Fehr Makes U-Turn in Frederick

Okay, so here's what happened with the confusion surrounding Eric Fehr and whether or not he had been assigned to Hershey for conditioning. The winger said he was told he was being sent to the Bears to get in a few games, and that as long as there were no injuries in Washington against the Rangers, to get into his car and drive to Hershey.

Well, there were no injuries, but the third and fourth lines struggled. Fehr, however, followed the instructions he had been given and was already headed north on I-270.

When he got to Frederick, though, he received a call from Coach Bruce Boudreau, who told him that he needed to come back to D.C. Fehr said he wasn't given a reason for the change of plans, but he happily turned around, and tomorrow is expected to make his season debut in Detroit on a line with David Steckel and Chris Clark. Based on this morning's practice, Fehr will play left wing despite being a natural right wing.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 9, 2009; 12:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Slight Changes Up Front (Updated)
Next: Boudreau: 'Maybe We Got Complacent'

Comments

Cool.

Wish Clark could put one in net though.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 9, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

ok, so doesn't Kane (or someone else) have to go down to Hershey is Eric is healthy? unless we have a guy going on the IR that we don't know about...

thoughts?

as for Clark, he's played well the periods that I've seen!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Kan was sent down before the Rangers game and Sloan played RW on the 4th line.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 9, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

when ovi, backs and semin are the only line that is producing - maybe it's time to try semin on the second line for a few games to see how he works with BMo and put knubs on the top line. seems like they need a little more fire power for the opponents d to have to consider.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Kane - not Kan

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread concerning the expected cries of doom following our first regulation loss of the season:

People gotta relax. We're 2-1-1 -- which extrapolates to over 100 points for the season. Did the Pens' sorry-a$$ shutout loss to the Coyotes knock them out of cup contention or expose them as bottom-dwellers? Step away from the keyboard and take a breath.

Green had a bad game. Schultz, BTW, did not. He played very respectably and stole some good pucks from the Rags at key times -- did you see him rob Gaborik to spring Ovi on that would-have-been-a-goal-but-for-just-2-more-seconds-on-the-clock play to close the first period?

I'll lay money we will not see last night's style of play Saturday night. Anyone want to take a bet?

Hope to see Eric play well too!

Posted by: Sonyask | October 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Uh, still hung over from my CARDS losing NATS like last night. Substitue four for three please.

Posted by: adhardwick | October 9, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Two one-goal results because our goalies give up soft goals. Sure, they make ten-bell saves too but consistency is what wins. They each get one more shot before Neuvy returns.

No More Softies!!!!!!

Posted by: meagle | October 9, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

If the state of communication in this organization wasnt so sad it might even be funny..... the cap number has been screwed up......we have a $4million albatross....an ahl dmen playing forward due to aforementioned cap issue...put a guy on the team one day then lose him to waivers that afternoon for nothing....send a guy to hershey then call him back half way.....do the people running this team talk to each other before the do things? the lack of discipline the caps show on the ice only mirrors the amateurish way the capsbrass runs it........COME ON CAPS LETS GET OUT SH.. TOGETHER ON AND OFF THE ICE

Posted by: wendel2 | October 9, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts...

Marian Gaborik's wristshot = Theo's 5 hold cryptonite (spelling?).

Fehr coming back will improve the 3rd line and hopefully add some more scoring.

Sarge did play well last night. I remember seeing a couple of 'good' things and never really saw anything 'bad'.

Things seemed a bit off for our top lines. They had chances but were either a step fast or a step slow. You can't play perfect all the time so I really am not that worried about it.

The Rags have a good PK so I am not overly shocked at the 1 for 9 but we had 5 on 3s and couldn't score which does worry me. I know we always worry about the team being "too cute" when they play but I trust BB will get them back on track after last night.

All in all I hated seeing them score so quickly after we got the lead back but Sonyask is right that it is only the 4th game so I hate to overanalyze (too late).

Posted by: pkendrick | October 9, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask,
why the Schultz love? I saw him make one good play last night, the aforementioned one against Gaborik, but was lost otherwise. He can't win the battles along the boards, he was so far out of position on that first Gaborik goal, the 4-2 goal that was really a 2-1 because Schultz is so slow. I can't understand for the life of me why he gets defended so much, he had a good +/- last year, that's it, and that is the most unreliable stat in a sport full of them.
And you seem so confidant that we won't play like that next game, and i agree but do you want to put your money where your mouth is the whole season? they will play like that again unless we make some changes on our back end. Our D are so unreliable and inconsistant, yes even Mike Green but he provides so much more that that can be forgiven, and it wouldn't be that noticeable if we could pair him up with a #2 D.

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

what has Lambo-Greenie provided this year that he extremely lame play can be excused?? to date, best d-men have been Pots (not Poti), ShaMo, Juice

Posted by: doughless | October 9, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

And back to what this article was about. I can't wait to have Fehr back not only because he has something to prove and should play with as much effort as anybody, but that makes our 3rd and 4th lines better just by shifting players down a line. I hope he can finally live up to his billing but either way he is an improvement. Go Caps!! We have only played 4 games so I'm not worried but I do think we need to do something about our defense, we just need to find out what to do with our four and a half million dollar bench jockey to create some cap space. We might not even need to trade at that point because we can give Alzner and even Carlson a shot at staying with the big club.

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

People around these parts do seem to fall prey to being a Washington sports fan. A friend made comparisons between the Caps and the Skins (they have the same record). I guess we've just been burned for too long.

As it is the beginning of the year, and the team has had these issues before, I'm not very worried (I'd rather it come now then in March). My concern with the goalie situation largely stems from whether or not Varly should be up here or not. Should Varly and Neuvy both be in Hershey and get some more playing time each? Is practice really going to be enough to help Varly? If Theo outshines Varly, who gets resigned/traded?

I hope playing the last 7 periods of hockey have lit a fire under the Caps.

Posted by: mattbuckley80 | October 9, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Greener hasn't done much this year. This is true and I stated it in my post. But what he has proven he can do is worth an excuse. Pothier has been our only consistantly good D. ShaMo has been good in chunks and then invisible. And Juice took some costly penalties against the Flyers, otherwise I think he is more valuable than most as our most consistant physical defenseman. He just needs some discipline.

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick

I think over-analyzing shows that we all have a passion for the sport and our team, even though it's just the 4th game. We're seeing a lot of the same problems the team had last year, and just want to make sure these issues get corrected before too long. So, I join you in the over-analyzing!

Posted by: CapsKH | October 9, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited for Fehr to come back, especially if he is on Steckel and Clark's line. I think we're going to see really good things happening there. Keep looking forward and let the coaches deal with correcting the players' mistakes! Caps still rock!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 9, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Another year, another game by game reassessment of the team's chances. I want to address all the negativity (and slightly idiotic suggestions) surrounding Green.

A few years ago, I came out and flat out admitted that I was wrong about Green. I thought initially (after first couple years where he went back and forth with the Bears) that he was horrible. I was wrong. He's a great offensive defenseman and a decent defensive one. Is he Scott Stevens in his own end? No, of course not. But Scott Stevens was no Brian Leach in the O side, so these things have a yin and yang aspect to them, usually.

So, everyone relax. Is the team good? Yes. Is it perfect? No. Are there issues that need addressing? Yes. Can the team win the Cup? Maybe.

And, I hope Fehr uses a Bluetooth. Hands free required by law in Maryland...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 9, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread: Someone implied Erskine's numbers wouldn't be so bad if he played with the players Green does. Someone else said that people just think Green isn't playing greenesque, but IMO from what I read people are saying he's over-rated. Yeah and Erskine would have scored like Gretzky if he played with Messier or Kuri. I wouldn't even consider scrapping with some of the players Erskine does, even on the street, so I respect Erskine big time. My point is if anyone is going to be singled out defensively it should be the one with the most PIMs per minutes played and worst +/- at minus-2. The 2nd worst +/- on D is even.

Dizzy: I beg to differ with your opinion regarding what people are saying about Mike Green. A lot are saying he was over-rated and now that he's not scoring his lack of defensive prowess is evident. Sorry, he's the best on the team.

Go ahead and belittle that fact by throwing the entire defensive corps under the bus so called fans.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 9, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think they'll give Varly some more games...if the same problems continue...then you'll see them send him to hershey to play every day and get it together. looks like its a mental thing...maybe even run him out there like 5 in a row and give him a chance to get through it.

Posted by: carsonspence | October 9, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

why would he go on 270 through Frederick?! he should just go 95 north -> 695 -> 83 North!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 9, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

with green's conditioning being questioned in the playoffs last year, why is he playing close to 28 minutes per game? I'm not bashing green I just think he is out there too long. even Ovie played around 25 minutes last night which in my opinion is too much

Posted by: _stevo | October 9, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

A few posts ago it may have appeard as though I had said that we should trade Poti and Schultz and possibly Juice. I didn't mean to give that impression. What I was trying to say was that I wouldn't be upset to see them go

So we all need to read this article on TSN.

It's a funny one, a good read and pretty accurate. Not too sure about Ovie scoring 90 goals and 150 points. At least not by Christmas.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey

Since when has there been a hands-free law in MD? I know they just passed a law against texting, but I haven't seen anything about hands-free calling being mandated.

@GreenerLife

A good *defensive* defenseman IS invisible.

Posted by: snakegriffin | October 9, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

since the convo was moved here:

if erskine was out with those 3 guys he would have a hell of a better +/-. the Caps D was and is not playin well. Green is not playing particularly well. why is PIMs the only stat that matters?? for that matter, why is +/-. you might call it a cliche, but the stats dont always tell the full story (see Green's play & stats so far this year).

by the way; don't put words in peoples mouthes.

Posted by: doughless | October 9, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2
the pharmacy has restocked the prozak.

the management has put together a cup contending team. relax or crawl back upder you rock, no need for crying wolf in the fist month of the season.

Pothier is definitely our best D as of now, Sarge has been playing well too. it's too bad we need erskine's grit, he has been the weak link. glad juice will be back for the wings

Posted by: donkey1 | October 9, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Caps will make a U-turn too after two losses.

Otherwise Fehr will be another item in Boudreau's bag of tricks that is getting half empty. :)

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Sargent

He was going to 15. I used to go past Hershey a lot. It's a very easy drive and takes almost no time and there's little traffic that way.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@CapsKH

I love the passion but overanalyzing this early in the season is a little ridiculous. It's a new year and players have gotten better and BB needs these first 10 games or so to evaluate what works best for us.

Personally I like the D pairings from the first 2 games. Yes we let up in the 3rd period of the Leafs game but our D played great the rest of those games. Saying that I know that BB has to play with the pairings now to see what works best so we will have to suffer thru some "interesting" nights until it all gets worked out.

Also, I would not be shocked in the least to see one of our D traded in the not too distant future.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey

Re: And, I hope Fehr uses a Bluetooth. Hands free required by law in Maryland...

-no it isn't. It is in DC and NY though.

Posted by: lornemyoung | October 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Bob Woods = "zero impact on Caps D"

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 9, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Are all of you freakin nuts? 'INSERT PLAYER HERE' sucks this year.... really? 4 games into the year you're gonna claim that multiple players suck? Green had some great shots last night. Henrik is one of the TOP goalies in the WHOLE LEAGUE. Ovi had an off night... when till you guys come crashing down on him? Seriously. Does the goaltending worry me? Maybe a little bit, but good lord it's game 4 of 82, settle down. We're also missing 2 great offensive players (Fehr and Flash).

If things haven't improved in a month, then ok... we can panic A LITTLE, but right now, get over it and understand it is SO early in the season

Posted by: CentralPACapsFan | October 9, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

270?

What the heck was he doing on 270? You take 95 to the BMore Beltway to 83 to go to Hershey, not 270.

Posted by: EricS2 | October 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@CentralPA: +1000

Posted by: snakegriffin | October 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@"fan"ohock1

Am I throwing them under the bus? I believe my statement was "at the moment"... Listen, I believe in this team. But the D corps needs to freakin play better. I dont think anyone is going to "beg to differ" on that point.

as for your use of "so called fans" Before you jump on people for being "so called fans" ask yourself... "Do I know anything about this person"? If the answer is no.. then move on. You know nothing about me or anyone else who has called the D corps or Greens play into question.

Ive played the game for a long long time and I know its easy to sit in the stands and point out the flaws in someones game. I know its not as easy when your on the ice playing. But because I have invested so much time, money, and emotion into this team for years now I think I have earned the right to call out someone whom I think isnt doing their jobs.

It isnt just Green and in no way was I pointing the finger at him. Its the whole freakin team. The forwards need to get back quicker, the D needs to play stand up defense and stop giving up so much time and space all the time.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | October 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth might be ready this weekend...

"Hershey Bears still carrying three goalies"

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I *think* (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I saw Green play an entire 2 minutes on a PP last night? I don't understand the reasoning behind that...especially for someone who hasn't had any form of production yet.

Posted by: CapsKH | October 9, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@GreenerLife: Why the Schultz love?

Not love, just defending the guy against the incessant criticisms. He played very responsibly (though he took a penalty last night, but he's one of the least penalized players on the club). I saw him take the puck a number of times from Rags forwards, not stealthily but from persistent work; he moved the puck out and passed without error, unlike some of his teammates; he was steady. Yes he was on for a goal but that one was purely on Theo (had he been in the passing lane people would criticize him for screening the goalie).

He is slow, true, but he plays his position and does it effectively. He looks like a bit of an awkward dolt, and that's probably why he gets criticized, but his play was solid last night, has been these two games he was in, and was in the pre-season.

Not amazing play but I'll take solid play.

Posted by: Sonyask | October 9, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick

Over-analyzing gives us something to do when we want to get the boring work day over with! :)

Posted by: CapsKH | October 9, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

hey donkeyass1 we are a cup contender cause u say so? i'll stay under my rock if u get your head out of your burro? ignoring serious problems like we have done with nyls and cap numbers might make sense to u but not me. Did bb sound like he was happy and not concerned because u say we are a cup contender was he crying wolf or calling out sheep?

Posted by: wendel2 | October 9, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who's taking 95 to 83 to go to Hershey isn't doing themselves any favors! Unless you love traffic or feel some compelling need to go through Baltimore. I live in Virginia and I, too, use 15 when I go up. I driven both routes and 15 is a much nicer drive and generally takes less time because you're not in traffic.

Posted by: CapsChick | October 9, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

80-1-1..anything less is a complete failure...

Posted by: SA-Town | October 9, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@pkendrick

Posted by: CapsKH

I understand but Greg S. has it right. Just read that tsn article

Posted by: pkendrick | October 9, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

CapsChick

Amen, sister. Amen.

Going 15 takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to get to Susquehanna University which is past Harrisburg. Going through Baltimore would double that. Taking 15 to Hershey is the only way to go.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

snakegriffin,

yeah invisible usually is a good term for defensive d-men, but i meant invisible like i was asking myself, where in the he** is Schultz. And no he didn't have a number of takeaways against the Rags. He had one that i saw. And i pay close attention to him because of all the grief/praise he gets. I am not impressed with him at all and i have giben him plenty of chances. I could care less what +/-, or PIM, or any other stat you can come up with to defend him, i watch him play and he stinks. He loses his jock anytime he is stuck in a 1 on 1, and he doesn't play tough or smart around the crease.

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay, a quick two (or three or four) cents about Green. I know people like to ignore stats, but, for what they're worth:

Chara is a -2 with 21:53 average ice time, 16 PIMs, and 1 ast

Lidstrom is a +1 with a 25 min average ice time, 0 PIMs and 1 goal

Green is a +2 while averaging over 26 TOI with 8 PIMS and 2 assists.

If we take what people here are saying at face value, all the Norris trophy nominees suck and the season is over for Boston, Detroit, and the Caps.

Green, in 26 minutes of ice time, is obviously NOT only playing with SOB, so I think the "any defenseman could have a good +/- with those forwards" argument doesn't necessarily hold water. Lidstrom gets to play with Datsyuk, why aren't his numbers better?

People are saying he's "not producing." Not producing how? He's got as many pts as the other two Norris candidates combined! People are shouting at him to play better defense while at the same time wanting him to score 40. I don't get it.

(I wish that everyone on our team could look to Lidstrom in the PIM department, though.)

People see what they want to see, and there was a guy in 425 shouting at Green last night every time he did something he didn't like, but he was suspiciously quiet when Green made his passes and stops, etc etc.

Granted, I was lucky and got to spend the second half of the game in my girlfriend's lawfirm's suite downstairs, so maybe he shut up.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | October 9, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

When you look at Green's junior and AHL career, you noticed that he was never known for an extraordinary offensive threat; never scoring more than 14 goals a season. In the juniors, playing for Saskatoon, he scored 37G in 267 games. In Hershey, he scored 12G in 68 games and prior to last year, he had scored 21 goals with the Caps in 174 games. Was last year a banner year or just part of his progression? He never scored more than 18 goals in one season at any point in time since he was 16 years old. How did he score 31 in DC? By completely throwing out the window all basic expectations of playing defense.
He does get an incredible amount of ice time and benefit from the offensive power of Ovie and Company.
But my impression is that what we have seen since last year's play offs out of Mike Green is pretty much what it is. I think that if he is allowed to keep being a 4th forward on the ice, he will still get a fair amount of goals but I do not think it is a wise tactic on the long run.

Posted by: atybat | October 9, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

SmallZ827

Yeah, but what's really amazing is that Colorado and Phoenix will meet in the Western Conference finals. I mean look at their records!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm booking my flight to Denver now...

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Fehr likes route 15. It's kinda nice out that way.

Posted by: megatroll1 | October 9, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one here who thinks Chris Clark is just DONE? He's done nothing even though he's apparently healthy. What the heck was he doing on the ice at the end of the game last night? Isn't that what Knuble was brought here to do?

Isn't it time to sit Boyd Gordon if he's going to take late penalties? Steckel so far thus year looks more like a fourh-line center than a third. All of this leads to:

ovechkin-backstrom-knuble
semin-nylander-fehr
fleischmann-morrison-anybody but Clark
Laing-steckel-Bradley

And bring back Neuvirth!

Oneal

Posted by: thetick73 | October 9, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.

This is what I'm saying, though. People are getting THIS worked up after Game 4? GAME 4???? I don't think Green is playing "bad" defense the way people are painting him to have done. He's not playing as well as he COULD, which is part of the problem (he's a little lazy, perhaps). But I just don't get how we can scream at the guy for not playing better defense and also be mad that he doesn't have five goals already.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | October 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

goaltending is not the big problem. A goalie shouldn't have to make 10 eye opening saves & also make the easy ones. The D just gives up the zone really easily. I think once nylander comes off the books we will see alzner up here & I wouldn't be suprised if GMGM puts a package together for a decent D men.

Posted by: smartfan | October 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Re: Green's perceived lack of scoring...

Green played in 68 games last year and scored 31 goals. That's a nice clip, an avg of a goal about every 2.2 games. However, he scored 10 goals during his record setting 8 game scoring streak. So, in the other 60 games he scored "only" 21 goals, a higher rate of a goal every 2.85 games. The point here is that, even with missing 14 games due to injury, Green did very well over the course of the WHOLE SEASON, though he may have had some power outages at times, and score in bunches at other times.

The four games of the current season are simply too small of a sample size to make any sweeping judgements about Green's offensive ability (or lack thereof). 20 games in, it'll be easier to really see where things stand with him, and the team at large.

Also, keep in mind that any opposition coach worth his salt is sure to spend some time planning on how to stop Green from doing what he is capable of. It's helpful at times to not be as Caps-centric when looking at the play of our team and give the other guys credit where credit is due. There's lots of good players/coaches in this league who are also trying to win, so it seems a bit overreactionary to assign fault to our guys in every instance. Certainly, it's warranted to criticize obvious missteps by our guys, but acknowledging good plays by the enemy can give much needed perspective on things.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 9, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Here you go again with accusing ppl of not being true fans!! Who do you think your are to judge who is a fan and who isn't??? Be grateful that enough ppl come on here and show compassion for the team they love. Just because not everyone sucks Green's d*ck like you, doesn't mean they aren't true fans.

Once again, get off your eye horse.

Posted by: JD09 | October 9, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Picking on Clark? WTF, he's been one of the more solid players on the ice and has been doing a lot of really good things. Some of the arguments on here are fantastically illogical and the hate for some of these players is ridiculously unfounded (Nylander hate = founded). There must be a lot of Caps fans here who have converted from following the 'Skins or simply don't know anything about hockey.

Peace out kids, I'll be back after we're 20 games in. Then you can objectively start examining what's "wrong" with this team.

Posted by: snakegriffin | October 9, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan

I have to disagree with you there about the goaltending. The D might have lapsed a little but Theo has a 5-hole problem and Varly needs to work on his glove. Again, it is early in the season and they should improve but you cannot simply blame the D for everything.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Sorry "high"

Posted by: JD09 | October 9, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Still a good read.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 2:00 PM

it should be ok to call out some individuals here and make this mandatory reading :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

MetalCapsFan is right about giving credit to other teams. We scouted the Bruins PK and exposed a weakness. Who's to say that the Rags didn't scout or PP and figure out how to stop it. For example, it seemed last night that they knew where the puck was going and could cut it off or poke the puck away.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 9, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

My ultimate plan to save the Caps Universe and all things...

Start Varly one game for two periods, replace him with Theo in the third period.

Start Theo one game for two periods, replace him with Varly in the third period.

... no more soft third period meltdowns

Get Shultz really angry before each game by having him sit in the stands during warmups and having to hear it from Caps fans.

Offer retiring Nylander's number in exchange for him leaving to Europe.

Disband the third line completely and have the fourth line delay the game by purposely putting the puck over the net after hitting another player with it to give lines 1 and 2 a rest.

thats all folks...

Oh ya, BB needs a new haircut.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | October 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

MetalCapsFan

"Green played in 68 games last year and scored 31 goals. That's a nice clip, an avg of a goal about every 2.2 games. However, he scored 10 goals during his record setting 8 game scoring streak. So, in the other 60 games he scored "only" 21 goals, a higher rate of a goal every 2.85 games. "

So the naysayers will say,"OK. We're on game 4 and he hasn't scored at all! He should have at least one and working on another!"

Chill out folks. There's 78 games left in the season.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Clark has impressed me so far. Watch any time he goes into the corners or fights along the boards. He almost always comes away with the puck. He plays hard, skates hard and looks faster this year.

No hating on Clarkie.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 9, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

First....270 to Route 15 to Harrisburg/Hershey.....MUCH better than going up 83. Have gone both ways and now I never go up 83. Have used 15 for the last dozen trips up there. The only worry is speed traps on some of those remote stretches of Maryland and southern Pa, and deer late at night coming home.

And to echo the comments of many others, the "Sky is Falling" nonsense is really laughable. The Caps have two one-goal losses. Last year the Caps started out 5-4-2 in their first 11 games, allowing 7 goals opening night, losing games like 5-0 to Buffalo, and playing woefully inconsistent.

Relax people. I know the last two nights were frustrating, but they weren't going to go 82-0.

Posted by: southside721 | October 9, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

snakegriffin, i totally agree about Clark, I think he has been solid. he has his speed back and that is nice to see. He is a great forechecker and good along the boards. who else does that for us out of the forwards, besides maybe BMo, who i remember was critisized as a terrible signing during the summer. Where are those people now? He has been the most consistent all around forward, read not best offensively, but best all around. He plays great D, he is almost like a younger faster Feds, and don't jump on me for that, I LOVE Feds and i know he is a future hall of famer and BMo is probably not but as of right now he is an improvement over Feds from last year.

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Clark is playing his best hockey since two years ago. Somebody on that third line needs to score though. We can't have two checking lines and as Bruce said, if you arent going to score, dont let them score on you at least.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | October 9, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Cirrus_Nine

from my earlier post...

On goalies, it seems they can only play 2/3 of a game so switch them in the 3rd. Baseball has relief pitchers and closers, so why not? Kinda fun to think about anyways.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 10:47 AM

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, get over that TSN story. It was right to a point but this discussion is enjoyable for most of the people on here or we wouldn't be having it. What should we talk about? How great they have been? They have been terrible defensively so far other than Boston. So that is what we are talking about. Get over it or go have another conversation about how great Schultzy is at Japers Rink

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Snakegriffin,
Enjoy the break. When you get back the same petty arguments and ridiculous statements will still be going on after every loss. Many on here have formed their opinions and will not change them regardless of what goes on. The GMGM and Schultz haters will be unaffected by anything positive.

Posted by: _Mark | October 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreenerLife

wow - talk about throwing yourself under the bus - it's almost guaranteed that someone will take your comment and challenge you on comparing feds body of work with bmo's. good luck to you

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 9, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@capskh,

Playing the PP, especially at the point, is not as taxing physically as a regular shift, assuming you spend most of the time in the zone and not chasing the puck down. So, Green (who is very, very good on the power play), could easily spend an entire 2 minutes out there without being completely gassed, depending on how it goes. Yes, Green hasn't been great yet, but we know he can be, so I would expect him to log long minutes on the PP point until such time as he is hurt or in the box...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 9, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

As a Schultz hater I am slightly offended that you think I am unaffected by anything positive. As a matter of fact, last night when Schultzy stripped Gaborik I looked at my fiancee and said that he might have matured into a top 4 D. Then the rest of the game happened. So no, I am not unaffected by anything positive. I just look at more than stats, I trust my eyes and judgement and they both tell me Schultz stinks. And not because he isn't physical. He just doesn't use his body well and his big body is all he has going well. And i tire of the argument that you don't have to be physical to be a good Dman, because i completely agree with it, but Schultz brings nothing else to the table other than his size, and in that case when you bring nothing else to the table, yes you do need to be a big tough D who will not just hit you but put his body and wingspan in front of you and deny you the goal. He doesn't do that because his positioning is bad and he is often behind his man. Not good D.

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreenerLife

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

don't think that was attempt at feds entire body of work.... just last year, and I would agree that BMo has been an improvement over Feds from last year.

Posted by: PhilR | October 9, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

capt kirk in AZ,

If we compare the body of work of Feds LAST YEAR to that of BMo so far THIS YEAR, like i said in the post then i can't see how you would say i'm wrong. Feds slowed down a lot last year but was still great defensively, other than his penalties, and okay offensively, other than game 7 with 5 mins to go. Now the body of work of their careers, like i'm guessing you wrongly thought i meant even though i stated in the post otherwise, is not a comparison, like i stated, Feds = HOF while BMo not so much. He can fall back on his Hobey and be proud.

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

But let's try and read the whole post before we comment on it. Just a thought, or is it too early in the season for thoughts?????????

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I just happened to turn around and glanced out the window to the bike path between my office and the hotel. There was a couple riding a tandem bike. Wearing those spandex Tour de France racing suits! And they matched!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

GreenerLife:
i know you meant last year's feds compared to this years bmo. i was just anticipating the backlash you might get from those that 'skim' the posts
btw - i agree with your assessment

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about that then Capt Kirk, that was undeserved then. My bad

Posted by: GreenerLife | October 9, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully there will be a solid effort and performance from everyone tomorrow night against the Wings...

Posted by: JCB9 | October 9, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I wonder where he turned around? Maybe the parking lot of the Cracker Barrel?

Posted by: CAP-lanta | October 9, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse