George McPhee on Caps' youth movement

Washington Capitals General Manager George McPhee appeared on The John Thompson Show this afternoon and discussed a wide variety of topics. Some highlights:

On the franchise's philosophy about reloading through the minor league system:

"Anything that we really need to add to the team I thought we already had in our system, which is nice. We've drafted so well. The really neat thing is we've drafted so well that we've got 11 of our first-round picks in our lineup starting Friday night. The league average is four. The closest team to us has seven, but they haven't drafted as well as we have, and so when we lose a player, we've been able to bring a guy up from Hershey in the system to fill the hole. We've added a few things from outside, but most of it comes from internally, which is pretty darn nice because you know the player, and I think we develop them well. We've lost four or five guys, but mostly we've replaced them from within."

On balancing experience with youth:

"I think we all like experienced teams. I'm sure you liked it at Georgetown when you had a bunch of seniors. They've been through it, knew what to expect. I like experienced teams, but the interesting thing is that we've drafted so well and these kids are ready that I really have no choice but to put them in there, especially in the salary cap world. It helps when you've got young guys go in there and play. . . . The interesting thing in our sport, it was usually the older teams that were winning, but the last two winners were two of the youngest teams in the league in Chicago and Pittsburgh, so I hope the next young team to win is ours."

On whether he still expects great things from Mike Green and Alexander Semin:

"We are. The NHL playoffs is pretty tough hockey and a pretty tough grind, and a guy like Green and a guy like Semin become targets. Like in any sport, you go after the best players and make them pay a price. Some guys can play through it. Some guys can rise above it. Some guys wilt a little bit. I'm not going to say these guys have wilted."

By Gene Wang  | October 6, 2010; 3:06 PM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin, George McPhee, Mike Green
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A little birthday surprise for Marcus Johansson
Next: As season opens, Caps keep a long-term focus

Comments

We all already know what is going to be posted on this thread. Cue all the GMGM hater talk.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

GMGM has been great...he is building a team for a great run for many years...Daniel Snyder should look across town and take notes

Posted by: Iceman27 | October 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

sgm3...you beat me to it. I think I will stay away for awhile. This could get ugly.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | October 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

After discussing his many drafts successes, like Alex Ovechkin, he stated that his own farts smell great as well.

Posted by: underpants2 | October 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Souray loaned to Hershey

Posted by: cocorules | October 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hello Geno!!
well - more quotes from gmgm. i'm looking forward to reading all about his draft history again.

i think in another two or three years all teams will be playing very young guys. each team will try and keep their 'core' and have to fill in the remaining spots with min salary players - which means draftees that aren't quite ready yet, fringe nhl players and ahl 'lifers'

now we can turn it over to those that believe gmgm is a joke

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 6, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

This is a recent tweet from Bob McKenzie, a very good hockey insider.

"WAS has shown no interest to EDM on Souray. I would not perceive this as a trial run for Souray to end up in D.C. Not at all, IMO."

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 3:22 PM

Yes...but what do you think this means?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 6, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

This is a very important point in the TSN article about the SS assignment:

"Having assigned Souray to the AHL, the Oilers cannot trade or play Souray until he passes through re-entry waivers."

In addition, it later stated:

"According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Oilers and Capitals have not discussed one word about Souray becoming a Capital. They just supplied a soft landing place for Souray because Hershey is one of the bigger teams in AHL. McKenzie also states that Souray's arrival has more to do with Hershey's master plan than Washingtons."

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

In order for Edmonton to even trade him now that he has been loaned, I believe he has to go on re-entry waivers. So the likelihood of him being traded is not good as someone would scoop him at $2.7M. I dont really see why Hershey needs him unless it is a test run. They didn't want Nylander there because he took playing time away from our prospects, why put another aging player there unless you want to see how he acts in the locker room? Just connect the dots is all I say.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think it's quite obvious that the Caps are going to look at Souray through this move.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 6, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I just read that BobMcKenzie quote. Who knows.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 6, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Screw Bob McKenzie...why would we let him take a roster spot if we didnt want to take a look at him? Might as well let someone who has a shot at the big club get the ice time.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 6, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I believe Tor would get first crack at him on re-entry waivers, so maybe GMGM is working a possible trade with Leafs. Souray for Flash?

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 6, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Souray playing for the Bears...

I'd be shocked if GMGM and Doug Yingst would allow this to happen unless they were absolutely certain that Souray would not be a negative in any way.

Also, this fuels the Souray trade rumors even more, specifically to Washington and it's 'porous and soft' (I'm making a generalizing quote that the negative posters make here) defense, because it'll be easy to scout him and get the down-low feed-back from the Bear's coaches.

Cue the masses screaming "Great move GMGM and Yingst!" and the "dumb move GMGM and Yingst, you are corukpting our prospects"

carry on!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 6, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

He has to pass through re-entry waivers first. So many other teams will have a shot at him before the Caps.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

crud! meant "I'd be shocked if GMGM and Doug Yingst would allow this to happen unless they weren't absolutely certain that Souray would not be a negative in any way."

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 6, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Does the cap/salary hit remain the same if he gets traded after claimed off re-entry waivers?

In other words (and to make this as easy as possible), if the Leafs claimed Souray off re-entry waivers, and then proceeded to trade him for Flash, would the Caps still only be on the hook for half his salary and half his cap hit? Do the cap/salary hit remain constant no matter what after being claimed off re-entry waivers?
^^^^
This is my main question- not really concerned who is involved.

Posted by: Fro_2 | October 6, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

i think steckel will go before flash. I agree with all. This gives them a chance to look at Souray. GMGM likes these types of players. skating/shooting. does anyone know the rules on reentry if a team picks up a player such as TO and then can turn around and trade him.

Posted by: samb99 | October 6, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@Frank

I agree they wouldn't. I think this is the last bit of fact checking on Sheldon before a move is made in an effort to make him a Cap. Assuming he plays well. Because there are enough Dmen down there already so he will be taking ice time away.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Fro

if claimed on re-entry waivers. Edmonton has $2.7M cap hit for 2 years. ANd whatever team he skates for has the $2.7M cap hit. He could be traded 3 times, his cap hit for whatever team is now $2.7M

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Fro- I'm pretty sure his salary would remain 1/2 even if he's traded by the team the claims him off waivers and Edm will still be on the hook for the other half regardless.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 6, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Gracias amigos.

That's what I thought, but you never know with CBA.

Posted by: Fro_2 | October 6, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Pat- Better said than I. also meant to be 'the team THAT claims him'

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 6, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

In addition, there may be restrictions on when a team that claims a player on re-entry waivers is allowed to trade said player to another team.

I'm not sure, but my guess is that some restriction exists. (maybe it's one month, maybe more, maybe less).

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@sa-town

Posted by: SA-Town | October 6, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree, that roster spot should be for someone with AHL Talent who could possibly still improve..I'm thinking Jeff Schultz or Boyd Gordon would be excellent candidates.

Posted by: opus1m | October 6, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

you are right on that. I think it actually might be the remainder of the current season. But I am not positive either.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73:

With all due respect, what is "corukpting"? I can't even pronounce it.

FWIW, I think the Souray loan is interesting...nothing more.

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 6, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard this about Neuvirth before? It was news to me. Katie, can you comment?

...Last year in the playoffs, I was shooting the breeze with a couple of the Washington writers, they were talking about how detested the kid is in the Caps locker room (a few of the players later corroborated this).

Posted by: dave20852 | October 6, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Looking more and more at Hershey's roster. We don't really have many young prospects their playing D. So this could strictly be a move just to help Hershey. Pat McNeil, Miskovic and Finley are the only 3 that kind of matter.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Devils place Salvador and Salmela on long term injury.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Now that he's officially in the AHL, Souray has to clear re-entry waivers if he's recalled (even if it's for a trade), making him available to anyone in the NHL for half of his $5.4 million salary (Edmonton would be on the hook for the other half).

"That's an option," said Tambellini. "I would have to wait until somebody contacts me and expresses interest. Right now I don't have that."

Being on the hook for half his salary for two years is a big price to pay, but the organization clearly believes it's the lesser of two evils.

Posted by: samb99 | October 6, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Souray a Bear? Unbelievable!

I don't think he'll end up a Cap unless he voids his contract by not reporting to Hershey. I can't see the Caps taking on that contract and I don't believe the Oilers will put him on re-entry waivers. If so, they would have done it already.

Could the Nylandering of vets be the owners way of forcing salary cap reduction in the next CBA?

Also, I getting tired of it being suggested that having Green, Semin, (and Flash) on the roster is the sole reason this team lost to the Habs. It's lazy and doesn't present the whole story. For instance, Green and Semin combined for the same number of points as Ovi and Backstrom in the last 3 games, 2. Yet no one would dare say they wilted under the pressure or are not playoff performers. The Caps lost as a team. If Green, Semin, and Flash were the only plays to foldunder pressure, this team would have beaten the Habs.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 6, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

they would have done it but no one was interested in him on re-entry yet. Everyone wants to see if he can play after he was injured. If someone sees he can, Tambellini will definitely put him on re-entry waivers for that GM. He'd rather have a $2.7M hit than the $5.4 hit.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

There is NO chance the Caps win a Cup this season with two rookie defensemen and what are effectively two rookie goaltenders. None. Nada. McPhee must surely know that, notwithstanding all his happy talk. This season all depends upon what McPhee can swing at the trade deadline.

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 6, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

On Souray: Souray is a bit of a risk, but he's a better defenseman than our 6/7 guys: Erskine and Sloan.

As between those two and Souray, I would take Souray, especially now that King and Hendricks are around. Lots of reasons not to do this too, obviously, but Erskine's role as the stand-in heavyweight is gone unless King gets injured again.

But, either Neuvy develops extremely quickly this year or we need to go trade for a goalie at some point.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 6, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

and what I meant was theyd rather only pay him 2.7M and have that cap hit then pay him 5.4 and have no cap hit. They just want him gone.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Capitals have placed goalie Semyon Varlamov on the injured reserve list, although he can be recalled at any time and is expected to travel with the team for their season opener at Atlanta on Friday.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 6, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@ ThePat

I'm not so sure about that. They could have let him come to camp and play in the preseason to showcase, but they told him not to report (sounds familiar). After preseason, they could have assigned him to their AHL affiliate, then recalled him.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"Soft landing" because Hershey is a "big team?" Huh? Does this make any sense? Doesn't it seem strange after all the talk about not having older vets (e.g., Nyls) take playing time away from young guys in Hershey? Maybe this is an indication that the Bears are weak on the blue line after the loss of Alzner and Carlson. I think McKenzie is a reliable source, but still, I've got to believe that the Caps have some potential interest in Souray for this to happen.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how we can trade Neuvy over glass Varly. Varly will be lucky to start 30 games this year. That guy is way too accident prone to keep. May as well trade him while he's still worth something.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 6, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@ablake

I know its very similar to Nylander. However if Souray can still play, most teams dont know if he can, then he will go through re-entry waivers. Tambellini has said all along that his goal is to basically just be rid of him. If a team shows interest, and none might, I think he goes on re-entry. And it'll happen before mid November.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@dave20852 -I've never heard that either.

One question to keep in mind, if he's so detested in the locker room, why did they sign Neuvy to a contract extension?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Posted by: jwash4472 | October 6, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

In addition, the longer a team waits this year to claim SS on reentry waivers the less they have to pay him. The Caps could be interested, but may be more interested if they only have to pay him half of his salary(or 1/4 with the reentry split)for this year. So maybe a reentry waiver claim in January could happen. It would be dependent on him playing well also.

The biggest deterrent on SS is that his contract is for next year as well. $2.7M is still a good chunk of change.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The risk for Souray at 2.7mil for each of the next 2 seasons is worth it IMHO... if the Caps or some other team tries to trade for him, he won't make it past re-entry waivers!

-a two time 20 goal-scoring Defenseman, 6'3" 233lbs, PP Specialist, 1.5 PIM's per game, tough, battle tested... regardless of injuries or age (34) or perceived (even if true) bad attitude, some GM would pick him up.

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 6, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone got any inside info/wild guesses as to why Neuvirth might not be liked?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 6, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"Detested"?
Neuvy?
WTF?

I don't get it. I met him post-practice before the Caps-Flyers rookie game last month. Decent kid, doesn't seem to be the least bit full of himself (like one might expect of a guy in his early 20's making serious money).

Why would anyone else in the room possibly hate on the guy? I can't see anything there to hate.

My analysis of this comment is that it's like one of those stupid "Inside Hollywood or TMZ cesspools where they get all this commentary from writers, reporters, wannabe hangers-on, etc.--not a G******d one of whom has any direct knowledge to substantiate their bizarro statements about the celebrity in question--none whatsoever!

It boggles my mind that people actually get paid to churn out that kind of crap.

So, I'd be willing to bet real money that the "reporter" who wrote that about Neuvy is just trying to stir up controversy where none really exists.

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 6, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

The only way we get Souray is if we can unload Chimera. And only on re-entry.

The Poti signing was AWFUL. We were free and clear after this year. The Poti extension really keeps us from making this move.

Why did McPhee extend Tom Poti before the season ever started? Great motivational tool. "Don't worry about how well you play this year. Here's an extension. Good news too, we are gonna overpay you, we couldn't move the contract if we tried."

We gave this to a 10+ year guy who has never been beyond round 2 of the playoffs. Why are people not livid about this?

I am ranting, I know. Excited about the season, but with the playoffs, and the Poti extension, I need a reason to believe.

My Summer of Discontent must end.

Posted by: underpants2 | October 6, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard anything about Neuvy being unliked by any teammates. Doesn't mean it's not true but I'm inclined to agree with Rhino40.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 6, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Why are people not livid about this?

Posted by: underpants2 | October 6, 2010 5:32 PM

honestly i'm not upset because i have no control or say as to how ted and gmgm run their team. nor do i have the knowledge to perform their duties better than them.
i'm a caps fan and will hope for the best - as even i, a rose colored glasses wearer, know that this team can use some on-ice personnel upgrades (2c and a 1, 2 or even #3d) - as well as employing a slight shift in their style of play (finish quite a few more checks, crash a couple more nets and everybody sticks up for everybody else - all the time).

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 6, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Poti was the Caps best defenseman in the playoffs this past year(with Carlson #2).

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

Poti's one of a vanishing breed: a valuable, mid priced player. It looks as though the league is heading for top-shelf players at over 5 mil and a bunch of bottom shelf or developing players at under 1 million. The Caps, by stockpiling serviceable youngsters (we still have Kuznetsov, Galiev, Eakin in the pipeline), can play the entry-level-deal game for a while. They've always liked Poti and they must feel that is what he'd get elsewhere.

Definitely hope they don't bite on Souray - how good could he be if played for Edmonton last year?

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 6, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

interesting that no one's commented on the "wilting" thing GMGM said in reference to Green and Semin.

IMHO, Semin did not "wilt" against Mtl - it seems he did the opposite, he tried too hard, tried to do too much himself. He definitely kept working and creating but he did seem at times to be squeezing the stick. Although he was ALMOST effective (involved in the last goal the Caps scored, feeding Chimera for a sitter to tie after - which opportunity we all know was whiffed on) the superstars make it happen. Maybe this year he's ready to prove he belongs in that category. I hope he has the superstar year - regular season AND playoffs - and if the cost is losing him, so be it. We'll be successful and we've got people in the wings.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 6, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

As I recall, Neuvy was asked last year whether he would be comfortable backing up Varlamov this year, and he said that he absolutely would. That doesn't sound like a big ego guy. If he were acting like a jerk, would guys on the team like Ovi, Knuble, and Laich, tolerate it? I doubt it. I can see him being a quiet guy, but it's hard to imagine anyone in his position on a team like the Caps doing anything to create strong animosity on the part of his teammates.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Yogi, as far as Edmonton's performance last year being Souray's fault - first of all Souray played less than half a year last year due to injuries. Second, it's a mistake to assume that every player on a bad team is bad and every player on a good team is great. I think you would agree that it is a lot more complicated than that.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dave20852 | October 6, 2010 4:18 PM

The players referred to are BMo, Belanger, Walker, Juice, Corvo,. They all have one thing in common....Theo refused to comment about Neuvi...:)

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | October 6, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------
That's exactly what it is. In Nyls case we were loaded with forwards and didn't want him taking away ice time from them. In this case we don't have a lot of D ready to come up so Souray isn't hurting growth by taking up ice time.

I can also say with some degree of certainty that we are not interested in SS due to his contract. Now if he is placed on reentry waivers 2.7M for 2yrs is something we could absorb. At that point I think we become interested. Like I said earlier, our big target over the offseason was Bieska. That trade hasn't happened yet obviously but we were never interested in that contract.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

@dave20852 -I've never heard that either.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Posted by: jwash4472 | October 6, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
@Dave, Jwash, Rhino etc
Um guys I'm all over this. I'll let you know what I find out in a bit. I agree that signing a potential "cancer" in the locker room is a cause for concern. I doubt this is true but I'll find out for sure. Right here & now I'm calling shananigans but I'll let you know.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Caps' youth movement? what is this, 2005 all over again??

It's one thing for a team like the Pats to trade Randy Moss for a third round pick, they have earn the trust of their fans.

Whenever a team like the Caps who have won NOTHING startS saying stuff like "youth movement", it's just another spin for "we're not really interested in doing everything to win the Cup right NOW."

Posted by: joek443 | October 6, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

they should be loading up on veterans, not a bunch of rookies.

Posted by: joek443 | October 6, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Right Joke. This place was much better when you and your negative life weren't here.

We have no interest in winning the Cup anytime soon so why are you here? Why don't you go back to Pensblog where you're loved?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

11 First round picks is amazing. 1 player drafted after the 1st round is bizarre.

Posted by: Oldscool12 | October 6, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing the crap these talking heads put on the air and get paid to do it. Kinda makes you wonder why they do it for nothing on this blog.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | October 6, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh I'm sorry. Let me try this.

@Joek
Welcome back buddy haven't seen you in a bit. I don't understand why you feel that way? Why do you feel that we don't want to win a Cup?

Source?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

you got that right, Oldscool12... for sure GMGM ain't no Bill Belichick!!!

Posted by: joek443 | October 6, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

hey pokerfaceI208, any truth to the rumour that your source is GMGM's housekeeper??

Posted by: joek443 | October 6, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Having Souray in Hershey allows the Caps to see how he plays in the Caps system, get to know him a bit, and allows him to learn the Caps system. I imagine there would be zero interest in him at $5.4M, but $2.7M is Poti money and much more reasonable.

I think he would be an upgrade over Erskine/Sloan and his cap hit (at $2.7M) could be absorbed, although it would limit trade deadline acquisitions. The big question would be whether the Caps think that they could do better than SS at the trade deadline. They didn't last year, IMO.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oldscool12 | October 6, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Actually it's not. The draft is a crap shoot with the exception of the 1st 10 picks or so. The Caps actually had 3 of their 9 2nd round picks since 2004 play in the NHL of which 2 still are (Neuvy & Seabrook). The most any other team has had a 2nd round pick play in the NHL is 2 while most have 1.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | October 6, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Wow did you come up with that all by yourself?

Now, why is it you feel that Ted & GMGM don't want to win a Cup this year?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

GMGM would probably argue that there is less opportunity for late round picks to make the team since so many of the first round picks have panned out. So, available the slots are filled by the first round guys. The response to that might be that some of the late round guys should have caught on with other teams, if the Caps were successful in evaluating late round talent. But I agree with Pokerface, the later you go in the draft, the more you are hoping to catch lighting in a bottle.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

@Dave, Jwash, Rhino etc

Ok guys as suspected there's nothing to that clown's story on Neuvy. I was told that "detested" is way out of line borderline irresponsible. Neuvy is cut from a different cloth but no more so than any other goalie so to say.

So thanks for bringing that up but it's not true. I have always been interested in "locker room stuff" because I think it says a lot about a team. From everything I've seen, heard you name it these guys all get along very well and are well liked.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

In regards to the Neuvy situation:

Neuvy just rubbed Tarik the wrong way supposedly. Tarik told the reporter from the Globe and Mail that and that reporter went and exaggerated the story from there to include players on the team. Like people have said if he was not liked in the locker room the team would not have signed him to an extension.

Not all reporters get along with all players and this is apparently the case in this situation. And the other writer that was told about this is blowing it way out of proportion. At least thats basically what was said on Caps Report this afternoon.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Poker-Thanks for confirming what many of us suspected about Neuvy. I for one, find your info to be credible, even if you're getting from GMGM's housekeeper.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 6, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

First atybat, now pokerface. We're overrun with connections to GMGM's housekeeper on here, it seems.

Neuvy for Calder? Sure, I can see that happening if he stays healthy.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 6, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Wait, how is the former beat writer involved? This is just getting conspiracy-er and conspiracy-er . . .

ThePat: is the Tarik portion from Caps Report or is that from you?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 6, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

yeah, he's as credible as Bob Woodward... the only difference is Woodward doesn't pay his sources and he pays the housekeeper for the info.

Posted by: joek443 | October 6, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

go listen to caps report, its at like the 35 minute mark maybe.

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you credit for finally making a comment on this hockey blog that didn't reference someone from the NFL, NBA, or NASCAR.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | October 6, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

It's nice that Tarik is giving inside information about the team to out-of-town reporters. He certainly never gave us those kinds of insights here on CI.

Posted by: zmega | October 6, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

just skip ahead to the 32 minute mark basically and they discuss it

Posted by: ThePat | October 6, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Morrisonn-Myers
Leopold-Montador
Weber-Rivet

--------

now that's a nice lookin D on paper. 5 guys who can play in their own end and with some sandpaper no less. The only semi-weak link is Montador. He really should go back to playing forward.
Very different look on D for Buffalo from yrs past. And their drafts have changed as well as they're focusing on getting bigger upfront with Kassian and Foligno.

this is a circular approach to mcphee bashing.

"Some guys wilt a little bit. I'm not going to say these guys have wilted."

one of those 2 already started off wilted. Lets hope this year he stiffens up a bit.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

i think Souray's bad attitude was dreamed up on this blog. The Caps prospects would be privileged to finally have a tough veteran dman who has been thru many wars to lean on and learn from. Souray isn't that far off from what Jason Smith added to his teammates.

i mean, he's no Poti...few players are.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

ThePat -

Funny how Stretch sorta let Tarik's name slip out. Oh well.

Strange that the Globe'n'Mail would allow their writer/columnist/blogger to put something out there like that if it's no more than normal work-related friction - with a supposed genesis outside of the team, nonetheless.

But then again, maybe there is more to it than a couple Caps employees are willing/able to admit on a podcast . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 6, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Souray? What's up with T-Pain bashing Neuvy?

I'm getting a bad feeling.

Katie C. - make me feel ok again.......where's your blog post?

Posted by: CF11555 | October 6, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oldscool12

i've always maintained that McPhee should just trade all his draft picks after the 1st round. Maybe he can pick up an xtra first rounder here or there or grab a prospect or two. For the Isles to pick up James Wiz for a measly 3rd...no way is McPhee going to draft/develop a player better than JW with a 3rd rounder.

ok lets see who McPhee is counting as these 11 1st rounders

Fehr, Ovy, Backs, Green, Schultz, MaJo, Carlson, Alzner, semin, varly, gordo

If one had to evaluate his 1st rounders that he's referring to -- Carlson and Green stand out the most to me. Alzner was the safe pick but I would've liked a power forward or a tough capable defensive dman instead (i.e. lets see how McDonagh's career pans out v Alzner's).

Ovy was a nobrainer. Backstrom over Kessel, I suppose that was a tossup at the time and I do like that pick between the two of em. I don't think Fehr was anything more than a decent pick given the other players who went around him. If you go strictly by stats, Semin and Schultz were very good picks considering where they went and who went around em. But if I had a choice in 2002 of Semin plus BGordon or Stoll plus Matt Greene, you know which way I'd go. Varly seems like a good pick but I suck at evaluating goalies so..

The newer picks are too new to really evaluate yet. Did McPhee squeeze MaJo into the lineup just so he could further inflate his # of 1st rounders? Would MaJo have made the team if we'd signed Belanger?

11 first rounders sounds very impressive. But back when Eminger, Beech, and Sutherby were in our lineup I remember McPhee pointing out how many 1st rounders we had back in our lineup in 2006. That roster had 9 Caps 1st round picks total. And another 7 players who were 1st round picks from other teams who we acquired. And I'm not even counting Olie who was a 1st rounder pre-McPhee.

hey i like that for the new slogan. The Caps, always impressive on paper!

but seriously, 17 1st rounders on one roster tells me that there's a real dearth of role players. Because no one drafts quality role players in the 1st round. If they don't crack the lineup at the top, you can't easily just insert them at the bottom.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

No way Neuvy is hated that way that article says he is. I was at Ketler the whole day the day of the rookie game and while some of the rookies who were not playing in the game were working on the ice a bunch of the guys (including Backstrom and Johanson) were talking behind me about going over to one of their apartments. They went out of their way to ask Neuvy if he wanted to come with them since he was distracted watching the goalie who was in the net at the time. They even offered to squeeze him into one of their cars (not sure why he didn't have a car). In no way shape or form did them seem to not like Neuvy and since I was the only one close they were not putting on a show for the media or anything like that. I think what was said on the Caps Report on the link above.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 6, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

---pogues--

the rookie status doesn't bother me that much. IIRC, the Panthers went to the Cup finals with 2 rookies on D (warrener, jovocop). They outperformed all the veterans that year.

Carlson is better than most if not all our dmen right now. I would take 6 rookies in the lineup if they were all Carlson.

Poti, Sloan, Erskine, Schultz, Alzner. Those are the ?marks heading into a long playoff season.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

Poti is a nice guy, but he'll never carry the Cup over his head. Yes, the extension was awful. We can only be so critical before guys like sgm3 and kitty paws start to call us "party poopers". Poti will contribute heavily to the exit of GMGM. Poti will fold in the playoffs as usual.
He never does well under a heavy forecheck, which is what the playoffs are all about.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | October 6, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hunterforcoach

i think that's the bio on most of our dmen.
One of the worst things that happened to us was playing a team that didn't forecheck us heavily. Because we lost to the Habs instead of to another team, the wrong lessons were learned.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

"Did McPhee squeeze MaJo into the lineup just so he could further inflate his # of 1st rounders?"

Of course!

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | October 6, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

uh oh, you broke your own rule about responding to my posts. Now you must suffer.

hey sgm, how many 1st rounders does it take on a roster to win a cUp?

put some gas in your stat machine and crank her up! inquiring minds want to know

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

anyone paired with Carlson looks good.

Caps offseason upgrade plan:

1) Pick up goon, all the cool teams are doing it

2) Extend Poti. Lock him up now before he commands a huuuge salary on the free market.

Brilliant!

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Poti will contribute heavily to the exit of GMGM.
--------

if that's the case I'll go buy myself a Poti jersey. Anyone know if they even make one?

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

i think Souray's bad attitude was dreamed up on this blog.

____________

Erhm, definitely not.

I'd take him on re-entry..otherwise his contract is too long.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 6, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

Once, long ago, you wanted a number 3 jersey. Remember? Now Poti has it for at least 3 more years. Thank God. We locked him up.

Posted by: underpants2 | October 6, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

trolls come out at night

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 6, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

RE: Neuvirth

very hard to credit his being detested by his teammates - Neuvy would have been too green to even register with this group unless people are just rubbed the wrong way by his twin sister Bjork.

@cstanton01 - > I have to admit I was a tad disappointed with that pick when they made it - he had great-junior-player-mediocre-national-leaguer written all over him. There have been too many such players to mention.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 6, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

So the 2006 roster had a total of 17 NHL 1st rounders on it who played at some point. That's right. 17 NHL first rounders. Impressive on paper...CStanton
-------------------------------------------
WTF? The 2006 roster? I think your research is a lil flawed!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

1. I saw Neuvirth joking around with Alzner and A. Gordon at Caps Convention. They didn't appear to "detest" him.
2. The Souray thing doesn't make a lot of sense...
3. In the interview above, GMGM sure managed to pat himself on the back for a lot of stuff. Yes the youth movement is great, but what do "the kids" do at crunch time in April and May? That is the time the gritty veterans can push a team over the top. I hope GMGM will be able to congratulate himself then.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | October 6, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

It's not out of the realm of possibility that some guys on the team don't like each other. As long as they leave their personal differences at the door, who cares? If Neuvy backstops them to a Cup, they will love him. It is low class to throw TEB under the bus over this. Tarik blasts Neuvy because he didn't come out of the shower quick enough? Am I to believe Tarik is this petty?

Also, I a agree with joek. The youth movement should be Ovi, Backstrom, Green, Semin, Carlson, goalie. They need some veteran leadership to rally the troops. GMGM points to the Pens and Hawks to justify his position, but he has conveniently forgotten Gonchar, Scuderi, Gill, Guerin, Kunitz, Madden, Campbell, Hossa, etc. These teams were intelligent enough to realize that even though the young star wears the C, leadership comes from the wise, old veteran.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 6, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Totally agree on the wise old men !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | October 6, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

WTF? The 2006 roster? I think your research is a lil flawed!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 |

you mean you didn't even bother to verify this without calling me out on it? ballzy

Sutherby

Novotny
Heward
Steckel
Fata
ShaMo
Zubrus

That's 17 1st rounders on one roster over the course of one year.

Wanna guess how many more were 2nd rounders?

on paper, such an impressive roster..

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

trolls come out at night

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1

and terrorists are freedom fighters. I guess its all depends on perspective doesn't it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

i think Souray's bad attitude was dreamed up on this blog.

____________

Erhm, definitely not.

I'd take him on re-entry..otherwise his contract is too long.

Posted by: richmondphil2

Souray's been in this league 10 or 12 yrs now? How long has this "bad attitude" rumor been floatin around for? I never heard it when he played on the Devils or the Habs. And until he ran into issues with the mgmt in Edm, never heard it while he was an Oiler either.

Any player in his position gets that rap. Pronger ticked off a few folks up north himself.

Unless someone can show me a link where details Souray's bad attitude history, I have no reason to think he wouldn't be a great teammate for any team.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

---------

there's so much more to chicago and Pittsburgh's successes besides their youth. The youth comparison is just a small part of the equation. It just proves you CAN win with youth, not that you WILL win with it. Unless you have a capable GM at the helm who knows what complementary pieces to add.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

the other 1st rounders on that team drafted by other teams

Klepis
Novotny
Heward
Steckel
Fata
ShaMo
Zubrus

That's 17 1st rounders on one roster over the course of one year.

Wanna guess how many more were 2nd rounders?

on paper, such an impressive roster..

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 6, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
While I'm a bit.... lets call it a buzz, I'm right but feel like I'm wrong. When I first looked at it I was like NO WAY 2006! Olie didn't play for us 4yrs ago! I mean really, it feels like it's been what.... a decade? So wow on that part.

However, there weren't 17. Novotny didn't play for us that year.

So I give you praise alth I was right. You know this is the 2nd time this week the Captain has failed me! He's never failed me before either so it's kinda strange. Kinda like when pigs fly! Or maybe.. the Caps won the Stanley Cup (this yr).

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

@stanton

I never said he was always known for having this baggage, it only occurred while with Edmonton. He said some things he shouldn't have said, demanded a trade a few times, apparently not good in the locker room or for their AHL team, etc, etc.

I'm not saying he can't be his old self without the baggage, but it's not like the bad attitude thing is new. It's been going on in Edmonton for 2 years.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 6, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Novotny's not on here.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 6, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

man you aaare druuuunk. You pasted the wrong year. I said 2006. You pasted the lineup for 2005. Remember, we traded zubrus for novotny at the deadline. And we got a 1st rounder out of it as well for 07 draft.

and one of the 2 1st rounders we had that yr gave us a shot at drafting a decent defensive prospect (nick petrecki) and we chose not to. Instead trading out of the 1st round and petrecki was selected by the Sharks.

anyway, the captain has buried you.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 7, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

@stanton

Posted by: richmondphil2 |

so if a guy with no real previous history of having an attitude suddenly displays one recently, does that mean he's going to be like that everywhere he goes? I think its obvious he needs a change of scenery and he wants out of Edm. Its not like he's 24 yrs old. His time is running out and he wants to go to a better team. I can't fault him for that. It would be different if he was a young kid who hadn't paid his dues yet. Souray's been a warrior for over a decade, i think he's earned at least some right to try and force a deal. And Edm can't afford his salary anyway so its mutual.

i think there's an overwhelming chance that he would not be a locker room problem on his next team. As long as its not columbus!

i just feel that the way some fans here paint him as a total malcontent, they're making him out to be like an Avery or Fleury. He's nowhere near that level.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 7, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

@stanton

Posted by: richmondphil2 |

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 7, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

hey poker, you know what IS funny.. that 2005 lineup you mistakenly posted has EIGHTEEN 1st rounders on it! lol, one more than they had in 2006. Thanks for helpin me make my point :)

There were 4 other 1st rounders not around in 2006

mathieu biron
witt
jonas johanssen
andrew cassels

so take your pick...we were stacked with 18 1st rounders in 2005, and 17 in 2006.

still impressed with mcphee's statement about how many 1st rounders we have?

granted, this yr's crop is slightly younger overall than in 05 and 06, but not by much.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 7, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I think even the cheerleaders would agree, that was one congratulatory-ass interview, up top. Yeesh.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 7, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Oops: 'self-congratulatory,' I meant to say, no knock on the interviewer intended, good work Gene, and Katie, this blog's great. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 7, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah - whoever said up top that Semin was trying too hard, I agree - he was squeezing the stick pretty tight in games 6-7. I do not fault Semin for lack of effort.

Green, on the other hand - so much talent in the body, but I have no idea what goes on above the shoulders sometimes - not the ideal attribute for your supposed #1 d-man, come to think of it. I really think MG would benefit from a different d-partner. Someone like I don't know, Anton Volchenkov maybe. Oh, yeah, I forgot.

Posted by: govtimbo | October 7, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

I though Jonas Johansson (gotten in the Kono deal) was a #2.

Anyway, I remember watching the year Petrecki was highly ranked as tough d-man and came to Caps turn. Was this draft at night? Seems like it. Anyway, two I remember is passing on Petrecki for God knows what now (what we got) and that yar also taking Alzner #5 and passing on Gagner and several other really good offensive prospects. I recall the guy I wanted was Vorachek or whatever. Haven't followed him to see what he's done.

I do really remember pointing out at home (like any of them cared) when McPhee traded the late first rounder that the Petrecki guy had the exact skills we were lacking ala a Brendan Witt kinda guy.

Nice to be back from Atl although the ping-pong jet lag effect is kicking in with the bottle of chardonnay I oipened for the shrimp/cheese dish she made. I'll have y'll know I won the Texas hold em Monday night but got beat as last one out Tuesday. Still came out ahead although we're talking bragging rights more than money.

cstanton: Do you have a Vorachek opinion? How bout had we taken Gagner instead of Alzner? Would we be better or worse?

Count me as surprised AGordo made it through waivers, but then again many here posted that he didn't look that hot.

And, why is GMGM even insinuating anything to do with wilting on Green and Semin? Some here think I'm a GM basher, I'm really not, I rate him in the 11-15th bracket for best GM, slightly above avg, but what's this wilting business?

I have said many times you can trade Semin if you get a Phaneuf. I have put that one out there for about 15-18 months. Otherwise you keep him. Any team can win a Cup with Semin (see Edm, Kurri as RW, go ahead and say Semin will never be Kurri ok maybe not in total numbers) if you have the right other pieces. Flash, OTOH, does nothing to enhance Cup chances.

What a team if you could move Flash and Erskine and get back say Umberger and even Souray (that would be Souray version 2.7).

BTW, I was first to predict Souray re-entry to get claimed by Tor and then traded so Burke gets assets out of the deal. Now I see many others here promoting that idea. And I haven't given up on Clutterbuck.

To copy from Peter King - my travel story of the week. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but on the 4:15 out of Atl on Delta direct to LAX you have the little TV screens that Delta has. Well, mine isn't on, but the guy in front of me has PHL-CIN so I put mine on and I see this Halladay cat has not only wicked stuff but ump has him a two-mile wide strike zone. I'm thinking no-hitter from end of third. No lie. See KO #4 on strike zone. Hate Philly, but was great to watch.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 7, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

anyway, the captain has buried you.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 7, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------
yup zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 7, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

On a more serious note, well kinda..... doesn't it seem like ages ago when Olie was here? Or is that the Captain too? That just seems like a long long time ago.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 7, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

"Do I feel "right" somehow because I said all summer that MP wasn't ready and they have now sent him down? Well, sgm, does this make me right?

I'll tell you what, sgm, I predict more lifetime NHL goals by AGordon than MP. That's where that one stands."

@tominscoal1

Do you feel right about picking AGordon for the 3rd line? I mentioned, more than a few times, that MP would likely get sent down because of his ability to go through Hershey without having to pass through waivers.

But I will gladly accept your offer as I feel MP will have more lifetime NHL goals than AGordon.

"BTW, I was first to predict Souray re-entry to get claimed by Tor and then traded so Burke gets assets out of the deal. Now I see many others here promoting that idea."

One problem with that, Toronto (or any team) may not be allowed to do that due to CBA language(not allowing a trade of a player claimed on reentry waivers for a certain period of time)

Posted by: sgm3 | October 7, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

sgm3,

Have you read the CBA to see what that "period of time" is? I know my questions to you are usually on the sarcastic side but this one is serious!

Posted by: PhilR | October 7, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

No I haven't and I am not sure that there is. But I think I remember hearing that there was some time period that a team couldn't trade a claimed player from reentry. ThePat also thought there was one. But neither of us were sure of this.

I quckly did a 2-minute google search but found nothing pertaining to a claimed reentry player being traded.

But it would make sense to have one to prevent teams from claiming players just to trade them(to make the purpose of waiver claims so teams only claim players if they truly want to keep them on their NHL roster). Maybe it's only a few weeks, maybe it's longer, or maybe there is nothing. But I would think there must be some period.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Found it, it is section 13.20(b)

"A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused."

Posted by: sgm3 | October 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Just so there is no confusion, this is in the definition area of the CBA:

"Waivers" means the process by which the rights to a Player are offered to all other Clubs pursuant to the procedure set forth in Article 13 of this Agreement and shall include Regular, Re-Entry and Unconditional Waivers.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 7, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@FrankM73:

With all due respect, what is "corukpting"? I can't even pronounce it.

FWIW, I think the Souray loan is interesting...nothing more.

Posted by: Rhino40
----
typo! ...meant "corrupting"!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 7, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

sgm...interesting. SS has gone thru waivers twice with no claims. Of course that was at full value. I doubt he would get thru re-entry without a claim.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | October 7, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

sgm: Interesting point on waivers, guess that ends that idea.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 7, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the research, guess so much for SS ending up with ANY team but the one who claims him on re-entry until next year.

Posted by: PhilR | October 7, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

PhilR/sgm: This might actually make it easier for Edmonton to move Souray. Let's say Souray does well for Hershey and McPhee decides he's worth the risk of the 2.7. So McPhee tells Oilers he would claim Souray on re-entry. What is Oilers risk? Nothing, since they are now told he will be claimed. Do they care if anyone else claims first? Not really. Do Caps care? Yes, but not end of the world. Would any other team claim? Possibly, but not likely since he can't be traded until the end of this season and likely not even then due to acquiring team would then get full cap hit.

So, Edm sends message around league to "let them know" when any team is ready to pay the 2.7 and they put him on re-entry at that point.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 7, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@ pokerface

Stanton is only able to school you on 1st rounders because we had a discussion on this some 10 years ago on the ESPN board.
The board told me then I was wrong, but had to do an "about face" when I posted the names, numbers, and percentages of those who made the NHL as 1st rounders vs. those who made the NHL after being drafted in the 2nd round or lower.

When you actually run the numbers, you see how rare it really is for 2nd rounders and lower to make it in the NHL. So it's really no surprise that most are 1st rounders, if you've done your homework, that is.

Sorry guys, but you'll have a very difficult time beating Stanton in a debate about hockey. He knows the game well. In fact, I've come to enjoy reading these threads just so I can watch him tie you guys up in knots!

Posted by: btcg | October 7, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse