Giroux Assigned to Hershey

The Caps have returned forward Alexandre Giroux to the Hershey Bears. That most likely means that Sergei Fedorov, who was a late scratch for last night's game in Philadelphia, will be ready to go against Carolina on Saturday.

More to come...

By Katie Carrera  |  March 13, 2009; 10:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Road Warriors
Next: Theodore Gets the Day Off

Comments

Let the doorknob hit you where the good Lord split you.

Posted by: Section117 | March 13, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Last night's performance is further evidence that Giroux should stay in the minors where he belongs, for his entire stinking career.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | March 13, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

He was about as valuable as Poti was the other night when he came off 2 seconds into the game.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

or it means that they dont want to pay his (or anyone else's) NHL salary for a day off. they still could call someone else up for tomorrow's game. in fact, they probably only called giroux up for his size vs philly. if brash can go, i would expect no other call ups. otherwise, maybe borque to spell brash and nyls fills in again for feds.

question is, if they have to call up someone else for brash, is that still considered an "emergency" call up?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 13, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Giroux's stats so far this season:

12 GP 1G 1A 2pts +4

Cap's record when he's in the line-up:

10-2

Posted by: meagle | March 13, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I hope we don't play down to teams from here on out...we should roll over Carolina.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 13, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

No fights or even roughing calls in the Nashville/Rangers game last night.

Man..something set it off when we were there...

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't know that playing down would apply to Carolina. Yes, they've lost two straight but they are playing really well over the last 15 or so and they are in playoff position. I still think they may get the 5 or 6 seed come playoff time. They're tough...

Posted by: saintex | March 13, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town,

After two Capital beatdowns, the Pred's hands were too sore to throw punches.

Posted by: FLDave | March 13, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Leonhardt should get the start on Monday.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 13, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why Bourque isn't up here - this seems a perfect time to see what he can do and determine if he is in their future plans.

Posted by: stormblue | March 13, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@Saintex,

Yeah, Carolina is scary right now...hopefully we put them back in their proper place.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 13, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

is taking slapshots from Ovie part of a job description for a web designer?

Posted by: _stevo | March 13, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Something fun for an off day - I was watching a number of games last night online and wondered who I would choose as my team if I weren't a Caps fan. Funny enough, it would probably be Columbus. I don't think I could learn to love any other Eastern Conference, southern, or most Western Conference teams, but I'd take Columbus. Any other ideas?

Posted by: saintex | March 13, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

That would be an interesting interview for a web designer position, "So, other than networking 500 computers into a single server, have you ever faced down a puck going 90 mph?" Just saying....*giggle*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 13, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I cheer for Nashville besides the Caps...small struggling market - like the way the community has fought for them...underdogs...plus I lived there for a bit.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 13, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

saintex,

I like watching Boston. Tough grinding team, plus I like the way one of the announcers talk. Does Columbus still have Jeff Rimer? I can't stand him...

Posted by: FLDave | March 13, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The Kings, you can tell their D is going to be great in a few. Plus, this pic of Frolov from the ASG cracks me up
I wish they'd kept O'Sullivan, I liked rooting for that guy

Posted by: honed | March 13, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@lyle,

The Preds looked good the other and that top D-line will be very good for years. They'd be an all right team. I think that being a midwesterner - and smaller city - both Nashville and Columbus would fit. Of course, in Nashville I can go to the Ryman all the time, that's a bonus.

Posted by: saintex | March 13, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread - Yes, if you get the puck first on the breakaway, it is no penalty, even if the player subsequently trips.

The problem with the Green call in that game is he was called for tripping, not hooking. I don't recall him hooking either, but he clearly got the puck first, same as Ovechkin did last night.

Oh - and I did get a response from the NHL Officials Association about that play where Theodore got called for roughing the guy who took his knees out from under him:

This would be "No Goal"!! The goalkeeper was prevented from properly playing his position. I also doubt if I would call any penalty on the goalkeeper as the player was the one who initiated the contact and caused the goalkeeper to fall on top of him. This is a situation where you have to use good judgment. Did the goalkeeper just fall on top of the player or did he take advantage of his fall to give a shot to the player? Hope this helps.

Posted by: irockthered | March 13, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Aaah! New Thread Bug!

Posted by: irockthered | March 13, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I lived in Detroit in the 60s, so the Wings were the team I rooted for then and the back-up now.

They took our cub scout troop down to the Olympia for practice once, so I got to see Mr. Hockey in person for autographs afterwards.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 13, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Saintex, I enjoy watching the Kings for their away games. The low angle view and crappy camera man makes their home games unwatchable for me. Wish Brown were on our team...

Posted by: Steve_R | March 13, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I thought Giroux did make some contributions and although he took two penalties (atleast one of them was not a good call) deserves another shot up here. He got better as the game went on! People need to get off the Bourque bandwagon. Yes, he hustles but his physical size ia too much of a liability. In my opinion he not gifted enough or big enough to fill any of the positions we need him to fill. Lets hope that we have the same intensity at home that we did on the road. The last two games have been played very well and we will need to play like that through the playoffs. Funny thing when you start on a roll and play like that the less tired you become. Lets keep it rolling tomorrow! Lets Go Caps!!!

Posted by: psugolf | March 13, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I can pull for the Flames and Oilers, gotta support some Canadian teams.

Giroux needs a real shot at playing in DC without having to be worried about reassignment. Look how long Fehr had to prove himself (like 1 1/2 seasons) and he only just started showing signs of any real offense last month (and now he has disappeared again). I think if AG had the same time he would have much higher stats than EF.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 13, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Giroux's play in the nhl on his recent callups hasn't been bad at all. He's going to the net and taking the body. Thats what you want from your young callups. Energy and a nose for the net. People get all bent out of shape over a penalty or two. Can you imagine current fans supporting a young Dale Hunter who took 3 or 4 minors every game? unreal

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 13, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I for one was thoroughly impressed with the CAPS play last night. They looked like a playoff team, and for the first time in five or six games, I am feeling that the second round of the playoffs and beyond is within their reach. It was clearly distinctive that they are now concentrating on defense more than they have in the past. Kudos to Boudreau for incorporating this mindset in his players. Now, let's see if it lasts....

Posted by: johntrader22 | March 13, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse