Feds Take Over Fla. Steroids Case

From The Tampa Tribune:

A suspected steroids dealer who claims professional athletes are his clients is expected in federal court this afternoon. Richard Thomas, 35, of Lakeland is charged in both state and federal courts.

Nothing new regarding Thomas's claim that he sold steroids to the Caps and Nats. But there are some interesting details about how the bust went down. Click here for more details.

Here's another story from the local ABC afilliate.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 1, 2009; 3:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Detroit Goes Up 2-0
Next: Morning Reading List: Bears at Their Best

Comments

Tarik: What is your opinion on the merits of this steroid case as it pertains to the Capitals?

Posted by: uncatim | June 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The guy looks like a maroon. Someone definitely hit him with the ugly stick on his head. Minor speed bump to the next season. Is it September yet? *sigh*

Go, Redwings!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 1, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread:

@mrszilla: I agree with your list of fans obnoxiousness. One thing that has always struck me is that the Pens fans seem to have this enormous inferiority complex; I just don’t get it as they have had so much success over the years against us. I think it really must come down to the cities themselves – DC is the power center of the universe and Pittsburgh is, well, Pittsburgh. Not a bad place per se, but it ain't no DC, warts and all.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | June 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Good to know Fedorov is on the case.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

If we lose Tarik to the Redskins beat, I'm gonna curl up and cry. Just stating for the record.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | June 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Thiazz: LOL! That is the same thing that I thought when I read the headline.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 1, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I just wish my laugh track would come through over the internet.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 1, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

capsfansteve:
I agree and brought up the Walker hit myself. My issue is consistency across the board. Neither one should have been waived. At this rate, why bother having rules? If the league finds it necessary to throw stuff like that out then they should start at the source and toss the rule(s).

Posted by: Boo- | June 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Boo- my point exactly. Call me bitter (this is one of the few times where that might be valid) but even though they are different penalties I think they decided to throw the book at brash and do literally nothing to other teams/players. I understand one is discretionary and the other is automatic, but wasn't the automatic rule made for a reason? To disregard a rule you made automatic and throw the book at someone for a call that is discretionary screams bias right there.

Sec117- Totally. Pens fans seem to suffer from a paranoia that everyone is against them. Which is funny only because I think every other team's fans would agree that the NHL is in love with the Pens and wants to see them succeed. (Sort of like Rags fans calling us foul-mouthed, both fan bases seem to suffer from chronic case of projection) I def think of our team as the dark horse between the two but they love playing the victim card. If the diva's stiletto fits, wear it I guess.

Posted by: mrszilla | June 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla: I find it hilarious that a New Yorker would call anyone foul-mouthed, especially after some of the comments I overheard about Semin at game 5.

I guess we'll see what comes out of the steroid case. I doubt there's anything to it, but let them dig.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Last night's win was JUST For you guys.

I guess somebody told the Penguins to be in bed by 10pm because they were very cranky towards the end.

Haha! I thought they were talking about Fedorov for a second.

Caps will win the Cup in a couple years. They have a lot more depth than the Pens. Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, Carlson, Alzner, Neuvirth, Laich and our old Flash! You know it better than I do.

Posted by: hockeytownUSA | June 1, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla and capsfansteve

I have already addressed the Walker incident in comparison to the Malkin incident.

They are incomparable, other than the fact that the rules were rescinded. Cheap shots should never go unpunished...instigators/tie downs..sure, go ahead.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

don't sya that! It reminds me too much of the day the Nats readers lost Svrluga to the 'Skins. (although I was thrilled to see him "loaned" to the Caps for the playoffs. I want a year round TEB-BS Caps coverage tandem)

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Wings beat the Pens makes me soooo happy! And especially when the Pens lose their cool at the end and Malkin starts fighting! ;) Just makes me glad that Ovie will still have a chance to win the cup before Sid. Pens will probably win game 3 but in the end the Wings will win it all again this year.
every year?

It's the Finals and Malkin still hasn't shown up through two games! ;) But in all seriousness, the Wings have got to let someone else win next year (like the Caps!) don't they get sick of winning it?

Go Red Wings but most importantly go BEARS!!!!! Neuvyyyyyyyyy!!! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | June 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla and capsfansteve

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Pardon? No offense, I appreciate your opinions, but you say that like your word is the end all be all....I happen to think this Malkin call just adds to the pile of unbalanced calls they have made this entire playoff season. You might disagree but that doesn't mean I can't comment on it!

Posted by: mrszilla | June 1, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

the every year is supposed to be after winning it? it got all messed up.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 1, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Pardon? capsfansteve brought it up, when me and Boo had already had an extensive back-and-forth on the Walker incident.

I re-summarized my opinion for you.

Wow...calm down.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Totally calm, but it's not like its the first time a debate was repeated from a previous board or carried over from the end of your discussion... Just thought it was an odd comment is all.

Posted by: mrszilla | June 1, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@hockeytownUSA: Thanks, and a mighty nice one it was too. Living proof that what goes around comes around :) Finish 'em off, won't you?

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next year or two.

Aren't there enough reporters on the Skins beat?

Posted by: kittypawz | June 1, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

If it was Ovechkin or Semin, you guys would be yelling "but it's the finals!" It's such a petty rule, a rule that shouldn't even be there in the first place, that I don't think he should be suspended. Malkin is half of the Pens offense anyway and they still can't muster up a good period against them, let the flightless foul have their struggling chance.
Walker should have been suspended. The same way Brash should have. But I just don't think people should get suspended for petty things in the Finals..I am a fan of good hockey, and would like to see a good series..despite the Pens sucking it up hard and not delivering on that. Seriously though, without Malkin, the Pens WILL be swept. At least give slightly better chances to escape a sweep to the poor guys.

Let's talk about other things that happened in the game:
Like how Zetterberg (although I love him) covered the puck with his hand in the crease in both games. That should have been 2 different penalty shots for the Pens.
Or how about that Hossa "slash" that all the Pens fans are crying about. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Headlines-Debunking-Marian-Hossa-s-slash-?urn=nhl,167217

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

What's with the comments about Tarik possibly covering the Redskins? I went through some of the threads and can't find where it started or it it's "reliable" information.

If it is - say it ain't so Tarik!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | June 1, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

The same way Brash should have. = The same way Brash was.

Let me correct that.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 1, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

If they trade Neuvy, Rachel will be heartbroken! :)

Posted by: tess2201

Tess, you are absolutely correct.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 1, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Phil, Malkin should not be suspended for that whatsoever. I think the whining from Pens fans about the officiating is tilting towards ridiculous...they are letting stuff go both ways. How we get called whiners for complaining about the officiating in our series (myself I only really was upset with Game 3 when the Pens had 6 in a row and a 7-2 advantage on the whole) when they ended up with something like a 2 to 1 edge in PP chances I just don't know.

I do think they could call the Wings more for interference but Hossa and especially Helm have been seeing the same thing. It's the exact same thing the Pens were doing to our fore-checkers in our series (which I pointed out a ton after Games 1 and 2).

It's sickening to see Detroit do it without a Draper or Datsuyk. They've definitely had all the bounces and the weird "I'm Zetterberg so I can dive in the crease and freeze a puck" move...but it just has that inevitable feel of another Detroit Cup win. Just makes me worry if we climb the mountain in the EC next year we might have to deal with them in the Finals as well.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | June 1, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Dave, I totally agree with you about the whining and the whole luck thing. I'm happy Malkin didn't get suspended cause Pens fans would be saying that's the reason they were losing (as if he's even doing anything right now.) I chuckled everytime the Pens hit the post. I thought
to myself, you can't always have all the luck, especially after the two gifts we gave them in OT. Their luck was bound to run out soon. Now I hope the Red Wings send the Pens fans home crying tomorrow night. That would be a wonderful sight!

How painful for Pens fans would that be? To lose to the same team in the finals in 2 years?! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | June 1, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's update:

Kozzy Joins Feds in Fla. Steroids Case Investigation

(picture Kozlov and Fedorov wearing suits, long coats and sunglasses, Law and Order style)

Posted by: tmac2yao | June 1, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

If they trade Neuvy, Rachel will be heartbroken! :)

Posted by: tess2201

Are you kidding me? They would never do this to Rachel. They are scared of her. Unless, of course, Neuvy requested the transfer because he was heartbroken over Rachel's temporary infatuation with Varly

Posted by: caraveli | June 1, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ncg1983 | June 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

What's this I hear about Federov taking over the Fla. steroids case? Does this mean he is not going to Russia so that he can concentrate on his investigation? (Hahaha)!

I am nervous about the Pitts-Wings game tomorrow. I mean we also went to the Mellon Arena with a 2-0 lead. Will Oswood continue to be that good? I don't like it that they were so close in terms of SOG. Do you think the two teams were pretty even? Somehow it does not feel so. They did not seem to be effective in spite of shots. Was it just Oswood that kept them in check? I don't think so.

Posted by: caraveli | June 1, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | June 1, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I swear if the Bears/Manitoba series goes back to Manitoba I'll never live in this time zone again! The post game Saturday night went past midnight...
But, just to make Rachel jealous... I'm planning on getting a Neuvy shirt on the 6th.
Not to mention Mikey's the only person whose name isn't Oskar Osala or Alex Giroux that's been there consistantly. I'm waiting for someone like Gordo or Mr. Wilson to score one.

Posted by: 4RBears | June 1, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

And to think that Detroit got a 2 game to nothing edge in games with Pavel Datsyuk out of commission. (I think the Wings will have a better chance if he comes back.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 1, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

The local TV ratings came out yesterday and the Capitals are second only to the Redskins in the ratings. Their ratings more than double those of the Nationals.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 2, 2009 5:12 AM | Report abuse

@Dave

Yeah, both of these teams love to do that moving pick.

technically interference, but its not being called. Hell, I'd keep doing it too if it went un-penalized.

@caraveli

Osgood has definetely been a big part of their two wins, but Wings have been the better team in every single period so far. Call it bounces going your way, call it anything you want, you still have to create it and its obvious the Wings are the superior team so far.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 2, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

croftonpost:
Does anyone watch baseball on TV *yawn*?

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 2, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

There is absolutely no video evidence that Zetterberg closed his hand on the puck. In game 1 when it was on Osgoods back he pushed it off of his back away from the goal, totally legal. In game 2 he pushed it under Osgood. Players other than the goaltender can touch the puck, they just can't freeze or close their hand on the puck as Richmondphil eluded to. Just because Crosby gives his arrogant look to the officials because he can't believe the puck won't go in for him doesn't make it a rule violation. I watched the multiple replays for the crease plays both days (like we had a choice unless we went to the fridge) and I did not see Zetterberg close his hand, neither did the TV crew that would love to hand Crosby the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe.

By the way, in the middle of the Hurricanes series I told you guys that Crosby was scoring at a higher rate than he is accustomed to and would come back to earth. Remember the pace he was on would have equated to about 70 goals in a full NHL schedule and we all know he doesn't score goals like that. For those of you saying he's willing to go to the net, if he really was willing to last game he would have had better quality opportunities. Instead he tailed off a couple of time and put routine shots on net rather than crashing the net. Crosby has played well, but again, not scoring at will.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 2, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

--Boo--: I watch baseball on TV when I can't find golf and I am looking for background noise for a daytime nap.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 2, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | June 2, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | June 2, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1:
Now that's what I call a hockey fan!! :-) Don't get me wrong - I know that there are a lot of hockey fans who are baseball fans (some of which *gasp* I even call friends). I just don't get how you can go from a sport that is so fast to a sport that is so sllloooww. Makes me sleepy just thinking about it!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 2, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

More whining in Pittsburgh, this time from a sportswriter:

Posted by: tess2201 | June 2, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

--Boo--: You're not kidding. My kids would go from hockey to baseball too. I swear I saw the grass grow sitting in that chair at the field. The kids felt the same way so even though they were great baseball players they ditched their gloves by the time they were 15. I loved watching them play but the game of baseball is so methodical and kids as young as 11 and 12 step out of the batters box or off of the mound over and over again. Can't blame them, they are just emulating their favorite baseball players. Just like the young hockey players that jump off the glass after they score. Man I miss watching Ovi celebrate. Only 4 days until I head up to Hershey to feel the cool breeze of stadium air grazing across ice.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 2, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

"Man I miss watching Ovi celebrate"

On Saturday night when Giroux scored the OT game-wimme he did an 'Ovie Leap' into the glass. Awesome!

Posted by: tess2201 | June 2, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1:
LOL! I remember my dad's eyes being glazed over when I played softball ... problem was, I was just as bored as he was. Suffice it to say that didn't last long! :-) I'm off to Hershey this weekend, too - can't wait! Hoping for a Wings sweep in the meantime - GO WINGS, GO BEARS!!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 2, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

OK, I read the article. BWAH HAHAHA. I don't know how many of you are exposed to hockey sticks, and I know they are broken by slashes and shots on a regular basis, but A HOOK. Since he Dupuis was admittedly out there after killing a penalty is it possible his stick was already cracked from slashing Red Wings on the PP, and blocking a shot or pass? To claim that a perfectly good hockey stick cracked in half because of a hook is not possible, sorry.

Posted by: fanohock1 | June 2, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

You know, I think half of Capsnation is headed up to Hershey this weekend or something. I am too, and am in fact vaguely noodling the idea of a potluck tailgate party if I can get enough people interested.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 2, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I can't type! That supposed to be "OT game-winner".

Posted by: tess2201 | June 2, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

RE: No suspension to Malkin.

I wanted to throw my two cents in on this one and see what y'all think:

The purpose of the very rule under which Malkin should have been suspended is to prevent teams from sending messages in the final five minutes of a game. When teams rarely, if ever, play back-to-back games, a message sent in the final five minutes has little impact outside the lockerroom of the team sending the message. Certainly, the recipient will remember the message the next game. Due to the length of time between the teams playing each other, the message will have waned and, in most circumstances, the message will be the product of the media looking to hype the game.

Things are different in the playoffs. A late brawl, intentionally instigated, a message sending check, a punch/fight intended to fire-up a player's team and remind the opponent of their toughness has an immediate impact that carries to the next game. The bad blood between the teams does not have time to wane; in fact, a message only exacerbates the bad blood that a 4 to 7 game series creates.

In other words, the League's prohibition on sending messages is more applicable to the playoffs than it is to the regular season. The rule's purpose, as cited by Campbell in waving the Malkin suspension, is, if there are degrees of applicability in a black-and-white rule, more applicable to the playoffs than to the regular season.

I am not saying it is a good rule or a bad rule; but it is, as presently drafted, a black-and-white rule. It either is applied during the season (which runs from pre-season to the awarding of the Cup) and those against it change it during the off-season or it is waived entirely.

The fact that Campbell expressly chose to waive it through citing to it's purpose is indicative of inconsistency. Whether or not that is the case, the selective application of the rule creates a perception that the league office plays favorites. Such does not help the League rise above it's current perceived status as inferior to the NBA, NFL, and MLB.

Posted by: Matt23185 | June 2, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Wanted to weigh in on another topic making its way through this board: Penguin fans apparent hypocritical stance on penalties.

The reaction of the more boisterous Penguin fans (as seen on this board) appears to Cap fans to be summarized this way: "The officials called penalties fairly in 12 of the Penguins first 17 games. Over the two SCF games, the officials have been inconsistent thereby leading to Penguin losses. Those fans from Carolina, Washington, and Philadelphia who complained the Penguins were getting the benefit of the doubt from officials were dead wrong; the only way Washington and Philadelphia were able to win five games against the Penguins was through blown calls." In other words, the Penguin fans to which we have been exposed on here, through their behavior in Rounds 1-3 upbraided fans of their opponents for behaving precisely as Penguin fans are behaving now. Put more simply, fans of the aforementioned Penguin opponents, are, now struck by the hypocrisy of the Penguin fans.

Here is my primary thought on this: the League reaps what it sows. For three series the Penguins *appeared* the chosen ones. During national broadcasts fans were presented with a cacophony of praise for the Penguins while opponents were treated as the Washington Generals. The Penguins were built for fans as the premier franchise on an inevitable march to the Finals. This placing of the Penguins on a pedestal, as the team through which the League would build a new fanbase, has created, in many Penguin fans, this air of entitlement and firm belief of the teams' invincibility.

Such only undermines inroads individual owners make in their markets. Casual fans in places such as Washington, Raleigh, Nashville, Columbus, etc. are lead to being Penguin fans as opposed to fans of the local team. Fans of the aforementioned teams attend games against the Penguins hoping to see a good game only to be struck with boorish, rude, and entitlement behavior of Penguin fans thereby turning them off of hockey. Long time fans of teams, frequently, dump their Penguin tickets knowing what the fans will be like. The short term strategy of hitching the League's post-lock out identity to Pittsburgh has many long term negative ramifications for the other 29 franchises.

The behavior of the Penguin organization and Penguin fans was created by the League, perpetuated by the League, and will, if not corrected, have a host of negative long term impacts on the League's bottom line.

Posted by: Matt23185 | June 2, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I like this part of the story:

"During the search, and after Thomas was read his rights, he told agents that he would "beat any charges like he had in the past," and that "the only thing he knows is selling steroids," the affidavit said."

Guy, I'm pretty sure you're not beating these charges after saying that.

Posted by: nhcaps | June 2, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse