Green, Fedorov Getting Close

Both Mike Green and Sergei Fedorov said they hoping play tomorrow when the Caps host the Senators at Verizon Center.

Green said today was the first morning since getting hurt that he woke up with no pain or stiffness in his shoulder. He also took his first slap shot since the injury during practice.

"I'm about 95 percent, maybe 92 percent," Green joked. "I have full strength, full rotation. It will probably be sore tonight. But as long as I wake up tomorrow and it feels the way it felt this morning, for sure I'll play."

"There wasn't any pain," he said. "I feel good."

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he was "hopeful" but not completely convinced.

"I don't think it's 100-percent," Boudreau said of Green. "But it's the first time he's feeling normal. That's good news. But we're still not sure if we're going to play him tomorrow. Mike told he was ready to go the day after the injury. He couldn't carry his arm and he said, 'I'm ready to go coach.'"

Because of that, call-up Sean Collins is staying with the Caps - for now.

Fedorov, meanwhile, is also much improved. After skating hard today, he'll skate again tomorrow, and if his ankle feels okay, he'll be in the lineup against the Senators, who were shutout, 2-0, by Cristobal Huet in Chicago last night.

Some other news and notes from practice:

*Brent Johnson (hip) did not practice, but said he would be ready to start tomorrow if called upon.

Boudreau, however, would not commit to his starter, saying, "A lot depends on how [Johnson] feels. If he's playing really good, you want to run with him. But you also don't want to get him hurt where he misses two weeks again and it takes him a while to get back into it."

*Boudreau said Tom Poti received a "maintenance day" today and should be ready to go tomorrow.

*Tomas Fleischmann did not practice and will not play tomorrow, Boudreau said. I saw Fleischmann from a distance and he had a pronounced limp.

*Eric Fehr did not skate, but said, "I'm literally day-to-day. We'll see how it feels tomorrow."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 11, 2008; 1:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Johnson Not Skating
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

I really hope Poti is just pure 'maintenance'. I have a bad gut feeling about him.

Posted by: goskinsgo | December 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Take your time, Eric. Take your time.

Posted by: _jordan | December 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

If Johnny can go tomorrow, he's absolutely earned the start. But I would understand being careful with him, it was a really scary moment when he went down yesterday after that tremendous save.

Posted by: sirbobalew | December 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Johnson and Poti are probably sitting at a bar as we speak nursing the soreness.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Yet again I get caught out by a new thread so I must repost. Ack!

Last night before the game I heard Boomer on NHL Home Ice (XM Radio) say that Pothier is skating again. Can anyone confirm this?

Last night's win was huge but I didn't feel like it was the best Caps hockey we've seen. Seemed like Boston was very strong on the cycle and we struggled to clear the puck at times. The puck seemed to be in the Caps' defensive zone too much and too many times Boston was able to gain the blueline uncontested. Of course Boston's at the top of the EC so you'd expect that but I think the Caps were fortunate to not get bitten by some breakdowns last night. If not for the great goaltending, Caps would've lost.

But a win is a win and it's especially nice to see the Caps win games even when they aren't running on all cylinders. They should contend for the top spot when/if everyone gets healthy.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

When will we make a decision about Pothier? If he is unable to perform, will we not gain cap relief?

Posted by: SeattleRob | December 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Sounds good to me. HA, now my biggest concern in the future is who will be the healthy scratches and who will be sent down to Hershey?

Posted by: DCSPORTS | December 11, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I was at practice today, and yeah, Pothier came out after practice and skated in a track suit, taking shots.

The senators all came in the building while we was doing that, and they came over and were talking to him. Bryan Murray was at kettler talking to someone right near the doors to the proshop. It was pretty cool.

Posted by: ajded80 | December 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@ AleksanderOMunchkin:

Corey of the Washington Times wrote an article on Pothier for yesterday's paper. In it, he noted that Pothier was back on the ice - but in tennis shoes. I don't believe he is back skating yet though.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The Caps said that last night was a "measuring stick" game. I think alot of things got measured. Poti was ready to come back, Semin was ready to be back. How good are the Caps. Well lets see, When they get great goaltending with only 75% of thier starters back and hold the highest scoring team in the Eastern conference to just 1 goal. I'd say that they are pretty darn good. Can't wait to see what we look like at 90%!!!!!

Posted by: psugolf | December 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Pothier's money doesn't count against the cap, because he's on Long Term Injured Reserve.

Posted by: _jordan | December 11, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What I have seen as a problem for the Caps in thier own end is how they want to clear the puck to where the opposing team is headed. For instance, If Poti has it along the right wing boards, he'll send it behind the net to the left side where 1 D guy is there to play the puck with 2 opposing forwards on him. Instead of fighting along the boards and battling they risk taking it to the other end which creates a scoring chance for the the other team.

For some reason Collins and Alzner are the only ones that know how to chip the puck off the boards and out of the zone. I wish the others would start doing it!

Posted by: darrylrbaker | December 11, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Fehr is at 43% right now.

Posted by: Section117 | December 11, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Chipping the puck off the boards and out of the zone isn't a very controlled break-out and usually isn't the best option. You're just turning the puck over, or icing it if you're real unlucky, if you do that every time.

Posted by: _jordan | December 11, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Take your time, Eric. Take your time.

Posted by: _jordan | December 11, 2008 1:14 PM
-------------------------------------------
I believe he's at 44% on the Green scale.

Posted by: Section117 | December 11, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I have to repost again too:

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, NHL Network's play of the night was BJ's save on the breakaway. That was exciting! Gotta give Jurcina some love because I always trash him. Although he had some minor mistakes last night I believe that was one of his best games as a Cap. He got a couple of his blasts off from the point which was nice. Not sure if those at home could see his biggest play develop, but is was when the puck bounced out from behind our net in the 3rd and either Kessel or Savard (couldn't make out the first digit it was *1) tried to slam it into the open net. First Jurcina stopped the forward progress of his stick blade, almost looked like a rejection on someone going up for a dunk in Basketball, and then he cleaned him out. That is what a big D-man is supposed to do. That was just an unbelievable game. Poti was a little rusty but a game changer. Of course his assist was sweet but the coolest thing I saw was in the first 10 minutes of the game when he started behind our net and there was not a break out lane open so he said screw it and simply took off and carried the puck out of the zone. The little things that he and Green bring to the team. Semin looked a little rusty too but his "sick" hands were there and ready.

OV, what can you say about him. When he drove Chara to the ice because he was tired of being held, it was priceless. He also made that beautiful move where he puts to puck in his skates while he goes around the D in the 2nd. Chara's so darn big OV was almost in the crease when he finally got around the giant, but it was a nice move. He also shouldered Chara out of the slot in the 3rd. Last night was definitely a another fun one at Verizon.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 11, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere yesterday, probably here, that Pothier was skating yesterday after the Caps practice. Hopefully he did not have a setback after that. Sounds promising for a return to something of a normal life. One can hope.

Posted by: _Mark | December 11, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. Sloan's not perfect and he didn't have his best game last night. How much of that was that he was playing with a rusty Poti? Sure, he makes mistakes, but no more than I've seen any of our dmen make. I think this group is too quick to throw him to the wolves and say we ought to get rid of him. I think that'd be a wrong move on our part, and I still say that we actually got a D upgrade when we started calling guys up from Hershey. I'd be sorry to lose him, and if we send him down, lose him to waivers we assuredly will.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Pothier does in fact count against the cap. The LTIR exemption is a waiver to exceed the cap, not a removal.

Posted by: koalatek | December 11, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Semantics.

Posted by: _jordan | December 11, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

HA! Fehr says literally, because Semin had been day-to-day for 3 or 4 weeks

Posted by: PonMan | December 11, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

koala-

I actually believe that Pothier is on Injured, Non-Roster list. ie. the list you can stick hurt guys on at the begining of the year who fail physicals. This list does not count against your cap, and you can pull the player off with permission from commissioner. (just as placing a player on it during the year (has to be for non-injury/illness. death in family, baby stuff) has to be approved by Bettman.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

While I'm not a "sexy lumberjack" supporter or detractor (except to be able to say that when I watch games, thanks steveo) does anyone else think he probably concussed himself out of a regular roster spot?

Posted by: superpaqman | December 11, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

koala-

nevermind, non-roster counts against our cap, so Pothier's money is a 2.5M hit against our cap.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeattleRob | December 11, 2008 1:18 PM

Pothier has been on LTIR since last January. His contract has no effect on our salary cap.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 11, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"Can somebody write an FAQ about the Caps as far as injury and the salary cap are concerned? "

The short answer is that EVERYONE counts against the salary cap, even those on Long Term Injury Reserve. The Caveat is that when someone goes on LTIR you can exceed the cap by that players daily cap number in order to fill his position on the roster. As soon as they come off the LTIR you need to be back under the cap.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 11, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Great game last night but there was one thing that really bothered me...

Anyone who attends Caps game on a regular basis knows and greatly appreciates the guy from the upper level who blows his horn at the most opportune moments to fire up the crowd. I was disappointed last night to find a teenager in the bottom section with his own horn trying to steal the thunder away from upper-deck guy. He was out of sync, not as loud, and clearly unappreciative of upper-deck who has reached cult status over the years. SAY NO TO NEW HORN GUY!

NOT COOL.

Posted by: jbrady1 | December 11, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

jbrady

was wondering what that noise was. So we're all in agreement:

NO to new horn guy!
and
NO to Terry on the organ! BRING BACK BRUCE!

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that phony horn kid in the lowers pisses me off. He's terrible and I would be embarrassing if my horn-blowing was as paltry as his.

Posted by: _jordan | December 11, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@jbrady1

Thats funny. I thought there was a rule that you could not bring in a horn. Leonsis actually allows one horn to come in, which has been the same for a long time.

In my opinion, we need to stop relying on the horn to get loud and start cheers.

We also need to do a better job heckling the other team, and goalies...we used to do that better.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Actually Horn Guy is running franchise operations now. With any luck, there will be a Horn Guy in every section and the Acela Club, sort of like Starbucks.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

For Example - We got to get all over Gerber on Friday if we jump out to a 2 goal lead in the first. Especially if one of the goals was even close to soft.

Ger-Ber...Ger-Ber....Ger-Ber....The place should rock with that chant.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town,

Best goalie chant ever: "Beat your wife, Burke, Beat your wife."

Awesome.

Disclaimer: Domestic violence is not funny and I do not condone it. I do condone the ridicule of those who commit it, especially those who play goalie for the other team.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 11, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that Green can play tomorrow because when this team is healthy it's the most dangerous offensive team in the league I believe! Time to go on another hot run! I can't wait to see OV pass Malkin on the scoring list!

Posted by: onthebeach96 | December 11, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

We used to get on Barrasso and Hextall good with that depressing chant. You know they got to hate that.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Aw, Tom Barrasso. A man who would enter the Michael Vick/ Plaxico Burress Hall of Fame for Criminal Idiocy by Athletes if he was still still playing. Random factoid: He was once indicted for "Making Terrorist Threats"....

And, I should have mentioned this before, but I like Horn Guy. Yeah, its great to have spontaneous cheering, but he does serve a purpose and its not like he starts the chants all the time, just when they are needed.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 2:32 PM
-------------------------------------------
Heretic.

Best. Moment. Ever.

Posted by: Section117 | December 11, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I always thought that you should cheer your own team rather than tear down the other..

There was a drunk ass in front of me at the Carolina game a few weeks ago who was going WWWWAAAAAA-AAAAAAAARD at Cam Ward through the ENTIRE GAME! Even when the Canes were ahead!

Posted by: _jordan | December 11, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town

I completely agree that in a perfect world, the fans would know when the right moments were, and get on their feet and make some noise...

For some reason, that's not the case, and I'm glad we have enough people who are willing to join horn guy in cheering. You can clearly see when he's MIA. The arena is much more quiet and very lax.

The more success we have, and the more educated our fans get, the less we should have to rely on horn guy. For now, though, we have to rely on Goat, Horn Guy, and more cowbell!

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

AND GOOD GRIEF, NO WAPO, I DON'T NEED HELP PLANNING MY DAMN NIGHTLIFE EVER 2 MINUTES!!!

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

great game last night. good to see the team can get up for the top teams, now they need to stay focused on the lesser teams. couple thoughts:

-i wish the redskins could run plays as well as the bruins. wow, well coached team who obviously practices well. with a little lineup consistency, the caps should be able to do the same
-rule 1 vs boston. when chara is marking someone, don't pass to that guy. i don't care if its OV, gretzky, or the ghost of rocket richard. don't. hear that semin?
-i like having goalies playing for a new contract. next year theo will be in that position.
-is there a "for lease" sign on alzner's hershey apartment?
-awarding giroux that penalty shot was weak. he was not denied a reasonable scoring opportunity.
- ov's "hooking" penalty was a joke. so i guess things even out.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 11, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree.

Half the crowd doesnt know or care the name of the guy in goal for the opponent.

Im all for the horn too, so dont get me wrong.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan

what doesn't even out was the disappearance of the boarding call prior to that breakaway. We should have had a 2 min 5 on 3 and somehow, between singling out TWO guys for TWO separate penalties, the ref got to the scorers table and called interference on "Washington, 29." He forgot who committed the penalty, and forgot the 2nd penalty HE called.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I was in the section next to Fake Horn Guy (aka dying moose kid). Too bad the usher was only interested in watching the game and not in doing his job; he barely turned around to look at the crowd all night. There were other instances that could have used his attention--fans continuously standing up during play (and getting verbally abusive when they were reminded to sit down), people not sure where their seats were, etc.

Glad to hear Green is almost ready to return--I hope the 92-95% is an honest self-assessment and not a case of being overly eager to get back on the ice.

Posted by: squiggy115 | December 11, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see the Capitals give Johnny a long term extension before the end of this season. If anyone deserves an extension at this point it is him hands down without question. Not only is he playing his butt off, but he understands what the number 1 on the back of his jersey means. It means that 1 is the total amount of goals your suppose to allow in during a game. Crapodore on the other hand thinks that wearing number 60 means he can let in 60 goals a night. Maybe OV should start shooting at his head during practice like he did with Kolzig. It won't make him any better, but it might knock a little bit of sense into him.

Posted by: mlewis31 | December 11, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@Sec 117: thank you. i'd almost forgotten how great that fight was. i love Kelly Miller.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | December 11, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

You stay classy.

Posted by: Section117 | December 11, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman

I see the same thing too. Although sexy lumberjack fell in the same category as Jucie and Schultz IMO, being concussed my keep him on the bench for a while - especially since its his 3rd in less than a year. With Clark on the LTIR, we can keep Alzner playing which will leave Erskine on the outside looking in. If nothing else, the Caps should certainly take their time in letting him recover because 1) look at how long its taken with Pothier and 2) we have more than ample, more than adequate reserves. PS - for what its worth, i dont care how healthy Pothier ever becomes again, I hope he doesnt suit up in a game again for his own health and life. Look at that QB Green in the NFL, or Lindros, etc....

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | December 11, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

16000 plus in verizon and not enough room for 2 horn blowers...my my what pair of whiners......maybe we should only allow a certain number of ov jerseys or caps hats...GET A LIFE

Posted by: wendel2 | December 11, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The upper level down near the Caps end of the ice has a few people who are good at getting chants started. Now, if only the Caps would score more often in the second frame.

For the record, I really really hate when we score while I'm in the ladies' room or something. I'd've gone during intermission, but my friend left her stuff with me and was gone for all of intermission and didn't come back for several minutes into the second. *grumble*

Also, I have a new superstition, one that will disappoint the vending stands. At a home game, if I have more than one alcoholic drink, we lose. So, I limit myself to one.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@squiggy 115

Verizon Center has got to do a better job of teaching the rules of watching hockey. They need to show reminders on the screen not to get up during play. They put notices on the wall by the portals, but the ushers dont even care half the time.

I would even say a reminder should be put on every ticket.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: I'll say. Last night I came in after the Giroux goal in the second and play was in progress - you can tell walking in by looking at the jumbotron whether you can go to your seat or you need to wait. The usher gestured me up the stairs and I told her "No, play's in progress, I'll wait here." She looked at me surprised, then went "Oh right" and stopped the next guy coming in behind me.

I have not been watching live hockey all that long, but it didn't take much to pick up the few simple rules of etiquette. One thing I have noticed, though, is that when play does stop, it doesn't usually stop for long. You need to shake a leg in order to get to your seat before play starts again, and some people (okay, a LOT) take their sweet time getting up there. People need to learn to move and move fairly quickly.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

On the noise and etiquette thing. There are arenas where people stand virtually the entire game, even in the NHL. There are arenas that are loud all the time and then there are some, ours included that just aren't that loud. I don't write it off to bad fans (although we certainly have plenty), but sort of a culture thing.

Two issues: Fans who know hockey. I've been an STH in the lower lower bowl for many years. I know hockey, I love hockey. When it was me and 4,000 other fans (many of whom are probably here) during the lean years, everyone knew hockey save the random guy on corporate seats that needed explaining. Now, its the hot ticket, I'm not so sure that half the crowd really gets the gamne.

But, even if you had 16000 fans who knew the game, its still DC and its a corporate town. I still go with the better half sometimes, but usually I go with a client or a colleague. We watch the game, and cheer, sure, but we also talk shop, network, etc. Its like watching a game on a really big interactive TV. I'm not saying that's good for the team or anything, I just think its how it is here.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 11, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I think someone needs to interview Horn Guy and see what he thinks about the Canes stealing his bit! Did anyone watch the Canes game and notice they were trying to do the same thing he does. Shameful.

Posted by: WVPhil | December 11, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

And no one should have a problem with you if you wait till the stoppage and have a problem getting back in your seat before play starts again. At least you tried to be considerate

It's mid game that people just get up...or sit down...

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

mauree,
(from previous, previous, previous...what? I'm busy!)
Completely taken as a joke. I apologize for not being here to throw back a witty (and timely) retort. As much as I hate it, school has to come before hockey sometimes and I had a meeting.

I'm going to be cheering quietly to myself for the Caps tomorrow as I cheer loudly for the JMU football team, who are playing Montana in our D1-AA semi-finals.
Go Caps! Go Dukes!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

kitty

My rule is getting up to do whatever I need to do during TV time outs. Top of Caps penalty box, there's a red light. If it's on, TV time out and you have a couple minutes.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I was at practice today as well and Pothier did skate after practice. He said it is was his second day back on the ice praticing.

Posted by: theresa21 | December 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@FFSEnough - so that's what that light means! I kept seeing it and never knew what it meant. That's good information, thank you, and I will remember it.

See, I learn all kinds of good stuff from you people. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Dale Hunter vs Rick Tocchet Kelly Miller - Kjell Samuelsson is no longer available on youtube...

Posted by: oo7 | December 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

On the fan etiquette question, how does everyone feel about people yelling "shoot" all the time. To me that is the most annoying thing. Sure there are some times it's justified, but when a guy has the puck on his backhand 30 feet from the goal, or when a D man has taken one step over the blueline, or when they are on the PP and thre is guy 2 feet from them on the point, not so much. I think you get my drift. Agree? Disagree?

Posted by: WVPhil | December 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@theresa21: He made it onto the ice to practice in skates, two days in a row? That is awesome.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

wvphil. did you catch my response in the Johnson-not-Skating blog?

sorry about cross posting, when there's a new blog I usually just take conversations to that.

to re-post: I think we sit near eachother. VERY near eachother. I'm typically very enthusiastic WRT: Mites on Ice, if that gives you a hint as to who I am.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

FFSEnough,
Sorry, missed that. Where were you in relation to the super drunk guys that were hooting at the camera guy all night long?

Posted by: WVPhil | December 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Pothier did skate and take some shots with Goaltending Coach Prior after practice.

I chatted with him for a few minutes and he said he didn't have any adverse reactions to skating yesterday.

He hopes tomorrow is the same after today.

Posted by: dave53 | December 11, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I'll take note on Friday during the Mites!

Posted by: WVPhil | December 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

wvphil

Completely agree. I'm more of the patient type, want to see good chances set up. If there's no shooting lane, by all means, DON'T SHOOT.

Nylander is the exception. He has to circle twice before he can shoot. Circle none or once and you know it's a pass.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah there was a guy in the row in front of me that came back during play. Then as he takes his time getting to his seat he then proceeds to get s&@tty with a guy that said something to him about it. Idiots

Posted by: ludeman95 | December 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

WVPhil

Won't be there Friday. We typically do 1 a week or so and let our friends get in on some of the action. We'll be there for the Blues.

As for the two drunk guys, a few rows back and to the left.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 11, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with people making noise, or saying things that reveal hockey ignorance. I'm glad they're interested enough to come to the games.

The only thing that bugs me is when people lean ALL the way forward, even when nobody is sitting in front of them, blocking the view for those behind them.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 11, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy

Just ask them nicely if they will switch seats with you. When they say "Why?" Tell them you cant see past their head and if they want to lean up so far it would be better for you if they sat behind you.

They will think you are being genuine, and will say..."no..I'll sit back...sorry."

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@ShariLeigh131 (from previous thread/post)
"My apologies if this has already been addressed, but can someone enlighten me as to why Giroux got the penalty shot?"

Because the ref. felt that all 5 criteria for a penalty shot had been met:
1.) The fouled player must have possession and control of the puck.
2.) The fouled player must be beyond his defending zone (outside his blue line).
3.) The fouled player must have no opponent to pass except the goalkeeper. 4.) The fouled player must have been
fouled directly from behind.
5.) The fouled player must have been deprived of a reasonable scoring opportunity.

The above rules are USA hockey rules (I'm in USA hockey not the NHL). In awarding a penalty shot I think NHL rules and USA hockey rules are the same.

Having said all of that I would think "being deprived a reasonable scoring opportunity" is debatable.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | December 11, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

The "O" during the anthem drives me out of my mind. We have our own freaking baseball team now.

Posted by: EricCarr | December 11, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@betteroffwithfederov

Rule number 5 is no longer part of the NHL.

Good job on the research...Try the NHL rules next time.

# The player in possession and control (or, in the judgment of the Referee, clearly would have obtained possession and control of the puck) must have been denied a reasonable chance to score.

(NOTE) The fact that he got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If the foul was from behind and he was denied a "more" reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then the penalty shot should be awarded.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I think all the horns should go, since it started makes MCI/Verizon sound like a bad MLS game.

Posted by: The_Spear | December 11, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

For those complaining about horns, people sitting in front of you leaning too much, and people coming back before play has stopped, etc...

be thankful you get to go to the games.
Id pay to be in the arena and stand in the entry way to the bowl area with a bunch of people in front of me.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@The_Spear - I have to respectfully disagree. The original horn guy is usually right on with timing, and its short sweet and to the point...and The crowd responds. Its not a constant pointless horn noise like you get at some soccer games.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy,
I lean forward, but I have to. There is a guard rail right in front of me that totally blocks my view if I don't. I try to crouch down a bit when i do it, but otherwise I can't see.

FFS,
You must be right behind me a few rows back...

Posted by: WVPhil | December 11, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@rdy4all

It's not like we have free seats.....

If they were free, I would care less and deal with it.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but you are fortunate enough to be in the arena, and all those people also paid for their seats as well.

I understand common courtesy, etc..but it could be worse

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 11, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@wvphil: I have the same problem in a different section. What I do is sit all the way back, then lean forward just enough to see over the bar. It's not too bad.

@SA-Town: I'm talking about the people who climb the stairs super-slow, then stand there and try to figure out where they're sitting in the middle of the faction or try to get people to scooch down so they can sit with their friends.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@rdy4all: It really is about common courtesy, and the so-called "puck in play rule" has to be observed by everybody at the game, or the people behind them can't enjoy it. It really is important, because it's very frustrating to miss something major because you had to get up for the person who had to leave RIGHT NOW.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why, if the skater misses the penalty shot, the team is not awarded a PP. I would love to see numbers on the % of penalty shots made, vs. successful power plays. And while the numbers may not back me up, it just seems that it is almost better to get the PP.

Posted by: griffin13 | December 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

on yelling shoot-

honestly, i think they DO need to shoot more. i mean the PP is a little ridiculous with all the passing. and enough passing in the slot: shoot the puck.

Posted by: doughless | December 11, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@rdy4all2000

I feel your pain (if I was living near DC I'd be STH for sure), but lack of common courtesy can really ruin the whole game experience. It's also annoying when people leave in the middle of the action... why do they come in the first place lol...

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

The seats directly in front of mine have different people in them every game. Last night was another leaner.

For the record, the out of tune horn guy sucked.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 11, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the Caps DO pass too much, everytime on the power play, I'm yelling "SHOOT, SHOOT!" if they would shoot more, there will be more rebounds. They're trying too hard get a PERFECT look.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 11, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@EricCarr

what are you a traitor? unless you are really old, everyone from this area should be rooting for the O's and not the expos.

orioles > nationals, forever.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Erskine is the new Wally Pipp. But who gets to be Gehrig: Sloan or Collins?

Alzner's going back to Hershey, Once. Who should the Caps shed when he comes back to stay?

I'd sit Green and Fedorov until the Habs game regardless, and take Ovechkin off the PK/back to 21 minutes soonest. Course, I'd also put diuretics in the visiting locker room and the lisping Brady girl on the Jumbotron whenever Crosby takes the ice, so...

Posted by: redlineblue | December 11, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"O"

Oh please, its no traitor to be a Nats fan, even if they suck. The O's are in Baltimore, not DC. Not only is the "O" irreverant and unnecessary, it's just not our town (and I love Baltimore). Please stop with the O.

Posted by: Sonyask | December 11, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

whenever i can make it up to DC, i will forever shout the "o".

i don't root for the expos.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 11, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Doughless,
I think they need to shoot more too, but they can't shoot from everywhere. It's not like basketball where you can pull up and drain one in someone's grill. You try that in hockey and it's 2 on 1 the other way.

Posted by: WVPhil | December 11, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

griffin13 -

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 11, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't possibly care less about either the Orioles or the Nationals. Baseball bores me to tears.

But my personal preferences aside:

The O is so annoying. This is a hockey game, not a baseball game.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

i could care less about both those baseball teams too, but when i was younger and lived outside DC i would root for the orioles. I don't know why I or anyone else would just switch like that, unless they are really young. The "O" is nostalgic to me. Probably why i like it.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 11, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more on the "Oh". It's a Baltimore thing, not a DC thing.

Posted by: WVPhil | December 11, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@"betteroffwithfederov":

If you like 91 that much, maybe go the extra mile and spell his name correctly?

Posted by: redlineblue | December 11, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

The "O" is annoying and disrepectful. Just the opinion of a vet.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 11, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Lee,
I agree, however, people are going to do it. You can't stop it. That is why I suggested yelling the A before they all yell O.

Posted by: _828 | December 11, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else have an issue with Johnny coming too far out of his crease. So many times last night, had their been a rebound, Boston would have punched it in. There have been a couple of goals scored on him because of that. I guess he can continue to do what he does, however, that makes me nervous.

Posted by: _828 | December 11, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

828,

I know. Just like to voice my opinion. One day, they will all just shut up....

Posted by: Leeguru | December 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Still say that Orioles behavior doesn't belong at a hockey game, plus it's annoying to work with if you're actually singing it.

Otay, next topic. Let's talk Ottawa. I took a brief peer at OTT's stats, and at ours. Anyone else notice that we're at #6 in the league right now? Shhh, nobody tell our naysayers. Can we do better? Yup. Are we doomed? Not hardly. Also, with as many penalties as we take, at #5 for fewest PIM's/G, we play pretty clean hockey. Who knew?

Still, let's not tell that to our boys in the red tomorrow night. My biggest worry about tomorrow is that they're going to blow Ottawa off as an "easy" team and get smacked around (edited - guess WaPo didn't like the simile I used). They have a nasty tendency to do that and it drives me up the wall. Ottawa beat you the last time you met them, boys. Just remember that, and act accordingly. Bring it.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

@WVPhil - A railing is one thing. I'm talking about people who lean when there isn't even a person sitting in front of them. Granted they may be leaning because people are leaning in front of them, etc. Its just one of those things. I end up dodging around people's heads every time the puck is in the zone closest to us.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 11, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how many people are ignorant to hockey eitquette either. Then again I was lucky enough to have a pop that started taking me to games when I was 5. I went to Chicago Blackhawks games in the early 70's as well as Chicago Cougars (WHA) games because Hawks tickets were hard to get. Talk about a crash course in etiquette. Hockey fans in Chicago DO NOT care how old you are, they'll tell you to sit the "F" down even if you're only 5. I know how to do it right now though.

Been a Caps fan since I married a MD girl back in 88 and there's a fairly solid core of fans. Even though it's annoying I've learned to deal with boneheads yelling shoooooooooot when there's not a shooting lane. With this team we can't really have the best of both worlds fellow Caps fans. We are in awe of these guys and their talent level on just about a nightly basis and when Semin gets that "sick" pass to OV for the blinding one timer we all yell OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH because they amaze us. Gotta take the good with the bad, when it doesn't click and that pass doesn't get through you just have to hope we start getting the ugly goals provided by Brash, Brads, Gordo etc.

Our Caps are almost healthy and our call-ups did exactly what we had hoped. They played .500 hockey and kept us atop the SE. I'll admit Johnson stole one for us last night but Boston is one of the few teams that have not suffered a major injury and their goaltending has been solid. We had 24 shots I believe so Manny still had a save pct above 91%. Thanks for the 2 pts Johnny!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 11, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

good point fanhock1: that's my biggest pet peeve with hockey fans. NHL players are the best in the world at what they do. They have scored 100's of goals in their lifetimes (and thousands including practices) so they know when to shoot and when not to shoot.

How many times have you seen a team on the PP get their shot blocked and it leads to a breakaway for the team on the PK? Seems like it happens once or twice a game.

Fans need to chill and be patient while a player makes a breath taking move or sets up a crisp pass so the player can have a clear path to shoot. Its not like any of them don't want to score goals.

Posted by: 202-206 | December 11, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, submitted too early. Disclaimer: I'm taking my first stab at analyses like this. Be nice? :)

I don't know that much about Ottawa's players, but their stats suggest a team that is better defensively than offensively. Their PK is very good, so even strength shots and goals are going to matter. They shoot a fair amount (30ish shots/game) but don't seem to score a lot (does this have to do with quality chances?) Their stats are the pits when the other team scores first, but if they score first are pretty decent at holding a lead. Also, if outshot they're not so great.

A peek at the goalie stats suggests that Alex Auld is likely to get the start unless they lose their minds or an injury is involved. If he gives up a lot of goals, it looks like they're 5-on-5.

So, keys for us:
1 - Don't blow it off. Come out hard.
2 - Score first.
3 - Shoot lots.
4 - 5-on-5 is our friend.

Thoughts?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

@SteveR,

The seats ahead of me two or three seasons ago were corporate. Always had different people (plus the occasional second period instant-upgrade dudes who I got ousted). Every once in awhile there were these guys who stood up constantly for no real reason, like the most mundane pass or hit or something. I would tell them to sit, yell "down in front", tug on their shirt tails, but they were clueless. I think they were South American, so I think their instincts were soccer-based. They got the message - eventually - but it was a painful game.

@Leeguru,

You're right. One day everyone will be dead and can't yell "O". Let it go. yelling O is lame, no disagreement there. The relative patriotism or not is not relevant. Personally, I would love to 86 the anthem before games anyway. It does seem kind of silly to "honor America" when the game is played by mainly Russians and Canadians.

And generally, I sit really close, so even if I motor down between plays, all it takes is one guy in Row L moving slowly or passing nachos down the row to hold me up so I can't make it all the way down by the drop. Knowing that, I give those also down low a bit of a break. The further down (or up) you are, the more accomodating you have to be. 15 seconds is my tolerance zone down loaw. 10 if its in my end. So, if a guy in Row B gets there a little late, cut him some slack, he might have been delayed by the jackass sitting behind you.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 11, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FFSEnough

"What irritates me even more, and it's been discussed before, is the 'O' during the anthem. Wrong city, wrong sport. I enjoy the "RED" though."
________________________________________

Red reminds me of the "stars" thing in Dallas. I dont like copy-cating.

I am also one of those that doesn't like the "O" thing but we've been doing it for +25 years. It wont just go away. Its why we yell A-O instead now. When people yell at us for yelling O we explain and then they said they would do it next time.

The best way to combat things you dont like is to initiate change.
_________________________________________
Posted by: FFSEnough
"Speaking of, last night excluded, we have had some decent talent doing our anthem this year. Kaleb Green is it?"
__________________________________________
Kaleb is the Afro-American dude.... hes been doing it for years and is fantastic. I believe he is either in the Army or Marines men's chorus. Bob McDonald is my personal favorite and hes in the armed forces as well.

Posted by: Groovemaniac | December 11, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@kittypaws:

Dam' right, grrrl--So true: The "Arena Manners" of so many fans these days are atrocious! It almost seems like they're mainly there so that they can SAY that they were--i.e., more interested in "seeing and being seen" than supporting the Caps.

My first 3 or 4 NHL (Caps) games were seen from the 200's--I know, I'm spoiled...Since that job ended it's been almost all "nosebleeds" for me and mine--can't really afford to be a STH.

I never really minded being further from the action--what I do mind is having to CONSTANTLY contort my legs so that people can walk up and down the row non-stop, having to CONSTANTLY crane my neck to see around the people walking up and down the stairs...WHILE THE PUCK IS IN PLAY!!!

People need to realize: if you pay money to see a hockey game, then sit the X&$#% down and WATCH the game.

@FFSEnough:

Thanks for the tip about the TV time-outs; I had usually limited restroom/snack breaks to between periods. Now I know that--if I move (really) fast--I can take care of business as necessary without spoiling other peoples' view of the action

@Griffin13:

"I'm glad you mentioned this. I wish the rules allowed for the team whose player drew the PS to have the option to take either the PS or get a 2 minutes man advantage. PS success rate is about 30% and the PP rate is around 22% but the downside of missing a PS is much greater than the downside of not scoring on a PP, especially if you are granted a PS while on the PK."

Is that something like:

If the VP is such a VIP, maybe we'd better keep the PC on the QT, 'cause if the the VC or the NVA get wind of it, the VP could wind up MIA and we'd all be put on KP.

(Just kidding you).

Seriously, I like the idea of giving the "aggrieved party" the choice of a PS or PP--kind of like in football where the defense can decline the penalty to force the other team to punt...hmmm...

Next victim: Ottawa

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 11, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

If someone's interested:

NYI are desperate, but PIT lost bad yesterday. Might be interesting:

Ana is playing really good lately... but SJS are the best team in the NHL right now. Plus it's a back to back for the Ducks... will they be able to "break" the HP Pavilion?

Why do I sound like a telemarketer? No idea lol...

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

At least the guy standing up in front of you for the action isn't trying to get naked...

And there's nothing wrong with the Expos. :-P Is everyone okay with the new thing of shouting "RED!" during the national anthem? I guess its a bit more original, but I think you have to pick one or the other, not Oh and Red.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys- hope everyone enjoyed their days. If anyone has the NHL network, they are doing a cool profile of our own Steve Kolby right now. Just started.

Stay well! Cant wait until tomorrow.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 11, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl: No, that's the dance cam this season. o.o

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

OK- couple of games ago, I brought a newbee with me who asked why I hated the "O" thing. When I explained that it was a Baltimore Orioles thing (and that no one should copy something coming from a city that leads the modern world in STD's and illiteracy, not to mention crime and is an overall pimple on the ass of society,) They said, "Oh. I thought they yelled "O" for Ovechkin.

She was allowed to stay. I thought it was a cute answer.

Posted by: lamplighter1 | December 11, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40 : LMAO. Great reference

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 11, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Bears at San Antonio tonight. Game starts in a few minutes. Pregame on now. Audio available at
www.sportsjuice.com

Posted by: tess2201 | December 11, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, if only! There was a guy on the glass at the ATL game that kept taking off shirt layers. Then the girls in minis and hooker boots next to him (who kept banging on the glass and yelling at Juice *shudders*) wrote Capitals on his beer gut in lipstick. I think they eventually asked him to leave. It wasn't the best sight of the night for sure. :-P

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl: Are you serious? Ew. I'm glad I didn't see that.

By the by, Carolina is slaughtering Philly o.o 5-1 with a few minutes to go in the second. I'm not sure whether to be happy that Philly is getting stomped or worried about Carolina.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Nittymaki's in net. Explains some of it.
Couple of chances for the Bears, but Walton says they look sluggish. A goal by the Rampage got waved off. Bears getting outshot 15-11. Game 0-0 end of the first.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

I'm watching the game as well. As much as I hate Philadelphia, I want the Caps to have a bigger lead in the division.

By the way, Philly was screwed over by the refs in that second. Missed that boarding penalty, which led to Carolina's 4th goal.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

elicea: Me too. Our lead is narrower than I'd like, and I'm a little nervous about Ottawa tomorrow, if only because this team has a bad habit of dropping games they should win.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

And the Pens are destroying the Islander.

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

... this team has a bad habit of dropping games they should win.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has noticed that about the Caps.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

hmmm I tuned on it out of curiosity and saw a clear slash not called... what's going on with the refs there?

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

They're refs. What's not going on with them?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@elicea

Actually a few has noticed that... but careful, you might be labelled "Gloom and Doom" if you don't fart rainbows talking about our team.

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

mauree,

duly noted :)

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

mauree: Maybe, but man, if talking gloom and doom gets us W's, sign me up! :D

Bluntly, I think tomorrow night is a very winnable game for us, and that's what worries me so much. Our guys have a nasty habit of getting cocky and sloppy and dropping games they should win, and that's what we don't ned right now. Carolina is starting to be scary - Eric Staal is quickly turning into a beast that bears watching, and we can't afford to eff around any longer. We need to buckle down and come out to win every single night.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what game Philly has made this, in the third.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

@kitty

I'm optimistic about tomorrow - especially if Green is coming back.

How about them Flyers! 5-4 from 5-1 and now a PP... and how about Hartnell... an hat trick and he just destroyed Borer in that fight. Scorer AND enforcer.

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Raise your hand if you saw Hartnell getting a hat trick tonight. Geez. And he gets his own charity promotion for the Phantoms on Sunday.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

omg they tied!

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

And they tied it.. wow

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

On one of the flyers goal, was that him with that awesome deflection?

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Carolina has been brought back down to reality.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

*raise hands* :)

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

not sure, i'm not watching the game, just looking at box score. I'm listening to the Bears and trying to catch up on wrapping Christmas presents.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Awesome game, although between the two teams I hate the most.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 11, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

These Philly Flyers commentators are so weird, they're like shouting, it's so annoying

Posted by: rachel216 | December 11, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap, they tied it? I may hate Philly, but I am impressed. DAMN impressed. Coming back from a four goal deficit is an amazing feat.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

From what I'm listening to, with the Bears game, sounds like Tordjman is the difference maker, so far.

@ mauree

Yes, he was the one who made that deflection.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

The difference maker in the 2nd period, that is.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Philly down a man

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

wow I'm curious about that too many men, it didn't look like it.

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Some great saves by Nittymaki.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

*turns on the game again* And it goes to a shootout.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

my goodness what a game!

sorry if I'm going to offend someone, but hockey beat the hell out of football :D

And playoff hockey beat the hell of every sports :D

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Re: the O! thing during the National Anthem... I don't like it. I have never liked it, but I triply don't like it in the wrong venue, in the wrong city. That aside, I find it disrespectful, and so is yelling RED! at that point. It makes it hard on the singers, as well.

Kaleb Green is WONDERFUL on the National Anthem. Last night's performer - who WAS that, anyway? - slaughtered it. :(

And holy cr@p in a hat trick, it looks like the Canes-Flyers game is about to go into a shootout!

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Poor poor poor Carolina.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Philly won, CAR and the refs lost.

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Just ... unbelievable. 6-5 Philly in a shootout, and Philly won that shootout hands-down. That's an incredible comeback. I hate Philly, but I've got to hand it to them for this one. They just did not quit and did not give up, and Niittymaki did a nice job.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm not gonna pity Carolina; it's putting us further ahead in the division. XD

With our win last night, we had 35 points to the Flyers' 34; now the Flyers have 36, but that's OK; we are still ahead of Carolina by 35-30, and it could have closed to 35-31, had the 'Canes held onto that lead they had at the end of the 2nd...

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Individual Game Choke of the Year right there on Carolina.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

The Flyers are a very good team.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 11, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Still 0-0 between Hershey and San Antonio.

3rd period is about to begin.

If anyone isn't listening but want to, here's a link to the radio feed:

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I can't comment on the refing, I didn't watch most of the game (too busy doing housework). But ... just damn. Poor Carolina. They blew a FOUR GOAL LEAD, in a game that would have put them in sneezing distance of the division lead.

Pens 8 - NYI 1 in the 3rd. Just ... yikes :(

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, the ice in San Antonio is worse than the ice at the VC. Walton keeps bringing it up; its making passes difficult for both teams. Although Reid got robbed at the end of the 1st by a dman who played goalie with his own minder was stuck behind the net.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Varlamov just let in a soft one.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

ARGH!!!! San Antonio just scored two. Rampage up 2-0.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Crap! Two quick scores by San Antonio. Now the Bears have a hole to dig out of.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 11, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

And now a bad bounce. Uh oh... 2-0 San Antonio.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

@mauree: I'm glad one of us is. I'm not willing to be optimistic yet - let's see how they play. I worry both about this one and Montreal - our record on the back end of back-to-back is horrid.

Maybe I'm being gloom and doom, but I know better than to trust warm fuzzies.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

VERY deep hole.

Posted by: elicea | December 11, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, 3-0.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

All right, Bears. Time to pull a Philly. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

CRAP! I can't listen to the Bears game; I'm at work. #^!@&*$!@

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

How much time left?

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

About 6 minutes left. Not looking good.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 11, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

D@MN. Come on, boys!!! Unleash the chocolate!

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know when we will find out about ncaa tickets?

Posted by: capshockey1234 | December 11, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

let me elaborate: even if Poti was a bit rusty, I think his return did make a difference. Even if Semin was a bit static, his return did make a difference. And I expect the same will happen if Green comes back. It's also one more game under the belt for Alzner and Collins (who played terrific).

If "dooming" has the effect that we win the game... here we go:

Of course none of this will count if once again we underestimate the game. Isn't it weird that for us it's almost more problematic winning against the Islanders (yes we won but it was tied until 5 mins in the 3rd... PIT was 8-1 after 2) than winning against BOS?

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

haha "Unleash the chocolate!" - priceless :D

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

@mauree - I think that is the whole problem. We have a gross tendency to underestimate "easy" teams - and they walk all over us. If we can beat BOS, we can beat any team in the East, plain and simple, IF we bring the A-game out to play.

The boys have GOT to quit underestimating "easy" teams. There are no easy teams out there, period. All games are the same. We have to play every game to win it.

What is going on with the Bears???

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

@mauree - *bows* Thank you! :)

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@capshockey1234 - since I don't follow the NCAA, I can't help you there... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered: It's over. Bears lose 3-0.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 11, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered - thanks, no probs, did the pre-order through the caps but havent heard anything about ticket holders they selected for the frozen four tickets....

Posted by: capshockey1234 | December 11, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lightshow | December 11, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 11, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Ok here is some more.

I think Semin asked him what I can do to get a girl like that. OVIE's Response. Win League MVP and Score 60+ goals. So Semin had to comeback and start scoring.

Posted by: lightshow | December 11, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

just wanted to mention-
our goalie had an awesome showing last night, and our old dearly beloved godzilla had an awesome night tonight in montreal, beating the canadiens 3-1 and stopping 31/32 shots.

i know the lightning aren't our team, but with a fan favorite olie residing there, it's nice to see them (and him!) succeed too

we miss you 37!

Posted by: jess4caps | December 11, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201 - Snap!!! :(

Well, the Bears' next game is at Houston on the 13th... hopefully, they will win that one and start a new franchise-record winning streak! Kudos to them for the wins they got prior to tonight, anyway.

@jess4caps - Good to hear about Kolzig; his record hasn't been so very hot this year...

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@jess

mixed feelings... nice he won... but sucks that MTL will have more spark to win.

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought Ovie was dating Ekaterina Somebodyorother...

Posted by: irockthered | December 11, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

The Blueline was solid last night,Jurcina using his body, Poti being a leader after the whistle. Ovie taking on that frankenstein monster Chara and then giving him a facewash. Gotta love that. We take that attitude on the road and good things will happen.

Posted by: ergoroc | December 11, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Wait. We're talking about who Ovi is dating? Cripes, we are bored.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Well she was here for the ISLANDERS game and its all over in Russia. She is really popular there and was named to something like 100 sexiest woman in the world.

Posted by: lightshow | December 11, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik: I seem to recall reading, near the beginning of the season, that #8 had asked that his nickname be spelled Ovi. I can't remember where or how I found that, but I just remember it and I've been spelling it Ovi ever since. I see the "Ovi" spelling in all official Caps outlets, when they use it (which isn't often) but nowhere else. Am I on crack?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@pawz

they seem to agree with you here:

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Also, it's nearly time for me to hit the sheets, but picked up from Japer's Rink is this little screen grab of the Boston Globe this morning.

Enjoy. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | December 11, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

hehe needless to say I checked out the Globe to see if it was still there :D

Passing out while watching ANA-SJS, what a game, these two teams are so good, they're a treat to watch.

Posted by: mauree | December 11, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse