments ago that Sergei Fedorov's agent, Pat Brisson, has informed GM George McPhee that his client has signed a two-year deal with KHL club Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

I'm not sure how surprised McPhee was by the news. But I heard earlier today that McPhee had expected to discuss an extension with Fedorov, perhaps in a face-to-face meeting, after the draft.

According to a story on TSN.ca, Brisson said: "Fedorov wanted to fulfill his father's life-long wish of seeing his sons play on the same team."

Sergei's brother, Fedor, plays for Magnito.

While that may have played a role in Fedorov's decision, so did money. Fedorov's deal in Russia will reportedly pay him $3.8 million per. It's for one more year and a lot more money than the Caps were prepared to offer the 39-year-old, who brings tons of intangibles to the table but is clearly past his prime.

Fedorov's departure also puts pressure on McPhee to swing a trade for a second-line center at this weekend's draft in Montreal.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 25, 2009; 2:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Russian Reports: Fedorov Signs With Magnitogorsk (Updated)
Next: Fedorov Deal Is Done (Updated)

Comments

Now, it's official.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

meh

Posted by: woodsidej1 | June 25, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Feds! But for team development there was no way he should have been back. Feds is a fourth line center at this point in his career and the money he would want just wouldn't fit into the system.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I dont know. It's hard to confirm anything out of Russia until Sergei actually plays a game for Magnito.

so whats up with Jiri Hudler? Any chance we can get the rights? Too much money?

Posted by: SA-Town | June 25, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck Feds and thanks for your contributions the last couple of seasons! Stop back some time and I'll buy ya a beer

Posted by: md268 | June 25, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I know Detroit wants to try everything possible to keep Hudler. Its all going to depend on Hossa: does he stay? take a huge discount? do they send him packing? But no way Detroit will let Hudler walk without getting something in return.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 25, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Feds to a gr8 NHL career!

Posted by: Max231 | June 25, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Clowe SJS is available. They're shopping him. He could be a good addition on a wing. Plays a physical type game.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Nyls probably thinks his stock went up, but it hasn't.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | June 25, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

On a personal level, I'd've liked to have kept Fedorov, because I think he's all that... but it's better for the team, I think... :-(

My new favorite KHL team is Metallurg Magnitogorsk, though. Go Magnitogorsk!

Posted by: irockthered | June 25, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

GMGM 2b on 980radio in a bit

Posted by: Max231 | June 25, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Feds, but it was time. We wish you well. Here's to more cap space to sign a faster, stronger forward, and to keep top talent from Hershey.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | June 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Could the Caps have put the offer to the Leafs for Kaberle?

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I doubt it. It seems unlikely the Caps would be trying to trade for Bouewmeester's (sp?)rights when they don't have the Cap room to sign him to the monster contract he's going to demand...

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | June 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Im betting the Flyers have put the move on Kaberle.

They wanted JayBo but probably realize he is too much money.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Just because you think JayBo's going to ask for a lot of money doesn't mean we weren't in on him. I could easily see us going after Kaberle.

But like Tarik said the main goal is 2nd line Center.

Posted by: ThePat | June 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

SA- Town, I agree...my first thought on the Kaberle news was also Flyers.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | June 25, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Take out Feds, Brass, Koz and Maybe Nylander, this team just got a lot younger. Where does the veteran leadership come from now? The Caps may be the youngest team in the league again next year.

Posted by: RichC3 | June 25, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Well look at it this way, with Fedorov, Kozlov and maybe Brashear leaving the Caps will have about seven million in cap space to work with. This opens up trade options such as moving Theodore to Colorado (The Avalanche trust Theodore and need a goalie) for someone like Stastny or Hejduk to fill in for Feds. As for filling Kozlov's and Brashear's spot Keith Accoin and Alexei Kovalev (If Gm Gm can work out a contract) are options. The Caps could look to trade a defenseman for a backup/starter and then try to negotiate with Jay Bouwmeester or Mike Komisarik. The Caps should also look to trade Nylander. If the Islanders take Hedman as their first pick maybe the Caps can trade him for their second round or third round pick. Sending Nylander to Atlanta could also be an option. The Caps also have players in Hershey who could possibly fill in. These players are Laing, Osala and Bourque.

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Also this may open the door more than a crack for Gussy junior to play next year and Aucoin must be happy about this, opens a door for him as well.

Posted by: RichC3 | June 25, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Theo's not going to Colorado. He burnt the bridges as he was leaving. Also, he's too expensive for a seive.

The 2nd line center is sitting in the press box. The job is his IF he's willing to drive the net and corners hard. He also has to get out of the habit of circling. Still, having said that, we need a clear backup plan and it has to be cheap (read Hershey player).

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@gocaps01

there is no way in hell colorado lets stastny go for theodore. i would take it in a heartbeat but it will never happen

Posted by: _stevo | June 25, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

This is a reply to MReilly9's comment about the Caps trading for Kaberle: The Caps could have been the team trying to trade for Kaberle but who would they have offered? The Flyers were another team trying to sign Bouwmeester too. They could have offered Simon Gagne or maybe even Biron. But that seems unlikely because Biron will be a free agent...

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The Caps could have offered them a lot. We have some of the best prospects. I know they keep saying they aren't dealing Alzner or Carlson but I wouldn't be surprised if they deal one.

Posted by: ThePat | June 25, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

My stomach gets ill whenever we look to Nylander to fill in 2nd line center. I have nothing against the guy but I guess my impression of him has been tainted by all the things I've read. I can't say I've read too many good things about his play this past season. =/ I'd love to just see him play well on a team, maybe ours, if he's still got it in him. Otherwise....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Clowe is RFA* at 1.6 M. Trade to talk to him, though? I think there are ways of letting him know we'd be interested without going that far. Then we could pick him up 7/1

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan

I'm with you, brother. He was phenominal as NYR and his first half of his first year here. He hurt his shoulder and hasn't been the same since.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

better plan. pick up Clowe now, give him a decent offer and if he balks go to arbitration and pay whatever. I doubt it's more than 3 M.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Boston may be looking to trade Marc Savard...

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I still think a deal can be made with Montreal. They're hot to trot to get Vinny LeC from Tampa - still. They'll need cap room to do it. We could take a player or so from them to give them the room they need. We have a few spare D-men (Schultz, etc)... :)

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S

The Canadians have plenty of money to make the Vinny trade work. They literally only have 10 guys signed for next year. Their whole team is basically UFA's.

Posted by: ThePat | June 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

And they're too expensive for them to sign them all.

That's why they have to make room.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

so, if teams want to trade right now, they can right? Or do they have to wait til the draft?

Posted by: Andoy | June 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

They can trade - and will.

While it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade for a UFA, you're basically saying I want to be able to come to terms with him before the signing deadline of 7/1. That gives you a full week to get an agreement, and you're not in a bidding war with other teams.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

so does it make any sense for us to trade an RFA for an RFA.

So for example we trade ShaMo for Ryan Clowe? Both RFA's.

SJS will likely loose Blake and just freed up $5M from him. We need a winger and Clowe would work nicely in theory. Doubt this satisfies both teams and in reality we get the upside of the deal but it gets 1 d man out of the way.

I know there are rules around RFA's trades, their salaries, picks and a whole bunch of other stuff to take into account...that others have posted before, but I just don't have handy.

Posted by: caps28fan | June 25, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

It's all based upon whether you think you could come to terms with the RFA/UFA or not. If you think they'll be asking too much, and are determined to try anything to get it, it may not make sense to trade for the opportunity to talk to the guy.

It's very risky. At the same time, you're the only voice they'd hear for 7 days.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 25, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

When on the ice, Nylander looks lazy and lost, not hurt.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 25, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

So Fedorov is gone. THANK GOD! A classic case of "Addition by subtraction." Hopefully, Beagle will fill his spot. We need several guys with a little spine. Some thick "Bark' if you will. Enough with the "finesse." Way too much of that already. We need some real MEN! Not more wimps.

Posted by: Puckguru | June 25, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Nyls and Jose have contracts that make them unmovable! Our only hope is to buy them out at 2/3 of contract value, sign Johnson for 1.2 Mil. and hope to trade for a second line center - using a few Hershey assets if necessary. Anybody who thinks an NHL team would take either Nyls or Theodore at 4.5 Mil plus is dreaming.

Posted by: jlewis5 | June 25, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Not so sure the caps will need to deal for a 2nd line center as it seems to me they have enough depth already. The real problem IMO is the wings as they are already dressing 4 - 5 centers with Nick, Brooks, Stex, Gordo, and Nylander. The big IF is if Fehr or Flash can step up to 1st 2nd wing spots and chip in.

Posted by: pch49 | June 25, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Greg S...

Nylander is the 2nd line center. Hopefully he got the message this season and works his a-- off this summer.

The guy is an easy target on these boards but he's pretty freaking talented. If he's fit and motivated he is exactly what you'd want in a 2nd line center.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | June 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"Boston may be looking to trade Marc Savard..."

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

*********

If true, Caps should jump all over that opportunity. Savard was well liked by Ovetchkin at the all-star game. If Ovie likes him, that's enough for me.

When asked what the Caps need, Leonsis said "big center." So I predict that if the Caps don't trade their 1st round pick, they take one of the following centers:

Chris Kreider, 6'2", 201 lbs
Peter Holland, 6'2", 185
Philippe Paradis, 6'1", 196
Drew Shore, 6'3", 190

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | June 25, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@Puckguru

Yup, we had way too many multiple Cup winning, first-ballot hall of famers on this team. Crawl back under your bridge, doofus.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | June 25, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't count Brashear off of the Caps yet. At this point, it would be stupid for GM not to re-sign him.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 25, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Sergei for all that you have done as a mentor and scoring key goals for the Caps. Thank you for opening the door in the NHL for Russia. I will miss your words of wisdom and great inteviews. I hope to see you back one day with the Caps as a coach.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | June 25, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Free Agent
Semin-Nylander-Fleischmann
Laich-Steckel-Fehr
Bourque-Gordon-Bradley

This is the path of least resistance. Getting rid of Nylander will be next to impossible. And if we did, we'd have to pay somebody else to replace him.

He's got to suck it up and earn the money.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | June 25, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Ted wants big centers... Savard is 5-11 I think the
Bruins are considering trading Kessel too

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll eat my words gladly but I don't think Nylander plays more than 30 games next season (assuming he's even on the roster to start the year).

And he's not a 2nd line center anymore.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 25, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

[Semin-Nylander-Fleischmann]

oh god no, i'll pluck my own eyes out if I have to watch that sorry line

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 25, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Ted wants big centers... Savard is 5-11 I think the
Bruins are considering trading Kessel too

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Savard PLAYS big. Thats all that matters. He'd be a wonderful addition if we could get him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 25, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Nylander just wasn't a fit for Boudreau's system. He likes to see the ice from behind the net or the corners in a set offense.

He looked good the first half of '07-'08 because Hanlon ran a set offense and Boudreau hadn't implemented his offense fully. His game isn't designed to keep up with this group and this offense.

Hopefully some GM out there will realize that and make an offer for him. Even if it's a 2nd rounder it would be worth it to free up the cap space. Probably wishful thinking.

Posted by: feyd991 | June 25, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 I agree with you but what are the caps willing to give up

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

feyd991 the islnaders could be a taker garth snow seems desperate

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

What the Caps need is a big center and a true RW that will crash and play both ways with Ovie and Backs.

Posted by: feyd991 | June 25, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious where Gustafsson is in the Caps plans. If he has a fraction of the talent Backstom has, and can play Bruce's system, then that will change the dynamic considerably.

Posted by: pch49 | June 25, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I just have this gut feeling that Theo is on his way out. It looks to me like they would far prefer Johnson and (hopefully) Varly. I know he has another year on his contract. But he doesn't have a "no trade" agreement as far as I know. What options do we have? Does he have to agree to be traded? There must be a team that will consider him an asset somewhere.

Posted by: caraveli | June 25, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

kaberle has 2 years remaining on his contract hes 4.25 mil per year

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Please fix the Fedorov spelling on the WashPost home page. It currently says "Federov."

Posted by: boutros23 | June 25, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy for Federov. He could have been just another player (OK, famous veteran)here in the US. But now he can go to Russia and be a big man on campus....if the people have forgiven him for defecting so many years ago.

Why no talk about Giroux? I saw him score # 59 and 60 up in Hershey. So he's 27 and I know its the AHL, but it's still 60. Shouldn't he even have some trade value?

Posted by: rjma1 | June 25, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think Brooks Laich could be our 2nd line center, with perhaps Giroux as a third line winger?

Posted by: waynekubicki | June 25, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

i want Ryan Clowe

Posted by: fullright | June 25, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

giroux never plays well with the caps...

Posted by: gocaps01 | June 25, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

So glad I saw Feds play. I'll wear his jersey with pride.

Posted by: pirate1 | June 25, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Theodore trade bait

1st call ups from Hershey:

Laing, Aucoin, Osala

Kronwell, Sloan, Helmer

Neuvirth

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | June 25, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Full circle, right Feds? Best of luck back in the Motherland. You were a great hockey player thus, a great entertainer.

Posted by: mortified469 | June 25, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse