Flyers Clip Caps, 2-1

The Capitals dressed one of their least experienced lineups of the preseason and it showed in 2-1 loss to the mostly-veteran Flyers. It was Washington's first defeat of the exhibition season.

Glen Metropolit and Joffrey Lupul (from Steve Eminger) notched goals for the Flyers while Nicklas Backstrom recorded an unassisted tally for the Caps, who dropped to 4-1.

After a scoreless first period, things heated up in the second.

*Grant McNeill took on Flyers' tough guy Riley Cote, although in retrospect McNeill probably wishes he hadn't. Cote made quick work of McNeill, a defenseman dressed a forward just in case Cote got a little frisky tonight. In the dressing room afterward, McNeill wasn't a pretty sight. His left eye was completely swollen shut.

*The Flyers took a 1-0 lead later in the second period on Metropolit's goal. The play began with a turnover by Alexander Semin, who attempted to chip the puck off the boards around Lupul. Lupul, however, snagged the puck and fed Metropolit in the slot.

"There were a whole bunch of guys trying to be cute and make the fancy play," Boudreau said. "If they just would make the simple play, boom, boom, we in. But trying to beat the same guy three times doesn't usually work, not in the league anyway."

*Boudreau singled out a few players for praise: Chris Bourque, Chris Clark, Karl Alzner, Jay Beagle and Sami Lepisto. Most people on pressrow and in the room agreed the Bourque had yet another solid game, even if he didn't find his way onto the score sheet.

*Johnson (22 saves) played the full 60 minutes. It sounds like Jose Theodore will get the same treatment in the final two preseason contests this weekend.

*Boudreau also said that he's planning to treat the next two exhibitions -
against the Flyers and Bruins - as dress rehearsals, with most of the star players in the lineup and the lines and pairings looking a whole lot like they will on opening night.

*One of the game's best sequences also came in the second period when, on the penalty kill, Dave Steckel (team-high five shots) broke up a pass, skated in and fired on Martin Biron (19 saves). The rebound went to Semin, who danced around and fired another shot that didn't get through to Biron. The puck again wound up with Steckel, who had an empty net. But he wasn't able to lift the puck over a sliding defenseman.

*Also in the second, Jay Beagle, who was called up from Hershey today, took exception to some pushing and shoving from Steve Downie in front of the Flyers' goal. The two dropped their gloves and exchanged blows. After landing a few jabs, Beagle appeared to gain some leverage on Downie and the Flyers' menace fell to the ice.

Downie appeared to bang his head hard. But he also twisted his leg awkwardly on the way down and had to be helped off the ice. He has a left knee strain, I'm told.

*Eminger was the surprise of the game for me. He couldn't crack the Caps' lineup, but he looked awfully good out there for the Flyers. He earned the third star and made a beautiful cross-ice, setup pass on Lupul's power play goal. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Caps are going to end up regretting that trade.

Eminger said he missed three games with a hip strain, but he's healthy now and says he might start the season in the Flyers' top-4.

"I was pretty jacked up for the game," Eminger said. "I wanted to make a good impression and I wanted to win."

*Backstrom's goal was kind of fluky. He caught a Biron out of position and snapped the puck in from a tight angle at 14:19 of the third period. Although it was too little too late for the Capitals, it was important for Backstrom's confidence to get the goal. He's still struggling a little with his sprained right ankle.

*Alex Ovechkin drove himself, Simeon Varlamov and a friend to Wachovia Center to watch last night's game. If you remember, he made a surprise visit here last preseason with Semin.

That's it for now. Practice got pushed back to 2:30 tomorrow.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 1, 2008; 10:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup in Philly (Updated)
Next: Four More Cuts (Updated)

Comments

1st!!

Posted by: rtbwin | October 1, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Kind of fluky? That was a very lucky goal. I do agree that gmgm will regret having sat Eminger all last year practically. He played very well.

Caps meanwhile couldn't shoot the puck out of their own zone most of the night. Sloppy passing, skating around in pointless directions.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Being that the return on the Eminger deal was John Carlson...they won't end up regretting it. Eminger will have a decent NHL career...but Carlson should do the same.

Push.

Posted by: strungout | October 1, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Some day I hope we find out the real reason Eminger never got a look last season.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 1, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Sombrero. At first I thought it was just because Hanlon was such a defensive coach, but then when BB came in and nothing changed.

Posted by: reekie | October 1, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone remember the Eminger who was given what 4 years to develop and still ended up in the box on a lot of stupid penalties? He is a hothead who overplays the play, gets out of position, and overreacts with a penalty (hook, hold, trip). He was almost always a negative on the +/-. Maybe he has finally matured into a decent player, but for years the Caps gave this kid a chance to prove himself, and he hardly looked much better than Doig or Kiakowski. The Caps will be better without him in the long run, esp. if Alzner steps up and replaces Erksine -- quickly.

Posted by: JIM | October 1, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

What the heck happened?!? See what happens when I don't watch/listen? I'm sorry guys - it won't happen again ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, Jim. Emmy played well towards the end there when he finally got some ice time. I thought he might actually have a shot after that. I'm not surprised to hear he played well tonight.

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Eminger will always be a lesser Mike Green to me. I think he had potential, but when he couldn't clean up in the defensive end (his actual job) his flare and occasional nice pass didn't make up for it. I agree that he should've gotten a better look last year, but I think it was time for him to go.

Posted by: Raber | October 2, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Raber:
Emmy is definitely lesser than Green, but I still don't think that he got a fair shake last season. I'm with Sombrero and Reekie - I'd love to know why.

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Just remember capitals lineup consisted of players that will end up in Hershey. Maybe that's why Eminger looked so good. BB even dressed a d man at forward thats going to end up in Hershey.

Posted by: sporttraveler | October 2, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Eminger definitely looked good last night. I’m sure he was jacked up about playing his former team.

Why do we continue to play Erskine? I know he’s big and hits, but he is a liability every time he’s on the ice. He can’t skate well enough to keep up with the play and takes bad penalties as a result. He was really struggling to clear the puck or make breakout passes last night. I realize that there has to be a physical presence on the blue line, but the little bit of toughness he adds just isn’t worth it. Maybe we can get half a roll of tape and a 7th round pick in 2040 for him.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 2, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

@ BearsWoooo

LMAO!!! haha "half a roll of tape and a 7th round pick in 2040 for him" i laughed pretty hard. I agree Erskine is dead weight, he isn;t even really a that physical presence anyways. LET ALZNER TRY OUT THE NHL!!!

Posted by: GoOVcaps | October 2, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

@ Boo! -- Maybe Eminger was ready to step-up his game towards the end of the year, last year. I think he was skating as a try-out for the rest of the league. I don't know why it took him so long to develop into an adequate blueliner, but maybe he has. I don't know if being in Washington so long and called up so early hampered his development. Given the Caps cap situation and a first round pick in exchange, I think GMGM made the right call as he picked Carlson with the pick and had just enough room to resign Green and Morrison (not to mention Federov and Theodore). Let's see how Carlson develops, the Caps gel on the blueline, and Eminger plays against the real NHL on a nightly basis before we declare the trade a mistake.

Posted by: JIM | October 2, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Erskine has never done anything for me. I'd like to see Lepisto or Alzner get a shot instead.

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

So who shows up tonight at 6 Flags? Do we make final cuts today? Can I get my Borque jersey signed? Why the hell did they change to 6 Flags anyway, it is much easier to get to the phone booth.

Posted by: Bob | October 2, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I was listening to the game last night and I heard a lot of Eminger. I will be honest, I never liked the guy. He always got stupid penalties and well, he just didn't fit the Caps team. In Philly, he seems to fit - dirty and stupid... kinda like my ex-girlfriend.

Oh well, so much for going undefeated. The season is over... looking forward to the 2009-10 season.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Jim:
I didn't say it was the wrong decision, I just think he didn't get much of a shot. He barely played at all last season - how can anyone judge his performance based on that?

Bob:
Is tonight in addition to or in place of the Spring STH event at VC? I was thinking that it was in addition to, but maybe not ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

@ Bob: I completely agree about Six Flags but I think the reason could be because the number of season ticket holders has nearly doubled and it would have been difficult to coordinate the signing tables in VC. Remember last year how long the lines were and imagine that doubling this year. That said, I don't see how Six Flags will make the event any better... it's still the same number of players signing for double the number of ticket holders.
And honestly, I'd love to go, if it were at VC I'd make an attempt, but with working out by Dulles airport then trying to get around the beltway at rush hour? FORGET IT! It's too bad :(

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 2, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

@ Boo! That's it -- I'm pulling out the whupa$$ now because you are just too nice and too reasonable, grr! In other words, if I seem to have gone for the nuke option too soon, mea maxima culpa. I agree that Eminger did not get a fair shake last year, but I also put my faith in BB (not Hanlon) that he saw Eminger as a liability. Remember BB coached Eminger from time to time in Hershey, too.

Posted by: JIM | October 2, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm going. Not because the Caps are going to be there signing autographs, but because some of the rides will be open and its free. Can't beat getting to ride some of the best roller coasters in the country with short lines to wait through.

I can get my autographs at Kettler (I work nearby) so I'll do that over the next few days now that the roster is coming down to what looks more like this year's team.

Posted by: STH Party | October 2, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

@ strungout

Last season Eminger got treated like it was management's goal was to embarrass him. To claim the return on him is Carlson, although correct, it is a bit like an attempt to justify George McPhee's big ego. When a team treats players like that the word speads around and actions like with Eminger give FA agent players a concern if considering the Capitals.
I don't claim to know, but I do question if some of the reason Huet left wasn't more than just the money. He had to see the treatment of Eminger and how Kolzig's exit was so dramatic.
The treatment of Eminger, whereas, he couldn't get answers from the coach or GM as to why he was constantly scratched, with a "we got Carlson with that pick - so it's a push" is ignoring one of the problems we have in the front office. Our GM and his ego. I agree with the Sombrero Guy that some day it would be nice to know the reason. As it would be from Oates, Jagr, Bondra, and Kolzig. However, in my opinion it's rather obvious.

Posted by: Seravat Holdings | October 2, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!:

I believe (but can't confirm) this is in place of. Me and Mrs. 117 will be there.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 2, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Please send Ted an email if you would rather they change back to the phone booth. This is it! This is the season ticket holders party, once a year, most of the time in the fall, occasionally in the spring, but only one

Posted by: Bob | October 2, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

@828 - I nearly spit up my water reading the comparison about Emmie and your X gf. LMAO.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 2, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Seravat Holdings

Maybe Eminger was a PoS. The guy got bad penalties and made stupid decisions and was on the bench in some other place besides the VC. We may see the same result from Erskine soon. Maybe Eminger had a bad attitude. Either way, it's pretty much BB's option to start a player - GM can only say yay or nay, but I doubt he fiddles with BBs decisions too much. Who cares about Eminger anyways? He is a Flyer now. Ovechkin is the best player in the world and he doesn't seem to have a problem with GM - so, I'll ask, what's the problem?

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

@ Seravat Holdsing -- So if the Caps are so terrible to skate for because they mistreated Oates, Kolzig, Bondra, and Eminger, then why did Green, Morrison, and OV all resign? They could have gone elsewhere -- easily. Why did Federov decide not to retire? Why did Nylander turn down the NYR and Oilers? Why did JT sign here and not elsewhere? Did you notice how much more money Chicago threw at Huet? I'm sorry, but your argument holds about as much water as a butterfly net.Eminger was let go because he did not fit in with the Caps system and personnel and because the Caps had very little room up against the cap if they were going to resign Green, Morrison, and Federov, plus get a goalie.

Posted by: JIM | October 2, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

If they get rid of Erskine, who is going to send me sailing over the glass and take dealy of game penalties at the worst possible times?

Posted by: The Puck | October 2, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

The Puck,

That was a good one, but I think Poti will take care of that...

Seravat Holdings is Chief...

I could care less about those other players... they are old - this is the new Caps.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Who thinks Eminger was GOOD?

GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH!

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd be wary of trading away 2040 picks - that year's draft is expected to be deep.

Posted by: Stormblue | October 2, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

It seems like many of the young guys trained hard this summer and came to camp in top-notch condition (Bourque, Beagle, Alzner). I think Erskine actually got SLOWER during the offseason. Where did he train over the summer - Pizza Hut?

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 2, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Lets See,..Oates, old, got 3 picks for him, Jagr...no explaination needed, (wonder if there is good gambleing in Siberia), Bondra....wanted shot at cup and was asked if he wanted to be traded, also getting old, Kolzig, old, but did want to keep playing, see how long he last in TB and was not going to the Goalie this team needed to win a cup imo.
Other than Jaggie, all were pretty much finished but wanted to keep playing beyond their years. Sports is like that, most you have to kick out the door.

Posted by: Rich C | October 2, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

How is it possible for Erskine to be any slower than last season?

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Eminger did okay when he played. My bigger problem is that GMGM waited so long to do something. Keeping 8 D was stupid and GMGM was apparently paranoid about losing Eminger on waivers and getting nothing in return. When you would rather call up Lepisto than play Eminger, you need to trade the guy for whatever you can get.

Posted by: tallbear | October 2, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Seravat Holdings | October 2, 2008 8:54 AM

um, are you suggesting that jagr, oates and bondra were mistreated by this GM? yeah, lets review. oates and bondra were traded to contenders in exchange for prospects (ouilette from philly for oates-wow, what a flame out; and brooks laich for bonzai from ottawa). sounds like gmgm did them a favor when they obviously were not part of the teams future plans. jagr?? please tell me you are kidding. and kolzig. i think the whole team fumbled that one, starting from the top w/ ted. olie shares some blame too.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 2, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

@bearswoo and Jill,

Actually Eskine has lost a little weight and is in the best shape of his life. The lost weight (about 10 lbs) has made him faster and more mobile.

This according to BB at Kettler last week.

Posted by: kenwood | October 2, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't mean he is worthy of making the team, I'm just sayin'.

Posted by: kenwood | October 2, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The problem is that we have noone else on D who will clear the crease and fight like the lumberjack. Who is going to take that role, the sarge? I don't think so.

Posted by: kenwood | October 2, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I think Eminger had the same problems as Pettinger. You get into a rut at a given location and its hard to break out. Eminger could have played top 6, but its not like he would have been a massive net improvement vis a vis Erskine (who I think stinks, but is big and physical) or Juice who is servicable at best. They go to a new place and do well if for no other reason than the excitement of a new job encourages them to give just that little more effort and more time. How well could Eminger play when he played twice a month (maybe), which in addition to the rust the allows, the constant back of the head thinking "Ok, can't screw this up or I won't play again soon." That's no way to play well.

Agree that Carlson will be pretty good if we don't rush him (like we did Eminger).

Posted by: old time hockey | October 2, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It makes no sense that Eminger was misused that way, by both Hanlon and Boudreau (which makes me think that there was something going on behind the scenes between Eminger and GMGM -- even though it's a cut-throat business, I think it's fairly uncommon to earn that kind of obvious ire if not named Jagr/Briere).

But, as has already been said, if Carlson turns out to be Mike Green 2, then I'm happy with the trade.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 2, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else going to the game tomorrow?

Posted by: Jordan | October 2, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Seravat Holdings is just upset that the Caps won't be drafting Tavares next season. Guy really wanted his son to play with Ovie, but now it doesn't look like its going to happen and he's bitter. Ignore the rantings.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 2, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I won't be at Six Flags either, when I first saw the e-mail I was like WTF? Could it be any less convenient...I already spend a minimum of 90 minutes in my car just going to and from work. To spend more drive time for ANYTHING it's really gotta be worth it. A ghetto amusement park on a chilly evening doesn't fit that bill.

Then again, I haven't gone to the STH party at the VC since 2002 I think. Just not an autograph person, and I didn't like that they moved it to mid-season. At least it's back in October. But yeah, way too inconvenient.

Besides, I don't want to miss the pearls of wisdom from Sarah Palin tonight!

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"And Six Flags is way, way too far away for a Thursday night party that starts at 6. What were they thinking? I can't go tonight."

No kidding... nothing like jumping on the beltway at 5:30 to fight your way out to 6-flags.

My ticket rep indicated the phone booth was no longer large enough to hold such an event... maybe... but if that's really a concern then divide it in to two sessions on the same night.

I think this event is a general pain in the butt for the organization and this allows them to check the block.

Too many STH? I guess there are worse problems to deal with...

Posted by: Dave in Alexandria | October 2, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey Jill..

Can I borrow whatever your season ticket proof is for STH events? I'd be willing to send a dollar or two your way..

I'm a big autograph guy.

Posted by: Jordan | October 2, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Erskine/Jurcina and Alzner/Lepisto were paired together for a reason? To see who really wants to start in the NHL or to see how those pairings will fair in Hershey??? Not a big Erskine fan and still want to clobber Milan for that stupid pass in the playoff game.

Really bummed that the party is at Six Flags tonight. Not a very fan friendly location for us STHs that live down 95 South. I so wanted Fed's autograph (and had a coaster ride with Semin all planned out too). Whoever goes must report back on which Caps scream like girls on the big rides.

Posted by: Kim | October 2, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Kenwwod

You're right about the Sarge, He's not clearing any creases any time soon. I think that's why we'll be stuck with the Lumberjack. We don't really have much of a physical force on D.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 2, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Oops, that's Kenwood not Kenwwod. Damn these new fingers. They're so unresponsive!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 2, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Hi Jordan - Sorry but it's already spoken for...if you still have my e-mail address hit me up nice and early next time. :)

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, I'm looking forward to the six flags thing tonight. It makes sense too. At the phone booth, you had autograph tables and a couple of moon bounces. At six flags you have roller coasters and a lot more to offer fans who don't want to wait in line for 45 minutes for an autograph.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Are you guys getting beers before the game somewhere? Yeah Six Flags on a Thursday, no thanks. I should have given my passes to someone else.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 2, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jill!

No way I could have went tonight anyhow.

Posted by: Jordan | October 2, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@MNMNT

Hit me up. blwiseass @ yahoo dot com

I know some people who might be willing to pick up your extra passes

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

What does it say about the Flyers that a guy who was a 7th defenseman here can be a top 4 defenseman in Philly?

Posted by: Joe | October 2, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Listened to BB's speak after game and two things stuck out in what he said.

1.) Filthy played their entire team where as we were missing about 2 1/2 lines and had out back up goalie in. He wasn't making excuses but he did say that lack of experience playing together was a cause of a few bad plays.

Translation: We only lost 2-1 against the full Flyers team. Wait till Friday.

2. He made the point to say #8 wasn't out there which shows absolute respect for the young'n. And he is right, even missing most of the lineup, you take out #8 and its a totally different game.

Translation: #8 will be turned lose for good on Friday and we are bringing the big guns out. Also, watch for #87 to ABSOLUTELY manhandle Cote for what he did. I don't know much about this MacNeil kid but Cote is a heavyweight and it seems there is a code that was broken here.

Posted by: 94 | October 2, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with it being at Six Flags -- I have a problem with it being an hour away on a Thursday at 6. If it had been a Friday night or Sunday afternoon thing, two weeks ago, I would've been all over that, but now it's going to be just cool enough to make it uncomfortable to be outside and have the wind ripping past my face as I ride roller coasters. Not to mention the fact that it's DC rush hour traffic. If I could take the Metro to Six Flags -- well, actually, I still probably wouldn't go tonight, I'm interested to see the VP debate.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

According to my source, Emminger could only play the right side. When he was needed, and when it called for a right side defensemen, they would use him. But he took stupid penalties, was often out of position, and did not have that great of a work ethic. Plus, unless he was poised to be a top 4 defensemen, the Caps really no longer had a need for him. They have some great prospects in the system, and our needs of a stand-up defensive defensemen didn't fit with his skill set. Perhaps he'll do well in Philly, but I lump this in with the Zubrus trade: down the road, as upset as people may get with it, it won't mean a thing

Posted by: Leeguru | October 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Eminger is garbage and he was never real impressive. He fits in nice with Philly bc he is sort of a retarded bulldog. He's mean but he cant figure out how to stop pissing on his back legs.

Anyone have an extra ticket for Friday's game?

Posted by: 94 | October 2, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Eminger is fine, but I have a feeling that John Carlson is going to be better so the trade will be worth it. I agree that Emmy should have gotten more time on the ice last year though.

Posted by: matt | October 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Six Flags sucks - I went on that water ride - the one with the big raft "tallest raft ride in the world'???... Basically, I could have bought the same ride at Home Depot.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

What's the deal with Six Flags? I never received an email but got my voucher in the mail. What players will be there?

Anyone interested in using my voucher if I can't?

KD'

Posted by: KKD | October 2, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I think Emminger had a couple of lackluster seasons here, but I also think he have a strong playoff series against the Flyers last season. I agree with Tarik. I think we will regret that trade. I think Emmy might be on the verge of a breakout season.

Posted by: Griz | October 2, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Personally, as you all probably know I think erskine is great, a freakin lumberjack. Yes he is not a top 4 defenseman, but he hits and clears out the crease which is what we need. And for the people who say give lepeisto a chance instead of the lumberjack, come on...you're better than that

Posted by: stevo | October 2, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

and yes "the donald" will manhandle cote on sunday like he does every time

Posted by: stevo | October 2, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for that. I hope they do it off the opening faceoff. I love it when Don sets the tone that way.

Posted by: Jordan | October 2, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I see that the "speak no evil" lemmings are out in full force! It's tough to be critical of a GM when things have gone "so right" the last decade. ;o)

@ old time hockey
There is no doubt that Eminger was in a rut and the comparison to Pettinger is a good one. Possibly Eminger and Pettinger never amount to too much but the post I made only addressed how he was treated when he ASKED why he wasn't playing. Hanlon gave him no answer and told him to talk to McPhee. Think about that a minute and ask yourself why he answered him that way. Then, he goes to McPhee and still doesn't get an answer. That's all I'm commenting on. They just buried him to the bench and there is no doubt he was rusty. Again, in my opinion we fans don't get enough news about what's going on and second, it looks like some players are treated the same way. Don't forget the, Hanlon, McPhee backed up by Kolzig situation when they took AO to task for not playing defense in this paper. Just personal personnel decisions that seem to be made without thought.

This is @ some of you who respond like Ted is going to award brownie point tickets to the best Lemming. Think a little bit before you post comment. There's nothing wrong with comment if it's thought-out before posting it. If you think Eminger was treated fairly, say so. If you think management responded fairly when he asked why he wasn't playing don't complain when your boss doesn't give you answer's. This is a first round draft pick who possibly doesn't have the talent to play or as a few have said, because he sat so long, couldn't play up to the level. Whatever, he wasn't given an explanation. If that's acceptable to you - then, I understand.

Posted by: Seravat Holdings | October 2, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I dont think Emminger is going to be top 4 anywhere, he'll most likely be 5 or 6 in Philly.

As for Philly only winning 2-1, even though they had a full lineup, would it make sense for a team with almost a full lineup to go out and play at 100% in a preseason game against mostly prospects? I wouldnt want to risk injury.

Im thinkin at the booth we will see both teams in regular season form.

Hey 94, a code was broken because Cote beat an inexperienced fighter? Its not like he jumped him from behind, it was a mutual fight and Cote won

Posted by: JD | October 2, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Kubina is available

Posted by: aig ceo | October 2, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

on Eminger

I'm not so sure we'll regret trading him, as Carlson was very impressive. Fortunately with Carlson we can be patient and won't have to rush him up to the big show.

Had Eminger been given more time in Hershey before throwing him into the Caps lineup, the outcome may have been different. I think a change of scenery was just what the doctor ordered for him. He played pretty well in the playoffs for us, but I still think he'll have a tendency to take dumb penalties, which means he'll fit right in with the Flyers.

I still would like to hear what was said behind closed doors last season. But that's just because I am nosy.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

tarik, or anyone

do you know if giroux, beags, and gordo got sent down last night? also do you think mcniell will get sent down sooner rather then later?

Posted by: ben b. | October 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

has anybody found video of the fights from last night?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm fine getting rid of Eminger, but these justifications don't make sense. In 20 games played last year, he had a whopping 8 minutes of PIMs. The year before in 68 games he had 63 PIMs.

Erskine, on the other hand in 51 games played last year had 96 PIMs. The year before with 29 games played has 69 PIMs.

If you want to talk about taking penalties, sit Erskine and play Eminger. Then ditch Erskine, bring in Carlson when he's ready.

I don't think there's any argument that Eminger has better hockey skills than Erskine.

I think Eminger showed us at the end of the year and last night as well that he can clear the crease as good as anyone. They sat the wrong guy last year.

Sorry, Stevo.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Seravat Holdings,

I find it completely acceptable on how Eminger was treated. It's a professional sport - not a day care center. It happens everywhere - look at Cooke in Vancouver.

If Eminger played like a first round draft pick, then he would get treated like one.

Here is my thoughts on the whole Eminger situation... Eminger is not a Capital anymore - who cares?

See, Im more of a who cares about the past kinda guy. I would rather deal with what's happening now and what's ahead, then to dwell on the past. That's just me. "Worrying is like a rocking chair - it's something to do, but it gets you no where."

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Which is exactly why we're all wondering if Eminger didn't dip his pen in the company ink, somehow -- it just doesn't make sense.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 2, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Greg S,
Eminger fits in as a Flyer - not a Capital.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Heck, watch Kolzig shut us out when we play Tampa Bay...
Does that mean it was a mistake - no, it means the guy has something to prove. Look at Metro... he got a goal last night and I believe he scored a goal for them in the playoffs.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

STOP THE GMGM BASHING!!!!!!!

Posted by: david poile | October 2, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Metropolit was a Bruin last year, was he not?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 2, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Re: Emmy

He's gone. Who cares. Carlson has looked pretty good so far. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: Steve R | October 2, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, those of you who are complaining that it's inconvenient. For those of us on the Maryland side of the Beltway, getting to Kettler isn't exactly a picnic.

Also - fight the Beltway? If you know where you're going, you don't need to touch the Beltway. Route recommendation for DC/Virginia folks: Take New York Avenue outbound and veer right where it splits into 50 and the BW Parkway. That'll put you on 50 East, take 50 East to 301 South, 301 South to 214 West. 301 South can get a little tied up, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Wilson Bridge. Six Flags will be on your right about 3 miles down; it's kind of hidden from that direction.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 2, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Also, see you lot at Six Flags tonight. Who'll ride front car of the Batman with me?

Posted by: this space for rent | October 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Am bummed. Had to give away my tickets to tonights function. 6:30 in Bowie...? That just sucks.

Posted by: Steve R | October 2, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, Kettler is Metro-accessible...

Posted by: Jill | October 2, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

@this space for rent - Great point. For many of us Marylanders, six flags is more convenient than Ketler or Verizon Center. Heck I travel a good 75 minutes each way for every game I go to.

I will not be bringing the lucky Sombrero tonight though. Its way too valuable to risk losing at a theme park.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero, it would have been cool to get pics of you in the front car of Batman with your sombrero on... Again, dissapointed! What kind of Caps fan are you? If I were to go, I would have my painted Ultimate Weagle on, a tight red wrestler banana hammock, no shirt, and blue and white strings on my arms! But, I am not going.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

DrinkingPartner...
Metropolit, I dont know who he was on, for some reason, I thought he was on the Pens as well... then I thought he was on Philly, but anywho, I remember him having a good game against us and scored an important goal

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Metropolit had 2 assists against the Caps on Jan 3 in a 2-0 loss to Boston. Maybe that is the game I remember - who knows.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Has Metropolit played for every NHL team yet? His next stop may be a stint with the Charleston Chiefs

Posted by: Reggie Dunlop | October 2, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I know its only pre-season, and there are alot of variables. Our team (including the defence) has given up 10 goals in 5 games. If we do that on a season long basis, our D will be just fine. Alot of people want to ship out Erskine,Juice, Schultz, Poti.....I have faith in the guys we have and the coaches that coach them.
Is it regular season yet?????

ROCK the RED!!

Posted by: Capsfannimiss | October 2, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@ JIM
yeah why did Green and OV sign?!? They are young and haven't been around long enough -- why didn't Huet sign?!? GMGM is not as great as some people think -- look at our record and how did we upgrade our weakest spot this year?? our D?

and did anyone see the BS in the Toronto Sun with Don Cherry calling OV a flash in the pan?

Posted by: capsgary | October 2, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

capsgary,

Our D was our weakest spot last year? Nope. Weakest spot was goalie. Johnny did ok in a back up role, but Olie just plain sucked. We upgraded at the trade deadline with Huet. You don't consider Theo an improvement over Olie...?

We don't need to upgrade our D from outside the farm system. The youngsters coming up should do OK and save a ton in cap space compared to signing a "savior" d-man to come in.

Posted by: Steve R | October 2, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

and the STH event should have been split up into 2 days to give people a chance and not at ^ flags -- I'm letting the family go without me -- how can you get autographs and ride the rides?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone is calling GMGM great. He just isn't the 'fly in the ointment' like other people have been saying.

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@Capsgary-

Ya I saw that. Never cared much for Cherry anyway. To be honest, I like that the Caps aren't really getting their props. With expectations being so low- it makes it that much easier to exceed them. Plus- pretty much everyone that follows Caps hockey (everyone on this board) knows what kind of season we are going to have. So I say let the Cap bashing continue- we know it's gonna be a hell of a season...

Posted by: Fro | October 2, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

They should have kept the STH event at VC - not convenient for many of us, but at least it is central.

Sombrero:
Sounds like you are going to be hooked up with an extra ticket, after all?!? :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Amusement parks are indeed a bit trashy...but jeez, I haven't ridden a coaster in years and I think it will be hilarious good fun. I wonder if the players' insurance policies will even let them near a coaster...

I'm a new STH, are the autograph lines really horrible? I'm trying to depress my expectations so I'm not disappointed. I just want Greenie to sign my jersey.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Posted by: 411 | October 2, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Metro was a Bruin last year, but he has said in a few interviews he didnt think he got a fair chance in Washington. I bet he still has something to prove to both the caps and the B's

Posted by: Grape8 | October 2, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

411:
If you are only looking for 1 autograph, you should be fine. Besides, they usually sit 2-4 guys together so you get them all at once. Just get there early so that you can get in your desired line before the masses! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S.

By saying this:

I assume you realize the only way we got Carlson was because we traded Emmy to get a better pick. We would not have a scenario of Emmy and Carlson on our team.

For every game I go to in DC I travel 500 miles round trip. I just get to go to as many. :)

That is just jealousy speaking folks.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | October 2, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, should have said I just don't get to go to as many. :(

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | October 2, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

How about Dave in UK - he has to travel 3,000 miles to see a game. Or something like that... one way!

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

For whoever was looking for the McNeill/Cote fight:
Looks like McNeill never got a punch in?!?

Beagle, however, took Steve Down-ie:

Posted by: Boo! | October 2, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

That clip, which looks to be posted by a Flyers fan, cut out the three or four solid solid punches that McNeil landed at the very beginning of the fight. Yes, it was downhill from there, but he tagged Cote pretty good early on.

Posted by: Jordan | October 2, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 828 | October 2, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Boo! Beagle really pummeled the big ugly flyer bully.

Posted by: uncatim | October 2, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Good find on the fight videos Boo!

For those who haven't clicked yet, turn your sound down unless you want to hear a shrieking female flyers fan.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 2, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Any whooping Steve Downey takes is cool with me.

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | October 2, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Capsgary -- OV, Green, Morrison, Semin, Nylander, and Federov (missed those last four, didn't you, eh?) all signed because they like the Caps organization, where's it going, Kettler, cool owner, and that it's in DC. Huet signed in Chicago for huge bank. What role did GMGM play? He got them to sign for an affordable amount and picked/traded for some talented players. Carlson will most likely be good in the not too far future and signing Eminger would have made the Caps have to chose between signing Green or Morrison, not both. In my book, I'd rather have Mo Green (how's that for a Godfather reference?).

Posted by: JIM | October 2, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

QUESTION ON ALZNER

It sounds exciting to think we have a new and impactful top-6 Dman in Alzner. But in reality, is he a few years off?

Is it too soon to give him a roster spot? Opening night jitters, gets toasted for a goal or two, confidence busted goes to Hershey with tail bw the legs.

They say its important to bring Dmen along slowly in the NHL and nuture confidence with a few years in the AHL. But for those of you who's seen more of him than I have, does he break that mold?

Posted by: Justbrewit | October 2, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I am right with you on Eminger. I never understood why he didn't play over pylons like Erskine and Jurcina last year and I hated that trade!

Sapper

Posted by: Sapper | October 2, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Justbrewit...

I have played hockey since I was 3 or 4 so I feel as if I have a good grasp on the game and what it takes. I am not going to say I am a pro scout but I have been to as many practices, games, etc. as anybody (maybe except for Jschon) in the last 3 to 4 year.

That being said, there are two ways to look at this situation and they are logical and black and white.

Alzner, although a great talent, I believe still 6 months to a year away. Why stick him with Juice/Erskine/Lepisto for 10 to 12 minutes a game for a cool 2.5 million against our cap? Is that the right way to bring up a prospect that everyone but me and you think is ready? With a top 5 pick with this much ability, why not let him be the big fish in a little pond and stay wet rather than a small fish in a big pond and has to take water breaks. Doesn't make much since to me.

Down in Hershey, we have a great system and with Godfrey done there, they will dominate. He will get 22 to 25 mins a night there honing his skills. If an injury happens, bring him up. Its not a long drive.

Point is, he can't crack the top 4 yet I dont think unless he is looking better than Schultzie and I don't see that.

Posted by: 94 | October 2, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 94 | October 2, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@94

Forget the cap, I'm just skeptical of throwing in a v young talented defensemen into a pressurized NHL Cup-chasing situation when he could get so many more minutes and experience with da bears. So Im with ya here, just hear a lot about his potential to make the team this year, and without having seen a lot of him, its hard to tell if its for real or more irrrational exuberance.

Posted by: Justbrewit | October 2, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

94 and Just brewit get it. It makes sense on a number of levels to let Alzner start in Hershey and then be brought up later. He needs the minutes to continue his growth and he won't get enough with the Caps at the start. That is the biggest reason to put him in Hershey. The future near and far has not looked this good in a long time. Go Caps!

Posted by: Mark | October 2, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

This is late, but yes, Fox is on crack with those picks.

Posted by: JIM | October 2, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse