Fleischmann: 'I Felt Good' (Updated)

Tomas Fleischmann has been cleared for practice drills, but it's still unclear when he'll return to the Caps' lineup. In all likelihood, it won't be Thursday or Saturday, Coach Bruce Boudreau said.

"Tomas is still a ways away," Boudreau said. "He hasn't had a scrimmage yet. It's not like he skated with us once and he's going to play. It's a process of getting him in the best condition with the puck and battling with guys and stuff like that."

Fleischmann survived today's tough practice -- Boudreau skated his players hard for the second straight day -- but he didn't take part in the contact drills, per trainer's orders.

"I felt good," Fleischmann said. "That's a good sign."

When he does come back, Fleischmann will add depth to a lineup that already boasts a number of scoring threats. Last season, the winger notched a career-high 19 goals and 37 points.

Fleischmann's return also gives Boudreau another option when putting his lineup together since he can play left wing on the second or third line and can kill penalties.

The only question now is when will Fleischmann be back. Both he and Boudreau said it will likely be at least a week.

"We'll see what the doctors say," he said.

Update:The team has signed third-round draft pick Cody Eakin to a three-year entry level contract. In nine games with Swift Current of the WHL, the center has nine goals and three assists.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 20, 2009; 12:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fleischmann Receives Clearance
Next: Morning roundup: Flash is (almost) back

Comments

More weapons = more good. I hope Flash has some hunger to play well both ways

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | October 20, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, FLASH! :-)

Soon, soon, I will get my second home jersey. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | October 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@Katie - Here's a solution to the mug issue: get permission from the Caps, put 'em up on Cafe Press, and give the proceeds to "Hockey Fights Cancer" or another charity. :-)

I'll gladly grab a four-pack for $39.99!

Posted by: irockthered | October 20, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Just say no to Flash on the PK!

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | October 20, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Sweet - a small bleeder- just what we are missing!

repost

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 20, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

steckel, gordon, laing, laich, knuble, backs, semin should all be ahead of flash on the PK depth chart

Posted by: _stevo | October 20, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Think this will move Laich to 3rd line LW? Now we are really strong on the LW...and the RW... and C! LETS GO CAPS!!

Posted by: dsphvywght | October 20, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Seems Frolov may be on the market...how about Clark, Nylander and fehr for him?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 20, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Update:The team has signed third round draft pick Cody Eakin to a three-year entry level contract. In nine games with Swift Current of the WHL, the center has nine goals and three assists.
---------------------------------------

interesting, they sign him right after his fight and the first instigating minor of his career. Hopefully his concussions are behind him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Frolov is a bit of a malcontent...who knows. He's a $4m hit and an UFA after the season. Do we need another LW? Man, that would make a deep third line...

Posted by: saintex | October 20, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Lyle, as a big Kings fan, let me suggest 1) the Kings would have no interest in Nylander and 2) Frolov is Semin without as much talent. Total head case. They could put him and Semin on a line together and call it the "Enigma Line".

Steve, originally I was skeptical with Semin on the PK, but he hasn't been horrible.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 20, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm just looking to dump some dead weight- free up some cap room.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 20, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey

Another Kings fan and Caps fan? I'm an LA transplant and just adopted the Kings as my west coast team.... but I'm a lifelong Caps fan. Funny to see another.

Posted by: LA_caps_fan | October 20, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

- JIMALLCAPS
more good = bad english. Correction: more weapons = better. Your English lesson for the day.

Posted by: puckman | October 20, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

flash, BMo, Semin, Gordo, Backs

5 fwds who play largely a finesse game. Thats too effing many

I can't think of another NHL team, even the bad ones, who have that. Don't say Detroit. Guys like Helm, Datsyuk play with a lot of grit in their game. Certainly not Pittsburgh.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually I'd rate Semin as fairly good on the PK. His "risk vs reward" equation goes out the window because he's only trying to do one thing - steal the puck and clear the zone.

I'd rate him as the best player on the team for going one on one with a defenseman at the point and snatching the puck. He has way more talent with the stick than just about anyone the other team can put on point unless the other team puts an all-star forward. Then, if Semin does steal it, you have an odd-man break the other way.

He reminds of Jagr on the PK. For those who forget, Jagr could be very effective in that role. Mario too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say Backs is finesse. I think he's one of the best puck men out there, on both ends. In fact, I think his skills are closing on Datysuk's - no there, closing. I'd agree the rest are more finesse but I don't really care to much about that...

Posted by: saintex | October 20, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I've actually been pleasantly surprised at Backs' willingness to initiate/receive some contact. He's no Scott Stevens, but he's better than a lot of Europeans. I also don't think he'd bongo in a fight.

Posted by: hook99 | October 20, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

of that group yes, Backs has the best two way game and he displays some strength in the corners but come on, he's not a Richards or Kesler type when it comes to grit.

the point about having too many finesse forwards is that when you play in tough games and playoff series, you need as many of your players to commit to playing a 'grindier' game if you will. The more finesse players you have, the harder it is to beat teams unless you have an overwhelming skill advantage. You start playing teams with fairly equivalent talent and you'll run into trouble with an overabundance of finesse.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

forget my rep as a Semin-basher for a second. I totally disagree. As a forward who plays the PK, a large amount of responsibility occurs on the halfwall in your own end. And semin stinks at that. I think he's the worst player we have on our team on the half-wall in our defensive zone. When our defensemen are trying to clear the puck and they fire it around the boards, you need your forwards to help get that puck out and that frequently entails having to win a battle along the boards with a defenseman who is pinching in. Semin doesn't do that well. He usually loses that battle and the play continues in our zone.

To me, he is high risk and potential high reward. If he gets the puck with no one around him, he can control and kill off some time (provided he doesn't try some high risk maneuver that leads to a turnover). But usually he will not have the luxury of time and space when he's on the PK. He has to seal the boards off and help get that puck out and he's not effective in that role.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hook99 | October 20, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

when i saw some Backs pre-draft video, I kinda liked the way he played. He was quick and tenacious. I didn't see that from him at the NHL level until just this past year. And he was invisible against the Flyers series in that role aside from one hit late in the series on Mike Richards, really showed how strong Backs really is. Maybe he was intimidated, maybe he was exhausted. This past year he showed a little more playoff grit.

I don't really have any issues with Backstrom's game, for a skilled center like he is, he's no shrinking violet and I expect his game to continue and develop. If anyone remembers Sundin in his first few yrs, he wasn't the presence he became later on either. If we had a Dubinsky type on our 2nd line, then Backstrom's physicality becomes even a lesser issue.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@LA_Caps_Fan, there are about half a dozen of us that are STHs here, who I see pretty regularly at the games. Once every other year or so, we remove the red and bring the black. I'm from SoCal originally (but not L.A. proper) and have been a fan since the triple crown days. Been a Caps STH since about 2000, about 2 years after I moved here. The nice thing about the different conferences is that unless they are playing each other, there are no divided loyalties.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 20, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear things are progressing nicely for Flash. I hope he can get to play soon (well as soon as he can from LTIR).

"Sweet - a small bleeder- just what we are missing! - lylewimbledon"
Uh, didn't he have a blod clot? Isn't that the opposite of a bleeder? Yeah you may be kidding around, but I'm just sayin'.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | October 20, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

OV-Morison-Knuble
Flash-Backs-Semin
Fehr-Laich-Bradley
Laing-Stecks-Clark

I think this line up could compete with any forward lines in the NHL.

Tarik - Do you think you move Flash up to bring Laich to the third line center or is Laich too valuable on the second line?

I think with Gordo hurt and not playing well, that is the way to go. Laich is a very good faceoff guy also.

Posted by: numero94 | October 20, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Flash & Semin I would call finesse players but not the other 3.

BMo might not have a ton of grit but he gets in there, battles and wins the puck. Watch the next time he drops down to battle behind our net. He is in there working hard.

Backs is still developing his 'all around' game and he is already solid on D. He picks so many pockets it's insane.

I cannot even believe that Gordo was on that list. All he does is battle along the boards, cycle the puck and work his ass off.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 20, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@numero94 - I like those lines but would switch Brads with Clarkie.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 20, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I included Gordo on that list because

1-- for a "grinder", he chooses too often to use his stick to work a puck loose in lieu of his body (ala Steck/Brads/Laing etc)

2-- he's physically a weak player. Even when he does try to use his body, he loses that battle more often than winning it. And now with his recurring back issues, he's even less willing or able to win those battles.

I didn't mean to imply he has a high degree of skill and no grit. I really mean that he is unable to be an effective grinder for the 2 reasons I mention above.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

numero94- Fehr can go to Hershey where he belongs

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 20, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 - Ok I will accept that about Gordo. Sadly (because I like his heart and hustle) I am not seeing him fitting in with this team right now.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 20, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

don't feel too sad, it would take a miracle to get the Caps to re-sign him for next year. We have too many forwards busting out from Hershey who need to crack the team on the 3rd/4th lines - Osala, Beagle, Pinizotto and maybe even Bruess. They're all bigger, stronger, grittier and more entertaining to watch.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

Well if we know we are not going to re-sign him then lets trade him for a draft pick and bring one of those guys up.

Posted by: pkendrick | October 20, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

RE; Fantasy League

Yeah, I am sucking it hard in that league. I seem to not be too good with head to head, but I am 1st in two of my three rotisserie leagues.

Oh well.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 20, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey

Posted by: LA_caps_fan | October 20, 2009 2:58 PM |

Kings is my West team, and I disagree with his assessment about Frolov. He is a solid two-way forward who backchecks like crazy. He seems to "float" through some games, but he has more upside than down at this point.

Nylander, Clark, and Fehr would be a steal for Frolov.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 20, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm just tired of these guys taking spots that others may be better suited for- why is Chris Clark still on the team? Fehr?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 20, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

i like the idea of choosing a west coast team as a favorite. is it too poserish to choose the Ducks as a WC favorite? they're just so stacked with talent.

Posted by: hockeygood1 | October 20, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 20, 2009 5:25 PM |

Lyle, it is a conspiracy by GMGM and Ted to make you miserable. There was an email from them to all real Caps fans informing us that they were going to intentionally tank the season to make certain fans go nuts. That is also why Nyls has not been traded/exiled. It is simply a plot against you.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | October 20, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil,

I used to like Frolov a lot, but he drives me muts with his inconsistency. He got benched/scratched recently because Lombardi and Murray got sick of it too.

Because its a slow news day, let's think about this "proposed trade" from the LA point of view. Fehr and Clark are both RWs, although both can play left. That means unseating Wayne Simmonds on the third line. Wayne isn't a superstar, but he's shown pretty solid development and a mix of grit and finesse, although he's finesse than grit. Fehr is essentially a wild card with his injuries over the years, and Clark is a solid but aging vet. One of them could replace Harrold on the 4th line which could make Moller better (when he's not in the AHL), or they could be the 4th line wings, but then it becomes a question as to why bother.

The bigger problem, of course, is Nylander. The Kings have an all-star worthy first line center in Kopitar and thier own overpaid and underperorming aging center in Handzus, plus Stoll who's developing. Why would they want Nylander too? As we've discussed he's not a 4th line center, and unless he's going to unseat Stoll from the 2nd line, then its not worth it for the Kings.

Nylander gets traded (if at all) when a need opens. A key center for a contender gets hurt and is out for the season? Nylander to the rescue. I actually hope he plays Thursday in Atlanta.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 20, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Glad Flash has been cleared for practice. Good luck, Flash. Hope to see you soon.

It appears that Sasha is back (as Gordon was the only person reported to be missing from practice.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: can you back up a moment and explain to this newcomer to the CI what you mean by a "finesse" player? I appreciate your explanation and patience with this question.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 20, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

are you pulling my chain dude? I have all the patience in the world to explain myself as long as I'm not get dangled out there like an easy mark. What is CI ?

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I just read on the Alex Ovetjkin blog that Nylander is interested in playing in the KHL. His agent has even offered his services to various KHL teams. However, Moscow Dynamo is not interested in him at the present time.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

who says there's no secondary scoring in the NHL anymore... looks like the pens have plenty of that

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Unfortunately.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

FYI Gonchar broke his wrist tonight apparently according to pensblog.

Posted by: ThePat | October 20, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: Um, no, I am not pulling your chain. I know the word "finesse" in the sense of playing bridge and trying to get a queen or jack to win a trick when you're not sure where the ace or king might be, but I don't know what it means in relation to hockey.

"CI" = Caps Insider.

I am serious in wanting to know how you are using finesse--I am not out to slam anyone at any time on this board, except maybe he-who-must-not-be-named #86 bow tie bird.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 20, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

glad to hear flash is coming back.hopefully he'll add the secondary scoring that we lack.GO CAPS!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | October 20, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone cares, but it appears that Dynamo Minsk has fired Glen Hanlon:

From sport-express.ru:
"Head coach of the Minsk Dynamo Glen Hanlon did not come to the post-match press conference after the defeat on Tuesday of "Cupid" (1:4). For journalists left President Hockey Federation of Belarus Vladimir Naumov and reported that the entire coaching staff sacked, informs an official site of the club."

Posted by: tess2201 | October 20, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

dccitizen1:
i think of a finesse as a player that relys almost exclusively on their skill and not so much physical play.
the opposite would be a grinder, someone that throws their weight around, takes a hit when needed, physically digs for pucks along the boards, parks themselves in front of the net knowing they'll get crosschecked in the back with a stick, etc. etc.
finesse is pretty much an anti-grinder IMO

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 20, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

So Gonchar is now injured. How long will he be out?

In other games, Atlanta and Montreal went to overtime and are now in a shootout. Both teams seemed to have a jillion guys going to the penalty box.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Bravo, Montreal beat Atlanta in the shootout. Still one point for Atlanta. Grr!

Hope Atlanta keeps getting penalized when they play the Caps.

The Caps should certainly be psyched on Thursday. First place in the South East is at stake.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Cap'n. I assume that Cstanton1 means it that way too, but I hope he chimes in if he means something different.

So, if there are 5 "finesse" forwards on the Caps and no other NHL teams with that many finesse players (meaning there is more grit to the other teams), is the solution to get rid of finesse in favor of grit/grinder? I kind of like the idea of having 4 lines with at least one finesse player on each line and maybe a spare "finesse" player in case one goes on the IR list. Or is the solution to get the finesse players to break habits and throw a body here and there? Just wondering.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 20, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201

With Hanlon fired by Minsk Dynamo, guess that means they won't take on Nylander. We all recall how he fit so much better with Hanlon's system than with Boudreau's system.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Bad day in sports. Penguins won. Yankees are winning by a sizable margin for the ALCS in baseball.

Please, oh please someone stop the Penguins and the Yankees. On the baseball front, go Phillies! As for the Pens, I think it would be funny if they did an imitation of the San Jose Sharks of 2008-2009, win the President's trophy and then lose in Round 1 of the Playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned, the Axis of Evil in team sports is the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Yankees, and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I hate the yankees too but at least their fans don't need any gimmicks like those annoying thunder sticks or rally monkeys to make noise... that's just wrong and pathetic

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

dccitizen1:
usually the 4th line won't have any finesse players. they provide energy and spend time trying to shut down the opponents other top lines. last games 4th line was laing/steckel/bradley - steckel and bradley do possess some skill and have at times scored - but will never be considered anything like backstrom/semin.
most of the time when you're looking for line combo's its about chemistry and not solely the style.
'spare' players don't always fit in when someone sits out with an injury. that is what most of the discussion on playing nyls is about. if he is not centering one of the top two lines - he really doesn't meet the needs of a wing or the 3rd or 4th lines. when gordon was out they called on aucoin as the best fit to replace him and not just the 'best' guy in hershey.
enjoy watching the caps - hockey is a unique sport - you'll pick up the finer points of the team/game in no time.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 20, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Eh the yankees probably just bought all the free agent loud fans from other teams along with everything else.

Posted by: trunkenmath | October 20, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

the yanks spend all that money on FAs but the core of the all the championship teams has been pretty much the same since they started this run in mid-1990's.. Jeter, Posada and Rivera... and they do have a lot of home-grown talent on the team

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@trunkenmath

Yankees buying all the Free Agent Loud fans! The Yankees attract the front runners as fans.

THe Yankees were very successful in buying free agents this year. Too many years like this and they'll be arguing to have a salary cap. (It almost does seem that adding more teams to the playoff picture makes it harder for the "best" team to win and is a break for "small marker" clubs.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

If I remember correctly, the Angels came up with the rally monkey after they had so many problems going "deep" in the playoffs that it had become a monkey on their back. And, finally one year, they had shaken the monkey off their back and made it to the World Series, beating the Yankees on the way there.

The Yankees annoy me more than rally monkeys and thunder sticks; etc.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 20, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I just can't stand those sticks.. they're the worst imports from asia ever!!!

I do believe that the yankees are the evil empire in sports but I love Derek Jeter... he just does so many things to help you win, such an unselfish player

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm always biased towards that type of players in all sports... unselfish players who care a lot more about winning than personal stats even if they may not be great at one particular thing.

I'd take Jeter over A-Rod any day.

Posted by: joek443 | October 20, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

My thought about Flash is will he pick up where he left off... which was not contributing. Him and Green, even. Hell, even Fehr has sucked thus far. We have no 3rd or 4th line... hoping that will change soon. Oh, and the D and forwards learning to play D will apparently just have to learn.

Posted by: UngaBunga | October 20, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

edit~~~ have to wait, that is.

Posted by: UngaBunga | October 20, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I included Gordo on that list because

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 20, 2009 4:49 PM

But that doesn't mean Gordo is a finesse player. Perhaps you should explain what you mean by a finesse player. You appear to be contradicting yourself.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 20, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

From way earlier post today:

Jagr on the PK - I remember! (And if I weren't laughing, I'd be cryin').

Posted by: CAP-lanta | October 21, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Cap't Kirk, for the explanation and the encouragement.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 21, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

cstanton: I will watch for Semin on PK on the half wall. For now we disagree as I think he does the PK well.

The ultimate "finesse" forward was Gretzky. A perfect example of the polar opposite, a pure grinder, might be Dale Hunter. One guy relied solely on skill and the other guy relied mostly on grit. Gretzky never hit anyone because he didn't like to and didn't need to. Hunter only stayed in the league because of his grit. A perfect hockey team has all types of players, so you need both I think. Just not too much of one at the expense of the other is the point. A team full of ballet dancers will get hammered and a team full of muckers won't score enough to win.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 21, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Gretzky = finesse/skill
Forsberg = grit/skill

Better example.

Posted by: JSchon | October 21, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Gordon never took penalties last year and was a top defender...

He is off to a bad start, but I think he can be a real asset at a low price.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 21, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

The Gordons of the hockey world are a dime a dozen.

Posted by: JSchon | October 21, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

it was confirmed today in russian media that

1) Nylander's agent made a call to Dynamo (Moscow) at monday and offered Nyls to them

2) agent/Nyls were agreed to make a try-out contract for a month if required

the source is the scouting department manager of Dynamo

anything more?

Posted by: Rambutan_ru | October 21, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1:
1) I disagree with your disagreeing about Semin's effectiveness on the PK, uh well sort of. Is one of Semin's strengths battling for puck possession on the half wall? No, as you point out it isn't. But, if I know that and you know that do you think BB doesn't know that? And yet he puts him out there on the PK. Why? Because for PPs that emphasize point play he can be very effective because, as tominfl1 points out, of his ability to pick off passes and go the other way or chew up time.

@dccitizen1
Please excuse defensive and/or flippent answers to your questions. Sometimes people attack other people here which understandably leads to some people being defensive at times. Some people are just flippent. Some of us realize you're new to hockey and are trying to learn and we welcome that and will continue to answer your questions as best we can. Your question is valid and I want to encourage you to continue to ask questions. The game will become more fun for you to watch the more you understand.

Finesse players use creative skating and stick handling in order to find ways to create scoring chances and be effective. They rarely play physically. Physical players utilitize a lot of body contact and finish their checks. These players are often referred to as gritty players. Some players can do both. For example, on our favorite team Alex Ovechkin can skate around people (finesse) or he can skate through people (physical) to create opportunities. AO often finishes his checks (physical). An example of a finesse player on our favorite team would be Alexander Semin. He rarely if ever finishes his checks.

If this doesn't answer your question fully or if you need more clarifications please ask.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | October 21, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Dynamo is not interested in Nylander

From Sport-Express, Oct. 21, 2009:

Washington Capitals forward Michael Nylander wants to continue his career in the KHL. According to Sport-Express his party is interested in the employment of the hockey player in one of the elite clubs in KHL, including Locomotive [Yaroslavl] and Moscow Dynamo. During the lockout Nylander has already played in Russia for Ak Bars [Kazan], and some time ago his brother Peter played for Amur [Khabarovsk], recalls SE correspondent Alexander Shapiro.

Rashid Khabibullin, Dynamo's selection manager:

Nylander's agent Paul Theofanous did call us on Monday and offered the services of his ward. And he was ready to even postpone the signing of the contract and offered to take Nylander for a monthly tryout.

As far as I know we were not the first in Russia who were offered to look at the veteran; this player has been trying to move to the KHL for the third month already. But Dynamo decided that they don't need the Swede. We doubt that the hockey player who missed almost all of the last season, could become of real value for the team.

Source: news.sport-express.ru/2009-10-21/327246/

oh well, at least he's looking...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 21, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

@BetterOffWithFederov: thanks so much. I think that most of the people who post on this board are interesting and present well reasoned thoughts/opinions even when they disagree with each other. Once in a while there are some crabby people who are downright unhappy with the Caps and lash out, but sometimes it's a matter of things not translating well to the printed version. Much of human communication is done through facial expressions, tone of voice and body language. All of that information is missing in print. So, if I say, "What are you? An idiot?" in face to face communication, I can temper it with a facial expression and tone that makes it come off as levity. But in print, well, it's pretty offensive! People would be wise to realize the limits of text on message boards.

Anyway, I have followed hockey in the past, but not with much knowledge of what I am looking for. That has gotten better since my son started playing hockey nine years ago, and when I was recovering from surgery last year and house bound and glued to the tv set whenever the Caps were on. I really appreciate all efforts to help me (and others) understand the discussions on the board.

Now, for a new name for you since Feds went to Russia: LetsWinWithOvechkin? Just a suggestion!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 21, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse