For Canada, U.S., hockey world is upside down

Whither Olympic hockey? The United States is the surprise top seed after the preliminary round. Canada, both as a team and a nation, is stunned, and by Thursday morning either the Canadians or the Russians will be eliminated.

"The pressure started on Canada when the Games were awarded here," said Brian Burke, the general manager of the U.S. team. "That's how long it's been going on. The pressure on their team is tremendous. I'm not making that up or playing that card. That's what it is." | Story by Barry Svrluga »

And now for your Olympic morning roundup:

Morning roundup

*Slava Fetisov on No. 8: "Ovechkin is currently the most dangerous player in the world. He is out forward, someone who has come through the Russian school of hockey, and he always says that he is a graduate of our game. But there has never been a player like him in my time. He is a unique forward! He had other players, of a different style, who were also tough to stop. But never anyone like him." (More on Heavy Medal)

*The USA-Canada game was the most watched sports program ever shown on Canadian TV.(NY Times)

*The medal hopes for the Canadian men's hockey team will be resting on the shoulders of .... Roberto Luongo. (Vancouver Sun)

*Yeah, no pressure, says National Post columnist Bruce Arthur:

On Monday, Luongo said, "The excitement level is really high right now, probably one of the highest it's ever been. This is a big stage, and that's your job as an athlete, to be ready at all times." When it was mentioned that he had just been invested with the hopes of some 33 million people, he smiled and said, "Yeah, well, I can take that."

*It's not just the American journalists complaining about Alex Ovechkin's unwillingness to talk. (Alex Ovetjkin)

*John Carlson knows about miracles. And THE miracle. (On Frozen Blog)

*Ted's Take: What a day of hockey! | Mike Milbury said what now?

Women's Olympic hockey

*U.S. women rout Sweden, 9-1, to advance to gold-medal game.

*Post columnist Tracee Hamilton wonders why the IOC doesn't seem concerned when certain countries dominate certain Olympic sports, yet they're threatening to pull the plug on women's hockey:

To no one's surprise, the U.S. women advanced to the gold medal game Monday, if not by blowout, at least convincingly, with a 9-1 victory over Sweden. Canada beat Finland, 5-0, to secure the other gold-medal game berth.
In three games each in pool play, the two powers combined to outscored their opponents, 72-3. The U.S. victory Monday gave it a 40-2 margin of victory in four games. So how do China, Switzerland, Slovakia and Russia justify continuing to fund women's hockey, only to come to the Olympic to be routed?
"Women's hockey is growing," said Kerry Weiland, who scored her first goal of the Olympic tournament Monday in the third period for the United States. "We're improving across the board. I think it would be tragic to have it out."

Non-Olympic roundup

*Caps resume practicing on Wednesday.

*Hershey vs. Albany photos. (Caps In Pictures)

*On the prospects of a Winter Classic in D.C. (Rock the Red)

*Easton Hockey launches the NHL's lightest and most protective helmet. (Branded)

*Cam Janssen tweets a defense. (Japers' Rink)

*Some questions for the Southeast. (Peerless Prognosticator)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 23, 2010; 5:40 AM ET
 | Tags: Morning roundup, Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps return to practice Wednesday
Next: Video: Boudreau, Leonsis on Washington Post Live

Comments

I don't know if it's been discussed much, but Ovechkin has fundamentally changed his game since the suspension. Remember how he was like the Tazmanian devil out there earlier? Now he seems fully under control. Instead of wild fury, he's controlled fury. The hit on Jagr was the perfect example. It was said by many after the suspension that he should pick his time and place. Well, the time and place were perfect. Go for 50 crazy hits a game, each individual hit means less. Lay out a thunderous (and 100% legal bodycheck less frequently, they mean more. Because the hit was so clean, even better. Could've done the knee or head but didn't. The result: an instant goal. He has never looked better than he did Sunday, and it had nothing to do with goals. It had to do with controlling the game. And he did that with Malkin and Semin (world's greatest pass there but a dumb high stick). Open ice hits are just the best. And, unlike the Stevens hit on Lindros, this hit had no injury (that could have stirred up all kinds of stuff) and was 110% not only within the rules but within fair play. Kudos to Alex, he is no longer the young kid we love so much but now is entering his mid-career stardom. Enjoy it - it will last about ten years until he gradually loses some skill. He is Gordie Howe reborn - only way faster.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

@trunkenmath:

To answer your comment from previous thread re: values placed on players (my capologist math).

You are 100% correct. All estimates (whether a rocket or a player) are to some extent subjective. Some things (software development) are much more subjective and others (how long to change parts in your toilet) less. This is why some GMs will always do better than others. Best example is the Flyers. Breire gets like $8M. Based on performance, he is worth more like $5-5.5M. That's an error in judgment that will cost the Flyers on the ice for the foreseeable future. And now it looks like they've compounded the mistake with Pronger. Maybe he bounces back. Maybe Breire bounces back. OTOH, maybe the Pronger situation will cause teams to abandon these ridiculous, front-loaded deals. Flyers are stuck with Pronger until HE decides to retire. Could be they will eventually have to Nylander him and won't that be a mess.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Just a couple of thoughts during the Olympic break.

- On Ovi's hit on Jagr. WOW! I watched Jagr play for years and he has never been lit up like that. Kudos to Jagr though. He got right up, back-checked, did not slash Ovi like most superstars would do, and called Ovi the best player in the world in a post-game interview.

- Did anyone else read the start of the crappy story in the sports section of yesterday's Post? Some jounalist named Tracee Hamilton said something really stupid. "God forbid the country that still brags about the Miracle on Ice would be forced to watch a couple of hours of hockey on a Sunday in February." Hell yeah we brag about the Miracle on Ice because it was a friggin' Miracle. Any fans that understand the difference between the 1980 US team and the 1980 Soviet Team would call that win a miracle. I just can't stand when someone writes about the Miracle on Ice without understanding that it was truly men against boys. Just imagine if there was a US college all-star team, comprised of ONLY US players (many good US college players are foreign nationals these days) and they were allowed to practice together from last June to the Olympics that just started. Then they play the Russian team that Ovi is on. However, to keep it in line with 1980, Ovi would not have just been reunited with his Russin team mates a week ago, no, he would have been playing with all of these players for the last 8-10 years. Anyhow, Ms Hamilton opened an article on figure skating by taking a jab at the Miracle on Ice. What a joke.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Ovi looks like the best player at the Olympics. Backstrom is kicking butt too. He had a goal and two assists in Swedens 3-0 over Finland. He's going to cost a lot to keep but he will be worth every penny.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

This might be old news but TSN has ranked NHL players, "Player rankings are based on statistical production and are intended to value the impact a player has on the game." Remember this is league wide. Number 1 is Ovi, 2 is Greenie, and 3 is Backstrom. I hope Greenie is having a nice break and will probably laugh his butt off if/when Ovi and the Russians knock the Canadiens out. BTW, Pronger and Nieds look OOOOOOLD and SLOOOOOOOOOW out there. Here's the link. http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=10467

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I had noticed that too about Ovi's game. He has been playing that edge with far less abandon and choosing his hits with, overall, more deliberateness, such as in the last two games. The celebrations too are more muted too--for Ovi that is. He and Backs still like to do their air shoulder bump but not all the time. And I haven't seen Ovi hurl himself into the glass after a goal in quite a while. I think it is more than the suspension, tho' I do believe that played a role. IMHO it was also the gaining of the captaincy that has honed this maturity of his play.

But the commentary and opinions by the media and others outside of the DC franchise area are still held in thrall with the Ovi of yesterday--the one with The Goal who looks like he just wants to have fun. Ovi has so much seriousness and hyper-focus now. But the media outside of the Caps franchise has yet to catch up with this new characterization of Ovi.

Yesterday in the commentary segment after the Swedish/finnish game I had taped, Ovi spoke briefly with P. Maguire and the two main points he asked was 1) about his relationship with Malkin--were they now friends instead of rivals especially now that they were on the same line and 2) was he still having fun. Ovi just laughed and said yes. What did Maguire expect him to say.

Journalists and commentators can be so lazy sometimes in their thinking and question choices. But Ovi did talk to an English speaking media person, albeit in video and not print. What a lot of hooey about Ovi not holding forth ad nauseum with interviews with the English speaking media, holding him to a different standard of expected open communication than for the rest of the Russian team.

I am rabidly rooting for the Russian team over the Canadian--no hard call for me there. And watching Ovi play, whether for the Caps or for the Russians, I remind myself often just how fortunate we are to have such an amazing player leading our team.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Yzerman is so smart, he didn't need the 2nd most productive player in the game.

Steve Yzerman is hereby dispatched to the Doofus Brigade.

Fanohock: The Miracle was even more of a miracle than you pointed out. The US collegians not only beat the Russians, they beat the WHOLE Soviet Union. That would include Ukraine, Belorussia, the three Baltic states and maybe you get the occasional player from Georgia.

The Doofus Brigade still has openings. Are you nominating Tracee Hamilton? She and Stevie Y could be in the Public Relations Unit. Someone has to put out the newsletter.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock

I had seen their rankings before but Backstrom moving to the third spot is new. How sweet to have Caps players as 1,2, and 3 in ranking with Semin at 6.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 8:58 AM

Real sweet until you have to pay them :)

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Stevie Y passing over a talented skating and offensive powerhouse blueliner in Mike Green looks really smart now >

On another note, the Canadians have taken some nasty head-hunting cheap-shots at Hiller and Miller -- I saw two from Nash and another one by Marleau. It seems they have a take out the hot goalie mentality -- cheap, punk play.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 23, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I hope that Germany beats Canada just because everyone is counting them out...

Posted by: sk8ersublime | February 23, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to Kettler tomorrow to watch the non-Olympic Caps practice. Then find a local bar to watch a few games and do some work while drinking a beer or two.

The great thing about sporting events that are country vs country is that they don't happen very often. The Olympics can not be replicated. Sundays game was nerve racking and honestly I could make out a few players on the ice. The Canadian team was more recognizable. It was all team USA for me.

I love the Olympics and World Cup soccer.

Posted by: JSchon | February 23, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Another great thing about the TSN NHL player rankings is that it has Crysby in the number "8" spot. Besides being ranked lower than the FOUR Caps (Ovi, Green, Backstrom and Semin) he is also ranked lower than three other players that are playing in the Olympics: Henrik Sedin, Ryan Miller and Zach Parise).

Crysby is closer to being ranked 11th on the TSN poll than he is to 7th!

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 23, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom 1G 4A +2
Ovechkin 2G 2A +3
Semin 0G 2A +2

Heatley and Crosby both have 5pts as well.

Posted by: JSchon | February 23, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Very good point tominfl. That Soviet team was bred, and groomed, from what is much more than just today's Russia. It would be an All-Star selection from Russia, Latvia, Belarus, and the Ukraine. All of which have qualified on their own, though not ALL at one time, to field teams in the Olympics since the 1994 Olympics in Norway.

I find it amazing that people just don't get it. I also get tired of people like Pierre McGuire throwing out hockey upsets as almost being like the Miracle in 1980. He tried to parallel a win in the junior tournament by Switzerland to the 1980 win. Yeah, sure, 2 countries using 20 and unders against each other can somehow compare to pros losing to amateurs.

Anyhow, I do miss the Caps but my wife swears I am watching even more hockey now than when the NHL playing. Probably true because I have to choose which games (other than Caps of course) to watch. Now I can record 3-4 games a day and cram them in when I get home.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I love the Olympics and World Cup soccer.

Posted by: JSchon | February 23, 2010 9:31 AM |

X2

This is a very good year for sports.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 23, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1-

Do you happen to have the link to the Tracee Hamilton article?

I was looking through her articles, but couldn't find the one you were talking about.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 23, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Thanks dude.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but it seems to me that she's digging at NBC more than anything else.

And here's why I think this: "That meant relegating the United States-Canada men's hockey game to MSNBC."

She could have chosen a different word like "assigning" instead of "relegating". But relegating is a bit stronger, and may go to her point a bit more.

I think what she is saying is "C'mon NBC, one of this countries proudest (if not THE proudest) sports moments happened during a hockey game that people still talk about 30 years later. Would it kill you to show some ice hockey on the bigger, HD channel, instead of relegating it to a lesser, non-HD channel?"

I could be wrong though.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 23, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I just read the Tracee Hamilton article and I can't really tell what she was trying to say. I think she was trying to be clever and it failed. I can't tell if this is a hockey diss or not.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I've have sworn off reading articles written by women on the topic of sports, especially men's sports. I have not been impressed with anyone and title 9 infuriates me.

Posted by: JSchon | February 23, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Normally Ovi is very friendly with the media and he understands his role as a representative of the NHL. He is currently under the rules and regulations of the Russian team and needs to do what they ask of him. It would show more of a superstar " jerk" mentality if he did what he wanted instead of following team directions. The media do not deserve Ovi and too bad if they are currently not getting their sound bites. Congrats to Ovi for sticking with the team rules and being one of his team. I am sure the old Ovi will return.

Posted by: Richmondcapsfan | February 23, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

You all may be right regarding the article basically being harmless and more getting at NBC. The selection of words "...still brags about the Miracle on Ice.", is what eats at me. I don't know if we brag, I just think we are proud, and honestly amazed that the boys pulled it off in 1980. I'm over it now though. Let's go Germany!

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

RE the possible Winter Classic in DC: Honestly, I would rather it not be here. this was the year to have it with the temps cold early, but now that we have had our every 7 year dumping of snow, it will be warm for the next couple of years and we will get an inch or 3 and mild winters. I know they can make and maintain ice in fairly warm temps, but who would want to play in the rain.

As much as I would like to see the Caps in the game, I would much rather them play a team that can almost guarantee cold temps and decent ice.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 23, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the Ovie interview on ESPN.com in the NHL section. I guess he just doesn't like giving interviews to Burnside.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 23, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 7:57 AM |

Arguably the best player on the ice that game as well!

He makes his line work. I know it's Erikkson(sic) from the Stars and some one else, but I know he had some ice-time with Alfreddson as well.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think the Canadian team is the equivalent of an all-star football team having 11 QBs on offense. Their players are having to play roles that they aren't used to, but nobody can question their talent.
When they were talking about the Slovak team, I was impressed that Bondra invited some players to the team on the condition that they agreed to play a role.
To some extent, I think the US team is doing so well because they're not elite NHL players and must rely on a little more teamwork to get it done.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | February 23, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Russians sure do bring a lot of bluster (see Slava Fetisov quote)

Posted by: doughless | February 23, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about that. They did pick-up Morrow and Toews and Richards are two of the best two-way forwards in the league.

Their defense looks totally out of synch, if anything. Pronger and Mieds didn't look too good and even Weber was running around a bit.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@ Fro - I had the same reading.

@ Fanohock - You ought to simmer down. Hamilton's article wasn't disparaging of the Miracle in the slightest. Quite the opposite, in fact. She was using the fact that we are still as passionate about the Miracle now (as evidenced by your defense in this very thread) as evidence of NBC being idiots for not showing the game on the Network affiliate (or even CNBC).

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 23, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"The selection of words "...still brags about the Miracle on Ice.", is what eats at me. I don't know if we brag, I just think we are proud, and honestly amazed that the boys pulled it off in 1980."

---

Bragging isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. We *DO* still brag about the Miracle...And with good reason :)

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 23, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

VT's right; it was by no means a disparaging comment about US Hockey or the Miracle on Ice. She didn't say "God forbid we still brag about it," after all. Rather, she was ridiculing the move to show ice dancing on NBC rather than the US/Canada hockey game, which was demoted to MSNBC.

And Tracee's a great voice to have. Giving her a column was a wonderful move by the WaPo sports desk.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 23, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

someone at the WaPo owed Hamilton's dad a favor so they hired her. No other editor wanted her trash in their section so she got lumped to sports where she couldn't do any worse than any of the other columnists (not talking about beat writers).

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 23, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 23, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I just watched the video of Ovie's interview on ESPN. I thought he was very mature and thoughtful and subdued - clearly he's thinking about the team first and not himself, and he's trying not to have a big target on his back. So of course the media attacks him for the very behavior they laud Sid for. I am so tired of the media trying to create controversy just for its own sake. This brief interview made me even prouder that the Great 8 is a Cap!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 23, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Just before the Olympic break one of the guys on NHL Home Ice stated the obvious on the NHL's radio station. Give the fans what they want, a Winter Classic between the Caps and Pens. It should be played in Pittsburgh because the weather is obviously better for an outdoor rink. I would say they shoot for Heinz field because although it is larger than a baseball stadium the shape of football stadiums creates a better view of a hockey game.

I realize the Pens have already played in one but I agree it would be a great event, and let's hope the Winter Classic doesn't become a boring event like Monday night football. MNF used to show the best games of the week, now it is basically a matchup of divison foes. I still find it unbelievable that there have now been 3 Winter Classics and Ovi hasn't been invited. What a waste to not market this team on New Year's Day to viewers that may only watch hockey on New Year's Day. Ovi, Backs, Green, and Semin might just create another hockey fan out there simply by being in the Winter Classic.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Screw the Pens. The NHL needs to get a Canadian team involved this time around. Sens/Caps game would be interesting with the capital vs capital thing going for it.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 23, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@ds_kelly - I think you have Tracee confused with Sally Jenkins. Sally has managed to use her dad's legacy as a sportswriter to get a gig with the Post, providing us with her "insights" on the Washington sports scene as viewed from her condo in Manhattan. That situation is a disgrace.

Posted by: zmega | February 23, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom 1G 4A +2
Ovechkin 2G 2A +3
Semin 0G 2A +2

Posted by: JSchon | February 23, 2010 9:41 AM |

No love for Flash? He has an assist!

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Sens vs Caps. I enjoy watching all of the Capitals games but a Sens vs Caps game doesn't grab me. I actually get nervous when I watch a Pens vs Caps game because of the BSing that goes on between the fans both at Verizon and at work the day after. Sens vs Caps would just seem like another regular season game. Pens vs Caps would seem like a playoff game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

After being present at that glorious third period 4-goal comeback against the Sens in the late 90s/early 2000s, I've always enjoyed Caps/Sens games.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I Just found the article!

Posted by: richmondphil | February 23, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how you could use Heinz Field as it is often used (unfortunately) for NFL Playoffs in and around January 1st. Staging the hockey game I imagine must make the field unusable for football for several weeks, and Heinz also has a grass turf that could not be repaired quickly if the field were needed.

Thinking back, I don't know how they were able to use Ralph Wilson Stadium for the first one.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh has a great baseball stadium with a great backdrop. It is widely known as the best stadium in baseball. Too bad the team is the worst.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 23, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Caps v Montreal in Montreal?
Caps v Pens at Happy Valley (Penn State) its roughly half way between Pitt and DC, probably cloder ot Pitt tho.

Posted by: jeets | February 23, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Title IX pisses me off, too. I mean having to watch American women's hockey, softball, and soccer being the cream of the crop is just horrible. The money used to "accomidate" women's sports -and- academics could be better used to buy a few more luxury boxes for a football stadium or another training room exclusive to men's sports. Yep, Title IX did not accomplish a thing, except to aid collegiate women excel in athletics and academics, total failure.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 23, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about JSchon's post on title 9 JIMALLCAPS1......geez, we need the Caps back, people are getting testy!!

Posted by: PhilR | February 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | February 23, 2010 12:29 PM

I resent that. The Nats are the worst team. Top draft pick two years running.

Posted by: zmega | February 23, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Too much sarcasism? My sisters and my wife did benefit and hopefully my daughter will benefit from Title IX. I still earned a partial scholarship in Lacrosse. The partial had a lot more to do with the football and basketball programs, not the women's programs, btw.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 23, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

No problem with support for women's sports here. One of the more significant social changes I've witnessed. If I had a daughter, I would certainly prefer that she play a sport rather than be a cheerleader for the boys teams. I do recognize, however, that it is a challenge for colleges to fund all the programs they would like. Balance is needed.

Posted by: zmega | February 23, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jeets | February 23, 2010 12:32
__________________________________________

Beaver Stadium is a great idea! Unfortunately for Caps fans, though, it's also halfway between cross-state rivals Pittsburgh and Philly.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 23, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

the fact of the matter is that very few women's sports programs can support themselves own their own... UConn and Tenn basketball programs are about it.

where do you think the funding comes from? it's from men's football and basketball. and anytime government gets involved they only look at the numbers and because of Title IX, many colloges and universities have had to stop funding non-major men's programs to "balance" the numbers.

Posted by: joek443 | February 23, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Heinz field has the same backdrop as PNC park, they are right next to each other.

I hope if I get to attend a winter classic that it is not held in a baseball stadium. Very few fans get to really see the game. Now that Wrigley field and Fenway park have been used I hope the NHL makes this more of an event for the fans rather than the story of the facility being part of the planning.

My uncle went to the Red Wings vs Blackhawks game and said he couldn't see squat. Just like at Fenway, unless you were lucky enough to afford and get seats down the 1st and 3rd base lines the fans were entirely too far from the rink itself. At least in a football stadium you are looking down at the rink and altitude is the only problem. In these baseball stadiums both altitude and distance from the rink are an issue. Now, Happy Valley would be a good place as suggested. Less distance for Caps fans to travel too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

they want everything to be 50/50... they don't really give a darn what the makeup of the student population at a particular school

Posted by: joek443 | February 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think the winter classic in a baseball field is awful...

Lambough Field in my opinion is the perfect venue.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, equity in sports and academic would be nice, but men's athlectics tend to get much greater funding than women's. An article on the topic from UPenn is http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/node/18563 Often pundits will complain that a men's sport lost funding due to a women's program, but actually the culprit tends to be the big three: football, men's basketball, and/or baseball -- most programs run DEEP in the red as compared to relatively cheap programs like men's swimming or women's gymnastics. The cost of a stadium expansion or whole new training facility for a football program can cost much muh more than most all women's programs combined, much less small budget men's programs like my beloved lacrosse.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 23, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@Lindsay

Can someone link the various interviews that Ovi has given--several in video and a couple in print, two with NHL and of course at least one with ESPN. Ovi is good. He sounds focused and mature and driven. And he mentions the Stanley Cup as well as the gold medal in one of them. I am tired of the English media bashing of Ovi for not being available to everyone for a good quote. He does address the issue briefly one of the interviews saying he has been concentrating on his game and his team

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything wrong with the profits from a college's men's football team helping to fund the women's softball team? It doesn't bother me. Maybe they would have to switch from teak paneling in the football player's lounge to a less expensive material.

Posted by: zmega | February 23, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

Heinz field does not have the same backdrop of PNC.

It's not the location of the stadium it is how it's constructed.

PNC is open in the back which provides the incredible backdrop. You can see it everytime they show the outfield. All you see in Heinz field is seats.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 23, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Yes and Nicky's price is going up minute-by-minute during these Olympics, but is there any doubt that GMGM will work something out. IMHO he's worth it.

When I read Pens fans posters complaining that Crosby doesn't have the kind of talent on his line that Ovi has, I know that the Ovi/Backs pairing has really matured this year. Throw in Knubes and IMO that's the best lines in the league.

I'm terrible with links but I've used google translate on some Swedish articles where Nicky is getting major attention from his strong Olympic play. This is Nicky's year--thank goodness my family listened when I asked for a Backstrom jersey for Christmas!!!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

My husband has Knuble and my son has of course Ovechkin. Thus as a family we are all about that top line.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

We have Ovi, Green, Backie and Varly. Plus from back in the day Oates, Bondra, Hunter and Juneau. They all hang in the living room (aka the "shrine"). mrstominfl1 says we have to take them down to sell the house, but I'm waiting to see if the real estate agent agrees with her or me. I mean, who would get turned off going into a house for sale and seeing hockey jerseys everywhere?

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one concerned about Gary Bettman's comments immediately following Sunday's US-Canada game?

After this great game which undoubtedly drew many more viewers than any NHL game, he said that the Olympics harm the NHL by eating into the its market share while football and baseball are in their offseasons. This arguement is insane. I cannot believe that the NHL could be so stupid as to deny fans, players and the hockey world this level of exciting hockey on the world stage. Ovechkin has already stated that, like it or nyet, he's playing in the 2014 games in Russia. Perhaps Gary forgets that many of these players could choose to renew their contracts with other leagues outside of North America.

Sunday's game(s) only increased the NHL fanbase and viewership in North America, far more than simply trudging on with a season that's about 20 games too long to begin with. For Bettman and the NHL owners not to see this is laughable. If the NHL prohibits players from playing in 2014, it should just fold all together.

Posted by: Digitalman08 | February 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I commend the decorating scheme Tom.

Posted by: zmega | February 23, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

who'd of thunk it? 30 years after the Miracle on Ice,we'd be rooting for the Ruskies and the Germans(including my Mum who is from Canada,from Bobby Orr's hometown no less).Unreal!

Posted by: unclebully4 | February 23, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Dear Northern Neighbors, I would like to apologize for my country, USA. I'm sorry we keep winning all your medals and am especially sorry we keep beating you in hockey...I know how much this hurts. You did however beat us in in Ice Dancing! That should cheer you up, and maybe you should make that your national pastime! Is it a sport? Not sure...maybe just really slippery tango? But Congrats!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 23, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Digitalman08: Would you like us to induct Gary Bettman into the Doofus Brigade? He looks kinda like Radar O'Reilly, so we can make him company clerk.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Germany beats Canada just because everyone is counting them out...

Posted by: sk8ersublime | February 23, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

as much as i would love to see that happen...i would actually enjoy it more if they lost in the quarters to russia and ovie...

then maybe...just maybe...milbury would have soemthing nice to say about ovie...and at least if he tried to point out that the score is still cindy 1 and ovie 0 (stanley cups)...someone can then point out that in the olympics its 1-0 ovie for generously giving cindy an early ticket home!!!

nothing would make me happeir...except of course USA winning the gold.

but how sweet is it now being the #1 seed...we've got a very realistic opportunity to play in that gold medal game now!!! just gotta take care of business!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 23, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, Jeremy Roenick you meathead. He just said Czechoslovakia in the pregame. I don't know if said that because both the Czech Republic and Slovakia have to play today, but something tells me that isn't the case.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 23, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

have they set the game times for the quarters yet? i need to know when the USA plays so i can plan accordingly...the sooner the better...

im still riding my high from the canada usa game.

i was in vancouver over the weekend for the games...no i didnt go to the canada usa game...but i was in a bar (table for 4 please) in vancouver to watch it...one table with 4 americans...the rest of the bar packed with canadians...oh how sweet the silence sounded 41 secs in...and then again 22 secs after canada tied it up...and watching them all file out quitely and quickly after it was over was priceless...

i dont know how to even come close to explaining and colouring it...but the excitement in that country for that game that day...the anticpation and energy on the streets and visible on every canadian as the game approached...oh how different it was 3 hours later!!!

as my canadian friends told me...that was the BIGGEST day of the year for canada and that game meant EVERYTHING to them!!!

payback for salt lake...

u know they keep the "lucky looney" on display in a museum downtown really close to where the olympic flame is...

now if only i could score tix to the gold medal game and i could shoot back up there...i may just have to go up to watch it in another vancouver bar just because i can!!!

payback for salt lake and the lucky loonie baby!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 23, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unclebully4 | February 23, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

i know...seriously...i was just thinking the other day...if someone had told me back in 1980 (when i was 10 years old having just watched the miracle) that someday i would be rooting for russia (passionatley) in the olympics...i would have promptly kicked them in the balls!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 23, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I'd buy your house in a heartbeat. Rocking the Red with those names is much better than neutrals on your walls. My son and I each also have a Varly jersey! I just felt the need for some Backie love at the holidays. Really can one have too many jerseys?

Is it possible but I seem to be watching more hockey with the Olympics! I'm enjoying the fact that while I am rooting strongly for particular teams--USA, Russia, and Sweden--I don't have the neurotic angst I feel when watching the Caps. Thank goodness for the strength of their third periods!

BTW has anyone heard when Cam Jansson's (spelling) hearing will be. I thought it was soon as in the next few days.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Even if the sixth-seeded Canadians advance by beating Germany, they will do so to play third-seeded Russia on Wednesday. Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby, rivals in the NHL with the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins, were supposed to carry this tournament until the end. Now, the energy could reach a peak by Wednesday night -- and on Thursday morning, either the host Canadians or the Russians will be eliminated. Either can win a medal; both cannot.

Yes, "Either can win a medal; both cannot"

Woe, Canada!

Now, all you folks from North of the border, don't go thinking that I hate Canada. I definitely don't. On the contrary, I have a high level of respect and admiration for the nation and people of Canada. We in these United States can learn many valuable lessons from the way things are done in Canada. Heck, I even think your national anthem serves as such better than our own does.

Yes, it (Hockey) is your game, and I know that you love it.

But we do too, and (IMO) it was Team Canada’s expectation of victory as Part-Of-The-Natural-Order-Of-Things that set many of us sour on Team Canada--perhaps because it seemed akin to what many of us Americans despise about the New York Yankees and their fan base.

That, and Yzerman’s having left our beloved Mike Green off of the team.

But don't fret too much, Canada.

Yes, it sucks that Team Canada's apparent presumption of dominance on its own turf (excuse me--“ice”) has fallen disappointingly flat. One can simply chalk that up to the ancient fact that hubris has always carried within itself the seeds of its own punishments.

But rest assured that, whatever the outcome, Hockey is still very much Canada's game: the universe will most certainly not implode if Team Canada fails to medal. Team Canada is a good team, true, but does it not also follow that other nations might have good teams, too?

If it is any consolation, remember that in the early 1990's the Toronto Blue Jays won the Major League Baseball World Series--not once but twice, and in back-to-back seasons.

For all the talk of baseball being America's Pastime, and especially those who wailed about how devastating this was for American Sports Culture, it turned out not to be so. Baseball remains--for many Americans--as much a positive symbol of American culture as ever.

Thus, you can bet that Hockey will also remain likewise for Canada--regardless of the outcome of these Olympic Games.

With that said, GO USA! GO RUS!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 23, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Someone was commenting here earlier about the TSN player rankings being Caps Ovie, Greenie and Backstrom followed by Semin in 6th.....strange how TSN analysts always call the Sharks Marleau line and Vanvouvers Sedin twins the best lines in the league. A little western conference bias maybe.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 23, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hiller Part Deux

Posted by: JSchon | February 23, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@yesisaiditfirst

The West in proclaimed as the stronger conference. Statistically it is.

But we know better.

Posted by: JSchon | February 23, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

i was hoping belarus would solve hiller in the SO - so we didn't have to face him - oh well, sometimes you've got to beat the best to be the best

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow--Switz wins over Bel in a SO! So it will be Hiller vs Miller tomorrow.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

in all sports there's a certain bias AGAINST the teams in the West because they're not seen as often by most the Eastern establishments.

The West IS the stronger conference in the NHL... all you gotta do is look at the records, the Red Wings wouldn't be outside looking in if they were in the Eastern conference.

Posted by: joek443 | February 23, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I also think that Yzerman and the others were more familiar with the players from the West, Pronger included. They just weren't as familiar with Green and when they were "studying" him during their team selection his mistakes were IMHO magnified.

But somehow it is so satisfying to me to see Boyle NOT be doing so well on Canada's PP--Green is a better version of Boyle IMHO of course. I'm a tad biased.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I've never quite understood Canada's logic behind putting the great players like Gretzky and now Yzerman in charge of winning the Gold... yes they were great players but have never really established themselves as hockey executives.

worked out for Gretz in 2002 but they have plenty of hockey executived who are much more qualified than they are

Posted by: joek443 | February 23, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Free Kornheiser!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: joek443 | February 23, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

So here we go again, Hiller vs Miller. Another goal tending classic.

Let's hope the USA comes out on top like they did during the Prelim round.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 23, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

*dances the happy Snoopy dance* Let's Goo, Ca-...USA!!! Let's Goo, Ca-Russia!!! Okay, this is getting ridiculous - let's get back to business, Caps!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 23, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

The hearing for Cam Janssen of the Blues is now set for tomorrow (Wednesday).

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 23, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Canada's survival game is about to start. Too bad Kolzig isn't playing in his prime for Germany.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 23, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The Caps Red Line on CSN show is on at 9:30 pm tonight.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 23, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

@MReilly9

So we soon find out how many games that Janssen gets suspended.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 23, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the Swiss-USA hockey game will be played at 3:00 pm ET tomorrow.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 23, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Yes, hopefully we will know sometime tomorrow. BTW, the NHLPA wanted to talk to Colin Campbell on Cam Janssen's behalf in an effort to reduce a likely suspension for hit on Bradley. Not sure if this really occurred or not. Why should the NHLPA be taking Janssen's side and not that of Bradley?

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 23, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Canada has zero goals by defensemen in the Olympics. The USA has 4.

How stupid their decision to not take Mike Green for the Canadian team?

(ironically the defensemen on the Canadian team that they have scored 11 goals all season in the NHL - which is not many - averages less than 2 per player..they still should have took Green...hahaha)

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 23, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Greatness as player does not mean greatness as coach of exec. They jobs require different skill sets.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 23, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

@MReilly9

Nothing like trying to drive down the size of the audience. None of us working people will be able to watch the US.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 23, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Like I said in an earlier post, Olympic teams carry 20 skaters, not 18. Most teams have 8 defensemen. Eight. That's the normal three pairs you need (most of the guys there average 25 minutes - three pairs is easily plenty) plus two SPARE defensemen. Yes, you could have a fourth pair, but why? Why not use a different approach? One as a 7th defenseman to enter a pair if injury or one is in the box. And for your 8th defenseman, a true spare player, why not have the world's best offensive defenseman even if you only use him on the PP! What is the risk in that? Doesn't it make such complete and obvious sense that only - excuse me - a DOOFUS would fail to see it?

No, instead of the best in the world on the PP, they want a 4th pair so they can use them in a rotation.

Steve Yzerman: Report to the supply tent and get your boots and a rifle. And by all means get your Don Cherry uniform. And then you can start marching.

Even if Canada comes back to win the Gold, the players will have done it IN SPITE OF their GM. Next time hire a pro.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Stevie Y, there was a rumor in the late 80s (or early 90s, I can't remember) that would have sent Kevin Hatcher to Detroit for Yzerman.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 23, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Not to belabor this, but here's the deal. Every defenseman in the Olympics is world class and very likely has been 1st pair, best on his team, in a three pair rotation, and logging 22-25 mins per game since he was in Juniors. Now suddenly he comes to the Olympics and they tell him four pairs, which means with equal rotation he'll get 15 mins/game. Even with three "first pairs" your d-man will get 20 mins each tops. Now subtract on the PP when you have 4 forwards. Why wouldn't you have three pairs, and put them in rotation, to keep the minutes right. And maybe a shot-blocker for PK duty and then your PP QB. Russia doesn't do it right either, but they have a reason. In the KHL I believe they use 20 skaters and rotate all 5 at a time as a quartet. Otherwise, Gonchar, bless his heart, should never be on the ice but for PP. And that's how Green could be used. It just makes too much sense.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 23, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Well thank goodness Germany scored another goal and it's not a shutout. I have the sound turned off. Did anyone catch what Milbury said about the the German team, that they were standing around like fire hydrants and the Canadians were peeing on them. JR just gave him a look that said it all: how much of an idiot can this guy be. The contempt Milbury expresses is just--well--contemptible.

The Alex Ovetjin site has two of the video interviews with Ovi. Take that Burnside and Campbell--perhaps Ovi just didn't want to talk to the two of you. In all seriousness it appears that it was a little media control--bring in a couple of interviewers to have a brief one-on-one with Ovi. Savvy I think. And some clever observations by Ovi on how popular the hockey has been with the public, especially the Canadian/USA matchup, on television and the internet.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 23, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse