Forecasting Ovechkin's Goal Total

With Alex Ovechkin in the midst of the longest goal drought of his career (eight games), I figured this would be as good a time as ever to try out the Insider's first poll.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 7, 2008; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morrisonn, Fedorov Listed as Day-to-Day (Updated)
Next: Eminger To Tampa Bay

Comments

My guess: 46

Posted by: rw-c | November 7, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Tarik you spilled forcasting rong.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, i'm going with 33 Goals. he hasn't been accurate with his shots and currently has a 4.3 shooting percentage.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | November 7, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

you trying to say i cant spel good?

Posted by: el_bashir | November 7, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't rissist!

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 7, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

The rest of the Semin interview (complete with pillow fights!):

Dave:
If you think you are scared now, just wait!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 7, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

He'll get his goals.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 7, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I finally read the Ovie/Malkin article (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_597246.html). It is, of course, very one-sided. For example:

"New event to spice up the tired old NHL All-Star Skills competition: Russian Roulette, featuring Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin. It wouldn't be complicated. Malkin would stand by the end boards. Ovechkin would race at him 100 mph and try to put him through the glass. You know, just like in the real games.... This has to be the most bizarre ongoing feud in sports. Every time the Penguins play the Washington Capitals, Ovechkin loses his mind. He locks in on Malkin about a half-dozen times and pretty much tries to break him in-half.... None of the veteran hockey observers I've spoken with can remember seeing one superstar forward stalk another in such reckless fashion, with such obvious venom."

Ouch!

Posted by: Boo- | November 7, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
Saw your post about Olie. Are you kidding?!? The way Jose is playing, we could use him! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Ovie can explode for 4 goals on any given night. I'm predicting 45

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 7, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Boo! - wouldn't that be the irony of all ironies? I can't see it happening though.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 7, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

What would be wrong with Ovie scoring 35-40 and Semin hitting the 50 mark...sounds good to me!

Posted by: reesem37 | November 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero:
I know it won't happen, but unless Jose get's it together, I would take it. I hope Olie get's the start on Monday - I will be curious to see how the crowd reacts.

RE: Ovie, he has had some droughts before ... I wouldn't count him out for big numbers just yet.

Posted by: Boo- | November 7, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

JSchon, can we get an update on your list, and more importantly does last night count for #9?

Posted by: superpaqman | November 7, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if he helps the team make it to the second round or beyond?

If he doesn't score another goal all year and assists on the Stanley Cup game 7 game-winner I will be happy

:p

Posted by: BandwagonCheck | November 7, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to vote for 11 but it wasn't an option. :(

Posted by: keeef | November 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with this "draught", why? Because he's still commanding the oppositions best and getting double/triple-teamed. That leaves others on the ice who can still put the puck in the net that have nobody on them.

He'll get his assists and he'll get his goals. If the opposition takes a couple of players off OV and keys in on someone else, that just means less of a hassle for OV. It's a win-win for the Caps.

Posted by: dj1123 | November 7, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

can the next poll be how many people the donald destroys in fights this year?

he is 3 for 3 now

Posted by: _stevo | November 7, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Gut Prediction: 70

Realistic prediction 12 games in: 70

He doesn't need that many games to get back on track. Even if his streak hits 20 games, he's still got a chance to hit 60 in 60, which is ridiculous... or is it?

Didn't he go 40 or 42 in the last 50 last year? As soon as they start to go in, they could very well go in a lot.

He's too dynamic to count-out.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | November 7, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

When other players force teams to play more than OV's line and OV in particular, then his goals will come. He also has to find his scoring touch, which will come. He start scoring in bunches.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I am outraged that there is no "under 25 option." ;)
Honestly I don't know though. My pessimistic nature prefers to be pleasantly surprised than to overshoot but it can only last for so long before he finds the back of the net... again and again and again.

Posted by: ratgurl46 | November 7, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm confident when he turns it on, it will be all out for Ovie. I voted more.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | November 7, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Hello all!

I too agree on the concept of the actual number of goals Ovie scores as just being relative. We just need to look at the team total and the wins it equates to but I guess it will be a topic of discussion regardless.

Anyway, I like the fact that Jan Brady is getting the attention he/she deserves and hopefully Sasha keeps it up like Brooksie did last season picking up the slack for Clarkie's absence.

We CAN beat the Rangers Caps Fans. I know it.

Go Caps baby!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | November 7, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

where is the less than 25. That is my vote.

Posted by: atomicfront | November 7, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Ovie is world class and the best in the NHL - he will still get 50+ goals this year. That said, he's off his game right now and it seems like his headhunting of Malkin is a personal vendetta. I think that will not help his game. I'd rather see him OUTSCORE Malkin (and Cindy) head-to-head. If he knocks a few of Malkin's teeth loose in the process, great - but that shouldn't be his focus. Filling the net should.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 7, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

ratgurl46

You've just been disowned. :D

Posted by: Greg S. | November 7, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Ovie WILL get it going soon...

Posted by: rachel216 | November 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

atomicfront beat me to it, where is the "less" option. Personally, I don't care if scores or not as long as he keep playing well and help the team win.

I am with Semin when he said "...you put someone in front of the net and let him deflect pucks in, and he scored 50 goals; everyone will say 'Wow!' ... My philosophy is that it doesn't matter how many points I get as long as the team wins." That is the right attitude, and I think OV has it too.

Posted by: opita | November 7, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I could give a rat's. I know that when OV is out there it is a different kind of game altogether. As long as we get the points, that is what matters. Remember, OV said that he would trade in all of his trophies for one. Maybe that is what this season will turn into.

BJ has been awesome in goal. I just hope that BB will not switch the hot goalie out because of "political" pressures.

Everyone needs to give Erskine a break. He has been a consistent stay at home D, who will clear the crease and do his scheduled task. Honestly, for our D corps, which isn't saying a lot, who has been better?

Super

Posted by: SZALACH7 | November 7, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Good post by Peerless looking at Ovechkin's stats through the first 10 games of each season of his career.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 7, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

From last post:

Rod did get hit with Semin's stick and the Carolina coach did not say a word that I saw. He may have asked the refs, but was not upset about the non call. It was in a place where he could obviously see what happened and was unfortunate, but just one of those things. Hope Rod is OK, guess I'll see in a bit when the game starts tonight. I'll let you know if he is playing and what he looks like if so.

Posted by: majiksea | November 7, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

If it was a follow-through on a shot, there is no penalty. That's how it's been reported.

Posted by: Kellyinbalto | November 7, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

It was unquestionably a follow through!

Posted by: majiksea | November 7, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Rod is playing tonight, so must have been patched up quickly.

Posted by: majiksea | November 7, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody make the joke already that a stick to the face may actually improve Rod's looks? My guess is yes.

Posted by: blwiseass | November 7, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

And the Lightning make another move:

Emmy is now a Bolt.......

Posted by: Steve_R | November 7, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo,

Thanks for the link...great read! So much more than just the Crosby stuff. I tend to view Semin as stuffy at times. I'm beginning to believe that may not be the case.

Posted by: WCAPS1 | November 7, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

WCAPS1,

I know what you mean about Semin being "stuffy". Also, we tend to forget that everything so far is being translated for him so subtle meanings can be taken out of context. Heck, I'm just glad he's speaking up at this point.

Boo!,

Yeah, great stuff.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | November 7, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

i am not worries about OV scoring goals. no need to recreate the wheel. it will happen.

Posted by: am_jim | November 7, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse