Good News/Bad News Kind of Day in Ashburn

The good news first: Gritty wingers Matt Pettinger and Matt Bradley returned to practice this morning.
Pettinger has missed both games with an "upper body" injury; Bradley's been out with an equally mysterious "lower body" injury.
More good news: Bradley said he feels close to being able to go, and hopes to lace 'em up for Thursday's game in St. Paul.
Now, the bad: Pettinger, a 20-goal scorer last season and one of the team's best penalty killers, said he was feeling better, but stopped short of saying he's close to returning. He took part in all of the skating drills, but clearly struggled to put any strength behind his shots.
"I'm still a little sore," said Pettinger, who was hurt during a collision in the final seconds of the preseason game against the Flyers on September 29. "I don't want to put a timetable on it. We'll see Wednesday. It's not something I want to rush this early in the season."
Center Boyd Gordon, who was injured late in the season opener in New York, also did not skate and is questionable for Thursday.
Defenseman Ben Clymer did not skate, either. But General Manager George McPhee said he was not overly concerned about Clymer's injury, saying only, "Today was a maintenance day for Ben." McPhee added that he expects Clymer to be ready to face the Wild.
First line center Dainius Zubrus, meantime, came off the ice early. He is still bothered by soreness in his surgically repaired knee, but said he will play against the Wild.
Seem like the bad news outweighed the good? Yeah, me too.
I'm most concerned about the injuries to Pettinger and Zubrus. Pettinger didn't sound like a man confident he would be back soon. Zubrus does not look like he's even close to be 100 percent, and it's not the type of injury that's going to get better by continuing to play.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 9, 2006; 2:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New lines, injuries
Next: Clymer at home on road vs. Wild

Comments

There were a lot of line juggling going on during the Cane's game. I'm curious if there were any new line combos being experimented with today at practice.

Posted by: usiel | October 9, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Zubie's knee is partly resonsible for his anemic 35% faceoff success rate too...

Posted by: Tyler Green | October 9, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, judging by his goal celebrations, Semin still doesn't look particularly enthused to be here. Maybe I'm jaded by Ovechkin's over-exuberant celebrations. In any event, Semin seems very subdued. Does he like being here?

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | October 9, 2006 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Zubrus looks fine in games, in the Canes game he was running around hitting everything that moved, he was forechecking right fierce, i dont know why you say he doesnt look 100% as the only part of his game that needs work is of course, in the faceoff dot, but thats not a byproduct of his knee ailment, thats just Dainius being Dainius.

Posted by: Donald | October 9, 2006 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I do think Semin is happy here, it just isn't in his personality to celebrate wildly. You should see how he interacts with his teammates at practice. He's always clowning around with them, tugging on guy's jerseys as they skate down the ice, flipping pucks at Olie when he's not looking.

Hopefully as he learns more English he'll become more comfortable.

Posted by: Tarik | October 9, 2006 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Here were the line combos:

8-9-17
28-24-18
38-22-20
10-16-87

26-2
47-44
6-52

Posted by: Tarik | October 9, 2006 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd really like to see that Semin - Beech - Pettinger line come about once Petty gets back from his injury.

Question is...where would that leave Zednik?

Posted by: strungout | October 10, 2006 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Zubrus also didn't take a single defensive zone faceoff. Carolina is a very good team on faceoffs, particularly when the refs let BrindAmour "cheat" by not squaring up, but I too wonder if this isn't a prodoct of Zubrus' knee condition. I don't remember whether Zubrus got tossed each time his line had a faceoff in the d-zone, but Clark was 0-4, which to me suggests that this is an area where some general improvement is warranted....Any thoughts on Gleason, by the way? I was glad to see Clark step up, and even more glad to see AO skating after what I thought was a real cheapshot.

Posted by: Fred | October 10, 2006 8:16 AM | Report abuse

No Caps coverage again in Wednesday's Post.I can understand on Monday, but no coverage two of three days?
Why is this team treated as the poor sister? Get the sports editor on the right track!

Posted by: paul | October 11, 2006 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Why does Hanlon insist on not giving the young players like Klepis and Green a few more minutes of ice time and oppurtunities where they can shine rather than scrub/garbage ice time at end of periods/games etc?

Posted by: Greg | October 11, 2006 10:18 AM | Report abuse

The idea with Green is to bring him along slowly. they don't want him to feel overwhelmed. not yet at least.

Posted by: Tarik | October 11, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse