Fleischmann Talks About Blood Clot

Flash, in happier, blood clot-free times. (John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

When Tomas Fleischmann went to the doctor in June to have his throbbing left leg checked out, he expected to be diagnosed with a muscle bruise or pull.

He wasn't expecting to be told he was suffering from deep vein thrombosis, a blood clot that can kill if it goes untreated.

"I felt pain, but I was just resting and the pain went away," Fleischmann said. "Then I started working out ...and the calf didn't feel perfect. So I went to see doctor and he told me I have a blood clot there."

"I never [had] heard about it before," he added. "So I said, 'What am I supposed to do, when am I supposed to practice again?' He said, 'Three months from now.'"

The doctor told Fleischmann that his condition likely was caused by a few factors.

"It was probably the combination of blocking shots in the playoffs against Pittsburgh and the long flight, sitting on one spot," Fleischmann said.

Fleischmann, who is now on blood thinners, said he can't participate in full contact drills because of the elevated risk of bruising and the threat of bleeding uncontrollably if he were to get cut.

"If you're taking those pills thinning your blood you can't get any concussion or any contact," he said. "That's why I can't practice with the guys. I can bleed out pretty quickly. That's why I'm practicing by myself and trying to make sure I get ready [for] when I get cleared in first week of the season."

Fleischmann said he was ordered to rest for five or six weeks before resuming working out in mid-July. He didn't start skating until two or three weeks ago, but believes he can still be ready to play at some point in October.

While Fleischmann lost a good chunk of his offseason, the winger has not lost his sense of humor. When asked if he planned to stop blocking shots, Fleischmann fired back with a laugh, "That was probably my one shot I blocked in playoffs."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 14, 2009; 10:57 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nylander: 'I Want to Play in the NHL'
Next: Morning Reading List: The Net Navigators

Comments

Fleischmann blocked a shot? That's like Nylander skating in a straight line...

Seriously, get well Flash. At least we know you have a better shooting percentage than your replacement (Giroux).

Posted by: RightWinger2 | September 14, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Thank for the Fleischmann news.
NOW GIVE US SOME CAMP UPDATES!!!!!

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | September 14, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know when the first cuts are?

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | September 14, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

LIVINIT1, can't remember the exact date, but Boudreau stated it will coincide with the start of Bears camp, which is in a week or so.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | September 14, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

So glad I missed that Nylander thread....yeesh guys.

I gotta say though, quipping about the Pens and refs and non-calls and Bettman fixing etc... I mean really? Get a grip. If you guys believe that the League fixed a team to win a Cup, why do you even care about the Cup? Seems a bit arbitrary now.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Guess who showed up in Anaheim? Emminger on a 2 yr deal.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 14, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Thats scary stuff...we see the big bucks these guys get and forget that they really are risking health out there...

Get well soon Tomas,

Posted by: SA-Town | September 14, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Also gotta say that Nylander handled that media fire quite well. If he is truly recovered from his injuries and truly ready to come and play again, what's the problem people? 37 pts in 40 games before he went down his last year.

Wait to see how he does the first couple of weeks (if he even plays) before you guys rain down on him. The season has not even started yet...yeesh.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

None of the first cuts will be of any shock. Look at the guys playing in the Bears group. It won't be until right before the season that we find out if Alzner or Sloan or Bourque or Aucoin or whomever is on the team. Regarding Aucoin, I think he has a one-way deal this year, so he probably has a leg up on making the team, especially if the Nylander situation develops.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 14, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Guess who showed up in Anaheim? Emminger on a 2 yr deal.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 14, 2009 11:21 AM |

Guess they had to make up all those PIM they lost in Pronger. That is, if Eminger even sees a Duck uniform.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

LIVINIT1: Probably after the first couple of pre-season games, they'll send the minor-league guys down. It's not as hard and fast as football and it's not usually done all at once like in football.

@Greg S. Yup, I knew about Eminger to Anaheim, that was announced a couple of weeks ago. Glad he landed on his feet.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

>> Guess who showed up in Anaheim? Emminger on a 2 yr deal.

I was wondering about him the other day. And Zednik too... not on the FLA roster it seems.

Posted by: rh71 | September 14, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree with richmondphil and his assessment on Nylander. He's a good hockey player whether you like him or not. It's a new season, wipe the slate clean, and let's see who brings the best to the team.

Posted by: gonchpup | September 14, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Zednik signed with Yaroslavl in the KHL back when the playoffs were still being played, April timeframe.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

So Eminger and Artuhykin are in ANA? They REALLY wanted to fill the PIM they lost with Pronger...

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Tarik: I noticed yesterday while watching drills for group A that Cody Eakin was running some of the drills with Ovechkin as his partner (and keeping up, too). If you get a chance to talk to Cody, what does he think of the experience of running drills partnered with his idol?

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly Aucoin got a "red" sweater yesterday, if that means anything.

Also, to me Alzner, looked like a stud out there on Sun. Sloan and Carlson were sucking wind and Alzner did even break a sweat.

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | September 14, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Even though I think Alzner will be the youngster who gets to stay with the Caps this season everyone needs to keep in mind that was his first day pushing himself. Carlson and Sloan have been working hard since last week. Their only day off since last week Monday was probably Saturday. They are probably a little fatigued.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Zed went to Europe.

Posted by: mattbuckley80 | September 14, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1,

Good point......

Is it just me or do Osala have the hands of a brick layer?
firt time seeing him so i am willing to atribute it to nerves.

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | September 14, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I got a schedule of events here in front of me and Group C isn't listed after the Thurs game at Buffalo, so guess some cuts will be made 18th. then no group A and B for Sun the 20th guessing there wil be more on the 19th or morning of the 20th

Posted by: billd2 | September 14, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Hey all. I find myself at least 5 people short (we'll take more) in a yahoo head to head league that is set to draft this Thursday at 8:15PM Eastern. It is a head to head league. Please e-mail me at lornemyoung@yahoo.com if you are interested. I just ask those that join (if any) to keep it clean and friendly.

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 14, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@LIVINIT1: The "red" sweater means absolutely nothing to who gets the call. The different sweater colors denote lines - if they're wearing the same color sweater, they're on the same line. Who's on what line is decided by a lot of factors - productiveness, skill set, chemistry, even sometimes what hand they shoot with.

Osala's actually pretty good, IMO, although I didn't like what I saw of him yesterday. He was good last season, and he came back pretty recently, so it might be first-day jitters.

I didn't like what I saw of Alzner yesterday. He got beat but good more than once. I was a little concerned, and there's definitely discussion there. About him staying up with the Caps, remember that there's a salary cap question there too.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Anaheim likes Eminger a lot. They tried to get him last year too. We'll see if he flourishes or goes the way of his ex-Caps partner Brian Sutherby.

"Steve Eminger brings a physical presence to our blueline and is very capable offensively," said Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Murray. "Being only 25 years old, we expect him to continue improving as a player and make a solid contribution this season.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Kittypawz,

Cant argue with the cap issues as it relates to Alzner staying up. Hadnt thought of that.... So I guess that his fate might be tied to Nyles.

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | September 14, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | September 14, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Its not Alzner's conditioning thats a concern. Its the way he gets pushed around off the pucks in his own end ala Jeff Schultz. At least Alz is SAYING the right things this preseason about wanting to improve upon that deficiency.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@LIVINIT1: Very likely. I don't think that Nylander is actually going anywhere, to be honest, and if he can produce in this lineup, so much the better. (If he insists on staying and doesn't produce, he's going to cause problems in the locker room.)

I'll be honest with you - as long as the Caps ice an effective squad that kicks tail and takes names, the names on the back of the shirts are secondary. Yeha, I'd like to see some of the Hershey guys get a shot - several of them deserve it. I think Schultz gets too much of a bad rap from some of the armchair GM's here. And I have a total hockey crush on Chris Bourque and I would dearly love to see him make the team. But, in the end, it's about winning, and if some of these guys have to go elsewhere to get their shot because the Caps are just ridiculously deep, then so be it.

I know for a fact that Bourque will get his shot - he's only 23, and I guarantee you that if he goes to the waiver wire, someone will pick him up and he'll get to play in the NHL. Boston would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have the son of one of their legends play for the team. Sloan I'm not so sure about, and I think he does deserve it for his play last season and into the postseason. Alzner and Carlson will both get theirs somewhere, someday.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
from the previous post:
I think the "sound of slurping" would be more than I could stand

haha - that should win quote of the day

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 14, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I watched Bourque play in PA a couple of times and he looked pretty good. Had some snarl to his game..Looks kind of small out there with the big boys though.

Posted by: LIVINIT1 | September 14, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 12:20 PM

I happen to really like Chris Bourque a lot too, and hope to see him up with the big boys this Fall (atleast while Fehr and Flash are out, anyway).

I have been meaning to ask (anyone really), but I went to a bunch of Bears games last year, and on one occasion I saw someone wearing a T-shirt that said "You Got Bourqued" on it. I absolutely loved that, and wanted to know if it was custom made or if it was being sold somewhere. Has anyone seen that shirt being sold anywhere? Just curious. Thanks.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | September 14, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil if you look back to the stanley cup history, when was the last time a Canadian team won it? 1993 Montreal Canadiens. 1993 just so happens to be when Bettman started as comish. Coincidence? I think not.

Look at the teams that have won in the past, Detroit and Pittsburgh excluded: Tampa and Anaheim- Bettman expansion, Carolina - Bettman allowed team to move from Hartford. I'm not saying the league fixed any of these, but if you go back and look at the officiating in any of these years, you could see who the "favorite" was in at least the second round.

Lastly, look at the Coyotes situation as well. They should've never moved in the first place and now look at this huge mess. Bettman has to take some, if not most, of the blame for that.

Posted by: jwash4472 | September 14, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

So if miraculously, Nyls goes to Europe and we get around 5 mil cap space. What do we do with?? Who is still out there that we can get? I'm assuming we'd go for the proverbial big shut down dman. Who is still available? Or should we wait until close to trading deadline to make a move?

Posted by: Andoy | September 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I was thinking about coming to watch camp on Thursday. The schedule says they have morning skate at 10 and then two practices and then the game at 7 in Buffalo. Are the morning skates and practices at KCI? or they up in Buffalo? Do you know the schedule for that day?

Does anyone know the schedule for that particular day?

Thanks

Posted by: whsqb10 | September 14, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

More important (re: Nyles) than cap room for this year (we can trade ShaMo and make do, anyway) is the cap room for next year, when Semin and Backstrom extensions will eat approx $6M more in space (in a year when the cap might drop) than they do this year coming.

Having said that, the cap space would be great this year too. BUT, you might then be inclined to trade some young players for a vet...and we know how that has worked (not) for many teams in the past.

Best thing as you point out, Andoy, is you have deadline flexibility. Just be careful how you use it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andoy | September 14, 2009 12:40 PM

Andoy, if he does go then I say we play with what we have and wait for the trade deadline to make a move. Our D are all still young and continue to improve.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1, next year isn't as much of a concern with Nyls and his contract. His NMC ends after this year so we can trade him away or buy out his contract.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@kittypaws

On Schultz getting a bad rap here. I would love to hear him say that he "wants to be more aggressive" like Alzner said last week (or so).

Show of hands if they'd like to hear that from him? Mine's up.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 14, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I finally took a look at the A, B, and C rosters. Someone mentioned on the 1st day of camp that Nyls was on Team C like it was a negative thing. There are a lot of no brainer keepers on Team C like Bradley, Clark, Laich, Steckel, and Green.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, pkendrick, Caps are actually better re: cap than they were this time last year. Feds and Kozzie ($6.5M) have been replaced by Knuble and BMo ($4.3M). Only Jurcina has a raise from last year - and only $500K. Last year the only way the cap was made was by having a revolving player or two on LTIR. This year, trade ShaMo, and you can skate by all year with a full roster of 23. Only thing then is flexibility for deadline, and you can still do that if someone, anyone, is on LTIR next March 1st.

As for next year, I'm not sure how the lower Nylander salary affects the cap if he's traded. My point was: the Caps need every penny next year for Semin, Backstrom and other new deals, while the cap might fall. Every penny might count. This year, trade ShaMo alone, and you can see a path forward.

Respectfully, tom in FL

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 14, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Kittypawz, regarding your statement about Nyls: (If he insists on staying and doesn't produce, he's going to cause problems in the locker room.)
Did you mean "it is going..." or do you really think he will be a malcontent and cause problems? I just don't see Nyls as that type of a guy, but I might be wrong.

I ask because I generally like your posts and I am interested in your opinion, although, at times we don't agree.

Posted by: hock1 | September 14, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andoy | September 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

use it to resign semin and backs...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 14, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. Sure. I'd rather he showed it :)

@Andoy: My vote's on hanging on to any cap room flexibility we get until the deadline or close to it. We know that we can get to the playoffs on what we've got. Plus, we've got a new D coach and a new G coach, so that might well account for something. Our D is young and continues to improve, as pkendrick said.

When all is said and done, you can't predict what will happen during the season or what you will need for the playoffs in September. Injuries happen. Players have breakout years, and as a young team, it's sure not impossible for that to happen to the Caps. As long as we can make the playoffs on what we've got, I'm content to wait and see what shakes out, and save our cap room for injury call-ups or that one last piece of the puzzle to make a serious go at the Stanley Cup. We found out last season what happens when you're ready but missing one piece and don't have the cap room to add it.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@hock1: Yes, I meant that the situation will cause problems, not that he will. Sorry, I was unclear there.

Also, for those of you discussing Nylander's cap room should follow Corey on Twitter - there's a Group B / Group C scrimmage going on and he is Twittering it. It sure sounds like Nylander is more than a circular pylon out there.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl, I totally agree that we are better off and I would be against them buying out Nyls final year because we need every penny for Nicky and Sasha.

I was just saying that if Nyls were still here this time next year that it would be easier to get rid of his salary becuase his NMC will be gone.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

You know, it just occurred to me that Nylander's wife might not want to live in Omsk (Southern Siberia, a stone's throw from Kazakhstan) any more than she wanted to live in Edmonton, regardless of whether or not Michael wants to go.

It was the explanation last time he acted all sorts of weird about his intended destination. No reason it couldn't be that again.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 14, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

For sure! But first it has to be in the thought process.

In the "For What It's Worth" column...

TSN has an analysis of Fantasy Hockey picks for this coming season. There's a surprise in there sitting at #50 on Centers. Nylander. The only other center from the Caps is Backstrom at #5.

L. Wingers are Ovie #1 (duh!), Semin #9, Laich #46.

R. Wing is Knuble #27, Green at #2 for Defense, and Varly at #9 in goal

Posted by: Greg S. | September 14, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwash4472 | September 14, 2009 12:39 PM |

You know what I say to this? yawn...yawn...yawn...
Do you honestly think that Tampa AND Carolina won their cups because of officiating? Some of you guys are more delusional than I thought.

And as for your comment on the Phoniex situation, they should never have moved from Winnipeg? Are you familiar with the reasons WHY they even moved? They were destined to get moved, it was the choice of Phoniex that can be questioned. But, coming from a guy who is a fan of a SE division team, shouldn't you LOVE Bettman's desire to make hockey markets in South/non-hockey places? I sure do.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwash4472 | September 14, 2009 12:39 PM

Umm, maybe you didn't watch the Stanley Cup Finals in 2004, 2006, or 2007, but there were Canadian teams in all those series, and two of them went to Game 7s. So, the conspiracy theory falls short. The only team that has truly been screwed is Buffalo in '99 with the Hull goal that, due to the rules on the books at the time, should not have counted allowing the Stars to win.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | September 14, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

And if you think the winning team in the NHL is arbitrary, why do you even care about it? Go watch a sport that you think is more objective and doesn't pull strings then.

You seriously have no problem in saying that the NHL "fixed" teams to win the Cup, and then say you want the Caps to win the Cup? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? If you want to make the Cup arbitrary, then why do you even care about it?

I am so sick of hearing about this conspiracy garbage.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else at Kettler right now watching Nylander's group? I would be psyched as heck if he could become a set-up man again. Can those of you at Kettler give some insight on how Nyls looks?

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Bring up that goal to any Sabres fan. You'll get a funny reaction. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I am with richmondphil and wanting to stop the discussion of "fixed" games. We can us that as excuses all we want but it's just not true.

I don't know about you all ball but I mock political conspiracy theorists all the time and feel hypocritical making the fixed game argument.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

pkendrick: You are right, easier to trade once NMC expires. However, some team still would need to be willing to take on the final year with cap hit $4.875M.

Let's hope though he overcomes "whatever" and makes a 60-80 pt contribution this year. That isn't such a bad outcome either. And, if he plays well, then maybe easier to trade after this season.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 14, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree, even if McCreary sometimes gives me pause for thought.

I just keep thinking about the second-to-last game in the '08 regular season against the Canes. Carolina fans were foaming at the mouth screaming about the game being fixed for the Caps. Their last game, which would have sealed the division for them and knocked the Caps out, they got something like 14 power plays and zero penalty kills, and still lost to Tampa, basically handing us the division.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 14, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1: nothing would make me happier then to have him come in and contribute. How great would it be to have 3 lines that could be legitimate scoring lines.

Ovi-Nicky-Knubs
Sasha-BMo-Brooks
BLANK-Nyls-Clarkie
Brads-Stecks-Gordo

I leave the 3rd line LW blank because it could be Fehr or Flash or whoever. I would want it to be a sniper type though which would give us 3 lines with a sniper, pivot and net crasher.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

not that it counts for much right now - but phx is the 5th largest market (population) in the U.S.
you would think it wouldn't be to hard to sell ice here ...
building an arena in glendale for the coyotes would be like moving the caps from VC to somewhere just west of fairfax. any fanbase that existed in the east valley almost all but disappeared. it was a nice thought to have a 'sportsplex' in glendale (the nfl cardinals are right next door) but trying to get to a hockey game out here on a weeknight is next to impossible - 8 cardinal games on a weekend way out there is much more manageable.
there is also the problem for sports franchises here, in that the majority of the populace did not grow up here - even those that did had/have other favorite teams before relocation/expansion to the area.
regardless - i hope they can work out keeping the team here, but that is going to be a very short leash

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 14, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Modest: McCreary is the anti-christ so I can see how you would think that he would do what his father (aka the devil, aka Gary Bettman) tells him to do.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Having the 5th largest market in the US, and then placing 28th in the league in attendance is really not a good thing.

I like PHX. I really want it to stay. Like I said, since all of us are fans of a SE division team, we should want ANY of these projects in Southern states to survive.

That is why I give much respect to Dallas, Carolina, and Tampa. Southern teams who won the Cup, despite the Canadian media firestorm these teams get.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@pkendricks

Your lines have Laich left off. That just goes to show how we have a lot of options.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

IIRC, last preseason Nyls looked great too and the whole "three scoring lines" thing seemed plausible.

Posted by: koalatek | September 14, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@pkendricks

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 2:00 PM

Line 2 RW listed as Brooks

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I can't read. :0

I'd put Flash there instead of Fehr. It's no secret here I like Flash more than Fehr.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

When are we going to get an update??? Something Please Tarik.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 14, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Nylander was a monster in the preseason last year, and so was Clark. Hopefully they can both manage to carry that into the regular season this year.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 14, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I would put Flash there about Fehr as well. Flash is a shiftier player with a better shot so he is more of a scorer then Fehr. Fehr should become a net-crashing power forward.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I mean Flash ABOVE Fehr

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.: Absolutely. Schultzie doesn't talk to the media, though (and who can blame him?) so we don't know what he's really thinking. At the end of the day, talk is cheap. It's the on-ice product that matters. That's all I'm saying.

And by the way, some of you are wasting on awful lot of pixels on something you claim you want to see laid to rest. THE PLIGHT OF PIXELS WHOSE LIVES ARE WASTED! OH THE DRAMA! THE TRAGEDY! I propose an aid concert to raise awareness for the billions of pixels whose precious lives are wasted daily in stupid Internet debates!

Heh. (And, I firmly believe that a pixel's life is not wasted if its use makes someone, somewhere, laugh.)

Well, Group C wins the scrimmage 4-3, for those of you who haven't been following Corey Masisak's Twitter feed. Steckel gets the game-winning goal.

Oh - I thought we didn't qualify Joudrey? Is he on a Hershey-only contract or something?

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

To further illustrate the point about Winnipeg:

Winnipeg Jets attendance

1989-90 - 13,106
1990-91 - 12,931
1991-92 - 12,931
1992-93 - 13,550
1993-94 - 13,297
1994-95 - 13,013
1995-96 - 11,316 (lame duck season)

(all teams available here through 2007-08 season; check out the Coyotes attendance for comparison)

Not exactly sterling turnouts for the Jets, even in a time of lower ticket prices. With all the delusions about the NHL possibly returning to Winnipeg, I give you this:

AHL Manitoba Moose attendance

2005-06 - 8,079
2006 playoffs - 7,430
2006-07 - 7,769
2007 playoffs - 6,649
2007-08 - 7,807
2008 playoffs - 7,765
2008-09 - 7,769
2009 playoffs - 10,544

Ticket prices for the coming season range from $22.50C-$46.50C with discounts for kids and various ticket plans ( http://www.moosehockey.com/individualtickets ). Doesn't seem like the attendance (even with low ticket prices) for the only game in town supports placing a team back in Winnipeg.

From poster NBK over on http://www.accesswinnipeg.com/2009/05/manitoba-moose-head-to-the-calder-cup-finals

"...Do the math for me..The average price of a Jets ticket in 1994-95 was $22.35 US. The average cost fan cost index (ticket prices for a family of four plus concessions and parking) was less than $135.00 US.

Today, the average ticket cost for an NHL game is almost $50 US, and the average fan cost index $288.23 US.

What you are saying to me is assuming the same costs from 1995 (sure whatever), assuming close to the same ticket prices, the 50 luxury boxes would need to sell for like $10 000 per game to break even or make a small profit.

The team was losing 20+ million dollars a year in the old arena, 50 corporate boxes won’t put much of a dent into that. If you can find 15 000 people in Winnipeg willing to shell out $100 Cdn (pair of tickets) 41 times a year. Or any combination that results in 615 000 tickets at $50 each for a season..considering the Moose can only sell 8 000 at less than half the price. What you are saying is double the people will show at double the price for the difference from AHL to NHL..."

Winnipeg is a dead issue, I'd say deader than Phoenix.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | September 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

One more post, related to hockey but not to the Caps and worth a good laugh:

Gaborik's hurt already.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I know I will get hammered here but just take a look at Nylander's point total last season. He had 33 points in 72 games. If the Nylander haters will come clean and be honest, half of those 72 games he was LUCKY to touch the ice for 5-6 minutes vice the 18 he has been accustomed to. Taking that into consideration...was it his performance that kept his point total low, or the fact that he was in BB's dog house all season?

Additionally besides a couple of pet projects, like when he played on the 1st line for 4 games, Nylander was not surrounded by very good talent, at least not a sniper on his line. His career stats show that he is more of an assist guy than a goal scorer. However, assist guys need to play with finishers.

He did begin to look apprehensive and coughed up the puck as the season went along but it got to the point that just about every shift was under a microscope.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for all the specifics on that MetalCapsFan. Winnipeg was out, and we all knew it. Former jets fan try to say it was only because they couldn't get their new arena, which is a laugh.

@kitty
Yeah, I read something about that too. Tender groin or something.
Gaborik would be one of the top 3 players in the league easily if he remained healthy. His speed is unmatchable, when healthy.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

They let Joudrey walk. Pretty sure he went to Manchester AHL.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 14, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Opps, forgot to post the link for the attendance figures, so here ya go...

NHL attendance figures 1989-90 through 2008-09

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | September 14, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

what time is the Caps camp/practice at Kettler each day? I've never been to a training camp practice so I'm not sure if they are going in shifts / scrimmage??

Can anyone help? Trying to go this week.

Posted by: Jaymagz | September 14, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@Jaymagz

You can probably see guys on the ice any time between 10:30 and 2.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 14, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Joudrey signed with Hershey

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@thiazzi

Soon as these guys respond to me, I'll have their emails and send em to you tonight or tomorrow so we can fill out the league.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

HERSHEY
Greg Amadio (D) re-signed
Jason Bacashihua (G) Lake Erie Monsters (AHL)
Michael Dubuc (F)
Bryan Helmer (D) Washington Capitals (NHL)
Andrew Joudrey (F) re-signed
Grant McNeill (D/F) re-signed
Darren Reid (L) re-signed
Brandon Sugden (L) Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)
Patrick Wellar (D)
Dylan Yeo (D) Manitoba Moose (AHL) / Victoria Salmon Kings (ECHL)

All of the hershey signings.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought Helmer was going to retire

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

BB and GMGM are trying to say in a nice way that they'd like Nyls to leave without damanging his value to play in Europe. No NHL team wants him at his current salary which means the Caps are stuck with him for the next two years at $5.5M/year. I like Nyls as a person and professional, but think he's seen his better days and isn't a fit for the Caps current system.

Lets hope this stalemate can be resolved amicably instead of like the Bobby Carpenter situation 20+ years ago where we had an unhappy, highly paid player sitting on the sideline while the team tried to trade him. Unlike Carpenter, Nylander has no trade value and the Caps are dependent on a European or Russian league team taking him off our hands. IMO, it's a given the Nyls won't be on th opening night roster and the team is trying to move him so that some of the young kids have more PT during training camp.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 14, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik really dropped ball today for not providing any coverage of the training camp.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | September 14, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@wizfan89: They're truly stuck with him this year, I think, because of the NMC; he must consent to any moves made. I'm pretty sure that if the Caps do not win the Cup this year, Nylander will be more or less run out of town on a rail, citing his refusal to leave and resultant cap hit as the reason why the Caps didn't have the pieces they needed.

Next year, though, is the last year of his contract, and the NMC goes away. At that point, he can be traded, waived and sent down, or something else. He is still a valuable player and I think that he still holds value in another organization.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't normally agree with DannyBoy1975, but Tarik, my friend, Corey's got you stomped right now in terms of coverage.

I do, though, really recommend to anyone who doesn't follow both Tarik and Corey's Twitter feeds that they should probably do so.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 14, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Can't do that, Kitty. My damned boss actually wants work to get done. Can you imagine???

Posted by: Greg S. | September 14, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy's team C beat Varly's team B! Yeah Neuvy!!! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | September 14, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Winnipeg is a dead issue, I'd say deader than Phoenix.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | September 14, 2009 2:23 PM

Even more info on Winnipeg. The arena held 15,565. According to the stats you gave, they couldn't sell out the smaller arena let alone the number of seats a current NHL franchise does.

By contrast, the smallest arena now holds at 17,565 (Boston). Verizon holds 18,277. The MTS Centre, where Winnipeggers want their new NHL team holds only 15,015 and it's the smallest of the AHL arenas.

When I travelled there for business, I'd try to get a game in during my stay. It was a good time, but the place was never full.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 14, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If Nylander did a lot of other things well then yes his point total in limited ice time would be somewhat impressive. Since he doesn't do anything else well I'm sorry to say I'd rather have him get replaced by a younger stronger more well-rounded player who may not put up as many points but will still end up being a better asset overall and not one-dimensional.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Sasha-BMo-Brooks
BLANK-Nyls-Clarkie
Brads-Stecks-Gordo>>

If you're looking for 3 scoring lines, why not just all 4? Why stop at 3? I mean, maybe we can just recall Bouchard, Giroux and Kyle Wilson and put them on our 4th line.

Nyls is not a 3rd line center. And he's not the type of player you want on your 3rd line anyway. You want a strong two way center or a checking center not an aging frail dipsy-doodling guy who would be a terrible complement to Clark since Clark relies on his centers getting the puck to the net. Clark's no good if he's trying to gather up Nylander passes along the high slot or end boards. You have to play Nyles with more skilled players who can handle the puck which means you either play him on the 2nd line or not at all

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Nylander takes terrible penalties, too. He needs to work on that, since he'll be under extreme scrutiny already.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I apologize in advance for my pixel killing post, yet I feel compelled to add to the neverending Nyls/BB debate. It is both of their responsibility to make this season work. A good coach, which I think BB is, should be able to find a role in his system for a talented player, which Nyls is. But Nyls also bears responsibility to adapt to different systems and styles of play. As for his being transferred, I am not good at reading tea leaves, but what concerned me is that he would have to consent to being put on waivers before a transfer could be finalized. Nyls would be taking a huge risk that another NHL team would pick him up first. Plus we are poised to make a deep run for the SC, and any athlete worth his salt would want to be part of that run. I expect to see Nyls out there hopefully reconfiguring his game so he could remain on this team.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | September 14, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"A good coach, which I think BB is, should be able to find a role in his system for a talented player, which Nyls is."

I keep reading this..and it still makes no sense. How can BB find room for a skilled finesse center on a team that already has TWO better FINESSE centers and Dave Steckel who was arguably our best center in the playoffs last year. If we hadn't signed BMo then perhaps you have a case. But after signing BM, there is no room for Nyles unless you force him upon our 3rd line which makes our entire team weaker anyway. How many other teams employ a 3rd line center like Nylander who can't kill penalties, can't play in role situations and now has to share PP ice time with Backstrom and Morrison.

I mean, I appreciate the sentiment but lets use logic here.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Um ... you ever thought that that may just be for the benefit of the media? You don't ever say of a former teammate that he won't be missed, it's that simple.

Oh wait, I asked you to think instead of kneejerk. My bad.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 12, 2009 3:59 PM

@kittypawz: O Kitty! I think I'm in love ! OUCH!

OFF SUBJECT -- Heatley headed to San Jose in return for Chechoo, Michalek and a pick

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | September 12, 2009 2:50 PM

@Puckdawg: Cherechoo in Ottawa...hmmm....could be trouble.

The facts also say the Caps couldn't stay out of the penalty box during last season either. That jobbing meme reeks of tinfoil hat conspiracy.

Posted by: Section117 | September 14, 2009 7:31 AM

@Section 117: But it wasn't just the Caps who suffered from the pro-Penguin referee bias. During Game 3 of the Final (at Mellon Arena), the Pens had too many men on the ice for close to half a minute. And EVERYBODY knew it!!!

Mike Babcock knew it and he just about blew a gasket.

Bylsma knew it and said nothing (naturally).

The crowd at the Igloo knew it and suddenly it got (relatively) real quiet in the building.

The players all knew it.

Even the NBC broadcasters up in the booth interrupted their Crosby love-fest to remark several times during that nearly half-minute (an eternity during a hockey game):

"Pittsburgh has too many many on the Ice!The Penguins have six skaters on the ice!"

EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE who watched that game seemed to notice this EXCEPT for the people whose JOB it was to notice: The Referees. Who, when they finally DID call a stoppage in play, did so to call an interference penalty on Zetterberg!!

Then too there was Malkin starting a fisticuffs at the close of another game, but suffering no consequences for it. And the list goes on...

I'm telling you, man: Ain't no tinfoil hats about it: it all adds up to Bettman-sanctioned, Campbell-approved, NBC-sponsored Penguin Love!.

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 14, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait, I asked you to think instead of kneejerk. My bad.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 12, 2009 3:59 PM

you're right, I can learn so much from you o wise one. You're chock full of insights.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 14, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

spoken like a true homer

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't why some of you people even bother watching hockey... make it sound worse than pro wrestling... LMAO

Posted by: joek443 | September 14, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 1:38 PM

++++++

@Fanhock,

I'm not much of a skilled observer, so I can't really speak to Nyls setting anything up today. But in play he was starting to work better with his teammates than yesterday, engaged in some scrapping for the puck along the boards (he looked more physicial than at the end of last season), and used his circling effectively to evade two opposing players while keeping control of the puck until he could shoot to a teammate through traffic.

I tentatively say he looks promising, but it is his relationship with the team that will be the deciding factor. Sunday he looked like the odd man out during drills, but today Nyls seemed to be fitting in better and ShoMo shared friendly banter with him after the scrimmage.

@Jaymagz: the training camp schedule can be found here:

Roster: http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=497792

Posted by: pstenigma | September 14, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1; If GMGM is really trying to copy the Detroit team with "as much skill as possible" then Nyls as a 3rd line center would make sense. I wasn't saying I wanted it that way just that it was an option IF the team decided to go that way.

But (as I have already said) I am in agreement with you on the conspiracy talk. Refs are blind but they are blind all the time so the fact that they missed the 6th skater isn't that surprising.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 14, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

You keep thinking that. While you're at it, convince the rest of us that 9/11 was an inside job.

Posted by: Section117 | September 14, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm not so much worried about how you number the lines and whether or not Nyles fits on this line or that. This absolutely, positively isn't meant as a knock on whoever might have said something like that. What I feel is each line you put out there has to be effective and have a purpose. Let's just say Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble are the "primary offensive line." Mostly you would want to employ them on O-zone draws and on the PP. Semin, Morrison and Laich give you another line for similar purpose. Bradley, Steckel and Clark would give you a hard-nosed line for checking and d-zone draws. Now you have another combo to be made. Really, for balance, it should be defense first, It can be an energy line, whatever. Can you combine Nylander, Bourque and Aucoin to start the season? Can they be made to bring something to the table? Certainly, they would all have a lot to prove.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 14, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Detroit has a lot of skill but their skill players play with a lot of grit as well. So I don't think they'd be employing a Nylander type on the 3rd line. This year when they finally dump Maltby and Draper they'll be able to get some younger blood in their lineup who are skilled guys but play with a ton of energy and grit (i.e. Darren Helm)

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I think without a doubt that Nylander will be a better player this year than he was last. That being said--I still don't want him in there. If we hadn't signed BMo, then maybe a new improved more dedicated Nyles would have been acceptable. With our top 2 centers set, I don't want Nyles chewing up Steckel's ice time or any other young guy. I wouldn't be against having Steckel in on the 3rd line and Beagle and Gordo fight it out for the 4th. Gordo's better at center than at RW anyway.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

My ideal wouldn't have Nyls as our 3rd line center either. It was just saying it was an option. I have said on here many times that I love the Brads-Stecks-Laich line as our 3rd line. They proved that they could score goals last year in the playoffs AND they could easily be set as a shutdown line against other top lines. Stecks wins face-offs and Brads and Laich are fast enough to keep up with the other teams top speedy wingers.

Everyone is giving Laich the 2nd line RW job right now and he could totally do that job as well but I like the above line so much I wouldn't want to break it up.

Who knows, maybe they find out that Clarkie is back to 06 form and he gets the RW job on the top line. Then you have Knubs playing with his old buddie BMo on the 2nd line with Semin. Or Knubs is on the top line and Clarkie gets the 2nd line RW job. Yeah you still have to worry about what to do with Flash and Fehr but it doesn't seem like either of them will be ready for opening night. How about a 4th line of Gordo centering your choice of wingers. They could choose from Bourque, Laing, Beagle, Osala, Giroux, etc...

Personally I would like to see Bourque ang Laing get a shot. Laing has paid his dues. He also kills penalties and is a great locker room guy. Bourque is a spark almost got a spot on the team last year and is absolutely everywhere on the ice.

Of course everything we are talking about here is completely useless (and wasted pixels) but we are all just trying to play coach/GM while trying to sound smarter then the next guy. But hey it's fun so we will keep doing it.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 14, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 14, 2009 3:11 PM |

Someone a few weeks ago compared Nyls to Bobby C., and it really is a bad analogy. Bobby C. had about a half a year in the doghouse. Bobby C. also went on to be a vital part of Jersey's Cup the next year. Nylander had 1 full year, and is on contract for 2 more. The situations are worlds apart.

More conspiracy talk? Yawn.....

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone assuming it is a foregone conclusion that BMo is going to fit on the 2nd line? I hope he does, but Nyls isn't fitting where he was supposed to fit. BMo is actually more of a "let see what he can do" situation.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Detroit doesn't have an enforcer. That is about where their critique for toughness ends. They still have arguably one, if not two, of the best open ice hitters on their blue line. Their star players, Zberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen are ALL known for a solid two-way game, not just their scoring ability. Then they have a gritty bottom two lines, with guys like Kopecky. All of their young guys coming up are either extremely fast (Leino, Helm) or extremely physical in their play (Abdelkadder, Ericcson, Helm again).

We don't emulate much of that.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Only 1 update today? What's going on TEB?!

Posted by: O-V-P | September 14, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

@O-V-P

I guess we're all getting spoiled with the number of updates that had been taking place lately.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 14, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I was looking forward to my hockey fix during MNF. Nothing worthy today?

Posted by: jbears1 | September 14, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

We don't emulate much of that.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

um..damn..yep, thats exactly right.

we're only emulating or attempting to emulate one little piece of the Wings puzzle. And taken out of context, that enforcer comparison holds no water.

re: who can replace Laich on the Steckel line if he gets moved upto the 2nd line. My vote is Laing. He fits in perfectly with Brads and Steck. The only thing he doesn't give you is being able to handle the puck ala Laich. Or take faceoffs ala Laich. Laing is all about chaos, disruption of flow, banging defensemen and crashing the net. I could live with that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

@catanton--I was not discussing specific lines. I was talking about the larger issue of mutual responsibility between BB and Nyles. Since this thread started posters have been blaming BB OR Nyles. Some have used the thread to also bash GMGM. I did not mean Nyles should be handed a spot. Nor did I think BB and the team should just abandon any attempt to make use of him. I leave the actual lines up to BB and I expect a fair amount of experimentation--isn't that part of the idea for training g camp, to try out new line combos.

Personally I hope that a transfer could be worked out but it is not an easy thing to achieve particularly because of the need to put him on waiver first, wasn't sure Nyles would consent.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | September 14, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

It won't be Caps hockey but between NHL Network and Madison Square Garden (MSG) there is a preseason game all week beginning tomorrow night at 7pm. The Caps are even on MSG next week Thursday. I think they will be on for the home game against the Rangers too on Sunday the 27th at noon.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Re Bobby Carpenter, I repeat my previous post -
"With regard to Carpenter, my recollection is that the Caps were dissatisfied with his play, essentially manufactured the "personality conflict" issue, and Phil Esposito of the Rangers took the bait. Carpenter lasted 28 games with the Rangers, and Esposito not much longer. Except for a couple 20 goal years, Carpenter became essentially a checking line guy for the remainder of his career. SI Hockey online has an article that lists the Carpenter trade (we got Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller) as one of the all time worst (from a NYC perspective)."

Posted by: zmega | September 14, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

some other guy named crawford was part of the Carpenter trade. You gotta remember, when Carpenter played with us he was one of the very few fiesty gritty top liners we had. We had basically a bunch of finesse players who got pushed around a lot on the top 2 lines (esp by the Flyers), then we had a nice plumber line of Haworth centering Adams and Laughlin and a revolving door 4th line.
Carpenter and Tomas Sandstrom had their share of battles, that was always fun to watch. And he was real tight with Stevens so it was tough to see him leave at the time. The reason he got dealt was he was immature, a bit of a prima donna and he wouldn't play in Bryan Murray's disciplined system. Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller were much better fits.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 14, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Sitting here enjoying the early MNF time slot. I wish it would come on at 7 every week. Anyhow, just realized that next week at this time I will be at Verizon Center. It'll be the first home preseason game, but I could care less, I need a Caps fix.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 14, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

More conspiracy talk? Yawn.....

Posted by: richmondphil | September 14, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Carpenter was traded to the Rangers in 1986-87 season after being in the dog house. He signed with the Devils in 1993 after his second stint with the Caps the year before.

Posted by: joek443 | September 14, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic coverage, glad to see sports are neglected as well as the news.

Posted by: Smitten | September 15, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse