Fedorov's Agent: We're Still Talking to Caps

I just spoke to Sergei Fedorov's Los Angeles-based agent, Pat Brisson, who confirmed that he's still pursuing a deal with the Caps for his client.

Brisson stopped short of discrediting the Sport-Express report, but said he's been assured by Fedorov that no deal has been completed with any team in Russia. Brisson did, however, confirm that Fedorov is planning to travel to his homeland in the coming days to visit his family, and while there, expects to speak to a number of KHL clubs.

In the meantime, Brisson said he'll continue to explore the possibility of getting a deal done with the Caps, though he has not held direct talks with GM George McPhee. It's possible the two will have a discussion at the draft combine in Toronto, he added, but there's nothing scheduled as of yet.

"Sergei has a lot of options in the KHL, but we'll still continue to talk to the Washington Capitals," Brisson told me by phone. "I'm not sure right now whether Sergei will play for the Capitals or [in Russia next season]. He doesn't want to put a timetable on his decision, but he's probably going to make up his mind soon."

I'll have more on this and some other items of interest later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 26, 2009; 2:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Kozlov to KHL?
Next: Assistant Coach Leach Won't Return; Hauswirth Signs

Comments

I hope Feds will be a Capital next season. And not just because I just bought a Feds t-shirt. His leadership and continued mentorship will be important to the team.

Posted by: CapsChick | May 26, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

That is agent-speak for see you later Caps unless you match the offer.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | May 26, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if payment to agent is any different with contract signed with KHL vs. NHL?

I am a little concerned with the news that our two elder Russians may be leaving at the same time. But then again Varlamov seems like a pretty level headed guy. Maybe he can help mentor Semin.

I know this is way off topic, but curious if anyone has heard anything about Olie. Has he moved everyone to Toronto now that the season/school year is up or did they all go back to Washington state? Is he going to play for the Leafs next year or is he going to retire?

Posted by: Kim-3 | May 26, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I would imagine that Federov has a little bit more loyalty than that, CTCapsPhan. =) I'm with CapsChick. I'd like to see him back next year for a reasonable price. *crosses fingers*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 26, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Feds back rocking the red next fall...but if he expects us to give him that kind of money with a pending salary cap cut...cya sergei and thanks for the service.

Posted by: capsfansteve | May 26, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

This is the same Federov that held out on the Red Wings for more money and then left to play for the Ducks because they offered more money. I want him back but I think that he is going to make the Caps match any offer he is given.

Posted by: icehammer97 | May 26, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'd maybe bring him back one season but wouldn't match a two year deal. Not for that price. There are starting to be a lot of openings in the line-up that need to be filled. With Kozlov leaving they'll need to pickup a top 6 winger. And they will need a legitimate 2nd line centre (who they never really had last season, Fedorov was pretty good but he should really be more of a 3rd liner). Plus the defensive problems. I hope they are pretty agressive early on for a centre, a right wing, maybe another left - I'd like to see Laich on the 3rd line, and at least one good stay at home defenseman, but it should really be one good shutdown defenceman and a second veteran D.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 26, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

CapsChick, I just bought a Feds jersey so he had better re-sign!

Posted by: pirate1 | May 26, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | May 26, 2009 3:03
---------------------
He was a younger man back then. And a few steps faster. I'm sure even Feds himself would admit that.
Put me on the list of those who hope he comes back to DC.

Posted by: tess2201 | May 26, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Lets all get real: With Fedorov and Kozlov, very different animals if you will, but both hold us back. Yes - Ovie loses a few of his countrymen, but he wants to win rather than have more vodka drinking buddies after the game. Feds is not getting any faster, and despite all the accolades what I saw on the ice was smooth puck handler, but someone whose shot is a tad slower and a tad weaker to beat A-rated NHL goalies. Kozlov was never really a fit in the Boudreau scheme. His wrist shot is as wicked as it gets, and he is a great OT shootout specialist. Das Vidania guys - we need to get younger, faster and more of a net charging team.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | May 26, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

As I have already said, it doesn't matter at all.

the KHL had a redraft it's first year for a reason people....Feds will not see most of that money...Granted, Metallurg is a somewhat "stable" club, it's still part of the "we don't pay players in full" KHL.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 26, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Feds back, and I think he likes living in D.C., but I don't see how they can pay him anything near $4m a season. If I were in McPhee's shoes, I make an honest effort at getting Feds back to help the team for one more season but I wouldn't pay anything more thatn $2m, if that. If Sergei has a better offer to play out in Malkin's home territory, and wants to go, I wish him well.

Posted by: saintex | May 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Federov knows the score in Russia. if he goes, he either will get his money up front, or he will know the risk he is taking. If he does it anyway then he must really have wated to go in the first place. I am sure the Caps will make him a fair offer for what he brings to the table. He had a very average year while limiting his ice time to keep him healthy. Yes he scored a big goal in the playoffs, but he was of more value as someone to keep Varlamov more comfortable in his new surroundings. By next year even he will speak better english and begin to acclimate. I like Federov, but with a cap you can't keep everyone and you can't over pay anyone and expect to compete year in and out. I agree with the 2 million number even for two years, but no more than that. I really like Kozlov and if I had my choice I would keep him, but i am sure we can't compete with the offers he is getting in Russia. Again though if you can't collect, you can have as big a contract as you like.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | May 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Federov hurts the team? Are you kidding me? He was a plus 4. That means he was on the ice for more evenstrenght goals then against I wouldn't say that is hurting the team. He was also 8th on the team in points (in only 52 games) and 6th in Points Per Game. He also is great on the faceoffs with a winning % of 56.2 in the regular season. There is so much about getting younger but who is the defending Cup champions? Detroit and they have age and experice and they beat a youthful Pittsburgh team and are doing the same to a youthful Blackhawk team this year. Federov's experience is key to the Caps. Also from what I have read the offer is 3.8million the the Caps will have to compete with and Federov made 4 million this year so it is still a lower number (not by much but still).

Posted by: icehammer97 | May 26, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I know alot of people dont think Laich can take over the #2 center spot but I think he can.

His production has gone up the last few years and he has had back to back 20 goal seasons.

He is only 26 years old, so he is no where near old.

He has definitely ouyplayed Feds, so I dont think we are losing much, IMO.

I love Feds, but he hasnt done much while he has been here and he is just too much of an injury risk.

Laich is durable and the type of player we need more of. One who crashes the net. He is getting better every year and playing along side Semin would help. He can also play wing, so he is very versatile.

I think Laich is underrated here, but I wouldnt mind going after another center, but we dont have the money.

I'll leave you with this quote....
"If you want money, go to the bank.
If you want bread, go to the bakery.
If you want goals, go to the net."

Posted by: digster1013 | May 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The Federov era was nice while it lasted, but he's not a 2nd line center any more and he's not worth more than 2 mil for a 1 year deal. The Caps shouldn't give him the cash or the 2 year deal. He's slowed down, can't score goals anymore (aside from that 1 big clutch goal), and he doesn't bring the physicality we lack. Kozlov is in much the same boat except he did pot a few in the playoffs. These guys helped us get this far but they can't take us the Caps to the next level. They were good times but its time to part ways.

Posted by: ParticipatoryDemocracyNow | May 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

@Kim-3 - I heard a hockey talk show soon after the trade deadline discussing the Kolzig trade. It was included to even up the trade between TO and TB, but they added that the rumor from TO was that Kozig would retire and take some sort of front office job there.

Posted by: ds_kelly | May 26, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Let Feds and Kozlov go and sign Kovalchuck!!!!

Posted by: Piligvinn | May 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

It was nice rooting for you Sergei, please report to HR for your honorable discharge.

Posted by: ejohnsto | May 26, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

If Kovalchuck is a free agent that would make an unstoppable line or 2. Can't see fitting everybody under the cap and we've got to make room for Semin next year.

Posted by: chillwill1 | May 26, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

ds_kelly, wouldn't surprise me if Olie took a position with the Leafs. as I recall, he and Wilson always got along.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 26, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

> chillwill1

Yes! The only problem with Kovalchuck is that he is also a LW! We have two already: Ovie and Semin

Posted by: Piligvinn | May 26, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The Ducks didn't offer more money.

The Wings offered him 4 years at 50 million; the Ducks offered 5 years at 50 million.

He signed with the Ducks because he was angry with the Wings. I recall the articles his father gave at the time to the press denouncing the fact that Bowman put Sergei on defence. I remember thinking at the time that we needed to put Sergei's Dad and Lindro's Dad in a cage and let em battle it out.

It was about that time that Sergei got caught drinking & driving. Sergei's got more problems than people realize.

Recall too, he was on the verge of bankruptcy not long ago, and Russia might be a good place to earn money his creditors will find difficult to get at.

Posted by: btcg | May 26, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I know the times have changed but I don't see Fedorov going back to Russia to finish his career.

I still remember the time when he defected, the first young Russian superstar to defect. I think he will end his career in the NHL.

Posted by: joek443 | May 26, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse