Game 6: Capitals 5, Penguins 4, OT

With their season on the line yet again, the Capitals lived to see a Game 7 tonight with a 5-4 overtime victory at Pittsburgh's Mellon Arena, thanks to David Steckel's clutch goal 6:22 in.

Viktor Kozlov's second goal of the game 6:07 into the third period gave Washington a 4-3 lead, but not for long, as Sidney Crosby scored with less than five minutes remaining to send the game to extra time. But Steckel came through for the Capitals, redirecting a Brooks Laich shot past goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and into the net to score his third goal of these playoffs.

After taking a commanding two-games-to-none lead at home, the Capitals lost three straight to the Penguins and came to Pittsburgh looking to stave off elimination for the sixth time under Coach Bruce Boudreau. But the Caps have tied this series back up at three and will play for a spot in the Eastern Conference finals when they host the Pens for Game 7 Wednesday night in Washington.

Much, much more to come from the Igloo tonight, so stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 11, 2009; 10:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live Game 6 Chat: Capitals at Penguins
Next: Sports Bog: How the Caps Celebrated

Comments

WOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Pens in 7.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | May 11, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

steckssssssssssssss

Posted by: wendel2 | May 11, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: zyvo23 | May 11, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: skins1110 | May 11, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Game 7 at our place. But what really makes hockey the best game is that after the game is over the combatants shake hands. And that is why hocckey is really the class of of professional sports. So please, regardless of the outcome Wed, lets show our class and not our ass. Please don't throw stuff on the ice, instead shower our team with your cheers!

Posted by: fatboy08 | May 11, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

One of the best wins in Caps history. Period.

Posted by: Terptwin | May 11, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Pens in 7.

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Taste the happy!!!!!

Posted by: skins1110 | May 11, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

i saw some white towels tossed on the ice after stecks goal...hmm...classless? or perhaps they were just surrendering?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 11, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay: They took a commanding "two games to NONE" lead

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

What a win! I was scared half to death!
Now, today only started the four-day streak of busyness I have ahead of me, what a way to start it!
Stecks is my favorite Cap! Let's go Caps!
(And let's cheer for the Bears in their Game 7 tomorrow!)

Posted by: 4RBears | May 11, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice that the classy, classy Pens fans THREW STUFF ON THE ICE after the loss? Towels, cups, etc.

Posted by: LucilleB | May 11, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Is it too early to head to the Turtle?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | May 11, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

New posted:

My fellow Cap fans:

For those who remember, I stated here earlier that I am convinced that the Caps lose when I watch. So I purposely (and very painfully) AVIODED watching the entire game.

Take up a collection and send me to Vegas or Atlantic City on Wednesday night.

Lets Go Caps!!!!!

Posted by: TimDz | May 11, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

ignore trolls

GO CAPS!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

dalliquippa/sc87,
pens in seven? maybe, maybe not. i like our chances at home. but either way please make sure to stop by if the caps take it in seven to offer your congratulations...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 11, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

So...the Caps "live to die another day."

Posted by: plzgrowup | May 11, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

that crossbar scared the living poo out of me. Did anyone else notice the ENORMOUS S-eating grin Smokin' Al had after the game?

Posted by: superpaqman | May 11, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

this OT streak have been lifted.. now it's time to send the Pens and their refs home crying.

Posted by: visionof75 | May 11, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

If it goes to OT Wed. I need to go poo because it seems to be good luck. I never saw the goal.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | May 11, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Stay away Wednesday Tim. Kozlov, Steckel, Semin, Fleischman

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

That was a typo, thanks.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | May 11, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Pens play golf in 7

Posted by: ejohnsto | May 11, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

No problem

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

It's never over.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Just wow. The NHL just got its biggest wet dream realized. Game 7, Caps vs Pens. And it's coming here to the district.

See you Wednesday, live from VC!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | May 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Long lives to the Capitals

Posted by: cordobes17 | May 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 11, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

HAHA! I vote 'surrendering'!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Cardiac Caps!!!! I might not live to see Game 7, but at least they do!!!

Posted by: JoeWho | May 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Ok where are all the haters now?! Caps play hard all games (except one) this series and 3 OTs actually tells that these teams are EVENLY MATCHED. Pens have more shots, but half of those are not goal scoring chances.

Finally a win it OT that should boost Caps confidence. Steckel missed an empty corner last OT game but got a goal in this one.

Good luck Caps in game number 7 at Verizon.

Posted by: Hazz | May 11, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm straight as an arrow but I would blow Steckel right now.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Gotta shut these Pens down better. They played a hell of a game tonight. Crosby was very good, winning the battles along the boards. Our backcheck was down from Saturday night. Must do better Wednesday.

Wednesday! Go Caps!!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Did I hear Joe B. right? The Pens have never won a game seven when losing game six being up three games to two.

Posted by: meagle | May 11, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

SWEET! So excited that my game 7 tickets are more than pieces of paper now, can't wait!

I like our chances with an awoken Semin and strong play by our "lunchbox" guys.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | May 11, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love this team.. Semin and Kozlov finally show up.. Green still in lala land.. OV doesn't score but the grinders gets it done. This team haven't played a complete game since Game 5 of the NY series but still hanging on baby.

Posted by: visionof75 | May 11, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

WOO HOOOOOO! Cardiac kids are back!

Got home just before OT to see highlights and what do I see, a certain defensemen with the number 52 turning the puck over in the zone for the tying goal. I was almost resigned for another heartbreak.

How can I forget that these guys never give up, especially with their backs against the wall. I'm sorry Caps, I won't doubt you again.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 11, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm straight as an arrow but I would blow Steckel right now.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2009 10:13 PM |

HAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by: zyvo23 | May 11, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, what was it with the penalties. I have stayed far away from consipracy theories, but that close to the 3rd was incredible from a reffing standpoint. Then give them the extra 1.4 secs. Absolutely incredible.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

OK,CAN I BREATH NOW! WOOOOO WHAT A ENDING TO A GAME I REALLY THOUGHT THE PENS HAD THE BETTER OF US.BUT AS I ALWAYS SAY,YOU GOTTA HAVE FAITH.ALWAYS BELIEVE IN YOUR TEAM.YES! YES! YES! AWESOME! ONTO ANOTHER GAME 7,LETS GO CAPS,LETS GO CAPS,LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | May 11, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Caps tickets??? How do I get them through ticketmaster?

Posted by: capsfantess | May 11, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Boy I sure hope the Bears with there next game. Isn't our series a mirror image of theirs?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 11, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Win or lose, I'm going to need some serious decompression after Wednesday's game.

My prediction: Crosby gets 2 goals but AO nets the winner. 4-3 CAPS.

C - A - P - S - CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | May 11, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

wow! what a ride. i love this team, most fun i have had with professional sports since skins 92 SB season.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 11, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Tickets for Game 4... how do I get them through Ticketmaster?

Posted by: capsfantess | May 11, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I almost don't have words. We pay for Brads missing the puck off the boards and not clearing it, they get a nice live carom off the boards for Letang's PP goal, we get one for Kozzy's. What a game. What a ridiculous series. It had to go 7. It's too good not to go 7. I'll see you at Verizon Wed night.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

The Cap's had to beat the Pen's and the Ref's. How sweet it is gonna be to get a lil payback when the Cap's come from behind to eliminate the Pen's. Cindy's crying will be music to my ear's.

Posted by: hank7216 | May 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Watching the game has become too intense for me - so I watched the Caveliers-Hawks game and tuned in occasionally. I could not resist the Overtime, however, and glad I got to see the winning goal. Caps win big on Wednesday -- 5-2!!

Posted by: mjmq | May 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm straight as an arrow but I would blow Steckel right now.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2009 10:13 PM

A bent arrow maybe.

: )

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Capsfanmiss, best bet might be to go to ticketmaster ticket exchange right now. You'll pay a premium, but you can get them. keep checking back.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I think Fleury will get a shutout in Game 7. Probably not though...

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

REDEMTION PART II

The CAPS will win Game 7. I have a whole lot to say about it but I will refrain. CAPS in SEVEN. They will destroy Carolina or Boston and it's ON for the Finals. Mark my words. I stake everything on knowing that what I say is true.

-Chris

Posted by: chrisflowersyahoocom | May 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Finally some secondary scoring.......Caps win and OV does not put one in....just what the Doctor ordered

Posted by: RichC3 | May 11, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I wish i could just go to sleep for 45 hours and wake up to the game.

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 11, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love that third line. Hopefully all four lines will be ready to unleash the fury on Wednesday night at our place. LET'S GO, CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | May 11, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Sonyask

Laich made a clean stick check and got 2 minutes. As for the rest of the game than refs did a good job. Maybe Semin was tripped on his 1x1 because there was no puck play by D-man.

Posted by: Hazz | May 11, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

capsfantess: Good luck... unfortunately the presale was yesterday, and if game 7 was anything like game 5, tickets sold out in *FOUR MINUTES*. There are still limited 'club' seats left, with packages apparently starting at 225?

If you leave me an email address or a hint at an email address, I can perhaps forward some information to you... no idea if any tickets are still available but it's worth a shot?

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | May 11, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah? Well I think SC87 will be crying when his team gets eliminated Wednesday night. Wanker.

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I like hockey.

Posted by: fullright | May 11, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

What can I say? Congratulations Big Red you showed true grit tonight. I don't want to hear any BS from so called fans about any Caps' play tonight.

Now go and win game 7.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

How come Fedatenko didn't get a tripping call on the last play when he upended Laich?

Posted by: meagle | May 11, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Highlight of the playoffs was watching Crosby get a stinger then crawl off the ice while the Caps have the puck in his zone!

Posted by: jason2smith | May 11, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

CAPS win big on Wednesday!

Posted by: mjmq | May 11, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Beagle and Clark, both less than 2:15 TOI. What's with that?

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

i usually don't comment on trolls. But if SC87 should really turn in his Sens. fan card. I know if a Caps/Skins fan was on another players balls as much as he is, i would ask him to leave.

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 11, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm straight as an arrow but I would blow Steckel right now.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

ok. strike parkville from the places to go on vacation..

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 11, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Brashear suspension should be over now, and he should be back for Wednesday's game 7 ??? Am I right?

Posted by: 1SkyTrooper | May 11, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

1SkyTrooper: It was over for tonight's game, and Bruce made a strategic decision not to play him.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | May 11, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

At some point not having their best Dman, Gonchar HAS to hurt the Pens. So far it hasn't but hopefully it will in Game 7.

Posted by: joek443 | May 11, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

ok. strike parkville from the places to go on vacation..

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 11, 2009 10:24 PM

You KIDDING? I just wrote Steckel on the back of an old Caps t-shirt and am almost done packing!

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Saintex, where are you? The sun will shine tomorrow.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

@ jason2smith

Yep, Crosby made a mistake when Caps scored on that one. He should either stood the hole shift or stood down after the puck hit him.

Posted by: Hazz | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm straight as an arrow but I would blow Steckel right now.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 11, 2009 10:13 PM

LMAO funny stuff.

Posted by: calito01 | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

We won't see Brashear

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

FFFFFFFLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUURY -----
FFFFFFFLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUURY -----
FFFFFFFLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUURY

Posted by: 104_CapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Brash out there throwing his weight around then Clark and Beagle playing 2 mins. Clark basically got benched after being late on the Pens first goal.

Posted by: visionof75 | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

STECKEL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sroessle | May 11, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

third line was huuuuge tonight, they must set pace on wed!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 11, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

ok. strike parkville from the places to go on vacation..

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 11, 2009 10:24 PM

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

no need to pack, sounds like mark can do that for you...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 11, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Even minus Gonchar they got 2 on the power play tonight. So, watch out!

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Varly 90.5% Save percentage; Fleury, 79.2%

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Greg

Posted by: 1SkyTrooper | May 11, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post Team - I'm thrilled that the caps won. I'm sure everyone is going to write about it. However, if you are looking for a side story - I urge you not to forget how poor the officiating was in this contest and this series.

Admittedly, I am a caps fan. However, I doubt anyone watching this game, regardless of their leanings, could defend the downright poor job done calling this game. It wasn't even. It wasn't balanced. It wasn't even close to fair.

This is a situation the NHL needs to address immediately. The favoritism shown to pitt in this series is inexcusable.

Posted by: patrone | May 11, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Even the refs couldn't steal this one.. not even Devorski

Posted by: 104_CapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Ovie really moved the puck well by passing to the off wing as opposed to forcing that shot through the skates of the defenseman. Very effective and created offense for others...3 assists.

Posted by: Satts | May 11, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1- hahahahaha!
I'm feeling good right now. We live to fight another day!

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Pens looked so good tonight, Caps need to make adjustments but make sure they're keeping the pedal to the metal. Can't play too careful. Come out like they did early tonight, and keep going.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

E=-mails are flying. Go Big Red! No Caps collapse in 2009.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with PATRONE. Send Wise or Boswell out on that one. Its an incredibly important issue. You can;'t even argue that the refs show no bias. Its so blatant. Its a story, I tell ya, a story!

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@oo7, hilarious.... think hes got time for two Steckel's?

Posted by: skins1110 | May 11, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

See you Wednesday, live from VC!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | May 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I've read some priceless comments on this blog tonight, but you couldn't have said it better! WET DREAM! LOL!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Refs have been overwhelming favoring the Pens - otherwise the Caps would have already won this series.

Posted by: mjmq | May 11, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Even the injured Green took some big shots (on goal) tonight. Keep pacing yourself Greenie and hit 'em where it hurts.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

@oo7, hilarious.... think hes got time for two Steckel's?

Posted by: skins1110 | May 11, 2009 10:32 PM

Time, yes. Stamina? hmm...

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm too freakin happy for words. You've all said it for me. :)

Posted by: luvdcaps | May 11, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

The Refs weren't a factor tonight. If anything they missed a blatant dive by Semin when he drew a hooking penalty on Orpik. Man that guy dives so much. He can't do anything else it seems, so he just makes up for it by flopping around everywhere!

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

HOLY SH!T!!!! that game gave me a million heart attacks but they pulled it off!!! Stecks once again with the clutch move...game 7, again. let's have the good kind of deja vu :)

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

@markfromparkville

absolutely hilarious

Posted by: ThePat | May 11, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

SC87, put your head gear back on. Its bed time, little girl.

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Sid, is it still "Good, it's the Capitals"? I want you and your organization to fail in your quest to beat the Capitals in 2009. I hope it happens on Wednesday, I think Big Red will be there.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Caps in 7!
Caps in 7!!
Caps in 7!!!
Caps in 7!!!!
Caps in 7!!!!!
Caps in 7!!!!!!
Caps in 7!!!!!!!

Posted by: remy117 | May 11, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have the code for ticketmaster?

Posted by: mikesfan | May 11, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Man, I've never seen such a pathetic effort from Ovechkin, yet he managed to get 3 assists?

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

go choke on it SC87

Posted by: chrislarry | May 11, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Ovi was awesome tonight; Semin picked it way up; Kozlov gets 2!; Fleischman made it count; Backstrom, beautiful; Steckel gets it done...

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Quiet night in Ottawa, princess?

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 11, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I will admit it, the Caps were outshot and outplayed terribly in the first period. THANK YOU VARLY!!! After that the shots were virtually even. When these boys get the lead they have to keep the foot on the pedal, they don't play well in a defensive posture. Thanks guys, see you at Verizon on Wednesday!

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 11, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

ignore the idiots. It's so much more fun to focus on what a great outcome this was.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

it was so fun watching Semin tonight - that guy is AWESOME when he's on. LOVED the dive to get the hooking penalty -- classic.

I was LIVID when they called us for half a slash with 2 mins to go. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I now think the NHL wants their poster boy Crosby to win this one. They did just have a scandal with refs in the NBA is it so hard to believe it could happen with the NHL????

Posted by: ralph4100 | May 11, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I called it. Caps screw around until the last possible moment--even as late as game 6--and then win the series. What a game! I hope game seven is not another cliff hanger and we can win in regulation.

And yes, Joe B did say that the Pens have NEVER won game seven if they were up 3-2 and tied in the 6th. I don't know why this should be but I will take it.

One thing is for sure. There will be no crowds in white and no deafening shouts of "Go Pens" on Wed. Ah! How sweet it is!

Posted by: caraveli | May 11, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patrone | May 11, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

TOTALLY AGREE!! Calling that penalty with 2 minutes left?? I took that as an absolute "ok Pens here's your chance to win". Some of the penalties we earned but the rest were BS and they def overlooked infractions by the Pens. Hate that the refs are choosing to make themselves a deciding factor, they are supposed to let the teams play and make sure its fair. Someone should remind them of that.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

How in the heck was that a pathetic effort by Ovechkin? On the same shift he nailed Gill and Talbot, they are still introducing themselves to each other because Ovi rocked them. It was cool to see the Caps win without the Ovi or Backs having to Pot a goal. Now Semin is waking up Pens.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 11, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for Steinberg's post to complain about the Pens fans throwing stuff on the ice after the Caps win tonight...but don't think I'll see it anytime soon. I hope WashPost ships him up to Pittsburg so he can get his salary from the Pens like the refs obviously do...LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: hilmerdm | May 11, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

If anything the NHL wanted Washington to win to force a Game 7. More money for everyone!

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahahaha pathetic night from Ovechkin. 3 assists, 13 points for the series. +3 tonight. NHL playoff leader in points (20), goals (10), and +/- (+11). Top 3 in hits too. Yeah, that guy sucks.

I loved btw how before they hit the crossbar in OT one of their guys took a run at Varly and did the superman over the top.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Mark From Parkville is my hero!!!!!

Posted by: graig82 | May 11, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!
Just got back from watching the game at the old watering hole. Great win! It was not a lucky bounce or a bounce going our way. Brads, Brooksy, and Stecks worked it hard. Way to go boys!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 11, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Semin has been called out big time by the VS folks. He finally showed up tonight. Need to see you there Wed Alexander. Put your money where your mouth is!

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 11, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Caps!!!!

For those Caps fans who are going to be at the Booth on Wed, you better will this team to victory! I don't care if you all have to blow simultaneously the entire game to create tailwind -- just suck it up and make it happen!

Caps in 7!!!!!

Posted by: VladG | May 11, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

mikesfan: The presale was Sunday at 1PM, and the tickets were gone very quickly. Game 5 was gone in 4 minutes.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | May 11, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I think the only thing we need to work on is how and when to fall down when they feels a pens stick hit their bodies. The Pens seem to have this aspect perfected.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 11, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Why hilmerdm? Are you one of the low-life losers who threw crap on the ice at VC?

No matter what happens Wednesday night, let's hope the idiots don't show up with their water bottles on the ice. Most people round here are with Steinberg on that one.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 11, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

BETTMAN IS STILL MASTURBATING FOR THIS. Versus Ratings of Caps vs Pens are the highest for Round 2 since 2001 on ESPN. And now they get GAME 7.

Posted by: lightshow | May 11, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHA you say it like he pulled a magic trick. "somehow". you are hilarious. honestly, other people hate you, but im kind of convinced you are here just to amuse the sh!t out of us and are secretly a caps fan.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

are you joking? The Caps dive at every given chance. Semin is Exhibit A for seeing what a dive is.

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

glad to see some redemption tonight especially since my trip to PA for game 4 ended so horribly (with my ovechkin jersey being ripped by a pens fan behind me and beer poured all down my back, followed by the pens fan next to me standing up for me and decking the guy in the face, resulting in both of us being ejected by the 1st intermission). revenge is sweet...as is the ensuing lawsuit being filed against mellon arena security.

that said, i'm glad to see some life back in semin, and green was quiet (a good thing when he's only been famous for turnovers lately). cheers to game 7, see you at verizon!!

Posted by: abuddy2004 | May 11, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

How is versus anyways? Is it a good channel when they aren't showing hockey? I'm in Canada so I don't get it. Just curious.

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Epic but true story. People on Pensblog complaining about the officiating in this game. Semin apparently embellished for the 2 calls he drew. No really, they're serious.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Bruce's timeout was right on time. I called it. I said,"T.O.! We've got to play the best ten minutes of hockey we've played all season right now." BB is gonna outcoach, and the boys are gonna out play the Peenies on Wednesday. Best game of the year from our boys. Watch.

Posted by: kevbnyc | May 11, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

The NY Times has already done a piece on how inconsistent/poor the refs have been in the entire playoffs, not just this seris. But we all know how much of an effect that will have on Buttman and Colie...we just have to keep playing through it.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 11, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"No really, they're serious" hahahahahaha amazing.

they are just crying bc they lost that gift of the 2 min PP at 2 mins left in the 3rd.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Re: REFS

Questionable Calls
*Brian Pothier - Interference (This could have gone either way. Just because the caps player is left standing at the end of the encounter doesn't mean he is penalized)
*Brooks Laich - Slashing (2:02 left in the 3rd period - Pitt player had 1 hand on his stick - stick didn't break)

Questionable Non-Calls
*Semin was tripped on a breakaway at the end of the 2nd. The Pitt player didn't make contact with the puck at all.
*Varlamov was run by a Pitt player immediately before the puck hit the crossbar in OT.
*Semin was tripped coming out of the corner on a stuff attempt in the third.

There were others. I need to re-watch the game to nail them all. Simply said, this was an elimination playoff game - you've got to make the right calls. The NHL pays refs to make the right calls. I want my money back.

Posted by: patrone | May 11, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

@SC87

You crack me up. Semin gets hauled down by Orpik, then hooked on a breakway...we don't even get a PP from the 2nd one, because he fights through a check on the boards to set up the shot that results in a goal. This ignores completely the 2 trips on him later in the game driving the net. The one right at the end of the 2nd was horrendous no call.

If we're whiners for complaining about officiating in this series, what are Pens fans complaining about the refs tonight with a 5-3 edge in PP chances including a PP with 2 min left in the game. Epic. It doesn't matter though, our team will just fight through all of it. No quit.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Versus sucks you-know-what, SC87. Unless you like rodeo or fishing...

Posted by: JamWhitt | May 11, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

OH HECK YES

Posted by: LouLewis | May 11, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

BETTMAN IS STILL MASTURBATING! COLIN CAMPBELL HAS JOINED HIM!!!!!

Posted by: lightshow | May 11, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

GREAT GAME CAPS! Its very hard to win when you play against 7 skaters! Being a referee myself it has been extremely distressing to see the abosolute one-sided and inconsistent penalty calling. Players don't mind a ref making a call, as long as he makes the same call both ways. Tonights game just adds to the hours of footage that could be put together to show how the referees have time after time called different calls on the same offense and clearly favors the Penguins. I guess the more you whine the more the refs are callings for you. We will not go that low! We will win with 5 skaters against the 7! GO CAPS

Posted by: DieHardCAPSFAN1 | May 11, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Re Refs:

Questionable Calls
*Sidney Crosby- barely touches the penalty killing cap and he flops like a fish

Questionable Non-Calls
*Alex Semin diving on a hook by Brooks Orpik

goes both ways

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

SC87, you are the only thing here that goes both ways. oh wait you only go one way, down on cyndy.

Posted by: skins1110 | May 11, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Come on Feds! You know you want at least one more look at the Cup! You can do it! Good luck Caps!

Posted by: hockeytownUSA | May 11, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Its one thing if the penalty count was even the calls went both ways! In this case the calls are going all one way and they are not consistent! Again we just want consistency. When you call one things call it the same way the whole time, not just towards the WHINY WHINERS FROM PITTSBURN

Posted by: DieHardCAPSFAN1 | May 11, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

SC87 - I apologize if I missed it, but what's your defense of Crosby leaving the ice after getting a stinger on a blocked shot when the Caps had the puck in his zone? I think a shot of him slinking off right in front of a Cap lining up for a shot could be my new background.

Posted by: jason2smith | May 11, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

wow team that scores first looses again. what do you think of dressing seven defensemen like pittsburgh. beagle clark are not really playing much time. keep the d fresh

Posted by: samb99 | May 11, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

what the f is wrong with barry melrose face (sports center right now)

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 11, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

SC87-

It's past your bedtime. Mommy said to get off of her computer and get your ass to bed. You have school in the morning.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 11, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I liked Ovie better when he was trying to send Malkin to the afterlife without passing GO and collecting 200 dollars.

I want to see a lot of penguins bleeding on Wednesday. I'd like to think seal clubbers got to them.

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

@CPortisRun, school maybe. But since hes a pens fan i think we can all be pretty sure he doesnt have work tomorrow.

Posted by: skins1110 | May 11, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

skins1110,

LOL....LOL

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 11, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't able to watch the game. Attending a board meeting related to my daughter's summer swim team. I did see on the internet that it had gone to overtime and was scared but hoping for the best. After that, I was busy signing my daughter up for a college orientation session. (Yes, the same daughter).

I checked Yahoo afterwards and got the news. Yeah Caps!

Comments on game, based on writeups, commentatary; etc.

1) That's the way I Laich it (with OUR good Brooks having an assist that set up the game winning goal by Steckel.

2) Serves you right, Orprick! Being in the Penalty Box while Semin scores on a power play. (And probably got in the box because of tripping or doing something else to Semin, as he's done all series.) Orpik is the Bad Brooks. (Sorry to see such a jerky guy bear the same first name as Brooks Laich, not to mention Brooks Robinson, who used to play 3rd base for the Orioles.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 11, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is that I have absolutely no finger nails left. I actually drew blood on my middle finger in OT. Caps, for the sake of my fingers, please close out this early in game 7!!!

Thanks!

C-A-P-S, Caps, Caps, Caps!!!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | May 11, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so I just got back from the hospital and the doctors said I had suffered three heart attacks since 7:15. I told him well I did have a fever and the only prescription was more cow bell and a shot of Steckel!!

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 11, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

It is really amusing reading SC87's posts.

Please keep it going.

Posted by: mikejc80 | May 11, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

I guess we got to give credit to Semin for getting up after each trip and trying to get the puck again. Can't keep him down long. And he scored today (and also had an assist.)

While he denied being injured today, I think he has been somewhat dinged up this series. Slash to the face in Game 1 requiring stitches. Along with rumors that he was slashed in the hand. And various cross checks.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 11, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

This is actually better for the Pens. Win Game 7 to crush the hearts of every Cap fans in the building.

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Capitals beating the Pens in OT: yowza!!!!
forget work on Wednesday - the game is the thing.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | May 11, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

it would be awesome to see an all southeast division conference final to shove up the asses of those who look down on it.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | May 11, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

SC87 - Your defense of Crosby leaving the ice after getting a stinger on a blocked shot when the Caps had the puck in his zone? No answer?

Posted by: jason2smith | May 11, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@Osfan092589

At your age, you shouldn't be getting heart attacks. (Yes, I'm the code breaker who figured out that you're nearly 20 years old -- about a year and a half older than my younger daughter and about a year younger than Alzner.)

I did go to the O's game on Sunday, only to see them get beat by the Yankees.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 11, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Osfan092589- hahaha

kudos.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

"...to crush the hearts of every Cap fans in the building."

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 11:18 PM |

Damn, kid, I thought Mommy told you to go to bed! From your writing, it's obvious you can't afford to be missing any time in school.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 11, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

SC87 - Semin dives just like you do, to your knees whenever a fellow Canadian is around. You LOVE Crosby don't you?

BTW, OV didn't have as bad a night as Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza & Co.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 11, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan

I agree with you. Let's show Crosby that the Caps weren't the easy pickings he thought they'd be. Serve him right for the Pens to lose Game 7. And he's the guy who complained about the Caps fans throwing hats in honor of Ovi's hat trick.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 11, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

The call against the Caps with 2 minutes left in the 3rd was awful.
However, what about the too many men on the ice penalty call against the Pens in the 2nd?
I did not get a good look at it and wondered what some of you thought about that call?

Posted by: jeremybozz | May 11, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Look, we finally got our break -- their shot hitting the crossbar in OT.

I think the second Semin rush was a good no call. But I just can't believe that with 2 minutes left in a Game 6, the refs would call that penalty on Laich. I thought it was Philly all over again. I just couldn't believe it. That was a HUGE kill.

Posted by: jhamond1 | May 11, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75-

I'm 24 but this team is giving me the ticker of a 70 year old fast-food eating champion. I actually got scolded by a neighbor because I was being so loud. Just opened the door and said "Um... Stanley Cup playoffs". I mean, duh.

Seriously though, that was really an amazingly stressful game, so many great players (on both teams.. if I'm being reasonable), its really a treat, or at least it would be if it wasn't also killing me.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Don't Stop Believin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wmpugsley | May 11, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Caps! The time between Crosby scoring the tying goal and Steckel the winner, was like waiting for the dentist to start your root canal, terrible.

I have avoided the officiating conspiracy all week, but tonight was awful. I mean it's one thing if like in the old days they put their whistles away at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period, but this is terrible. They are calling the Caps for everything, yet the Penguins can mug people and no call. The NHL has to look at this, unbelievable. GO CAPS!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | May 11, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

I'm sure the Caps cardiac habits aren't doing much for my heart either. (Here I'm 55.)

It appears you're the same age as my elder daugher. (Yes, the one who graduated from Boston University and who Alex Semin reminds me of in many ways.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 11, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

If you guys aren't watching the Canucks-Blackhawks game on Versus then turn it on. It's 6-5 and it's an awesome game.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 11, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

are you guys watching the chicago/canucks game??? talk about crazy 3rd period!!

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Holy S on a stick!!!! is anyone watching this VAN vs CHI game. I thought the Caps game was going to be the game of the night, but holy cow!!! 6-5 in the third when it started 3-3!!!

Posted by: eorr | May 11, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

This 2nd round is sick. Sick, sick, sick. Chi/Van game unreal.

I have to qualify my comments btw...the idiot Pens fans are complaining about the refs. The smart ones know better.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Dear Pen fans,

You may check the posts from two days ago for the accuracy of my statement. I posted that winning the fourth game would be the toughest one yet and you guys openly mocked me. Where are you now? (crickets.....)
There was also quite a few choking comments and references to the Caps history. Well, here's a great fact for you guys to choke on. When the Penguins have been up 3-2 in a seven game series and were forced to a seventh game; they have never won the subsequent seventh game in their history. Where's the bad karma now? ROCK THE RED!

Posted by: croftonpost | May 11, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

How crap - now it's 7-5!

Posted by: suzannepdc | May 11, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

omg!!!! hat trick for chicago!! now 7-5! It's a friggen shooting gallery there

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

What about the trip on Semin at the end of the second period? Horrible missed call.

Here's my superstition fact: I have a mini-Stanley Cup replica made of a small plastic bottle and tin foil that my friends and I created in 1998 for the Caps run to the finals. I bring it out and sit it in front of the TV for the Capitals' playoff runs.

During the playoffs, the Capitals are 7-1 when I kiss the Cup replica before the game. Sorry -- I was out of town this weekend and forgot to take the replica with me. Oops! I'll kiss it for sure on Wednesday!

Good night, Vancouver.

Posted by: Cerealman | May 11, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

AND a hat trick!

Good thing Crosby is not there.

Posted by: suzannepdc | May 11, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

7:5 CHI-VAN. Unreal

Posted by: fnralch | May 11, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Hawks just scored to make it 7-5. How nice to be able to relax and enjoy a thriller after what we've been through, especially tonight. Go Caps!

Posted by: wocoliz | May 11, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

The smart Pens fans know they should be grateful for all the gifts they have received from the refs. I just hope they will just let us play Weds.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 11, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Could you be a little more bitter? Why are you such a hateful person? Were you raised in a barn with the rest of the farm animals?
Typically I don't feed trolls, but I seriously think this person needs some mental health therapy. Do yourself a favor and get some.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 11, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Haha, If you are watching the CHI game, rock you like a HurriKANE!!!!! That's awesome!

Posted by: eorr | May 11, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I said it wasn't over... LETS GO CAPS!!!! SEE EVERYONE AT VERIZON ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Posted by: apollak8 | May 11, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

@ Osfan

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 11, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

You might want to talk to markfromparkville for that "shot" of Steckel...

Posted by: SZALACH7 | May 11, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Man, Chicago is scary. They make Luongo look like Theodore. And, uh, there's another example of a team that rebuilt without going the McPhee "lets take 5 to 10 years" route.

Posted by: oo7 | May 11, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

man, anyone watching the hawks vs canucks shootout? wild 3rd period.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Great series, the CAPS vs PENS. NHL couldn't be happier, I'm sure. What would be the next best matchup for NHL, trying to showcase the game with its brightest young stars? CAPS vs HAWKS for the CUP!

Posted by: gtimaxx | May 11, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Catching breath still but loving it...even now, 90+ minutes after Stecks' goal. Can't watch the highlights enough. Four words say it all: FINALLY, an OT win!

Posted by: caps95caps | May 11, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

@apollak8

I'll be there, too. (At the Verizon Center). Go Caps!!

Exorcise the demons once and for all! (The Red Sox exorcised theirs in 2004 by coming back from a 3 game to nothing deficit against the hated New York Yankees in a playoff series. This was the team that had had so much heartbreak dealt to them. Lost numerous 7 game World Series. Blew all kinds of division leads and playoff series to guess who -- the Yankees.)

It's time for the Caps to exorcise theirs! The Law of Averages has to work in the Caps favor for a change!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 11, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

@oo7

Chi has pretty much come around the same time we have. Getting Kane and Toews same year helps. Our big names were a little more spread out. Just goes to show building through the draft works.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 11, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 11, 2009 11:34 PM |

Oh right. Rationalizing. Textbook needy person. You're so cute. P.S. Get a grammar tutor.

BlondeCapsFan, don't provide the attention they're desperate for...chuckle sweetly, pat 'em on their sweet lil punkin head, and turn your back on their silly little display.

Posted by: caps95caps | May 11, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention, Ovie sets Caps playoff record with 20 points. 2nd round. Retarded.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

BlondeCapsFan,

He/she is just a snot-nosed punk kid who is up past his/her bed time. No rightful adult would be posting such trash. I laugh at what this kid is going to grow up to be.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 11, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

@szalach7 - you really didn't just type that did you? Oh my! Gulp!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 11, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208 ... "Gulp" might not be the best word at this point...

Posted by: caps95caps | May 11, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The refs have given Semin's goal to Laich. So be it.

Posted by: fnralch | May 11, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 11, 2009 11:50 PM

Yeah, and Pens fans call him "a floater" and a cherry picker. What a delusional fan base. He bowls over their players all night, gets 3 assists, leads the league in playoff points, and he gets dissed. Just goes to show how dumb those clowns really are. The team was bankrupt and going under until Crosby came along, and they call Caps fans bandwagoners, fans that have endured 30+ years of let downs.

Posted by: oo7 | May 12, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Well if Laich gets the goal Semin and Ovie still get assists on it. Ovie still with 3 assists, Semin 2 assists, and Laich a goal and an assist. Along with Kozlov scoring twice, Flash getting one...all the secondary guys we've want to hear from made their presence felt.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 12, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Lets put it this way, if we score 5 Wednesday night, on to the Eastern Conference Finals we go.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 12, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I admit, I do check out a Pens fan site occasionally to get the feel of what the opposing fans are saying. But I don't post on their sites. I keep my online comments here.

It's even more fun after games like tonight ... when the Penguins fans are blaming Fleury, blasting Semin for diving and claiming there's no way they can lose Game Seven with Crosby.

Their malarkey makes me smile. :)

Posted by: Cerealman | May 12, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

@fnralch

Even if Semin's goal is being credited to Laich, we can't deny that Semin contributed to it. In Game 1, he had two assists. He could have scored then but figured Ovi was in a better position to score and passed to him.

I'm sure Semin will score soon but even during his bad periods, he'll contribute a fair amount of assists. (It still serves Orpik right in that Semin contributed to a goal while Orpik was in the box.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm exhausted.....almost 2 hours after Stecks takes us to a Game 7 and I still can't catch my breath...How friggin' awesome was that!!

I have to admit looking at the replay that it looked like Semin took somewhat of a dive on that 3rd period penalty called on Orprick.....that penalty called on Laich with 2 minutes left was total crapola...

The VC will be jacked on Wednesday night......Prediction: Caps 5 Penqueens 2

GO CAPS!!!!!!!

Posted by: lynchburgvacapsfan | May 12, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

It would be poetic justice for the Pens to lose Game 7 on a power play goal scored by Semin while Orpik is in the Penalty Box! That would serve him right.

Or, for that matter, if the Caps score on a PP while Kunitz is in the box.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

So Pens fans think there's no way they'll lose game 7 with their Queen Cindy huh? Absolutely phenominal! If there is a God and you love me, it will be Your Will for the Caps to absolutely embarass the Pens Wednesday night. It would only be payback for the night my friends and I got all painted up, dressed up and .. (well you know)only to be down 6-0 after 1! What comes around goes around right?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 12, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

good points oo7. And the only reason the Pens didn't go bankrupt before that is that Mario bailed them out by trading what was left on his contract for an ownership interest in the team, and then had to pretty much threaten to move the team out in order to get a new building. Pollin built ours with his own $.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 12, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Semin was flying tonight. Flash's goal was 90% Semin's effort and puck control behind the net. I just want to hope that he's being himself again this Wednesday.

Posted by: fnralch | May 12, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

And don't forget it was all but done (the Pens moving). Nobody was showing up to games, they couldn't get a new arena and the city mayor flat told them to go pound sand. He wasn't going to have ANY tax payer money to pay for a new rink so Mario to his investment group they HAD to move. Then at the last second the mayor changed his mind. Then they get the BOY wonder and they're all in love again. Can't wait to CRUSH them Wednesday night! Absolutely can't wait to crush that team, that town that whole Pennsyltucky area!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 12, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow- the thuggery they allowed Sucksburgh with was criminal. Everything to keep the fans going to the games in bore zzzzz igloo.
Else they would go BK & have a liquidation draft.

If I had to look @ another wild celebration after a penz goal with fat chicks on CSN, I was going to puke. Can't tell who really wears the 42" pants in the Sucksburgh households.

But hey, the good guys won & Wednesday payback will be sweet for us long suffering Caps fans.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I think in Game 7 we will see the Crosby that dominated the 3rd play like that the whole game. He is on a mission and he will deliver Pittsburgh a win. Mark my words, the Penguins will win.

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 12:26 AM |

Crosby was non-existent after he took the shot to the head & foot.
He was lucky on his goal standing round & having the Caps throw the puck out front like a grenade. cindy was a non factor after we roughed him up early.
Oh - we'll mark ur words alright. Just come back Wednesday night after the game on your knees.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

If I had a dollar for every comma splice by SC87 ... I'd pay him to leave this blog forever.

Alas, I can wait two more days. :)

Posted by: Cerealman | May 12, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 12:26 AM

Yeah, you said that about game 6. Idiot. You just jinxed them again.

Posted by: oo7 | May 12, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface

I was at that game, too. The only Caps game I ever left early, I was so seething mad. After game 5 of this series, I too was practically looking for religious answers, as in how can any god torment us so much so often to the team we despise the most. Will we finally get our payback? Caps MUST win game 7 (and this time I like our chances...)

Posted by: CAP-lanta | May 12, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

SC87,
You are so sad. Haven't you been blubbering that montra since early April?

You sound more childish then usual. Did you get beat up again and have your lunch money stolen in school today? Of course you did.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 12, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

hey 007 - keep up the good fight! You tell them Pen luvin' b*****ds!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | May 12, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Game 7 will buck the close game trend. Pens are done - it was on their faces. It will be 4-1 Caps after the first. 6-2 after the second. and 7-4 Final. Trust me - I have been a Caps and NHL fan for 33 years.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | May 12, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Your words have been "marked," as they were before this game. Now kindly take your predictions and go play in traffic with them. Oh, and your Mom is fat. LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 12, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

@Caplanta - I've been there for many of the multiple OT losing games as well. That one and the 3 OT game against the Pens where we left the Cap Center at like 2 am rank up there as the most crushing defeats I've ever been a part of. How anybody can say that Pitt isn't our most hated rival just hasn't been around very long. I think like you that this is where it all comes full circle! I can't be there as I'm in Colorado now but you can bet I'll be screaming so loud you'll hear me at the VC!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 12, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Amen brother! I will be screaming with you from Atlanta!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | May 12, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

About SC - you know maybe we should keep him around. Seems to me the more he comes around the more we win. So stick around SC, it'll be fun. I mean you've only eaten your words throughout the whole 1st round and so far through 6 games of the 2nd round so stick around and we'll have fun making you eat your words for the rest of the run.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 12, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208

I agree. What goes around comes around. Send the Pens down to defeat. The hypocritical, whining, thuggish Pens. May the Caps win on a power play with Orpik (or Kunitz) in the penalty box! On a goal scored by Alex Semin! Yes, boys and girls, Alexander Valerievich is back! You can't keep a good man down forever. He may get beaten down and tripped but he's resiliant keeps coming back. (Even though he denied being injured, I suspect he was dinged up to some degree.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Why are people talking like I've been around here for a while. I joined at the beginning of the series. I don't know who you have me confused with.

Who said Crosby was non-existant? He was the hardest working player tonight and that 4th goal was ALL because of his work along the boards. He was much more of a factor in this game than Ovechkin (and don't say he had 3 assists, admit he was barely visible tonight).

Posted by: SC87 | May 12, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse