Free Agent Shopping List

Although the Caps' first option is to improve the roster through trades and the development of its young players, it's pretty much a given that management will have to go out a sign a few free agents this summer. Here's the list of potentially available players, according to TSN.

This is your chance to be an NHL GM for a day. Who do you acquire? And how much do you offer?

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 6, 2007; 10:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TV Ratings Reach Record Low
Next: Newsday: Yashin Can't Talk To Other Teams Yet

Comments

I think GMGM and Ted need to go all out for that top-line center, UFA, RFA or trade. We need to read stories on July 2nd that the Caps offered crazy money. While a better RW for Ovie would be nice, I don't think it's as big a priority as a center.

We also need a top defenseman, but I have doubts we'll be able to get anyone barring a blockbuster trade so I think we'll have to settle for a 2nd tier vet.

Posted by: tallbear | June 6, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Key question: What cost Yashin?

Posted by: TLGDC | June 6, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Stumpel and one of the Koslov's. 3-4 mil each. Two 2 milion dollar D men, or Ric Jackman because of his name.

Posted by: Omar | June 6, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Ooh! Ooh! Alexi Yashin!!!

Posted by: :-/ | June 6, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I agree about Jackman's name. But my all time favorite is Brad Isbister. That's a name. And, BTW, he's available.

Posted by: Tarik | June 6, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Isbister's available but he sucks...

Hannan and Rivet! Ric Jackman maybe but not as a top 4 guy, Scott Hartnell would be an amazing acquistion as well. Definitely a center though. Corssing the fingers for gomez.

Posted by: Graham | June 6, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

What do you think about signing Yashin to a 2 year deal. Since the cap is going up again, the Capitals need to at least reach the minimum salary cap number, so if we could sign him have him play with Ovy for a season or two for maybe like 2-3 million a year, then why not. It might actually work out. Plus we could still trade for somebody like Marleau. Thoughts?

Posted by: blankn1612 | June 6, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Isbister played junior hockey for the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. In fact, Zednik was one of his teammates.

I remember him being one of Portland's favortie players even after he left (along with Zednik, Adam Deadmarsh, and Marian Hossa).

Posted by: zednik27 | June 6, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

trying to get an answer on Yashin. GMGM rarely comments on these things, but I've got a few folks outside the club I can call.

Posted by: Tarik | June 6, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I say we sign Aaron Miller from L.A. Solid D-man with a good number of years under his belt.

Posted by: blankn1612 | June 6, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Signing Yashin would be a disaster for Caps. It took Islanders 6 years to realize that, but it was clear at the beginning. GMGM please say no.

Posted by: alexovetjkin | June 6, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

If Yashin would sign a 2/3 year deal. Or even a single year deal. He maybe a solid fit. A good try out for both he and the team. I'd take him and Nylander, and 1 2nd Tier D and I'd be pleased.

Or go for broke and get Gomez and 1 2nd tier D man.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | June 6, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I am only a casual hockey fan, so I may just be out of the loop on this one, but there sure seems to be A LOT of big name UFA's. Is this common? Is it a result of the CBA signed after the strike/lock-out?

Posted by: BT | June 6, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I believe we need one or two vetern defensemen. There are a lot of "names" on the list but how good would they be in the future and at what cost. A lot of unknowns (to me anyway) also. I would think the Caps could get a least one. Also, anyone notice how many former Caps are on that list?

Posted by: A Hardwick | June 6, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Cue Jim Mora: "Yashin? Don't talk about Yashin! Are you kidding me? Yashin?"

How about some tough Canadian or American players to compliment our European guys? How about Pierre Turgeon, Craig Rivet, Stephane Robidas, anyone from Anaheim for their experience? It doesn't seem very smart for the Caps to go after the top tier players (Briere, Drury, etc). There's better value just underneath the top tier.

Posted by: Arlington | June 6, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Nylander before Yashin. Actually, no way do we need Yashin - has he ever helped anyone?

I'd love to see Rafalski and Gomez here. Drury of course, but don't think there's a chance at that.

Posted by: katzistan | June 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Lets hope we get it done with trades as well, but were we just looking at FA's, I'd go with:

Drury at $5 mil
Hannan at $4 mil
Zubrus at $3-4 mil

Posted by: stormblue1 | June 6, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yashin=CANCER

Posted by: alexovetjkin | June 6, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Rather than blow the budget on one guy, I'd rather do this:

RW Scott Hartnell
One or two of defensemen Kimmo Timonin, Brian Rafalski, or Danny Markov

Then go trade for a good, relatively young center.

Oh, and stay the hey away from Yashin.

Posted by: exwhaler | June 6, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

IMO GMGM will wait till resigning AO/Semin next year before really considering landing a top flight FA.

Posted by: usiel | June 6, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Adding Yashin would be "subtraction by addition" - please GMGM, stay far away from him!
Getting one of Gomez, Drury or Briere should be priority one. They can bring back Zubrus to play right wing (but not center, please). I'm not sure what worthwhile defensemen are available in free agency, that might require trading.

Posted by: Eric | June 6, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's sign Bondra, trade for Gonchar, and pretend it's '97-'98 all over again.

Posted by: noptov52 | June 6, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's the former Caps potential UFA list so you can fill in more than Bondra and Zubrus:
Almost a whole team, if only Billington or Tabaracci were still around.

C Dainius Zubrus
C Glen Metropolit
LW Bates Battaglia
C Jan Bulis
LW Trevor Linden
C Trent Whitfield
RW Josh Green

Word on the streets is Brian Muir will be available at the Caps annual Equipment Sale competively priced lower than a bag of used pucks.

Posted by: slappy | June 6, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Signings: Stumpel (solid two-way center, veteran, can play on PP and PK); McAmmond (fast, veteran leader who can kill penalties).

Trades: Chimera (fast two-way player, was on Canada's 2007 team); Torres (multiple 20 goal scorer, big, strong); Boullion (strong, dependable, was captain of his memorial cup team).

Still need a power play quarterback.

Posted by: Sidhu | June 6, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Nylander rwould be a great fit here.

Posted by: mac | June 6, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Nylander rwould be a great fit here.

Posted by: mac | June 6, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

D Teppo Numminen
D Roman Hamrlik
D Brad Stuart
RW Darren McCarty
C Scott Gomez,
RW Jason Blake

A lot of ex-Caps on that UFA list... that says something but I'm covering my ears so as not to hear.

Posted by: M | June 6, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like the idea of putting 10 mil in a pot and going on a raid to the Meadowlands. Wait, sorry, the Devils are in Newark now aren't they? Lotta tallent available in potential UFAs there.

Posted by: EricS | June 6, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

souary, rafalski, maybe forsberg if he stays in us and drury

Posted by: 2005 | June 7, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sheldon Souray

Posted by: CFAN | June 7, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

If SJ signs Drury then trade for C Patrick Marleau. Get him to sign an extension.

Sign D Kimmo Timonen.
Bring back Zubie to play RW or sign Hartnell.

GMGM better not screw this up.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Click Here:

"This dude is Anthony Lamar Nunley, Renee A.' s brother (Philadelphia), Linda's son (Maryland) and singer Tabi Bonney's cousin. He worked as a manager in Samsung (Dallas TX) and in Motorola (Chicago). He was born in Washington, Columbia District, United States, the 25th of December 1969. He studied electric engineering at Howard University...

..We met each other on Match.com (December 2005) and the funny thing was that since the beginning he swore for God's sake that he was gonna love me over all, get marry, have kids and live together until death do us part. I'm kind of naive and believed all what he told me, plus he came to my country (Cartagena, Colombia) and popped the question and told my parents he wanted to marry me, in a certain way he was asking for permission. In 2006 he visited me 3 times and the last time he came, he stayed over my place with me and my 3 years old daughter in my flat...."

More...http://www.dontdatehimgirl.com/search/cheater.asp?ddh_id=55487&return_url=index%2Easp%3F

Posted by: Andrea Ronaldhino | June 14, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse