Gordon Out, Sutherby In; Klepis Has Agreement With Bears

Sorry for the late post, but I was traveling and then had an online chat.

Boyd Gordon won't be in the lineup tonight and will probably miss tomorrow's game, too. Still not sure what the injury is, but I hope to find out tonight. Whatever it is, it's not considered serious, Coach Glen Hanlon said.

So David Steckel will replace Gordon on the third line between Matt Pettinger and Chris Clark. That also means Brian Sutherby will get his first action of the season on the fourth line with Donald Brashear and Brooks Laich.

Here's what Hanlon had to say about Sutherby:

"This year for Suts has been a tough time. Brian has shown more character in these first three games than he has at any point in his career. He loves to play, he's a big part of our group here and he hasn't been playing. And he hasn't caused any problems."

Update:Jakub Klepis signed a 25-game tryout agreement with the Bears today. His RFA status hasn't changed.

Update:Okay, I've got more on Gordon. He's suffering from back spasms. He's definitely out tonight and questionable for tomorrow.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 12, 2007; 1:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Morning Update
Next: Lineup Changes Coming

Comments

I feel for Suts. I hope things work out well for him.

Posted by: MinorTthreat | October 12, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any word on any possible trade that GMGM might be pursuing with the glut of players around? I'll check the chat now to see if I missed anything.

Posted by: Bret | October 12, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't watch Caps games in northern Virginia??? Cox doesn't carry CSN+ where the Caps game will be on Saturday night.

Posted by: Scott | October 12, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

that's a big 4th line.

Posted by: on ice | October 12, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Going to MSG for tonight's game; shame that Gordon is out, but I'm sure that Sutherby is going to be playing as hard as he can when he does get to the ice, and that ought to be good to watch (but not as good as a thorough thrashing of the Blueshirts).

Hopefully Steckel can still do his part on the shutdown line.

Semin still slated to be back in next week?

Posted by: Kurt | October 12, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I do feel for Suts, but I say he's given an opportunity to play he might as well go nuts with it. Give coach a dillemma and play your tail off and have him scratch someone else.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 12, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

As long as he and Semin are healthy for Pitt !! Sudsy will play well but we will miss gordon on the PK.

Posted by: cs | October 12, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik
You were right in your chat about how the caps now have DEPTH. Just because someone doesn't make the game roster doesn't mean you should automatically look to trade him. If SUTS has a great attitude KEEP HIM! It seems to me that you look to trade him in this situation when he starts ASKING TO BE TRADED....

Posted by: dave | October 12, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Dave,

I couldn't agree with you more regarding depth and the need to have it. I do, however, find it remarkable that one of the Caps supposed alternate captains has been a healthy scratch for the first 3 games of the season. It would be one thing if he was injured, but all of the reports I've seen describe him as the 5th center, odd man out, etc. Why give someone the honor of wearing the 'A' if they're not going to be on the ice.

/should be interesting to see if he's wearing it tonight.

Posted by: Yosh | October 12, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

It seems more likely that Laich would be on the second line with Nylander and Backstrom.. and Bradley would be on the fourth line with Brashear and Sutherby.

But they seem to switch from period to period so it's hard to keep track.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 12, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

BTW Tarik, yo uneed to bop the people who do the Post web page over the head. Your blog doesn't show up in the Blog Roll pop up thing on the front page. Every other blog is there.

I guess that's good news for Hershey and Klepis. Hopefully he can stick there and work on his game.

Posted by: EricS | October 12, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what channel CSN+ is in the woodbridge area? I checked the site and it was 25 but that is cspan2....any help would be appreciated.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Phibar | October 12, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Gordon is out...Goodbye 100% pk

Posted by: jon | October 12, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Sutherby should (and I believe will) play his tail off and give Red a reason to bump someone else.

Like Yosh, I too will be looking for that 'A'. I doubt that its still there.

Posted by: Mike13 | October 12, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

It should rollover from CSPAN2 at game time. That's what happens here in Charles County MD for MASN2/CSPAN2.

Posted by: E | October 12, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Jon chill about Gordon on the PK. The Caps have a good stable of hard-working penalty-killers who can keep the puck out of the zone and shots to the outside once a team gains possession. The Caps are on a roll and as Tarik noted on the discussion, they finally have depth. Pulling in Suds and not some AHL scrub is a good dilemma. Getting back Semin is more important for the PP, IMO.

Posted by: Jim | October 12, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Jon chill about Gordon on the PK. The Caps have a good stable of hard-working penalty-killers"

I hope you are right.
I must confess I'm a little nervous about Gordo being out too.

Posted by: pmoravek | October 12, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@E Thanks

The Faceoff win percentage should look similar with Steckel moved up I imagine.

Posted by: phibar | October 12, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

What a bad first period. Horrid no call on the Golie interference on that second goal. But, all in all, doesn't look like the Caps want this one, playing sloppy, six penalties in one period... they need to pick it up in the remaining two periods or just go home now... I thought WE were the 3-0 team, not the Rangers...

Posted by: stuffedinvader | October 12, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

First, I wish they would put Brash on the ice and let him LEVEL Jagr!

Second, the Caps are playing immature hockey, similar to what we all endured following the lockout.

Third, OV seems to be the only one wanting to make an impression tonight. Kozlov is picking up the physical game too. Nylander is dangling around and losing the puck a lot.

Fourth, Flash needs to leave and fast! He's not an NHL player and I don't care what he did in the preseason...it's the preseason. If he does stay in Washington he certainly doesn't deserve to be a 1st liner.

Fifth, Hanlon has finally gotten smart and paired Clark, OV and Kozlov together. Give that line a few more games and they will beat up on everyone.

Sixth, I think Sutherby has earned his stripes to stay in the lineup for a while. He's made the most of the ice time he's received tonight. However, it hasn't been much since the boys can't seem to stay out of the penalty box. Makes me wonder what the time keeper in the Caps penalty box is serving them to drink that makes them want to keep going back!

Seventh, who the hell am I to criticize the Caps. We knew they weren't going to go 82-0 this year, but we also didn't think we'd see such a lackluster performance from this team. Let's pray for a miracle in the final 9 minutes and also pray that Johnny is certainly on the spot tomorrow night in Buffalo.

Posted by: Mitch | October 12, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

First,I wish they would putBrash on the ice and let him LEVEL Jagr.

Second, the Caps arer playing immature hockey.

Third, hmmm.

Posted by: Sally Forth | October 12, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

6 penalties? I mean come on. It also looked like the refs put the whistles away for a stretch in the second when the Rangers were actually doing some hooking and holding. I was yelling at my screen a bit for the lack of interference calls.

Then they call exactly the type of penalty I've been wanting all game in the last 30 seconds of the game.

All in all, I think we lost this one by demoralizing ourselves first period. We played frustrated for the last two periods - almost like we didn't think we had a chance.

And to the Kolzig doubters, he's got an obscene .958 save percentage through 3 games, and he really carried us through this game like he did against the Isles. Let's hope Johnny puts up a good showing in Buffalo (I can't see Kolzig starting back to back nights on the road).

Posted by: Raber | October 13, 2007 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Positives - Olie and Ovie played well.

Negatives
- PK was horrible.
- PP was terrible.
- Checking was almost non-existent (Would somebody please put Jagr on his fat a$$? We all know he gets frustrated and pouts when someone gets physical with him. It might have kept him from getting 3 assists.)
- Shots were not taken. The team is regressing. Too much playing around with the puck waiting for a perfect set-up and then getting it taken away, instead of firing away when the chance came up.
- Penalties -- too many taken.
- Skating was poor, particularly on the PP where there was too much standing around with the puck.
- Coaching was...who knows? Does Hanlon try to light a fire under the team during the intermissions? If so, it sure didn't seem to translate into action last night.

I'm noping that the team can review tapes of the last two games and compare them to the first two. It's like two different teams entirely. If they got so pumped up with three victories and figured they'd ride a gravy train into the post season, someone needs to inject them with a dose of reality. Unfortunately, part of that came at the hands of Jaromira, who once soiled a Caps uniform. Let's just hope the Caps wake up and get on track before they meet Cindy Crosbytch and the Pens. The team has a lot of work to do.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 13, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Last nights game looked like the Caps of the
'74-'75 season. In addition the refs looked like something from a peewee league. 2 apparent missed offsides calls, including the one just before Alex scored & a missed golie interference call. One thing for sure, it will be very easy to replace 2 Caps, as soon as they have somebody ready to do so----#2 & #43. That is not to say that anyone else besides Alex & Olie had good games. At least it didn't end up 8-1 as it could have. A long, long way to go to reach the playoffs.

Posted by: sidehillman | October 13, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Well, there goes the 82-0 season. I hope we get the first pick in the draft...

Actually, what made me a little happy, was the fact that although they did not play well, and it was eerily similar to the game monday (Could be a New your thing) they still didn't fall appart. In the past 2 years, getting down like they did in the first period would have spelled a LONG night. a 7-1 loss or something. But they hung in. I think tonight will have much more energy.

back to the sadness: can we still win the cup with one loss? what happens if we lose 2? Oh, why did we trade Zubie......

Posted by: Lee | October 13, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

re 74/75, sidehillman. I was there - the comparison is beyond absurd

Posted by: Marson | October 13, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

All they proved last night is that Boyd Gordon is the team MVP so far.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 13, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Oneal
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but I think it shows that Gordo is a vital cog in the machine.
He wins draws.
He is awesome on the PK.
He allows other players to take chances.

I hope this thing with his back does not become something that plagues him throughout the season. Back injuries seem to have away of sticking around like that.

Posted by: pmoravek | October 13, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I think tonight's game will be a big test of the confidence of this team. It's the end of the road trip, coming off of two really bad games (one of which they still managed to win) and about to start a nice homestand - how will the team respond? Last year I think they would have come out flat and gotten creamed, but hopefully tonight we'll see an energetic team playing with a little bit of urgency.

Posted by: zamboni | October 13, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

thanks tarik, that article on jagr wasnt a jinx and a buzzkill or anything

Posted by: sheesh | October 13, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse