Giroux Recalled; Kronwall Here, Too (Update)

While watching my son's mini-mite practice here at KCI (too early) this morning, I ran into Alexandre Giroux and Staffan Kronwall. Giroux confirmed that he has been recalled, which could mean that Brooks Laich is out with a bruised leg, and Kronwall told me he got into town last night but can't play until his immigration papers arrive.

Kronwall, by the way, is every bit as big as the 6-3, 210-pounds he listed at in the guide. Also just saw Mike Green, who is being followed by NHL Network cameras all day. The defenseman will be featured in "Day In The Life" on Feb. 26.

Update:Laich is on the ice for the morning skate.

I'll post another update after the morning skate. The Panthers are skating here, too, because of G'town basketball at Verizon Center this afternoon.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 7, 2009; 9:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Odds And Ends From KCI
Next: Laich Expects To Play; Erskine Out

Comments

Any idea what number Kronwall might be wearing, Tarik? Always curious about these things..

Posted by: _jordan | February 7, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the early morning update.

Do you, Tarik, or anybody else know if and where Kronwall has been playing this season?? Has he been playing in Sweeden??

Posted by: dcox50 | February 7, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

@dcox50

Seeing as he was claimed off the re-entry waivers, I would say he was playing with the Marlies of the AHL.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | February 7, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

He's going to wear 44, I'm told.

Posted by: el_bashir | February 7, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tarik!

Posted by: _jordan | February 7, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Cool, Tarik, thanks.

Basketball this afternoon? Goody. Look for crap ice. Maybe it won't be, but.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Tarik:

All hope is lost for an early retirement. Youth hockey will vacuum up all the dough. I would do it all over again myself, though. I get the same jolt watching my boys that I do watching the Caps. Know what I mean?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 7, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm always stuck in class when both teams are skating at KCI.

Posted by: _jordan | February 7, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

_jordan: If it's any comfort, I'm working this morning.

Also, cool that Laich is on the ice for the morning skate. Do we know for sure whether he's skating tonight or not?

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Kronwall is not a bad signing but he's not really any different from our other D-man. I've watched him in the games he played as a Leaf and he is no more than a third line defenseman. He struggled last season. He doesn't commit many turnovers, but he isn't great at forechecking either.

He's not a bad AHL player though. He did well on the Marlies

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | February 7, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

When/if Brian Pothier is ready later this season, some kind of move would have to be made, right? We can't carry 9 D guys.

Posted by: _jordan | February 7, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Mike Green is a STAR! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Kitty,
my first thought was crappy ice tonight as well. Ugh.

Posted by: _Mark | February 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@WhyGo,

Tell me about it. My mom says it's payback for all the money she spent on my hockey career.

--Tarik

Posted by: el_bashir | February 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Grandparents = free hockey!

Can't wait!

Also, on the glass tonight, can't wait for that either!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

From Tim Leone in this morning's Harrisburg Patriot:

"NOTES: Washington claimed defenseman Staffan Kronwall off waivers from Toronto. He's reporting to the Caps. There's language in the NHL collective-bargaining agreement that could allow Kronwall to ultimately play in Hershey this season without facing waivers. ..."

Posted by: tess2201 | February 7, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

AHL all the way, we have guys that can be pulled up already, he is bait or payback for borrowing from Bear so much?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 7, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

giroux has proven his skills in the ahl and is on a one way. Maybe he should get the chance that fehr has been given and not really taken advantage of. Where was the last level fehr really dominated at? How long ago? Was he ever a star in the ahl?

Posted by: wendel2 | February 7, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any extras for tonight? Just need a single to watch the Caps slay the Cats.

Posted by: Servo97 | February 7, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

As poorly as the defense played Thursday, signing this kid was a meassage to the D that something is going to be done. GMGM did the same thing last season after losing to Toronto with 30 seconds left. He was mad at the goaltending, so he signed huet. Hopefully this wakes everyone up tonight!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 7, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

_jordan: I think a move is in the works as it is. We're not being told what it's going to be, but I'm thinking that there are several guys on notice right now to shape up or ride the pine.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Look at Tarik - even when he takes some time out to be a good dad, he's still working and relaying updates to us. Nice multi-tasking. Appreciate the roster updates...but it certainly doesnt slow down my head from spinning with possible deadline deals. We got how many healthy, 14 forwards and 9 d-men? Something has to be going down.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | February 7, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

TEB,

Is the post sending you to the Daytona 500, or are you sticking with Caps duty?

Posted by: Leeguru | February 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@kitty,

Hope so.

Posted by: _jordan | February 7, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I really hope the Caps don't give up on Fehr. Last year we were all calling Flash, Flush and thought that Gabby was crazy to keep giving him a shot, now Flash may score 25 goals this year. Bruce knows these guys better than anyone. If he sees the same upside in Fehr as he does in Flash then I believe it.

Nylander has played great the last week or so but his east/west style just doesn't work with the fast pace north/south style the caps play. He has to go. A guy like Tkachuk to put in front of the net on PP would be ideal. Go get him GMGM.

Posted by: jake81 | February 7, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Lee,

He could head down there to scout the Fla teams.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 7, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

actually, i think the race is next weekend when the boys are in florida anyway. they may just overload him.

Posted by: Leeguru | February 7, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

1 more hour til Legace clears waivers.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Okay, time to say it on this thread. There's reasons to like the Panthers here. They're hot (four out of their last five), got good defense and goaltending and decent scoring, and they work as a unit. This is a statement game for them, and we should approach it as a statement game for us as well. Except our statement should be "Sorry, b*****s, no challengers accepted. The SE is ours. Thank you for playing."

I'm kind of worried about this game tonight after seeing the game Thursday. Come out of the gate and tear them apart, guys. Now, before they get bright ideas about challenging for the division.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@ kitty

I'm hoping the Caps realize the importance of this game. If we beat the Panthers tonight it will serve as a good message that the Southeast is ours, and no one will be coming even close. They need to bring their A game tonight, of course. With a lot of Southeast games on the horizon I'm not too nervous though, we tend to own them. Ovi especially.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | February 7, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Just like they came out of the gate Thursday?

Posted by: Leeguru | February 7, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Nice! We CAN call the rest of the Southeast Division our b**c*es?!! =X Statement game, folks. Caps are hungry and they'll tear through the Panthers as payback for last Thursday. Let's GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 7, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse