Mike Green nominated for Norris Trophy

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Mike Green was named a Norris Trophy candidate for the second straight year this afternoon. The other two nominees are Los Angeles' Drew Doughty and Chicago's Duncan Keith.

Green, the leading scorer among defensemen with a career-best 76 points and plus 39 in 75 games, was edged by Boston's Zdeno Chara last season, and figures to be involved another tight vote this time around based on my informal poll of fellow hockey writers.

Doughty, 20, had 16 goals and 43 assists, led all defensemen in game winners with 5 and was a plus 20 for the Kings. Keith had 14 goals, 55 assists and was a plus 21 for the Blackhawks. At 26, Keith is the elder statesman of the trio.

Votes were due just prior to the first game of the playoffs. The winner will be announced at the NHL Awards show in Las Vegas on June 23.

"It would be an honor to be a part of that," Green said before the announcement was made. "But I just hope it's an individual goal that comes along with a Stanley Cup."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 23, 2010; 12:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In playoffs, Caps are digging deeper
Next: Ovechkin on spraying young Habs fan with ice: 'I just do it all the time'

Comments

Congratulations Mikey. Now kick some Habs butt.

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position".

I would be shocked and pleased if this was awarded to Mike Green.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 23, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Way to go, Greener! Have a great game tonight to celebrate!

Posted by: yosemite_sam | April 23, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

This can't be the Same Mike Green that has some of hockey's so called experts trading him,or benching him.

Congrats to one of THE BEST in the LEAGUE. Nominated last two seasons.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 23, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Also...looks like Halak in Net for the Habs.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 23, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

If Paul Coffey can win it 3 times, maybe Lambo has a real shot.

The numbers back him up, and I don't think the other two have been nominated before.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Haters to the left please.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 23, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

oh, mine! this is devastating news for some of the bloggers ... LOL.

Posted by: hock1 | April 23, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Again, I don't care...but he is not the "best" defensive defenseman in the league. To me, that is a joke.

But, neither are the others on the ballot.

And, if he was so good, why isn't hear wearing a gold medal for Canada right now?

Lastly, I do appreciate and respect his quote..."I hope this is an individual honor that comes along with the Stanley Cup!"

For that quote, I am glad to hear he has his eyes on the REAL prize!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

While it would be nice for Green and the Caps organization, I feel Doughty is the best of the three nominated. And there are a few not nominated that should be....Shea Weber being the most obvious and guys like Lidstrom and Chara are still easily in the top 5, if not top 3.

Posted by: marksman37 | April 23, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Coffey was worse than Green in his own zone but he put up much better offensive numbers than Green... don't think Green can win the Norris unless he scores 90 to 100 points

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Technically, it isn't a "nomination."

He's one of the top three vote getters for the award, which he should be.

Posted by: CapsNut | April 23, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Be nice to see Carlson up for this in a year or two.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I realize this is a regular season award but I'd feel better about the nomination if I wasn't always spotting #'s 52 and 55 on the ice near the goal when Les Habitants are celebrating a puck in the net (though at least it's not Sid). Still seems like Greener is caught between his natural instincts to head up ice and his awareness of critics telling him that defenseman are supposed to stay back.

Posted by: McKinley2 | April 23, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps: the award is not for best "defensive" defenseman. That's why Green is up there in votes.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Green's d-game has definitely improved this year. Also, i think is becoming much more restrianed when it comes too taking a chance on pinching in on the puck and sitting back and establishing defensive position against opposing players. i only expect him to get better!!

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Mike!

I'd love to see him take home the Norris and then the NHL can finally make an award for the Best offensive Defensman (never understood why they had a Selke but nothing on the other side), and then maybe he can take that award and Shultz and Carlson can fight for the Norris. Then of course, Fehr should take home the Selke, Ovi gets the Ross, Backs with the Masterson, Varly for Vezina, and the Caps for the Stanley!

In all seriousness, way to go Mike and lets hope Carlson takes home the Calder next year.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 23, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps,
I assume that you have watched most of the NHL teams play since you seem so sure that Green is not the "best" defensive player. I haven't, so I can't compare, or better said, I can only compare him to the few that I have seen, but that is besides the point. My question to you who is the best defensive guy in the league and why?

As for your question as to why he is not wearing a gold medal for Canada, well, a I think you know why. But your implication that only the best were playing on the Olympics is erroneous, the selections were made by a few on what they thought it would be the best fit for their respective team, not necessarily the best players were selected. Do you think that because Canada won the gold medal that the best defense-men on the NHL are on that team? If so then one must conclude that the best goalies and the best forwards are wearing gold, but that would be wrong, don't you think?

Anyway, the Norris will be an honor for whoever wins it, but it would not diminish the accomplishment of the others. I think Green is an outstanding offensive player which confuses or blinds many people on his defense play. I never thought the Caps could replace Gonchar, but they did.

Posted by: hock1 | April 23, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

WTG, Green! Now FINISH THEM, CAPS!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Good for him to be nominated, but I'll be surprised if Doughty doesn't win.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 23, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree he hasn't brought his A-game to the playoffs, offensively or defensively, but it has no bearing on Norris consideration. He and Schultz seemed really solid in game 3 and then they seemed to just not hit or keep up with anybody in game 4.

I don't expect them to be Chris Pronger or whomever, but when they were doing well in the regular season they seemed to break up plays and rub wingers out on the boards, rather than back away and stand around. Maybe Montreal's just too quick.

I'm glad Greener got nominated, and who knows, maybe it'll motivate him to play more like he's capable of in the playoffs. I hope tonight is his breakout game. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Mike Green!

Posted by: letsgocaps3 | April 23, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Not that the poll means anything, but the From the Rink blog has a little poll that Greener is running away with. I just voted :)

Japer's Rink is there in the comments thread there defending Mike's honor. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 23, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

congrats Greenie! Go out and pop a few in tonight to celebrate.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | April 23, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm as big a Caps fan as anyone. But Green does not deserve the Norris. In fact, I suspect John Carlson will make Green highly disposable in the not too distant future.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 23, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Keith should win this one. He is the best all around defensive player. I think Green needs to tighten his play in the defensive end before he wins this award.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | April 23, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

As a Kings/Caps fan, I am conflicted. Green is an incredibly explosive offensive talent who's defense is under-rated. Given the Caps high pressure offense, he does get caught out of position a bit, but how many times have we seen him come back and due a diving poke check. And a solid rear guard who helps transition out of the zone, an under-appreciated DEFENSIVE skill. Is he the best "defensive player" in the league? No. But, "Best defenseman"? A worthy candidate. I thought he was the best of the three last year, so the voters "owe him" this year.

Doughty, frankly, is now my favorite player in the league, replacing long time fav and now dead-to-me Sharks D Rob Blake. But, I don't want him to win. Too much, too soon. I think he is a more even in his skill set than Green (i.e., not as offensive, but better defensively). If you haven't seen much of him, tape the VAN-LAK game tonight and watch it later and focus on #8 (we're used to that skill here). Sound positionally, good PP QB, mature beyond his years on a team that is young. He will win many of these in the next ten years, just not sure this is the right year.

Keith, I didn't see nearly as much as the other two, but he strikes me as similar to Doughty. As long as he doesn't win, I'll be happy for Mike or Drew.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 23, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Love Greenie, but he simply isn't the all-around player as Doughty or Keith. Too much offense and too many TO's on defense to consider him the league best defenseman.

I've always looked at Lidstrom as the standard to which a defenseman should be measuremnt for the Norris Tropy. Green is the best offensive defenseman in game bar none, but he's not in the class of Doughty, Keither, or even Shea Weber as a two-way defenseman. Once he improves on defense a bit more, than I'd make him the favorite.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 23, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to one of my favorite Caps! Way to go, Greenie! I hope you win the Norris.

Go get the Habs tonight!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 23, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

anyone know if there is a live stream of the game tonight? I'm stuck at work and don't have access to the TV!! HELP!!

Posted by: arioch666 | April 23, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Green has not helped his cause by being undressed on a few goals in the playoffs when everyone is watching.

Duncan Keith on the other hand has been spectacular (yes, I do watch EVERY NHL Playoff game) against the Preds.

As a Caps fan, I will root for a Cap to win the Norris, but I think this one belongs to Keith.

Would be great to see Carlson with the Calder and Green with the Norris next year.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | April 23, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Last year, I said no, 52 didn't deserve it. He was high-powered, but he was virtually one-dimensional: an offenseman.

This year, he's much improved despite his lower goal total. He's become much more reliable.

I am comfortable saying this despite Game 2 being his worst in 20 games or so.

He is much better at controlling puck carriers. He is much more aggressive in his own end in terms of showing a commitment to blocking shots.

He has become a defenseman this year, and when you combine that with his incredible offensive upside, that seals the deal. This year, I say he deserves it.

Posted by: large23220 | April 23, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, well, maybe this will inspire him to play a bit better this game...

Posted by: grahamdumas | April 23, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Green is a mediocre to weak defenseman. That is the part of the game he needs to continue to improve. He has disappeared in the playoffs just like last year. Him and Shultz are a terrible combination.

Posted by: la_terp | April 23, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

What am I reading on these comments? How can you be a Washington fan and like Mike Green? Not only is he not the best defenseman, he might be the worst. They better trade this guy. How many times can the guy be responsible for giving scoring chances to the other team before you will no longer like him. He can shoot, but he is a dumb player that is awful under pressure. GREEN has to go!

Posted by: jrednoring | April 28, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse