Fehr, Laing sidelined tonight

Bruce Boudreau just said Alexander Semin will play tonight and confirmed that both Eric Fehr and Quintin Laing will be out. Fehr was hit hard in the rib area Saturday night and is day-to-day with an "upper body" injury; Laing has the flu (not sure which type) and was sent home.

With those two out, defenseman Tyler Sloan will be inserted as a left wing against Philly.

More in a bit.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 27, 2009; 11:23 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semin, Green taking the morning skate
Next: Caps looking for No. 5 tonight

Comments

The last time they used Sloan at wing, I though he looked pretty good (for a defenseman playing wing). He's a good skater and quick on the forecheck, and he's not afraid to bang bodies. That will help wear down the opposing d. Don't look for him to score though. Look for him to forecheck aggressively.

Posted by: sca187 | October 27, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Sloan needs to bang...Get the Red Rockin...

Posted by: SA-Town | October 27, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Fehr is brittle.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yep, like a porcelain doll

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 27, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Fehr has been brittle, I agree. But he looked pretty good the other night against Atlanta. If he could stay healthy I think he could score some key goals.

I often wonder how most of these guys don't get hurt almost every night!

Posted by: sca187 | October 27, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Insert we could have had _______ (Richards/Getzlaf) for Fehr comment.

Posted by: CapsandRavens | October 27, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"Is that what you call forechecking?"

"No, I call it aggressive negotiations"

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | October 27, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Fehr is brittle? WHAT?

How many of you have ever been hit in the rib cage by a puck?

Especially a puck moving at NHL speeds?

I don't think there's any call to put this label on Fehr. How do you all know that it hit him someplace padded? What if his padding slipped?

Brittle my eye. I defy ANY of you to take a shot to the rib cage from any NHL player you want and not miss the next game.

Get well soon, Lainger!!!

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I've been hit in the ribs at 90MPH. Even through pads, it hurts like hell. And, depending on where exactly it hits you, there might be no pads. (Little known fact: pucks have seeing eyes that can find the unpadded parts of your body.)

Too bad for the Q. He may only be slightly more likley to score a goal in the NHL than I am, but its good to have him in the line-up.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 27, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

How soon until someone cries for Nylander to be recalled from Grand Rapids...??

Posted by: netminder71 | October 27, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Fehr- past 3 years - 2 shoulders, back-hip, now a rib = 06-08 = 98 games played...that reads brittle to me.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

from my recollection he was hit by a player not a puck.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

and final point from hockey news:

Some players are injury-prone, while others catch bad breaks. But this season, Eric Fehr is healthy (or whatever ‘healthy’ means to Eric Fehr). So for a guy who was taken 18th overall, before the likes of Ryan Getzlaf (19th), Mike Richards (24th), and Corey Perry (28th), it’s now or never to prove to his critics that he is more than just an AHL star.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@ netminder71: I think someone already called for it yesterday. =X

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 27, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of how Fehr gets injured, he does get injured quite frequently and it's a shame. I think he could score 25-30 over a season if he stayed healthy enough to gel with some linemates. He's got a nose for the net. I think this team is missing 3 things:

1. A #1 stay-at-home, tough, puck-moving defenseman (doesn't everyone need that?!)

2. A clear-cut #1 goalie

3. A consistent attitude that they will ALL do whatever it takes to win each and every battle, every game for each other and never give up. Call it grit, playoff mentality.

Dale Hunter had it. He would do ANYTHING to win. We need some more guys with that attitude.

If we have those things, we win a cup this year. This team is very close...

Posted by: sca187 | October 27, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SA-Town | October 27, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

There is a lot of crack-heads posting here. Semin is a girl because he had the flu,
Fehr is a girl because his ribs hurt,
Laing is a girl because he has the flu,
and you crack-heads are so macho with your one cell brains.
b!tch b!tch b!itch is the only thing that makes you happy.

Posted by: opita1 | October 27, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, half the league, if not more, need those exact same things.

I've thought long and hard about this team and I have a anecdotal theory to throw out there. If we assume that any hockey team is made up of 100 points (100%, if you will), the defensive style and offense style split the number. If you look at the Red Wings they are very close to a perfect 50-50 balance of defense and offense - but there are precious few teams sitting so nice. The Caps, and the players we have and system we skate, is probably closer to 70-75% offense and 25-30% defense. In order to adjust those numbers, if you're willing, you have to give up something because there's no such thing as magic and you can't have more than 100. Also, you have to change the type of player you have on your team, and, just as likely, change the style of play. Before I moved to D.C. this team was stuggling (would last place qualify?) with a style that didn't fit these players - a primarily defensive type of game. Part of the Caps 'defense' is their ability to put pressure on in the offensive end and to avoid penalties that nullify that advantage. When they struggle in those areas (a Mike Green parallel is perfect here...) then the defense really suffers. But, if we want to get the defensive number up to 40%, or so, we have to sacrifice something - players, scoring, offense, etc. With this team of players, and this coach, that just isn't going to happen. And, truth be told, I wouldn't want to handcuff the offense, or trade away such and such players, in order to gain that advantage. In order to move toward that Red Wing 50/50 balance there would have to be significant changes - changes and moves that they've been doing for 15 years.

I don't think a single, stay-at-home puck moving defenseman is the magic pill because they style of the team will always leave defensive gaps...always. And the thought of going overboard defensively is also something I'm not horribly interested in ... man, those days of NJD Cups that bored everyone to tears can't be the dream.

I'll sit up in 413 and watch this team knowing that I'm going to suffer some defensively but I'm also getting a chance to watch the most exciting team in the NHL every night.

Can they win the Cup with this team? Sure. A Game 7 loss to the eventual champs is evidence enough that they are very close. I think the Wings lost in a 7th, at home, right?

The way I figure it, we can pick up a few defensive percentage points by playing a bit smarter and stronger at times; screw the golden BB idea of finding one player that will turn the tide. The tide's here.

Posted by: saintex | October 27, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a McPhee basher, but I'd trade Fehr for either Richards or Getzlaf in a heartbeat! (Perry too) Oh wait, we could have just drafted them instead?

Posted by: griz0615 | October 27, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | October 27, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

that may work in the regular season but that kinda attitude is NOT gonna fly in the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | October 27, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

joek,

Why not? What is this obsession about the post-season? Is they style of play on conducive to six-game series? I've been there with every one else the last two season and seen the Flyers and Pens win in Gamer 7 at Verizon - it sucks, but to think that "it won't work in the playoffs..." is folly to me. What if they'd won game 7 last year v. the Pens? Would it have been over vs. the 'Canes because it doesn't work in the postseason?

I'm just saying I don't buy it. We'll disagree on that.

Posted by: saintex | October 27, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for a forum where the posters get on their "team's" players for absolutely any reason at all. Anyone know where I can find it? Anyone? This is absurd. EVERY TIME I come on here 85% of people are whining about this team for whatever reason they can think of. (The irony, of course, is that I am, in a sense, whining about people whining, and I realize that).

Also, Theodore has been nothing but a stellar starting goaltender so far this year. Aside from the third peiod against NYR, he has played very well and has held the Caps in games and given them a chance to win every night (such as the game in Long Island on Saturday).

I liked the chemistry between Laich-Morrison-Knubs the other night; I thought they were the best line for Washington. If that can continue, the Caps will have possibly the best top 2 lines in the league. Big game toinight, let's hope the boys can pull out another win!

Posted by: Aldred15 | October 27, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Complaining about what could be is a waste of energy. I prefer to look at our young season is this light . . . 10 games in and having EARNED 14 points translates to a 112 point season with 2 others games to pick up as many as 4 additional points. Think this point total for the season is a pipe dream? Just compare to last season's success with a team that only had 2 even or loosing months in the entire season.

Bring on Philthy. Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: tlakindad | October 27, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I think some of the "hard-core" fans feel that being hard-core, die-hard fans entails being dissatisfied with this team. Apparently, all of their postings are printed and shown to the team every morning. This motivates them and/or sends them crying home. Most die-hard fans will assume it's sending them crying home, allowing them to come up with a conspiracy theory that if challenged, allows them to prove their manliness.

I hope we get a better team than the one we have. It seems that with my limited knowledge of hockey and the amount of dissatisfied fans, fans nonetheless even if they think any and all of our players s*ck, our season is going to heck in a handbasket.

*rolls eyes*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 27, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

saintex, you gotta look at the whole picture. they have been in 3 playoff series in the last couple years and the first two, they were dowon 3 games to 1... they lost the first one to the flyers and came back against the Rangers against whom they had NO business being down 3 games to 1 in the first place.

the playoffs are TOTALLY a different animal than the regular season. the games get a lot tighter. The only way you can count on your offense to carry you in the playoffs is if you have the kinda offense that the edmonton oilers had during their Dynasty. The Caps are a very good offensive team but they are NO Oilers of 20 years go.

Posted by: joek443 | October 27, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

There are a lot of positives to focus on, they just rarely appear in here. It's a shame really... I'm with you saintex, the games are exciting as hell and I love this team the way it is. Do I want more? Hell yeah. But I'm not trash-talking them everytime they slip. Go Caps!

Posted by: Chad8 | October 27, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

You people calling Fehr brittle is just incredible to me. I would like to see any of you "studs" come back and be a productive person, less more hockey player, after all this man has been through. He has got to be one of the toughest and most driven SOB's on the planet in my opinion to have endured what he has and been able to return to the game. What a fricking joke some of you are, try looking at yourselves in the mirror before judging someone what has busted their butt to get where they are.

Posted by: PhilR | October 27, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey - (Little known fact: pucks have seeing eyes that can find the unpadded parts of your body.)

I'd heard that about pucks. I heard they had a ref-sensor, too, so that whenever they were in the vicinity of the referee, they could ensure that the ref would be in the way of whatever team they picked to hop funny for. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

should be "THAT has busted their butt"

Posted by: PhilR | October 27, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: griz0615 | October 27, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I love that line the first million times I heard it. Let it go.

Posted by: Section117 | October 27, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

sigh - again, good reason to b*tch:

and final point from hockey news:

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 27, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

No business being down to the NYRs, yep. Lost to the Flyers, yep. Lost in 7 to the Pens, yep.

So? I'd be more willing to buy into the grand mystery of the post season hockey if there were something to buy into. If the Caps were losing 4-0 or 4-1 in 7-games series' then I'd be very worried. They lost to the Flyers in OT of Game 7 and in Game 7 to the Cup winners. That, if anything, is evidence against the mystical forces of the post season ideal.

Nobody says they are the Oilers. And, it's not 20 years ago, either.

Posted by: saintex | October 27, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Posted by: Section117 | October 27, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Lots on hating going on here. Atleast they aren't the Redskins.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | October 27, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

re: Fehr vs Richards/Getzlaff, etc.

a lot of this is opportunity - Fehr would be a much better player than he is (hell, almost any half-decent player would be)if he was thrown out on a top line and kept there for an entire year. But that opportunity doesn't exist here - there are better players here, already - so Fehr's development will be hindered. Richards - who's potential (in hindsight) was probably higher - did get this chance, playing on a team riddled with injuries and near the bottom of the league when he came on board.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse