Game 7: Here they are again

Morning roundup

A Game-7-again themed collection of morning links:

*Thomas Boswell: In the last 25 years, the Capitals have blown a two-game lead in a playoff series six times. This year's stakes, with Washington the best team in the NHL in the regular season, are higher than ever.

*Caps are preparing without injured defenseman Tom Poti.

Game 7: Canadiens at Capitals
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: The Fan 106.7
Postgame chat: Discuss Game 7 with Gene Wang

Assorted morning reading material

*Here's why the Habs have the Caps right where they want them. (Montreal Gazette)

*History is not on the Caps' side. (Homer McFanboy)

*"This is Ovechkin's team, this is Ovechkin's time." (ESPN)

*Ouch. (DC Landing Strip)

*More Game 7 chatter from Ed Frankovic, CapsBlog, CSN, RMNB, Japers' Rink, OFB, FanHouse.

*Bog offerings: Game 6 is a new ratings record | Leonsis, Ovie and D.C. sports celebrity

*From the Style section: Capitals' wives and girlfriends support each other and stay out of the limelight

Ted Leonsis close to owning a D.C. sports empire

*Ted Leonsis on the Caps: "Small revenue, but with a disproportionately big impact on a community." | Read the profile by Les Carpenter »

*More on Leonsis: Photo gallery | Interactive timeline

*Tracee Hamilton on the daunting tasks ahead for Ted Leonsis. | Q&A, 9:30 a.m.

Stay tuned for a morning skate update from Tarik at KCI.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 28, 2010; 5:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps call up Alzner
Next: Varlamov appears set to start

Comments

Let's Go CAPS!!!!

Posted by: maryjane2 | April 28, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

12hrs to face-off.
Let's hope the players are as ready as our fans are hopeful.

Posted by: ozcapfan | April 28, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Boswell about the stakes being "higher than ever". This is the biggest game in the history of the Capitals franchise.

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | April 28, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

This isnt close to the biggest game in franchise history...Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals was the biggest game...

That being said...we got to win this...we WILL win this..

Posted by: SA-Town | April 28, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

As long as the Caps don't grip their sticks too tight they should be ok...we have beaten Halak before and can do it again. Get traffic in front of the net, play physical, and play YOUR game! We are clearly the better team here and hopefully a bounce or two will go our way...

If the Caps lose however...I will be extremely dissapointed, but people...plenty of teams have had upsets before! I will still love this team and defend them to the bone...the only thing that really upsets me is the prospect of another year of ugly Pens fans on this blog giving me grief for every bad moment we ever had!

Posted by: capscoach | April 28, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

One other thing...is it anoying to anyone else that people keep referring to all the other times we belw an 3-1 lead and then lost...I am pretty sure that what happened to the teams way back in the day has NO impact on the team now...it only serves to depress people...or uplift then if they are a Habs fan.

Posted by: capscoach | April 28, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Hi SA ...

I really disagree. The expectations of that Caps team that played Detroit were pretty low. As I recall, it was more of a "happy to be here" feel than anything else. I don't think anyone went into the playoffs that year thinking that the Caps were a prohibitive favorite to get deep into the playoffs.

This year's Caps team is simply the best they've ever put on the ice, and because of that, expectations are extremely high. That, combined with the fact that they are the President's Cup winner, playing a very marginal team, etc. etc. make this game incredibly important. As others have said, an 8-seed has never recovered from being down 3 games to 1. If that were to happen tonight, I do believe the game will be viewed as the biggest in team history, and will necessitate changes in the organization.

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | April 28, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

PensFan is right, this is bigger. No one expected that the Caps would win a game in that series. This year, we all expected the cup.

Posted by: underpants2 | April 28, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

P.S. I agree with capscoach about previous teams facing 3-1 deficits "way back in the day". Nobody from those teams is still here, and there's no such thing as curses or karma. I really don't know why people put so much stock in the ancient history of a team (not just in hockey, but in all sports).

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | April 28, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

They have had a target on their backs all year. They have dodged many bullets all season and now someone finally brought out a bazooka.

I really appreciate what the Wings were able to do on the road last night in Phoenix. The Wings also had a target on them all year and earned their way to round 2.

If I am right the last 4 Game 7's have been won by road teams:

DET @ PHX
PIT @ DET
PIT @ WSH
CAR @ BOS

due for a home team to win...

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 28, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I just hope Poti hasn't suffered any permanent eye damage. :( And it occurs to me that if we'd closed out in 5, he wouldn't have gotten hurt at all. Sigh.

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 28, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

@PensFan98

I agree completely, but it is understandable how those defeats would effect the psyche of some fans. It makes them think that the Capitals will lose because that's what they awlays do. But it has no effect on the outcome.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Take all the stats, talking points, blowhard's analysis and chuck them into the bonfire.

This is it.
This is the one game for all the bananas.

It was never going to be easy and tonight we separate the men from the boys.

This is Ovie's team and it's Ovie time. It's long overdue for Ovie to step up like Sid does in these types of situations.

Forget about the Olympics and forget about the suspensions.

Ovie has to come out of the gate like the lion he was before the suspension.

HE has to set the tone.
HE has to take control of the game.
HE has to start running over people and put the fear of god into those smallish Habs forwards and big slow defencemen.

HE has to prove that the "C" on his sweater means something.

It's your night tonight Ovie!
It's your time to step up and start to prove you are a dominant force in the game.

I know you're more than some flashy regular season stat forward.
Right?
It's your game for the taking Ovie.

How bad do you want it?
Seize the moment!

Posted by: htgolf | April 28, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I was very nervous about this game yesterday. But I woke up this morning and realized that we're the Washington Capitals! We are bursting at the seams with talent and it will be on display tonight for all to witness. Final score: 4-2 Caps. UNLEASH THE FURY!!!

Posted by: geester1 | April 28, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Traffic Traffic Traffic in front of the net...that was the only thing missing and if we have it tonight then Halak will be handed his mortality!

Posted by: capscoach | April 28, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

This is it.
This is the one game for all the bananas.

It was never going to be easy and tonight we separate the men from the boys.

Forget about the Olympics and forget about the suspensions.

Ovie has to come out of the gate like the lion he was before the suspension.

HE has to set the tone.
HE has to take control of the game.

HE has to prove that the "C" on his sweater means something.

It's your night tonight Ovie!

I know you're more than some flashy regular season stat forward.
Right?
It's your game for the taking Ovie.

How bad do you want it?
Seize the moment!

Posted by: htgolf | April 28, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

******

Days like this I am some glad our star player is not named Olie Jokinen :-)

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 28, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Tonight!

...we get our swag back.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 28, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

This is it.
This is the one game for all the bananas.

It was never going to be easy and tonight we separate the men from the boys.

Forget about the Olympics and forget about the suspensions.

Ovie has to come out of the gate like the lion he was before the suspension.

HE has to set the tone.
HE has to take control of the game.

HE has to prove that the "C" on his sweater means something.

It's your night tonight Ovie!

I know you're more than some flashy regular season stat forward.
Right?
It's your game for the taking Ovie.

How bad do you want it?
Seize the moment!

Posted by: htgolf | April 28, 2010 7:41 AM |

Anybody else hear the Battle Hymn of the Republic playing while they read this?

"...Glory, glory, hallelujah!
His truth is marching on!"

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 28, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I'd say Game 2 of the '98 Cup Finals was the biggest game because our Caps blew 3-1 and 4-2 leads (and Essa Tikannen's great post season defensive-pest work was forgotten in scapegoating him for missing an empty net when they had the 4-2 lead). I really thought the series could have gone either way if they'd won that. I attended game 3 with a buddy but the Caps seemed to retrogress to "just happy to be here" in games 3-4 in D.C.

To me heaping more and more pressure on the game just increases the chances they'll flop as in the Pens Game 7 last year. They just need to play their game and be smarter in the 1st period. If they spend the game panicking that "this is the MOST important Caps game EVER and if we don't win everyone's going to get fired!" it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy imho.

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 28, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Keep the faith. Let the big game hunters come out! This is not the same Caps who lost all those series in the 80's and 90's. This is an offensive machine that knows how to pull clutch wins led by a clutch coach who I believe makes the right adjustments. Love what BB did with lines/centers last game. Got them going. Just didint put in net.

Posted by: DWGie | April 28, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach

Agreed. It's getting very old. The Caps could have won 10 Cups in their past and either way, it won't affect the outcome of tonight's game. Look at the Oilers. :P

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 28, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Alright, should be a good one tonight. Normally the team that wins game 6 has the edge, but Washington outplayed Montreal pretty badly last game (other than Halak) so I don't think that's the case this time.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 28, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I never thought much of Boswell, but I liked his article today. The guy has a winner attitude. Rise to the challenge, just play the game, this is not the same Caps team, etc. are examples of how winners with winning attitudes think and talk. Winners with winner attitudes can spot losers with loser attitudes a mile away. For an example of a loser attitude read lylewimbledon's remarks. Heck, even a guy from Australia(ozcapsfan) has a winner attitude.

I singled out ozcapsfan because, well he's from Australia, but I am happy and pleased to see some other winner attitudes here, you know who you are.

C'mon Caps rise to the challenge.

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 28, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I hope the boys come out smashing everything tonight. If not, give me a jersey and I'll do it myself. I can't fathom they won't come out firing tonight.

If they don't, maybe the Stanley Cup doesn't matter much to Europeans but I know all the Canadian Caps understand how big of a deal it is.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 28, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I cant predict who will win, but I can predict that we will be loud..we got to help the boys dig deep.

Last years last 3 minutes vs the Rangers was the highlight of my 20+ years as a Caps fan...bring that intensity back...lets do it.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 28, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

@ LloydChristmas

That is a borderlone racist comment...please...the Cup means everything to all NHL players...why do people think Canadians have the monopoly on hockey love and spirit?

Posted by: capscoach | April 28, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach: you get the first star of the blog today! Great attitude. Stay positive and ROCK THE RED tonight!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 28, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

@ capscoach,

I don't think it's meant to be racist (at least I didn't take it that way).

I think what some people think is that many Euro players play a less physical, less intimidating, less crash-the-boards, less go-to-the-net style of hockey than many North American players do. Many of the euro players rely more on skill, technique, tape-to-tape finesse, etc which often serves them well during the regular season, but often leaves much to be desired during the playoffs.

Obviously, there are plenty of exceptions, but as a general observation, it seems to me like there are more North American (US and Can) players willing to "get dirty" come playoff time.

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | April 28, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Capscoach:

Semin couldn't care less about the cup.

Euros are just happy to be in a "free" country making millions playing a sport.

From the day canadians are born, they are taught...nothing else matters but the Stanley Cup. Whether its "you" winning it, or the team "you" root for...

Wish we relied on more Canadians...but, we don't, so we have to deal with what we have and win tonight...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 28, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

capscoach, I don't think it was borderline racist as much as cultural. I think you might agree that growing up in Canada, the exposure and pursuit of the Cup is omni-present, compared to someone growing up in Europe.

That being said, all the Caps had to do was watch the Wings last night. Think they were nervous? They just took care of business against a really good goaltender.See quotes below:

"It was more like a hurricane than a storm," Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said. "Their top players came out and dictated the pace and we had no answers. They were relentless. They turned it up another level that we couldn't get to."

"They played unbelievable," Bryzgalov said. "You can say maybe we didn't play good enough, maybe we had some mistakes. It's tough to say, but they were unreal tonight."

Posted by: squidly666 | April 28, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Racist? haha. okaaaaaaaay. Since when does being European have to deal with someone's race? That is such a stupid comment I don't think I can provide any more of a response. Demographics does not equal race. I had some respect for your comments up until now.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 28, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

My point is that the NHL is not televised globally. That'd be like any of us going over and playing for the Swedish Elite or KHL. I could care less about their championchip. Of course I'd want to still win, but it wouldn't be the same. Try looking at things from a different perspective before you start making acqusations.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 28, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

sorry champtionship and accusations... blah

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 28, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

@ SoaringCaps

I don't know what Lloyds intentions were, but to generalize all Euro players into one category is wrong in my opinion and either culturally naive or racist. I don't think there is a player more competitive than Ovie. I would think all hockey players want to win and I am sure there are players from Canada who care more about money than Cups. I am a social studies teacher and maybe I am just programmed to fight any type of stereotyping.

@ PensFan98

completely agree about Euro style of play...I just don't think it is right to post things that sound like Euros don't care about the Cup. I just have been dissapointed with the anti-euro attitude I have seen since the Olympics.

Posted by: capscoach | April 28, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I know that they have the desire to win.
I know they have the ability to win.
I expect them to win.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | April 28, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I know that they have the desire to win.
I know they have the ability to win.
I expect them to win.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | April 28, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Should be a great game, a winning game. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Justafan | April 28, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@lloyd

The Cup is the biggest championship in hockey...barring maybe olympic gold! If you are a professional hockey player than you want the top professional prize. And maybe European is not a technical race, but you know what I meant and nit picking words does not change the meaning or validity.

So maybe your comments seemed borderline prejudiced to me...happy now? And lets not pretend that there isn't an anti-euro bias in the league. I was not saying you are a racist (or prejudiced) person...I just didn't agree with your comment...sorry if the words came out a bit harsh.

Posted by: capscoach | April 28, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I just have a couple of requests...

1. First and foremost a Caps win tonight.

2. Can we get some support on here for the boys and NO negativity today? I got all that out of my system yesterday. But it's a new day and we just need to win 1 game, the past DOES NOT MATTER TONIGHT!!

3. Anyone going to the game please make more noise then you have ever made in your life and cheer the Caps to a win tonight.

Posted by: Firepelosi | April 28, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

don't choke.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 28, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I agree with you. I think people also forget that most of the european players playing in the NHL are at the top of the skill level because grinders from europe are less likely to be recuited to come over because of many reasons (expenses, may replacements, they can be a star if they stay in european leagues, etc.).

When "stars" don't perform it is almost always attriubted to effort and often is. This is the same in every sport from every country (Joe Thornton anybody?). But the sample size of europeans is not that big. And there are many cases of them performing extremely hard and well (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Malkin. Ovie and Backstrom have been the Caps best two players when Laich has been basically invisible all series)

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | April 28, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

jeff, not the biggest, but probably the most important game in caps history. playing in the cup finals is bigger cause it was the first time. beating florida to make the playoffs in 08 was bigger because it really solidified the fan base around this team. beating the flyers in 87 was bigger cause it exorcised some playoff demons and was a comeback from down 3-1 to a hated rival.

but for many reasons, this it the most important game for this franchise.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 28, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@Firepelosi

I agree with you. We have all analyzed the Caps to death.

All I want today is for the Caps to win. I don't care how they do it but just end up with more goals tonight than the Canadiens.

If the Caps are fortunate enough to win then we can go back to analyzing, and over analyzing, every bit of minutia.

Hopefully we can.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

If Montreal win tonight.....they deserve to move on. I didnt think any team would be able to beat us in three straight, and still don't think any team will. Go CAPS !!!

Rock the RED!!!
Play 60 minutes balls to the walls hockey!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 28, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Unleash the Fury

Come like a wild boar Ovi the Captain,
Come like a wild boar Ovi the Captain,
Beat Habs and crush them and make them piss their pants,
Here's to Caps and Ovi the Captain.

:-)

Posted by: Michael01a | April 28, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I BELIEVE.

Posted by: ljo211 | April 28, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Question:

We can complain all we want about the Caps play as of late, but I think any easter conference team would have had trouble against the post season Habs (halak). Do you think other teams would have blown past the Habs?

On another note...if we do move on(knock on wood please), I like our odds against the Flyers. I would have preffered to see them in the 1st round over the Habs, and now they are going to be missing three star players. Anything can happen in a game 7! Lets just try to think positive and have faith that our #1 in the league team shows up tonight...who do we think is in goal? I vote for Theo!

Posted by: capscoach | April 28, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Euros are just happy to be in a "free" country making millions playing a sport.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 28, 2010 8:53 AM

Myth. KHL pays more.
Next please.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 28, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

@ Capscoach

I meant to say, "MOST" Euros...

And it's true, sorry to say. And no, I'm not racist, just telling you how it is.

I don't hate them for it, I'm disappointed for it...because I would run through a brick wall for a chance to win the cup...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 28, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The leaders in Detroit stepped up and got it done last night. The penguins stepped up and got it done, that's what great teams do.

I am looking for Caps to step it up and get it done tonight.

Go Caps!!!!

Posted by: hamneed | April 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps

You should read this article.

http://rockthered.net/2010-articles/april/where-oh-where-has-handsomepants-gone.html" rel="nofollow"

Posted by: ablake70 | April 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

what if semin did not believe in one more game. history will be made. he will score caps 2 goals. caps win game 7....

Posted by: samb99 | April 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Could Bruce please wear a red tie tonight?

Posted by: bkelley1 | April 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Let's Go Caps!

Halak faced a ton of shots before giving up nine goals and being chased out in game three. He's going to crack in this game!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 28, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

So here's a question for anyone that can help out:

I have tickets to tonight's game- in the uppers- like row L I think. Unfortunately I destroyed my knee in my game last night, and there's no chance I can walk up and down the steps to get to my seat- let alone sit with my knee bent all night. I really need to keep it stretched out.

Does anyone know if VC would let me (and the person I'm taking) sit in the accessible seating area (so I can keep my knee extended)? I feel bad for even asking- but it's pretty jacked.

Or do they require a doctors note or something?

Posted by: Fro_ | April 28, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Can any life long Caps fan really envision us winning tonight? If so, I wish I had your optimism.

Last game, Verizon Center gave away season ticket holders to all fans in attendence. Can you believe that? An elimination game at home. Instead of giving out red towels for everyone to wave, these idiots gave out season ticket holders.

Posted by: underpants2 | April 28, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I am dying with nerves right now. I cannot wait!!!!

A few things about losing will absolutely kill me (aside from losing itself):

1 - Philly is really banged up and I would like our chances i nthat match up

2 - Pitt would get home ice in east now, which SUCKS

Posted by: adamkatzen | April 28, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

yesterday - depressed and thinking the worst.

today - expecting to win and celebrate afterwards in chinatown. we are too good of a team to lose this game. I dont care about the history anymore.

Caps 6 - Habs 1

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 28, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Caps 6 - Habs 1

Posted by: capsfansince74

God, I hope you are right.

Posted by: underpants2 | April 28, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: underpants2 | April 28, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

As a fan for 34 years, not only can I see them winning, but I know they will win.

I hope you aren't going to the game because this attitude belongs somewhere outside the VC.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan

I hope you are right as well, though as a fan for 34 years you should know better.

Posted by: underpants2 | April 28, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

This is it.
This is the one game for all the bananas.

It was never going to be easy and tonight we separate the men from the boys.

Forget about the Olympics and forget about the suspensions.

Ovie has to come out of the gate like the lion he was before the suspension.

HE has to set the tone.
HE has to take control of the game.

HE has to prove that the "C" on his sweater means something.

It's your night tonight Ovie!

I know you're more than some flashy regular season stat forward.
Right?
It's your game for the taking Ovie.

How bad do you want it?
Seize the moment!

Posted by: htgolf

It has to be more than just OV stepping up. Crosby had a bad game 6 vs OTT but the rest of his team did what they had to do. It's time for the passengers in the series to lend a hand with the driving. Team sport always has been always will be. Gretzky had Messier, Kurri, Coffey. Lemieux had Jagr, Francis. Hell even Crosby had Malkin, and Stall to help win a cup.

Team effort! Not some of them, all of them!

Posted by: jdove80 | April 28, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I have seen everything and I do not believe in curses. I was behind the goal that Dale Hunter won Game #7 against the Flyers and I was at the blue line for when LaFontaine broke our hearts.

I believe that we will win tonight because we have the best player in the world that will put everyone on his back to push through for a win.

OV with 2 goals, Knuble and Backstrom with 1 each. 4-2 Caps

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@CTCapsPhan - AMEN!!!

Go Caps - Support only Today. NO NEGATIVITY PLEASE. Especially if you are going to the game.

Look at it this way if you go you will either be seeing a monumentous Caps win or the last game of the year. Regardless, this team gets my support and any real fan should feel the same.

Side Note Here: Any word on the lineup or goalie yet????

Posted by: Firepelosi | April 28, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

These game 7s will be the death of me.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 28, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

TEB tweeted that Walker and Alzner are in.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Win, and make it quick. We fans deserve a nice, relaxing, drama-free hockey game. Don't be stretching it out to 5 overtimes or some nonsense like that.

Posted by: sandyflee | April 28, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey

I agree with that.

Also, TEB said Varly came off first so it looks like he will be starting.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

TEB tweeted that Walker and Alzner are in.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan

Can it be true? BB benched Flash? Corey M. says that he wasn't apart of any line rushes this morning.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 28, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Carlson is playing with Alzner

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Walker in for Flash? Lineup the same otherwise? No B-Mo? I'm a big Steckel fan, but I may sit him for B-Mo this game. Need speed, not size.

Posted by: adamkatzen | April 28, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I would start Theo, but admit it is a tough disucssion. If you're BB, if we win its the right choice; if not, well, then....

Completely agree with Walker. I said we needed more grit. Walker needs to get close enough to Halak that he knows what Walker ate for lunch. (Scott: Eat garlic.) I'm not saying we should "run" Halak, but I'm ok a with a few crease violations if it gets Halak off his game.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@fro.....call the Caps office at Kettler or Verizon Center and explain what you need, also brign along a note so they know the dog did not eat your homework, and if that does not work, when you get to the game, go the Administrative office on 7th street side, near clyde;s and ask for help, all I can sugggest.

Posted by: RichC3 | April 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

glad to see walker possibly playing, but i do worry about being thrown into game 7 after not playing all series. i think he's been around long enough and played in a few big enough games to do fine. I actually think he'll put one in tonight.

I would put Erksine in for Poti. I see Alzner being a little nervous tonight. Hopefully he'll feel comfortable playing together with his Hershey partner Carlson.

Caps 6 - Habs 1

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 28, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I don’t mind Varly starting tonight, however I'll be extremely disappointed if the Caps advance to the next round and Theo doesn’t get the start.

Posted by: guer_j | April 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@adamkatzen

I agree. I would have BMo in over Steckel.

I also see BMo as a type of player who will score in game 7 on a rebound because I don't see him ever getting jittery. BMo seems pretty unflappable.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

BMo is centering Laich and Semin. Steckel's out.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Steckel is out. So it will either be Flash or BMo as the other center. I'm hoping for BMo.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Is Chimera getting bumped up to the 3rd line with Belanger and Fehr or is Walker going to play on the 3rd line?

Posted by: sgm3 | April 28, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

According to twitter the lines are

Ovi-Backs-Knuble
Laich-BMo-Semin
Chimera-Belanger-Fehr
Walker-Gordon-Bradley

Posted by: ablake70 | April 28, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Like the lines!
I just dont like Belanger w/ Semin, they dont seem to groove together.

Posted by: guer_j | April 28, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps, your comments on Euros are nonsense. Our point leaders in the series are Ovie and Backie, who are, um...Euros.

The biggest disappointments in the series are Semin, Green, Laich, and Theodore...three of four who are, um...Canadian. Arguably you could put Flash in here too, but my expectations for him have been much lower since he looked out of place in the Olympics.

IMO the biggest upside surprises in the series have been Fehr, Carlson, and Poti, who are north americans. SO we have both good performances and downside surprises from the Euros as well as Canadians and US players.

Posted by: justbrewit | April 28, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

They have finally gone with the lines a lot of us have been screaming for! Flash is not built for playoff hockey and will not be resigned IMO....

Posted by: PhilR | April 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@justbrewit

you including Theo as one of your biggest dissapointments is just silly.

Posted by: doughless | April 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

From Corey's Tweets.. Here is his guess at tonights lineup.

Ovi-Backstrom-Knuble

Chermia-Belanger-Fehr
Walker-Gordon-Bradley

Shultz-Green
Morrinson-Corvo
Alzner-Carlson
----------------

how predictably unimpressive. nice goin bruce. where's Flasher? he's just due for a breakout game.

And who the heck is Chermia Liach and Morrinson? And looks like Morrinson is playing center and defense. A little double-shifting? Awesome!

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 28, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness the negativity known as cstanton came back on the blog this morning. We were all missing it.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

who are you? you post here?

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 28, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I just dont like Belanger w/ Semin, they dont seem to groove together.

Posted by: guer_j | April 28, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

esp when they're both playing crappy. Luckily, Semin's had 2 decent games in a row and Belanger's teeth getting knocked out somehow lit a fire under him in the last game. So they may actually gel for tonight's game.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 28, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Used to all the time but the ridiculousness has made me go to other more sane places.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

i think Belanger has played as good or better than some of the team mainstays.

Posted by: doughless | April 28, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 28, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

so why'd you come back?

instead of wasting time posting about other posters, post about hockey.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 28, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

i think Belanger has played as good or better than some of the team mainstays.

Posted by: doughless | April 28, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

i've heard others say that, i think he played well in the last game. I thought he'd be weakened and ineffective but he was competing very hard. Looked like he was playing angry.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 28, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Pretty simple for Caps to win tonight:

1) Score the 1st goal in the 1st period to build confidence

2) Score a PP goal as we're getting 5-6 chances per night

3) Apply CONSISTENT and physical forechacking in the Habs end.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 28, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Take all the stats...
Take all the talking points...
Take all the blowhard analysis...
Chuck them into the bonfire.

This is it.
This is the game.
This is the PRIDE.

It was never going to be easy.
Tonight we separate the men from the boys.

This is Ovie's team.
This is Ovie time.

It's Ovie time to step up.

Forget about the Olympics.
Forget about the suspensions.
Forget about the past 6 games.

Ovie- Come out of the gate like the GREAT, gritty, tough, warrior LION you are

HE has to set the tone.
HE has to take control of the game.
HE has to start running over people.
HE has to put the fear of god into those smallish Habs forwards and big slow defencemen.

HE has to show that the "C" on his sweater means something.

HE has to hit.
HE has to mow down people
HE has to crash the net
HE has to LEAD and FIRE UP his mates.
Ovie...has to be OVIE

Ovie-It's YOUR night tonight!
Ovie-It's YOUR time to step up!
Ovie-It's YOUR Barn
Ovie-Show YOU are THE dominant force in the game.

Ovie-I know you're more than some flashy regular season stat forward.

Ovie-It's your game for the taking.
Ovie-If you REALLY want it, NO ONE can take it from you.

How bad do you want it?
Seize the moment!

Carpe Diem

Posted by: htgolf | April 28, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

oh-lay,oh-lay,oh-lay......oh-lay. Just another game eh?

Posted by: jerryc57 | April 28, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Put Ovie and Semen on the Gordon line , to get the mis-match.

Posted by: jerryc57 | April 28, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Wonder who will start at goal tonite ? Varla or Jose. Boy , a couple of bad shifts and Jose has been ridin' pine ever since. Guess Bruce thought all that talk about Theodore bein' the second coming of St. Patrick was bull too.

Posted by: jerryc57 | April 28, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Gotta go......my favorite show is going to be starting soon......it's called "kick the crap out of the Caps". GO HABS!!!!!!!

Posted by: jerryc57 | April 28, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse