Posted at 3:24 PM ET, 12/13/2010

Feinstein: it's too early to panic

By Washington Post Sports

Columnist John Feinstein has chimed in on the Capitals recent losing streak. You can read the column here.

Feinstein offers a little perspective on this slump and, while acknowledging that the pressure to succeed is greater on this Capitals team than any in franchise history, he concludes that it is too early to hit the panic button.

He does, however, say the Capitals need to make a move -- by trading for a veteran goaltender before the Feb. 28 trade deadline.

By Washington Post Sports  | December 13, 2010; 3:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals assign Andrew Gordon to Hershey
Next: Could Ovechkin's fight be a lasting spark?

Comments

who is this clown? the white wilbon? Mike Wise's pupil?

no one outside of the hardcore fans of this hockey team is qualified to make sweeping judgments.

and his answer is to go get a veteran goaltender. Sean Burke still around?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Evgeni Nabokov is now available. Just cut by the KHL team he was playing for.

Posted by: jdove80 | December 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

why would anyone thing goaltender is our biggest issue...try again feinstein.

Posted by: capscoach | December 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Well he isn't completely wrong. Wouldn't hurt to have one you could trust to make a stop on a consistent basis.

Posted by: jdove80 | December 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

RIGHT ON!! As for my story: before Schofield there was Holt, and before Holt we had Rissling. Well, Rissling was w/the Pens playing the Caps, and he fought Holt (twice?) in addition to racking up tons of minors. My friend and I jeered him incessantly each trip to the box (back in those days, no one was around = prime seats for 12-13 year olds)....his last time to the box, he spit a loogie right at us, causing us to have to watch the nauseating drip down the plexiglass. We loved it and went nuts; Rissling gave us a big, toothless grin

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

My God I quit reading that article less than halfway through. Don't bother. More of the same pablum - regular season doesn't matter, caps can do it if Hawks did last year, hot goalie means more than anything.

No, John, having the right players and having them play the right way means more than anything.

The Caps don't have all the right players and they aren't playing the right way. They remind me of when we'd play volleyball and some would try bump-set-spike but others would just bang it over the net.

They say the way you practice shows how you'll play the game. And then the way you play the game (in reg season) shows how you'll do in the Playoffs.

It IS time to panic because we aren't doing it the right way!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein needs to stick to what he knows;
golf, basketball and Navy football.
Yeah trade for a vet goalie because goaltending is where the problem lies...
Clueless party of 1

Posted by: jotay131 | December 13, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein needs to stick to what he knows;
golf, basketball and Navy football.
Yeah trade for a vet goalie because goaltending is where the problem lies...
Clueless party of 1

Posted by: jotay131 | December 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein needs to stick to what he knows;
golf, basketball and Navy football.
Yeah trade for a vet goalie because goaltending is where the problem lies...
Clueless party of 1

Posted by: jotay131 | December 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Getting a great goalie doesn't mean squat if you're still refusing to play any defense in front of him.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

look capscoach, i can't be expected to date you if you refuse to acknowledge and accomodate my highbrow humor.

Posted by: cstanton1

Ok...I'm sorry :) where shall meet now?

Posted by: capscoach | December 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Why would get a veteran goaltender? So BB can yank him the playoffs after saying he wouldn't do exactly that.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

well, they usually let us out about once a day to stretch our legs...i could use a sandwich too :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

Ok...I'm sorry :) where shall meet now?

Posted by: capscoach | December 13, 2010 3:50 PM

capscoach: I really think you guys could be good for each other. (The thing cstanton really likes btw is when you slap him back!)

Oh, and you can name the first boy tominsocal1.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I had the chance to speak to GMGM at a used equipment sale three seasons ago. He approached me and asked me how everything was going. I asked him about getting stronger defensively and getting "tougher" overall. His immediate response was "is Detroit tough?". My answer to him was two fold: Detroit is/was tough enough and 2, you are not Detroit. He immediately walked away
---------------

someone please read this and comment. I'm biting my tongue off here...

i won't even mention how convenient it was that he mentions Detroit, and not Pittsburgh.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Caps goaltending is not consistent, then there's two young guys on D.
The learning curve for Alzner & Carlson is to be expected.

While Boudreau is not adjusting as well as he should, he's still being left hanging with what GM has provided.

With 2 young goalies, 2 young D-men and one trade for Hanan, I ask, is the the Defense Complete ?

Unless GM is terminated, this could all take a big turn for the worse, Permanently.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Not a big Feinstein fan, but was about to read his column anyway until I saw the mention of his solution of trading for a veteran goalie. Lost ALL credibility with me at that point.

Neuvy bailed the team out in countless games earlier in the season, and despite last night's debacle, I have faith in Varly too (the dude had a .930 SV% going in and his career GAA is 2.54 which is more than respectable, esp playing behind Boudreau's "system")

In terms of personnel, some forwards with a good mix of scoring/grit are what this team needs the most right now. If it's an experienced center for the 2nd line, all the better...

Posted by: chombie13 | December 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and you can name the first boy tominsocal1.

Posted by: tominsocal1 |

i thought we'd just adopt sgm. He sounds like he needs some strong parental guidance. Maybe some finger pushups at 6am every morning will put some lead in his pencil!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

If you recall, after Detroit won, McPhee was quoted saying he would build caps the way Detroit was built and that meant to him that we didn't need a "goon."

Honestly, give us Holmstrom and Kronwall and we could "be Detroit."

But again this would be like the baseball exec who said, "I'm two players away from the championship - Ruth and Gehrig."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Last 2 games, first shot from side of net goes in, these 2 goalies are not nearly as good as many believe.

Caps goaltending is average at best.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 13, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

talk about a moving target, Ted and George also mentioned how they wanted to be like Pittsburgh. Because they had 3 strong centers. No mention of any other attribute of the Pens however.

Before that they wanted to emulate Tampa, before that it was Minnesota.

Sounds to me like the Caps dont understand what it takes to be successful so they pick the team du jour to emulate. But then they only pick certain aspects for comparison.

My response would've been, why don't you pick Anaheim as an example? They won the Cup recently and led the league in fights. Why not choose Pittsburgh as a better example than Detroit given recent history?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

If McPhee wants to model the Wings, He'd have to get Ted to sell to a genuinely Real person and quit himself.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, who is that guy?? Does he watch hockey? That guy didn't mention that starting November 19th, Capitals didn't score a goal in 4 games, didn't mention how teams like Atlanta beat us almost very time now. Epic failure article, and btw, whats up with voting? more than 50%+ voted that we don't have a problem right now. who are these people that voted?

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | December 13, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

btw, the Flyers could win 3 cups in a row and you'd never hear GM mention them as a team to emulate.

He chooses Detroit because he equates them with being a very successful team whose success is largely based on their skill level.

He ignores the fact however that when the Wings played the Pens in the finals, the Wings had no problems racking up 50 hits in a game. Or that guys like Kronwall and Stuart are big hitters on D. Or that Cleary, Holmstrom, Franzen etc are great role players. Or that the speedy skill guys like Helm and Datsyuk are highly competitive players who don't mind the high traffic areas.

criminy..our GM sounds like a newbie fan.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Every time one of the WP columnists writes a column on hockey, the same Caps fans go on their ridiculously predictable rant and rave about their lack of knowledge of the game. I have listened to Feinstein comment on hockey, he is not completely ignorant of the sport as many of you guys have mistakenly accused him of being. He also didn't say that a veteran goaltender is the only thing they could use. Further, he also isn't the only hockey writer/commentator who has voiced this opinion. I have heard it several times before including on the NHL Network. Lastly, either you want the Washington Post to cover more hockey or you don't. You can't have it both ways. They don't typically hire these guys for their knowledge of just one sport. Every football, baseball, soccer, basketball, and hockey fan could find plenty to disagree with in almost every column one of them writes but at least this town has gotten to the point where the Caps matter in December. Thirty years ago if the Caps had lost six straight it might have gotten a byline on page nine. Go Caps!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 13, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey, before everyone rips into Feinstein, HE HAS A POINT. Now is not the time to panic, IT WAS LAST SUMMER!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say he was "completely ignorant." I said the article was wrong.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 13, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

fair enuff Hate.

I guess my irritation with it is that these guys present themselves as knowledgable hockey analysts. And they're not. But I understand the other points you made. We are happy for the coverage provided.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

1. Why is John Feinstein writing about hockey/the caps?

2. Why would anything John Feinstein writes about hockey show up on Caps Insider when countless other articles and pieces of information from knowledgable hockey sources are ignored?

Posted by: CalleJoFan | December 13, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The story for Wednesday will be attendance, look for 12 people to show up, half will be Ducks fans.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein has been on the Dwayne Roloson bandwagon since last year, there's nothing new about what he wrote today.

There is a reason why the average life span of a NHL coach is only 2 1/2 years. This team has tuned him out, it's time for a new coach.

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Goaltending change?! Even if Varly would'd made all saves but one, we still would've lost that game.
We need a really good center, NOW!

Posted by: guer_j | December 13, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Katie seems like a nice lady. She has a sweettempered looking face. You know, a real nice disposition. I like her more than I like Tarik.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

John Feinstein said everything's alright? Wellllll that changes everything. Never mind BB is a coaching genius particularly in the post season. I take back everything I've said.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm still wondering how JoeK went from the biggest koolaid drinker on Caps planet to now being the posterchild for the disgruntled caps fan. Quite a transformation. One of our biggest success stories.

Capscoach will be next....resistance is futile.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

This has nothing to do with this article or anything based on my expert hockey analysis, so if thats what you're looking for, just skip this. But for those that want a good laugh...

I was in Boston this past week and caught both their home games. Was a fun atmosphere, but nothing like The Phone Booth. I was able to land seats 6 rows from the ice for like $40 for the first game, then opted for the upper tier tix for the second game because they were only $22 and included ALL YOU CAN EAT.

I made the 2nd game my "Tribute to Esskay" night (Esskay = Sloan). I inhaled 5 hot dogs, 3 pretzels, an order of nachos and a couple beers (beers werent free nor cheap). Oh yeah, and the cups of nacho cheese were free as well so everything I ate was dipped. All I can say is, I dont know how Esskay does that every scratched game because man was I hurting...bad.

Oh and my buddy wouldnt let me bust on the old guys behind me when they were talking about how they should acquire Chris Borque.

I did however almost pick up one of Bruins' cheerleaders. She was waiting to throw t-shirts and was freezing. I offered her my coat while we waited and we talked. She then tried to throw a t-shirt right to me but alas my buddy grabbed hold of my arm and prevented my from catching it (he grabbed me because I was stepping on the girl next to us's popcorn).

The only real down side of the night was the accents. Man I wish that city would learn their vowels and pronounciations.

Oh well, back to hockey talk.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

BTW, who's John Feinstein???

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I would rather read anything by Feinstein about the Caps than one syllable from the now departed Wilbon. Wilbon said that Ovi is so far behind Crosby in accomplishment that he'd need a telescope to see Crosby. Feinstein is calm and thoughtful which is exactly the kind of analysis I find useful.

Posted by: pirate1 | December 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

So, with DJK now banished forever and for good, WHO IS GOING TO STEP UP and play that role when we play the Flyers, Pens, Bruins, or a host of any other teams?

Please, Brads/Hendricks can't do that kind of heavy lifting; Erskine will if he's confronted w/a situation, but he's PROVING TO BE INVALUABLE ON THE BACKLINE (Lord knows he would relish that role if not for his injury history). So what next? Who will make us PROUD and cause us to not suffer the SHAME and EMBARASSMENT that is quickly approaching?

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein is a tool. I don't respect anything he has to say.

"Katie seems like a nice lady. She has a sweettempered looking face."

It's always the "sweet tempered" looking ones that you need to watch out for. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 13, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW, who's John Feinstein???

-------------

He's that jewish guy that makes all those summer blockbuster disaster movies.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

pirate1

As much as I hate Wilbon that statement has a great deal of truth to it.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein giving his 2 cents about hockey is like a Dermatologist telling you what's wrong with your sciatic nerves.

John's authored 23 books on the following sports:
Golf - 7
Basketball - 9
Football - 3
Tennis - 2
Baseball - 2
Hockey - A BIG FAT 0

Posted by: puckman | December 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

so SAOTI, you think you almost picked up this cheerleader chick because you offered her your coat and she threw you a tshirt?

i love guys

haha

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Tarik had 2-3 updates everyday, and after game summary and videos were usually up an hour after the game. Now it is usually is up like at 1am. I don't care what kind of face she got, but Capitals insider is not that interesting as it used to be last year. I miss Tarik

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | December 13, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Didnt give you all the details...some things are meant just for me :)

Having said that:

SAOTI talks to women = they throw him their shirts

cstanton1 talks to women = they throw drinks in his face

See the difference =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 13, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sign Wayne Gretzky! Hire Scotty Bowman!

Posted by: SA-Town | December 13, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:20 PM

Sheesh, cstanton, you just made a date to meet capscoach and adopt sgm and you're already ten minutes later flirting with Katie?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 13, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

who cares about that though, just go to nhl.com and you can watch all the video you want. Are you talking about postgame conference vid maybe?

anyway, maybe katie's got a hot date after the game or a personal life, or kids or something. Tarik was a lone wolf. He had more time.

the lady has a nice face. Very sweetnatured.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me that it hasn't come to the point where Feinstein's opinion on anything, let alone hockey, is treated with anything but derision. Feinstein-hockey? Please!

Posted by: giscone | December 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

He ended up on their top line before an injury derailed him and his career
*cstanton*

@Boomer

The fact that you don't know Kono got injured means that you aren't much of a scout either.
*Hunterforcoach*
------------------------------------------
The fact that NEITHER of you know that it was a heart condition NOT an injury that ended Kono's career means what then?

Kono's a great guy and I'd love to see him get his chance in DC. He does have aspirations to be a coach. At this point, without quoting him, just knowing him the way I do, I would bet that he feels he's not ready yet (to be head coach at nhl level). He wants to be better before he actively markets himself would be my guess. Now if somebody comes knockin who knows?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI talks to women = they throw him their shirts

cstanton1 talks to women = they throw drinks in his face

See the difference =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

yeah, i'm getting free liquor thrown at me! score!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"the lady has a nice face. Very sweetnatured."

Careful! GMGM might sign her for the 4th line...

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Tomas Voukoun. He's a UFA after this season, has really good numbers despite being in front of a pathetic panthers team, and will be highly sought after over the summer.

If Varly plays decently the rest of the year and still hasn't resigned its entirely possible he leaves. GMGM has a great poker face, but he may just be trying to drive up value when he says "holtby, neuvi, and varly are not for sale."

Posted by: breaklance | December 13, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Top line my @ss!
----------------

bro, kono played with sakic and selanne.

that's the avs top line. And in fact, they thought he was BETTER on their top line than was karira.

so i don't care if you played on the Avs at the time, it doesn't change the fact that Stevie K played extremely well for the Avs and did get the promotion to the top line

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

pokerface1208

You're correct it was a heart condition, I believe it was arrhythmia if memory serves.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Where is all this comparison to the Wings coming from ?

Bowman taught team defense first. We NEVER play team defense. It's too much work. BB's philosophy is 180 degrees different than that of Bowman's.

I've sat and watched Bowman teams in Landover and DC for years. Who do we have that hits like Kromwell (other than Ovi, a forward) ? Which one of our forwards plays defense like Pavel D. ?

Do we have a forward they would call "The Mule" because he refuses to be removed from the slot. Franzen is mule in front. We've got Fehr and Laich hanging out at the side of the net against the Habs.

Has GMGM ever acquired a guy who is a "true beast" like McCarty. No one "routinely playing" on this team would fight a guy Probert. McCarty hung with Probert big time. (Erskine or DJK would probably entertain the idea of fighting Probert, but they would never seek him out like McCarty. McCarty was protecting his team mates.)

McCarty would be a healthy scratch on most nights with BB.

Yea, old Bruce he's gonna' end up in the Hall too, when he's done. "The anti-team defense approach to winning the cUp"

STOP THE CAPS -WINGS COMPARISONS. IT MAKES LOOK RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

----------------------

you try takin care of a rugrat like sgm and see if it doesn't drive you to greener pastures. Or at least something to take the edge off. The boy's a handful. I'm giving him back.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, give us Holmstrom and Kronwall and we could "be Detroit."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------
You know the funny thing about this is, we probably are only a player or 2 away. Granted there's only 1 Holmstrom but anybody's who's watched hockey knows he's HUGE reason they won Cups while he was there.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 13, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@tom- shame on you for reading the article when the lead in to the link stated he thought goal tending was our problem.

@capscoach and cstanton1- Glad to see you two are making progress in the advancement of your love affair. The sexual tension between you two has been obvious for some time. If there are any awkward pauses during your first date, you can always revert back to hockey talk....ok, maybe that wouldn't go over too well.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

i wonder if katie regrets taking this job. I just read thru some of the threads. You guys are all nuts. She must just shake her head and wonder what she got herself into!

i bet she bakes good cookies. She's got that cookie-baking face.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

....resistance is futile.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 4:25 PM

we shall see

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Someone please explain to me how a new goaltender helps a team that can't score goals.

Posted by: zmega | December 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, Hunts, Erskine "probably" entertain the idea? If not for his injuries, and the potential of his career ending IF HE EATS THE WRONG FISTS again, he'd be right up there. I'm not disrespecting King Probert or McCarty, but Ersk is cut from the same cloth and relished fighting as much as those guys (pre-concussions)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Enough already with the endless rants about BB "Being too busy making bad TV commercials to coach the team properly"

Um, by my count there are currently five (5) different local TV commercials airing which--in one way or another--feature Coach Boudreau.

Were they a waste of his time? Probably.
Were they stupid? Almost certainly.
Were they a degrading embarassment for BB and viewers alike? Damn straight.

That said, please also consider that:

--Two of these commercials (the American Service Center "Cupholder" ad and first of the Geico Caveman/Zamboni ads (in which BB had only a cameo apearance at the end) were both filmed last season.
--All of the remaining three ads(ASC "Bird Calls"; Hadeed Carpet; ASC "track suit dance") were filmed during the off-season, each one taking a maybe couple hours tops of the Coach's time.

So while these ads may be detrimental to the coach's image (and, I daresay, his dignity), I don't think it has much to do at all with his performance of his coaching duties.

Consider carefully: Are any of us spending every waking moment (even when we're on vacation) thinking about our primary jobs?

What did you think? That BB is rushing off the bench/off the ice to get to the studio every time one those commercials is aired? Sheesh!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@hunterforPRESIDENT

I wish #4 would've stepped up last night, he would've carried the day vs. Prust (no slouch in his own right)....I can understand his unwillingness to support a team THAT WON'T SUPPORT HIM. Now, who can blame him for looking out for himself ON A TEAM THAT ONLY LOOKS OUT FOR ITSELF (of course if it's Erskine...see Green, Varly and I'm sure a few more over the years)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

capscoach, look if we wanted a class on cosmetology or cooking or whatever, we rely on you to provide that. This is hockey, ok? no room for girlies on this ride.

ok don't get your panties all bunched up!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 2:21 PM

@cstanton1:

Sir, that was uncalled-for

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 13, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI- Screw your friend and the popcorn,if she was a cheerleader, you gotta go for it! Also, way to get your money's worth on the all you can eat.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Grit is in the eye of the beholder, my friends...

Anybody got any Visine®?

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

explains the bit of 'rouge' on his cheeks last night.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@toolate...but you can still read all the dribble from the hockey experts on the blog:)

Posted by: boomer44 | December 13, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Repost from previous thread:

I didn't get to watch last night's game, and I am probably much happier because of it. I did go to hockeyfights to watch Ovi's fight and the only thing that bothered me was the reaction by the players. On the Rangers side the players were all tapping the side boards with their sticks. On the Caps side,.....nothing. No emotion no response...NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

That tells me all I need. Not only has BB lost this team, the team has lost its heart.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 13, 2010 4:45 PM

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 13, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

is detroit tough?????????????????

Was he watching when Detroit killed off a 2 minute 5 on 3 when ZETTERBURG was on the ice for almost the entire PK?????

isn't that tough??????????

GMGM doesn't even know what tough is.

as for the Hawks.....They have a core group of guys made to win in the spring, and a coach that knows how to prepare them for the spring.

We have "stats" guys....and play in the Southeast.

Nuff Said. Still Love the Caps....

Feinstein can go with GMGM and BB and take a long walk off a short cliff.

Posted by: capitalsfan47802 | December 13, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1:

Sir, that was uncalled-for

Posted by: Rhino40

well i..i'm a pig.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@Hunterforcoach:

I too have fond memories of Dale Hunter and what he did for this team.

You, however, seem to get an awful lot of mileage out of constantly reminding us--in one way or another:

--That other teams have won the Stanley Cup,
--That the Caps have never won the Stanley Cup,
--That no Player, Coach, or General Manager deserves to live unless they have won the Stanley Cup, and
--That--unless your formula for NHL success is followed to the letter--the Caps "never will [win the Stanley Cup]".

Whatever.

But could you please stop constantly referring to the Stanley Cup as the "cUp" (sic.). I'm sure I'm not the only one here that is starting to find that annoying.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 13, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I just finished reviewing the fights from last night at hockeyfights.com. YIKES! 0-7 on the scoreboard and 0-3 in the fights. Having King out there we might have had a victory of some sort. We need a REAL 4th line dammit! Bradley and Hendricks have heart, but not the skill or strength.

As mentioned earlier Erskine is one of the best fighters in the league. After McGratton nearly ended his career with a right to the jaw he's had concussion issues. Erskine is old school to the core, throws bombs with reckless abandon and is willing to take one to deliver one. He is too valuable to the backline to risk losing to a fight. With Erskine out of the mix we're left with D men resorting to hittng opponents with their purses. Except Poti, he's to wimpy to swing a purse!

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Top line my @ss! When the Avs 1st traded for him they weren't sure if he could skate with the high flying, wheeling & dealing western conference coming from a slower more gritty eastern conf. I was here in Denver when it happened and I know Kono and see him regularly. Kono was a great addition to the club and they found he could skate and play even more effectively in his role here. Posted by: pokerface1208

Yeah,I loved Kono. I honestly can't remember him ever taking a single shift off. He always played like he knew how lucky he was to be in the NHL. Unfortunately he had a real hard time finishing, but it was never do to a lack of effort. I'd gladly welcome him as a coach just based on the way he played the game.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

wasn't mcgratton, i think it was goddard

Posted by: _stevo | December 13, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

How do you contract Long Q-T syndrome ?
After years of playing break neck hockey !!
I would call it an injury.

Also, I remember Kono coming up huge for them in the playoffs. 4 or 5 goals in 2004 playoff run ??????? Some big hits, a fight, etc.

Av's felt they stole him. It was no secret at the time. He wanted a trade. Don't care how you want to twist the story.

McPhee got Bates Bwhatyyayaya out of it.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

-------------------

it was eric godard but point taken. I think Mike Green had finished a check inside our blueline on a Calgary player and I think Godard came in and then Erskine came over to bail him out. And got knocked out.

btw, the Caps almost signed Godard before they signed Brashear. But walked away because they were wary of his alcohol issues. Turns out, they made a questionable move. Godard imo has been one of the top enforcers in hockey for the last few yrs. And is still capable.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

_stevo

99% sure it was McGratton.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, they got jj and bb from the avs for sk

Bates is very much like Chimera. Two guys who play smaller than their size and are real spot pickers.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

It was godard who took it to Erskine....AND BB WILL EXPECT JOHNNY E TO FACE HIM AND THE PENS WITH NO SUPPORT!!

Because ya'll mentioned McGrattan, we could offer Fehr straight-up to the Bruins but I doubt they'd bite....

Look, we don't need the best person at every position, and we don't need the best enforcer either. BUT WE DO NEED SOMEONE FILLING THAT ROLE ON THE BENCH, NOT IN THE PRESSBOX.

DJK would do just fine if BB would give him some confidence, define his role and the coach's expectations of him, AND THEN LET HIM ROLL AND GET OUT OF HIS WAY.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, they got jj and bb from the avs for sk

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

_stevo

Nope, you're 100% correct.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

_stevo

You're 100% correct.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Freaking hotel internet lag. I need to go for a natural unassisted quad post tonight!!!

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

if i had to list my order of priorities to increase our grit and balance that out with how difficult it would be, the area to focus on is our bottom 2 lines. We're not getting enough mileage out of those positions. Brads and Hendricks are it right now. We're running at 33% efficiency on our bottom 2 lines.

Which is why I wished we had picked up a kid like Staubitz or Eric Nystrom, both were available. One cost nothing except for money. Those are the guys who can match up with the role players on our bigger rivals.

Next would be to get a kid like Sheldon Brookbank on D. Someone who can play both ends, not great but good enough. And provides the requisite toughness. For a top 4 guy you could have replaced Poti with a James Wisniewski type.

I can even live without a true heavy if we stack our bottom two lines, pick up a gritty two way center, and add one more gritty guy on D. Then a heavyweight becomes a luxury.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, we veteran fans know things are *really* bad when the columnists who never write about hockey start writing about it, usually to kick the Caps when they're down.

Varly had a lousy night, and it's a shame they apparently didn't realize how sick Neuvy was until it was too late to call Holtby up to back up. It's pretty clear to most of us the whole team is a mess right now, and plugging a veteran goalie in is not going to fix it or help a team that's been shutout 4 times in 13 games.

It's true a goalie can pick up his team by making great saves, and none of our G's of late have done that consistently. I just don't think you can fairly judge the goalies when the team around them is playing so poorly and inconsistently.

Posted by: blackjack65 | December 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

@FLdave

McGrattan took it to Erskine once, too. However, it was the Godard fight that concussed him and, ultimately, CAUSED ERSKINE TO DOCTOR-SHOP TO GET CLEARANCE TO FINISH THE SEASON.

Heart?? Courage? Toughness? ONLY IN DC CAN PEOPLE NOT APPRECIATE WHAT THEY'RE GETTING IN #4....please please hurry back ****55, the team needs you.....PUHLEEZE

My affinity for #4 is well-documented on these threads AND I'LL STILL ROOT FOR HIM WHEN HE'S IN FLYER ORANGE OR PEN/BRUINS BLACK.....we finally get a dman whose mean/scare factor IS UNLIKE ANYTHING WE'VE SEEN SINCE STEVENS AND TINORDI, and he's nothing but an injury fill-in and depth dman to most here.

When #4 is gone, I WANT MATT CARKNER to police the backend

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Ok I'll stop the cUp stuff. There is only one way to win the cup after an 82 game season. I've been playing and watching hockey since before the Caps existed.

1)balanced scoring

2)team defense

3)good(not great)
goal tending

4) playing injured

All four must come togeather. What did we not have in 98 ? Balanced scoring !!!

This team will not play injured, will not score ugly playoff goals, and will not play team defense.

There is where my dislike for McPee and BB come from. We are not built for the playoffs. The entire league is playing playoff hockey against us. Hell, look at the Atlanta games. Last night Torts kept pouring it on. Philly played a playoff type game against us. We're done !!!!!!!!!!

Should I stop being a fan because I see an idiot GM and an idiot coach ?

This is my team. Not McPee's. He'll end up in Jersey when LL retires.

I've been a fan for 35 years. We are waisting the best player in the world. This type of hockey will not win a cup. And, I'm sick over it.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

On the Current Funk/Skid/Schneid/whatever you want to call it.

I have to believe that this will eventualy pass, but WTF? Every team has its ups and downs in the course of an 82-game season, but this is just absurd.

I have thought long and hard about the history of this team. Not just last night or the current losing streak or even the deeply disappointing lack of playoff success in recent years, but over the long term. It goes all the way back to 1974...

Unlike the Redskins, whose woes can be traced directly to the meddlesome control-freak ways of possibly the worst owner in NFL history, the star-crossed journey of the Caps franchise has been going on too many years for the blame to be laid at the doorstep of any one person. Not any single player or group of players, not any coach, not any General Manager, not even any particular owner can possibly be responsible for all this suffering.

--The almost-unrelenting hate we get from the zebras, especially when it hurts us the most.

--The numerous posts and crossbars hit when goals are most desperately needed.

--Battling through some of the longest postseason games in NHL history, only to fall short almost every time.

--The bizarre bounces, double- and triple-deflections leading to back-breaking enemy goals (If Salvador Dali ever saw one of those, I guarantee his reaction would have been: "WTF?").

--The multiple Art Ross trophy winner who--after torturing us for years--suddenly, unaccountably sucks after joining the Caps--only to shine once again after he departs.

--The seemingly endless suffering at the hands of the most obnoxious organization/fan base in the entire NHL (that this is happening at any time is bad enough, but why oh why does it have to be when the Evil Empire is on a 12-games-and-counting win streak?)

--The heartbreaking early exits from the playoffs after holding commanding series leads.

--The way that marginal goalies somehow become good, good goalies become great, and great goalies become legendary--but only when facing our team.

--It used to be that the Caps couldn't run with the "Big Dogs" because they lacked the horsepower. Now we seem to have nearly all the pieces now but still can't get it done...

All of which leads me to the only question I have left:

Why does God hate this hockey team, and can anything be done about it?

Folks, it ain't about Kool-Aid® or Goat's Blood™...Forget it: I'm just too depressed. The only good that I can see coming out of this is that maybe people will see that this team is better defensively with Jeff Schultz than without him. Of course, that may not make a lot of difference when the team somehow can't score goals anymore.

I'm sorry...I'm going to bed.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 13, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Was going to say, I thought it was Goddard.
btw, @ FLDave- have you ever been hit with a purse,depending on the contents, Ouch! The backline is OK as long as they carry a lot of hard objects in their purses.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

After my last post I ran across this:

"The Caps are too good a team not to bounce back, even though they are winless in six straight games. The one area that may be giving GM George McPhee pause is his goaltending situation. Perhaps, like the rest of the squad, his young netminders, Semyon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth, are just in a midseason funk. Maybe. But what if they aren't? There is no question that their level of play right now isn't good enough to support a long playoff run. Neuvirth started the season on fire but has not won in almost a month. Varlamov has shown himself to be injury-prone and has lost three straight since returning to action, including allowing all seven goals on just 20 shots in Sunday's whitewash.

McPhee has plenty of time to mull over his options, but one would think either Neuvirth or Varlamov has to put together a string of consistent starts in the coming weeks to negate the possibility that McPhee will be shopping for a veteran netminder to shore up the goaltending situation. Florida Panthers netminder Tomas Vokoun, about to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, immediately comes to mind. Or how about Dwayne Roloson on Long Island?"

Scott Burnside ESPN 12/13/2010

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 13, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

blackjack65

Agreed. The players have left the goalie out to dry. From OV turning over the puck last night and going to the bench to the D not standing up at the blue line. Varly absolutely let in some softies last night. Not that it mattered the Caps would have still found a way to lose.

The Caps announcers didn't say it (I believe they did with Hanlon), but the team is playing like they want their coach canned.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

why'd i think rhino was a Sarge fan?

Feinstein drivel:

McPhee has proven himself a master in recent years, not only on draft day but in making the seemingly minor trade that makes his team better.
--------------------------

1-- as each yr passes and more McPhee draft picks fall by the wayside, this myth of him being a master drafter will keep dissipating. He's a few notches below "master" level. Which sucks for him since that aspect of his mgmt is used as proof of his brilliance.

2-- since when has McPhee been able to make those minor trades consistently that make his team better? Corvo? The yr before when he did nothing? Belanger? Chimera?

Cooke, Fedorov, yes. That helped. But if you look at other GMs in hockey these types of moves aren't head and shoulders above his colleagues. He's about middle of the pack in this regard.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Grit.........if you still can't quite figure out GRIT google Quintin Laing..or Matt Bradley... it makes for good 4th line players...too bad Steckel doesn't have it..and very few skill players have it regularly but if they do they get hall of fame votes

Posted by: wendel2 | December 13, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Hunterforcoach.....

well said!!!!!!!

last year's blackhawks were eveyrthing you described that it takes to win the cup.

Ovi might be slumping...and Ovi might not be perfect......but he deserves to have a franchise that can atleast field a team that is built to hoise the cup.

Posted by: capitalsfan47802 | December 13, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

good god i hope they dont pin this current situation on goaltending. The irony is, goaltending (dating back to Olie in the late 90s thru about 2002) has masked this team's defensive issues for many years. To now point to goaltending as a reason indicates some denial going on.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino

After that post, why are you busting on me over my frustration with 35 years of mostly mismanagement ? WTF ??
The fluke bounces will start to go our way. We just need to keep making the playoffs. The front ofice will not go away unless pushed.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Keeping w/the fisticuffs, do people remember Jeff Odgers? Like Bradley, he bled A LOT. Like DJK in his 3 fights thus far, he often LOST A LOT.

But he was beloved by his team, was the very definition of selflessness, and he became an important part of every team he played for because of it. NOBODY EVER DOUBTED THAT ODGERS WOULD SHOW UP.

DJK could be that player for us...

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Even though the team is stinking it up, the CI comments are lively! Did I see someone tagged hateisnotafamilyvalue defending basketball writer Feinstein? It doesn't get any better than this. Besides hate was obviously a value of the crazy Manson family.
Goaltending is not the problem. The problem is in the structure of the team. GMGM is not going to fire himself, so he has to fire BB first. Ted can axe GMGM in the summer. Then we'll start this long beautiful journey over again. Hopefully it won't take 36 more years!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 13, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps

Very true! Stevens played a 2 periods of a regular season game knowing he broke his foot in the first period. When asked why he said something like "I knew if I took my skate off I couldn't get it back on because of the swelling. I didn't want to leave the D short handed, plus I still wanted to play."

I'll take the old Caps that had heart over this team ANY day of the week. President Trophy's and MVP's be damned. I remember being proud of my team, these guys even when they are winning are embarassingly soft and heartless. You would think the GMGM being a tough guy would understand/appreciate toughness and heart. Oh well...

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The Carlson trade WAS a great move.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 13, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2

I assume you're referencing those posts a few threads back. Few posts have annoyed me the way 'getjiggy's' posts have. Grit = magical pixidust. In other words, it doesn't exist. Complete horsesh*t.

Laing epitomizes the word grit. It's a shame he's not still part of the organization. He dind't have the skill, but he had the will, and it seemed the players would feed off his play. The only guy that was crazier than him in terms of blocking shots is Ian Laperriere. He took two to the face last year in a short span, and hasn't played this year because of it.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I think the reason that everyone on here is so critical is that they play the wrong way. They are really fun to watch at times but this year is a different story. They play with no gusto. If The Caps came out every night and played hard there would be fewer of us regardless of the result that would be so darn critical. BB may be a great AHL coach but is not a good NHL coach anymore. He is good at mentoring the young guys but not vetrean players. The young guys are now becoming veterans. He has lost his mantle.

Posted by: pkme | December 13, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that someone like Jose Theodore is just what this team needs even if they're not better then Varly or Neuvy.

What they really need is to score goals.

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | December 13, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps

Odgers had heart but no ability much like Bradley. King on the otherhand has BOTH, but unfortunately at this rate we'll never see it in DC.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

yep it was. But then, trading out of spots when power forwards or physical defensive dmen are available are not good moves. He's middle of the pack on a lot of stuff that he gets this insanely high credit for. Was there a single "expert" that denounced the trade for Corvo?

why was Belanger described as a gritty center? He's about as gritty as Nylander. (yes i know he played thru his broken teeth)

you know why?

because the experts don't know squat. The only folks who know anything of substance exist on msg boards. And that's because they follow their team a lot more closely than a national hockey analyst does. And many of them follow other teams as well so as to have a basis for comparison.

when fans give McPhee credit for being an incredible drafter, they count in players who haven't faded away yet. His drafting is the best aspect of his mgmt. And its not phenomenal. Overall he's no better than just "good". And even that applies to him drafting skill, not balance.

so his drafting say has been good, his trading activity/efficiency has been below avg imo, his FA signees have been average, his coaching hires overall have been avg (kept RW around too long, hired Butch, hired Glen, and now he's running into an issue with Bruce).

how is this guy considered a great GM?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Odgers to his credit improved his fighting ability over his career. He started off as a total punching back (ala kelly buchberger) and then became a more capable fighter (ala andre roy)

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1

GMGM can draft and build one hell of a farm club!

We have a bunch of 1st rounders because of the fire sale/years of mediocrity. Now we have talent galore with no leadership or heart. Which amount to zip... I'd rather watch a tough team grind it out, fight and play their hearts out every night win or lose. There was a time teams dreaded seeing the Caps on their schedule. Now they lick their chops.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

kcbrichmond,

Actually the other post agreed with me for the most part. He didn't rip into me at all. Additionally, I NEVER said I agreed with Feinstein. I merely said there were others in print and voice media saying the same thing as Feinstein to include ESPN's Burnside which I posted above and that his opinion wasn't so outrageous. For the record, I would much rather see the Caps acquire a 2nd line center.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 13, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@FLETCH QL is playing for the Calgary Flames AHL team in Abbottsford and seems to be appreciated there unlike in Washington where they didnt even want him in Hershey setting an example for young guys on what it takes to be a pro hockey player

Posted by: wendel2 | December 13, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

gmgm knew bb liked his style and wanted him around but gmgm wouldn't even talk to him at the end of last year...so much for gmgm's views on the need for grit...guess he'd rather have more soft euro types

Posted by: wendel2 | December 13, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

So its too early to panic, but its not too early to talk about what moves we will need to make at the deadline? Right.

And Rhino, god doesn't hate this hockey team... he's too busy not existing.

Posted by: griz0615 | December 13, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

If we are going to sign an old over the hill goalie why not bring back Olaf Kölzig? I certainly wouldn't be against getting Vokoun except for the fact he makes 5.7 million this year and that would be the only move we could make. I also wouldn't want to trade 1 of the young goalies (I have no idea what FL needs or wants for him).
I'm begining to think one of the Caps must have pissed in the Stanley Cup and cursed the team (I'm guessing Iafrate since none of the teams that have had him have won a cup since he was on the team and he seems like a guy that would put away a few too many and utilize the cup in a very bad way). That must be it, let's blame Al Iafrate for not winning the cup and A. Gordon for last night. Yea, that's the ticket.
(BTW, Iafrate was one of my favorite players, I still have his jersey somewhere around the house)

Posted by: chriscaps | December 13, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

NOT defending GMGM, but here's something I haven't seen talked about on these boards. Traditionally, the Caps have been a team that played hard but lacked the talent to go all the way. Ever since I started following the Caps in '81, they've mostly been a hardworking team that gave it all they got but just didn't have enough top end skill to get us over the hump. When we made it to the Finals in '98, it was still a Poile team at the core. I believe that when GMGM got a chance to clean house before the lockout, he looked at our team history and put too much emphasis on acquiring skill guys(chalk this up to inexperience as a GM). What we are left with is a team with top end offensive talent but severely lacking in the heart and grit that is traditionally seen from a Caps team. I was happy at first to finally see some top end skill come into our pipeline, but going from one extreme to the other is/was not the answer. I think GMGM's inexperience as a GM made him think that all offensively gifted guys was the way to go when in fact reaching a solid balance is what you need. Does this mean GMGM needs to go? To this point he hasn't seemed to understand this balance principle so...?

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wendel2

I heard he landed out west, and I'm happy he got a shot somewhere. I can only deduce that GM wanted to make room in Hershey for Gustafsson and Eric Mestery. GM certainly seems extremely inflexible in his views. The team loved Brash, wanted him to stay, GM lets him walk. A guy like Laing, who played his a** every shift can't even find a spot in the A with this team.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Wendel, I hope you will tell QL that there are a lot of DC fans who appreciate what he did for the team, even if the organization did not give him his due.

Posted by: zmega | December 13, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

because the experts don't know squat.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 6:14 PM

this doesn't mean non-experts do know squat - does it?

that would make me a 'squat knower'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 13, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

gmgm played like a euro and unfortunately thinks you can win with a team full of them...he drives bb nuts with some of his moves

Posted by: wendel2 | December 13, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

it means that the experts ain't the experts. That is all.

now be assimilated or we will browbeat you into submission.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

@zmega I'll pass that along to him at xmas...he misses the people in Washington too

Posted by: wendel2 | December 13, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

FunkyGloveFacewash

The 98 finals was a complete fluke. If you remember the better teams were upset by lesser teams basically paving the way to the finals for the Caps. Once they face a worthy opponnent the broom was brought out.

Very good point about the history of the team (been a fan since 83) and the lack of offensive threats. As I stated earlier in this monster thread I believe we have all the tools right now to win the Cup. They are just in the wrong hands (BB).

This team will go nowhere for the 4th straight year unless BB is replaced or can change his coaching style and adapt/outwit other coaches. I don't think he's capable of the latter.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

BIZARRE QUESTION.....

guys not trying to get a whole different trend of conversation because I am thoroughly enjoying the course this thread is taking.

Does anyone out there wonder if really truly we are struggling because the chiropractor is in jail???

i am being serious with this question.

Posted by: capitalsfan47802 | December 13, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

now be assimilated or we will browbeat you into submission.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 13, 2010 6:57 PM

check with me next week - i've still got a keg of kool-aid i haven't even tapped yet :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 13, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, if Feinstein say so … but for goodness sake who is reading him?

Posted by: hock1 | December 13, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

He's a clown... that Charlie Brown...

Posted by: rdatman | December 13, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

capitalsfan47802

As in lack of a good steroid supplier? Chiropractors are a dime a dozen, then again so are steroid suppliers. You can order them online or legally get them by having your testosterone level checked through blood work. There is no black and white line as to 'normal' so you can easily get them from your physician.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

capitalsfan47802

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Amen. So long as we beat the Flyers and Pens, the season is a success in my book. I wish we could add an "energy" guy in the vein of Lou Franceschetti or Kevin Kaminski...those guys were HUMAN WRECKING BALLS. Brads and Chimera could back him up, Erskine and DJK would negate the heavies.....a strong, 2-way center who could fight would go a long way on this team

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I would say that the argument over who's the problem, BB or GMGM is essentially one in the same. GMGM is guilty of not providing BB with a group of players that are balanced with grit and skill. BB is guilty of not using the gritty guys he has been given in an effective manner. Chicken or the egg? At this point, I think a change is in order and a coaching change is the first logical answer. Before anyone labels me a 'Darksider' I will re-state something I said on a previous thread. Funky and labels kind of clash. I take pride in having always been able to see both sides of the coin, regardless of the subject, so if you wanna put a label on me, you better be ready to drop the funky smelling mitts.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave

I agree Dave, BB's style has been figured out and thus far, he hasn't seemed able or willing to adjust.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

FLDave, you seem to know way too much about getting steroids!

Posted by: zmega | December 13, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

OMG.....I DIDN'T MEAN CHIMERA, I MEANT HENDRICKS IN LAST POST.

That said, he'll get the message and either shape up or ship out

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Feinstein fan but he got this right. It doesn't mean SV or MN aren't going to be great one day, it merely means they're not yet ready.

I just can't believe all those who'd rather watch the Caps of the 80's and early 90's play as opposed to today's team. All because they believe in pixiedust (aka "grit"). I hate to break it to you folks but it was pretty miserable watching the Caps of the late 80s try to compete against the top notch teams of that era.

Posted by: getjiggly | December 13, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

LOL I don't remember those teams getting SHUTOUT 4 times in 13 games by a combined score of 23 to nothing... No they weren't as talented as this group but at least they didn't QUIT on their coach like this team.

That's about the worst thing you can say about a team.

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

per steroids talk:

Isn't it next to impossible to get away with steoid use in the NHL? All teams get randomly checked 2X a year and they can trace steroid in your blood from up to 6 months ago.

Posted by: capscoach | December 13, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@getjiggly- Feinstein didn't get this right, goaltending is not the Caps issue despite what some of our recent high scores against might suggest. Again, the fact that goaltending is even implied as the issue shows that the author of the article doesn't know what the he** he's talking about. You should read or re-read my post about grit and skill balance.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see that nasty Jody Shelley hit? He could have killed that guy with a move like that.

Posted by: capscoach | December 13, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@getjiggly

We want to be like those teams that were pounding us in the 80's. You're clueless. Who are you ? I want it all ! Why, because I've dumped enough money and emotion into this team that we should have an experienced cup winning coach and a GM who has won a cup.(or really knows how to build a cup winner.)

We don't want to be the Cubs or the old Langway Capitals. We want to the same thing to happen here that happened in Chicago. I want to see Alan May crying on TV like JR did. It's time. We have Ovi. It's time to get a real coach in here.

They know this guy is a loser. They've stopped playing for him.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

@getjiggly

They know this guy is a loser. They've stopped playing for him.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it next to impossible to get away with steoid use in the NHL? Posted by: capscoach

@capscoach- As far as I know the NHL doesn't currently test for 'steoid's'. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Btw, you might want to give dating cstanton1 a try. From what I hear, his rough exterior is just a facade and he can be quite the gentlemen. Sorry, I couldn't resist that either.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 13, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@joek

Getjiggly is just Biggsamesyd on a friend's computer.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Getjiggly is absolutely right. It's about the goalies. They're too young and give up too many rebounds.

Posted by: seraphina21 | December 13, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

@saoti

Nice story, and funny subsequent posts...I'll be down in Boston this Saturday (and yes, whoever said "if you're an adult you really shouldn't be wearing a team jersey outside of your house"earlier today...MY FAMILY AND I WILL BE SPORTING CAPS JERSEYS (I might wear a Bruins shirt underneath if BB is still the coach) and hunterforcoach: my wife will PROUDLY be sporting her Hunter 32 Nordique Tshirt)

I hope you weren't suggesting, saoti, that Boston fans were lame and, in some way, not as passionate as Caps fans. I've seen the Caps in the Cap Center, the Spectrum, the Igloo, Nassau Coliseum, Hartford Civic, and the new barns in Boston and Montreal. I've scored similar seats/bargains in MONTREAL when the Caps weren't nearly as recognizable.

Boston fans are hardcore, and because you were the beneficiary of circumstances, their passion or support for the team shouldn't be questioned. In fact, Bruins fans have been hardened by the history that comes with being an Original six team, and they know it's a long season that becomes a battle of attrition. As for the bar scene and tv sets throughout New England (seats of real fans, too) they're tuned-in and on top of things.

I can't help but thinking of the Caps as the Gilded Team. And when I first came to CI, it was only because I COULDN'T BELIEVE what people were thinking and saying about my beloved team. Myself and a few more banged our heads trying to convince fans here of the imminent implosion (caused by multiple factors discussed previously).

I've never seen the Caps play in the "Phone Booth", but maybe I will this Xmas when we're in town. The impression I get from afar (I won't go into the factors, i'm rambling enough..) CAPS FANS LIKE MYSELF, HUNTER4, CSTAN, FLDAVE, KCB and many more are being overwhelmed and becoming a dying breed by a nouveau-riche Caps fanbase WHO CAN'T SEE THE FOREST THROUGH THE TREES.

I love the Caps, and I love all of my friends who are Caps fans. I will continue to come here and plead for my team, as it's the only thing I can do. But as long as a majority of Caps fans agree with the direction and leadership of GMGM and BB, well.....that wool wouldn't get pulled over the eyes of Bruins fans.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

zmega

I used to be 6'2" 240 and solid. I was accused of using them, but simply put I lifted heavy, ate right and had good genetics. I worked out with guys that did use them, but I was too afraid of the side effects. Plus I wasn't trying to be a competitive bodybuilder, I needed to be big and strong for my job and hockey.

I did take a steroid pack about a month ago to counteract a medication reaction. I think I gained @ 20lbs in a week (all fat), I had an appetite from hell.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

All because they believe in pixiedust(aka "grit").

Posted by: getjiggly

Lol. Still selling your pixiedust, eh?

Grit

Players talking about the need for Grit

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

We've been on the losing end of so much playoff hockey, that it is hard to explain to people why we know with certainty that this style and crew will not move far in other season. The other season with "new rules" and tight defenses. Already trying to figure out how to avoid the Pens fans at work after they torch us AGAIN !!!! God forbid we have them down 3-1 in a series AGAIN !!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Apologies in advance for posting a Flyers related clip my last post.

Type in 'NHL grit' in the youtube search, that's the first video that comes up. We had the chance to draft him too.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

@getgiggly

Check out Fletch 22's link over to the Habs series. Learn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Fletch22

No worries... I grew up hating the Flyers. Actually it was more of a jealousy until the Caps started building teams to match their toughness. I remember Berube grabbing our players and beating them into the ice (Steve Leach comes to mind). That is just one of MANY examples of the Flyers owning the Caps in the physical department. Say what you will about Poile (he was great given the budgetary restrictions under Uncle Abe) but he responded and built a team to stand toe to toe with them.

Today I admire them and the types of teams they put on the ice season after season. Their GM gets it...

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Grit = pixiedust for know-nothings.
Yeah, let's bring back Killer Kaminsky and his 3G and 10A back (in 132 games) to the Caps.

And let's can BB for having 160Wins-67 losses.

Yes, that'll fix everything!

We'll have grit!!

Posted by: getjiggly | December 13, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

getjiggly

What's BB's record when it COUNTS???

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

@getjiggly

How many "stay angry" shirts did you buy ?

Do you think this team plays angry ?

Seriously ! Give us an honest answer.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

And let's can BB for having 160Wins-67 losses.
---------------

His team is only 13-15 and lost 3 outta 4 playoff series when it matters... words such as MEDIOCRE and under-achieving come to mind.

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Grit = pixiedust for know-nothings.

And let's can BB for having 160Wins-67 losses.

Yes, that'll fix everything!

We'll have grit!!

Posted by: getjiggly

Cool, so you refused to watch the video.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

No, you're right. We need grit--the magic substance.

We can get Kypreos and Sheehy and Kastelic and Ciccone back! We'll have grit!! We'll be a dynasty--just like before!

Posted by: getjiggly | December 13, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave

Indeed. I'll always have a soft spot for Chief, he's was the last of the old guard of tough guys in the league.

I wonder what Poile could do with this team? It's amazing what he's been able to do for the Preds.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

-------------------

We'd have a better group of D, that's for sure. One thing Poile has always been able to do is find great D-men.

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

The Poti contract is a turd sandwich.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 13, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

At least they weren't QUITTERS.

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

No, you're right. We need grit--the magic substance.

Posted by: getjiggly

George, it's getting late, go home and be with your family.

Love,
Ted

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

who knew Big Buff would be a better offensive d-man than Mike Green??

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

If the Caps had a chance to acquire Vokoun and had to give up Neuvy or Varly to do so they better f'n do it. Vokoun is one of the 3 best goalies in the league. Somehow he manages to win games and put up great numbers playing for an awful team. Most importantly he can get shutouts at the Verizon Center....something Im not sure our current goalies know how to do.

And thats not to knock the two young guys, but Vokoun is a frickin stud.

Posted by: ThePat | December 13, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing bad about Poile; he put together some decent teams under Pollin's austerity plan.

But if you look at Poile's drafting--it wasn't so hot. He had a couple of decent drafts and a bunch that produced next to nothing. And some of Poile's trades? Phew! Jorgen Petterson, anyone?

Posted by: getjiggly | December 13, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

@getgiggly

We may not have won a cup, but we're not used to watching "sissy hockey".

These boys play "Sissy hockey".

You did not watch the clip !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 13, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

And some of Poile's trades? Phew! Jorgen Petterson, anyone?
--------------------

LOL how about Langway, Murphy, Ciccarelli and getting Miller and Ridley for Carpenter??

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

"She's got that cookie-baking face."

Hey Katie, I make GREAT butterscotch cookies. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 13, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

also there was no trade for Jorgen Petterson but I remember Jorgen Pattersson.

They were desperate for a LW and there were very few good scoring LWs in the NHL in those days... about the best available was John Ogrodnick and I think Poile did try to trade for him but the asking price was too high.

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getjiggly

1. Yes or No. Did you watch the clip?

2. Are you implying that GM is a good drafter? If so, can you call Fehr, Gustafsson and Mestery to confirm this?

3. Poile's done more with less with the Predator's. He's been forced to trade away some pretty good players over the years. He built the one team in this organization's history that went to the SC finals.

4. Did you watch the magic dust clip yet?

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 13, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Jorgen Pattersson = Jorgen Pettersson

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

and I don't think the Doug Jarvis for Jorgen Pettersson trade was any worse than whatever GMGM gave up for Corvo last year.

Jarvis played less than two seasons after he was shipped outta here.

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Poile's draft history was iffy at best, but I don't blame bad picks on a GM. Drafting is a team sport. You rely heavily on your scouts and let's face facts it's a crap shoot. You're picking kids that show potential, most of the 1st rounders will never stick in the NHL.

I knew Poile back in the day. Most of our talks were during intermission and before games. He was passionate about the game, his team and most importantly listened to the fans, he knew where his bread was buttered. Unfortunately he moved HOF Murphy to appease those who complained he was too soft. His deepest regret was not matching the Stevens sheet. At the time that amount of money for a D man was unheard of plus Abe had him on a short monetary leash.

He's the only GM I'm aware of that would take calls from fan between periods during every broadcast. The calls were not screened (I called once after the Mark Hunter trade) and he took his lumps. That alone speaks volumes to his balls.

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

So long as we beat the Flyers and Pens, the season is a success in my book.
Posted by: vermontcaps | December 13, 2010 7:25 PM
-------
Really? Wow.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | December 13, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Atlanta values grit so much that it even spills over to their TV commercials with the slogan "A Brutally Good Time".

Meanwhile, the Craps slogan of "Rock the Red" sound like some lame command to wear something to a party or lame self-lauding such as "We are brilliant".

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | December 13, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Dalliquippa

I'm pretty sure that was tongue in cheek... Beating rivals that have knocked us out of the post season year afer year (decade after decade) is a big deal for long term fans. As an example I don't consider Carolina a rival or most teams in the SE Division. Actually with the lack of heart/balls on this team there are no real rivalries.

We're Caps fans and want a victory every night. More importantly a sign based on the teams play that we stand a chance in a playoff series. Thus far there has been absolutely no proof they will fair any better this post season. If anything all indications point to going in the opposite direction and I'm not basing that on the slump. Even BB was unhappy with the teams performance when they were leading the league. They were winning but still showing the lack of discipline and team play that are musts in the playoffs.

Posted by: FLDave | December 14, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

i think avs fans are happy right now
3rd period - 2:24 left
flash - game tying goal
with 1:24 left
flash - game winning assist
and just for good measure
with :23 left
primary assist on an empty netter

6 gms, 2g & 5a
guess it was just BB's system that was holding him back

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 14, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

@capt...

I also noticed that on the PP, flash was stationed right in front of the goalie. had a nice tip in one of the PPs.

Posted by: natresgroup | December 14, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

I'm glad Flash is finding success in Colorado, let's see how long it lasts. So far it sure does appear Washington got the short end of the stick in that trade...

Posted by: FLDave | December 14, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

yeah - when I saw "someone" stationed in front of the hawks goal, I said that's what the caps need to do. and then lo and behold its flash parked there screening the goalie. can anyone say they saw him do that here?

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 14, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

zmega

Posted by: FLDave | December 13, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Where those anabolic steroids or Corticosteroids. All steroids make you gain weight but Corticosteroids manage to do it almost exclusively through fat and water weight while canabalizing muscle.

I was on as much as 80 mg of prednisone at one time and it was hell. Luckily I can now use more localized version of the drug so it doesn't have to go through my digestive system and most of my blood stream.

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | December 14, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

And some of Poile's trades? Phew! Jorgen Petterson, anyone?
--------------------

Posted by: joek443 | December 13, 2010 10:24 PM

If you're going to post those deals, you need to post Dino for Kevin Miller and then Kevin Miller for some no-name d-man from the Blues. And how bout I was at the draft party in 94 I think and he sends Ridley and the 16th pick to TOR for the 10th pick so he can take Nolan Bumgartner. The he robs LA of the 4th overall for Khristich but uses than pick for Volchkov. And let's not get into what we got back for Stevens.

Poile has been the Charles Dickens of GMs since 1982.

"They were the best of moves; they were the worst of moves."

Even in Nashville he gave up the #1 pick that became Varly for a rental of Brendan Witt and gave up all kinds of talent for a washed up Forsberg who couldn't even skate.

"A Tale of Two GMs."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 14, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

The combination of all of Fleischmann's positive attributes don't come close to outweighing his trendemous physical and mental softness.

Trading him for a 5th rd pick would've been an OK move simply because it would free up ice time for any other player.

Beware of small sample sizes.

Even if Hannan were to be so bad that we had to bench him, I wouldn't fault McPhee for that trade and I think McPhee is a lousy GM that should've been fired a long time ago.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 14, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

What the Caps need more of, both up front and on the blue line, are more players that are pretty much the polar opposite of Fleischmann, Schultz, etc...

We're just too soft collectively, mentally and physically. The whole team can't lean on Ovechkin and 1 or 2 other guys that play regularly with that kind of emotion and intensity.

This team could've even use 1 or 2 of the borderline nutjob/agitator types. We're just too soft and easy to play against even when we're winning games.

All that is on McPhee.

The fundamental issues with the way that we play, particularly defensively, fall on both McPhee and Boudreau's shoulders.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 14, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Look, face it, we're the St. Louis Blues of 1990. That's the be all and end all.

Hull, Oates, MacInnis, Joseph, what did it get them?

One early playoff exit after the next.

BTW, Dec 14th, my oldest daughter turns 30. I'm even OLDER than Gordie Howe when he finally quit.

Let me see if I can find my AARP card maybe I can get some discounts!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 14, 2010 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Hot goalie will make it WORSE.

I mean, Neuvy was hot at the start of the regular, Varly also had a couple of hot plays. And so what? it eventually led to a slump.

Both defence and offence are struggling and without addressing it first, any good goalie will just cheat the statistics.
Show me some 6-4, 4-3 wins, nice PP, positive takeaway-giveaway, no odd-man rushes first.
Only then it makes sense to talk about goalie. However, I'm sure, by that time Varly and Neuvy will be hot again. Because the problem is not with them.
First things first. Rebuild the D-system, PP etc.
BB, you have all the tools necessary.

Posted by: Michael01a | December 14, 2010 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Good article from PuckDaddy: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Five-reasons-Capitals-are-playing-their-worst-un?urn=nhl-295230&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Biggest thing about it, is that the Caps lack mental toughness, resolve. I agree. To get that, the Caps need a tough veteran leader and a disciplinarian coach.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | December 14, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Dirtbag359

I believe it was prednisone. I literally could not get full. As an example; one night I went to a Longhorn @ 7:30, ate a ceasar salad, 21 oz bone-in ribeye, baked potato, two of their loaves of bread and about 1/2 pound of peanuts to start out things. 11:30 I felt like I skipped dinner. I went to Wendy's and got a triple cheeseburger, large fries and a jumbo soda. I still went to bed hungry!

Posted by: FLDave | December 14, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

FLDave,

I have been on prednisone numerous times and it did the same exact thing to me. I was always hungry and gained a ton of weight each time! I also had a pretty serious problem with, what my wife called PMS while on that stuff. I was a grouchy individual for the week or so they put me on that stuff.

Posted by: PhilR | December 14, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

PhilR

That was me as well! I had a simple laminectomy surgery in March that was the worst case the surgeon had ever seen. The area was covered with calcification, nerves fused to my spine, etc. A 1/2 surgery turned into 3 hours and when I awoke they were relieved I was not paralyzed. The recovery time for a case like mine is up 18 months and at this moment I am STILL in worse pain than before the operation. SOOOO the reaction to a muscle relaxer left me in the same severe pain, itchy as a m'fuxer, hungrier than a demon and moody as hell(ready to kill anyone in my path). Thank God for my beautiful, patient wife!

Posted by: FLDave | December 14, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I was at the "game" on Sunday night and it wasn't completely Varly's fault.

It looked to me that the team gave up after the first goal was scored late in the 1st period.

Trading for a goalie won't help that. Can we trade for a new coach or a new system?

Posted by: jwash4472 | December 14, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Tom in So Cal - I was at draft party too when Ridley got traded while sitting in back signing autog, funny as h- but wasn't he traded for Rob Pearson, not a pick? I will admit I loved Pearon in Toronto, he should have become a premier power forward but I don't think ever scored a goal for us, I'll admit at the time I loved the trade. Scott Stevens - well in my opinion tied for greatest D of all time w/ BOrr and worst GM decision in our history.

Posted by: collegehockeyfan | December 14, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I am not panicking. I disagree with Feinstein's article. Fire the coach first not the players.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse