Green, Boudreau react to suspension

When Mike Green limped off the ice after a light skate this morning, he did not look like he could play 24 hours from now.

As it turns out, the NHL took the decision out of his hands.

Green was suspended this morning for three games without pay for his elbow to the head of Michael Frolik on Friday night. The NHL's leading scorer among defenseman will forfeit $81,606.21.

Green referred all questions about the league's decision to Coach Bruce Boudreau. But the defenseman said he didn't think he deserved a penalty.

"No, I didn't at all," Green said. "I've thrown that body check where you kind of come across - I didn't come across too aggressive. I'll let Bruce talk about the rest."

Green got a two minute minor penalty for the infraction; Frolik was shaken up but finished the game.

"I don't know how to react anymore," he said. "Obviously I'm very upset about it. But what can you do? It's like fighting a ticket [when] you know you're not doing something wrong, from the police. You can't argue with them. I better not say nothing. I'm just livid about whole thing anyway."

Asked again, Boudreau shot back: "I'm using 'livid' right now, and I'm not going any further with it. Don't try to put something in my mouth where I end up saying something stupid. So let's talk about something else, okay."

When Boudreau was told that Green referred all questions to him, the coach chuckled and said: "Is he going to lend me the money?" Boudreau was referring to the possibility of being fined for being critical of the league.

Forward Brooks Laich, the team's NHLPA rep, had a different take.

"Obviously we don't want to lose Greenie," he said. "I don't know if he was going play anyway after that knee on knee collision. But at some point you have to take control of the game and protect the players. You see what happened in junior hockey [the Patrice Cormier incident]. At some point you have to make a statement where there's not a gray area. You can't hit to the head. It's black or white. You hit to the head you're going to get suspended."

Veteran Mike Knuble added: "I didn't see the replay. I was on the ice. But out of the corner of my eye it looked like an elbow. The guy wasn't hurt, right? He finished the game. He got him in the head. [The league] is trying to send a message, especially in the wake of that Quebec league thing. It's protecting the players. I'm sorry it happened to Mike. But guys know, an elbow to someone's head is going to cost you one way or another."

With Green out, Boudreau said he'll turn to seldom-used D-man Tyler Sloan for tomorrow's game against the Lightning.

"We'll go with Tyler tomorrow and then make a decision after the game on what we're doing," Boudreau said.

As for Green, he might not have been able to play for a few days anyway. He skated lightly on his own, but the knee contusion he suffered late in the second period limited him significantly.

"Just get better here," he said. "Lot of bumps and bruises anyway. Just take care of my body here and make sure I'm ready for when I come back."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 30, 2010; 1:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green suspended three games
Next: Theodore to start; Bradley's status unclear

Comments

Boudreau is right. He should have mentioned the Mike Richards incident but of course the league would fine him for that because he's not the flyers, pens, maple leafs or rangers coach.

Posted by: O-V-P | January 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Is there any consistency in this league? What Green did was identical to what Gonchar did in Minnesota. Gonchar did not receive a fine or penalty and the player he hit suffered post-concussion syndrome symptoms. The only way to possibly rationalize the two decisions is: Gonchar plays for Pittsburgh and Green does not.

Posted by: Matt23185 | January 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

All it takes is a Darren Dreger or a Ron MacLean or a Bob McKenzie to scream about things like this on TV and the league will come down hard on any player.

Last night someone even made a point of saying that 2 games is a slap on the wrist, so the league made it 3 for Green.

So sick of the inconsistency.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | January 30, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Conspiracy theories abound.

NHL seems to want to take the Caps down a peg. Maybe this has more to do with taking a marquee guy on a wildly popular, yet non-traditional team and showing the world they are tough? Maybe, they want to toughen up Green a bit for the next Olympics when they pass him over again (and don't score more than 2 goals a game). Or, maybe elbows count more than boarding heads.

Posted by: terlin1 | January 30, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I love hockey, but I'm beginning to really hate the NHL.

Posted by: privacy3 | January 30, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Campbell and Murphy Blows

Posted by: RITdude | January 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The NHL hates Mike Green, Ovechkin and the rest of the Caps. Remember all of the "penalties" the Caps were called for last playoffs? It's a total joke. Anybody who doesn't see it is completely blind.

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Though this might not be a very popular statement with some of you, I don't have too much of a problem with the suspension itself. I question some of the inconsistency evident throughout the year, but singling out Green's hit, I can understand the suspension. Now, what I am confident of as I was when Ovie was slapped, is that this team has enough fortitude and talent to rise above it. The boys will be able to persevere and end up holding their heads up for handling whatever the league doles out on them - character! They will be stronger and more confident in the end.

Posted by: gonchpup | January 30, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"At some point you have to make a statement where there's not a gray area. You can't hit to the head. It's black or white. You hit to the head you're going to get suspended."

I think this is a reasonable policy. BUT what about:

* Gonchar's headhunting hit on Clutterbuck
* Koci smashing Green's head into the glass from behind
* Richards dirty, dirty hit a couple months back (and Richards is a repeat offender)

All three of those were MUCH worse than Green's elbow. I think this suspension is all about Murphy wanting to show he's a tough disciplinarian.

Posted by: butcherbaker | January 30, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup is exactly right. This suspension was warranted and in truth, Green and the Caps are lucky it's not for longer in the wake of the Cormier incident. Notice that Knuble, who has been around, basically says the same thing. The hit was cheap and Greenie has to pay the price. No big deal. Let's not make a federal case out it.

I feel quite certain in saying that if the Richards hit occurred tomorrow instead of last fall, he'd be receiving the same (or more) punishment.

The rules have changed (finally) about these kinds of hits.

Posted by: DaleDUI | January 30, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@gonchpup -- Very well said. Caps will learn and grow and use it. More bright days ahead.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I say it again: Us Against the World. The only solution to this is to raise the cup in June.

Posted by: eyechip | January 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt23185 | January 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

-------------------

The in-game penalty on Gonchar was a fiver, too. So the refs clearly thought it was a worse offense than Green's hit which only earned a 2.

Posted by: butcherbaker | January 30, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@eyechip,

that is tough to do when you have officiating bias for certain teams. How is it possible for a team to get 7 consecutive PPs in a playoff game (game 3 pens/caps) and for a team to get 0 PPs (game 7 pens/caps)

I'll let you take a guess as to which team got 7 PPs and which team got 0 PPs. Also, Hal "clutch, grab, hook, interfere" Gill suddenly became the least penalized player in the player in the league once he joined the pens

Posted by: O-V-P | January 30, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Three game suspension - that means he is not playing against Tampa, the Bruins and the Rangers, hmmm ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 30, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I predict that the NHL players will be wearing a helmet similar to the ones worn by the NFL players in the near future.

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think some of the people saw the same hit that I did -- Green deserved the penalty, but his back was turned too much, and he leaned into the check with his body more than his elbow.

By any reasonable standard, this is a poor and unwarranted decision by the NHL. It reflects inconsistency (Richards hit on Booth, Koci hit are great examples), and completely justifies the contempt many of us have for the NHL obviously poorly executived disciplinary system. I suspect Ted and GMGM have given an earful to Bettman, and will and should find a way to extract some revenge at some point (when DOES Bettman's and Campbell's contracts come up again). It is reasonble to conclude that there is bias at work here, either against Green or the Caps.

No doubt, they will use this as a motivator to send a message of their own to the league. Also, since the league clearly picks on the Capitals, we should expect other teams to try to goad the Capitals into retaliatory penalties, especially the untalented goons from Tampon Bay on Sunday.

Tarik can do us all a favor with some good journalism on the NHL's disciplinary system. It makes no sense. Let's see what you got, Tarik.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | January 30, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

make them wear football helmets and every time a player removes a helmet to fight, give him an extra minor...

that would effectively remove all the nonsense from the game, make them focus and just play hockey

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll suggest another theory. Does anyone perhaps think that the NHL was only going to suspend Green for a game, but because he got hurt, they made it three? It seems to me that the league took some flack with Ovi's two game suspension for the knee-on-knee hit with Gleason because many thought he may have missed those games anyway with the injury.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 30, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

This may sound like a stupid question (never stopped me before mind you...), but if Green was injured to the point where he was going to miss some games, would the suspension start at the same time or when he came off of the injured list?
Like I said, it may be a stupid question...
I just ask for tolerance...

Posted by: TimDz | January 30, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

That might not surprise me. (An extra game suspension for Green since he was injured.)

I think the league was listening to the "talking Canadian heads" like Ray Ferraro and company when they were making their decision.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 30, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x:

Maybe, but why should the NHL (Murphy)have more information about the injury than we have ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 30, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@TimDz

The suspension for Green starts beginning with the next game, regardless of his actual physical condition. I had the same question when the incident to Ovi occurred.

It would be hard to enforce starting suspensions when a guy was ready to return from an injury. Since a team could report that a guy was "ready" to come back before he really was.

I heard of a case where a guy got into a fight, was suspended for a while. In reality, he was in the hospital fighting for his life while on "suspension".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 30, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Here's the Gonchar hit.

It's amazing he didn't get fined or any suspension.

Posted by: natresgroup | January 30, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Green gets 3 for the elbow (I'm fine with) and this boarding call on Koci on Green gets ZERO.

A continual lack of consistency with the leagues discipline measures.

Posted by: puckman | January 30, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think this suspension is appropriate. Hits to the head should be out of bounds. Period.

I just want to see consistency. I want to see everybody else who gives an unintentional elbow to the head suspended also.

Posted by: Kirg | January 30, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x:

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 30, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he does. It was probably a guess on his part.

As others have said, maybe the penalty was harsher in light of the recent Cormier incident.

Or, if Ray Ferraro and company didn't sound off on the hit on tv, maybe he only gets a game.

In any event, whatever the reason was (and none of the reasons I've mentioned are good ones), it is far from a fair and just system, and something needs to be done about that.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 30, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I know this wasn't their intention but the NHL is doing the Caps a favor - Greenie would have tried to come back in a game or two before he was 100 percent healthy

for the remainder of the regular season, the star players on this team shouldn't be playing unless they're completely healthy.

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I've been going over YouTube video of various hits and comparing them against the NHL rules. Based on the rules, the decision is defensible. Under Rule 46, an elbow to the head causing injury gets a major+game misconduct, an automatic fine ($100) and possible suspension. The problem is that Rule 29 provides NO CRITERIA for whether or how long to suspend. It is totally discretionary. So, all we have is precedents to go by. The Canadian media will, of course, not mention the Richards non-suspension. The only difference I could see in that hit was that Green used his elbow and Richards used his shoulder. This seems to be of great importance in NHL-speak, but why the projectile body part should be more important than the target body part makes no sense. The Koci hit was a different type, but no less vicious, so the inconsistency in suspensions is obvious.

The Caps management has been leading the charge on banning head shots. So the league seems to be taking this opportunity to make a statement on head shots. If this serves as the precedent for the future, then I am 100% onboard. I have to admit, though, I am much less certain than DaleDUI that the NHL would apply this precedent to Richards in the future, or to teams other than the Caps.

Posted by: zmega | January 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

Alright, rules are made to have consistency ...

... however, as always, who controls the controler ?

Is there a solution for this problem?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Well by the sound of it he wasn't going to play tomorrow anyway. So he misses that game and then gets 4 more days to heal up. Not the end of the world.

Hope Sloan plays well.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | January 30, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Murphy must have been watching TSN last night:

Posted by: Hatfield223 | January 30, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I would chip in the following: If Green's 3 game suspension hit was earned, how can the Clutterbuck/ Gonchar hit be overlooked? It happened THREE WEEKS ago. Gonchar got a 5 min penalty and Green a 2 minute. Green turned his back as if he was trying to avoid the elbow hit (maybe) and Gonchar had no such intention. He delivered his full on. I don't think we should argue Green's suspension. Intent should not influence the rule. However, you can't suspend Green and overlook Gonchar for an unarguably worse offense. The Koci and Richards hits were different and we need not go past Gonchar to see the inequity/bias/stupidity of the NHL brass. We need to answer the NHL by playing the high road by unmercifully beating the next three teams (and I mean the score and quality of play, not the fistacuffs variety)

Posted by: AADCDERM | January 30, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Inconsistency galore from the NHL. This is getting ridiculous. If I remember correctly, the reasoning on not suspending Kunitz (on the play that led to Crosby's hat trick goal)last year was that Varly wasn't injured. What is so different with Green's hit. Again, I'm not so much arguing Green's suspension as much as the NHL selectively turning a blind eye to the actions of certain Stanely Cup winning teams. The fact that neither Gonchar or Kunitz got even a game suspension is absurd.

Posted by: Shanen | January 30, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm ok with the suspension -you cant elbow someone in the head, however, the nhl is way to inconsistent with its discipline. Some times you get suspended, sometimes you dont. Thats the part that needs to be fixed. Green might need 3 games to rest his knee anyways.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I second Exile-in-Philly's call for some reporting on the NHL disciplinary system. How does the league justify the differing results of the various hits mentioned here? Do their justifications make any sense?

Posted by: zmega | January 30, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side, Ovi is going to be angry tomorrow and Tampa Bay is going to get a thrashing (of the goal scoring type).

Posted by: butcherbaker | January 30, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Okay, he definitely deserves the suspension. It was a bad, intentional hit. It was not innocent as Greenie claimed it was. He was pissed off at Stillman's hit and tried to get payback by elbowing Frolik.

The problem is not with Greenie getting suspended, it's with the inconsistency. I'm already over Greenie's suspension, this isn't gonna kill us. He probably couldn't play anyway tomorrow.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably way off here but here's what I think Green's thinking was: F it, if the league won't protect me then I'll protect myself. I seem to remember Green getting kabonged a few times recently with no repercussions from the league. Unfortunately if he does something like this again the suspension will be even longer. Hit 'em hard but hit 'em clean.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

capsfansince74: Exactly. I think everyone is on the same page now. We all agree Greenie deserves the suspension. It's the inconsistency and unfairness that's maddening.

Shanen: Don't even get me started on that one!! That was just a complete cheap shot, nothing else to it. That couldn't be anymore intentional by Kunitz. Kunitz claimed he was innocent and was going for the puck. Total crap. How he didn't get suspended, I'll never know.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Green got a longer suspension because it was seen as retaliatory for the hit he took earlier in the game... that would be my guess.

if there's one thing every sport league frowns upon, it's retaliation... they hardly ever punish the guy who starts it, it's always the guy who retaliates.

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

If you want me to defend the NHL's overall consistency - there's no way I can do that.

And granted, I haven't seen a close-up of the Green hit but:

It looks like a elbow straight to the face.

Intentional or not, can't condone what Green did.

The NHL probably gave him 3 games knowing he was questionable for one or two of them cuz of his contusion.

Overall, we move on......

Posted by: CF11555 | January 30, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

joek443:I agree with your retaliatory statement. However, the Gonchar hit to Clutterbuck was also retaliatory from an earlier clean hit given him by Clutterbuck that same game. This is a direct "apples to apples" comparison with totally different outcomes. Green suspended, Gonchar not. Green a Capital, Gonchar a Penguin??????????

Posted by: AADCDERM | January 30, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The only thing questionable is where the Mike Murphy/Collin Campbell relationship might have added to the suspension time. Green was at fault, but the 3-game seems a bit long.

Posted by: hock1 | January 30, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who's the more incompetent, the NHL disciplinary czars or the weather people... this looks more than 1 to 3 inches to me

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

The way the NHL "disciplines" the players is such a complete joke. How do they hope to be taken seriously, when it is so obvious that they levy suspensions only to certain teams? I'm not a person who typically looks for conspiracies, but this anti-Caps trend is really getting old.

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | January 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, when Green was hit, it does appear to be knee-to-knee. Frame by frame replay make it appear a lot more than a "charley-horse". That looks to be a hyper-extension. And that would be about 10 days or so to heal.

Posted by: scmonty1 | January 30, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So, just about everyone agrees, which is incredible; Green deserves a suspension and league discipline is inconsistent. Settled.

Interesting that Sloan's in tomorrow. I guess Karl and John had their turns, now it's Tyler's (though he's not in their shoes at all). Let's hope Sloan steps it up considerably to prove himself, just as Carlson and Alzner have done in their most recent call-ups.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is what happens when you're rockin' the red instead of wearing black, white and gold in this league.

Posted by: stwasm | January 30, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@scmonty1:

It's definitely not a "charley-horse". In the picture shown on the Captilas-page of the washington post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/capitals/index.html)
Green holds his knee after the hit ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 30, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

My 2-cents worth...watching Slo-mo replay of Green's hit, it seems to be unintentional TO THE HEAD. Yes, Green got ready to deliver a hit, and it ended up head high as Green was skating almost straight up while Frolik was in the knees bent skating forward position. . . .

Posted by: scmonty1 | January 30, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@scmonty1. Take a look at this angle at 00:40 and replay that a few times:

Mikey went after him rather intentionally.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

NHL = inconsistent, check.
Green's elbow hit: suspendable, check.
Green's knee needs rest anyway, check.

Let's move on.

Next three games: Tampa Bay, Boston, NY Rangers. Caps will miss Green for sure, but these are not insurmountable teams to be playing.

I hope Ovie steps up as captain and fires up the troops.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 30, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Ok, let's move on ... however, in almost all sports are problems with biased officiating and ruling ...

I just hope Green has not the same "symptom" Varly or Ovie had with their knees ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 30, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

It's just as well that Green isn't playing against the thugs from Tampa Bay.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

saw our old buddy Chris Simon in the KHL allstar game this morning... he delivered the only check of the game.

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

But why is the league against the Caps so blatantly? What happened to make this happen? How many games was Sydney Crosby suspended a few seasons ago for jumping a guy at the face off dot before the puck dropped? This sends a message to the rest of the league that the Caps can't touch anyone without getting fined or suspended, but players from other teams can take runs at the Caps whenever they want.
It seems the league has put a target on our backs. Why? I don't get it! They want to have the Caps fail? They most prolific and exciting team in decades? The team that epitomizes the run and gun style that was designed post lockout?!

What am I missing here?
And don't give me that crap about the incident in Quebec. The league has been very outspoken abot cutting down on cheap shots and headshots since last year and even more so this season. Yet, Richards and Koci and Gonchar get nothing and they hurt the players the hit.

Is there any other explanation other than the NHL doesn't want the Caps to succeed?

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 30, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

This sentence is all you need to know about what the powers that rule the NHL has always done to the Caps.

"Boudreau, who was involved in the telephone hearing, did not agree with Mike Murphy's decision. (Murphy made the ruling because Colin Campbell's son, Gregory, plays for the Panthers.)"

Remember they will always treat the Caps unfairly. They always have and they always will.

NEVER expect JUSTICE from the NHL for old DC

Posted by: CBinDC | January 30, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Whine a little more, Caps fans. Ovechkin has got away with murder over his career. Richards, Koci and Gonchar are squeaky clean compared to the Ovechkin cheapshot machine.

But ooh, Ovie got a 2-game suspension earlier this season. For anyone else, it would have been 10+ as a third- or fourth-time offender.

Posted by: micron26 | January 30, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

The league doesn't want the Caps to succeed because the majority owner is a Greek.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

ignore trolls

The Habs came back to tie it up late in the game, but Ottawa got the OT winner.

Caps have got to win No. 10 to keep the streak alive. Looking forward to avenging that last loss.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I believe micron26 may refer to their mental capacity.

Posted by: AADCDERM | January 30, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

The Sens are definitely climbing in the standings; just one point behind the Pens now. Incredible what a 9 win streak will do for you.

Hey, we're doing that too.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

micron26...wow...you do realize that you are a pathetic worm ofa human being. Go whine about OV somwhere else. you refer to us "whiners" as caps fans which indictes that you are not...so get off the caps blog...or do you have nothing better to do than b**ch on other peopl's fan blogs. You know u wish OV was on whatever team you spend yout time supporting because you lack a 5 year olds social skills.

Posted by: capscoach | January 30, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Any fan who "really" thinks the NHL has an agenda against the Caps is paranoid. Calls go for and against teams on any given night as do these suspension hearings. In the end, the Caps will prevail so why get so worked up over it. PARANOIA, I say!

Posted by: gonchpup | January 30, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Even paranoids have enemies.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about that little outburst caps fans...just sorta came out.

Posted by: capscoach | January 30, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

please ignore trolls

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

BTW, where is that sarcasm symbol?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is not a dirty player, period. He's very aggressive and definitely needs to pick his spots better. He has, ever since the hit vs. Carolina. You watch Ovechkin, you know he is never out there to intentionally hurt someone.

He has NEVER done anything remotely close to what Mike Richards did to David Booth.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm with gonchpup. There is inconsistency and unfairness, but conspiracy? Don't think so.

This year's Caps are one of the best things to happen to the league.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

micron26 is an idiot!!!! Even more so than SovietSnipes!!

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Micron, a millionth of a meter.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Sonyask ;)

The guy is probably a Pens fan, so him talking about us whining is pretty funny.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The next few games will be interesting to see how the Caps do without Green.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I am going to go another way...

This team is on serious roll. Scoring at will, playing relatively good defense and the goaltender work has been exceptional.

All things of these things usually make a team relax at some point and think they may be better than actually are...

Something like this, where a marque player is suspended and the team and coach feel everyone is against them, is something the coaches can use as a serious rallying cry for the rest of this team throughout the rest of the season and playoffs.

The league is keeping this team down, and wants its marque teams such as Pittsburgh, New Jersey and the rest of league to keep within striking distance of the LETHAL CAPS!!!

Posted by: dglelite | January 30, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The players don't care about the ten game win streak. What they care about is maintaining their current level of play both individually and as a team. It's going to be disruptive to have Green out and interesting to see how they adapt.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Pothier and Poti will donate some offensive thrust in Green's absence. Not as much, perhaps, but adequately. Hey, even ol' Schultzy and Erskine have succeded recently!

Posted by: gonchpup | January 30, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

dglelite - Paranoid...

Posted by: gonchpup | January 30, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup,

Yes but those odd man rushes the other night scared me. Playing a more competent team the Caps might have been down a couple in the 1st period.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 30, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

IMHO Knuble has interpreted the situation correctly with regards to Greenies' suspension. The league is trying to send a message to protect the players.

Unfortunately for Green, it's all about timing. Had the Gonchar head hit on Clutterbuck happened after the recent Patrice Cormier incident (which was AWFUL; clearest example of WHY head hits with elbows are unacceptable--the convulsions of the downed player was stomach wrenching) the NHL would have made an example of Gonchar as well. And the league may well have gotten a lot a flack over that poor decision--the reasoning to not suspend Gonchar was quite convoluted.

Greenie did wrong, he'll do his time, and come back strong. More importantly he will be back in time for our date with the Pens.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 30, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Mike Richards didn't even get called for a penalty for his hit on Booth. For anyone who's watched hockey for more than the last 3-4 years--which rules out all current Caps fans/bandwagon jumpers--those types of hits are well-known to be part of the game. Contrast that to Ovie's knee shots. Pathetic newbies.

Posted by: micron26 | January 30, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

@gonchpup

Not to mention Shaone Morrisonn who also scored lately.

Maybe tomorrow we can have a goal scored by ------- (drum roll please) Tyler Sloan.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 30, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

micron26- justify David Koci's hit on Mike Green please

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Just because one is paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you and it doesn't mean that the league's handing out of punishments suggests a Favortism towards certain teams.

I wonder how Colin Campbell can justify his no fine no suspension of Gonchar in light of Green suspension. You think he will admit he was wrong than that Gonchar should have received at least the same punishment and that he, Campbell, made a serious mistake.

Posted by: rbluesw | January 30, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

micron: You're probably a pathetic newbie yourself. What a moron, going on other team's blog to try to stir up something. Try spending your time better. LOSER Pens fan.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"@dccitizen1

It's just as well that Green isn't playing against the thugs from Tampa Bay.

Posted by: CapsFan75 "

Good point, CapsFan75.

In continue to believe that Colin Campbell, even though he "recused" himself from this decision, should not be in the position he's in. He has a son in the league, and ultimately any decision he makes (or his subordinate makes) will have an impact. However, he's only part of the NHL problem.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 30, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

micron26

The hit on Booth was RIDICULOUSLY dangerous...and not part of the game of hockey. Go back to Pitt and suck on one of Crosby's pacifiers!

Posted by: capscoach | January 30, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Green's suspension can be used as a good rallying cry too. Particularly as it comes just before the game with Tampa with the whole Ovi/Downie/Bradley affair.

Given how responsibly and consistently the guys have been playing I think they will adjust to Green's absence and indeed this is a good test for them as well--how to adjust to different player combinations, especially on the special teams. And if they come out with an us vs them chip on their shoulder, so much the better for motivation.

I'm looking forward to this game--I feel so confident in their ability to remain true to the system and kick it up a notch as needed, especially in the third period.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 30, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

LOL I thought the panel meant the NHL panel.. it's TSN, who gives a rats a$$ what they think
Posted by: joek443 | January 29, 2010
-------

TSN usually is fairly accurate in predicting what the NHL will do, as evidenced by Green's suspension.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | January 30, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Ignore the troll. Feed him and he'll keep coming back for more.

Paranoia is fine--as a motivational tool. May it be used to fuel the "us-against-them" attitude.

The league NEVER admits to being wrong. They just correct their mistakes on the next incident which in this case came after a particularly brutal incident with Cormice.

Only get paranoid if the next "ELBOW to HEAD" incident is not handled with a suspension.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 30, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of being redundant to a comment I made earlier on Tarik's original post regarding the suspension, don't believe for a NY minute that there will ever be any consistency in these cases. The disciplinary system was set up by labor lawyers who represent management (which is what Bettman was--he came from David Stern's law firm--before he became commissioner). The system is designed to provide the league management with virtually unfettered discretion on disciplinary matters, with no required explanation or reference to precedent. They do what they do because they can; they don't care what we think. They don't have to be consistent. Unless and until the system itself is changed, we're gonna get what we get.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | January 30, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: micron26

Part of the game? When they can give people concussions? That was a friggin headshot. He knew Booth wasn't looking and led with the shoulder and knocked him out cold. You think that's okay?

Posted by: rachel216 | January 30, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Uh, micron, I mean d-b, Richards got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for the hit. At least get your basic facts straight before coming here, moron.

Posted by: zmega | January 30, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

if the NHL really cares about the concussion issue, they should either make them wear a football-style helmet or penalize any and all hits to the head area whether it's hit with a shoulder or an elbow. Then there wouldn't be any gray area to mull over.

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

I think the Caps will have some extra motivation to beat Tampa anyhow. This is the team of goons that took runs at our players AFTER they had the game already won. The team coached by a convicted felon.

Go Caps. Clean the clocks of the Bolts.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 30, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

In Hershey Bears news, once again the Bears are cleaning the clocks of their opponent. They are up 5-0 about midway through Period 2. Jason Bacashihua is in goal (a rarity these days.)

I had gone to the John Walton site to check out Bears news and when I saw the headline that said "Remember Jason as GC", I briefly wondered if it was about Bacashihua but realized that it was about the Bears fan with cerebral palsy who had his specially equipped van stolen whose first name is also Jason. They're having a drive (in Hershey and the At Frozen Blog site to raise money to replace it.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 30, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

How low do you have to be to steal somebody's handicapped van?

Posted by: zmega | January 30, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Agreed. Our guys have lots to motivate them for this game, starting with our last loss was to them, that they got a goon (even if skilled) to wrangle with our captain only to face our BradleyFightingVehicle (love that moniker), and then send out goons at the end of the game to just mess with us. Tack on Greenie's situation from yesterday and the fact that it would be our tenth and record-tying win, so yeah--loads of motivation.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. I look at that game with Tampa as a particularly significant moment--a jelling of the team's unity behind their Captain. Should be a good game.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 30, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I have some difficulty with the comments of HHLPA rep Brooks Laich. I can understand that he wants to protect all the NHL players, not just the Caps, but he also has to make the case for equitable punishment in these situations. The suspension for Green is clearly out of line with other incidents this season, both before and after the Cormiere hit in the Q. If an elbow to the head is bad, it needs to be consistently bad in the eyes of the League.
Also, Campbell should find a new job while his son is playing in the NHL. He cannot possibly make any decisions about player discipline while he has such an obvious conflict of interest.

Posted by: CapsFan103 | January 30, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Gonchar's hit on Clutterbuck is indefensible. The big part of that is he left his feet to hit the guy. Koci's hit was indefensible. He was sent out for that expressed purpose. The league offices become an even bigger joke every time one of those head shots isn't penalized with a suspension.

Still, the Green/Boudreau stance that Green's hit wasn't worthy of suspension is just wrong. Koci's hit on Green drew Boudreau's ire, and rightfully so. He called Koci out for being a waste of a roster spot. I'm glad he really didn't comment on it, other than to avoid commenting. Otherwise, he comes off looking like a hypocrite. If a Caps player suffered a hit like that, Boudreau would blow up on the guy.

Posted by: pga6 | January 30, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

My big issue is not only with the inconsistency but also with potential conflict of interest.

If you are in any position of power in a professional sporting league, you should have no family on any team in any capacity. I don't care that Campbell didn't make the decision, I sure as hell bet hes on good terms with the guy who did. And even if that guy is honest, in a situation like this it opens the league up to criticism and unfair practices.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 30, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who agrees with green and boudreau are nuts! That hit was lead with an elbow. Plain as day. Wow. I can't believe he did that. If that was done against him, every fan would be screaming for the other guy's head. That was pretty vicious.

Posted by: blanknerc | January 30, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I remember players going after Semin the previous two seasons....until he fought Marc Staal. Now players stay away from him. Who knows, if Green shows he is willing to fight, players will leave him alone.

Going off topic, if anyone's been to Gallery Place in the past week, does anyone know what they're doing to the Chipotles that's next to McDonalds? It was closed down last night and boarded up with pictures and everything inside was taken apart.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 30, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I saw comments on another board that speculate the length of the suspension, plus the lack of one on the Koci hit are about attitude as much as anything else. The league's disciplinarians dislike the Capitals attitude.

What do we have? A captain who says the Caps are trying to get free wings for the fans. A "take no prisoners" approach to scoring. A coach who you can't get from in front of a camera, and who said another team's player shouldn't be in the league. A whinefest for Green not being in the Olympics. Top that off with one of the most arrogant fan bases in the league...a lot of so-called Capitals fans act like the Caps have won three Cups in a row. Red Sox fan with an ice sheet.

It's the attitude that makes the team fun to watch and talk about that also inspires a deep dislike from the league office.

Posted by: pga6 | January 30, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

It kills me how how your own player in Knuble has to be the voice of reason in letting everyone know that his own teammate got what he deserved, yet everyone is still going bananas for what was clearly headhunting.

Who cares about Gonchar?
Who cares about Richards?
Who cares about Koci?

The hit on Green was legal, unlike Ovechkin's reckless hits, the shoulder made contact with the shoulder and yes, the knees collided. Unlike Ovechkin's hits, the knees weren't the ONLY thing making contact.

He had his elbow up the entire time. It wasn't like Frolik changed directions and Green could argue he reacted with any part of his body to try to get a piece of him. Green got hit, Green got mad, and wanted revenge.

Just once I'd like Bruce "Body Mass Index" Boudreau to stick up for his players like he should, but not insult the rest of us at the same time with "being livid".

Quit complaining about what happened in the playoffs 9 months ago. You got beat by a better team and you got a million penalties because you were chasing the puck the entire time because Ovechkin was the only one doing anything.

Leave the hockey opinions to people who can actually skate and play and understand what they're watching instead of claiming to be knowledgeable fans because they buy red player tees.

Posted by: CanadasBest | January 30, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

9 wins in a row. Hottest team in hockey. Pretty funny the way a suspension happens and trolls arrive at the Caps board who don't like them, to tell us how to think.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

now you know why hockey is such a small time sport, always has been and always will be... thanks to our "knowledeable" neighbors to the north

Posted by: joek443 | January 30, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who are feeling paranoid about the way the Caps are treated by the NHL; just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Posted by: ds_kelly | January 30, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I suggest when they win the Cup this year, they let Green relieve himself in it on a picture of Campbell. OV can follow suit.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 30, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

orry @oldtimehockey, I think you're on the wrong board.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask, you hit the nail on the head. I guess fans from other teams can't stand the fact that we're doing well. Also, I like how they selectively don't read the many Caps fans who agreed with the Green suspension. And of course, they gotta add a dig against Ovi.

Posted by: dfe1 | January 30, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@joek443: nice response!

Posted by: dfe1 | January 30, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Lepisto with his first career NHL goal. Smack that....

Posted by: CF11555 | January 30, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Canes whip the Sharks. Smack that away Cam Ward.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

Actually, the Canes had beaten the Black Hawks today, not the Sharks. Canes beat the team with Kane.

(The Sharks are losing at the moment -- to the Wild.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 30, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes, brain freeze, as I was just rooting against the Sharks right now.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 30, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I really do not think that was "CanadasBest"

Posted by: CBinDC | January 30, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

@CBinDC

Actually, the problem is that was CanadasBest and that is why they are where they are. Playing second fiddle to the US in the NHL

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: fromthebeginning | January 30, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

The reason Green is not suspended longer is the 4th game is the NATIONALLY televised game vs. the penguins and the want him in that game. He did what he did and whether is was meant or not is beside the point, elbow to head is going to get suspension. He will rest, get healthy and be back..I think it willwork out fine, if Sloan does not do it Alzner or Carlson will.

Posted by: CelticFCbhoys | January 30, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

For me personally, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I believe you make your own breaks. The NHL is out to get us or prevent us from doing anything period. It's in their best interest to have OV in the Finals and win the Cup. He's one of a few names that the general public can identify with. The NHL wins by having Crosby or OV in the Finals.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 31, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I think there's a bigger point being missed with Green. Yeah I think 3 games is a little harsh but in the grand scheme of things I don't think there will be much of a difference if he got 1 or 3 games. We should be able to beat our next 3 opponents without him. The bigger issue to me is the enormous bullet we just dodged by Green not being hurt long term. When I saw that replay I honestly thought he was done for the year. The way his knee torqued back was scary. I'm sure GMGM and Ted's blood pressure went up a few notches until they found out he was ok. So here's to all the boys staying healthy the rest of the year so we can have our legitimate run at the most prestigous trophy in all of sports.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 31, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

@fromthebeginning

Second fiddle to what exactly? A bunch of Canadians and Europeans that make up most of the league but happen to represent American cities? I'm still not sure what you're trying to say, but hey, whatever makes you sleep at night...

I just hate reading about conspiracies and how "The League" has it out for a particular team, in any sport, not just hockey. It's just a way for fans of certain teams to blame losses or suspensions on anything BUT them. Some outside source HAS to be the culprit. If there were any conspiracy, it would be to make sure that the 'Hawks and Caps meet in the final, but no, you'd rather pretend to be victims. Why the hell would a league conspire against a high flying team that showcases the league's best talent when it's teams like that that would sell the game? Do you people actually read what you write before you hit "submit"?

As a result, I have to hear about how it's because of "inconsistencies" in penalties and suspensions that makes the sport unpopular in the States, rather than the obvious and real reason, which is for the most part, Americans simply don't like hockey as much as other pastimes. I see pass interference and illegal contact and roughing the passer change ten times a game, but that doesn't make me less of a football fan. It certainly doesn't affect the rest of America.

It would serve you well to watch other games instead of Caps games, and you'll realize (maybe) that the officiating is awful for any team on any given night. It's been like that forever, and it will continue to be so. Every fan of every team has a legitimate gripe if they want to find one, even if it's on opposite sides of the SAME GAME. Good teams, survive, and underachieving ones simply cry.

Posted by: CanadasBest | January 31, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

micron26 is a 5 year old Penguins fan.

Gordie Howe couldn't play in the NHL today. The NHL is trying to sissify Hockey so the likes of Crosby won't get hurt--he's such a sweet thing--and the pride of Canada

Posted by: duckyjimpond | January 31, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

ducky, I have a tin foil hat for sale if you want it.

Posted by: CanadasBest | January 31, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

The Panther's game may be the start of more "physical" retaliations by the rest of the South East teams against the Capitals for the remaining season. Since the Capitals have pretty much wrapped up the division, the only way the other teams can get back at them is by checking and hitting harder at the Cap's skill players. I noticed that Green got crushed at least twice in the first period before his retaliation hit, and I noticed that the Panthers were definitely checking harder than any of the Capital's previous opponents. I am definitely going to keep a close watch on other South East opponents (Starting with Tampa) to see whether they are making an extra effort to be more "physical" than the Capitals. Ultimately it is the refs that need to control the game. If they allow the Caps opponents to get away with cheap hits early then the Caps have no choice but to repay in kind.

Posted by: JohnWWW | January 31, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

@CanadasBest: If that's the best Canada can do, don't look for victories in anything anytime soon.

Being a Caps fan doesn't mean being an apologist for the bad stuff that their players do. Green led with his elbow. The excuse was terribly weak. It's a cheap, dirty hit and he got slammed with a suspension. It should have been expected. He likely got the length of time due to the game or two he'll miss recovering from the injury.

Caps can do wrong, and if some of you want to excuse their players for cheap dirty hits, feel free to do so.

Posted by: pga6 | January 31, 2010 1:43 AM | Report abuse

CanadasBest

Actually I started watching hockey with the Blackhawks of Hull-Makita-Esposito era. I wasn't knowledgeable but I did enjoy it. Just watching Bobby Hull made me become a hockey fan long before the Caps were even a thought.

As most other Caps fans here have stated, the suspension of Green was warranted though probably a little excessive for a first time offender. And those that feel that league action was not warranted need to take off their homer glasses and watch the hit again. The elbow was definitely extended and did hit Frolik in the head. All players are responsible for all parts of their bodies just as they are responsible for the stick. A high stick is a high stick whether it is intentional or accidental and elbows are the same. The issue most have is a complete and total lack of consistency with calls. While I agree that you will never find true consistency in officiating the level of inconsistency is beyond bad.

BTW, if you are interested in having an intelligent conversation about anything Caps you are most welcome here whether you are a Caps fan or a fan of another team. We just aren't really interested in trolls.

Posted by: fromthebeginning | January 31, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnWWW | January 31, 2010 1:39 AM

Of course they're making an effort to get more physical with the Capitals. Other teams have been hitting them a lot. They can't skate with this team, so the only hope for the vast majority of teams is to throw them off their game by hitting. Sometimes borderline hitting.

It's too bad the Capitals don't have a player who can go gunning for the opposition's top players. At least not the kind of players they can afford to lose for a game or two. Perhaps Dave Koci's available ;)

Posted by: pga6 | January 31, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

pga6

Like I said, I'm most concerned with how the sport and League I love is dumped on because people just can't seem to accept the simpler explanations as to how penalties and suspensions are handed out, and try awfully hard to LOOK for conspiracies and the like when there really are none.

I apologize if I'm generalizing when it comes to the fans, but there seems to be a ton of them who think along those lines, and it doesn't help when the head coach basically cries foul when it was such an obvious attempt to hurt someone.

I won't even mention who I root for because that will really bring out who I believe are the true trolls, but what I find insulting is a lot of people who never watched "old time hockey" are now pining for it, and how today's players don't hold a candle to them.

Well I'm old enough to remember 80's hockey, and even some late 70's stuff and believe me, players NEVER hit like this, legally or illegally. Players are bigger and faster and the hitting is ferocious now compared to what it used to be. Half the hits today would have actually been called interference or the long lost call of "charging". Guys now track others through the entire neutral zone (Richards on Booth) before hitting them. Back then if you took more than 3 strides, you'd be sitting down for more than 2 minutes.

It sucks that one of your guys was singled out, but you knew after the Cormier hit that the first guy to do something stupid was going to be made an example of, and it just happened to be your guy.

Again, if I'm generalizing, then I'm sorry. But to all the others who go as far as to say that he would have been suspended for longer if there was no national game next week, and bringing up the playoffs as some sort of conspiracy, I'll ask this...

Why watch what you think is not a genuine product?

Posted by: CanadasBest | January 31, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm not going to say Green doesn't deserve to be disciplined,he does.However after seeing Gonchar head hunt Clutterbuck,get a major and no suspension.How can the league then give Green 3 games,its over the top rediculous.I think in light of Cambell needing to recuse himself on this one Murphy went out of his way to hand down this suspension.I think that the on ice referees should be the ones reviewing these incidents and should be dealing with suspensions within a short timeframe after the games.The league has made enough of an ass of itself and continues to do so.Green should have been given 1 game ,maybe 2 to send a message.It is time that hits to the head get automatic suspensions,but the league will not be consistant and will continue to act the fool.

Posted by: avischecter | January 31, 2010 2:45 AM | Report abuse

For you who are relatively new to watching hockey - inconsistency concerning discipline is a hallmark of the NHL. The League still remembers the Richard Riot of 1955. Problems with the Penguins have been around since the Penguins intentionally tanked the 1983-84 season to ensure the first overall pick (Mario). The tanking went undisciplined. Ask fans in Edmonton, Vancouver, and Calgary if the NHL is biased towards Montreal and Toronto. You think the NHL on NBC coverage appears biased, watch a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast when a Canadian team plays a non-Canadian team. Hockey is run more like a European sport. History well demonstrates that sports -- from F-1 to Soccer to hockey -- don't do well in the U.S.

What I'm saying is - to expect consistency and fairness from the NHL is a fools errand. Recognize the ice is tilted against non-traditional teams and non-Canadians (or teams without a Canadian bend) and deal with it. The sport is amazing, but there's a reason it has and will never catch on in the U.S. -- Management.

Posted by: Matt23185 | January 31, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Canadasbest - First, I think I speak for most of the reasonable fans on here, our problem is not with the suspension it's with the inconsistent way the league hands out discipline. Headshots have been discussed since the summer so, really, the Cormier hit, bad as it was, is a highlight of the problem but not the genesis of a crack-down. The problem stems from inconsitency. I won't rehash the Gonchar/Green analogy that's been beaten to death on here. If the *next* instance like this -- whether done by a Penguin or a Leaf or Panther -- does not receive a 3 game suspension, then the League has a REAL problem.

Second, to say that hits like this are new is either naive or creative interpretation of the past. The Broad Street Bullies made their name off of pushing the line with regards to hits. The bench-clearing brawl was a hallmark (if not selling point) of the NHL until the early 80s. Maurice Richard, before the suspension, used to run around with questionable checks. Don Cherry's Rock em sock em hockey was an enormous seller until the nineties. That wasn't made off of clean checks.

What Green did was absolutely stupid. But, the league needs to be consistent when dolling out suspensions. It's simple: a headshot - whether intentional or not - is a three game suspension. Doesn't matter if you're a 3 time Lady Bing Winner or Tai Domi, hit to the head: you're out 3 games.

Posted by: Matt23185 | January 31, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

@Matt23185:

I agree ...

... and who will be in goal tonight, trying to get the Caps win no. ten ?

ThreeNoMore or Neuvy ... I think both want to show, that the last game against Tampa was a little bit odd ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 31, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

The Caps should be very motivated to beat Tampa. Given the last game where the Bolts were downright goony after they had already won.

Tampa Bay Lightning = Fight Club

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 31, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

@Matt23185

Agree with your main points.

1) Green deserved to be punished but the penalty harsher than what is typical. Downright excessive, in my humble opinion.

2) NHL is inconsistent about discipline. I would not be surprised if he was hit harder because of the Patrice Cormier incident and the fact that Ray Ferraro and the rest of the "Talking Heads" made such a furor about it.

3) There's probably no conspiracy against the Caps although sometimes it seems that way. I will be more relieved if similar hits by guys on other teams are punished similarly. (It seems to be the bad luck of our guys to be the offender when the League is determined to make a point by disciplining guys more seriously than usual.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 31, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Green makes my years salary in 3 games. I should have played hockey!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Puckthepens | January 31, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

For all you anti caps conspiracy theorists, please stop. The league is not out to get the caps. The caps are the most exciting offensive team in the league, with the most dynamic player in the league. A player with world wide appeal. I anything, the league would be inclined to be biased towards us, which they are not.

Green deserved a suspentions. In thought 2 but they gave him 3. The NHL is inconsistent in such things. Nothing new. Hopefully this signals a shift towards outlawing headshots so the hits like Richards on booth will be outlawed too.

For those trolls pulling the newbie card. First, try something original. Second, a few minutes on this board and you will see that most posters have been with this team for a while. And if you are pens fans, better clean the windows on your glass house.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 31, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

@Puckthepens:

... only if you were as good as Green ... ;-)
... and you should play nowadays ...

@CapsFan75:

I fear for some injuries ...
... Tampa will use the same approach to get the Caps off their game as last time ...

From TampaTribuneOnline (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/31/sp-bolts-capitals-ready-to-clash/sports-lightning/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tbo%2Fbolts+%28TBO+%3E+Lightning%29):

Will anything carry over into this afternoon's affair?

"I would think so. I hope so," Lightning center Zenon Konopka said. "We battled that game, that was one of our better games so I hope we bring that same intensity. ... I haven't been here for the past couple of years, but I think they kicked us when we were down and spit on us once we were down."

This does sound a little bit "unfriendly" ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 31, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Mat23185 - While I agree there are inconsistencies in discipline, you see the same in all sports and anything judicial. Your comment about the ice being slanted is way off. No way. Though the league is based in Canada, it could not survive without the US market. Our organizations are just as important as those north of the border - look at the efforts made to keep Phoenix where it is. Another strike against your comment, is if the ice was slanted in favor of the Leafs and Habs, you'd think a Cup might have found it's way there in recent years as opposed to Tampa, Carolina, etc... nothing wrong with having a nostalgic soft spot in your heart for some of the original 6, but claiming that something is occurring behind the scenes is ludicrous.

Posted by: gonchpup | January 31, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

only 6 outta 30 teams are in Canada, ONLY 20 percent. it's about time the NHL ignored the Don Cherrys of the world and their provincial view of the game and really took the game to the next level.

most hockey fans are NOT gonna stop watching if they took all the goonery outta the game... what would they turn to, curling???

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

gonchpup - The problem with inconsistent enforcement of the rules/ inconsistent punishment is it feeds the "tilting the ice" theories. It creates the appearance that certain teams receive benefits. I am not saying the league is taking active steps to help one team to the detriment of another. I'm saying - the league is filled with conspiracy theories about how the Penguins, Canadians, and Maple Leafs are the league's darlings. Inconsistent rule and punishment enforcement only serves to fuel these theories.

It seems as though, recently, the inconsistent enforcement of the rules has started to play a larger and larger role in determining the outcome of games. The most notable was the failure to suspend Malkin during last year's finals. The inconsistent treatment of headshots has been a problem. Then there was the problem in Vancouver with the Burrows/Auger situation. Individually, each can be explained; it's the pattern that is a problem for the league.

Posted by: Matt23185 | January 31, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@joek443:

I think, if they took all the goonery out of the game, there will be even more people, watching ...

... as they want to see the best players doing their magic with the puck and not a goon, ending their careers ...

... I don't understand, why someone is watching a game, waiting for a goon to take out one of the best players ...

... and than moaning, that the player ist out for a long period of time, and he is not able to see him play ...

... and the ticket holders should be ambarrased that a goon took out a player (like Ovie) before their home team play the Caps, not able to see him play but paying a lot of money ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 31, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@ FCKoeln1

yes, indeed... I would make them wear a football helmet and say you boys can fight if you want to but if you take your helmet off, you will get a double minor for delay of game.

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@CanadasBest

I don't know if you are coming back to this board unless another "incident" happens to the Caps, but I have to say I take particular exception to your PATRONIZING tone.

You are guilty of making gross generalizations and assumptions about Caps fans, that they are all new to hockey, that none of them owned a jersey before the new red Caps design, that they never watch any other team but the Caps, that they never played hockey, that they don't know any of the rules and regulations, that they hate Canada, that none of them are Canadian, need I say more.

If you had bothered to read ALL of the posts, including my own, you would have found many different points of view, some reasonable, some unreasonable, and a whole lot in between.

And if you go any board or blog of any fan base, including your own, you would find the same diversity of opinion, knowledge, ignorance, and passion.

So if you return, BACK OFF with your attitude and show some courtesy.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 31, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

This does sound a little bit "unfriendly" ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1

Good Grief! It most certainly does sound unfriendly. Maybe this is his way of motivating his players. Guess it will be a lively game. May the guys take it to them the best the Caps know how--by SCORING: first, often, and last.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 31, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

So what's the lineup, Tarik? I think we know it, except who's in goal? I'm betting Jose.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I generally don't think it's fair to enforce rules only when it's useful to make a point, but the NHL can do whatever it wants here...

If Green's hit was more evidently intentional and he had a reputation of giving hits like that, 3 games would be warranted. This was very clearly not the case here.
In this case, I think a stiff fine would have been appropriate. Green's a good player and a good man. He probably got the message enough simply with the penalty, and a fine would have more than done the trick. A 3-game suspension to one of the NHL's stars seems like a bad move.

Posted by: j762 | January 31, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Didn't even bother to read CanadasBest's posts. Probably all stupid and pointless. Don't need to waste my time.

Let's move on and talk about the game and our winning streak. No need to keep talking about suspensions and all that stuff, because it only keeps bringing trolls who want to chime in with their two cents. Green got a 3 game suspension. It's over and done. I'm already sick of arguing, especially when OTHER team's fans think they know everything and think they are the voice of reason.

Who's starting tonight? Will be very interesting to see who BB taps. We know it'll be one of the two.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

TORONTO -- Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is holding a media availability Sunday at 11:30 a.m. ET in what a team source told ESPN.com was to announce a "shakeup" of some sort.

Burke has been in trade talks with other NHL teams for a few weeks now and there are several players available, including Alexei Ponikarovsky, Matt Stajan, Vesa Toskala, Garnet Exelby and Jamal Mayers.

judging from their performance against the Caps this year, the player that really stood out from the Leafs was Niklas Hagman IMO.

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The league is taking this way to out of hand. What about the knee to knee?! Ovechkin got suspended for 4 days. Florida's man didnt get anything... and Green gets suspended for barely touching the guy? Makes a lot of sense right? not. I just think the league is making a horrible decision for suspending only Green and not Frolik, especially for 3 games??? yeah right. FREEE MIKIE!

Posted by: jfahlfe05 | January 31, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

the player from the Leafs I want is Francois Beauchemin but he just signed with them in the offseason so probably not gonna be traded.

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@achel216

Agreed. I just wanted to get a little pre-game reading in and find trolls. I don't understand the mentality of going on another fan base's boards and talking trash. So pointless.

I also think it might be Theo today. I'm feeling really good about them both. I just hope we draw penalties, not take them, and score a LOT of goals today.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 31, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CanadasBest

And you’ve probably never played hockey in your life. How arrogant. Thinking you’re better than everyone else. Seriously, get off your high horse. Obviously you aren't very "knowledgeable" yourself. What a moron, try to take a shot at us and you're the one that looks like a fool.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns: And now I'm a hypocrite. :/ I just talked back to the troll. Shame on me. Okay, NO MORE!! Let's talk about today's game!!

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Phaneuf to the Leafs. At least he won't be coming to the Caps.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 31, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

sounds like kovalchuk to flames would be the next move after they ship out phaneuf. i guess none of this get covered in espn.

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

it will probably be Theo if he's 100 percent.

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I'm done with discipline issues. The Caps have to move on, as should we.

Another big game today -- every one is.

Carlson and Alzner stepped up nicely in their recent call-ups. It's Sloan's turn to prove himself today.

If Jose's healthy, should be his start. It's time for Jose to demonstrate that his consistent recent good starts are not a blip on the screen and that he can provide the veteran leadership in net that can carry us with Varly through the playoffs.

Nicky's a beast, Semin's a monster, and Ovi is Ovi. I anticipate goals and more from our skill guys today.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Phaneuf to the Leafs. At least he won't be coming to the Caps.

Posted by: Aldred15

Richmondphil will be happy!

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Most of you think it's Theo... I think it's Neuvy. Hmm...

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

the Leafs already have two high priced d-men in Beauchemin and Komisarek... I don't see them adding another one of those by trading for Phaneuf.

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

joek443: the trade is done. happened about 10 minutes ago. phaneuf is a leaf.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 31, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

komisarek also has a shoulder problems. he might be out for the season. what did burkie give up for phaneuf.

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Gigeure to Leafs; Toskala to Ducks; more coming

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I see the Leafs just got Giguere according to ESPN

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Leading in, some thought Exelby might go too.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

if anyone wants to listen to the broadcast. stajan and white for phaneuf

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Thanks @samb99. Still waiting for the news conference.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

well Brian Burke won the Cup with Giguere in Anaheim 3 years ago so makes sense...

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

well according to LeBrun at ESPN, Giguere still has to okay the deal

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@Aldred15

So, what will happen next ...

Brian Burke shaking up the roster ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 31, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Ponikarovsky to Penguins according to hockeybuzz

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

You had to know something was in place because of the signing of Hiller. Toronto, Burke have a long way to go. Phanuef adds to their already really expensive D-corp and Giguere hasn't been Giguere in over 2 years.

As someone said earlier, I'm glad both Phaneuf and Giguere aren't coming here.

Posted by: JSchon | January 31, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Also, Souray broke his wrist last night. The price for Kaberle and Neidermayer goes up. This better not scare McPhee away. This team is one defender away from at least a cup appearance. It is clear they do not believe Alzner is that guy. I say trade him before the deadline.

Alzner, Fehr and a first to St. Louis

Tkachuk, Brewer to Washington

Posted by: underpants2 | January 31, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

didn't Eric Brewer and Tom Poti play together in Edmonton?

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

all of canada is buzzing and espn news is covering hershal walker mma fighting...

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Phaneuf, Sjostrom and Auley to Toronto for Hagman, Stajan, Mayers and white

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I still say we go for Rolo and Sutton if the Isles are knocked out of contention. Rolo had a nice game in a losing cause to the Flyers yesterday (2-1). Better yet, Hartnall was shooting his mouth off and pushing a bunch of players and then Sutton grabbed Hartnall, shook him, and Hartnall shut his trap. THAT is the kind of abrasive guy we need on our back line.

I am in the camp that most of the rest of you too. If GMGM decides to go with the team we have I'd have a hard time arguing with that. Hopefully Green's injury really is just a deep bruise. I saw a hyperextension on the replay, but Ovi's did too. These guys are in such good shape that their bodies are much more flexible than the average joe.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 31, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm really curious to see the details of all these deals, particularly the Giguere deal. I'm guessing the Ducks had to include their first round pick to get the Leafs to make that swap.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 31, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

well what is VS doing?? LOL that's the official network of the NHL, not ESPN

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

rachel216 - I am in no way coming down on you. Your posts are well-written, enjoyable, and it is obvious that you are a sincere Caps fan. Now, the "however"... CanadasBest made some pretty good points - especially the 1:16 post. It is true that there are too many posters here that revel in the thought that we are scorned by those up north. "Conspiracies abound". Just not true. And, the reality is that far to many in the DC area ARE green when it comes to knowledge of the sport and I shake my head in disbelief when I read some of the crap written by some of our fans. As for me, I grew up here as well and proudly support each of our teams, as opposed to jumping on the winning bandwagons... love the Caps. BUT - many fans here, as loud and supportive and appreciative as they are, know very little about the game and most have no experience whatsoever on the ice. Again, this is not directed at you, but I just felt a desire to address the ongoing discrepancies we seem to have with some of the "trolls".

Posted by: gonchpup | January 31, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@samb99

Thank you for the update ...

... however, does this trade make sense beside "shaking up the roster" or "getting rid of some not so popular players" ?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 31, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Well he doesn't need to have an attitude like that. He can make his points and not come across like that.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

dion is a game changer. he has not played well this year. he too me is like the scott stevens we had and gave up to blues/devils. you need one stud back in defense to win the cup

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Phaneuf, Sjostrom and Auley to Toronto for Hagman, Stajan, Mayers and white

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

In his news conference, Burke confirmed all of the above. He refused to comment on the Ducks deal (probably waiting for JSG's anticipated approval), but said that there would be another announcement within 30 minutes.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

rachel216 - You're too sensitive... :)

Posted by: gonchpup | January 31, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

the Caps didn't "give up" Scott Stevens to anyone. he's the one who wanted to leave and signed with the Blues after the limo incident

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Anybody watching the U-17 game on the NHL Network? These kids look awesome! And most likely to the chagrin of our friends up north, the US boys are up 1-0 after 2.

Posted by: gonchpup | January 31, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Tampa's going with Mike Smith today, who hasn't played in 3 weeks. Interesting because Antero Niittymaki has been really hot lately.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

versus official nhl showing fishing..

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a good trade for Calgary. Their D is still solid, led by Jay-Bo and Regehr. In reality, Ian White may not hit like Phaneuf, but he's probably as good if not better defensively, and is only getting paid $850,000 compared to the $6.5 mil for Phaneuf this year. Everyone they traded for except Hagman is a UFA or RFA (White) after this season.

IMHO, unfortunately for the Leafs, the best they can hope for is that this ends up working out as an even trade, because Phaneuf is being paid like a superstar defenseman whether he performs like one or not.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 31, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

rachel216 is right.. I hate what I would call hockey elitists in Canada who think they know it all

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

joek443

you are missing the point. i am very familiar with the incident. the point was more around the stud d you need to win a cup. chill...

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

No I don't think I'm being sensitive. I just don't get why people always have to get into conversations about new fans, old fans, and people who have played the game are automatically better and know more. That's the argument that all opposing team's fans bring here. They say all Caps fans are bandwagon fans. So what?! We all support the team the same way. Some may know more than others, but why is that so wrong? EVERY single sports team gets more fans when they're winning.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

if you wanna talk about a d-man they truly "gave up", it's the other HOF plyer... Larry Murphy

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

go red wings!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 31, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Pens will have been on NBC like 3 times in a row after our game with them on Super Bowl Sunday.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

It's fair enough to admit that Caps fans by and large are not as knowledgeable as Canadian fans. So what?

I'm a 10 year STH and been a hockey fan much longer. Probably like most Caps fans, though, I did not grow up on the game, and learning the game and focusing more on league-wide play is an ongoing process. I know a ton more than my friends, and a ton less than perhaps most Canadians. Nothing to be ashamed of, but probably not worth criticizing me or other Caps fans for either. I'd just rather enjoy the game.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

that's a reward for winning the Cup... the same in any sport

if the Caps win the Cup, we'll see plenty of them on NBC next year

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Sonyask: Exactly. Can't we all just enjoy the game instead of arguing about who knows more? It's getting old!!

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

joek443: Yeah, you're right about that. I actually don't care if it's on NBC b/c Emrick is so annoying.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

rachel - Again, I am not knocking our fans for supporting our team. What I do have problems with is reading some of the garbage spewed toward some of our players, coaching staff, and GM by newbies who think they have something enlightening to offer. Trashers and bashers with all sorts of armchair comments even after a 7-2 win. While this is an open venue for opinions, some need to use discretion and realize they don't have too much experience or knowledge to suggest that "Ovie should have..." or "Bruce shouldn't have paired..." or "McPhee's a ...". I equate it to the feeling I get when Angelena Jolie types feels she has something to offer about world politics and that her opinions should change our outlook.

Posted by: gonchpup | January 31, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@ rachel216

yeah Emrick does get too excited... one more reason why the NHL needs to go back to ABC/ESPN. Gary Thorne and Bill Clement were much better than anything NBC has.

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ:

... and I'm able to watch this game ...

Hopefully sero points for the Pens, 2 points for the Wings and the Caps ...

... and my home team won yesterday which is a good omen ...

... hmm two minutes for Datsyuk and Malkin slashing ... nothing new ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 31, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Dion Phaneuf is now a Toronto Maple Leaf

Flames trade Phanuef, Aulie, and Sjostrom for White, Hagman, Stajan and Mayers

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 31, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Phanuef/Komisarek = most physical/worst defending pair in the league.

The Leafs had no offense as it is, who's going to score for them now that they lost a line?

Posted by: richmondphil | January 31, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope the boys are up for embarrassing the lightning after last meeting's shenanigans.

Light them up caps!

Posted by: O-V-P | January 31, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 12:06 PM |

People who evaluate Phaneuf like this make me want to beleive you don't watch the Flames much. He hasn't sucked just this year, he's been downhill since his rookie season.

He's a horrible defender, always out of position. He's a great puck-mover and one of the best hitters, but he's pretty bad at defending.

Go read a Flames blog from past games. There's more fan-hate for Phanuef than there is for Green from Caps fans.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 31, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Giguere to Toronto for Toskala and Jason Blake. Deal #2 done.

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Washington Capitals -- The Caps fall into the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" category. Sure, GM George McPhee will listen, all GMs listen, but the Caps' needs are few and far between at this point.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 31, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Toronto. Traded just about your entire firepower for a slumping defenseman and a checking forward...

Posted by: elicea | January 31, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil

Do you know how old he is and what his upside is and what he has been able to accomplish in the few years he has been in the league. I would love to see him lay one of his hits on cindy....

Posted by: samb99 | January 31, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I really like Jason Blake. Sure would've liked to see him in a Caps uni.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 31, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1, re Datsyuk and Malkin - Hmm, maybe some tension there over who gets to center Ovi's line in the Olympics.

Posted by: zmega | January 31, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he's 24. I am just giving it how it is. He's not really a game-changer. Yes, he's one of the best hitters in the league. Yes, he's a great offensive-d man.

But his defensive coverage is horrible. Worst than Green. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

But I mean..who's going to score for the Leafs?

Posted by: richmondphil | January 31, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trust the opinions of some noise-making bloggers as the basis for evaluating a player... if that were the case, Green would be outta here by now.

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil,

perfect assessment of "celine" dion phaneuf as they like to call him

Posted by: O-V-P | January 31, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Jose is starting today. (From Tarik's twitter)

Posted by: vtcaps08 | January 31, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen Phaneuf that much so I'm no expert when it comes to his game other than seeing some highlights of him.

But the criticizm of him about being terriblly outta position in his own zone is something I heard before many years ago... Scott Stevens in his early years with the Caps were often criticized for the same thing.

I believe it's something that can be corrected... the guy obviously has natural talent

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Jose's better and playing. Keep it up, my man.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

As hot as the caps are rolling right now, I have to believe this year will be our best shot...we might have another legitimate shot next season, but that is taking gamble.

Now is the time to pay up for that one insurance player...because if I see Sloan playing in the playoffs, I might cry.

Posted by: capscoach | January 31, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse