Flyers Edge Caps in OT

Was there any doubt that this thriller would go to overtime?

Danny Briere wished himself a happy birthday by knocking in a rebound in extra time, giving the Flyers a 6-5 victory over the Caps in what could be an early candidate for one of the most wildly entertaining games of the season.

After one nil-nil period, the Caps and Flyers went on a scoring spree in the final 40 minutes, punctuated by two-goal nights for the Alexes and a hat trick from Philadelphia's Mike Richards.

Coach Bruce Boudreau yanked goalie Semyon Varlamov after he allowed four goals in the second period and replaced him with Jose Theodore, who kept the Caps in the game but ultimately gave up the winner 3:52 into overtime.

Side note: Alex Ovechkin now has three points in all three of his games thus far -- safe to say he's on pace for world domination 70 goals.

Back to where it went wrong tonight, what do you think was the biggest factor in the first loss of the season?

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 6, 2009; 10:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup: Caps at Flyers
Next: Flyers 6, Caps 5 (OT)

Comments

I vote that you add "Poor Refereeing" because, as restated by the Versus recap: "And on the powerplay the Flyers come back" x2, at least

Posted by: mrszilla | October 6, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

varley gave up two softies to richards - the second one was soft, the third one for the hat trick was really bad ridiculous and he deserved to get yanked for that one. ..theo was solid ...the game winner wasn't his fault. .. . he deserves the start on thursday night. ...and before everyone starts, schultz was perfectly good tonight. ... and erskine continues to be really good for us this year. .. .and our first line is awesome, even pronger/timonin couldn't stop them ...8 more points for OV/Nicky/Sasha!!! any night you come out of philly with a point is a good night. . .

Posted by: madmax521 | October 6, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay, LOL at the "world domination" crack. Thanks for the mood lightener!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 6, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I repeat, the 3/4 defensive pairing was bad. Especially the game-winner, both had backs turned and looking at goalie instead of PLAYING THE MAN. All Poti or Ersk had to do was stand each at one post and either could've kept Briere from scoring on what amounted to a Cindyesque tap in for the win.

More than the dumb penalties and the stupid play by Varly on the 4th goal...someone needs to teach the defense to stand up and eyes forward in front of the goal. Play the d@mned man and let the goalie corral the rebound.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 6, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, lots of teachable moments I guess. Going back to last year's series against the Pens, I hate to see little guys from the opposing team (Cindy, Briere) stand unchecked next to the goal. Not good, Erskine, but he was not alone tonight.
Semin's first goal was ridiculous. The Flyers defender (Coburn?)isn't going to be happy seeing that as a Sportcenter play of the day.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

stupid penalties and worse refs. how was laich called for interference at 13:38 of the 2nd? cheap.

Posted by: daddy_axe | October 6, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1 - I think our D knows how to play. There is only so much you can "play the man" before it is called interference. The Flyers just won the battle.

Posted by: gonchpup | October 6, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Reposting from previous thread:

Will Neuvy be ready next year? Or are we going to be faced with the dilemma of whether or not to sign Theodore again?
Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 6, 2009 10:06 PM
---------------------------
CapsFan75:
Last season Neuvy spent time in Washington, Hershey, S. Carolina, and Czech Republic. Once he settled into the job in Hershey he came up HUGE in the playoffs. This current injury (strained hip flexor) is supposedly mild and he'll be back on the ice soon. A full season in Hershey will go a long way toward getting him ready to step into the job in DC next season if not sooner.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 6, 2009 10:15 PM

Posted by: tess2201 | October 6, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

the "penalty" on laich should have been cross checking on the flyers.

Posted by: caps512 | October 6, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me?? The Flyers weren't that good tonight. If it weren't for the cheap calls from the refs, this would have been an easy win. To go to OT in a hostile home opening against a tough opponent says a lot about the Caps. They didn't cave, didn't bck up at all. Watching the first 3 games this season, there's absolutely no team I am scared of playing.

Posted by: Andoy | October 6, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Andoy - Agreed!

Posted by: gonchpup | October 6, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I like our offense but we had too many penalties (some were pretty weak calls). I hate to say it already but we will have a tough time keeping the net cleared out in front of our goalie. We still need some toughness on our defense. We couldn't clear out wimpy little Briere???? In order to go deep into the playoffs we'll eventually have to improve our defense. Other than that, it's a long season and LOVE THOSE CAPS!!!!

Posted by: jmcale57 | October 6, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Erskine, Poti, Schultz, Jurcina out.

Alzner, Carlson, Pothier, Sloan in.

I cant take this. Erskine was absolutely terrible today and so was Poti.

I feel bad for Theo, he played well and I dont think Varly was that bad.

Posted by: digster1013 | October 6, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup: If there's one thing the Caps aren't good at, it's keeping the crease clear. Not two years ago; not last year; and not against the Leafs or Flyers.

I'm not saying to interfere, I'm saying the defenders have to watch the play. Instead, three players (Theo, Ersk and Poti) were all looking in the crease for the puck. Meanwhile, Danny Boy flipped it into an open net. Just like Cindy did about five times last spring.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 6, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Show of hands - before the start of the season, looking at the Caps schedule with away games at Boston and Philly, who predicted more than 3 points in the first 3 games? Not me. There are things to work on, but there is no reason to think the Caps are anywhere but in the top level of the NHL.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

two CHEAP goalie interference penalties led to two Flyers goals. the second one on Laich was just absurd!

and we got too cute on the last PP of the game that spilled into OT. we shoulda scored there.

I'm glad we were able to score that much on Philly though. that's a good sign. and I think with our regular 'D' pairings (and w/out the BS penalties) we win that game.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 6, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

The way the game was being called, Esrkine didn't want to touch Briere coz he would've gotten a 10 minute major misconduct plus a 20 game suspension.

Posted by: Andoy | October 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

The goalie interference call on Clark and the similar call on Laich were both awful calls. What happened to letting them play hockey? The refs completely made way too many calls in this game. Everytime I turned around they had their arms up.

Posted by: Pbonds | October 6, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Homer: we just want to push people around, act tough, then we get world domination
Lisa: World domination, Dad?
Homer: Just kidding Lis. (Mental Note: the girl knows too much!!!)

Posted by: bukaki23 | October 6, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan75:

I may be interested in those tickets...could you please email me with dates and price... (oleegoalee at hotmail dot com)

Thanks!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | October 6, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I will preface this by saying that I did not see any of the game tonight (second jobs are SO much fun...), but, given the schedule so far (two tough road games plus one home game and the fact that it is a long season, I'm pretty happy with getting five of a possible six points.
I am sure that many of you remember the horrible starts in the past years. If they can come out strong the first ten games and begin the separation process, this team will do just fine.

Posted by: TimDz | October 6, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

The problem with this game is that all the things that concern a caps fan shaky goaltending, not clearing the crease that were present last year are still in play this year.. so what now. these things need to be addressed otherwise this team may win a round or two but not the cup.

Posted by: samb99 | October 6, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

There were a lot of bad calls. About half of them against each team. I've come to expect it.

Posted by: unstablefan | October 6, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

POST GAME THOUGHTS:
A classic matchup of two of the elite Eastern Conference teams and what a game tonight!!!! It definitely was great to see.

However, Philadelphia can thank the NHL and those two ridiculous jokes of referees tonight. There was no excuse for some of the penalties they called in the 2nd period. It disrupted the flow of the game. The call on Laich after being pushed into the net? Are you kidding me?

Weird bounces: Well that game tying goal can't get any flukier can it? Lots of weird bounces.

Offense - unstoppable and loved the world domination point Lindsay LMAO - great one.

@Madmax521 - gotta disagree with you on Varly tonight. The softies to Richards?? C'monnnnn. The second one hits a skate - changing direction and the Caps turn it over and the puck takes a weird bounce out with little time to react. It was a good play by Richards to go up high. Don't fault Varlamov - fault Semin for not clearing the puck up.

As for Schultz - he wasn't perfect. I've never been sold on him and he didn't do anything to change my mind tonight. He didn't get worse either. I'd take Sloan over him. Erskine had his ups and downs - screened Varly on the one PP goal. His physical presence is great and overall he has been solid. Still worried about his lack of speed and potentially getting beat to the puck.

I still think the Caps PK is solid - YOU CAN ONLY DO SO DAMN MUCH WHEN YOU'RE DOWN A MAN FOR WHAT FELT LIKE AN ENTIRE PERIOD!!!!! But I digress.

Plain and simple: This team is a machine. They will be fine. I'd like to see Varly back in net on Thursday and put Theo in for Detroit on Saturday. Just my thought. Back to the phone booth for the men in blue.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS

Posted by: Jonathan6 | October 6, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

tominfl - I disagree. Briere's goal was the only one scored against them that way tonight. Also, you have to look for the puck - if you don't see it and impede one of their players who DO see it and are making a play for it, it will be called interference. Also, in a situation such as this, some of the responsibility goes to our forwards, particularly the center. We have Knuble, Laich, and Clark to score the same type of goals. Sometimes the other team just gets it done.

Posted by: gonchpup | October 6, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

how can you not vote "too many penalties"

Posted by: sroessle | October 6, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Erskine being on ice for five goals tonight, way solid.

Posted by: Section117 | October 6, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

four goals and two on the PK

Posted by: _stevo | October 6, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

how about anything on poti 117? -2 and 2 on the PK plus directing 2 in the net

yeah but he's off the hook

Posted by: _stevo | October 6, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

To all the fair-weather fans out there.... we are 3 games into the season, and are 2-0-1. Playing some good hockey (2 in tough arenas), and the criticism is already flying. Give these guys a break if they make a mistake or 2. It's the game!!! Moan and groan if we were 0 - 3 and floundering on our asses. Maybe you should join a needle-point club...

Posted by: gonchpup | October 6, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

i'm all in support of varly but i still think he needs time in the AHL.honestly,i think neuvy should be givin the chance to be number 1 more than varly.neuvy was solid when we called him up just as much as varly.then went on to be the mvp of the ahl playoffs.i just think he should be givin more the chance than varly.i see him being our #1 goalie in the end.watch! caps had this game won if not for the bad penalties and scoring on our own goal.so with that i'm glad to come away with a point and still think the caps are unstopable.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | October 6, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I THOUGHT ERSKINE AND POTI WHERE HORRIFIC.

Posted by: gratefuldid | October 6, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup: I just went and watched the replay again. My bad on Poti - on the game winner, he is properly pushing his man away from the crease. Erskine though in my book gets full blame for both losing sight of the puck and losing track of his man (Briere). A defenseman always has to play the puck or the man; Ersk did neither.

Unlike others, I didn't see the penalty calls as being so bad. On the one to Laich, my initial reaction was it almost looked like Brooks jumped up and pushed the goal out of the moorings. Some of the penalties I just didn't see for whatever reason (Ovie call and Ersk high stick were away from the play). The play by Gordo was lazy. Green's Xcheck was dumb. Call on Clark I guess was the one that baffled me as I saw nothing.

Caps are a very good team but they aren't Detroit Red Wings dynasty kinda good. They could win the Cup with luck (like Pens did last year). You want to dominate and win you must have Robinson-Potvin-Stevens-Lidstrom-Chelios-Bourque-Blake-Neidermayer or Pronger on the blueline. At least Wesley. I guess the worst defensive team to win the Cup in NHL history would be Tampa in '04. Is our D at least that good?

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 6, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Boy I would love to vote, but I have DirecTV so couldn't watch the game!!

Posted by: Joe69 | October 6, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

@gonchpup

we expect more from them this year, they should have won this game at the level they are playing at. If we fall back into the same habits and weaknesses from last season, the end result will be the same. Nip it in the bud now while it's early.

Posted by: Bagher | October 6, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Is this the Pronger that they advertised and hyped all summer? OV and Semin skated around him and scored 4 goals. Scoring 5 against a supposed resurgent Emery in spite of being on PK almost all night, I like our offense alot!

Posted by: Andoy | October 6, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Find a game losing goal and near by will be Erskine EVERYTIME. The guy is dead weight. We need a defenseman that knows how to clean house, not whack at the puck with his stick, hitting air and having a front row seat to yet another game winning goal. TRADE HIM!

Posted by: angsbaby | October 6, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I generally have the same complaints about players as everyone else on these boards. But one I don't understand is Poti. Why does nobody ever mention how ridiculously overrated this guy is? I have yet to be impressed by this guy. I feel like Caps fans have been brainwashed by the media and coach comments that talk about how good Poti is. I just don't see it. I see a constant liability. We need to hope that other teams have injuries that allow us to deal guys like Poti and Nylander to free up both cap and roster space.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | October 6, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup: Needlepoint? We all love the Caps and want them to win. I have rooted for them through about six Presidential administrations now. What we want is the CUP. Do I want 20+ straight years with Playoffs and fancy scoring like the St. Louis Blues used to do? NO. I want the Cup. Caps are a very solid team, one of the top 8 (Det, Chi, SJ, Van, Bos, Pitt, Filthy). Can they win? Yes, even odds with those other 7 - that's a 12.5% chance. Is that good enough for me? NO. Give us a Pronger on the blueline and our odds go from 1 in 8 to maybe 1 in 3. Maybe makes us favorite. Does that make me "fairweather?" NO. It means I want to win, not just compete.

No true fan should accept a team weakness as a fact of life.

That said, this issue need not be addressed until March 1st.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 6, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

The discussion raises a point - there were virtually no replays of penalty calls in the Versus broadcast. I think that Comcast does a bit better, but Versus tonight was terrible in that regard. Replays of penalties can help a lot in judging the calls.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

@Pbonds & @sargeantmofo & others

It appears they've changed the rules on Goaltender interference this year. That's why Laich and Clark were called. And Ovi was called on that in the Bruins game. Essentially, if anyone runs into the goalie, it's an automatic penalty, even if a guy from the other team pushes a guy towards the goalie. Ovi was pushed (in the Bruins games). For that matter, so was Laich today.

(So, that can be Philthy's strategy. Push opponents toward the goalie and voila! Power play.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 6, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't help when the other team has some extra skaters in more monochromatic uniforms.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | October 6, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Not even going to read all the comments because I am sure most of them are overreacting ones. We got a point, on the road against a top East team while taking 10 penalties. Be happy. They'll fix the prolems, move onto the Rangers.

I will say this though...

I see Varly for 20 minutes and he looks like Hasek, then the next 20 he can just as easily look like the worst goalie in the league. He needs to be able to maintain focus and get over a mistake. One mistake seems to shut him down right now. He has given up 3 goals in a period in 5 of the last 6 games he has played in including preseason. He needs to be better fundamentally to not make the mistakes. For the flash and brilliance that he can show, personally I'd rather have Neuvirth up right now who is more fundamentally sound and responsible.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

"Wildly entertaining"?!?!

That barely qualified as a hockey game, let alone an entertaining one.

Maybe I'm old school, but I like a little 5-on-5 with minimal referee interference with my hockey.

(Sigh)
Bettman has won.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | October 6, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

As much as I love the Caps and their offense, this team isn't going to win a Stanley Cup and they will be lucky to get to the Finals. They don't play defense. At least not enough defense. Why is it the Flyers add guys like Pronger...we needed him. It's gotta burn a guy like Ovie that Richards has a hat trick. Maybe its not goaltending totally just lousy defense. Their best defense is a good offense. That doesn't work in the playoffs.

Posted by: oneft2dice | October 6, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Unfortunatly, Neuwirth's out with an injury at the moment. The word is that it's not serious. I figure Neuwirth will be more solid next year after a full year at Hershey. (Or maybe he'll be called up at midseason or later.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 6, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the way players are supposed to play their position, his is one case when we can turn to baseball for a clear example. Runners on 1st and 2nd and a line drive deep to the gap in rightcenter. CF and RF run over to cutoff; 2B runs out in short right to accept that cutoff; SS covers the bag at second; 1B and 3B covers their bags; catcher at the plate glove outstretched and the pitcher runs to the backstop to cover behind the C. Even the LF should go behind 3B in case of overthrow.

Everyone has a spot to go to and a direction in which they must look.

Erskine needed to play the puck or the man, in this case a man weighing 50 pounds less than he does. Erskine lost the puck - something that can happen easily. Which is why d-men are taught to play the man. It was a heat-of-the-moment thing and our $1.25M defenseman showed why he is a $1.25M defenseman.

Look, far be it for me to criticize someone who makes ten times what I make and plays a really tough sport.

If you want, you can critique my next cost estimate.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 6, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

What was so impressive about Pronger tonight? Many scream for a tough, stay-at-home D-man. A big-dollar guy to solve all of our problems and the answer to the Cup. I, for one, like what we have here... much prefer a team with some of the best offensive talents in the league, backed up by an average (but improving defense) that puts on a show almost every night. Sure, let's take apart our forward lines and ship some of them off for the "Pronger" types and we will be in for 2-1 games instead of Ovie, Semin, Laich highlights. There's too much panic button pushing going on here. Isn't anybody else out there sick of "Poti sucks" "Erskine sucks" "Schultz sucks" ? 75% of what is written is negative crap.

Posted by: gonchpup | October 6, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@ Capsfan75: apparently we need to start practicing the "push the other team's player into the goalie" technique!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 6, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Erskine is slow with no stick skills and should not be in the lineup. Poti was also bad but unfortunately he is still one of our top 6 defenders since he has better stick skills than a few of the others.

But I have to agree with tominfl1, this issue does not need to be addressed until the trade deadline. But we do need to free up cap space beforehand (Nylander please) to give us the ability to pick up a quality defender in March.

Until then I think we should play either Schultz or Sloan instead of Erskine and possibly even giving Poti a few games off. We should not play those guys instead of Pothier.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Bad luck, dumb penalties, and bad refereeing.

Posted by: GoUnited | October 6, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gonchpup | October 6, 2009 11:21 PM

yes there is.
every player on the team will have a bad game this year - every one of them. some games there will be three or four that have a bad game. there might be (repeat - might be) about 10 games where everyone will have a good game. until we see one of these good games - someone will post how this player or that player has to go or needs to be the scratch. oh well - there is still enough good insight here that will keep me reading.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 6, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

yeah well if we want to listen to sgm3 (or tonight 117) we should drop erskine and poti (which as of 5 games ago in the playoffs were our best defenders and our norris trophy contender was trade bait or such)... it is one game, we lost in OT, we had bad refs and bad goaltending to begin with...let it go

Posted by: _stevo | October 6, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

If you read my post correctly I said we still need to play Poti since he is still one of our top 6 defenders but I think we need to scratch Erskine and play either Schultz or Sloan.

This is not because of tonight this is because of his overall play last year and this year. He is not a top 6 defender on the Caps and I feel you should play your best 6 defenders. Erskine should remain a scratch and is a good injury replacement.

I, like most hockey analysts, also believe the Caps should make a play for an available top 4 defender at the trade deadline. Preferably a top 4 defender who is entering his free agent year so he will not hinder us against the salary cap next year. These kinds of moves are commonly made by many cup contending teams.

The Caps are a great team and there are no worries about the regular season but I feel we will be in trouble if we have to rely on Erskine in the playoffs.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 7, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

well i very much disagree that erskine is not one of our top 6. i would put him at 5 then juice then sloan then......schultz for the sake of who is up now

but i do agree that we most likely need to trade for a "top 4" D, but i guess that depends on what nylander does

Posted by: _stevo | October 7, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Awful game all around. Thanks, Bettman.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | October 7, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

where's the option for "Game was fixed."

Posted by: FlyersSuck | October 7, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster. I been reading alot of posts on this site and others saying that Theo is great and Varly should be sent down for Neuvy. It's bad to see a goalie get lit up for 4 goals in a period, but 3 came on the PP. And it seems that people have short memories. I remember last year the Caps got torched for 7 goals by Philly and 7 or 8 against San Jose with the Theo/Johnny tandem. Given those results, I'm not sure Theo would've faired much better. He only faced 19 shots in the Boston and the D played much better in front of him.

As for Neuy, I can't say that he is better than Varly at this point. I remember him giving up 5 goals (a couple softies) to the Sabres at Verizon Center last year. As for the preseason game against Chicago's top talent, Neuy played with guys fighting for a spot while Kane & Co. just coasted. Neuy may well be a great goalie someday, but just because he won a Calder Cup doesn't mean he is ready now. We see how well the transition from AHL superstar to NHL roster player worked for A. Giroux

Posted by: ablake70 | October 7, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse

Love this team! But, have to say until they get a defender that will clear the crease I don't see them winning it all. That and their propensity to commit cheap penalties are going to keep them from the ultimate goal. Ahh...add in their lack of clearing the zone ability. So, mainly it boils down to an iffy defense.

Posted by: rphilli721 | October 7, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Erskine and Poti suck.

Posted by: hessone | October 7, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Remember though, Erskine hits people, so any stupid defensive play can be excused.

Posted by: Section117 | October 7, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

9 penalties are hard to swallow. But I am still concerned with the coaches' thinking that Schultz is going to turn into something. Last night was his typical game....lots of standing around...touched the puck a couple of times....didn't hit anyone....what a waste. Strongly believe Sloan steps in and pulls a Wally Pipp and we never see Schultz again....good riddance.

Posted by: erico31us | October 7, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Until Boudreau & GMGM realize the defense is still too weak this team won't win the cup. Erskine was awful last night. Management keeps feeding us the same line about the D. It's just hogwash. The D has been a liability for too long and you don't win the Cup w/o a strong D.

Posted by: JDR1970 | October 7, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: erico31us | October 7, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, not giving up a goal when you're on the ice is such a detriment to the team.

Posted by: Section117 | October 7, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Quit whining about the penalties; they even out over the length of the season. Watch the replay of the final goal and you'll see the Caps still haven't learned how to defend the crease area. It killed them last year, they hardly addressed it in the offseason and it'll kill them again until they learn to play the man instead of the puck when it's lying there in front of the goaltender.

Posted by: fengraf | October 7, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they don't defend the crease because when they do, they get called for a penalty.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | October 7, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't mean to complain, well except for that terrible interference call on Laich, but why do the Caps have to play on the road in 2 home openers -- when the home team is sure to be more motivated than usual? Maybe this happens all the time and in other sports too but I've never noticed it before. That means some other team(s) won't have to play in another team's home opener at all. It's not a big disadvantage and the Caps would have won anyway if not for a couple cheap penalties, but it still seems like the league could keep it balanced.

Also, Bradley really needs to work on this fighting. It was pretty one sided and hard to watch but I applaud him for stepping up.

Posted by: Ray180 | October 7, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I know it is only a week into the season, but you have to love this page!!!!!

Brooksie is 4 in points and 3 in goals!!! Go CAPS!!!!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | October 7, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

all the crap calls should get them ready for the playoff vs. the Pens ..just like last year but with a whole season to practice what to do ..maybe get OV so PK time to see if he starts scoring some shorties...

Posted by: heathdog1119 | October 7, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

how about just skate harder and stop taking dumb penalties...

between the penalties and overall poor team defense i dont think we can win a cup...thats why we lost to the pennises and almost lost to the rags...

we cant play playoff hockey...

Posted by: deadskin | October 7, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@ bagher and every other person who wants to call for the trading of a player: Unless you're actually on that ice or have access to what's goin' on in the minds of our team, I'd shut it unless someone mistakes your mouth for a net and starts stuffing pucks in. We were in the game and yeah, mistakes were made. If you guys wanna' be Debbie Downer now, please don't waste your time watching and then posting here like someone offed your gran'ma' or stole your car. We're 3 games in and already y'all complainin' like we haven't won any games since the season started. It's a long road to the Stanley Cup. Get off it if you're gonna' disrespect the players and be hard on them for their mistakes. Like you people don't make 'em in your line of work...

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 7, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

ablake70- You got it wrong. That was Varly in the Sabres game. Not Neuvy.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 7, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse