Fleischmann Looks to Get Back on Track

In tomorrow's paper, Tarik examines the recent offensive struggles of winger Tomas Fleischmann, who hasn't notched a point all month.

Here's an early look:

Tomas Fleischmann was the pleasant surprise of the season's first half, notching 15 goals in his first 36 games despite a bout with pneumonia. These days, the Washington Capitals winger is still making people take notice -- but for all the wrong reasons.
Fleischmann has gone 11 games without registering a point and has scored only two goals in the past 29 games. His pointless stretch is the longest among the team's healthy forwards and is emblematic of the team's dearth of secondary scoring over the past month, which has become a source of concern as the playoffs approach.

Click here to read the full story, and for more on the Caps, check out Tarik on Washington Post Live at 5 p.m.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 23, 2009; 4:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blog Maintenance: Comment Outage
Next: Laing Returns Home

Comments

Yes, we need Flash to pick it up. He's been darn close.

Posted by: cbs75 | March 23, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Reposting:

Question for those who sometime attend practice:

I haven't visited Kettler since way back in training camp, but am going to be in the area this weekend. I see on the schedule that Sat morning practice is listed at 11 am. How crowded does a Sat practice get? And how early do you think we should plan to get there? Also is there access to the players after practice? Hoping to get my Fedorov jersey signed...

Posted by: tess2201 | March 23, 2009 4:22 PM |

Posted by: tess2201 | March 23, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

BB could be giving the same advice to most all his forwards, who seem to treat the crease like Kryptonite.

Since they have lots of practice time the next week, maybe they could borrow some Flyers jerseys, and all pretend to be Scotty Hartnell (except for his sleazy penalties) and Mike Knuble. Knuble, in particular, is one of the cleanest players but just loves to get dirty goals (24 I think for the season) by hanging out and harrassing goalies in the crease. The Caps can also a LOT better in the backchecking department -- especially Ovie.

If they can just add some grittiness to their considerable skills, they can finish strong and go deep.

Posted by: bucknelldad | March 23, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Reposting:

I know we need secondary scoring, but I was even more concerned that the Alexes were unable to score against the Canes last game. Why are even our best scorers so often stymied by mediocre or even good goalies?

Posted by: caraveli | March 23, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

8 > StanleyCup1907
28 > StanleyCup1907
52 > StanleyCup1907
91 > StanleyCup1907
55 > StanleyCup1907
92 > StanleyCup1907
26 > StanleyCup1907
14 > StanleyCup1907

etc.,

etc.

The (movie) Mighty Ducks > StanleyCup1907...(and that's when they were known as "District 5")

You get the idea.

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 23, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I know that this is very off topic, but I was thinking that it would absolutely hilarious if when Alex Ovechkin scores his next goal, he skates around and shakes the hand of every other teammate that is on the ice with him. Instead of jumping around and looking happy, he just calmly takes off his glove and shakes hands politely. This would be his last scripted celebration because after that he should just go back to doing what he always does. It would be even better if the rest of the team would do the same thing if any of them score. Just a thought. It would be kind of an F' you to Don Cherry and Co.

Posted by: MeatSweats | March 23, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Flash Gordon.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 23, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

tess, Saturday practices do get crowded. But you can usually still find a place to sit or stand if you arrive before it starts.

Check the Caps' website beforehand just to make sure practice isn't cancelled or moved earlier.

I've never tried for autographs, but it's theoretically possible. Hopefully someone else has advice on where you should position yourself.

Posted by: jen-s | March 23, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay:

How about a link to the hour long talks on the left in one of the boxes? The link could go to the live talk, or the transcript.

Also, while the objectives of getting the "word out" is important to the Post for revenue reasons, shouldn't the "Share This" and Previous/Next" lines be swapped? I think the threads get lost this way.

Finally, those of us with failing eyesight would appreciate the ability to increase the font size like they do on TSN or THN.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 23, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.: I'm in the process of adding a few links on the left there, and your idea for linking the chats is a great one -- thanks!

As far as the font size goes, CTRL+ or CTRL- should do the trick.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | March 23, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the next time anyone on the Caps scores, they skate to the bench and eat a Cherry

Posted by: Leeguru | March 23, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Rhino ???? what are you talking about?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Yes Lee this is what OV has his team concerned with. Getting back at Cherry

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm saying quit bad-mouthing our team. A

And that's all.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 23, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Finally SC1907 understands!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 23, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

sc1907, yup you couldn't be more right, it all comes back to busting Cherry's chops.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 23, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

the A stands for @$$#@+

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 23, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Since we're making suggestions... :)

Could that line under our postings be raised up to be right under the "Posted By:" ?
That extra space eats up screen space where we often are reading through 100 to 300 comments (or more for this years playoffs)

Just a suggestion.
Thx

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru and SC

That's funny! For entirely different reasons.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 23, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Rhino Dont use my lines !

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Cant u come up with your own!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Rhino Dont use my lines !

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Cant u come up with your own!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding! coudln't agreee more!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 23, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru: Haha, I like that suggestion a lot, even if you were kidding. Eat a cherry! austinsteve, I agree, but hopefully there will be 500 comments on playoff gamedays.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 23, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I dont like this new look at all. I dont like the oversized add on the right, I dont like the dotted lines, I dont like the smaller font type, and I dont like clicking on cntrl +/-; it makes the whole pages font change, and that might be good for 65 year olds but not for those younger. George is getting upset...

Posted by: oo7 | March 23, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I do like the report abuse feature, as it means there are a few who are short timers here.

Posted by: oo7 | March 23, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, I'm not kidding. I think everyone (especially Millbury yesterday) is making too much of a big deal out of this. If you don't want him to celebrate, don't let him score! No one complained on saturday!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 23, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

And I do like the thoughtful work being done. Thanks Lindsay and wash post staff. Thoughtfulness is always appreciated.

Posted by: oo7 | March 23, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru, that would be hilarious! Cherry would go crazy!

BTW, just nitpicking but does the space to the right of Capitals Insider look extremely blank... I don't recall it being that way before... not to make Lindsay feel bad but I kinda liked it the way before... I'm looking at it now and it makes me sad... I like the old layout better.. oh well maybe I need to get used to it. I miss the old one.. this is too much to the left..

Posted by: rachel216 | March 23, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like having more flu ridden guys. But better now than in the playoffs. (Yes, they will make it.)

I assume Semin and Bradley must have gotten the flu from Fedorov and Green. (Well, they all were on the plane together while Fedorov was sick on the road trip and planes are great places for catching stuff.)

Yes, my source who told me Semin was ill (flu) was correct (even though it was rumored that he was injured.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

How about more color on the page..it seems so plain..

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | March 23, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Rhino Dont use my lines !

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Cant u come up with your own!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, rhino, stop using his words! Can't u come up with your own! You're not allowed to use English and proper grammar! *snicker*

SC1907 hearts Alexander Semin 4-evr.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Tarik's big head is what's making the right side of the page all blank. I kid.

Posted by: visionof75 | March 23, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@rachel, I thought the seemingly random location of the comments was a bit odd, but when you page up to the top and see there's a sort of frame or banner on the left-hand side up there it makes my little brain happier about the layout.

I personally can see myself getting used to that.

I will need therapy for the nightmares I will have of Tarik's giant head smiling at me through my window at night though.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

can someone interpret for me what Bruce was really saying he wanted Flash to do? Its confusing the way it was written. I know he said he didn't obviously expect him to "fight" and that he wanted him to not be so dainty around the goal crease...but did he also say he didn't expect him to be physical or hit anyone or was he saying he wanted him to do those things?

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 23, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

anyone have the game links?

Posted by: CapsSkins | March 23, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

we need a big win by the flyers and panthers tonight...Riley Cote just did his best greco-roman wrestling impression on a devil

Posted by: Moose33 | March 23, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

anybody heard from that looossseeerrr CHEEF?

Posted by: Squigsfan83 | March 23, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

For anyone fortunate enough to have Center Ice or Game Center Live, there is actually coverage from tonight's Carolina-Florida game. It's pretty much just in-house footage, doesn't seem to be any commercials... pretty strange. Kinda reminds me of watching the away Caps preseason games online, except this is sorta an important regular season game.

And of course the NJ-Philly game on Versus.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 23, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: I hope Semin just has the flu. My son was down in FLA on spring break and was able to go down and watch the Caps get on the bus because he plays mens league with an NHL linesman here in MD and he got them backstage access so to speak. He said that Semin was visibly limping on the way to the bus.

One other thing he mentioned was that OV, being the bad role model he is, stopped and signed the inside of a little kid's jersey that was yelling I want your autograph OV. The little kid was wearing a Panther jersey.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Cool GregAnnapolis!

I got it on center ice.
You randonly wistfully looking for hockey to stumble on unannounced footage?

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

For a small fee ($10 a month), hockey streams is another great resource to catch all games (even archived ones)

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 23, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

They need more games on Versus and stuff... all this basketball is killing me! I'd rather watch NJ/Phi or CAR/FLA! Need some hockey.. this 2 games in 10 days thing is really gonna kill me... but it's good for the team, so I can't complain. Can't wait to turn it up a notch come playoff time, it's gonna be so exciting!!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 23, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

GregAnnapolis:
I remember the "amateurish" feed on those games ... kinda funny but I was still thrilled to have it!! :-)

fanohock1:
Ovi signed a Panthers jersey?!? He rocks.

Posted by: Boo- | March 23, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve: Nah, I was just looking at scores on NHL.com and happened to notice the announcement on the right sidebar. :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 23, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Oooh Philly scored! :) Go Flyers! EWWW...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 23, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Watching this Flyer/Devils game is kind of ticking me off. I say that because the Caps seem to get called for every little tic tac hook/slash/altercation, and just a minute a go Langenbruner and Timomen were elbowing, puching, pushing, and ignoring the puck with no calls. I'm absolutely fine with that, but I wish the Caps could get whistles put away when they play too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Boo: It is *very* strange watching one for a regular season game.

Florida scores; Bouwmeester from Stillman. The radio guy went ballistic. 1-0 FLA with 11 min left in the 1st.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 23, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Boo-: Yup, my son said the boy flipped his jersey up and OV signd it on the inside. I guess that makes him a closet OV fan.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

The refs try to make the Caps lose and help the other team win. I'm convinced. So every night we will need to beat the team & the refs. Why do the refs hate us??!!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 23, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

PPG by Ruutu; CAR-FLA is 1-1 with about 6 minutes left in the 1st.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 23, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Do any of you all think that a reputation for taking PIMs begins to feed on itself within the NHL officiating ranks? Figure they hear/see our boys taking lots of PIMs and when they ref our game start 'looking' for calls that aren't there? Just a theory.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 23, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

OH yay!! it is on VS! Yes! maybe i should of checked. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 23, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 23, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

i'm not a fan of complaining about the refs or consipiracy theories about how they hate us. i dont think refs look at teams and say they take alot of penalties so i need to watch out for them. i do think they consider players and reputations when calling games. i think brash and his ilk probably get called for more marginal calls than more skilled players due to their reputations. some of that may be justified in that they may want to keep a lid on the rough stuff, but alot is just bs.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 23, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@Lindsay

Can you change the order of the posts so that the name comes first followed by their post? Knowing who posts a message adds context. When I read, I go straight to the identity first and then read the post.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 23, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

PHI 2 - NJ 1

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 23, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

knuble score 2-1

Posted by: rachel216 | March 23, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Apparently in Florida, they play musical chairs during intermission rather than have mites on ice. :\

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 23, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey all,

I'm taking note of every suggestion and adding it to a list.

Much of this stuff is out of my control right now because I didn't design the template, but I'll ask the people who did about some of these concerns.

Thanks!

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | March 23, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it but I hope Philly wins tonight so we can get back our second place in the Eastern Conference

Posted by: caraveli | March 23, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay, I know you probably have no pull on this one but whomever inputs the stats on the WAPO scoreboard during hockey games really needs to indicate which team got a too many men on the ice penalty.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | March 23, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice goal by NJ. One guy on each post and another in the high slot (Langenbrunner), and he buried it. That's the grit the Caps need to display in front of the net. They need to be like starving dogs on a rare piece of steak.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

For fanohock1, if your son saw Semin limping onto the bus, that doesn't sound good. Which game did he watch in Fla? The one against the Panthers or the one against Tampa? And to think that Semin played nearly to the end of the Carolina game.

I'm sure Semin's not feeling too good at the moment, if he's got injuries as well as the flu.

And, BTW, there's nothing like a Semin injury to bring out all the trolls on this board, like StanleyCup1907.

Glad Ovi signed the inside of a little kid's Panthers' jersey.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

What you said!! (re: Caps presence in front of net)

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 23, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1- agreed. Net presence makes a huge difference doesn't it. You have to be there before the goalie can adjust, rather than come in late. Also, you have to lift up the puck rather than send it into the pads. If I was coach, I would have Semin and green giving a clinic for 10-15 minutes every practice.

Posted by: oo7 | March 23, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I dont know about you guys, but every time I see a stanleycup07 post, I'm hitting 'report abuse'.

Posted by: oo7 | March 23, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Who's everyone rooting for today the hockey games? At the moment, I'm rooting for Florida since they're behind Carolina. I'll be rooting against Carolina until they're eliminated from 1st place.

I know this is mean but I'm annoyed enough with Carolina to hope that Semin has passed on his flu to them (when involved in the scrape with Gleeson).

As for New Jersey against Philadelphia, a plague on both your houses. In Stanley Cup rooting action, I've decided that the only team in the Top 6 of the Eastern Conference, besides the Caps, that I can tolerate is Boston. Can't stand NJ, Philthy, Pitt, and Carolina and would root for the winner of the Western Conference against any one of those.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: That was after the game against the Panthers. Which means he played in Tampa and Carolina. That means he played through a nagging injury. Hmmm, SC1907's accusation that he doesn't play hurt doesn't hold much water now.

I played hockey growing up, and my boys both play hockey. These guys will limp to the rink to play, and barely show signs of it on skates and then limp back out. These superstars in the NHL are no different. They didn't get where they are by playing half-hearted. I guarantee they are not happy at all when the Doc's recommendation is that they should not play. I challenge anyone calling a pro hockey player a wimp to strap on skates and take a typical check. These guys are tough as nails and more upset than we are when they cannot play in a game. They are living a dream, and living a dream isn't being on an NHL roster, it's playing in the NHL.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

oo7

wouldnt that be abusing the 'report abuse' button?
just because SC07 disagrees with the majority of posters here?

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | March 23, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

The only team I don't mind winning right now is Florida. Someone better take two darn points in regulation from this friggin' NJ/PHILLY game. I'm tired of the 3 point games. I can't even look at myself in the mirror if I cheer for Philly even though it would be nice for NJ to drop another one. Carolina is moving up there on the hatred scale for me with Pitt and Philly. They took a huge leap when Cole came back. If our Caps don't get to the SC finals I would like to see the Sharks do it. I have like JR because I grew up in Chicago and have always followed him. Only disliked him when he was a Flyer. I don't want to see the Hawks win in though because Huet bagged on us.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

@GregAnnapolis

It's not quite the type of wild feed like some of us used to get like on my parents Return of the Jedi Endor Satellite dish. They put logo's up during breaks and don't say what they really think. They're silent actually eh?

Maybe that's just life in today's wild feed land.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

For fanohock1, with Semin playing through a nagging injury, no wonder he was having trouble finishing his scoring chances. I think he's much tougher than anyone gives him credit for(especially StanleyCup1907 and some of the other trolls on this board).

This was the guy that Boston high sticked in the face in late Jan (and they were tending to him on the bench). He couldn't play on the resulting power play (since they were treating him) but was back for the next shift. Not to mention, the fight against Staal happened the VERY day he came back from an injury.

Yes, I am VERY annoyed at all the people who think Semin is not tough enough. You're right on, fanohock.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

New thread with Laing info.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

rdy4all2000: I dont think thats abusing the button. Notice I didnt say 'puckguru'. He disagrees with everyone here as well, but he's a Caps fan. Among us, we may disagree. He's not wrong when ever he speaks, he's just not a conscientious communicator. SC07 is a troll. He's just here to talk smack. He's an internet avery, without the looks, money, talent or hope. His being here is akin to cancer; it just flat out must be removed.

Posted by: oo7 | March 23, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

To fanohock, Carolina moved up in my hatred more than just a little bit this weekend. Between getting Cole back and the fact that their guys were making runs at our guys....

Go Florida!!! At least tonight. Florida is currently on the power play.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

5-3 pp panthers...

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

brind'amour in the box

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

stillman ties it up

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

FLA just tied it up at 2 with 3 min to go

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 23, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

OT :)

Carolina's gonna be tired. After the pp the panthers owned the carolina zone for a solid minute with some long passes that really worked em hard

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

CAR wins :(in OT

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 23, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

not a great game winner by carolina, slow goalie getting over on a longish shot.

Ok, that's it for the play-by-play :)

Posted by: austinsteve | March 23, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse