Huet to Washington (Updated)

The Caps have acquired Montreal goaltender Cristobal Huet for a second round pick in 2009. Huet, who will turn 33 next month, is one of the better No. 1 netminders in the NHL, and will become be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Huet is earning $2.75 million this season.

"It was a surprise," said Coach Bruce Boudreau, who coached Huet in Manchester (AHL). "When we played Montreal, the talk was that Huet was one of the top 10 goaltenders in the league. So anytime you can acquire that, you acquire it."

Boudreau said he's not planning to play Huet tonight against Minnesota, even if he arrives in time.

The big question now is what does this move means for Olie Kolzig and Brent Johnson? That's not clear just yet, but it obvious that General Manager George McPhee felt he needed to make an upgrade at the goaltending situation.

The pick, by the way, was the second rounder the Caps picked up from Anaheim in exchange for Brian Sutherby earlier this season.

Kolzig was not at the morning skate (which is normal for him on game days) and Johnson has already left the building.

Meantime, Huet, who shutout the Caps on Jan. 29, is 21-12-6 with a 2.55 goals against average and a .916 save percentage, which is 11th in the NHL. The Caps are trying to get Huet here in time to talk to the media today.

"I'm very excited to join a young team like the Capitals and to have the chance to play with Ovechkin instead of facing him," Huet told reporters in Montreal. "I'm a bit surprised by the trade but I had some thoughts about it yesterday when I found out that I would not be in the net versus the Thrashers. I had 3 great years in Montreal, a classy organisation, great teamates, special relationship with the fans. I will miss that. I would have liked to finish the job in Montreal. I did not play well enough in the last few games."

"Washington will be a great new challenge for me," he added. "I dont know about their plans, if I will be use as a no 1 goalie."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 26, 2008; 11:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Deadline Day Update
Next: Caps Acquire Fedorov

Comments

GMGM is my hero! The undertaker strikes again.

Now the question....does BJ get flipped as a back-up? Does Huet buy Olie another year as a back-up?

Tarik, please provide the teams thinking!

Posted by: Huet WOO WOO | February 26, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

a small price to pay for a number one goalie. i like not having to give up any of our young assets

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

This is unreal. I'm on the edge of my seat to see what GMGM does next!!! I feel like we got the best of that trade by far...

Posted by: Zero | February 26, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sold on this donkey.... hasn't won a playoff series, and he's old....

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 26, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Watching the team lately it was obvious that we needed some help imbetween the pipes. To get a no.1 for only a second rounder is sick way to go Georgie

Posted by: Suns | February 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME!!! This could be one of the most daring trades GMGM has ever made. I can only imagine this is the end for Olie.

They need to get Huet signed. He could definitely bridge the gap until Varlamov/Neuvirth are ready.

Posted by: BarnabySUX | February 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

depending on the pick, this could effectively be Sutherby for Huet; that's a deal I'd take any day of the week

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Olie to retire and BJ stays back-up???????

Posted by: mj | February 26, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Go Skins Go ----

Huet is only 32. Thats not old for a goalie.

And when was the last time that Olie won a playoff series?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

What it means is that (finally) the Caps will get some top notch goaltending. Kolzig's contract is up this year, and his play has been, well, inconsistent, at best.
Not to mention the $5 million price tag -

Olie has certainly had a questionable year at best. Maybe he'll join Hanlon in Finland??

Posted by: dogdaze | February 26, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I have to believe that Oile is as good as gone...

Posted by: stepguybrian | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

What do you mean the Caps haven't confirmed this?

Posted by: dave | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Great move by the Caps and GMGM. We need a goalie to steal a gmae or two down the strech, and neither Olie nor BJ are up to that task.

Watch for a "injury" to Kolzig in the next few days.

Hats off to Ted and GMGM, pitting the team's needs before Kolzig's ego.

Posted by: Genotype55 | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

OH, SNAP!

Posted by: jamebow | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,

I may take that bet now :)))

Kolzig is hostiry, outa here, gone! Yes!

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I think that someone may be looking for Olie down the stretch. (Ottawa)

GMGM has bolstered his tending situation so that he can get something for Olie. Could this be a packaged move for Vermet?

I seriously hope we dont get Emery

Posted by: SA_Town | February 26, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Go Skins Go ----

Huet is only 32. Thats not old for a goalie.

And when was the last time that Olie won a playoff series?

Posted by: | February 26, 2008 12:10 PM
--------------------

Solid argument.

I just hate to see one of my all time favorites go. I'm skeptical

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 26, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Caps were talking about Tuomo Ruutu, have lost out on that with Ruutu going to Carolina for Ladd.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig's been warrior for the Caps, but he's clearly not a good fit for BB's style of offense-first hockey. Most times, there's only true defender out there with the goalie, so quickness is key. Now, if they can get a breathing center for Olie.......

Posted by: C-Way | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I've long been an Olie supporter, struggling through the Ranford and Carey years while Olie was the obvious better choice. Now, after watching Olie play the last few weeks, it's time to say so long Olie. The writing is on the wall in that empty locker now filling up with items from Montreal.

Olie has had to be the superstar when this team had none, a difficult task for a goalie. Olie led us to the Stanley Cup finals, someone no other goalie has. Now, Olie's efforts should earn him at least a spot in the rafters after he's earned his place in our hearts. This is the end for Olie Kolzig in Washington.

Posted by: Goodbye Old Friend | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

As a card-carrying Olie critic, let me say (as I have often stated in the past) that I have nothing but respect for what he has done for the organization over the years.

On the ice he was a great goalie, and off the ice he was probably an even better person.

The incident that upset me the most this season was when he made the comments about Boudreau, even after Boudreau had literally saved the season.

So, this acquisition is a big deal. Will Huet be the Caps goalie for the next 3 to 5 years? Or just for the rest of this season? And if Huet re-signs with the Caps (no guarantee on that, by the way) will Olie re-sign for a diminished role, and salary?

Many many questions, but what's clear is that we should thank Olie for his service, and hope Huet can put the Caps over the edge and get them into the playoffs this season.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, did you have any clue at all the Mcphee was going to do this deal?

Posted by: Ffx, VA | February 26, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I am absolutely in shock. Whoa, this can't be true.

Posted by: SLM | February 26, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting, considering the Caps have had trouble scoring lately, but not with goaltending.

Posted by: katzistan | February 26, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Anybody see that Vogel has Schultz (55) on Defense for Minnesota tonight?

I knew there were two Backstrom's, two Green(e)'s - not sure about two Schultz's?

Posted by: dogdaze | February 26, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Even better, Huet for a 2009 2nd rounder

Posted by: Doug | February 26, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Nick Schultz plays for Minn.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The Caps may not have confirmed the trade but the Canadiens website has - it's a done deal.

Olie, thanks for all the years in Washington, you've been a class act!!!

Posted by: Nils | February 26, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Careful - don't get too excited. McPhee could turn Huet around for a first round pick to someone else who is looking for a #1 goalie. It wouldn't be a surprise to me at all, so let's not get excited yet. I'd hate to see Olie in another uniform, but he won't have an "injury" either. Someone is going somewhere, but it still might be Huet... stay tuned! See you all tonight - Go Caps!

Posted by: Roose | February 26, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Doug - TSN has it as an '08 2nd rounder. Where'd you hear '09?

Posted by: mattymatty | February 26, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Holy cow, this is great. I definitely did not expect this move. I figured it would be the usual Eminger for a 12th round pick or some wizardry like that.

TSN is reporting it, so I wouldn't worry about the Caps not confirming. Now we need to sign him, as he's an UFA at the end of the season. I suppose it would be OK to have him just as a rental, but I'd rather get a few good years out of him until the next prospect is ready.

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 26, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Up here, the question is What Is Montreal Smoking? Unless they make another deal, they're putting their hopes on a 20-year old who's been shuttling between Hamilton and Montreal (Carey Price). Huet is 32, but not with a lot of mileage.

Huet will be a UFA come July.

And Jeff Halpern (who someone said was from the DC area) is going to Tampa as part of the Brad Richards trade to Dallas.

But hey- we traded Wade Belak to Florida for a 5th round pick! Let's schedule the parade now!

Posted by: Patrick | February 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

TSN changed their report (live on the stream)

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rob | February 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@katzistan - no trouble with goaltending? Olie says Carolina game was biggest of the season and gives up 6? As much as I love and respect Olie for all hes done for the Caps, if we want to see the playoffs this year, this is a good move by gmgm. Wonder what is next?

Posted by: fansince72 | February 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

How long is Huet under contract?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

This is a good move for the Caps if they keep Huet. Although personally I'll be a tad upset if Olie doesn't retire a Cap, just sentimentally.

Posted by: Emmie | February 26, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone out there know if a goalie has been called up from Hershey this AM? It would be a clear sign that Kolzig is on the move (as it could take days for Huet to get a work permit and they'll need a backup for Johnson)?

Posted by: BY | February 26, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@Roose

Why would a team give the Caps a first rounder for a player they could have had for a second rounder?

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | February 26, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Best full 60 minutes the Caps have played since their very brief stay in first place in the division. Alright best 64 minutes. Boudreau needs to keep Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin together. They energize each other and create magic that energizes the whole team as could be seen at the end of the game. Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin are right at the top of the league with Ottawa's and Detroit's top lines. The point of moving Semin to the second line was to spread the scoring, but it has not panned out. Nothing against Fleishmann, he just doesn't have the chemistry that happens with Semin and Ovechkin and Backstrom. Kozlov may actually do better without Semin. They both like to possess the puck and are exceptional at doing it. Kozlov might find more room to operate with a couple of guys who will just crash the net. The third and fourth lines are carrying their weight fine. An aside: How does Brashear fore-check so effectively while being one of the slowest skaters in the league?

Would like the Caps announcers to please cut back on the idle chit chat and focus on the game. They have a charm about them, but please less about their dinner and travel plans, less unimportant info about players birthplaces and minor league stops, etc. With under four minutes to go in the game they were talking about Memphis and Tennessee basketball. Hockey games are not baseball games with slow down time. Let us know what lines are on the ice and the significance of the action on the ice. Also, please finish thoughts. Example: "Green and Ovechkin can become the first defensemen and forward on the same team to lead the league in goal scoring in a long time." Alright, that's interesting. But how long? Orr and Esposito? Potvin and Bossy? Gretzky and Coffey? Neely and Bourque? MacInnis and Hull? Lemieux and Coffey? Lidstrom and Federov? Jagr and Murphy? Someone please tell me!!!

Also does anyone know where one can find online stats that include hits and face off percentage?

Posted by: rogerr | February 26, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Montreal is closing in on a deal for Khabibulin.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Mattymatt

The TSN commentators came on a few minutes ago and stated it was a 2009 instead of 2008 2nd rounder, I guess the trade tracker hasn't been updated as yet.

Posted by: Doug | February 26, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap.

I wonder if Olie will be leaving us in the next couple hours.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 26, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

At least we wont have to watch Olie choke in Pittsburgh.

However, I love Olie as a Cap just not as the starting goaltender anymore. Best of luck to him wherever he may go.

Posted by: Mike | February 26, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@BY

Wouldn't Huet already have a work permit for the United States? He does play games in the United States.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | February 26, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Ummm...rogerr. Go back to two days ago. :D

Posted by: keef | February 26, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

from the caps web site....

The draft choice Washington sends to Montreal is Anaheim's second-round pick in 2009, previously acquired in exchange for center Brian Sutherby.

Posted by: Genotype55 | February 26, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I think this means BJ's out the door, friends. Olie's starting tonight, iirc. Also - Trade is number one on the ticker at the Caps website. GMGM needs to get down and sign Huet, whoo.

Posted by: whiter mage | February 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I think they would do something with Johnny before they get rid of Kolzig. If Olie doesn't retire as a Cap..I'm going to be ticked off and I would hope the team thinks that well of him and that he gets ticked off if they do trade him.

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | February 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh man...that is effectively Suts for Huet. GMGM is turning out to be pretty shrewd this year.

Posted by: keef | February 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@freakinandpeakin

The visas are different for visitors vs. residents work visa.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Does Olie have a no-trade or no-movement clause in his contract?

Tarik - What are you hearing?

Posted by: Nils | February 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It's official, the Capitals have announced it on their website through GMGM. Huet to the Caps for a 2nd Round 2009 draft pick.

Posted by: Mitch | February 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Goalie Huet Reportedly to Caps
The Caps have reportedly acquired Montreal goaltender Christobal Huet for a second round pick in 2009. Huet, 32, is a No. 1 netminder and will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Not sure what this means for Olie Kolzig and Brent Johnson. Stay tuned.

The Caps have not confirmed this move yet.

By Tarik El-Bashir | February 26, 2008; 11:53 AM ET
Previous: Deadline Day Update |

CommentsPlease email us to report offensive comments.

GMGM is my hero! The undertaker strikes again.

Tarik, please provide the teams thinking!

Posted by: Huet WOO WOO | February 26, 2008 12:03 PM

Posted by: | February 26, 2008 12:07 PM

Posted by: Zero | February 26, 2008 12:07 PM

I'm not sold on this donkey.... hasn't won a playoff series, and he's old....

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 26, 2008 12:07 PM

Posted by: Suns | February 26, 2008 12:08 PM

Posted by: BarnabySUX | February 26, 2008 12:08 PM

Posted by: | February 26, 2008 12:08 PM

Olie to retire and BJ stays back-up???????

Posted by: mj | February 26, 2008 12:09 PM

@ Go Skins Go ----

Huet is only 32. Thats not old for a goalie.

And when was the last time that Olie won a playoff series?

Posted by: | February 26, 2008 12:10 PM

Not to mention the $5 million price tag -

Posted by: dogdaze | February 26, 2008 12:10 PM

I have to believe that Oile is as good as gone...

Posted by: stepguybrian | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM

What do you mean the Caps haven't confirmed this?

Posted by: dave | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM

Watch for a "injury" to Kolzig in the next few days.

Hats off to Ted and GMGM, pitting the team's needs before Kolzig's ego.

Posted by: Genotype55 | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM

OH, SNAP!

Posted by: jamebow | February 26, 2008 12:11 PM

Steve R,

I may take that bet now :)))

Kolzig is hostiry, outa here, gone! Yes!

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2008 12:12 PM

I think that someone may be looking for Olie down the stretch. (Ottawa)

I seriously hope we dont get Emery

Posted by: SA_Town | February 26, 2008 12:13 PM

@ Go Skins Go ----

Huet is only 32. Thats not old for a goalie.

And when was the last time that Olie won a playoff series?

Posted by: | February 26, 2008 12:10 PM
--------------------

Solid argument.

I just hate to see one of my all time favorites go. I'm skeptical

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 26, 2008 12:14 PM

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM

Posted by: C-Way | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM

Posted by: Goodbye Old Friend | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | February 26, 2008 12:15 PM

Tarik, did you have any clue at all the Mcphee was going to do this deal?

Posted by: Ffx, VA | February 26, 2008 12:16 PM

I am absolutely in shock. Whoa, this can't be true.

Posted by: SLM | February 26, 2008 12:16 PM

Posted by: katzistan | February 26, 2008 12:16 PM

Anybody see that Vogel has Schultz (55) on Defense for Minnesota tonight?

Posted by: dogdaze | February 26, 2008 12:17 PM

Even better, Huet for a 2009 2nd rounder

Posted by: Doug | February 26, 2008 12:17 PM

Nick Schultz plays for Minn.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:18 PM

Olie, thanks for all the years in Washington, you've been a class act!!!

Posted by: Nils | February 26, 2008 12:18 PM

Posted by: Roose | February 26, 2008 12:19 PM

Doug - TSN has it as an '08 2nd rounder. Where'd you hear '09?

Posted by: mattymatty | February 26, 2008 12:19 PM
--------

TSN's got an audio feed said it was an 09 pick

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Huet traded to Caps, confirmed on Caps website >>>

Posted by: Gavle-girl | February 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Man... I wonder if he'll be in goal tonight.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 26, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, GMGM deserves a lot of credit for this pickup. This is going to be the trade that gets into the playoffs.

The best part is that they didn't have to get rid of any players. It may offend Olie, but he'll get over it.

Posted by: Rob | February 26, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

WOW MY B about coping everything. I'll stop working and concentrating more on posting msg's correctly.

SORRY!

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 26, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@HolyOlie

Huet will not be here in time to play tonight. If the Visa issues are cleared he'd probably be able to play Friday in NJ or Saturday in DC.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I thought maybe the Caps sign Huet in the offseason but this is even better. Huet is a capable goalie though the Caps did put up 5 against him last time they met. With three goalies, one is certain to go or be sent down to the minors. Not sure how Johnson feels about being sent down to the minors. I wonder if a team is looking to trade for Olie. One that comes to mind is Ottawa, whose goaltending situation is a complete mess at the moment.

BTW, I have an extra ticket to the game tonight since my brother can't make it. Anyone interested in going?

Posted by: Lowell | February 26, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I was posting on the older blogs - I was suprised no one was talking about this - this is Huge... does he start tonight?

Can we get a winger as well - I hear Federov might be the guy... he wouldn't be too bad - as long as we just give up a draft pick or something - like a 3rd round or a 2nd round of 2009 or 2010.

Posted by: 828 | February 26, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Sutherby for Huet - BRILLIANT!!

@ Go Skins Go -

Next time, try not to copy the entire thread into your post!

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 26, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

tarik, i'm dying here! what's happening to Olie!?!? We've gotta move someone, and it's gotta be him, right?

Posted by: eager | February 26, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"...[Huet] made his North American debut in 2002-03 as a member of the Manchester Monarchs, where he played for Washington head coach Bruce Boudreau."

Ah ha!

Posted by: Baildog | February 26, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Go Skins Go, I was about to offer you up in a one way package deal with Kolzig to the Artic Circle for that copy post.

Posted by: Mitch | February 26, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

NJ traded Cam Janssen to STL for Bryce Salvador

Posted by: JamesD | February 26, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Cool...9 nationalities on the team now.

Posted by: Ali | February 26, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

There is a rumor, and I stress this is just scuttlebutt, that the Caps may be tied into a three way deal that first hinges on the Hossa deal being consummated (and assumes that Hossa is likely going to Montreal). The deal may or may not include Olie but is likely to include Eminger and perhaps one other roster player. This is being discussed in circles north of the boarder.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mitch | February 26, 2008 12:31 PM
-----------

I deserve it. Sorry for the JV play.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | February 26, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted this in the previous thread but since people are bringing up a Johnson trade here to I'll reiterate it.

The difference between trading Kolzig and trading Johnson is that Kolzig would be much easier to move. He's a UFA after this year AND, although he has struggled this year, he is a much more proven commodity then Johnson. Keep in mind, he did lead a team to the Stanley Cup Finals. I just don't see teams lining up to add Johnson to their roster.

Posted by: nhcaps | February 26, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

jay - what is the rumor with caps?

Posted by: kost | February 26, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Interesting move since Huet is a UFA thsi year. Raises a number of questions, including about both Olie and BJ's contracts. I doubt Olie's would let him get sent down, but could Johnson's let him go down to hershey to help their cup run and be a back up in case of inury for the season?

I HIGHLY doubt Olie is going anywhere. Coudl you imagine the kind of insurection that woudl cause in alot of the fan base? I would be like if the O's had traded Cal. Just not happening. While the NHL is a game, it's also a business and you don't suceed in business by pissing off your customers like that. If olie choses to retire after the season, so be it, but I don't see him getting traded. That would be totally throwing in the towel since keepign Olie around was predicated on us giving him another shot at a Cup. Not that it's realistic this year, but if we trade him we're saying "we don't stand a chance".

Posted by: EricS | February 26, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Nice info Baildog

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

good new.

Olie deserves to get another shot at a cup!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: livint | February 26, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

It would be like if the O's had traded Cal?

Or like the Capitals had traded Peter Bondra.

Don't put anything past McPhee.

Posted by: John in Mpls | February 26, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad GMGM, TL and BB all realize that the time is now...
"We are done rebuilding", said TL. You have to make progress as a franchise. This is the year that they EXPECTED to make the play-offs.

What this team has done since BB took over should prove to all the stand patters that we have a team that can compete with anybody. We just need a piece here or there.

Huet in...
Who is next GMGM?

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

REPEAT: Does anyone know if the Caps have called up a goalie from Hershey today (as it would be a pretty clear sign that Kolzig is being traded)?

Posted by: BY | February 26, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Dale hunter left before he retired. Olie may do the same thing for a Cup run.

We may make the playoffs, but we expect much after that.

Posted by: SA_Town | February 26, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

BY

Or johnson.

Posted by: Yosh | February 26, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@BY: I think Tarik would have mentioned that

Posted by: honed | February 26, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Marty lapointe to sens

Posted by: kost | February 26, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

So, does anyone know if the active roster limit goes away today? I'm trying to determine if Article 16.4a of the CBA refers to the roster expanding permanently or just the trade deadline day.

Posted by: tallbear | February 26, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@BY

"an Ontario native and former college goaltender at Neumann College, took shots in practice. The highlight of his day -- and perhaps life -- was a nice glove save on Ovechkin."

---Maybe he will play back up tonight...He stoned Ovie, and then talked some trash to Brashear.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Its a natural step.
A.Blow up the team...
B.Rebuild for a few years...
C.Make the play-offs...
D.Compete for Conference crown...
E.Stanley Cup Contender...
F.Win the Stanley Cup...

Its called progress... you dont get from point A to point F without going through the other steps.

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Ottawa fans don't want Olie and they think the Huet trade maybe part of a three way deal to get Emery out of their town and in DC. We'll see how this all plays out in the end but the moves so far had made this a very memorable trade deadline thus far.

Posted by: Lowell | February 26, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@kost

I'm not sure of the specifics now, though the inference is that Montreal would be involved in the deal. I'm nowhere near confident that a deal like that could happen due to the complexity. But I've heard from someone who feels Montreal and the Caps may not be done. I've also heard Chicago has been a team of interest, though I'm not sure if that went out the window with Ruutu being traded to the Canes. I have also heard that Montreal is looking at Khabibulin and is likely to make a move for a goaltender but that it likely hinges on the Hossa deal being finalized. There's too many parts to try and figure it out, so I'm inclined to just see what happens rather than trying to figure out what the other moving pieces might be.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

My guess, if indeed Kolzig or Johnson gets moved is that Huet is the backup tonight to whoever is left in Washington. On Friday, Huet assumes the #1 position and drop kicks the left over goalie to the backup position.

Posted by: Mitch | February 26, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@Jay...

Rumors of Khabi to Montreal...Maybe caps send huet to Chicago for Lang? TSN reporting Lang was pulled off the ice at practice

Posted by: Mike | February 26, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@ tallbear: I'm pretty sure I read that the active roster limit goes away after today, til the end of the season. If I remember correctly, then theoretically we could stand pat...though I am suspecting/hoping for Eminger's sake he is traded as well.

Posted by: SLM | February 26, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Why would the Sens want Kolzig? Khabibulin is waaaay better.

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is so happy about "Sutherby for Huet," but the apparent reason that we got that deal in the first place was because Brian Burke promised Bryzgalov that he'd go to a place where he'd start. So we **could** have claimed Bryzgalov for free, and not have traded Sutherby -- and I think there's an argument to be made for getting Bryzgalov over Huet.

Posted by: Bret | February 26, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope you're completely wrong Mike.

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Thank GOD we don't have Ray Emery. Huet > Emery.
GREAT news that Huet is a Cap. The guy can just stop shots. Not the fastest, but he's young(Er) legs, and his head is on right. The media also won't tear him a new one after each loss here (Though you guys might).

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 26, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Me too...again i'm just trying to read into rumors here...mostly spurred on by Jay's posts.

Posted by: @JSchon | February 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

BY - the Caps have 3 goalies at the moment. they wouldn't need to call any up if they traded kolzig.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@ Bret

I understand that Bryz is younger, maybe better, and could have been had for free.

Olie was playign strong at that point with his loser Hanlon. Also, Bryz has been rumored to be a headcase so I can see both ways, but I have been a big critic of GMGM passing on Bryz.

I love this move though

Posted by: Mike | February 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Whoops...meant in response to you JSchon

Posted by: Mike | February 26, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope they keep Huet and don't trade him for someone else...Caps need goaltending.

Posted by: Kost | February 26, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

huet wont be able to play tonight or back up because of visas so we would have to call up a back up no matter who is gone

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@Mike

Didn't they say that LaPointe was the one pulled off the ice in Chicago? I didn't hear Lang but I may have missed it.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Lowell:

I am interested!!! broke college kid so any tickets are welcome tickets

Posted by: Pat | February 26, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I like both our Goalies. As a backup I would rather have Olie even though Brent has been better (lately). There will be something wrong about not seeing ollie's all stars on the ice.

Posted by: Jon | February 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@anon... I doubt Huet would be available for tonights game... so if, Ollie is traded, they would need a back-up for Johnson.

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I've read enough to be more than a little tired...

All I will say is that I fully support this move IF we sign Huet to a deal. Renting him for this season is a HUGE mistake.

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Salei to Avs

Posted by: Kost | February 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@Jay I heard Robert Lang too.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Could have sworn I heard LaPointe AND Lang were pulled off.

Posted by: @Jay | February 26, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Why would we want Lang?

Posted by: 828 | February 26, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

completely agree bret, this could have all been avoided with getting bryzgalov earlier for free for the sake of winning(which we would have done a lot more of between then and now with him in the net), and to hell with kolzigs feelings or whatever chemistry would have been disrupted, this is the pros, and winning cures everything.

Posted by: sheesh | February 26, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand why Montreal would give away Huet. Thats why there's two hours left before the deadline I suppose

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 26, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@828 Nobody said we want Lang (or that we didn't) just that he was pulled off the ice and is likely involved in a deal (not necesarily the Caps).

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 26, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that I have been a big critic of GMGM but if he can get rid of Olie, Petty, Eminger and get us a 1st or 2nd rounder and a player back he might been a genius.

Posted by: Roger | February 26, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Eklund (I know, I know):

"Washington is trying to move goaltender Olaf Kolzig, but as of right now he is not willing to waive his no trade clause."

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see the irony in a Frenchman replacing a German?

...and why is everyone saying Sutherby for Huet? On both the Canadiens and Caps websites it says second round pick (as announced by McPhee), no mention of Sutherby anywhere.

Posted by: Kullman | February 26, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@Roger...

Spoken like a true Caps Fan.

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

TSN just said a 2009 second round pick again

Posted by: SOmbrero Guy | February 26, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Let the Bryz thing go! We may have actually asked for him - if we did ask we would have lost out to the Yoates since they had a worse record than ours last year (that's how it's decided if more than one team asks for a waivered player). Whether we asked or not, that ship has sailed.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 26, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

My understanding is Huet was dealt because Montreal feels he's not capable of leading them to the Cup this year and they had no intentions of re-signing him after the season. They have at least two deals in the works, one attempting to get Hossa and another to land what they feel will be an upgrade to Huet in net.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

We just picked up a legit, cancer-free starting goalie, why would we let him go to end up with Emery? Maybe if we were to ship Huet back out in some crazy combination to end up with Hossa, but not Emery.

Man, no work getting done here today!

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 26, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@Kullman

Because we got a 2nd round pick for Sutherby and traded a 2nd round pick for Huet... in separate deals

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@Kullman

When we traded Sutherby, we got a second round pick, so by trading a second round pick for Huet in essenxe its Sutherby for Huet. Not sure how accurate this is because I don't know if we got a 2008 or a 2009 round pick for Suds.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Eklund is a joke...he is dead wrong all the time

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@Kullman The Sutherby connection is that the pick we gave the Habs is the one we got for Sutherby (Sutherby = 2009 pick = Huet). Folks were laughing it up over that one earlier.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

This looks like a great deal. Effectively Sutherby for a #1 goalie. Also, I think there's good reason to think we can sign Huet to a contract extension before he turns UFA - Boudreau was his coach during 2002-03 with the Manchester Monarchs in the AHL. And 32 is not old for a goalie.

At the same time, I don't think the club will trade Johnny - he also has potential to be a #1 goalie and there would be too much risk to give him up until Huet's situation is clear. Rather I'd predict that Olie will be traded to San Jose - Nabakov's current backup is a very young goaltender and I'm sure that for their playoff run Ron Wilson would prefer a veteran backup who he knows well. It will be sad to see Olie go ... but I think its inevitable. Guess we'll know by 3pm today.

Posted by: JWeiss | February 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@kullman

The 2009 2nd second rounder GMGM shipped off is Anaheim's pick they gave us for Sutherby.

Posted by: tallbear | February 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@Finn

Dismiss the Eklund nonsense. Olie doesn't have a no-trade.

Posted by: Jay | February 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Upon first glance, this is a great, great trade. Huet is a certified # 1 who can win for us.

But, i wonder seriously whether that means Olie is either demoted, or, god forbid, gone (though i seriously doubt that). It also calls to mind the fact that Johnny got resigned to two more years this season. Is he going down or is he on the block?

But Huet for an '09 second rounder? Any day of the week, gentlemen and ladies.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 26, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Eklund says trying to trade Ollie...Yeah Kolzig stays!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 26, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

This is just great - Huet and Boudreau (French brothers) are now going to learn the team some of the finer pints of the post-game - can you say "bordeaux, pouilly Fuisse, or Dom Perignon"?

Great Daze ahead for the Caps!

Posted by: dogdaze | February 26, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Great for the CAPS, but what is Montreal doing giving up their #1 Goalie when they are sitting well in the playoff hunt. At this point I'd rather have BJ as back-up only based on Olie's recent play.

Posted by: wienerdog4410 | February 26, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Hello,

... on the Nats Blog, I'm 'natscan reduxit'. But for now, I want to comment on the Huet trade. As a senior citizen Habs fan of forty years plus, I gotta say Bob Gainey is brilliant in this move. Clearly he has made this trade in order to flip the pick and then add it to the Hossa package now being built.

... but for the Caps, I'm afraid you didn't fare as well as you might hope. I've watched Christobal in his last half dozen games or so, and IMHO it's a real stretch to call him an all-star goalie. He has been letting in so many pucks through and under his legs of late, you'd think he was called Swiss because of all the holes.

... but hey, you still have Ovetchkin, so your future is rosy indeed.

Posted by: habsfan reduxit | February 26, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Lowell:

in case you didnt see it the first time, i'll gladly take that ticket off your hands

Posted by: Pat | February 26, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Foote back to avs

Posted by: kost | February 26, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Columbus has traded Adam Foote to Colorado

Posted by: 828 | February 26, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean that all the whining and complaining about Bryzgalov can finally stop? ;)

BJ might be better as trade fodder... just sayin'.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Dear Olie,
Thank you for all the years you've spent with this franchise - through thick and thin. But, unfortunately, it's time to move on.

Huet ==> 0.916 Save Percentage, 2.55 GAA
Olie ==> 0.888 Save Percentage, 3.03 GAA

I don't care how bad the defense is playing in front of Olie, you can't ignore the the huge differences in the numbers. Imagine where we'd be in the playoff hunt had our #1 goalie had those kinds of numbers through 63 games.

Posted by: 8 is enuf | February 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"The Avs have already picked up Ruslan Salei, and if they add Foote, you have to imagine John-Michael Liles will be on the move. Liles is going to be a UFA in July and I think the Rangers will take a good long look at him..."

I wouldn't mind grabbing Liles either...

Posted by: 828 | February 26, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

tsn is reporting that Adam Foote to Colorado.

Posted by: JamesD | February 26, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I would not be shocked if Kolzig was dealt, and in fact have been expecting it. I said on the Caps board a few times (back in December or so) that I could see him being dealt at the deadline, possibly to a Western team.

I think one reason he stepped up his play for several games may have been a trade audition. Witt did the same thing before he was dealt.

That said, some people who trashed Kolzig for "softies" and blowing leads can expect to see the same thing at times from Huet. If the Caps resign Huet, they essentially buy another Kolzig, but at age 32 instead of 37.

Posted by: Jupe | February 26, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov to Caps

Posted by: ButterSchultz | February 26, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@habsfanreduxit

you'd think he was called Swiss because of all the holes.

Have you seen Kolzig of late? Not to mention the fact that he is just plain slow in his veteran years...

Posted by: LOAFKOLZIG | February 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@Pat
Man, my friend at work just ask if the ticket was still available and wants to go. You just missed it by mere minutes.

I hope they can get Huet down here tonight. It would be awesome to see him suit up for us tonight!

Posted by: Lowell | February 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Kullman

Because the 2nd round pick we gave up for Huet is the one we received from wherever for Sutherby.

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Huet is an upgrade but on Caps site, his career stats say that he has not played more than 42 games in a given year...hmmmm

Posted by: NJ | February 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Federov!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov to the Capitals!!!

Posted by: Adam | February 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

TSN confirms that Federov is going to the Caps... no clue on what we are giving up

Posted by: Mike | February 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

On paper, this looks like grand theft against Les Habs. Way to go gmgm.

If gmgm wants to earn his caps back, now trade Erskine, Eminger, Pettinger, and a second round draft pick for Adam Foote and give the new goalie the blueline support he deserves.

Posted by: Clarendon | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

TSN just announced Sergei Federov to the Caps - no info on what the Caps gave up

Posted by: Dman | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

TSN is reporting Federov is a CAP! Not sure what they traded....

Posted by: Trav | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

This is like XMAS. I am loving these deals.

Posted by: Matt | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Federov to Caps according to TSN

Posted by: Mitch | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov to the Caps?

Posted by: mattymatty | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Federov to Caps

Posted by: Huet WOO WOO | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Day late and dollar short

Posted by: JamesD | February 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@habsfan reduxit

Your post is Swiss cheese. Im sure that 2nd round pick is a real Hossa deal breaker...

We got a good deal, and your team is weak like the French

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Federov to the Caps confirmed by nhl network

Posted by: MetalCap | February 26, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

TSN audio feed mentions Federov to Washington....

Posted by: Chris in SS | February 26, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

holy crap, is he even healthy, or have we just added another player to the IR, can he play TONIGHT?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Let's see. Personally, I would put Federov between 25 and 28. Ov and Backstom must always play together.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 26, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Federov and Ovechkin...im gettin giddy now!!!

Posted by: Joe | February 26, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

980 just said the Caps got federov, but tsn says he's gone to colorado....which is it..

Posted by: dave | February 26, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Sergei Fedorov could be going to the Capitals.

Posted by: 828 | February 26, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Lowell:

I agree! thanks anyway

Posted by: Pat | February 26, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Posted by: Finn | February 26, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

So it is. Federov to DC, for a TBA. Emmyand/or Petty and a pick perhaps in the third or fourth?

Posted by: EricS | February 26, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Exciting stuff about Huet as the number one. But Huet will simply be subject to the same onslaught of pucks that Kolzig has had for years if we dont pick up a defenseman to beat people up in front of the net. GMGM, where is our Scott Stevens?

Posted by: Bengt Gustaffson is God | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

my head is going to explode- we need details! :p

Posted by: honed | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

How awesome would an all Russian line of OV - Federov - Semin be?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I do have to agree with the other posts that there must be another goalie in the works for Montreal. They would never go into the playoffs with just Halak, and Price in the wings. If Khabibulin is in the mix, that would only make sense. As for us, GMGM finally earned his salary although the Habs could be smoking rope.

As for Huet, for all we know he could have had some locker room issues and such, which made him easier to trade. Christ, he's French, and coming to DC, Freedom Fries and all.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

CAPS ACQUIRE SERGEI FEDEROV...

Losses TBA.

Not so sure how I feel about this just yet.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Haha, how many times did we all say - Federov to Caps... So, maybe Federov Backstom and Ovechkin...

Then Semin, Kovlov, and Flash???

Posted by: 828 | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I would guess that Emmy will going to Columbus for sure, since they just off-loaded Foote.

Posted by: Matt | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Say goodbye to Johnson. Olie won't give up his no trade clause.

Posted by: Fritzy | February 26, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Awesome - looking like the Russian National team

Posted by: Kost | February 26, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@ ButterSchultz

And here I was about to jump on you for stirring things up with BS posts...TSN confirms it. Though what we give up is listed as "TBA". Therefore, not entirely sure yet how I feel about this trade. Though if it says "TBA" I guess it's not a warm body.

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 26, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Dave - TSN says Fedorov to DC for TBA.

If we're going for broke, we may as well get a top defensemen too, right?

Posted by: mattymatty | February 26, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

It's official.
Russians from Washington are already penciled in for their true passion.
IIHF World Championship

Posted by: Chief | February 26, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm optimistic about Huet for the stretch run, but there is a reason the Habs were rushing Carey Price to be their starter. I suspect that a lot of those same point blank shots that got by Kolzig will get by Huet.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 26, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

FEDOROV to washington to play countrymen OVIE? tsn confirms it. i like the veteran leadership aquired. GET ANOTHER D THOUGH

Posted by: james | February 26, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

is anyone else watching the NHL.com coverage? Brian Burke is a jerk

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

nevermind

Posted by: Clarendon | February 26, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I hope we didn't give up too much to obtain Federov as a spring rental. I wonder if Federov will play wing or second line center with Semin.

I can see them reunite Ovie, Backstrom, Kozlov. Then Semin, Fedorov, (flavor of the week).

Posted by: Lowell | February 26, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I dont think BB would break up OV and Backstrom to put out a Russina line.

Nyet!

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I hope kolzig gets traded. He's the __________ on the pedastal so to speak just for taking credit for Bondra getting us to the final in 1998. I was bashing GMGM back in October about why he took nylander and signed him til hes 40 but this is a damn good deal. way to go

Posted by: Perl | February 26, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

wow Fedorov!

Posted by: CapsFanInHollywood | February 26, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@Fritzy

Olie does not have a no trade clause

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | February 26, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

TSN is reporting Theo Ruth

Posted by: Yosh | February 26, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Ewwwwwwww.. I just threw up.. Federov ?? The guy is 38 and an UFA. They better not have given up Emmy for that.

The first trade for Huet is huge, but they need to resign him for 2-3 years to bridge that gap for their their two minor league stud goalies to make it to DC.

This has to mean that Kolzig is on his way out. Johnson has played well this year so I doubt he's leaving. Maybe the Caps will work out something to trade Kolzig to a contender this year and bring him back as a backup in the offseason.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

TSN.ca NHL homepage now has Federov to Caps headline, but I can't pull the story up on who or what went the other way

Posted by: BY | February 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Caps gave up Theo Ruth for Federov. Don't know much about him, but hopefully he's not the cause of another Ruth curse...

Posted by: katzistan | February 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov for prospect Ted Ruth. Our second round pick from the 2007 draft http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=105407

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

we need a defenseman!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

GMGM I take back everything I ever said about you. Fantastic moves, thank you!!

Posted by: steve | February 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the Backstrom should stay with Ovechkin sentiment.

They are the future together, they've got to stay together.

Federov, though. I like him, but shouldn't this have happened in Ovie's rookie year?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov for "prospect Theo Ruth" according to TSN. Who the Hell is Theo Ruth??? Yes, I think I can live with this trade.

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

TSN reports that we got Federov for prospect Theo Ruth.

Never heard of the guy.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Pre-emptive strike.

No one please get upset at my "French" comment. It was just a joke.

:o)

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 26, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

New Post from Tarik

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I see Fedorov Between Semin and Koz...Keep OV and the Swede together!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | February 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Leonsis lately ?
He's actually AZAMAT.

Posted by: Chief | February 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

How can I listen to all of this LIVE? On the computer - any links... please help - I just keep hitting refresh and it's annoying.

Posted by: 828 | February 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Ted Ruth? Ok....I guess Columbus wanted clear some space and money this year.

Posted by: EricS | February 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Traded for Teddy Rooth who is a freshman at Notre Dame.... HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! A 2007 3rd rnd pick I think.

Posted by: Travis Rechenbach | February 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

While I'm not sure about the acquisitions, you gotta give GMGM props on both of these. It's amazing no one was offering anything better than a 2009 2nd-rounder and Theo Ruth for Huet and Federov. The Caps got some decent players giving up essentially nothing in return.

Posted by: katzistan | February 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

They're both UFAs, but I'm not exactly complaining.

Posted by: :-/ | February 26, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I am ok with giving up Ted Ruth for Fedorov. If I recall, we drafted him a little earlier than most people had him projected anyway.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 26, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me Teddy Ruth.... Well, what do you guys think? We are busting up the current team and adding veteran depth. Thoughts?

Posted by: Travis Rechenbach | February 26, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, so who is leaving Johnson or Kolzig? One of them has to be gone today, right?

Posted by: olieovie | February 26, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

sorry, aren't busting up the current team... HAHA! I'm a moron....

Posted by: Travis Rechenbach | February 26, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@828

www.nhl.com has a link 1st slide to nhl network's feed

Posted by: MetalCap | February 26, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Some serious bargains. A no. 1 goalie for a 4th line grinder, a top 6 center for an average defense prospect (of whom we've got more than enough).

Posted by: Scai | February 26, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The hockey gods are listening...
Federov
Huet
for
Sutherby
Ruth

um, this is good... even if one of the 2 are rentals...

Posted by: JSchon | February 26, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Didn't even know we had a Ted "Theo" Ruth. Was he the guy would did he laundry at the practice facility. Him for Federov. Nice trade!

Posted by: Nils | February 26, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Federov for a short time may have been the best player in the world.

Those days are well behind him now.. in 50 games with Colombus this year he has 9 goals, 19 assists and a -3.

The good news is that at this point in his career, he is at best a second-line center. And it just so happens that that is exactly what the Caps need.

I'm ok with giving up Teddy Ruth, because the Caps have several other D in the system with more potential.

GMGM has addressed goaltending and the center position. Will he go for the solid crease-clearing D-man? There's still time left..

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | February 26, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@PAT
I have a free ticket if you are interested. It is somewhere in section 115. Let me know.

Posted by: ATOMIX | February 26, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Matt Cooke for Petty!

Posted by: Matt | February 26, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Matt Cooke for Petty

Posted by: Sabah | February 26, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Teddy Ruth played at Notre Dame this year. Supposedly a heck of a "character guy", thats one of our problems, too many character guys... Good move.

Huet trade... unbelievable bargain. Can't believe he was let go for a second round pick (of Anaheim, no less), almost a third rounder.

I wonder if the aquisition of Huet will result in Kolzig to a top flight cup contender...??? Is this Kolzig's Stanley Cup chance? They better hurry, three o'clock is coming!

Give GMGM high marks.

Posted by: Muddapucker | February 26, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how Olie will take the news he just became the backup. I hope he does go to a contender like Ottawa and gets another trip on a Cup run. I hope they can get Federov here by tonight.

Posted by: Lowell | February 26, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

This is beyond my wildest expectations! Our goaltending has now gone from a liability to a strength. Huet has been one of the top stoppers in the league for the past few years, based on save percentage. Now let's get him signed long-term; 33 is not that old for a goaltender.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

cooke to caps, Pettinger to nucks

Posted by: Helge | February 26, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@828
www.tsn.ca has a live feed that refreshes automatically - it's great!

Posted by: Roose | February 26, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, it's just like Christmas all over again. GREAT NEWS.

Posted by: Kip | February 26, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hard to get that excited over a 38 yo player. I hope we did not give up another of our 2nd rounders.

Posted by: Kournakova | February 26, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Great day for the CAPS! Now get rid of Olaf Kolzig who will be a locker room cancer. If GMGM can he should send Emminger to any team for anything or even a bag of pucks.

Posted by: dossier | February 26, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Sergei Federov has won 2 cups; you cannot discount that, especially on a young team.

Columbus has completely imploded; Foote is gone, Federov is gone...that noise is Rick Nash screaming "WTF?"

Posted by: Patrick | February 26, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Olie will play very well tonight in Minnesota -- he now has some competition for No. 1 and is being asked to prove something.

Fedorov is the ideal No 2. centerman for this team.

The price paid for each looks, at this stage, to be heavily favorable for us, especially if Huet can come in and come up big, and be resigned. Resigning Fedorov is less important with the return of Nyls, but would give us amazing depth at center, which is needed for a championship.

Coups all around for GMGM. Quite shrewd.

A memorable day in Caps history, I am excited to see Fedorov in a Caps jersey.

Posted by: Sem-antics | February 26, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I told everyone not to fake on GMGM. Love the deal. the pick was what we got form anaheim. Only snag is we need to sign Huet to a deal before the year is Over is a UFA. Will get top dollar cause hard to find a good goalie. This means the Jhonson is out. Olie will be back up next year cause he sells more season tickets than johnson even though brent is a better #2

Posted by: smartfan | February 26, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

If they can sign this group they have for next year we will come out of the east for sure. Need to sign huet and federov. Withy nylander clark coming back we have scoring everywhere and 2 solid goalies.

Posted by: smartfan | February 26, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

3 goalies. Chances are the two UFA's won't sign here next season because the Caps are going to rotate 3 goalies. And then Johnson will be mad because he will likely be the odd man out. I am not liking getting Huet without getting rid of one of the goalies.

Posted by: Elaine | February 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@dossier
Locker room cancer? Do you know Olie Kolzig? Don't even put him in the same sentence as a real cancer like Ray Emery. He has been nothing but class his whole career, and stayed here through 3 brutal years to be a part of this rebuild. That was the time he could have been a cancer and demanded a trade, but he didn't. Show some respect.

Posted by: Roose | February 26, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

i'm so tired of all the fair-weathered fans who are so anxious to kiss off Olie. he's done more for this franchise than anyone-- and frankly, he deserves more than this crowd has ever been willing to give him. he stuck around when no one gave us a chance-- and now you aren't willing to give one to him. shame on washington.

Posted by: sick of the naysayers | February 26, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Hossa to Penguins

Posted by: CapFan | February 26, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

god I hate the Pens! *sigh of jealousy*

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 26, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

by Goodbye Old Friend

--------------------

Concur.

Really good post, above.

Posted by: Maryland | February 26, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Caps get Giroux for Joe Motzko

Posted by: CapsFan | February 26, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@Roose,

I've been a CAPS fan from near the team's beginning (after watching the Flyers from 1968-77). The CAPS didn't pick up the "free" Bryzgalov due to Olie (or so called "team chemistry") which may have cost them the playoffs. Olie had his period of greatness in the late-1990s but his time passed years ago. This is no longer his team. Enough of Olie's foul mouth, stick breaking childish temper tantrums and 70ft 5-hole softies. If Kolzig can't handle being #2 or #3,, he should be waived. Olie's 15 minutes have long expired.

Posted by: dossier | February 26, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@dossier
Your points still dance around your earlier comment about Olie being a "locker room cancer." Your entitled to your opinion like the rest of us on his play, but to make a character statement like that without knowing him is pretty unfair. Not only has he been loyal to the organization for going on 20 years (not 15 minutes), but he has done a great deal for a great many in this community. I've been a STH for a long time and I've witnessed the collapses and the bad goals, but your talking about what type of person he is, not what type of goalie. And if you want to break his entire career down into simply looking at this year, then you need to adjust your sight because its' pretty short sighted.

Posted by: Roose | February 26, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I been an Olie supporter even since(1997)when we both got are mask done by Mike Myers out off Worcester. I'm very sad to hear this trade. Sorry Johnny but I hope you start looking for a new house soon!!!!

Posted by: Olie fan from beantown | February 26, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree Olie is very inconsistent...but I honestly believe he is better than Johnson. I think Olie will be gone though because at most he would have 1-2 seasons left and then we would need a new back up for Huet ( if he sign with us) In a few years, the Hershey prospects should be ready for the NHL. I love Olie...but I think he should retire with some dignity.

Posted by: capscoach | February 26, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's have some fun:

Ovie-Back-Kozlov
Semin-Federov-Flash
Laing-Steckel-Bradley
Brash-Gordo-Laich-Cooke (not sure)

Next year:
Ovie-Back-Kozlov
Semin-Nylander-Clark
Laing-Steckel-Bradley
Brash-Gordo-Laich-Cooke (not sure)

Or, if Federov stays next year(doubtful):
Ovie-Back-Kozlov
Semin-Nylander-Clark
Laich-Federov-Flash
Brash-Gordo-Cooke-Brash-Laing (not sure)

Posted by: Fun Times | February 26, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Are we going to be able to keep huet next season?

Posted by: capscoach | February 26, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

FunTimes, doesnt a healthy Fehr have a place on that roster?

Ovechkin Backstrom Kozlov
Semin Nylander Clark
Fehr Federov Flash (Federov's 2 Selke trophies look good here)
Cooke/Brash Laich Gordo Laing (might need a rules change..)

I'll bet a LOT of NHL GMs would swap seats with that bumbling, shortsighted GMGM right about now. He's got chips (the fab four; Alzner, Varlamov, Gordosteckelaich,etc.), cash (cap room), and a good spot in the upcoming draw. Pretty nice band-aid on ze goalie gap, too, n'est-ce pas?
PS to whoever was spouting about the Flyers "turning things around in a year": PPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTT. winless in ten, I guess they turned back?

Posted by: redlineblue | February 27, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Patrick| February 26, 2008 02:38 PM
"Sergei Federov has won 2 cups; you cannot discount that, especially on a young team"

Sergei Federov has won 3 cups