George McPhee on Washington Post Live

In case you missed it, here's a video of GMGM's appearance on Washington Post Live yesterday. McPhee talked about the high volume of call-ups from Hershey, locking down that No. 2 seed in the playoffs and more, including a bit of Frozen Four chatter:

(Click here if you can't see the video player.)

And in other Caps brass news, Owner Ted Leonsis's documentary, "Nanking," won a Peabody Award today.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 1, 2009; 1:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Odds and Ends: Boudreau Zeroing In
Next: Caps Sign Draft Pick Della Rovere

Comments

Is the "easy" remaining schedule a hinderence to preparing for the playoffs?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

lyle: I think it can be but doesn't have to be. If I had my way, my object for the next six games would be to utterly steamroller the opponent, as in, free wings for all earned at each of the next three games.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I love the smell of wings in the morning -- smells like victory!

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I remember the not-too-distant past when the Caps were the bottom dwellers and managed to wreck havoc on teams who were vying for playoff seeding. So I'm always wary of playing teams like the Isles at this time of the year...that said, LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@devilscapsgal

how can you be a devils-caps gal?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon:

For years it was easy - the Caps were no competition for the Devils. Devs were always in the playoff race, Caps not. But now it's become a very tenuous balancing act - I'm a Caps long time STH but have many friends among the Devils players and managment, hence my support of NJ.

As I posted a few days ago, this year I'm really hoping the Caps go deep in the playoffs (I won't say more for fear of a jinx). But if they don't I will hopefully have another team to support - although the way the Devils have been playing lately I'm not so sure of that. If/when the two teams meet in a playoff round, I'll probably hide under a rock for the series!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

AND - at least both teams and fanbases HATE the Penguins and Flyers!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 1, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

is that a SMILE on GMGM's face?! MY god, what's next, actual expressions of emotion?

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough...I was curious, and good that you hate the Pens-Flyers too.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

This run up to the playoffs is getting VERY interesting, in both conferences.

The Western Conference's 8th seed changed last night, from St. Louis to Nashville, and they're still only separated by one point. Anaheim and Nashville are tied in points, but Anaheim has one more actual win than Nashville, so they're ahead in the standings.

Back home, Florida is one point behind Montreal, but Montreal has played one less game.

Tonight's matchups prove interesting, too.

Apart from ours (NYI at WSH), we have...

Buffalo (82) at Atlanta (70) - Neither team can change their standings rank with a win, and Atlanta is well out of the playoffs.

Philadelphia (92, 4th seed) at Toronto (75) - Philadelphia cannot move any higher in the standings due to the higher three seeds being division leaders. Toronto could overtake Ottawa, but it won't matter. With six games remaining in their season, their maximum number of points is 87, which puts them out of the playoffs, since Montreal has 88.

New Jersey (98, 3rd seed) at Pittsburgh (90, 6th seed) - Ooh, now this one is interesting. New Jersey could overtake us if we don't win, and Pittsburgh could overtake the Hurricanes, giving us the first round Pittsburgh-Philadelphia matchup we all crave... All things considered, I'll be *choke* cheering for Pittsburgh tonight... Yuck.

St. Louis (83 points) at Chicago (91 points, 5th seed) - The battle for 8th seed in the Western Conference continues. With a win, St. Louis would take it back from Nashville. Chicago, meanwhile, could overtake Calgary for 4th seed if they win. This one's going to be well worth watching...!

Phoenix (71 points) at Colorado (64 points) - Ouch. The two bottom teams in the Western Conference, neither can make the playoffs. A win for Phoenix would put them tied in points with Los Angeles. Nothing is going to help the Avalanche, though.

@kittypawz - You said you knew of a URL that gives all the math for the playoffs, magic numbers, etc.? I could use that... beats reinventing the wheel!

Posted by: irockthered | April 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve_R

From last thread....please check your email regarding ticket for tonight.

Thanks :)

Go Caps

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Got your email back Steve_R...thanks!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 1, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal

I feel your pain. Since I was a kid in NJ I rooted for the Rags. The Devs weren't around yet. Until I landed here in DC, I rooted for them, and I still kinda do. I hate seeing the Caps and NYR play. Can't stand for either of them to lose.

At least this year the Rags are in...so far. But give 'em a chance. They'll screw it up somehow.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Greg S

Nice to know there are others who has the same conflict I have at times.I use to root for the Rags since I lived NYC, but when I moved to MD, I started rooting for the Caps. I definitely rooted for the Rags on Monday though.

Posted by: bajgirl | April 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - Oh, show a little confidence in your Rags, already! :-p

The Eastern Conference playoffs race is so close, it isn't even funny!

Flyers - 92 (max. 106)
Hurricanes - 91 (max. 101)
Penguins - 90 (max. 102)
Rangers - 89 (max. 99)
Canadiens - 88 (max. 100)
---------------------------
Panthers - 87 (max. 97)

Granted, the Flyers are in the best position on that list, and the Rangers and Panthers are in the most trouble, but it's still anybody's playoffs for the last five seeds. :)

WOW, I love hockey! So exciting this time of year! :)

Posted by: irockthered | April 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Wanna see the Caps having as much success crowding the front of the net as they did Friday night, some garbage goals and secondary scoring....

I had been worried about the soft end of season sechdule, but I'm thinking more and more Bruce uses the time well to clinic on new plays and positioning like we saw against Tampa, and a few others we haven't seen yet.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

IRTR

We're talking about the RAGS! We got history. We know how to screw it up.

Look, the rags are one freakin' point ahead of MON. On the positive side, one lousy point behind the pens. If the Rags can get ahead of them, then the Caps play the Pens. I'd love to crush them in the 1st round. Though the way the Devs played the other night...we may end up playing them.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

irockthered: http://zorak.best.vwh.net/nhl/ is a good one, and it gets updated very frequently... oftentimes just as the games finish. A little tough to read at first, but the owner has a good FAQ that should explain everything. It's strictly a magic number chart; nothing else. It will tell you who is in the playoffs, who is on the bubble, and who is out. Magic numbers for each team versus each team, etc. No probabilities or anything like that, just the straight facts.

If you're looking for probabilities and percentages, I also like playoffstatus.com and sportsclubstats.com... but they are "only" updated once per day at most.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, I sound like Bruce... What if ____?

Posted by: Greg S. | April 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Rush Thaler is the best sports guy in town, unfortunately, I heard he is leaving. Does anyone know if that rumor is true?

Posted by: tELb | April 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered: Here's the one I've got:

Posted by: kittypawz | April 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Judging from the GM's record, he's an utter failure.

When the team actually wins in the post season, then I'll change my mind.

Aside from Carolina, Caps will be out in round 1. Bank on it.

Posted by: LarryDavid | April 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnb5 | April 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@Larry

Stanley Cup Finals do not count?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@devilscap girl

WHAT????? ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Caps made the playoffs every year from 83 to 97, 15 straight seasons. And the Dev's and Pens were always the odd teams out....look it up. When the Dev's were winning Cups with half empty arena's the Caps were right there fighting in the playoffs.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@tELb

Best sports guy in WHAT town? Who is Rush Thaler?, I have lived in DC 40+ years never heard of him. Besides, T. EL-B is the best sports guys in town!!!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 1, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

tELb: On Frozen Blog is reporting Thaler's departure

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Not from CSN, just from 'Washington Post Live'.

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | April 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@larrydavid

So based on your statement utter failures consist of winning in post season. BS, that is a comment of a TOOL. At least GM is in good company, only one winner a year in post-season, and 29 utter failures. Nice DB

Posted by: bhound69 | April 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

There were a couple of quotes that stood out to me. Regarding the rebuild, I thought this was interesting:

"They built a new rink and we all know what that does; it helps you recruit" - Kettler

This one made me think of everyone thats asking for a matchup vs the Pens in the 1st round.

"You have to be careful what you wish for."

It also made me think of those of us who prefer NY or Montreal or Florida. In the end, though, it would seem that he and I agree. You play for 2nd and get ready for the dust to settle.

Posted by: oo7 | April 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

CapsDevgirl

Caps all time record vs Devils- 72-55-8-8, Caps have owned the Devils.

Posted by: daddy_axe | April 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim
Thanks for posting the link about Thaler. I am happy to know that he is not leaving town.

@bhound69