Game 2: Caps 4, Penguins 3

Alex Ovechkin notched a hat trick -- the first by a Capital in the playoffs since Al Iafrate did in 1993 -- to propel Washington to a win and a 2-0 head start in this Eastern Conference semifinal. What was most impressive though, may have been how the Capitals managed to hang in this game to come back from two one-goal deficits and play through what seemed to be a Pittsburgh edge in momentum as the third period progressed.

Simeon Varlamov won his fifth straight playoff game, and came up big a few times when Washington needed him to hold them in the game.

We'll have Tarik's analysis along with a column from Mike Wise, more from Barry Svrluga and Dan Steinberg so be sure to stay tuned.

By Katie Carrera  |  May 4, 2009; 9:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live Game 2 Chat: Capitals vs. Penguins
Next: D.C. Sports Bog: Crosby Objects to Hats on Ice

Comments

wow what a great game. as good as ovechkin was, steckel was AWESOME (especially winning key faceoffs)

GO CAPS!

Posted by: virkulous | May 4, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Nice to have the Caps up 2-0. Green has to get his act together. Kunitz should be suspended for four or five games. Caps need to come out strong in Game 3. They have to take one of two.

Posted by: CDon | May 4, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

As stoked as I am about winning, its not making me breathe any easier. Pens know how to come back. We'll just have to hope the Caps can keep them from doing it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 4, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Kunitz will not be suspended. He did nothing wrong, it's just a cross-check.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Protecting the goalie huh. What a joke. A cross-check to the head of a goalie. Big man Kunitz.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 4, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Green try playing defense one game.

Posted by: capsfan5 | May 4, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Kunitz got away with at least 3 slashes, including a shot at Varlamov's damn neck. What does it take to get a penalty?

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

its a cross check to a goalies face

Posted by: doncosmic | May 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

What an incredible game. The Steckel line once again providing a spark. Sloan played well and was in at the end of the game. I don't have to mention a certain #8 that played pretty well too.

I remember someone posting early during the Rangers series about Ovi not having performed well in the playoffs and that he might have the A-Rob syndrome. I guess we can put that one to bed.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

If Green wasn't so busy looking for retaliation maybe Crosby doesn't score that last goal. WAKE UP!

Posted by: buzzardbait | May 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

don't feed the trolls!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Pensblog is screaming about missed calls... none of them seem to recall Kunitz' hit on Varly.

Granted, Ovie did get a rather suspect call his way, but every player is going to try to sell a high hit like that.

OV > Sid... tonight. Gonna take a much better effort to win @ Mellon.

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 4, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Green also stood there and watched Crosby score the first goal.

Posted by: buzzardbait | May 4, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I really believe Greenie is playing hurt.
We need to come out strong Wed. and put the pressure on the Pens.

This game could have gone either way...it's nice to have players that can score when it matters. (all you old time fans will know what I saying.)

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 4, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Green needs to sit for a game. Let alzner take his spot. Every single goal they scored featured Mike Green not clearing out in front of the net. Varly is a godsend. Steckle is Kelly miller reincarnated. Ovie is our lord. Can we knight him. Or make him our Govenor? Something?

Let's Go Caps!!!

If only I could listen to the Caps Recap with Ron Webber now.

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | May 4, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Green made noticeable misplays on all 3 goals. I know he isn't a defensive defenseman, but he's got to do better.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

That game was not only mind-blowing, but also gave me a heart attack! Talk about an intense game! The funny thing is, the media has been trying so hard to make this round the Ovechkin/Crosby Show, and turns out that Ovi & Crosby did it themselves :)

Love him or hate him (sid), he sure makes the intensity level increase a few notches in so many ways.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 4, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@ BlondeCapsFan: We sure could've used Erskine to put some weight on the guy.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm grabbing at straws, but I'm seriously hoping that Greener does better away from home. Maybe it's like Bruce said last week - he's trying to do too much and not doing any of it very well.

Posted by: tess2201 | May 4, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Is Semin ok, he was the victim of a nasty slash by Orpik (I think) shortly before the last Pens goal?

Posted by: Satts | May 4, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree, mischadc83, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Erskine.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

pensblog banned me. i feel ashamed. somehow my comments weren't classy enough for a web site that posts a picture of dog crap on a caps jersey or has posters wishing a career ending injury to ovie. i wouldnt wish a career ending injury to crosby or malkin. particularly malkin. he's playing so badly i would want him to stay in the lineup. somewhere in pittsburgh there's a milk carton with number 71 on it. to think that guy has a chance to be this league's mvp...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 4, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Semin is so soft it's not even funny.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Kunitz will not be suspended. He did nothing wrong, it's just a cross-check.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

indeed, just a crosscheck. and on ovie's second goal, it was just a trip on semin. so we're even. no whining from the burg, ok.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 4, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

@SC87

This might be the last time I respond to you because I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. But Kunitz clearly crosschecked Varly's head, which is illegal and an awful head shot. It looked like he was trying to injure Varly. So Kunitz should be suspended. It's well earned. Again, it's about consistency in calls, and if Brashear is gone, Kunitz should be gone, too.

Posted by: CDon | May 4, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I think we have now beaten the Pens 5 times in a row. They are due, let's hope it is next year.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

LOL at that penalty with 1:41 to play -- especially considering there was a slash to Varly's face right before that -- this is why the NHL has credibility issues -- good thing it didn't cost the Caps -- Outstanding job by the Caps to play with heart and determination with the comebacks and then it was the Alex the Great Show -- and Varly is a stud beyond words -- Great job taking the 2-0 lead, keep the pressure on boys -- we're very proud of you.

Posted by: Terpsrule | May 4, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Semin is so soft it's not even funny.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

so what does that make malkin, cloud-like?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 4, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Caps up 2-0 -- hell yeah!

Next game is absolutely huge. If they go up 3-0, its a big goodbye to the crippled birds and their pathetic trolls!!

Posted by: VladG | May 4, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1: Consider your ban a badge of honor.

Posted by: uncatim | May 4, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a crap if Brashear is suspended. Nobody wants that goon in the NHL anyway.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

It's about consistency, not about the person.

Posted by: CDon | May 4, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh is going to come out stong at home and down 2-0. Game 3 is a must win for them IMHO.

Posted by: Terptwin | May 4, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

SC87, do you actually root for anyone? Seriously, who?

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Youve got to put your body between the puck and the net when it's up in the air and Crosby is swinging at it. His eye-hand coordination is so good he will hit it every time. Of course, it shouldn't have come to that.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

If I recall correctly, SC87 (or Sidney Crosby 87) is a so-called Sens fan. Although I'm sure the poster will correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: CDon | May 4, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Please ignore the troll. It's not even worth the effort to respond to it. If you feed it, it's like a stray cat and will keep coming back for more. Let it starve!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I'm a Sens fan, I live in Ottawa.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I HOPE SMOKIN AL GETS HIS OWN SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 4, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

DAMN 980 FOR TOSSING SMOKIN AL!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 4, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 4, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the Caps play a complete game at some point in this series. I'm happy they're up 2-0, but I'm not totally thrilled with how they got there. They've capitalized when it counts, and I definitely think they can beat Fleury with some consistency. But defensively, I'd like to see them make smarter decisions and avoid getting hemmed in so often.

Posted by: CDon | May 4, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how Letang is? That was a good play by Green. Is it me or do we, the underdogs, have more in the tank than these guys?

Keith Jones said BB's coaching was excellent tonight, especially in the second.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

SENATORS? CDon, you made my night.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Funny the Senators actually have Stanley Cups in their history, unlike a certain team from DC

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

uncatim,
no worries, they blocked my isp. i have other means. i honestly didnt use any foul language or personal attacks. love reading the posts from those guys. i really really want them to sweep these guys...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 4, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok I think everyone can now see that Green has been a HUGE liability on defense...He was out of position on the first goal, he turned the puck over then let Crosby get better position the second goal and well couldnt clear out Crosby the third goal.. He is lazy on the power play..And wont hit on penalty kill..Truth is if he doesnt score he does nothing for us...

Posted by: towrladr01 | May 4, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

That mother F-er Kunitz should be suspended for the cross check on Varly's neck at the end of that game for Cindy's last goal.

Posted by: cblankner | May 4, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

ha ha ha. thats like saying the nationals have won the world series before since the washington senators won in like 1924...good one. keep em coming.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 4, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

we draw all sorts of loonies dont we. Toronto fans, Sens fans.. jesus, next it will be Isles fans. Oh, wait...

If CAMPBELL doesn't suspend Kunitz for the cross check to the Varlamov's head that rattled him enough to lead to a 3rd Pens goal, I'll be more than happy to start a movement demanding his resignation. At one point you have to put up or shut up.

Posted by: oo7 | May 4, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

CAPS!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | May 4, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

@ DcSportsFan:
Washington hasn't won a cup in 34 years.
Ottawa hasn't won a cup in ... 80.

@ FloridaCapsFan:
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, heart attack city. What a game! Ovechkin and Varly with monster efforts! We had no business being in this game if not for Varly.

I'm incensed by what Kunitz did just before Crosby scored his 3rd. A blatant attempt to injure Varly with a full force cross check to his head! I can understand the refs missing it because all hell was breaking loose, but I really hope the NHL takes a look at that play. If that wasn't a gross attempt to injure, a head shot, plus goalie interference I don't know what is! That POS Kunitz should be suspended for this garbage!

Caps, please send a tape to Colin. I just can't come down I'm so angry about that play. What a dirty POS! To blatantly attempt to injure a rookie goalie like that and he got away with it scott free! And stupid VS totally ignored it like it didn't happen. Not a word about it in their post game coverage! Not a word! If that was Hextall in net Kunitz would have had his head chopped off with a goalie stick which is what that bastard deserves.

Posted by: ranndino | May 4, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

It's a team game, they cover for each other. What was Greene's ice-time?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Sindy on Comcast Sports Net: really unable to give OV any credit...
Shocker...
He needs to shave...his playoff beard rival's my 10 year old son's...

Posted by: TimDz | May 4, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

oo7, I agree, that check to Varly's head was bad, but unfortuantely it won't get a second look b/c Varly wasn't injured.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I am sure some of you know who SC87 is....he just changes his name more then his underwear.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 4, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Per NHL.com: "Ovechkin gets first career hat trick". And this is why everyone thinks our league is a joke.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 4, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Quit raggin on Crosby's interviews. You're not supposed to say someone else played really well, it will just give them more confidence.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

(@ Randdinno: Leonsis has a blog, it might be good for ppl to shoot him a message there rather than just putting it here. Just a suggestion.)

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I missed the first period and heard (radio replay) Kolbe mention something about Vaarly making TWO consecutive saves on Malkin and Crosby in sucession...

Did it look as good as it sounded?

Posted by: TimDz | May 4, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I expect that from NBC but NHL?!?

Posted by: uncatim | May 4, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@ SC87

Kunitz will not be suspended. He did nothing wrong, it's just a cross-check.

---

That was an absolutely brutal, full force cross check to the head of a goalie you retarded moron! How about I stab you in the eye and say I did nothing wrong, it was just a stab in the eye. Next game we'll have someone do this to Crosby and put him out of the playoffs. We'll see what you say then.

Posted by: ranndino | May 4, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@mischadc83, what?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Feels great to get a win and go up 2-0. But still, it doesn't excuse an overall lackluster effort, save for Ovie. Green was awful, flat-out awful. Not to mention a bad penalty taken by Jurcina at the end.

Boudreau needs to get the troops in order for game three. This series could easily come back to Washington at 2-2.

Posted by: MikeM128 | May 4, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Caps' soft D should not let Kunitz get right at the goalie's face.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Great, great win. Gotta take Sidney out that close to the goal. No one is going to outstick handle him, but hit him hard enough, he won't stand there so much. 2-0 going into Pissburgh, sweet. The Caps will get up for the adversity, they'll bond. Can't wait for Wednesday.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 4, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

007,
they arent going to suspend kunitz because he didnt injur varly. based upon the brown hit on hudler vs brash on betts, it would appear the only criteria for suspension is injury. dont worry, someone on the caps took notice. hopefully it was erskine in the press box.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 4, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

@ mischadc83

Yeah, already on it. The tape has to be sent. If Kunitz doesn't get suspended the NHL has lost its last bits of credibility with this protection of shots to the head business. That was as bad a cross check to the head as I've ever seen. If that was a skater and not a goalie his face would have been completely messed up. To do this to a young kid who's playing great is lowest of the low. Kunitz is a complete and utter swine.

Posted by: ranndino | May 4, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't feed trolls.

Just got back from the game. AMAZING!!!! Waht a game -- for two periods it was knotted as heck. Fantastic job killing the PP and coming back to WIN!!! Ovi you're the man! Steckel, You're Da Man!!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 4, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@ FlaCapsFan: Team owner Ted Leonsis has a blog. http://www.tedstake.com/

I'm sure there's either an email address on there or you could just post a comment mentioning the cheapshot on Varlamov.

Obviously it's immensely doubtful that it would do anything, but he's a very involved owner and I suspect he does read the admittedly small number of comments the blog gets. So if you want someone to send the league a tape, I would suggest mentioning it through his blog rather than just on this comments thread.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

ranndino:
Get over it. Yea it was a crosscheck to Varly's face and should have been called. But it wasn't. And I will be seriously surprised if the league even looks at it. Fact remains that our defense let the Pens hang out around the net and pester Varly all night. That's where you should direct your anger.

Posted by: tess2201 | May 4, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Caps' soft D should not let Kunitz get right at the goalie's face.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

how those sens doing? such talent wasted up there. at least heatley can get more world championship experience.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 4, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

dcsf1 -- no need to respond

Posted by: Sonyask | May 4, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@rannidino: You wanna bet whether or not Kunitz is praying that this series ends before Brashear's suspension does?

Posted by: TimDz | May 4, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Wed nite:

do it

Posted by: Sonyask | May 4, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

By the way - confirmed by CapsInsider on Twitter. "Sorry for lack of game tweets, but here's a gem: Crosby asks officials to tell fans to stop throwing hats."

And from Wyshynski: "Sid asked refs to make announcement about too many hats tossed."

HA! You CANNOT be serious. What a freaking whiner!

Posted by: KurtNYC | May 4, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino,

Do what you will and I hope you succeed but Kunitz was setting the stage for games 3 and 4 and trying to get Varly off his game. They know they are up against a hot goalie.

It's up to us to protect him better.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

@ Tess: Hopefully Erskine comes back soon because he's the most physical defenseman we got. Jurcina was a little off-kilter tonight, though he didn't do anything particularly egregious until that last penalty.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

CDON...Agreed. Green needs to get his head out of his ar$e. He's turning the puck over in his own zone and he's not skating out of the zone either. He was on the ice for all three of Crosby's goals and never cleared him out. Ever since he set the record for most consecutive goals by a defense man he's played poorly. STOP BELIEVING YOUR OWN PRESS AND WORRYING ABOUT YOUR FANCY CARS, MIKE! You haven't done anything worthy of it.

Posted by: dtc1 | May 4, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Make it to the Cup Finals and then talk. The Sens made the playoffs the last 13 years before this year. The Caps? 2 years...

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@SC87

scoreboard.

Posted by: nwilson2 | May 4, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

If the league disciplinarian, who has gone on record claiming to remove headshots from the game, and to protect goaltenders from undue force, doesn't do anything because the goalie wasn't hurt enough (because trust me, it hurt) then he should be removed from his post.

Its about intent. If I intend to shoot you, but miss, I'm still trying to shoot you aren't I.

Posted by: oo7 | May 4, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@Kurt

ovechkin should have requested the same thing after crosby's hat trick. (one hat was thrown on the ice.)

Posted by: nwilson2 | May 4, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Green played horrible again but he HAS to be injured which begs the question why is BB playing him so much? You can say he is a threat to score so requires attention from the Pens but he had what, one shot tonight? If he's not a threat to play offense then it doesn't make sense to have him out there that much.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 4, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

oo7: I know we all agree, except for the Toronto fan claiming to be a Sens fan. Lets see what this clown act of an NHL office does.

How am I a Toronto Fan?

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

you're not welcome on our message board, SC87. it's for winners only.

Posted by: nwilson2 | May 4, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

New topic -- whazzup w/ Eric Fehr ?? Just 3 shifts in the 1st ...

Posted by: PuttinOnTheFoil | May 4, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@nwilson2:

Nah, Ovi should have just put on that one hat and skated away.

Posted by: KurtNYC | May 4, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@kurt

hahah priceless. it wasn't even a penguins hat

Posted by: nwilson2 | May 4, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I watched the replays and was further disgusted by Green's play tonight. He could've helped cancel out Crosby on the first two goals, but he just stood behind Sidney and watched him score. Terrible. BB has to pull him aside at some point. BB also should consider not playing Green when Crosby is on the ice.

Posted by: CDon | May 4, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan
Not sure if anyone has corrected you on this, but this is actually the second game in a row the Caps have beaten the Pens. The last game of the season the pens won in a shootout.

Also, I dont see kunitz getting suspended for that honestly. (Yes, I am a Caps fan)
They aren't going to suspend him because its not really worthy of a suspension. Now, if Varly was injured on the play, I'm sure they would look into suspending him. Although, Kunitz def should have got a pen on him during the play, but def not worthy of a suspension in my opinion.

All the caps fans (me included) need to get over the fact that Brash got suspended. IT'S OVER!! I didn't agree with it at all, but it's over.

I do, however, have one opinion of Brown's hit on Hudler. I know I'm going against with what i was just saying, but how is that not worthy of a 5 game suspension when it's basically the same hit Brash delivered on Betts??

Posted by: Thomas32 | May 4, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The Penguins will still win the series. This is like the Caps-Rangers series where the better team lost the first two games.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@TimDz:

LOL, as I told my son the other day, "she" needs a lip wax!

Even if the Caps win Game 3, I will not rest easy until the series is put away. I'm too scarred by the history of choking to these goons.

Posted by: paperboy76 | May 4, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard anything on Semin's status? He got slashed late in the third and looked hurt, don't think he played another shift after that. Looked to be a hand injury.

Posted by: joek443 | May 4, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

@Thomas32

apparently because Hudler is less of a pansy. honestly with the brashear thing, the league was penalizing the result, not the action. it's not fair. if hudler was a glassjaw like Betts apparently is, than i can only imagine it would have been a comparable suspension.

Posted by: nwilson2 | May 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I love the fact that no one's biting on this troll

Green can still redeem himself. On that one giveaway it was just a matter of waiting for the Pens to score. Fortunately the Caps have a lot more in em. What a great job!! What a game!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

@SC87

keep telling yourself that. in the meantime, here's a tissue.

Posted by: nwilson2 | May 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Little history lesson for those youngsters on the heated rivalry that sits in the attic for these two teams:

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | May 4, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

why bother?

Posted by: Sonyask | May 4, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

@Thomas32

That makes me feel better about our sweeping them then, even though we are the underdogs.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

NHL.com's "Oops of the Day":

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 4, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Semin seems fine, maybe he can aid the Ovechkin train in 3

Posted by: gtydings | May 4, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I know you guys are bashing Green pretty good, but i gaurentee he is playing hurt. Did anyone notice the pass he had to OVIE on the power play goal????

SC87...time to go change your undies...your tune is getting old....AGAIN!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 4, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@paperboy76: I have this fear that someone will call syndy out on the beard and he will "drop trau" to show where the beard really lies...

Posted by: TimDz | May 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

no name for varly: CZAR-Lahmov

No Name for sc87 :cyndy

Troll go back under your bridge!!!!

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | May 4, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

@nwilson2
No I def agree with you know doubt. The NHL needs to change that rule in my opinion. They want to cut down on the head contact, but then are only suspending players when the player getting hit is injured. If you look at the Brash hit it's the after math that hurts Betts. When watching the replay I believe he got injured in the akward way he fell and hit the ice.

@FloridaCapsFan
You can't really call a team that came in second place in the Eastern Conference and what 5th(?) in the league the underdog when they are playing the 4th place team in the EC. I'm not saying that the caps are a much better team, but I do feel if the caps play like the did in the 3rd period they will be a tough team to beat by anyone!
They need to come out fast and hard hitting in the first period next game and in everygame. The caps don't seem to start playing until Varly makes a nasty save or 2 min to go in the first period.

Posted by: Thomas32 | May 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I remember that fight between Gould and Lemiuex. A few years later Lemiuex got decked by Kelly Miller as well. Always picks on guys a foot shorter than him. LMAO

Posted by: joek443 | May 4, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

previous should be new name not no name

Does Green pay for seats in the crease??

If he is that hurt, he needs to sit and get a healthy body moving people out on defense.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | May 4, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Capsfanmiss...My grandmother could've made that pass to Ovie on the power play. In fact, I think that was my grandmother out there wearing "52". If Green is hurt then he shouldn't be taking regular shifts. He is NOT helping this team right now.

I'm a Caps fan but their D is a liability right now. All they do is chase the Pens around in their own zone. The Pens look like they're on a power-play when its 5-on-5. If they don't "D" up, this series is going to go the other way. Erskine is just as much of a liability. That guy always gets beat and is just as bad as Green right now in trying to clear pucks out of the zone. These guys are fanning more at the puck than Stevie Wonder on ice.

Posted by: dtc1 | May 4, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I know Green was responsible for two of Crosby's goals tonight, Poti was doing the same thing on Crosby's third goal, looking at the puck instead of decking Crosby. However there's a reason why guys like Crosby and Gretky always seem to find a way to get open and score. Green didn't get victimized by some third liner so should cut him some slack. They won the game so let it go!!!

Posted by: joek443 | May 4, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

had to miss the game.. how was sloan?

also, who were awarded the stars and the hard hat awarded to?

did varly steal one or was it earned all around?

Posted by: am_jim | May 4, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

*looks at scoreboard*

yawn

Which one of the Three Rivers are you crying us tonight?

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 4, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

No one has a higher regard for Bruce Boudreau than me, but I have a question I'd like someone to ask him: On Crosby's third goal, note the BRUTAL defensive work by Caps defenseman #3 Tom Poti. What the hell was a career offensive defenseman with a suspect (at best) defensive record doing on the ice in that situation Bruce? And don't say "who else was I supposed to put out there?", as even a tired Jurcina or Morrison would have been preferable to Poti in that particular situation. Please Bruce, never again!

Posted by: OrrCountry | May 5, 2009 6:05 AM | Report abuse