Green Feeling 'A Lot Better'

The Caps did not practice today in San Jose as originally scheduled. Instead, Coach Bruce Boudreau gave the players the day off to rest and recover from what has been a grueling stretch.

After watching them slog through the first period of last night's 5-2 loss in Los Angeles, that's probably the right call. The whole team looked spent, especially early.

When they return to the ice tomorrow, it's going to be interesting to see which, if any, of the injured players are able to suit up against the NHL-leading Sharks.

Defenseman Mike Green (bruised shoulder) is reportedly improving faster than expected and might play. Sergei Fedorov (sprained ankle) also might be able to go for the first time in eight games. But the prognosis for Alexander Semin (strained upper back/shoulder) isn't as good. He's doubtful, though he hasn't been ruled out of Monday's contest in Minnesota.

"You try not to think about it, but those are three pretty good players," Boudreau said.

To be exact, the trio has amassed a combined 24 of the Caps' 64 goals.

"There's very few teams in the league that can withstand losing three topnotch players and still be as good consistently," Boudreau added. "That being said, we're trying to put it behind us. And we don't think about it. If they're not there, they're not there."

As far Green's injury, the Caps feared the worst yesterday. But his MRI came back negative and today he's feeling "a lot better."

"I'm not ruling him out of anything," Boudreau said. "At the same time, we're going to make sure he's ready to play before we put him back in."

The Sharks, meantime, will unveil their alternate uniforms tomorrow night. It's called BlackArmor because, well, it's all black.

And, since I know you're going to ask, I haven't heard anything new regarding the Michael Nylander to Chicago rumors that have taken on a life of their own the past 24 hours.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 21, 2008; 4:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Nylander on the Move?
Next: Tallon: Byfuglien's Name 'Never Mentioned'

Comments

first woo hoo

Posted by: capsfan01111 | November 21, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

If we get one of the two players mentioned (Buf or Sop), we'll have cap room. However, that deal cannot be made. Chicago doesn't have the cap room to take on Nylander without giving up more than Buf. Say they go with Buf and Sop. Then we have the cap issue. Together, Buf and Sop carry 5.5M of cap hit. Nylan carries 4.6. That makes us .9M more cap hit. We can't handle that.

Another team has to be involved. I doubt if Buffalo is involved.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 4:14 PM

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick thought about 'black armor'. Lots of teams said once upon a time that its easier to screen a goalie with black pants because the puck can't be picked up. So here's my poll question: should teams be allowed to have uniforms the same color as the puck? Does it give an advantage? Is it fair to ask more than one question? you be the judge...

Posted by: oo7 | November 21, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any word on who's starting in net tomorrow?
Any pictures of Jose's new mask yet? Time to upgrade to the 21st century and get a digital camera. Thanks

Posted by: tURBO8 | November 21, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Mikey's youth and conditioning are showing again. Let's hope he is ready when he plays. I'd rather he sit and not push his/our luck.

C'mon Tarik, can't you throw a little fuel on the Nylander rumor fire. You know people aren't nearly as stirred up about the rumor as they could be. :)

Posted by: _Mark | November 21, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Nothing is set in stone re: the starter for tomorrow night. But I'm willing to bet it will Johnson, who is 7-1-1 with a 1.54 gaa and .928 sv% all time vs. the Sharks.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 21, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik any new updates on Nylander to Chicago?

Sorry, I had to that.

Different question: What happened to Friday chats?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 21, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

For those who will get tired of a particular commercial during the game tomorrow night:

Posted by: Section117 | November 21, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

If you are staying at the Fairmont Hotel, they have a great steak, and usually have bands in the lobby at night.

I hear 100% of the traveling teams stay there as well.

No need to leave the place at all.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Dare I suggest that a Nylander trade for Byfuglien+picks might involve the Caps paying part of Nylander's salary? I surely hope not but it has happened before.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | November 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of that ad. Also the Pulty Homes one. We've been hammered with those two ads now for 3 years or more. I've pretty much decided that if I ever build a home I'll not use them.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't do that any more. If you have the player, you have the salary.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 21, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Saved by zeroooooooooooo

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | November 21, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I didn't really feel like it was hockey season until the first time I heard the Pulte Homes song!

Posted by: _jordan | November 21, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Did that not apply to Jagr's deal because it happened before the current cap limits were put in place?

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | November 21, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town,

I'm across the street from the Fairmont. I'm all about Marriott points.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 21, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"That's the way it should be, ahhh, that's the way it should be."

Thank you so very much for putting that song in my head.

And, despite hating the Toyota commercial, I still like the Fixx. Probably shows my age.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | November 21, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

BlackArmor is also a product by Symantec, which is a corporate sponsor of the San Jose Sharks. ugggh.

Posted by: ChrisinSS | November 21, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Too many teams have black jerseys anymore.

Posted by: _jordan | November 21, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChrisAm | November 21, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey locals - tomorrow night. Who's up for a meetup, a couple of $ADULT_BEVERAGE_PLURAL, and a hockey game on the big screen? I know a few of us were talking about it but nothing was ever decided. We could go to Front Page in Arlington, or maybe to RFD near the VC (not too familiar with it).

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I'm asking again, but is there anything to do after Bears games, or do most fans just head home? Any good places to grab drinks? I'll be up there tomorrow for the game. Looking forward to it!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Also, opn the subject of commercials - the Levi's commercial where the guys were doing acrobatics into their pants was plain odd.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Mike is feeling better. I have a soft spot in my heart for that young man. Now if Mo can just get it together, I think all will be good. I believe part of Mike's struggle with his defensive game has been the funk that Mo seems to be in.

I think we will continue to see the third jersey and/or black jerseys until fans stop buying them. If the Caps get a Winter Classic in the next few years, I will probably feel compelled to buy on of those jerseys. Unless they are a dorky light powder puff blue.

Posted by: Kim-3 | November 21, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Now Kim, what marketing department would be dorky enough to create powder puff blue sweaters? In such a manly game as hockey, certainly none of the pro teams.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, jmu. Now I have an image of Sidney Crosby flouncing out onto the ice in powder-puff blue and skates with little pompons on them.

Thank you.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

You are absolutely welcome, kittypawz. Although I must give credit to Kim-3 for reminding me and setting it up so perfectly.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I shall treasure it forever, both of you. In fact, some of my best mental images come from hockey - like the one I use when my boss pisses me off - I envision hip-checking him headfirst into the bench. What the hell, makes me smile. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahaha. And here I am thinking that they keep talking about the Penguins moving to Kansas City. I've been considering a move out there, but I don't think I could handle Crysby playing for my hometown team.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

@jmu
Glad you're making the trip to Hershey. Do you know yet where you're sitting? I'm in 119. The popular watering hole with the players and young crowd is a place called Shakeys. It was in danger of being sold and closed down but as far as I know it's still open. Also the Bears Den in the Hershey Lodge/Convention Center is good. A little more sedate than Shakeys, but good food and lots of TVs. There's probably other places around town that I'm to old to know about. Maybe Jordan or one of the others that comment of here can help.

To all: if you need a hockey fix tonight, the Bears are at Philly starting at 7:00 and you can listen on
www.sportsjuice.com

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

jmu:

Priceless...

Posted by: Fro_ | November 21, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Tess, Jordan and I are both headed up there tomorrow. Our seats are in 120. Thanks for the info. I'm meeting a friend there who's from the area, but this is her first Bears game, so it should be interesting.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Fro_, thanks! I'm better with Photoshop, but Paint gets the point across. Glad you liked it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

nice work JMU! that made me snort. you have to get tjat onto the pens blog! hahaha

Posted by: oo7 | November 21, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Giroux!!! 1-0 Bears!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

or Mink!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

and Gordon!!! Holy cow.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

jmu: Look for a red Fedorov jersey in sec. 119.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

tess, will do!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

WILSON!

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

And Varlamov and McNeill get assists (does that give you an idea of how fast the goal happened?)

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Bouchard/Perreault/Osala at 3:03 in the second. Can we clear some cap space and bring these guys up?

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, Only if the whole line comes up and stays together. What line do we get rid of to make space?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Those three guys together are such fun to watch. They are so quick and have some really pretty moves. Bouchard has a spin move that he used on a shootout one night that totally fooled the Norfolk goalie. And Osala is a big boy and not afraid to camp in front of the net. I hope when they do move up to the Caps, they all move up together. It would be a shame to break up the line.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

tess, They're definitely one of the main things I"m excited about for the game tomorrow. Can't wait to see them in action!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

*puts on the joke hat*

Brash/Nylander/Clark? :D

All kidding aside, I misspoke. I'd been thinking "guys from Hershey" when I wrote that, but I am waiting to see what happens with the Nylander trade rumors. I like Nylander but I think we could really benefit from a trade.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

jmu: at one point last Sunday the Bears had five rookies on the ice: Perreault/Osala/Bouchard up front, Alzner and Josh Godfrey on D. Machesney was in net that night and he's only a second year player. Some years if you saw that many rookies on the team it would mean a pretty bad team, but not this year. We have a terrific crop of kids this year and that bodes well for the Bears AND the Caps for the next decade.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

(I'm listening to the Bears broadcast on sportsjuice.com)

Our boys in brown need to stay the hell out of the box :(

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

tess, It certainly does bode well. The fact that we've got talent down in SC too just adds even more. The Stingrays are 10-3 so far, although they're down 3-1 starting the 3rd, Goepfert in net.
Aaaannnd, the Spectrum is falling apart.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

For those not listening:

Bears up 5-2, 11:00 remaining in the third. They've given up on the scoreboard in the Spectrum and are keeping time by hand.

SC down 3-2, 17:41 remaining.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I've ever heard anything like that in my years of hockey....the public address announcer counting down the final minute of the game. No wonder John couldn't keep from laughing through those final minutes. That place is an absolute hole!

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Game is over, final score 5-2 Bears. Rats 5, Spectrum scoreboard 0. They kept time by hand for most of the third amid amusing color commentary.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

And oh yea, the final was Bear 5--Philly 2.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, tess. They're knocking it down at the end of this year for a reason. :D

Good game to listen to; would like to go to the Bears game tomorrow, but a friend is taking her parents up there, and the last time I crossed paths with her parents, blood nearly got drawn. Better if I stay down here, find a watering hole, and go watch the San Jose game with whoever I can find in the way of my fellow Caps fans.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 21, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Lacroix just tied up the SC game. 4 minutes left.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping the Bears can beat the Sound Tigers tomorrow... that's going to be an interesting matchup.

I do so hope Green will be fit to play tomorrow. Ditto on Fedorov, but ONLY if he's fit. *FINGERS CROSSED!*

Posted by: irockthered | November 21, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Stingrays lose to the Sea Wolves in a shootout. Final score 4-3.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

re: TV commercials. We all like the Boudreau commercial with the, "What about the cupholder? I need a ... really big cupholder."

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 21, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 21, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Not quite that cold, but pretty chilly. It was 26 last time I went outside.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | November 21, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't remind me about the deal where we paid a part of Jagr's salary for years. I am so glad he tanked last season and could not activate his option year - that finally got us off the hook on that contract.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 21, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Third jerseys - I love 'em. The Caps should come back with their old black jerseys for their third jersey.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 21, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

As for Saved by Zero, my kids can't believe that's an actual song. I think I even saw the Fixx back at the old 9:30 Club on F Street (not too far from where the Caps now play). Man, that was a great club...

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 21, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

CAP-lanta:
I dig the black sweater ... and I think the boys look tough in 'em! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 21, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Meh, does the league need another black jersey to sell?

Posted by: Section117 | November 22, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

CAP-lanta

what was that club across F St from 9:30? It had columns/pillars on the front of the building. I saw some crazy stuff go down in front of that place.

Posted by: large23220 | November 22, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

9:30 WAS a great club? No, still is a great club.

I've seen...

Smashing Pumpkins
The Cult
3rd Eye Blind
Blind Melon
Badfish
The Bravery
The Ocean Blue
Incubus

I can't even remember all the bands...

Posted by: JSchon | November 22, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

The Slickee Boys at the 9:30 circa 1979 -- I'm still hungover.

Posted by: uncatim | November 22, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

The 9:30 Club -- my favorite: The Pretenders.

I'm still amazed that a woman who intentionally looks trashy with her heavy black eye makeup and hair in her eyes is still as sexy now as she was when I first saw her when MTV arrived on the air. Her pussycat in heat voice doubles the attraction.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | November 22, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Joe B/rw-c: You are right, Chrissie & The Pretenders early stuff is great and I dig the new album as well.

Posted by: uncatim | November 22, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

My niece called her uncatim yesterday (I know -- third person fine) to tell me that she will be wearing her Ovechkin shirt tonight at the sharks game. She is taking her boyfriend to see his first hockey game and she scored 6th row seats. I'm so proud.

Posted by: uncatim | November 22, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I was just reading a blog from the San Jose Mercury News. Fans there are giving lots of love to Ovie. Had to laugh at comment #27 on the list (about Greenie).

Posted by: tess2201 | November 22, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Tess: That is great. That is also the only new hockey information that the San Jose Mercury News has to offer.

Posted by: uncatim | November 22, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

SO, thoughts. Who do we get back tonight? Am thinking Green and Fedorov. Hoping for Semin too, if he is fully healthy, but I realize that might not happen.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 22, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The new Sharks 3rd jerseys aren't bad, but without anything at the bottom they look like practice jerseys.

A little scared about tonight, especially if Green can't go.

Posted by: ranndino | November 22, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I like the new third jerseys, but I'm a sucker for sweaters with laces.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 22, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha, see that's the problem with young millionaire athletes. We see them and think, 'why didn't they show up for the game? Why is there no intensity?" Its because they started their evenings drinking, then hit on pretty blonds, then the pretty blond finds out how much the well dressed Canadian earns ("Where's Canada? Is that in Montreal?"), then said canadian goes back to the hotel with pretty blond, then its 5am and said canadian is telling pretty blond that she can't stay in the room all night because his roomie wants to come back in and get some sleep. Next day, said Canadian is tired, hungover, and itchy.

I'd like to be young(er) again, but htis time I want to be rich.

Posted by: oo7 | November 22, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm off to Hershey!

No lineup posted, though - RATS! I was hoping to get that before I left home....

LET'S GO CAPS AND BEARS!!!

Posted by: irockthered | November 22, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Caps win by 2. And as stated before, the Caps will be the only team that has not lost in regulation after tonights game.

Consider it done.

Posted by: _828 | November 22, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

dint they lose in regulation against LA?

Posted by: oo7 | November 22, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@007 - 828 meant has not last at home. Right now the sharks and the caps have not lost in regulation at home.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 22, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Ah, muchas gracias, Sombrero. Las cervezas tardan un tiempo largo para dejarme. Lo pensé todo el abrazo.

Posted by: oo7 | November 22, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey large23220,

That club was "The Bank" - it was an actual bank long before it became a club. I went there once - I still remember the gorgeous latinas dancing there.

Other 9:30 Club fans: great lists. I saw Cyndi Lauper there (before she became huge) and she came down off the stage and danced with us on the floor.

Sorry, one more: remember d.c. space? 7th and E? I used to see local band 9353 play there all the time.

OK, back to hockey!