Fleischmann named to Czech Republic's roster

(John McDonnell/The Washinton Post)

It's no surprise to anyone who's seen Tomas Fleischmann play this year that the 25-year-old Caps forward will represent his country in Vancouver:

When the Czechs take the ice in Vancouver, opposing nations will want to pay strict attention to the team's forwards, who are one of the most talented contingents among hockey's elite at the 2010 Winter Olympics.
The Czech Republic announced its provisional roster Wednesday, and not surprisingly, there is considerable firepower on its way to Vancouver.
New Jersey's Patrik Elias, Washington's Tomas Fleischmann, Minnesota's Martin Havlat, Montreal's Tomas Plekanec, Nashville's Martin Erat, Ottawa's Milan Michalek and Boston's David Krejci all have shown the ability to score at the NHL level.
They will be joined in Vancouver by another winger who has shown the ability to score the odd goal or two, Jaromir Jagr, who now plays for Avangard Omsk in the KHL, but starred in the NHL from 1990 to 2008.

More at NHL.com. Team Canada announcement coming at noon, so stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 30, 2009; 9:32 AM ET
 | Tags: Olympics, Tomas Fleischmann
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Chimera set to debut
Next: Mike Green left off Team Canada's roster

Comments

Prediction: No love for Greenbean from the Canadian Olympic Team. He gets panned for lazy passes and lack of focus (at times he is the best player on the ice and also the worst player, Canada has plenty of very, very reliable defensemen, he gets picked next time for sure, when he finally fills his shoes)

Posted by: WhyGo | December 30, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@whygo,

I have to agree with you that Green will not make the cut..

Congrats to Flash...let's celebrate with your first Hat Trick tonight

Posted by: opus1m | December 30, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Flash! Hope he does well!!!

My Olympic teams are now officially:

1) USA!
2) Russia
3) Czech Republic
4) Mike Green (if he makes the team)
5) Anybody playing AGAINST Team Canada.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

if Green doesn't make team Canada, he can always try out for team Jamaica

Posted by: callingallcars | December 30, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Flash! Hope he does well!!!

My Olympic teams are now officially:

1) USA!
2) Russia
3) Czech Republic
4) Mike Green (if he makes the team)
5) Anybody playing AGAINST Team Canada.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

AMEN! Although I'll probably add Sweden to support Backs :) Love that you too refuse to root for Canada except for Green!

Posted by: mrszilla | December 30, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@mrszilla - I think the vast majority of American hockey fans are sick of Canada's "hockier than thou" attitude... and the vast majority of Caps fans wouldn't cheer for a team with Crosby on it if it was the last team on earth...

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Flash, never in doubt. It will be unbelieveable to me if Greenie doesn't get picked later.

Btw, the ColonelBagpuss that commented on the previous thread, are you the same Colonel from the BBC's 606 site? If so, and I can't believe there are two, welcome to CI. I occasionally post on 606 under the name And-derr-son.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 30, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm told there are still some wayward fans bashing Schultz, presumably because he chooses to play defense with reach and position in lieu of "hittin people like Scott Stevens used to".

Well to all the Schultz bashers I present to you some statistics courtesy of Japers Rink.

Among Caps blueliners, Jeff Schultz is
3rd in quality of competition
3rd in points per 60 minutes
2nd in goals for per 60 minutes
2nd in goals against per 60 (but plays MUCH tougher competition than Erskine who is first)
1st in +/- per 60 minutes
1st in Corsi rating (number of team shots taken vs number of opponents shots taken)
2nd in penalties drawn vs penalties taken

Please stop the insanity. Schultz is a damn good hockey player, and is young and getting better.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 30, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

A Dave sighting!!!

How's the bowling game coming?

@jmurray

No need to apologize. I've only done it once here, I almost immediately regretted it.

Do I think we need to get better defensively? Yes.

Trading Schultz isn't how we're gonna do it though.

Poti is a bum. Erskine looks serviceable paired up with Alzner, but he has glimpses of ineptitude still.

I can't wait to hear that we traded Tom Poti for a roast beef sandwich.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - Come now. Poti's worth at least a roast beef sandwich with fries, now, isn't he???

Ø /sarcasm Ø

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I think that there is a sane middle ground on Schultz. He is effective, as has been repeatedly pointed out. But having just watched him at VC against the Devils, he needs to work on his skating. I recommend whoever the power skating coach is who worked with Jurcina. When Juice came do DC, he was no faster than Schultz. Now, I would say he is average for a NHL d-man, a tremendous improvement. And Schultz can certainly work on adding a physical aspect to his game, not to be a Scott Stevens clone, but just to have a bit of edge to his game.

Posted by: zmega | December 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy - Hey!!! How are you? We haven't seen you over here too often lately! :-)

Stick around! It should be amusing today. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey JSchon,

When I hear its kicking off on here I always like to take a look.

My bowling sucks big time, maybe I should switch to leftie with a brace on my right arm - I hear that works for some people.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 30, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

If we can get fries too... GMGM would be executive of the year...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Man those are some scary good teams lining up for the Olympics! I wonder what will go through OV's mind when he has a chance to line up Flash, Backs or Green? Of course I am assuming he can actually catch them. Not to mention Juice is out there too. I know a few don't like NHLers in the Olympics but I love how every game is like round 1 playoff games - Super Intense, Fast & Fiesty!

Posted by: Iceman10 | December 30, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Hooray Flash!! But why didn't Neuvy make it?! Just kidding. ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | December 30, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@ irock From last thread: yep - same handle @Japers' :)

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

1 hour 6 minutes until Team Canada is announced. I hope Greenie gets named, he's better than Boyle.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered

cold fries

Posted by: WCAPS1 | December 30, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Tomas Fleischman sucks.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHA! I swear, I'm just kidding!

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Who would be the one to eat this roast beef sandwich?

Boudreau?

He looks like he's had one or two before.

Does it have swiss cheese?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

After watching several Canadian broadcast games they have talked about how Green has tried to become more reliable in his own end. Too little, too late, Green is too much of a liability. .

Posted by: FLDave | December 30, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

BTW, there is a very good game tonight.

I like the Boudreau lines for this game for one reason.

So it isnt a Heatley/Thornton/Marleau vs Ovi/Backs/Semin thing.

You know that San Jose would try to stop that line with matchups, now there is no matchup to be had.

Spread it out and double shift guys to create opportunities.

BTW, how fast does the 2nd line look? Chimera/Backs/Semin?

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave

You're probably right. But just like the Worlds, Green only played on the PP, hardly any even up play at all. He was the 2nd leading scorer in tournament on the blueline behind Keith.

Green and Boyle would only play on the PP at the Olympics.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Yzerman will definitely look at the results of the Worlds to partly make his decision on who they select.

And its undeniable that Green had a great showing at the Worlds.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

FLDave: If Green is such a liability, why did Boudreau put him out there 30 minutes last game? And in all situations.

Maybe you know better than the coach?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,

I believe there is too much pressure from the hockey "experts" and that will play against Green's chances. They are convinced they have enough firepower on the blueline without Green.

Posted by: FLDave | December 30, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@zmega - no doubt Schultz still has room for improvement, but my only point is he's a heck of a lot better than a lot of people who frequent this blog give him credit for. His biggest problem is when he screws up, it is awkward and extremely noticeable, but when he does his job well it seems routine.

@IRTR - haha, thanks... I still read Tarik's updates but couldn't handle all the knee-jerk, ill informed, borderline crazy comments that started becoming the norm here late last year around playoff time.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 30, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I looked on the Bears and Stingrays sites for Joe Finley, but he's not listed anywhere. On the Caps site, in the system, he has no stats or notes. Is he hurt? Anyone? Am I remembering correctly that he had a concussion or something?

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl

I'm hoping the roast beef sandwich has swiss and is the size of a Cadillac Coupe DeVille...

Bring your own plate, only non-Schultz bashers will be allowed to dine...

And since I have been on the Anti-Poti soapbox the longest, I get firsts.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

tominfl1,

Please re-read what I wrote...

Posted by: FLDave | December 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I hope Green makes it - the last thing we need is a pouty Green - remember last year when his girlfriend dumped him...not good!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm... A Joe Finley disappearing act? Who would've guessed?

I kid.

I have no idea where he is.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon,

Green led the league in points by a D man. I hope he gets dumped twice this season!

Posted by: FLDave | December 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: OK, if you are getting firsts on the sandwich, does that mean the rest of us are getting sloppy seconds?

FLDave: My bad. The eye doctor told me yesterday I have optic nerve damage and must go for advanced glaucoma testing. Obviously I'm already losing my sight. So, it's the "Canadian experts" who think they know better than Boudreau. The answer comes soon enough.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Finley with the Stingrays? Is he injured?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | December 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Only one person can get sloppy seconds? Right?

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Repost from previous thread:
@cstanton: Good call on the Chimera second line thing.

However, I don't know about this hitting thing you've been going on about for days (I'm just now getting caught up).

I did a little research on NHL hits. Of the top 10 teams with the most hits 4 would make the playoffs if the season ended today (PIT, OTT, BOS, LAK). The other 6 teams wouldn't (CAR, DAL, NYR, ANA, DET, and CBJ). Arguably, some of those teams will end up making the playoffs.

Then I took a look at the bottom 10 teams (i.e. teams with the fewest amount of hits). Of those teams 8 would make the playoffs if the season ended today (MTL, WSH, NJD, COL, NSH, VAN, ATL, BUF). The other 2 teams wouldn't (PHI, EDM). OBTW, of the 8 teams that would make the playoffs 4 are division leaders.

So, it looks to me like the norm is that hitting does not equate to success. I want success, I don't care how they do it.

BTW, here is the link where I got my info:

It's from NHL.com so I assume it to be correct.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

tominfl1,

An elitist hockey group putting together an elitist team… Just the other night PJ Stock was carrying on about how Ovechkin ‘almost’ finally got cut in half when he crossed the blue line with his head down. I won’t go so far as to compare them to the Nazi’s, but I hope their Olympic team suffers the same fate.

Posted by: FLDave | December 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Terrible Thirds...

F'ed Up Fourths...

Filthy Fifths...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Not sure. Ask Tiger.

Posted by: WCAPS1 | December 30, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

DevilsCGal: I hear Sears is having a post-Christmas sale on lawnmowers. Maybe you'll find Finley there.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Damn Canucks, eh?

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

From Bull Durham...

"Sears sucks, Crash. Boy, I worked there once. Sold Ladies Kenmores. Nasty, whoa, nasty."

Posted by: FLDave | December 30, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods... Dude... Get another PHONE!!! Tiger Woods needs to be in the Doofus Brigade.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Only one person can get sloppy seconds? Right?

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:30 AM

You know, I don't know the answer to that question. I just asked mrstominfl1, in relation to dinner, when you've already had seconds, and now you eat even more. She said, "More seconds."

In a Sean Avery relation though, it would be "sloppier seconds."

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Does any one have any idea what number Fleischmann will wear for the Czech Team?

I understand that he wore 43 at the 2008 Worlds (which is waht he was wearing for Das Capitals then). Is he going to switch to 14 for the Czech team now?

I'm trying to figure out what number he'll wear so I can buy my wife a Czech sweater / jersey ...

Posted by: Billfrom417 | December 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

It will be interesting if Greenie or Doughty makes the team and the other doesn't given that they play on Saturday. Two highly talented young defensemen who might be outside looking in, at least this time. They should book 2014, though.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 30, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Tiger was trying to save the $50 a separate phone plan would cost.

Penny wise, pound follish.

Or did he not think she could go online and find every phone call made under the plan?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

So you can have multiple seconds according to mrstominfl?

I will defer since I am not the subject matter expert...

I defer a lot.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

In other news...

Our boy Sami Lepisto made the FIN Team. Osala did not.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

On this Canada v. the rest of the world hockey stuff: Right or wrong, the Canadians think they have a monopoly on hocket sense. Of course, they are going to support their own and favor their own style. But, I've heard way to much nonsense over the years that teams can't win the Stanley Cup with "too many Europeans", or that their style is somewhat less when in the international forum.

Now, I do think that a more physical style is better in the NHL on the smaller rink (and this year in the Olypics), but to say that its "better" or that it wins more is silly. The Red Wigns won a ton of cups with a lot of Russians and the best Defenseman since Orr - and he's from Sweden.

Internationally, pride is fine, and preference for style is accceptable, but I think the Canadians take it a step further. Its like soccer: most countries like their continents style of play and accept that people play the game differently. Brazil, however, thinks their version is the "Beautiful" game. In Hockey, Canada is Brazil. I hate Brazil.

P.s. Do not go to Brazil or Canada if you want to meet reigning World Cup of Olympic champions in these sports.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 30, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 30, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Nice... oldtime... nice...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

So much pomp and circumstance with this Team Canada stuff...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

JSchon: Yes, you just keep eating.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray019 - Thanks for thanking me for being a post lockout fan. Pre-lockout, I did not have the wherewithal to attend Caps games - or any other professional sporting event - and my then-husband was more interested in watching professional wrestling on television than hockey, or I might have become a fan much earlier than I did. :-) I love the speed of the game.

And I do understand the heartbreak of seeing your team lose year after year. I've been a Cubs fan all my life. But every year, I pick up my hat, and think, "this year's gonna do it," I don't think, "they didn't do it last year, or the year before, or..." maybe that makes me a cockeyed optimist, and if it does, so be it.

But if you take off the puce-colored glasses from years past and look at -RIGHT NOW- and you might see where we're coming from when we say Schultz is not as bad as people who bash him for not playing a 1990s style hockey game seem to think he is.

Posted by: irockthered | December 30, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

As a knock on the US team, announcing it during the winter classic is a lame stunt, especially since Buttmann has already said they are going to "revisit" the Olympic break in the next CBA.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Martin Brodeur
Marc Andre Fluery
Robert Luongo

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Martin Brodeur
Marc Andre Fluery
Robert Luongo

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse
------------
What a shocker!

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Shocking... No Theodore...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Our boy Sami Lepisto made the FIN Team. Osala did not.

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 11:50 AM |

Yeah, bummed for him.

Congrats to Flash.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 30, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

time to see if Greener made it

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | December 30, 2009 11:33 AM |

Ovi's too smart to ever get caught like Booth or Okposo.

Plus...the guy is a tank. People hit him with speed and bounce off him.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 30, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

No Green- sucks

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Dan Boyle
Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith
Scott Neidermeyer "C"
Chris Pronger
Brent Seabrook
Shea Weber

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

no Green :/

Posted by: elicea | December 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, the CHI/DAL game last night was awesome. Neal tried to line-up Campbell and bounced off him and flew across the ice.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Greenie didn't make the cut. Pronger, Neidermayer, Keith, Doughty, Weber, Seabrook and Boyle to man the blue line for Canada.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow...

No Jay Bouwmeester...
No Mike Green...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

They are going to regret that.

It's a shame when the highest leading d-man in the NHL right now doesn't make the team.

Doughty and Seabrook over Green? meh.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

That's because JayBo sucks.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Green's going to take this hard and is going to want to prove everyone wrong in the playoffs.

He could be a (well-rested and healthy) beast come Cup-time...

Posted by: justbrewit | December 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Alright...

E.FN.Fehr should be named for the forwards...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

the only reason seabrook made it is because he is partners with duncan keith

Posted by: _stevo | December 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

My big "?" is Regehr. I haven't watched much, if any, of the Flames this year, but I had him penciled in.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

screw yzerman wat the hell is he thinking...seabrook over green? Im gonna laugh when they lose

Posted by: meikesports | December 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: meikesports | December 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Partners?

Like Ellen and Portia?

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Screw Canada..

I'm no fan of Crosby's -- but Canada left him off the roster in 2006 and look what happened. Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. I'd take Green over five of those guys on their roster.. hilarious..

Those clowns always go with the safe bet instead of the offense. No Green? Screw Canada. For that matter why haven't they given Boudreau a call?

The only reason the Canadians will get a medal this time is because they've cheated, and will use the NHL-size ice rink.

Screw Canada, go Sweden.

Corey Perry
Mike Richards
Eric Staal
Joe Thornton
Jonathan Toews

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Staal has one good game and he makes the team?

Many people on the CTV boards are surprised by Green's omission.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 30, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

No Erskine??

Amazing

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 30, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Alright...

E.FN.Fehr should be named for the forwards...

Posted by: JSchon | December 30, 2009 12:27 PM |