Fedorov's Status Still Undetermined

I managed to catch up with Sergei Fedorov for a moment this afternoon as he headed to a rehearsal for tonight's NHL Awards Show, where the veteran center will present the Hart Trophy.

Fedorov didn't want to go into details about his negotiations with the Caps, but he did say that he didn't go to Russia last week with the intention of trying to secure a deal with a KHL team. He also said his primary focus remains re-signing with Washington -- if the deal is right.

"I went on vacation," Fedorov said of his trip to Moscow. Asked if he talked to any KHL teams while there, he issued a terse "No."

Fedorov would neither confirm nor deny that he's got a deal on the table to sign with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. A report last month claimed he's agreed to terms on a two-year deal that would pay him $3.8 million per season.

"Reports are reports," Fedorov said. "It was [written] during the playoffs that I already had signed somewhere."

"I like the hype," he added with a laugh. "It sounds great. But it sounds like someone is jumping the gun and putting words in my mouth and my agent's mouth. It's interesting."

Pressed on the matter, Fedorov said, "In a private sense, maybe I did or maybe I didn't. But it's not something I'm going to discuss in the media, period. My main goal was to go to Russia and relax and have a good time. And I did. I didn't think too much about hockey."

The 39-year-old said he plans to meet with his agent, Pat Brisson, today or tomorrow here in Las Vegas so the two can discuss his options.

"Yeah, I [want] to re-sign with Caps," Fedorov added. "But if not, there are other possibilities. I don't have a strict plan. I had a good time in Washington. But there's not much I want to say anymore because it's part of the negotiations."

GM George McPhee confirmed to me yesterday that talks with Fedorov are ongoing and that he'll be able to say more on the matter as July 1 approaches.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 18, 2009; 3:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updates on Winter Classic, Steroids
Next: Video: GMGM on Washington Post Live

Comments

JP is reporting that Sloan was re-signed.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 18, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Go Feds!

Posted by: whiteltng | June 18, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

You cant just walk away from the Red Army that is Verizon Center.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 18, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

why would you want Feds back? He clearly ran out of steam, he'll be even more lethargic next season. He's not the missing piece to the FUTURE puzzle. I'd rather give a young guy a chance if we're not going the free agent route. Lets get some young legs in there. Having Feds and Nyles as our 2nd and 3rd center was just not very appetizing heading into this past season.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

thanks feds but no thanks...its been real....dos vadonya ....enjoy Novosibersk

Posted by: wendel2 | June 18, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree but if could sigfn him for a cheap price, why not?

Posted by: Andoy | June 18, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

From last post:

but he's also benefitting by spending so much ice time with the greatest scorer on earth.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 18, 2009 4:12 PM |

Wow. Who would have thought that a Pens fan would give the Caps Ovie props like that, eh? "Greatest scorer on earth."

I'll bet he just got voted off the Pens island.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 18, 2009 5:24 PM

Posted by: Greg S. | June 18, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Feds looked pretty damn good on the back line. I think at the right price he can still add something to the team...Drop him to the third line, and let him skate on the power play.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 18, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

If Feds will sign for under $2m then bring him back. I believe we need a second line center and I'd like to see Feds on the third line and helping with the youth. I still think Semin and Varly need some leadership and I'll take it from Feds. With Kozlov no doubt off to the KHL and if Feds will come in at 50% of last year, it's worth it. Give him a little less ice time and he'll be fine.

Posted by: saintex | June 18, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I say we make Feds the assistant coach to replace Leach. Might not pay as well, but less wear and tear on the body, and plenty of opportunity to impart knowledge to the young ones.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 18, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

tess...that is an excellent idea. Grand. Keep the leadership and coaching and kill the wear-and-tear. I second the motion. Russia House for everyone.

Posted by: saintex | June 18, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1,

is that a serious question? did you even watch the playoffs??

No, he's not the player he was 10 years ago but he can still get it done in the playoffs. He is still the second best center iceman on this team. The key with him is not to play him too much during the regular season and wear him out.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

fedorov doesn't have what the Caps need anymore.

Posted by: oo7 | June 18, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I know Nicklas Lidstrom is a great defenseman, no question. However he could win his 7th Norris Trophy tonight and I find that somewhat ridiculous.

If he wins it again, that will be one less than the number of times that Bobby Orr won it and two more than Ray Bourque. He's nowhere near the dominant players that they were. I'd take Scott Stevens over him and Stevens never won it. It just shows the lack of quality defensemen in this leaque nowadays.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't consider Lidstrom and less quality then Bourque or Stevens.

Posted by: saintex | June 18, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Several new posts.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 18, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

3.8 for _two_ years, maybe, but I'd rather see 2ish for _one_ year. 3.8 is _way_ too much. -JW

Posted by: JWJr | June 18, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Lidstrom's qualities are subtle, not easily noticeable by casual fans. But if you watched Ray Bourque play, you couldn't help but notice him because nobody had the puck more than him.

Like I said Lidstorm is and has been a great defenseman but he's not the dominant player that Bourque was.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

$1.5 million a year or let him go. He's old and slow.

Posted by: FancyDan | June 19, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

We need Feds back.

How quickly people forget the game 7 against New York, and how Fedorov scored the biggest goal by any Capital in the last 11 years.

The experience, leadership, and yes, skill, that Fedorov brings helped turn this team into a contender and can make it a champion next year.

Posted by: greener1 | June 19, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely bring Feds back - he's the best-passing d-man on the team [yes, I realize he's a center; therein lies the problem]. He was great in the playoffs and down the stretch, the coach and Ovie love him - say no more.

re: Bourque - as a recovering Bruins fan [thanks, Jacobs and Harry Sinden] I watched a ton of #77 back in the day; helluva player. And, Lidstrom's better.

Posted by: govtimbo | June 19, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse