Fehr, Erskine Game-Time Decisions

Eric Fehr and John Erskine remain game-time decisions, Caps Coach Bruce Boudreau said a little while ago.

Boudreau also was asked why suspended enforcer Donald Brashear did not make the trip to Pittsburgh.

"Because we left him at home," Boudreau said. "We didn't figure, if he's not eligible to play, [strength and conditioning coach Mark Nemish] can skate him a lot harder and better, then he could work out with the trainer and do that. So there goes that rumor."

Boudreau was also asked about defenseman Tom Poti, who was limping this morning and again when he walked into the arena around 5 p.m.

"You know what, it's the playoffs, everyone's got bumps and bruises," Boudreau said. "Tom Poti's fine and gonna play, but if you're not sore at some point, if some part of your body isn't sore now, then you're not competing hard enough."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 6, 2009; 5:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Penguins Voice Complaints
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Caps at Penguins

Comments

LETS GO CAPS

Posted by: richmondphil | May 6, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

LETS DO THIS!!!

Posted by: dmwechs1 | May 6, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

YEAH CAPS! 3-0!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's an SAT-worth analogy for you:

Penguins : Whiny :: John :

a) Nervous
b) Anxious
c) Worried
d) Ham Sandwich

Yeah, I'm that wound up about the game.

Go Caps!

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 6, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

From previous post:

I have a question: if the Pens are so sure that OV is using an illegal stick, why didn't they ask for a measurement? They asked the refs to tell the fans to stop throwing hats, why not ask for a measurement? And I thought the league did measurements before playoff games?

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 6, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Going to be a close game tonight. Probably one goal as usual. Need to keep Malkin quiet and clear Crosby from the crease.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 6, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I hate saying this but I don't think Fehr being out affects us too much. He hasn't performed well and I think this could be the perfect time for Nylander to step it up. We have seen Bradley and Steckle step it up so maybe we will be surprised with Nylander. Erskine on the other hand has been awesome in the playoffs. Get back on the ice ASAP Erskine! I am glad we have Sloan and Alzner with us too. Lets go CAPS! Lets give the Pens and all the Spitsburgh fans something else to complain about!

Posted by: OviFan08 | May 6, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

If they check the stick and its not legal then they recieve a delay of game. So, there is some risk on their end.

Posted by: stonestom | May 6, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Davethecapsfan, I agree with everything you said, I also enjoyed watching hacksaw.

Getting close to game time

Posted by: superpaqman | May 6, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

fix the Phone Booth ice for Poti, kthx.

Posted by: rh71 | May 6, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Ok, but they're so sure.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 6, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

have a great idea if the series makes it back to Verizon...

If everyone go out and buy a pacifier at Target/Walmart/etc. If Cindy begs for a call or God forbid gets a hat trick, everyone throw the pacifiers out onto the ice.

It would seriously make for a legendary sports moment that we could all be part of.

Posted by: daimon_junk | May 6, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

daimon_junk: The pacifiers would actually make it onto the ice for people in the 400s. (Unlike the hats)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

daimon_junk:

I like the idea of a pacifier. In fact I like it so much that I wish we could think of another opportunity--not just a hat trick. Let's see, maybe to bid him farewell or congratulate him at the end of a period?

What does everyone think of Clark's game. I have not noticed him that much.I'd love to see him score by the end of this series.

Posted by: caraveli | May 6, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Fleury just say he needed to have those goals? That he needs to play better? Instead he says "I think Ovechkin has an illegally curved stick." Loser! How much of a difference could it make? If Ovechkin's stick was not that curved he wouldn't of scored?? As far as I know, the curvature affects the velocity of the puck. Still, I don't think MAF could've gotten that third goal by Ovie. Keep complaining MAF!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

illegal stick: they have no intention of checking, guys, they just want ovie to put it away, so that he has less of a chance to score. by saying it outloud, they kill two birds: no delay of game, fewer ovechkin goals. It's not going to work/help.

Posted by: oo7 | May 6, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

daimon_junk - i like where your head is at. That being said I think throwing anything but a hat on the ice (only after a hat trick) is in bad taste. How about we just stick to being really f'ing loud like we have been.

Posted by: superpaqman | May 6, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

daimon_junk:

Posted by: caraveli | May 6, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse
Wait, I have an even better idea! Maybe if the series comes back to the Phone Booth and the Caps take it there, you should throw the pacifiers as Crosby skates off the ice! =D

Posted by: 4RBears | May 6, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@fanofhockey (from previous threads),
(Repost from an earlier thread)

Glad to see you back posting. (Of course, you were posting during this series.)

I noticed your posts on Nylander. I agree that he seems to do best on a line with Kozlov and Laich. Kozlov does a fair amount of scoring with that group.

Of course, it would now disrupt our current combinations to return to that group, especially since Laich seems to be a great fit with Bradley and Steckel who've been hot this series.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 6, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile Brash is flying over the pond to Russia... :-)

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 6, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@caps16fan (In an earlier thread)

Interesting stats, with or without Fehr. A better record with Fehr than without him. Okay, he hasn't had the greatest post season but hasn't hurt us either.

During the regular season, he actually had a high rate of productivity for a relatively low number of minutes. He's never on any of the special teams. Yes, he actually had one of the best Plus/Minus stats among our forwards (after Semin, Backstrom, and tied with Ovi).

I must admit I do like Fehr. He's a sentimental favorite, maybe since he's the first Cap drafted who's my elder daughter's age. He's certainly had bad luck with injuries.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 6, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: You totally reminded me! GO BEARS!! (and Neuvy) How awesome would that be, for both teams to go up 3-0 on the Pens and baby Pens, respectively.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

The Pens are certainly whiners in this series to say the least. Crosby complaining about the hats thrown on the rink after Ovi's hat trick. The complaints about Ovi's stick. And the other Pens complaining, as well.

After watching this series, I would not want the Pens to advance, just on general principal. I thought the Rangers were whiners. These guys are just as bad, if not worse.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 6, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Rachel216, you wouldn't believe who my goat is on the Bears ;)
I'll probably be watching the Caps game on low volume, Bears game on loud, and if there's a live chat I plan on being there too.

Posted by: 4RBears | May 6, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Like Moose33 said in the last post, we were down 2-0, and did we ever complain? All we did was give credit to the Rangers and Lundqvist and just kept talking about how we need to improve this to get better and we would start winning, and surely, that's what happened. But I want the Pens to keep complaining, look where it left the Rangers.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: Who's your goat? =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: Mikey Neuvirth XD

Posted by: 4RBears | May 6, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Watching the replay of the Russia-Belarus game from earlier today, Russia could sure use Malkin as soon as possible. On another note Glen Hanlon is the Belarus coach, how odd.

Posted by: doncosmic | May 6, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Bradley better be putting on the foil, this game could be a blowout, for either side, and the fists will fly

Posted by: gtydings | May 6, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: He's mine! Haha... well, everyone here knows I have this thing for Neuvy... but I guess we could both share him..

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: You can keep Neuvy =D I want Braden Holtby!
Though I think I have you beat. There was a picture of Neuvy in the local paper up here and I was in the same picture... heheheh...

Posted by: 4RBears | May 6, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Wait! Why limit pacifiers to just throwing them? If tons of people (especially those who sit near the Pens) show up with pacifiers and any baby paraphernalia we can think of (hats, bibs, bottles etc.) you know the media will pick it up.

Get a critical mass of people dressed like babies and put them in visible places and they will be on millions of television screens, internet and print publications immediately. Then the association of Pens=babies & whiners will become to mind immediately when the name of this team is even mentioned. It will become part of their proud heritage into the future generations.

Can anyone think of a slogan type of thing? What rhymes with whiner? I am not good at this. Is there a word that means whiny that rhymes with Penguins or Pens or something?

Posted by: caraveli | May 6, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: Okay, you can have Holtby, as long as I can have Neuvy! You were in a picture with him??!! You're making me jealous. Haha. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | May 6, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: Haha, I was thinking that might make you jealous! I kindof miss Varly in Hershey though, he didn't make me get hoarse as much. Oh well, he's doing awesome with the Caps, just as Neuvy hasn't been making me scream (as much.)

Posted by: 4RBears | May 6, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Great photo, richmondphil.

Posted by: uncatim | May 6, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

"but if you're not sore at some point, if some part of your body isn't sore now, then you're not competing hard enough."

reason # 1123890123812093182903812903810938123 for why i love Bruce.

LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 6, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Richmondphil: That pic is seriously sweet!

Posted by: 4RBears | May 6, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

not my work, but I found it browsing the net. Figured you guys would appreciate it here.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 6, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

A little better camera would have made that SI cover worthy...and the jinx to go with it

Posted by: gtydings | May 6, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse