Fleischmann's On A Roll

Tomas Fleischmann has always possessed enough skill to score YouTube.com worthy goals. The Washington Capitals winger just lacked the confidence necessary to pull them off in the NHL.

Until recently, that is.

Fleischmann has scored 15 goals this season - five more than all of last season. But there's been something different about the ones he's potted in each of the past three games. They've all been goal scorer's goals, the type the 24-year-old Czech netted with frequency when he was a star in the American Hockey League.

"I'm starting to feel more confident," said Fleischmann, who is on pace for 30 goals. "I'm trying to pick it up. I hope next year will be way better. Last year, I was a half step behind. Now I'm in the game, in the play."

Let's review:

*Against Montreal on Saturday, Fleischmann snagged a pass from Matt Bradley on the rush, settled the puck and snapped it to the one place Canadiens goaltender Jaroslav Halak couldn't reach: long side, off the elbow of the cage.

*Against Edmonton on Tuesday, Fleischmann raced through center ice, blasting past two Oilers forwards and splitting two defensemen before lifting the puck over Lubomir Visnovsky's outstretched stick and then roofing it. Edmonton goalie Dwayne Roloson didn't have a chance.

*Then against Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Fleischmann was camped in front of the Penguins' net when a rebound squirted off of Marc-Andre Fleury's pads and came to rest in the slot. Fleischmann didn't have time to skate to it, so he did the next best thing --he dived, flicking the puck past Fleury while falling to the ice.

"That [Edmonton] goal was a highlight goal," said Coach Bruce Boudreau, who watched Fleischmann score 52 goals in 102 games in Hershey from 2005-2007. "I saw it quite frequently in the American League. He's gaining his confidence now to be able to do it here."

Amazingly, Fleischmann's outburst has come on the heels of a bout with pneumonia, which had been dogging him for "a few weeks" before he actually decided to take some time off. He missed six games from Dec. 26-Jan 9.

Now he's making up for lost time, it seems.

"It looks like he's completely healthy and is playing with much more energy and jump than when he had pneumonia," Boudreau added. "Getting that secondary scoring is an added bonus."

Something else Fleischmann is doing for the Caps: His point production level is much higher than his pay grade -- $725,000 this season and next. His four game winners, in fact, are second on the Capitals only to Alex Ovechkin's 5.

"For cap space, he's a great acquisition," Boudreau said. "You have to have it."

Some other notes from today:

*Practice was optional but among those to take part were injured defensemen Shaone Morrisonn (lower body) and Tom Poti (groin muscle pull). Both are listed a questionable for Saturday's game against Eastern Conference leading Boston.

*Center Boyd Gordon, who has missed the past four games with back spasms, hopes to return against the Bruins.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 15, 2009; 2:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Interview That Keeps Giving
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Chances of seeing Poti before the All star break? Zero!

Posted by: fauxrumors | January 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Alex Semin was asked about Fleischmann's recent highlight goals and he added:

What’s so special about [Fleischmann]? I don’t see anything special there. Yes, he does skate well, has a good head, good pass. But there’s nothing else. Even if you compare him to Patrick Kane from Chicago ... [Kane] is a much more interesting player.

--------------
Some things never change.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 15, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Semin has a man crush on Kane.

Hey Boo, do you still want to trade Fleishman?

Anyone with the combination of youth, production and low cap hit is virtually untouchable. Every team is looking for what we have.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Go Flash!! I was a doubter at the start of the season, but no longer.

Posted by: doughless | January 15, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

confidence wasn't flash's issue before this year. the problems were muscle development and having a clue what to do on the ice when he didn't have the puck. he bulked up over the summer and seems to be more aware of what's going on around him this year.

Posted by: am_jim | January 15, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@SA: Course, Fleischmann costs less, whines less, gets marketed less, punches fewer people in the back of the head, and punches fewer people in the nads than whatsisFaceofHockey.
So that's special.

Posted by: redlineblue | January 15, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Great to see Pens play some dumb hockey.

Nyls and a prospect/pick for Bouw would be a coup.

Posted by: BobLHead | January 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Flash. I wish I could say that I never doubted him... But that would be wholly inaccurate. I'll happily eat my crow though.
I really hope Gordon will be back in the line up, Caps could use someone who will win draws for a change since certain players are incapable of doing so right now.

Posted by: ratgurl46 | January 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I now suspect that Sweden uses the linesman-free face-off method familiar to Wayne's World viewers, instead of the inscrutable NHL system. Hence Nylander's and Backstrom's depressing dot numbers.
Yet another translation problem...

Posted by: redlineblue | January 15, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Flash is doing solid this year. A 30 goal season would be awesome for him to have. He does look to be skating better this year and appears he's much stronger with the puck and moves better without it. And he's helped kill penalties on top of getting power play time. And he's only 24-years-old. The fans have to remember that though this team is extremely talented, it is also very young. Backstrom, Ovechkin, Semin, Flash, Gordon, Steckel, Green, Alzner, Laich, Schultz, Jurcina, Morrisonn and Fehr are all 26-years-old or younger. And there are several prospects over in Hershey that are young as well. The fans have to remind themselves that some of these players are still developing, just like Flash. Now that he has experience, look at what he's doing now.

Posted by: dcox50 | January 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

HOLY KR@P!!!

I just saw FEDOROV score a HATTRICK against the CAPITALS....

On NHL Classic Games, of course. Real cool to see him young again...

Posted by: WhyGo | January 15, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, who else took part in the optional practice? Or, if a smaller number, who didn't take part?

Thanks!

Hope you're feeling better.

Posted by: dml1077 | January 15, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

HE JUST SCORED AGAIN!!!!

SOMEBODY PUT A BODY ON HIM, PLEASE!!

Oh wait, this was 13 years ago.

Posted by: WhyGo | January 15, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Bit late here but going back to the previous thread. My favourite quote (also picked out by SA Town) was Ovie's:

"But it is good that he is following [my movements] now. Because, if he puts his head down [again], I am not going to forgive him."

Clearly Malkin now sleeps with the light on scared that Ovie is under his bed. "Sid, can I get in with you, I just had a bad dream......"

DoubleAlex,
Hey another Red. Good choice of shirt with Ole, I love that guy. What about Man City maybe getting Kaka for £107 million!!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

WOW! FEDS SCORED ALL FIVE GOALS AND BEAT THE CAPS 5-4 IN OVERTIME!

FIRST REDWING TO SCORE FIVE GOALS IN A GAME!

Posted by: WhyGo | January 15, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Someday, when I'm wheezing and old(er), I'm gonna watch Ovie on a Classic Games and say "I wuz there, man, I wuz THERE!"

Then I'll keel over and the grandkids can put on Classic MTV and watch Greenday or something...

Posted by: WhyGo | January 15, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

13th place in the Western conference

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Has there been any discussion about raising the salary cap anytime soon?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Flash's performance:paycheck ratio = cost of trading Flash + Nylander for [experienced defenseman] - Nyl's performance:paycheck ratio

unhappy fans [trading Flash now if the right D-man comes available]

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town
You know there are going to be a lot of people who will believe that Semin said that.

Posted by: bea1231 | January 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

we would BE in 1st with a top 5 goalie. Or is that too obvious?

Posted by: WhyGo | January 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Wierd, that very scientific equation got cut off:

unhappy fans trading Flash now if the right D-man comes available

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

it's the less than sign. Last try!

unhappy fans trading Flash now if the right D-man comes available {is less than} cost of telling Caps fans at next year's trade deadline he's too expensive to keep and say hello to [cheaper guy] who happened to be available on the market at that time. "So, how's it feel to be the cheap guy [cheap guy]?"

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Trouble is, we DO have a top 5 goalie....sometimes....and also a bottom 5 at times...

Posted by: WhyGo | January 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"I've decided to have a daughter, just so her would-be boyfriends can fail my Alzner Test (consistent, discreet, highly-skilled, polite, respectful...wealthy!)" I think Alzner is going to ruin the chances of many a guy looking to date a Caps fan's daughter, regardless of said Caps fan's own behavior. ;-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

waitingsince75:
I never said I "wanted" to trade Flash, I said that he was susceptible to being packaged. I will admit that I did not care for him last season, but he has really broken out this season (I've given him his props here for that several times). That is precisely why he is at risk! He is good, but he is not our best. If we have to get rid of someone decent to get someone decent in return, he is a prime candidate. We're heavy up front and need a good S@H Dman. While I would like to see Flash stay (given the way he has been playing this season), I would rather let him go to bolster the blue line.

Speaking of potential trades ...

I was talking to a guy at work who is from Boston. He told me that he heard the Bruins are picking up Lecavalier. That was news to me! (I thought there was just chatter about him going to the Habs?) Anyone else hearing that?

Posted by: Boo- | January 15, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve - Use & lt; (without the space between the & and the l).

Posted by: irockthered | January 15, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan wrote:

------

That's a pretty crowded bed! Sindy's in bed with Bettman and Mario already.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 15, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

thanks irockthered!

Now I have to try

with the semicolon?: &1t;
or without: &1t

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

hmm...

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

i've been hearing Vinny to the Habs

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Sindy...

CBC.CA tells us that Sindy didn't skate today. Tomorrow they'll tell us if (s)he sneezes or something.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 15, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve - With the semicolon.

It should be (with no spaces - the spaces are to keep it from doing what it actually does):

& lt ;

And your output will be

Posted by: irockthered | January 15, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Why do I feel like Brendan Frasier trying to type '666' on the devil's pager when he's the idiot basketball player

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

You can also use & gt ; (no spaces) to get >.

Posted by: irockthered | January 15, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

no hockey until saturday and this is what we get?

Posted by: Leeguru | January 15, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

[irockthered's html asci knowledge] > [austinsteve's html asci char knowledge]

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Vinny to Boston? That scares me more than Vinny to Habs.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 15, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Brian Lawton, Tampa's GM, sez that Vinny is not being shopped at all. He has received a few calls about him, but he's not being shopped. None of the calls he did receive came from Montreal. According to him.

Now watch Vinny be traded next week.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Has there been any discussion about raising the salary cap anytime soon?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 4:07 PM

There has been talk of REDUCING the salary cap for next year because of the economic climate.

Posted by: washcapsfan | January 15, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Flash's goal was great last night, but I was more impressed with the forecheck/steal that led to Semin's goal. That's the kind of lunch pail stuff Bruce was talking about.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | January 15, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

What’s so special about [Lacavalier]? I don’t see anything special there. Yes, he does skate well, has a good head, good pass. But there’s nothing else. Even if you compare him to Alex Semin from Capitals ... [Semin] is a much more interesting player.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 15, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

am_jim:
"confidence wasn't flash's issue before this year"
to add to your list:
the level of competition in the AHL is not the same as the NHL. i'm sure he played on the top line facing less skilled Dmen and goalies than he is right now. he's finding his way and if he can get 25-40 per year - there is NO reason to get rid of him - not even for an established S@H Dman.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

WhyGo:
i watched that a month or so ago - it was sick display of the talent/skill that he is

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 15, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@ lyle - if anything the cap is going down.

@ boo - Flash won't be packaged. Remember the formula: youth plus production plus low cap hit (plus signed beyond this year)equals almost untouchable. When one of those changes, then he will be more susceptible. Besides, who else is giving us consistent secondary scoring?

I see Clark, Nylander, Bradley as way ahead of Flash on the trade market. Combine these with prospects/draft pics and we can make a deal.

Remember, we can't take on a strong salary without losing one. Just another reason Flash stays here.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve: You have to go to 10th place to find a team with more goals against than the Caps in the Eastern conference.

13th place in the Western conference

Yeah, but I'm okay with that. I think it's a product of the way Bruce and the boys play their game. Caps hockey is a fast, explosive puck-possession game that doesn't let up and doesn't back down, on defense or offense. It tends to be high-risk/high-reward, requires a lot of skill to play, and doesn't leave a lot of margin for error. When we win, we win big. When we lose, we lose big. That and the goaltending issues are why you see numbers like that, and that's why the Caps are thought by many to be one of the most fun teams in the NHL to watch.

Just remember, all that matters at the end of the day is the W's and the L's. They're the only thing that decide who gets the date with Lord Stanley. The Caps have got the skill guys and the coach to get away with the six-gun style they play, so as long as we're winning, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

$$$ [cough]

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Flash is cash!!! Everyone leave him alone and let him score every night quietly... shhh!!!!

Still like Ovie, Semin and Flash on separate lines. The back of the net would get alot of work.

Posted by: dsphvywght | January 15, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Lecavelier is more rumored for MTL than BOS. Unless that guy has inside info.

I see a Tkatchuk type fitting in real well in Boston. They could use a little more grit.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I'll just be quiet and leave it to GMGM to think ahead unless Ted wants to start paying commenters on Tarik's blog.

Then we'd Really be in trouble

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't the NHL stop trying to sell hockey in warm climates where it obviously does not work and fold teams like Phoenix - Florida - Tampa - Nashville? Increase the salary cap and realign divisions.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 15, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 15, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Also, You have to go to first place to find a team with more points than the Capitals in the Eastern conference.

Posted by: redlineblue | January 15, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.: I will forever treasure the mental image of Crosby, Malkin, Bettman, and Mario in a bed together.

Just ... who gets the covers?

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Greg,
Apologies, I should have said "Sid, can I get in with you GUYS, I just had a bad dream......"

Won't happen again.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

From the previous - previous ...

playahatah:
I can't say that I feel sorry for Malkin when it comes to Ovie not being his friend anymore. I have no idea what happened between the two of them - Ovie may have a very legit beef. The entire situation is very unfortunate, but we should not stand in judgment of anyone - we don't know what the real story is.

JMU:
Read your post about homework. Unfortunately I cannot promise you a homework-free "real" world ... I have spent too many nights burning the midnight oil to say such a thing!! :-/

Posted by: Boo- | January 15, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve:

Actually I agree with you. I have a lot of faith in GMGM. When there was so much bashing of him a couple of years ago, I was not part of that. I knew he had a plan and was willing to wait and see if it worked. Of course getting OV makes it a little easier.

But I do think that they have a plan and will stick to it. It has worked so far. And that plan is to have a sustained, multi-year run at the cup.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | January 15, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. and Dave:

Four Pens in the bed and Crosby said "Roll over! Roll over!"
So they all rolled over and one fell out
Three Pens in the bed and Crosby said "Roll over! Roll over!"
So they all rolled over and one fell out
Two Pens in the bed and Crosby said "Roll over! Roll over!"
So they all rolled over and one fell out
One Pen in the bed and Crosby said "I'm cold!"

Sorry.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if this is the forum for this, but since we are all Caps fans and most of us probably go to the games, does it bother anyone else when the crowd interrupts the national anthem singer to say "O" and "red" while they are singing? It's pretty disrespectful to the anthem and also the singer who I'm sure is nervous enough trying not to mess up. Just a thought.

Posted by: McB1981 | January 15, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Boo-, It was more like a 'lie to me' situation. Sarcastic plea? Rhetorical question? I don't know. Senior capstone is starting to make me stress. The midnight oil I don't mind. I'd rather burn the midnight oil than be up with the sun anyways.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Figured I'd repost from the last thread as this maybe interesting to most.

---

One thing I'd say as someone who's fluent in Russian is that while Semin's interview may have been distorted when it was originally printed in Russian the translation into English was accurate. I read both versions.

Crosby should write Bettman a letter lobbying for a new rule which stipulates that any hit on him or Malkin is considered dirty and requires an automatic 5-minute major.

---

Noticed the bit about the word "derevyannyi". In this case it's Russian sports slang and in both soccer and hockey it's used to describe a player who has a bad first touch. In both sports you'd call a player "derevyannyi" if they have trouble receiving a pass (the ball or the puck bounces away most of the time). It's also extended to basically mean "someone without skills", kind of a hack. For example, in today's pro soccer there are a lot of players who are great athletes. They run very fast, jump very high and are very strong. But they also often lack the silky smooth ball skills and try to compensate by sheer force.

---

If I were a highly skilled player and someone (especially a fellow player in that sport) called me "derevyannyi" I'd be pretty damn pissed.

Posted by: ranndino | January 15, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

waitingsince75:
Well, I guess we will see!

JMU:
Oh, I'm sorry - yes, the real world is a breeze! No homework, no math, nothing to write ... it is all snacks, adult beverages and golf outings!! :-) (Did that help? ;-))

McB1981:
Yes, it has been discussed here many times. Surprisingly I think the discussion has been pretty split down the middle. I'm with you but there are some people who really dig it.

Posted by: Boo- | January 15, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Comeon Tarik! You could have said that he is Margarine because he is on a roll!

Get with the Stu'isms!

Posted by: Krazijoe | January 15, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Boo!, Thanks! Wait. Nap time? Do we get nap time? XD

I'm sort of okay with the "red" but the "O" is stupid to me. Of course, I prefer the original French Canadian anthem to the translated English version, too, even though I only know half of it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

Really, other than being unable to spell his name properly? I am taking wagers here, other than SA-Town, who else doesn't make the trade Lecavalier for Semin? I am glad you are not GM of the Caps SA-Town.

Posted by: atybat | January 15, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@atybat- you just got trolled, badly

Posted by: doncosmic | January 15, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@waitingsince75

I still think GMGM was lost in the wilderness way too long BUT however we got here I think he has things under pretty decent control at this time. And like he recently said, trades are hard to work, you really have to be a GM to know what options are even available for consideration.

@redlineblue

Yes, that is true too. I guess my concern is something's gotta give there. If a team can contain our O in the playoffs we don't seem to have the D to cover it.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 15, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
Nap, milk AND cookies!

Posted by: Boo- | January 15, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

atybat, I wouldn't do it either. It would only make sense financially is Semin asks for 7+ a year. We've got talented centers in Hershey that we can bring up to add to a list that already includes Backstrom, Steckel, Gordon, Laich, Nylander & Fedorov (for now). I don't see Ovie finding the same chemistry he has with #19 & #91 with #4. Would you really want to pay a second line center 7.5+ a year? I think Semin already has chemistry with the team that Vinny might take months to develop. I just don't see it happening. Too many high profile players on the top line = Senators. (BTW, congrats to the Senators for finally breaking 100 goals. Way to join the rest of the league, gentlemen!)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@McB1981: As someone who can and has sung in public in places that aren't bars, it probably doesn't bother them all that much. You've got to focus on what you're doing and what you're singing, and if you're a classically trained singer, chances are you're not listening to yourself anyway (the feel of the resonance you're creating and your positioning and so forth gives you all the information you need). I wouldn't worry too much about the singers -- but yes, the O is annoying.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Boo-, Sweet! I can't wait to join the real world! XP

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

although that line rolls every now and then, for the most part heatley, spezza, and alfreddson dont play on the same EV line.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 15, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to ask ...

In the Pens blog, who were they referring to as Bubba? Is that what they call Sid? If so, why?

Also, did anyone see the pass that Spezza made to Heatley Tue night? It was amazing! If not, check it out - it is the first highlight:

Posted by: Boo- | January 15, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil, I know they're not on the same line all the time, but often enough that they've got their own line name. Hartsburg used to love putting them together. Still a massive quantity of money to play together on one line.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

From PuckDaddy's pre-game post:

"Perhaps Jordan Staal won't seek to avenge his brother by playing a Keith Moon solo on Semin."

Oops!

Posted by: Boo- | January 15, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

i actually see vinny and ovechkin clicking pretty easily. backstrom and semin are also rfa's next year. vinny has a locked, i think, 11 year contract.

nyls/mo/+++ for vinny/mez

Posted by: richmondphil | January 15, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Unlike some of the people here, I'm a fan of multiple DC sports, and I even like Wilbon and Kornheiser, though i can't stand their ignorance of hockey. Did any of you guys hear Wilbon say tonight on national TV that if anyone said Crosby was better than OV he would come out swinging? I mean thats a hell of a statement.

Posted by: doncosmic | January 15, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl
Sorry but you have me all wrong. If I am GM of the Caps, I tell Lawton in Tampa Bay, take any 2 of my players except Ovie; take also my first draft pick for 2010 and take one more player from my 3rd line; all that for Lecavalier. Semin is way not enough for Lecavalier; the GM of Tampa would be laughing in your face. Even Backie and Green are not enough for Lecavalier.
Semin will be a nobody as soon as he signs his next big contract, mark my words.

Posted by: atybat | January 15, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

@atybat

I would never give one of Semin, or Backstrom, or Green for Levacalier, let alone two or three of them. You must be crazy. They're the core of the Caps, this team that I love. The only players I'd let go right now are Erskine and Schultz - all the rest... you're crazy :D

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

The dreaded "Mark my words" dun dun dunnnnn

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 15, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve: Agreed Caps don't want to try for a batch of 6-3 wins in the playoffs. But a) they -can- clamp down, when they have their sid together 2) they'll need a hot goalie in April, *just like everybody else* and, last, Alzner's ahead of schedule.
If the Caps could play the same six healthy Dmen for 10 games in a row, who knows how good they'd be?

Posted by: redlineblue | January 15, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@McB1981 - I don't like the "O!" or the "RED!" for the reasons you describe. It's disrespectful of the anthem, and disrespectful of (and rude to) the performer.

Besides - the "O!" thing is an Orioleism, and we're at an effing hockey game in a different city, FFS! </fume> I tolerate it at baseball games where the Orioles are playing, but I really don't like it anywhere else. It's not appropriate.

Although if someone shouts out "O!" during the National Anthem at the inauguration, I will laugh my butt off...

Posted by: irockthered | January 15, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the Boston/NYI game? NYI isn't playing the netcrashing game enough, but it looks like it'd work on Thomas.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching it... I think if they don't score soon, they're going to pay it later, when the Bruins wake up.

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was thinking the same. They need to crash the net and grab rebounds, way way more. (Caps, are you paying attention?) There were several times where if they'd managed to grab the rebound, Thomas was probably toast.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

So many of the Bruins shots have people buzzing around the net, ready for deflections or rebounds or screening... that makes that so much more dangerous... might have something to do with their standings?

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

They do, and I think it does, especially after watching last night. We're scary when we do the same.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

atybat: Are you the same guy who "marked his words" about a Capitals loss last night? I'm not going to say that Semin is a better player than Lecavalier, but he sure isn't a nobody. Semin was 2nd in points/game in the NHL last I checked - where's Vinny on that list?

*looks it up*

Oh wow, they're tied in points. And Vinny has played 16 more games.

He's a great player, but I'd rather have Semin and his charisma with my #1 player and his +21 +/- rating. I mean seriously, he's +21 with only 38 points in only 27 games. That's beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: Raber | January 15, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't see GMGM making any trades that move any player under the age of 30 who is among his top 10 players. He knows he has the nucleus of a multiple Cup winner. He knows he has some studs making their way through the minors (Carlson, Varlamov, Bourque). He will take a top 10 player if he can get it for nothing, but not if it costs him one of his top 10. So, no, Semin and Fleishmann are not going to be traded.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 15, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Bruins - If they are adept at crashing the net, as it appears that they are, then we are going to need to be very vigilant to keep them away from our goaltenders. Our goaltender (whichever it is) will need to smother rebounds and force faceoffs, and our skaters will need to be ready to get the puck out of Dodge if it comes to them. We can't afford to let the puck bounce off skates into our own goal... We've seen this happen a few times this season.

I know the Caps are a capable team, and I hope they're watching the Bruins tonight.

Posted by: irockthered | January 15, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

the Bruins suffer the sort of pressure that the Caps can put on a team though (if they play like we know they can play). Actually, any team suffer that kind of pressure lol. We need to show up with determination and will to sacrifice. Unleash the fury :D

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

@mauree - Damnstraight! Unleash the red fury! If we show up ready to bring it, and we bring it, then we will do well.

Posted by: irockthered | January 15, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@Raber: No, that was DannyBoy1975, who we haven't seen today, and won't until the next time we lose.

Chicken.

Okay, discussion topic since some of us here are hanging out flipping hockey channels. Besides the Caps, what team(s) do you LIKE and why?

I admit to having a thing for the Minnesota Wild. Boring they might be, but I like watching the discipline and set-piece style, simply because it makes a neat contrast to the wild and fast style the Caps play. I also like the Avalanche's jerseys, though not their play so much.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Exactly mauree. If we bring that kind of pressure to bear, I think we'll manage :)

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 15, 2009 3:53 PM
------------------------

THAT kicked off a funny narrative in my head, Dave. Well done! Funny stuff. We should all get together and shoot it as a Caps commercial. medium shot from over the bed, thigh level to shoulders. Arms and Jersey visible, with player number (cheat it), and voices. Get voice over actors that do good impressions (not the south park way) and sell the characters through scenario. Have Sids dialogue follow Malkins- "no, Geno, you can't sleep with me anymore,"
"Please, this time he was angry, and.."
"No! Don't tell me what it was about! I don't want him in my head anymore, Geno."
Crash edit of Ovechkin inches away, coming towards the camera.
"You're still in bed."
"Yes."
Crosby sighs. "In my dreams, he's a shark."
Geno startles. "Yeah! Mine, too!"
Black background, those two notes from Jaws only ONCE, Caps logo super imposed, nothing more.

Posted by: oo7 | January 15, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

@raber
You have the wrong guy. I am a Caps fan and I don't predict wins or loses. I do have 35 years of hockey experience including playing and coaching professional hockey in Germany and scouting for Junior Major in Quebec.
You are making judgment on a small snapshot (ie 40 games of one season). Fortunately, competent, intelligent GM like McPhee use other criteria to make decisions about trades.
I have no doubt he would trade Semin and more for Lecavalier in a heartbeat (Salary Caps permitting, of course).
This being said, I respect your opinion.

Posted by: atybat | January 15, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis is trying to get the "honk, honk, honk. Let's go Blues!" thing going on, but their "horn guy" sounds like he's got a goose with him.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

atybat:
Sind Sie Deutscher?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 15, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

"Mark my words..."
dumb dumb dummmmmmmmb

How old is Semin 24? 25? How old is Vinny? That deal ain't happnin'.

Posted by: kevbnyc | January 15, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

kittypaws, I like em all, darlin. I think Tkachuks karma sunk the blues. I think Naslund was shattered by the Bertuzzi incident. I think that Vancouver has been in the periphery ever since it happened, too. I think the instigator rule should be buried in a shallow grave, so that we may dig it up and beat it some more. I think that the Caps sans elite enforcer means a lot more people beating on Ovechkin. I love all that ferocious hitting, but if you're truly going to play a physical north American style, then you have to fight. Guys deserve the chance to face their transgressors. Ovechkin throws some big hits, he's gonna have to learn to fight. Apparently, he knows it and Brashear does, too, and so now do other teams.
I think I'm sick of New Jersey, Dallas, Detroit, Colorado, Philly, Pittsburgh and Montreal. Sickk and tired. San Jose's time is now, I like Boston, The South East is a shambles and Florida is forever doomed. Move Florida to Kansas City, Let the current ownership in Tampa trade away their biggest asset for Anson Carter and Jason Arnott so that team is expedited to Hamilton. Give Quebec City a team; THey can spend within a Cap. THey could fill their teams up with Quebecois kids that forgo the draft just to play there. Make Montreal nervous.

This is getting long.
I can't wait till I'm king.

Posted by: oo7 | January 15, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Flash wasn't too shabby at the 2008 IIHF World Championships: a respectable 2G 3A in 7 games, with an average of 12:30 minutes/game.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | January 15, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is a whole 28 years old and is locked in for 11 years.

Posted by: atybat | January 15, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@oo7

That was awesome man :D

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl: Yeah, Horn Guy messes up every now and then and it's usually worth a chuckle when he does.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 15, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, this didn't even sound like a mistake with a horn, it just sounds like he's got a hoarse goose with him. Its kinda bad.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else having problems with the site loading correctly? I get a different layout every time I refresh.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mauree : )

I haven't had any troubles, jmu.

Posted by: oo7 | January 15, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Watching the start of the Sharks game... they just scored... they're scary... they whole team move fast, in unison. 3 people forechecked, puck popped and another one scored. I love hockey :D

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

what are you guys watching?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 15, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I like les Habs. I like the Red Wings. I like Vancouver.

Posted by: kevbnyc | January 15, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Weird, its been acting up all day, but as soon as I said something, its been fine.
mauree, you're right. They are scary. Its kind of like watching a demonstration on what to do right.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah my refresh is whack too. I guess Semin for Vinny straight up, I would do.

Posted by: kevbnyc | January 15, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

jmu:
what's the link? what are you watching - sj?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 15, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Boo, yeah, SJ vs CAL. I'm using atdhe.net. Some folks said its full of viruses, but I haven't had a problem with it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

What is impressive about the Sharks is that they play the same way shift after shift, game after game. All 5 come back to defend, all 5 to attack, nobody waits for the puck to come to them. When they dump and chase, they mean it. Impressive.

Is anybody good in flash animations? It would be supercool to make oo7's short movie. I'm not good but I could give it a shot... it's too awesome lol

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Habs and Gainey's Wild always satisfy, somehow. Chicago are fun kids to watch, and nice to have another o-6 team in the mix. I'm kinda sick of Ded Things too but, they're o-6 plus Dang! they're a clinic.
Can't get excited about the San Jose hockey team. I mean, teal?

Posted by: redlineblue | January 15, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

oops Boo I'm sorry I didn't realize you were asking for the link. Yes, what jmu sent :)

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

redlineblue, The teal sweaters aren't that bad. Could be worse. Could be a Trashers third jersey.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 15, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

geez - can you tell i am having computer issues tonight? anyway, thanks guys. jmu - i have never gotten viruses from the site, but i have found that sometimes when i refresh on it, i can't get the stream back ... i have learned not to refresh no matter how choppy the picture gets!! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 15, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

too sleepy to see it to the end... too bad cause it looks like a good fame, the Flames are not at all intimidated.

Posted by: mauree | January 15, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Whoa! I leave and the game gets much more interesting.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 16, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm an Os' fan. It's always bothered me to hear the "Oh" shouted during the SSB. I don't like hearing that or the "Red" at the Caps' games, either. I'm guessing it won't be long before Nats' fans start shouting out "Red" during the SSB at Nats' games.

I'm originally from Michigan, so my other team would be the Red Wings. The local farm team was Saginaw Steering Gear.

I remember when Federov came to Detroit. I admired the guts it took to defect and move to a strange country where he didn't speak the language (Yes, you jaded cynics, the money spoke plenty loudly, but it's still an extremely difficult thing to do.) My daughter teases me about being a big fan of Federov, equating it to her and her young friends' teenybopper fandom. I've explained to her how, unlike how she and her buddies drool over the players, (She thinks both GirlieBoy and Evugly are hotties. Where did I go wrong???) I'm a bit old for crushing on hockey players, plus I knew too many in college. Given the chance, I'd like to listen to his story first hand. (I just recently left the ESL profession after 10 years. I've heard some interesting and heartbreaking stories.)

Now, about those who were busting on Kozlov.... I hope you've changed your tune by now. I wonder if there's a recipe for crow on the internet....

I'm glad Flash is pulling it together. The team needs to know the fans appreciate the efforts of all. It wouldn't be surprising to learn some of the other players harbor a bit of resentment toward the star player. Sure, he's good, but it's a group effort.

Perhaps the fans need to begin letting the team know we appreciate ALL of them

Posted by: BeemanRS | January 16, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

TARIK,

Is it possible to block the jealous Hockey nerd/a-holes from Pitt, Philly, NY, Buff, and Boston? Can WAPO set up an internet search program that recognizes certain IP addresses from the afformentioned hellhole cold and snowy, nothing else to do but watch hockey, drink beer, and spoof your Insider blog with hater posts? For a long time caps fan there are too many trolls around here. WAPO is probably too busy, I suggest diabling the comment function and just leave it to the fan sites. These idiots are so worried about the new east coast kings of hockey they've lost their mind.

Posted by: jbfromfc | January 16, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Nobody actually posted it, so I assume everyone went to bed. For those of us crazy Caps fans still up in the West though, SJ actually lost at home tonight. that makes them 20-1-2 at home. No one's invincible!

Posted by: Raber | January 16, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

@redlineblue: In sweden the faceoff is the biggest joke ever. In elitserien they drop it like the NHL, but the players either whack or run sumo into the other guy. Nothing else. The game there is all about crazy seam busting passes and less about set plays from the faceoff.

Oh and the goalies are OK straight up but Utter crap otherwise, so you just need to make the passes that go over D sticks that force the goalie to move laterally. Thus it is less about winning a faceoff and a quick stuff, more get the puck, pass it to the blueline, pass it cross ice a few times, then gently put it in the net

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 16, 2009 5:28 AM | Report abuse