Game 6: Capitals 5, Rangers 3

(Toni L. Sandys -- The Washington Post)

Three Caps defenseman -- Milan Jurcina, Tom Poti and Mike Green -- scored in the first period, rookie goaltender Simeon Varlamov made 29 saves and the Caps rattled Henrik Lundqvist again in a 5-3 victory at Madison Square Garden to save their postseason and force a Game 7.

Poti had three assists in his first four-point performance since 2004, when he played for the Rangers.

Rangers assistant Jim Schoenfeld, in charge for the day with Coach John Tortorella serving a one-game suspension, pulled Lundqvist after the netminder let in five goals over two periods. It was the second consecutive game in which New York was forced to insert backup Stephen Valiquette with a full 20 minutes left to play.

The Caps and Rangers will face off at Verizon Center for Game 7 on Tuesday at 7 p.m. We'll have much, more more tonight, so stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 26, 2009; 4:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rangers Ask NHL to Discipline Caps
Next: Will Brashear and Morrisonn Face Disciplinary Action?

Comments

Obviously, I'm happy the Caps are moving on, but that was a sloppy third period they played. That last goal, in particular, may have exposed a hole in Varlamov's game. Don't be surprised if the Rangers shoot blocker side, short side high in Game 7. Nice win, but the ending leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I hope it does for the players, too, so they come out hard on Tuesday. But hey, can't complain about having a Game 7.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Who else is way more confident for this game 7 than last year's? The Rangers were exposed tonight just like they were in 3 and 5. I don't care how you spin it, we're just plain-ole better. Our 3 wins have all been no-doubt-about-it blowouts. Their 3 wins were all either because of our mistakes (1) or Lundy standing on his head (2,4). I never felt this confident against Philly last year. Not even close.

Posted by: JS26121820

Reposted from last thread

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 26, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Game 7...not the best 3rd period but didn't matter. Doesn't help when they get two 5 on 3's. Refs were so bad in the 3rd I thought Tocchet had paid them off cause he had the Rags +2.5.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Great performance. Another one of my predictions comes true. As Henrik becomes human again we see the true measure of these teams. The Rangers are just a sad, sad lot.

Nice attempt by the refs to make this game look respectable in the 3rd. What a boatload of ridiculous calls!

I hope Tortorella enjoyed the view from the balcony.

And boy did Poti answer those "Poti sucks" chants today, or what?

Posted by: ranndino | April 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Look at this, we kicked them all over the rink, and all they can talk about is Brash. Did I miss Dubinsky's cheap shot and the treatment of Ovie in the 3rd?

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

True, Dave. The first 5-on-3 was just bad, bad, bad officiating. There was no penalty committed by Erskine, and the call on Backstrom was questionable. The second 5-on-3 leaned a little more toward legitimacy. Still, refs owed the Caps a couple of calls there in the third. I guess you're right, only that last goal was bad.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't worry too much about the third period. Besides the two penalties (the Erskine penatly was BS) and the last goal where they weren't even playing D, the Caps played fine. You can't avoid lulls after scoring 5 goals.

On the Rangers goals, they were all top corner, noone is stopping those. So if the rangers have perfect accuracy, then I would be worried. They haven't exposed anything on Varly.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Let's nick pick over that 3rd goal. Give game me a break. Superb D. Spread out scoring. Bring it on home Caps. Fans be ready.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Smart decision by BB to sit Brash out for most of the last half of the game. He was losing a little control out there. He could be suspended for Game 7, which means Nylander returns. I'm still not sure Clark is ready.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

When is Mr. Leonsis going to call to invite me to Game 7?

Posted by: uncatim | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Considering how poorly reffed that last period was, I do not mind the goals. The Caps were much better in the game. No McCreary in the next game, so no big concern there. 11-6 in penalties, esp. in that last period 4-0 -- pure bs

The phonebooth will be nuts on Tuesday -- Let's go Caps!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@Moose and ridgely

You're right. I'll withdraw my comments. I just hate seeing those late goals, even if they are meaningless.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, guys, I never posted during a game before, that was a blast. Especially cause I'm in Wisconsin with nobody else to enjoy it with. I'm a newbie to the blog but no newbie Cap fan, not by a long shot. Whoever has game 7 tickets give a few extra yells for me. Gotta go for a prior commitment, but I won't be a stranger anymore. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

SO HAPPY! Although it did get a little sloppy in the 3rd.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The 3rd was only bad because the refs were trying to make the game interesting by only calling against the Caps. Avery ran into Varlamov in the 3rd, Ovechkin was high-sticked... The Caps penalties, starting with the call against Jurcina with 1 min left in the 2nd were all very questionable.

Posted by: washcaps | April 26, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

CDon,

I don't like seeing them either. Just don't want to provide the Rags with any type of positive to take away from this game. I;ll with it though.

So the so called "king" gets pulled in two straight games and did anyone else notice the rangers fans booing zherdev everythime he touched the puck, nice job fans, way to support the team.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

OV's minutes were managed well today, too. He played 20:50. That's better. Poti got the most run today, but he was playing lights out.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@ CDon

That didn't expose anything. Bologna. The refs just decided to even out the odds and have us play with 3 players against 5 in the 3rd. Those calls were complete bull.

Can't blame Varly on that last goal. Point blank shot, top corner.

Anyway, the only reason this game didn't end like 8-1 is cuz someone gave the refs a call after 2 periods and told them to do something so that the Rangers won't get completely embarrassed at home because through 2 periods they just looked pathetic. We were toying with them.

I expect another blowout in game 7 and feel great about our chances to go deep. Simply by replacing Theo with Varly (as I've been lobbying all year) we fixed out goaltending which was our #1 problem. Green is now back from his flu (he was unfairly criticized before... you try play in an NHL game with flu... if anything it proved how tough he is). It all bodes well for us.

Rangers absolutely suck and they know it. You could see that by their body language. Their amazing luck has simply run out.

Posted by: ranndino | April 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

that should be I'll live with it

Posted by: Moose33 | April 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Sloppy 3rd was what we signed up for when we were up 5-1 after 2. This is just fine. Game 7!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Its amazing how young a four point game makes Poti look: http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2008030126&navid=DL|NHL|Home

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Heard Poti was limping of ice? Any word on him? We desperately need him for Game 7. Best defenseman, and actually a top offensive player now too!!!

Posted by: adamkatzen | April 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@Moose

I hear ya. I'm with you all the way on that.

Caps 2-for-2 on PP
Rangers 2-for-8 on PP

Unreal. They get six more chances with a man advantage.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Where are those Rangers fan now??!!

Great effort to end this game by the 3rd period.

btw - sour grapes on Rangers for whining to the league.

Don't condone bad language around league. But this is the playoffs!!

& if i was bad, Tort should have gone to the ref himself! Get on the red phone to the league during the game.
Whatever it took.
C'mon quit being a mouse!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

um please lets not even joke about Nylander being inserted into the lineup. I'd rather just play with 11 forwards.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

you can't just say that the refs have been giving the rangers breaks. they let the caps come in off sides (w/ out calling it) several times in game 5. in this game, brash was lucky not to draw an additional penalty.

brash has been much worse in this series than in the series in philly. what's going through his head?

Posted by: am_jim | April 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I withdrew my comments, which were made in haste after that last goal, which, honestly, did tick me off. So no worries. That was my bad.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

@CDon

I still agree with you about not wanting to give them any momentum. First time they've put 3 behind Varly in the series. I still thought he was solid today but both of those last 2 goals come with an asterisk. The first one was just a nice redirect too, not going to be able to stop all of those.

I still want to see more from Kozlov, but his goal was nice today. Stecks/Brads/Laich were very effective again. I actually thought Fehr played well today in limited time. Flash still was mostly invisible. Our D was great all game save for those goals in the 3rd. Juice had an active stick all game and Fulton Reed style he finally hit the net. Poti was superb and if he plays like that on the PP point all the time I'd stick Ovie down low in front every time.

We just have to think of the job as not being done yet. Step 1 and step 2 are complete, but we have to finish the job which we didn't do last year.

Here's my trashy bandwagon fan response to all the "well Sid got to the Finals just last year so he's a better leader" comments we have to hear even though we're still in our 2nd playoff year. Ovie and our guys have come back from 3-1 deficits to force a Game 7 not once, but twice. Doesn't mean much unless you win Game 7, but it does show heart.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Why Nylander when Clark would be a rw for rw replacement if Brash sits????

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

That link is fantastic!

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

adamkatzen:
Poti looked fine when he was skating off the ice after the postgame interview.

jmu: who the heck is that?

Posted by: tess2201 | April 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Is there any way to buy tickets for the Game 7?

Posted by: yrb1 | April 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@JMU LOL who is that guy??

Posted by: honed | April 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I think all the fans behind the Rangers bench on Tuesday should wear RAINCOATS

Posted by: billd2 | April 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Clark is ready, that's why I would suspect Nylander IF Brash is suspended or a healthy scratch.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

OR MAYBE JUST THOSE YELLOW FISHERMAN OF THE SEA RAIN HATS.

Posted by: billd2 | April 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

No idea! I'm gonna run through the prospects head shots to figure it out. My first thought was Holtby, but that's definitely not him.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Where is nutless (aka doughless)?? Come back here & take your whoopin boy!! You Rangers sympathizer.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

anyone looking to get a quick laugh should use the link on the left side to the rangers blog

Posted by: apollak8 | April 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

jmu, maybe its Carlson?

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Great game by the Caps again today. It was especially nice to see Green looking more like himself (not to mention scoring a goal!) What a game by Poti! Now, if we can just get Fedorov back to his top game, the Caps will be looking good.

I hate to take anything away from the Caps' performance, but that was one of the WORST officiating I have seen in a long time by the refs. It was so one-sided, and some of the calls were so ridiculus, I just couldn't believe it. I hope they used up all their bias in game 6, so that we can take the refs out of the equation in game 7--this year.

Posted by: hockeybob | April 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

That may be Chris Bourque

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Its not Bourque

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sorry jmu, I didn't see you already had a link. I think it is Chris Bourque.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie, definitely not Carlson. I have no idea who it is. It doesn't match any of the prospects on the Caps site.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

it looks like him though. he's cute... whoever it is.. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

We've got a mystery Cap!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

He looks too young to be Bourque. Maybe its one of the guys not signed, but invited to development camp last summer?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I cannot match it to anyone

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

It looks vaguely like Bourque, but I don't think so. It doesn't look like any of the current Bears, so it must be a prospect.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 26, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

For those who think the refs 'favor' us the game - things havve a way of evening things out.

I rather be lucky than good anytime.

First 4 games, luck was totally on the Rangers side.
Funny how things have change huh?

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 26, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

maybe its a Stingray?

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Nice win. Keep the same lines for game 7 please. D is playing much better. Keep Schultz out. He was terrible in Game 1 and cost them the last goal.

Posted by: la_terp | April 26, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Not a Stingray. The only one who even remotely resembles him is Pokulok and his eyes are the wrong color.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Jose: 1 game, 3 periods- allowed 4 goals

Varly: 5 games, 15 periods- allowed 5 goals

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 26, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually Varly has 6 allowed now. Hooray for a meaningless 3rd period. Still the kid has been solid.

Anyone know when Ticketexchange will actually have Game 7 get listed?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Davethecapsfan:
two PP goals and a garbage goal with 5 sec left shouldn't give the rags anything positive to bring to game 7 - they've still been outscored 9-3 in the last two games. any two goal lead by the caps in game 7 and the rags entire team will probably turn into goons. they know they can not come back against the caps. the second period today showed the caps will only extend their lead when the rags *have* to skate - which they can't do. if the caps can play 60 on tuesday like they did the first 40 today - they will win by more than two.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 26, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Mystery solved. Props to Bernie.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

It might be Greg Burke. But I'm not positive.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice call Bernie!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice our D has gotten so much better since Schultz left the lineup! haha!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I think the Rangers think they don't have a chance. We'll got to play a perfect game on Tuesday. Kinda nervous, I can't take another game 7 loss.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Meh, don't hate on Schultz. I think our D has just stepped it up in general. Erskine's been a revelation lately anyways. And its not like Mo & Juice aren't both playing for a contract. I'd make the most of my final games to prove I deserve a job at the highest pay too. Especially with the kids waiting in the wings.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

A good effort overall. Caps came out in the first period with the intention of deflating the Rangers balloon and they did just that.

I wasn't thrilled with the letdown in the last ten minutes or the stupid penalties taken by the Caps. Those who are criticizing the refs saw a different game than I did. The only call that was bogus was the one against Erskine. When you are ahead 5 - 1 you don't commit dumb penalties to allow emotion to build that could carry over into Tuesday night.

Look for at least a one game suspension for Brashear.

Also could not understand Boudreau leaving Ovechkin and Semin in the game in the last five minutes. That is cheap shot time and is no different than leaving your star quarterback in when you are ahead 42-7.

Posted by: MKadyman | April 26, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

If anyone knows when tickets might go up on TicketExchange for Game 7 let me know.

I'll leave for a bit with this final thought.

It's never over.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Still, I'm more comfortable without Schultz playing. I'd much rather see Pothier in there. And quite frankly, every D-man is playing better than Schultz probably would. If Schultz had half the grit and toughness of Erskine, maybe then he'd actually add something to the team.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I thought the call after Erskine on Backstrom was weak as well compared to some of the stuff they were doing to Ovie/Semin in 3rd Ovie's "elbowing" call seemed excessive too. Gordon's xcheck looked like a bad penalty at real speed but on the replay it was probably the weakest call of them all.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Can you believe that letter from the Rangers? Like New York fans don't shout obscenities at the other team, the refs, whoever will listen. And they make no mention of Tortorella's behavior, like throwing a water bottle at a fan. Scariest to me was that the guy actually was wielding a hockey stick at the fans. That is out of control sickness, I am sorry. And what "discipline" should the Caps be given even if their security was ineffective, which I am not convinced of anyway?

Posted by: chevychase10 | April 26, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

EVERYONE should show up to game 7 wearing a raincoat and maybe an umbrella...Torts can't be squirting water and throwing water bottles at us fans...cry baby..is his last name TortaCrosby?

Posted by: lucaslikesbugs | April 26, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@MKadyman

The Erskine call was bad, and the Backstrom call was questionable. That's four minutes of penalties and one 5-on-3 opportunity. Later in the period, refs missed a high stick to OV's face and then a hook at neutral ice after that. So the officiating was off today. If the Caps had lost, I wouldn't have blamed the refs because it's never their fault. But they missed some calls today.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

CDon, true. I wonder what he would be like by now if we had left him in Hershey for a while.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

It's time for me to check out rags blog. =) This be fun.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
don't be an SC07 though

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 26, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

A Rag fan wrote:

Dear Bruce Boudreau,

The check cleared....best of luck in the second round.

Regards,

Gary Bettman
----------------
Loser rags fans! They think the officials were helping us win this game. LOL! Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

whatever the reason for our D stepping it up, there is no reason to put Schultz back in. Who is he better than?

Posted by: MKadyman | April 26, 2009 5:35 PM

I don't have an issue with Ovy being on the ice, but Semin really had no business being out there. Was he out there a lot? I didn't notice him. He was outshined by Kozlov today.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

That's funny! But lets face it, if somebody's paying off refs to get us to the second round, its ol' Gary himself, not Bruce.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

I think another season or two in Hershey would've helped him positionally. But I wonder if it would've given him some of that toughness you need as a D-man. I mean, you don't have to be as physical as Erskine, for example, but you have to be willing to lay a hit and take a hit from time to time. And Schultz doesn't seem willing to pay that price. Does Hersey teach him that? I don't know.

Of course, we were saying the same thing about Jurcina last year. He would always shy away from contact, and as a result, he would turn the puck over like crazy. But I've been really pleased with his physical presence this year. He'll lay a hit when he needs to. I don't even see Schultz push someone toward the boards.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Rachel, please mind Capt_Kirk.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 26, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Kirk: I wouldn't leave a comment. Just reading their comments, I feel bad and don't want to make them angrier. I just wanted to see what they were saying. They said Varly gives up a bunch of rebounds but the Rags can't put it in. Oh yeah they called him "Karlamov."

They're also complaining about the officials! omg! they had two 5-on-3 and the first 5-on-3 was 2 ticky tack calls.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@cs

I don't know about that, Kozlov was horrible until he scored his goal. Semin didn't factor in any goals but him and Backstrom looked good together for 2 periods. The 3rd was like playing a prevent defense. Just watch the clock roll.

Only Rangers fans would think being up 3-1 in the series while getting outscored 8-7 made any sense. Sorry kids, no Theodore in net for us, and no gems/luck by Lundy, and you're just not good enough to play with the Caps.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

hope varly can stand on his head on tuesday and lundy gets pulled after 1 :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 26, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Rachel,

Props.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | April 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

CDon, you might be right. I'm not sure. My brother had the same problem as Schultz. Size, but no "mean streak" to go with it. Unless something odd happens, he'll be back next season. We'll just have to hope he comes back a bit grittier.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

The Caps dominated for two periods and then coasted through a sloppy third. It was good to see Green light the lamp. It was also encouraging to see blueliners Poti and Jurcina join in the fun as well.

The momentum has turned a 180 in Washington's favor. New York will put up a good fight on Tuesday. However, I simply can't envision the Caps dropping Game 7 at home. Too many weapons; too much momentum.

Posted by: Terptwin | April 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl, I'm not sure, either. Just my view on the whole matter. But I do think he needs that mean streak. And you're right, he'll be back, so we have to hope he has a shift in his mentality, even if it's slight.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Ranger fans crying on N.Y post about the refs...The Rangers had 8 power plays to our 2..I love it!...UNLEASH THE FURY!

Posted by: boobweeble | April 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope there's extra security behind the bench Tuesday to protect the fans from Tortorella.

Posted by: rw-c | April 26, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Who said to check out the Rangers' boards. I'm sorry, but those folks are pitiful.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 26, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

CDon, maybe we can hire a kid to follow him all summer and kick him in the shins and ask him repetitive stupid questions. He'll come back so frustrated that he can't hit the little kid that he'll hit everyone else.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

jmu, haha. That would be fantastic. I'd happily take that job. The annoying question could center on that awful play he made in Game 1 that led to the decisive score. That would probably piss him off something righteous. I really do think Schultz could be valuable to the team if he would just hit someone. Here's hoping.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

A few days ago I said that we were done. That we weren't tough enough and that we had no secondary scoring. NEVERMIND!

Posted by: markfromparkville | April 26, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

CDon, But he might actually hit you. We need a little kid, preferably 3-6 years old. The cuter and more innocent and sweet looking the better.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Huh... according to the Rags' 'interim' coach, Mo bit Dubinsky during the scuffle and Dubi had to get a tetanus shot.

Interesting, if true... I could see a pretty stiff suspension coming down for shenanigans like that.

Posted by: KurtNYC | April 26, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Shoane Morrisonn BIT Brandon Dubinsky? Oh dear.

Didn't Tuomo Ruutu do that do someone before? Or was it Jarkko Ruutu? It was a Ruutu. Why are these hockey players biting other players?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

True, jmu. But I might take my chances because I'm that convinced Schultz wouldn't hit me.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I missed the Caps game since I was at the Baltimore Orioles game. However, the Baltimore game results were a harbinger of what was happening to the Caps. The Orioles had a come from behind win against guess what team. None other than the Texas Rangers, who also wear blue. Meanwhile, I was doing some serious scoreboard watching of other baseball games, specifically the one where the Washington Nationals were playing the New York Mets. The Mets got off to a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st but the Nats stormed back to take the lead in the bottom of the first and then kept scoring and scoring and the final score was 8-1. So I got to see the Orioles beat one set of Rangers, followed another Washington team beat a New York team. And, yes, the Nationals wear red, white, and navy blue, like the Caps, and the primary uniform color for the Mets is blue.

I was sending my "beat NY" vibes and "beat Rangers" vibes to the teams. So, that happened in both sports.

I figured it was a talisman. I watch a baseball team beat the Rangers and follow the scoreboard for a Washington team as they beat a New York team. A wonderful day in sports.

See everyone at Verizon this Tuesday. I have my tickets!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 26, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, are you sure you're not thinking of Tim Conboy? (Is he still with the 'Canes organization, anyway?)

Posted by: KurtNYC | April 26, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

That sounds a little far-fetched. Just another drama turn in this series. The worst thing that could happen is a 1 game suspension and Jeff Schultz has to go back in. I shudder at the thought.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

That's a definite suspension for Mo, if true. And it's absolutely disgusting. That would be bad if Mo can't play because back comes Schultz. Ugh.

Posted by: CDon | April 26, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Kurt, you heard it too. The Rags are like little tattle tellers! First the letter about Caps fans, then Mo biting Dubinsky....

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I still haven't seen the Mo incident corroborated anywhere reputable... the same blog is saying that Betts is hurt 'significantly' and that the Rags are going to file another complaint with the NHL that Brash was allowed to play after shoving Orr during the warmups.

Posted by: KurtNYC | April 26, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@Terptwin

That sounds like the typical Caps win (when they get a substantial lead early). Good first 2 periods and sloppy third period. The team loses its focus a bit. But I'm sure the penalties didn't help.

It sounds like the Caps won in spite of the officials this time.

Now, let the Caps finish the job in their house. It would be poetic justice for a Tortorella coached team to go down to defeat against the Caps. The fans will be rocking the red on Tuesday. Go Caps!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 26, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I see Dubinsky got a game misconduct today. Way to go, Dubinsky.

The Rangers sound even filthier than the Philthy Flyers. (And that's been the case all series.)

I can see why Semin got in a fight with someone on that team. (Okay, Staal is not really a goon but that particular game was pretty physical, if I remember correctly.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 26, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"The so called "king" Henry" has been consistently ranked way below Varly for a while now. I actually feel sorry for him. He had to single-handedly steal wins for the Rangers in 3 games. He can't sustain this effort forever.

I hate to say "I told you so" but how many of you could resist this temptation? I said that we could never make it past round 1 unless we had an extraordinary goaltender and that Theo was not it. When Varly got in goal, the entire momentum changed. Had he been there from the start, we would not have to be in a hole.

But I still wonder what management was thinking relying on Theo for the playoffs. They were lucky that Varly was obviously ready. But he wasn't there by design. If it wasn't for Johny's surgery, we would have entered the playoffs with Theo and Johny--neither one playoff level. I do think this was a big flaw in their thinking and it bothers me.

As things stand now, however, I feel very confident about game 7. I just hope the boys don't let up pressure prematurely, as they did in the 3d period with stupid penalties and sloppiness. But I am very hopeful.

Posted by: caraveli | April 26, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Loved watching such a blow-out game, but boy, those NBC announcers were incredibly biased for the Rangers! I missed hearing Joe B and Craig L, big time. I hope they get to call Tuesday night's game. Caps showed they are the better team by far, and although anything can happen, I'm putting my marker on the Caps.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 26, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

That was definitely one of the Ruutu boys. He bit a Sabre on the hand and in a later interview they asked what his favorite food was and he joked "Buffalo fingers".

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 26, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

It is a great day my friends....Just got back from watching out and about...

See you Tuesday...Rest your voice...your gonna need it.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 26, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are in the Rangers' heads.

The Rangers GM and players are talking about the behavior of Caps fans in Game 5 and the hits delivered in Game 6, they aren't talking about playing HOCKEY.

Lundqvist kept an inferior Rangers team in this series by winning the 1-0 and 2-1 games largely through his own efforts.

The Rangers don't have the offensive talent to match the Caps and so have to goon it up with Avery and Orr head-hunting each game out.

Brashear had a definite cheap shot in Game 6 against Betts, but then again the Rangers lived and died with those kinds of cheapies from Games 1-5, so I don't really feel sorry for their club.

These guys obviously can't stand up and play 60 minutes of hard but clean hockey, so they should just shut up now that they have gotten some of their own back.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 26, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

I'm glad you were able to enjoy wins over two Rangers teams today! (I never forgave the Texas Rangers after they stole away from D.C. in '71.) Bring us another win at the VC on Tuesday night!!

Posted by: Terptwin | April 26, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

@Caraveli

Now I could be wrong on this so don't kill me, and I'm glad you're confident about Game 7...but weren't you one of the people when we were down 3-1 talking about how this team isn't playoff ready, etc?

I think we all agreed after watching Theo's Game 1 that he was either done or soon going to be. I thought he should get another game to redeem himself but I'd be lying if I said I thought he was going to suddenly play better.

I'm definitely going to be someone who said I told you so to pretty much everyone assuming we finish the job Tuesday night. Even at 3-1 I was pointing out all of the ridiculous things that had happened to get the series to where it was at the time. The only major media type that I saw who shared my thoughts on the series the entire time was LeBrun at espn.com. I thought he still gave more credit to Lundy than he deserved but people had to be mesmerized by something.

Just remember, it's never over.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Has anybody gone to the Rangers' blog? They are really down on their team and, I think, unfair to poor Lundquist. Some want him traded. This is what someone from their site said:

"Officiating aside. The Rangers haven't earned a thing today. They have lacked the passion and the smarts that they needed to win today. Their level of play never equals Washington. Honestly, I don't think the Caps need any assistance from the officials to beat the Rangers. They have the skill and have played at a higher level all series long. If I was a Caps fan I wouldn't get too excited about Varlamov just yet. The Rangers haven't tested him at all in this series."

What do you think about that last comment? Do you think Varly would last against an offensive team, like the Pens?

Posted by: caraveli | April 26, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

what a great game!! 3rd didnt matter, our guys were just trying not to get hurt and keep the rags from scoring too much. D got a little lax, but that penalty killing on the second 5 on 3 (the one where the rags didnt score) was beautiful!!

you all have to bring it at verizon for us out-of-towners again!! as ovi says "Our fans are one more player for us." so you all better bring your A game again :)

LETS GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: mrszilla | April 26, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

dccitizen1

"but boy, those NBC announcers were incredibly biased for the Rangers." I didn't even notice. By the end of the first period, they were ripping into the Rangers and calling us a superior team. And did you hear one of the at the end change his prediction from a Ranger's win to a Caps' win? This was so sweet...

Davethecapsfan: yes I know, we are not out of the woods yet. I don't want to jinx it. Up to game #3, the Caps did not look playoff ready. At game #3 they started becoming the team that took us to the second seed ranking. My confidence is restored but the momentum could be lost in a minute.

Posted by: caraveli | April 26, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree Varly hasn't really been tested yet. Had a version of this discussion on Pensblog, but it's very true the Rangers don't really scare anybody with their offense. I think Varly has been very solid but he also hasn't faced a real scary team yet either. If we can get through Game 7 we'll get to see more of the kid.

It's clear as day he's the #1 option though at this point. Also as I expected our D has stepped it up a little bit in this series.

Caraveli, it wasn't mostly you after looking back at some of the old threads, it was mostly Cstanton who thought we were done :)

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

I also still think we outplayed them in Games 1 and 2. Theo was an absolute joke in Game 1, and we played well enough to win it. I shouldn't complain though, that performance is the reason Varly is starting now.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

glad to see ov drop his shift average to 54 seconds.Fehr had only 7 shifts? did he get hurt?

Posted by: wendel2 | April 26, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I really miss Cheef, SC07, and the "guru". Where are you guys? It's ok, we know the only way we'll see you again. Enjoy the games guys!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

what a great game to go to. it was funny how a guy in an avery jersey argues with me and tries to lecture me on a brashear cheap shot. those refs couldve been wearing blue shirts, it wouldnt make the rags suck any less.

Posted by: miked3 | April 26, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to absorb the idea the refs were in favor of us. 2 PP's to 8? Believe me whatever calls they missed against us they invented later on.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Why was Brash's hit on Betts a cheap shot? Some could argue the hit was late but neither official called a penalty (he was given a minor for roughing when Mara attacked him). This is the NHL, Betts skated with his head down and got clobbered..WaaaWaaaWaaa.

Dubinsky should have received a five for intent to injure and a game misconduct but only received two for boarding, two for roughing and a ten minute misconduct...not a game so he'll be here Tuesday.

The Rag whining is getting old. Time to put a fork in 'em.

Posted by: meagle | April 26, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

meagle,
i think you could argue brash hit was late, but pretty clearly he had his elbow tucked when he hit him. its unfortunate but thats what happens. i'm all for eliminated head shots, but this is one of those where i think the height difference got him.

the problem i have is that it was not necessary at that point in the game. no need to fire up the rags, no need to go the extra mile to make that hit. look at carcillo and his ill time fight w/ talbot last night. no need to shake the hive when the b's are sleeping.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 26, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

someone said up top that all the caps penalties were legit and people pointed out Erskine's. Also the second call on Brash was a phantom call, completely due to his reputation and what he did earlier. I don't think brash even touched whoever that was.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 26, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

love that we've come back and I'm 100 percent positive we'll win on tuesday. We're just plain and simple a better hockey club. Even if Lundqvist is on fire, we'll win on Tuesday.

But I'm completely embarrassed for our team after seeing the Brashear hit.

It was completely bush league -- a dirty hit by a guy who has no place in today's game.

It's not like he went after Orr. And he wasn't going after the guy who hit him on the boards.

Just a head shot. Ihere's no defending it.

Let's Go Caps.

Posted by: sinbin | April 26, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Caraveli: "I do want to know what others think about some people's assertion that Varly has not been really tested by a team with a really strong offense."

Rangers didn't look strong today in offense against the Caps, and I think the D was playing better today, so maybe the point is good about Varlamov not being truly tested yet. I think you have to factor in the pressure issue on this 20-turns-21-tomorrow kid, though. The poise is unbelievable, and that must come from confidence in his skills. As long as the Caps D keeps working as hard as they can, Varlamov can face tougher offensive lines. IMHO.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 26, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

What I find so funny is that the Rangers are acting like we're the "bad guys" now. And they have nothing better to do than send in letters to Bettman and try to get us punished.

It's like they want people to feel sorry for them. Yeah the Brash hit was dirty and it's unfortunate that Betts is hurt. But the Rangers better not go around acting like we're the bad guys and they're the good guys. We could've sent a letter to Gary Bettman asking him to review Avery's
intentionally elbowing of Jurcina, his intentionally high sticking of Pothier in the face, or the Colton Orr clotheslining of Alex Semin. They've been dirty too.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 26, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

lol, Bring on Joe B & Laugher! Milbury & McGuire were like the NY apologetic broadcast team, making excuses for them Rags.

Posted by: Max231 | April 26, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, all this about how the Rangers suck and they know it, and how much better we are, Game 7 is lock - cut it out.

The Rangers have a 3 time Vezina finalist in goal and some gritty players.

If the Rangers suck and we're that great, why is this series tied at 3? 1) Because the Rangers don't suck; 2) the Caps thought they could sleep walk past the Rangers, 3) the Caps have played some great hockey in this series but haven't been dominant for three entire periods - 60 whole minutes.

Game 7 is not a lock if we come back and play like we did in games 1 and 2. Game 7 is a lock if the Caps played like they did in the first two periods. Stop taking things for granted. That's why the Rangers took two from the Caps at home.

I agree that the first 5-3 was BS, but the call on Backstrom wasn't a BS call. It was close. But Backstrom has been doing that crap all year long. The Brashear shot was cheap even if technically not a penalty. The Caps don't need to be doing that kind of crap.

If the Caps read their press and see how everyone is writing off the Rangers, don't be surprised if the next time you see the Caps is on the Golf Channel.

They should win, but only if they play with the intensity and passion that was on display in games 3, 5 and today in periods one and two.

If I sound critical it's only because I want to see this team advance - and they can if they do what they've been doing of late.

And VarLOMvo is da BOMB!!

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 26, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh what hypocrites the Rangers are. They are complaining that the Caps and their fans are bad guys but look how many game misconducts their guys have had this series: Avery, Colton Orr, Dubinsky. And that's not even all of them.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 26, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Figured I'd share something from the neutral perspective. Here's an email I got from a friend of mine who knows hockey very well and is a Bruins fan. He watched the last 2 of our games:

NYR cannot hold a candle to the Caps. Explain once again how this series has gone 7. The Rangers are short in so many ways. I was hoping the B's would play the Rangers as the best possible match-up. Looks like it will be Pittsburgh. Their offense will be tough to match, especially in Pittsburgh.

Posted by: ranndino | April 26, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I think its fair to say that Varlamov is not near "elite" right now. So there are many teams where you'd have to give them the advantage as far as goaltending -- Brodeur, Thomas, Fleury, at least.

He still has sometimes erratic rebound control, he can be over-aggressive, has been beaten more than a few times by well-placed but not Semin-quality wristers, etc.

But it's fine! He's made just one clear-cut error in 5 games. All things considering, it's amazing. He seems to be good enough already to give the Caps a chance in every game. The best thing is -- he seems to be very strong mentally, and that means odds are very good that he's going to get better and better, unlike many young goalies who can regress badly if they get exposed early in their career.

Needless to say, a strong performance in Game 7 would do wonders for his and Caps' overall confidence.

Posted by: VladG | April 26, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

If you are not going to game 7 and are in VA outside the beltway, come on out to Bungalow Billards in Chantilly (aka Verizon West). great fans and great food. it's like going to the game without having to pay for a ticket or making the trip or sitting in traffic. COME ON OUT AND SUPPORT THE CAPS, with the faithful!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 26, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

If we play like we did in Game 1 we'll still win. Jose Theodore is the only reason we lost Game 1. I still thought we were the better team in Game 2 but the Rangers packed it in great and mucked up their zone enough to have the 1-0 stand up. They were not comfortable doing it though.

That being said I expect more of an effort befitting the fact that it's Game 7 and we know what's on the line. I'll hold off any predictions beyond until after we've won Game 7.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have any idea when the second round will begin?

Posted by: eggseronius | April 26, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

"Game 7 is not a lock if we come back and play like we did in games 1 and 2. Game 7 is a lock if the Caps played like they did in the first two periods. Stop taking things for granted. That's why the Rangers took two from the Caps at home
Posted by: VeloStrummer"

I completely agree. The "Rangers suck" mentality does not reflect the reality of a 3-1 lag and has been the attitude that caused our earlier demise. The minute the Caps relaxed in the third period, they scored two goals against us. The Caps have to play the way they did in the first two periods for 60 minutes. I think they will but they still have to prove it.

Posted by: caraveli | April 26, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I wonder how folks are sounding on the Rangers board. There must be all kinds of doom and gloom going on. I'll admit that if I were a Rangers fan, I'd be feeling awfully pessimistic about their chances.

The Caps need to come out on Tuesday with a "finish the job" mentality and come out strong. Come out with a "we want to win in our house" mentality.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 26, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Pass the following on to your friend, the Bruins fan. I hope the Bruins take good care of Pittsburgh in Round 2 and dump them good. I can't stand Pittsburgh.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 26, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I go on NY Daily News alot and they don't post like we do, one post every 1/2 hour, b-o-r-i-n-g.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 26, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Have my tickets...up in the nose bleeds but who cares. Wooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

caraveli:
i don't see a letdown from the caps - they have play the last game of the season twice now and i can't see how their attitude will change between now and the drop of the puck on tuesday. i agree also - they need to play a full 60 minutes just like the first 40 from games 3, 5 and 6. any effort less than that means the game could go either way.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 26, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

214 row K baby! I'll be rockin the RED! (In my road jersey :-0 )

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 26, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

My apologies if someone else brought this up earlier, but don't feel like reading 142 comments to see...is it just me, or are the fine folks (sarcastic) at NBC complete NY homers or do they just hate the Caps? Not that I really care since we won, but it did become irritating by the end of the game.

Posted by: alpca3877 | April 26, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I knew the CAPS could do it! Is it me, or does it seem like the CAPS need to have their backs up against the wall to play hard in the playoffs? I was appauled at the behavior of Tortorella at the last game. I think the Rangers can thank him for their terrible showing at game 6.

Posted by: kingd9698 | April 26, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@snake,

Man! Road jersey? I might have to make you go to KCI and get a big red tee...

Posted by: saintex | April 26, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I hate to bring it up, but it's not Schultz, it's Semyon. These guys play a whole new defensive game with him back there - Schultz will be fine.

Posted by: saintex | April 26, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

It comes down to a one game series now.We played this tune last season, and hopefully we use that as a learning expierence. These Rangers are not last years flyers in any way shape or form. Buckle your chin straps boys....we need 60 minutes of good hockey.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 26, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

even if some posters are locking up a spot in the second round, you can be sure the Caps players aren't. They know what happened last year and BB will not let them get too high after this win. I expect them to come out fired up and play a solid game.

I too will not take part in any predicting except to say I'm confident about our chances.

Whale up 2-0 by the way. Devils getting outshot 22-5

Posted by: Moose33 | April 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I love Brash but I didn't want to see that today vs. Betts. I wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended. Brash has always played by the code and think he was off-book today. If he wants to hunt down the guy that got him, have at it. But, he took out Betts at the end of Betts' shift and that's not cool. I was late and I'll leave it at that.

What I want from the Caps is to not play down to those crappy tactics. Believe it not, this team is much tougher than we give them credit for and they don't retaliate aside from clean shots. I don't want to be the NYRs or the Flyers. I want them to win and walk off the ice proud for playing hard.

Game 7 will be a huge battle. A fantastic effort today and I'm proud of the fight back. One more.

It takes four.

Posted by: saintex | April 26, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

make that 3-0 canes...wow, devils getting smacked around.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 26, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Devils are getting worked right now. Funny stuff...if we finish the job Tuesday and the Canes hang on tonight and pull off a road win in Game 7 we would get Pitt in round 2. I know most of you don't want that and I'd rather see that only in the ECF but it makes my hockey fan side happy.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

no no no, I want the Devils in round 2, let the Bruins deal with the drama that is the Flightless Fowl.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Question: In the playoffs, when people say "teams will be reseeded after round 1" - what does that mean? Does that mean that, regardless of the brackets, that the highest regular season seed remaining will the play the lowest? Or is it done differently?

Posted by: patrone | April 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I want that too so we could get Pitt in the ECF...but if tonight is any indication NJ would need a big turnaround when they go home for Game 7.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

kingd9698

I agree that when their backs are up against the wall Caps seem to play with the intensity and focus needed. I hope they can play with intensity under normal circumstances also.

The Rags' blog is so hilarious. It is strange though how much less than us they write. I don't know what it means.

Here is my report: They were upset by Ovie's comment, congratulating the fans for harassing the Ranger coach. I agree. This was not very tasteful.

Did you know that we are known as "CRAP-itals" and "redbecks?" I have to admit, however, that we are much meaner than they are in name-calling and putting down hated rivals.

They admit that we are a better team and seem to expect to lose. But they are mainly furious with their team, coach and poor Lundy. I don't know if the players are as demoralized as the fans.

And here is a question in case we make it to round #2. Do we prefer to play against the Devils or Carolina?

Posted by: caraveli | April 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

a hopeful note for Tuesday: except for Varly, every single guy that will play in red Tuesday was there for last year. They know what its like to lose game 7. They are not going to elt it happen again.

Anyone else watching the Canes-Devils? Not cool that the Canes totally ripped off the horn!

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@patrone

Yes it means Boston being the #1 see will play the lowest remaining seed in the East no matter who it is. That's why assuming we win, we could only play NJ or Pitt. Carolina as the lowest seed left (assuming we beat the Rangers) would have to play Boston if they advanced.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patrone | April 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

that's exactly it.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@ VeloStrummer

If the Rangers suck and we're that great, why is this series tied at 3?

---

As I have explained at least 10 times it's because Theodore gifted them game 1 and Henrik absolutely stole games 2 & 4. It's not because we were bad in those games or they outplayed us. You have to look past just the score when evaluating how the games went. BTW, Boudreau said pretty much the same things if you've been following his interviews.

The Rangers DO suck. They're unable to muster any offense and they're unable to prevent us from creating tons of scoring chances. They're a team with tons of problems in many areas. As soon as their goalie stopped standing on his head and we actually got one we killed them. I have no doubt that we'll win game 7 (and so far I've been right every time).

If I'm wrong I promise to eat a fish dish (I hate seafood).

Posted by: ranndino | April 26, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Where are you now Subaru456?

Posted by: cfrazier91 | April 26, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

ranndino:
if you are wrong - there is no way for us to verify that you actually ate the fish. how about you are not allowed to trash any players you hate or thought played poorly?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I'm with you chief, been calling this series the whole way. Check out the link I posted to LeBrun's blog following the series, he's been saying the same thing pretty much the entire time.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Subaru is off helping the Rangers compose letter to Gary Bettman about how some must be done about those big mean Capitals.

"Dear Gary,

Please do something about those awful bruts! They're simply insufferable and hurt our feelings! Oh, do make them go away.

Sincerly,

The New York Figure Skating Club, aka, Rangers"

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Well I've been looking for a Laich home jersey, but I haven't been able to find one. Looks like I'll have to call KCI to see if they can make one in the AM to be ready by gametime on Tues!

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 26, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Just got off NY Daily News and Rag fans have thrown in the towel, they ALL complained exceesively about the officiating, and are HELL bent on making Brashear pay. And thats it....pretty much par for the course for ignorant NY fans...Their site kind of sux too.. because all the Dev and Isle fans give them crap too.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 26, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

snake, sometimes the team store at the phonebooth has Laich jerseys. I'm not sure what their hours are, though, or if they have any in stock at the moment.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks!

So yeah - who do we want to play? Pit or NJD?

My vote is for NJD (I think we can beat them) - but I'd really like to see a revival of the Pitt rivalry (though I think we'll loose - Marc Andre Flurey is just as good a Lunquist and Pitt's offense is WAAAAY better than NYR).

Posted by: patrone | April 26, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

cfrazier91-

good call! it seems we have lost all of our vehicular friends, along with SC. hopefully the caps can keep them shut up.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 26, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

new post is up.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter who we play- we can beat any team in this league. We are GOOD, but we all know its better to be lucky than good, and luck is not something you can predict. So for now, LETS GO CAPS on Tuesday, then we'll take it from there. :D

Posted by: apollak8 | April 26, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

@ CDon

Way to open up the bidding here tonight. He got scored on on the power play twice. One of them was a 5 on 3. Then, 6 seconds from the end of a game that had been over for 15 minutes, he gets caught looking. If we have a weak spot, it is not Varly. His concentration (when fully required) has been reliable. His athleticism and quickness are like nothing I've ever seen between the pipes on our end of the ice (young Olie was big and positionally sound, but nowhere near the athlete Varly is). If we are to lose, it wont be Varly losing it for us.

If we lose Tuesday, it will be because our forwards get complacent and lazy, and think they have the series in the bag. Half-ass efforts from superstars will be the end of our season.

Posted by: large23220 | April 26, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@ Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

If I were wrong in yet another prediction I will eat the fish dish during one of my video replies to Mike Wise. How's that?

BTW, as I've mentioned numerous times I don't hate any of the Caps players and I'm entitled to criticize performance of players who aren't playing well. It's easy for them to stop getting criticized by me. They just need to perform at a good level. For example, when Theo had a good stretch I gave him credit. Like I said, I do not have any agenda and simply evaluate as objectively as I can based on having watched hockey for 20 years.

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse