Mike Green Nominated for Norris Trophy

Mike Green, the NHL's leading scorer among defensemen this season, was named a finalist for the Norris Trophy this afternoon, joining perennial nominees Zdeno Chara and Nicklas Lidstrom, who has won the honor six of the past seven seasons.

"It's definitely a big honor and I'm very proud," Green said. "It's been a long season and to be rewarded like that is pretty special. I never really thought that [this] would ever happen. But here it is."

"But like I said, I'm worried about tomorrow," he added. "So I apologize for my answer."

It's a well-deserved honor for Green, who enjoyed a season for the ages despite being limited to only 68 games because of injury and illness. With 31 goals, the 23-year-old became the first defenseman in 16 years to eclipse the 30-goal plateau. Green scored 18 of them on the power play, one short of the NHL record held by then-Montreal Canadien Sheldon Souray.

Green also set an NHL record for consecutive games with a goal by a defenseman with eight and posted a plus/minus rating of plus 24, second-best on the team behind Alexander Semin.

While I think Green's got a pretty good shot -- the Professional Hockey Writers submitted their votes last week -- he's facing some stiff competition in Chara and Lidstrom, veteran anchors whose teams finished ahead of the Capitals in the regular season.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 23, 2009; 12:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Mike Wise Says It's Not Over
Next: Video Update: Mixed Emotions at Kettler

Comments

Congrats to Mike.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

It's Chara's this year. Half of me is glad of that. Green's had a huge year - big contract, big numbers on offense, pretty decent numbers on D. But he's getting a big head. IMHO.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 23, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Reposting from last thread, and ironically, my comment concerns Greenie:

Ok, I'm not reading every comment word-for-word, but I'm seeing comments that Mike Green is "sleepwalking", that's he's "not earning his pay". It's just my opinion, but I say he's playing hurt. He hasn't been right since game 1 when he got tripped up by Avery. Knee problem, groin problem, I don't know, but something is not right physically.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 23, 2009 12:10 PM

Posted by: tess2201 | April 23, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

If he receives this trophy it is a travesty unless the only criteria for this trophy is most goals scored.

He rarely hits anymore and causes a great number of turnovers. Move him to offense. That's the only game he wants to play anymnore.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think Mike Green would give up the Norris in a minute to have one good punch at Avery's face.

Thats the kind of guy he is.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 23, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Tess

You may well be right. I thought of that last night watching him. He wasn't motoring like he did before. I'm wondering if it isn't his shoulder or something. He got pounded a few times during this series.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

If he's that hurt take him out of the line up. He caused too many turnovers last night and was ineffective.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Great for Mike, though I bet a lot of those writers are wishing they could have their vote back after watching him in these playoffs.

Chara deserves it, IMO.

Posted by: Rompy | April 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It's kinda like Morrison with his injuries last year...
I say he didn't cost us last night...but if Green is hurt I think you put him on the second PP unit and Poti or Pothier out there....

I think that's what is effecting the Power Play bar none...I'm almost thinking it's his shoulder....he seems to mess with it and it also almost looks like one side is a touch bigger than the other as to where he has extra padding possibly on it????

Who knows...let's hope we get on King Henrik early in game 5....

Posted by: rdiehljr | April 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

In the last half of the season I have seen him just let guys skate into the goal on a breakaway and he's essentially behind them just watching them. I don't see the hustle that is required by a Norris trophy candidate. A defenseman who can score is, but this team has offense. It needs someone who will hustle and check. Until he puts that back into his game, it will be a shame if he's awarded this trophy.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I think there's little doubt he's hurt right now. I can't find any other explanation for 3 1/2 games of poor play. At this point, and speaking of point, I'd like to see a passer/stay-at-home guy on the point on PP#1 if Green is actually hurt. I think Feds would be excellent in that role while maybe reducing his 5-on-5 ice team to help his legs. If Green isn't hurt, then I'm sure BB knows how to get him out of the funk.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

He shouldn't even be in the running. He's not a defenseman on most nights, he's a forward.

To even put him and Chara in the same breath is an insult to the trophy and to Chara. Chara is a dominating defender. Mikey is a slick skating closet forward.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The Norris should go to the best DEFENSEman, that means playing defense...Green is a far cry from that...he has been exposed in the playoffs.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

We haven't won anything substantial in over a decade...are you guys satisfied with regular season SE division titles? Cause I could care less about those banners!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

How about Ovie-Backstrom-Green combo?

Posted by: 555Mass | April 23, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@lyle. I don't think any is wholly satisfied with SE banners. This is the second playoff series for this team - as composed from the rubble of the blow up - and the series isn't over.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Mike Green, Norris Trophy nominee! Now go out and SCORE FREAKING GOALS!

I think the voter can't snub a 30 goal d-man. It just doesn't happen that often.

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

He played hard the last month of the season and he played hard in game 1. Then I start reading comments from Boudreau saying he didn't need Mike Green to "impress anyone with his hitting". There you go. Green got some advice from his coach and he's taking it, and boy its done wonders for his game!

Bruce should just put 5 forwards on the ice at all times. That would fit in better with his coaching philosophies.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what your point is here. The Caps gave up 4 goals in game 1 and just about everyone is in agreement that 2 were very very soft goals by Theo. Besides that the entire Caps team, including Green, have allowed a grand total of 7 goals against and less than 25 shots against. If you want Mike Green to play D, he is. His O numbers are down in the playoffs, not his D play.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Lets put this in perspective. If Mike Green was even a respectable defensive player he'd be almost a shoe-in. The fact that he's not a legitimate threat to Chara shows you how mediocre his defensive play really is. You don't score 30 goals and still not be a front-runner unless your defense is avg to below avg. The guy is a liability on most nights.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Caps are 4th best in Goals Against in the playoffs behind Det, Van, Boston. Defense isnt close to the problem.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 23, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Green shouldn't win it. But at least he'll make the all star team next season.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 23, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Green was much much much improved on defense this year. His goal scoring brought him a lot of attention, but to say he's a bad defenseman is, I'm sorry, plain ignorant and just spewing out propaganda without examining it critically.

Tess, I'm not sure if Green is hurt, if its the suggested stalker situation that's causing him to lose sleep and generally be a mental wreck, or some combination of both. Regardless, clearly something is wrong, and that's a real shame.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Please convince me Green is having a good series?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

HE IS A RESPECTABLE D-MAN. CHECK YOUR FACTS AND QUIT HATING!

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

lyle, voting for the various NHL trophies happens between the end of the regular seasona nd before the strat of the post season. These trophies are determined by the regular season alone. The post-season has nothing to do with it.

And, as you'll note above, I said that soemthing is clearly wrong with Green during this series.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

there's nothing ignorant about it. If he was a good defenseman, his goal total alone would virtually guarantee him the Norris. We all know thats not gonna happen.

And he hasn't improved this season in his own end, I'd say he's gotten even lazier. You'd think after he got his pocket picked so easily which led to a critical goal against us in last year's playoffs that he'd come to the rink this year with a renewed determination to improve his defensive game. But he came in high off his contract and frankly, you cant blame the guy. It seems the Caps are happy if he pots his goals, defense be damned.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread: @cstanton1 and doughless: How about a wager? I will bet each of you a pizza ($15) that the Caps come back and win this series. If you want in let me know, and I swear, if they get eliminated by the Rangers I will be on this post the next day to get your info to send you a check. I expect the same though. Let me know if you're in. I look forward to enjoying my two pies for game 1 between the Caps and Devils or Caps and Penguins.

doughless said no thanks. Like I said cstanton1, if the Caps get knocked out by the Rangers I will come and get your info to send you your winnings. I won't called you a traitor or a bad fan or anything, I will simply acknowledge you won, and pay up.

I am this confident the Caps, including our Norris Trophy Candidate, Mike Green, will solve Lundqvist and take the series.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Well there are plenty of opinions on Green. His defense has improved this year as did his offense. No surprise that he was nominated for the Norris. I don't know if he will win the Norris or not, but it won't be a travesty if he does. Chara has had a pretty good year as well and Lidstrom is Lidstrom. Congratulations on him being nominated and I hope he wins.

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 23, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

didn't see that msg previously Fanock. No problem at all buddy. In fact, you don't have to buy me a pizza. The Caps aren't going to win this series. But I will buy you one if it happens. Thats on record here and if I welch on it I couldn't show my face here again. So no problem, I will be happy to buy you a pie. Where do you live?

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

btw, why would you even think of calling me a traitor or bad fan? that's completely irrelevant to this discussion. I'm not saying that I HOPE the Rangers win, I'm just saying that I know they'll win and I called it before the series started and I said it would be 6 games or less. So far I'm right on track. Has nothing to do with being a bad fan.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

fanohock:

i was done posting today, but you mention me. full disclosure, please. cstanton can make his/her own decision. i never bet against my team.from last thread.....

fan:

dude, i may be down on the Caps, but I am a Caps fan. not gonna bet against the team. you and rantdino would then call me out as a d-bag.

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah fanohock1 - there are a lot of toothless fans here. Ppl who don't put up or shutup.

Like the moron who said Greenie should sit down cause he's hurt. Ummmm how will that help us again when there is NO other 30 goal scorer on our team?

Or the tennis fairie above who thinks that defense has been the problem in this series & blames it all on Green.

Wow - lots of noobs to hockey I guess.
Outshooting the other team by 50 shots & the GAA is 1.75 how is that Green's fault on defense again?

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I read prior to the series that a key for the Rangers was going to be to disrupt Green's rushes up the ice and not let him carry the puck without contact. The Rangers did a good job of getting in his way and being physical with him when the puck was near at the start of the series. Whether he is hurt or not, he has backed off into more of a defensive posture. I give some credit to the Rangers for neutralizing him, but there must be more to it then meets the eye.

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Did they give up last year when it was 3-1 philly? No, why would they give up this year?

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

again Rocc00, two numbers say it all: rangers 3, caps 1. plain and simple: Caps are being outplayed.

all season & druring this series fans yelling MVP and now Norris Trophy crap. wrong focus "FANS". win the SERIES, screw the individual trophies!!! one trophy matters and the team as now composed will likely not possess it: Lord Stanleys Cup.

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

doughless: I think it's cool that you don't want to bet against the Caps, even if you are sure they're going to lose. I should have mentioned that you don't bet against your Caps, sorry.

cstanton1: I live in Eastern MD. I won't accept a pie unless you're willing to accept one if the Caps lose. Doughless mentioned that if he/she were to win the bet that ranndino and I would call him/her a D-bag or something to that affect. That is why I put the statement out there that I would simply say you were right and not call you bad fan or traitor for winning the bet.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

just fyi, but Mirtle does "Rod langway" award for best defensive defenseman: http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/4/13/834492/2008-09s-rod-langway-award

That's the top 25 from the 2008-2009 season. The wretchedly awful, can't-play-defense-to-save-his-life Mike Green is, shockers, on the list.

So, enough with the "he can't play defense" argument. He plays D.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Greenie needs to get on the scoresheet...maybe he can do it tomorrow. As far as responsibility goes, I think I've seen Feds and Kozlov give up the puck more than Green this series. The only problem is, when Greenie doesn't score or contribute to goals, his defense becomes the main focus. And we all know that he isn't Chara or Lidstrom. It's pretty damn impressive that the kid at 24, scored 31 goals in 68 games in the NHL. I say screw frankenstein and lidstrom (guys wins it every year) and throw greenie a bone. CAPS in 7!

Posted by: reesem37 | April 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'll be the first one to say that Green hasn't been playing well the past couple games but SERIOUSLY I don't know what you haters are smoking, but it's clearly ruining your memory. Something is up with him and has hurt his play during the series but that doesn't negate what a great season he has had.

Green has been amazing this year and he totally deserves this nomination, if not the trophy itself. Check over the stats for the games he played and rethink your digs on him.

Congrats Greenie!

Posted by: mrszilla | April 23, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Tarik: Are the boys at the rink in meetings, skating, etc...

I know at this point you won't mention who's limping and ailing. It would nice to know if they are going to run a practice today to see if it looks like BB is going to re-insert Nylander, and give Clarkie a look.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green's job is defense. If he is hurt to the point where people are passing him by and he can't check, he needs to sit down.

In case you haven't noticed, he hasn't scored in this series either.

I'm hearing nothing but excuses from his supporters on why he isn't playing well in the series. If he's that hurt or his "stalker" is bothering him so much, let's put an actual defensement in.

Bottom line is once he became a 30 goal scorer, he thought that was his job. I love having a defenseman who can score 30 goals, as long as they don't just sit back and watch someone storm the net.

If he is done playing defense, move him to offense and let someone else check, hit and guard the net.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

sasha, who are the Caps going to put in? Schultz? Oh, wait, let's move Fedorov, who is dealing with his own foot injury, on D! Yep,a nd put either Nylander, whoc has been rather worthless, or Clark, who hasn't played in month, in his place! Yes, brilliant.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

sasha_206: What are you ranting about. He hasn't scored in the playoffs, no kidding. Your argument is that his job is defense. Well, his O numbers are down, but he is playing sound D. Again, 7 total goals against the Caps in 4 games, and averaging less than 25 shots against. Those numbers don't indicate an problem with defense. So are you upset with his defensive play in the playoffs, or the fact that he can't score right now? Pick a side because you're hacking at both, but his D work is fine.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser: "Choking Dogs"

Yes, I brought that back out of the closet.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

the point you are missing Fanock is that Green has been turning the puck over. It may not lead directly to a goal but it leads to momentum and flow changes within a game, it can kill our PP possession time, it wears out our team when they have to cover his mistakes. All that factors into a loss even if a specific turnover doesn't lead to a goal. Also if he doesn't challenge or take the puck away effectively from a forward in our own end, that also leads to the things mentioned above

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Greener!
In other talented defenseman news, Carlson's Knights were eliminated from the OHL playoffs last night. I guess that means there's a chance he could be a Bear for the rest of their run. Not that the Bears need any more Dmen at the moment, but Kronwall's injury puts them down one unless the hospital cleared him.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Carlson play in game 4 against the Rangers. He's already better than at least 3 of our D

Hope Kronwall is ok, it sounds pretty serious though.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@cstaton1: Actually you can pay me at game 1 of round 2 at verizon center. You could buy me a papa john's pie and drink and we'll call it even.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think every fan who watches the home team every game is always going to be swayed - to the good or the bad - based on what they see every night. I've been on Green for his defensive play for the most of the season because I see it every game: pucks getting by him on point, giveaways, goals, etc. For an objective reading on the three nominees I went to behindthenet and sorted all the league's defensemen and here's what we have:

Team Goals Against Average (while on ice per 60 minutes):

Lidstrom 2.14
Green 2.18
Chara 2.23

Team Goals For Average (while on ice per 60 minutes):

Green 3.52
Lidstrom 3.34
Chara 2.93

Behind The Net Overall Rating (higher is better):

Green 1.3
Lidstrom 1.15
Chara -.44

There a bunch of numbers that go into the final rating total. The point is that from a statistically objetive point-of-view, and you can argue the theory but not really the objectivity, Green isn't that bad. In fact, he's pretty good. One more thing, these numbers only include time-on-ice for 5 vs. 5 and not PPs. Being the the end goal for a defenseman is to not allow goals when you're on the ice, it's doesn't matter how you get there or whether or not you look silly, have to chase guys down, give the puck away, or anything else.

Considering what we considered the poor state of the Caps defense and goaltender this regular season - compared to what we think is the lockdown defense and goaltender for Boston - this is very illuminating.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Can you tell me anything about this? I read it on line about the Bears losing Kronwall and thought it very intriguing.

"Washington prospect John Carlson's OHL season with London ended. The highly touted defenseman nearly made the Caps out of training camp.

Woods said he hadn't heard whether Carlson would be coming to Hershey or Washington.

"I would imagine he's going somewhere," Woods said."

Posted by: jwash4472 | April 23, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he has been turning the puck over. Look, I like Green. I think he's played well for most of the season. But his playoff game hasn't been good.

Personally, I think the Caps played much better when they were banged up. I'd rather see hungry guys from Hershey than a defensemen who according to this board is either distracted by a stalker (?) or is banged up.

You have to admit, his playoff series has stunk. And what he did earlier in the season doesn't matter because we are in the playoffs against a gritty team.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

espn:
1. Rangers sophomore pivot Brandon Dubinsky was among the best faceoff men in the league during the regular season. His 53.6-percent success ratio ranked him 18th on the circuit. On Wednesday night, the Alaska native went from very good to dominant. He won a near-perfect 15 of 17 draws. For you non-math majors out there (count me in that group), that's an 88 percent percentage. His faceoff prowess proved particularly important in the second period, when he beat Caps center David Steckel clean in the offensive zone. That faceoff win led directly to Paul Mara's goal that gave the Rangers a 1-0 lead. On the ice, especially in the playoffs, little things can mean a lot. Dubinsky's faceoff success was another reason for the club's 2-1 win in Game 4.

2. On the flip side, the Caps were flat-out brutal in the circle. Steckel went 4-for-15 (27 percent) on the evening. During the regular season, the 6-foot-5, 222-pound forward ranked fifth among all centers, winning 57.9 percent of his draws. As a role player who likely prides himself for being quick on the draw, Steckel has to be wondering what went wrong Wednesday night. Second-year stud center Nicklas Backstrom, who was such a key part of the Caps' Game 3 win, also had a subpar night in the circle. He was just 3-of-13 (23 percent). On the season, Backstrom was much more consistent, winning a middle-of-the-road 48.7 percent of time. The Caps are a puck-possession team. In Game 4, they rarely got to possess the puck off the draw. A few more faceoff wins might have helped. Interestingly, this was the first of the four games in which the Rangers got the better of the Caps in the circle. In Game 1, the Caps won a whopping 70 percent of their faceoffs. In Game 4, they bottomed out at 33 percent.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser: "Choking Dogs"

Yes, I brought that back out of the closet.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser was referring to the Caps BLOWING a 3-1 lead however :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Even if Mike doesn't win (and I think he should due to his overall game) it is an honor to be nominated along with Chara and Lidstrom, two of the best ever.

Mike may not win this year since he's the youngest of the group as the writers will think he will get more chances. Green still hasn't hit his prime yet, so anything's possible (a 40 goal season? 100 points?)

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | April 23, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

I think it still applies

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Interesting numbers Saintex. But that won't stop the people that only see his mistakes and take those as outweighing anything positive and correct that he does.

For some, Green would have to never commit a mistake to be considered a good Dman doing his job. Anything less and he is a failure to them.

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

especially since we are playing DB like this:

The Caps have outshot the Rangers a whopping 149-99 through four games, a margin that to the naked eye would all but guarantee a series lead. But on Wednesday night, Lundqvist was yet again ... "the best," said Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky. "Like Tina Turner, 'Simply the Best.'"

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Thats simply not true. I know I point out every single error he makes and I've got carpal tunnel because of it. There is no earthly reason for a Cap fan to pick on Mike Green unless he's worth of that criticism.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Greg S. I'm curious what points to Green getting a big head? I've watched a few of his interviews and he doesn't come off as a braggart. I'd like to hear your justification for that insult. In that spirit, I think your comment was stupid.

Doesn't feel good, huh? Just proving a point. You're not stupid but if the shoe was on the other foot and you read that someone is saying you got a big head without any real justification, it's offensive. I don't qualify that as an opinion as it's more of an insult with no basis, at least not one provided to support that claim.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 23, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

means nothing. The Caps got outshot in every game, some by a 2-1 margin during their 1998 run to the finals.

Just because we've outshot them doesn't mean we've outplayed them. They don't need to play a run and gun style and match us shot for shot. If they can keep us to the outside, if they can disrupt passing and quality shooting lanes, then they are in fact outplaying us. The one game we were able to penetrate their box frequently and take their defensmen off the puck (ala Backstrom on Redden), thats the one game we won.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Green comes off as a prima donna in some ways because too often he takes the glory of scoring goals without paying the price to be a good defender.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If the caps are eliminated someone on the caps should give Avery a cheap shot and insure an injury. So what if you get suspended the start of next season.

Posted by: rockbroker

I concur. Butt end to the face, cross check to the back of the head, whatever, hurt him bad.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | April 23, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the outshooting thing is cool but the greater the diparity for the Rangers, the better they play. As mentioned before, they play about .600 winning hockey when they are outshot and only about .450 winning hockey when they outshoot opponents. They don't want to be force - by being behind - to come out of the shell. I was very worried at the end of the second period when their shot total was something like 15 or 16. Here are the series shot numbers:

Caps Ranger
35 21
35 24
40 33
40 21

(p.s. I know, those are from my melted noodle but they are pretty close. Find the game we won...)

I'm not saying that shooting is a bad thing but it's really scoring first that will probably make the difference. I'll bet Torts was a bit irate last night after they went up 1-0 and then continued to skate up-and-down the ice with the Caps for four or five minutes. I'd have assumed he wanted them to lock it down.

Who knows. But, you have to win four, not three.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

"I'd sure like to exchange a couple of our guys who play the same role for the Rangers as Dubinsky and Callahan."

ARE YOU SERIOUS. Put your rangers jersey on and get off this blog, you're the worst excuse for a caps fan I've ever seen.

Posted by: apollak8 | April 23, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to see anyone get hurt, especially if it is intentional. Calling for an injury to be handed out is just as classless as that cheap punk Avery.

Well done rockbroker and thesmurfs, you are now just as classy as Avery. That should make you proud.

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

From Bleacher Report:

Oh where, oh where has Mike Green gone? The Norris finalist, power-play anchor, and puck-rushing defenseman had (arguably) the best season by a defenseman since the days of Raymond Bourque and Paul Coffey. Green was magic with the puck, on the power play, and controlling end-to-end rushes at even strength.

In this series, Green has been slow, sloppy, and careless. He has (at times) left his defensive position to throw a poorly timed hit, or taken his eyes off his passing target—both causing turnovers.

Mike Green, please come back. The Capitals need you.

***

Yes we do.

Perhaps I am being too harsh on Green; I've loved him most of this season. But this is when we need him.

The article above says it all. Personally, I think the games only true game of domination was Monday. The other games were spotty. The first five minutes of the game last night set the tone.

If you think Green is truly giving his all in this series like a Norris trophy winning defensemen, I'm not seeing it.

I am not bagging on him for not scoring, but if that is his biggest talent then he's been ineffective.

I have yet to see him turn up the speed to stop goal scoring chances. Did you see his lazy penalty on the breakaway? Wasn't even trying. Contrast that with Ovie skating and diving cleanly.

The only defensemen I've seen who has come like he wants to win is Erskine.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@ Cstanton

If you think we didn't play a pretty damn good game last night, you must have not been watching the same game as I did.
1. They won 2-1 (one goal game if you didn't know)
2. We pressured them with the puck in their zone for the second half of the 2nd period, and 80% of the 3rd
3. Fedz hit a crossbar, OV hit a post
4. Their first goal was quality, a result of putting guys in front of Varly, but the second goal was a fluke, without which the game would have been tied, and we would have likely won the game had it gone to OT

If you're a real caps fan you will never despair and instead will believe that they can do it to the bitter end. WE CAN DO IT, LETS GO CAPS

Posted by: apollak8 | April 23, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

He should be worried about tomorrow. Those other guys are dropping the hammer on their opponents in the playoffs.

Posted by: ejohnsto | April 23, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I think if we crash the net really hard and bulldoze Lundqvist, injure him and our chances of winning this series are multiplied by 100. However, seein' Avery getting leveled live sounds entertaining as well. I can't lose my faith yet, not until we're trailing when that final buzzer sounds.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | April 23, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

This is somewhat off topic, but Tuesday most of the guys apparently didn't practice. It wasn't mandatory. Is this a bad idea when you were down 2 games to 1? I know they played their butts off on game 3, but still? No practice?

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with _Mark. However, if the unimaginable happens, and we do find ourselves at the brink of elimination and Avery accidentally hits another Cap in the face because he can't control his hands the Cap should drop his gloves and go to town. Hopefully he loses control of his hands in Erskine's face so he can pay him back for having to accept a punch ealier in the series.

However, I see the other happening. I see the Caps coming back and Avery taking a very cheap penalty causing him to suffer a suspension and also being released by the Rangers.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

You don't think Avery deserves it. Look what he's done, he could have seriously injured Jurcina. Did you see what he did to Tim Thomas? Sloppy seconds comment, he doesn't deserve to be in this league, I WANT HIM OUTTA HERE. The best payback would have been to score while he is taking those stupid penalties, but they can't. I wonder if the Caps were up 3-1, I wonder if Avery would try to hurt any of the Caps, I bet he would.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | April 23, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

If you eat bait, you are a fish.

Let's not be fishes.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

But I'd rather win the game the right way, oh if we do lose this game tomorrow, for those of you that will be there, show some class and don't pollute the ice with your garbage like last year.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | April 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"Hi, Aquaman!"

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil: whaaaaaaaaaat? I've heard some lame sayings, but what is that supposed to mean. You sound like my 75 year old mother-in-law

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

you don't get it? I agree with you richmondphil, Erskine's been doing a great job of 'not being the fish'

Posted by: apollak8 | April 23, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Osfan092589: We won't have to worry about that unless a lot of Rangers fans show up hoping for a game 5 close-out. Ain't gonna happen. This thing is going back the stinking MSG.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 - a good dee is a good offense.
They are out shooting & out possessing the Rangers.
* 1.75 GAA
How is that disruptive to offensive flow again?

lyle -
Yes the only stat that counts is 3-1.
But if you tell me the Rangers are outplaying the Caps as a whole, you are disengenuous.

Winning by 1 goal in each game w/1 where both goals were on fluky bounces - the stats don't lie.
If you allow that those count, then also allow how the cross bar took away @ least 2 goals last night - enough to make this series 2-2.

It maybe over for some of you Defeated Dana's but not for real Caps fans.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

A deserved honor. But, at this point, I'm more concerned that a Cap - any Cap - wins the Conn Smythe...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 23, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

That's the positive attitude I like to see

Posted by: apollak8 | April 23, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, OK. He's been doing a great job not being a fish and taking the punishment so we can go on the PP I agree. However, if Avery pulls that crap again and the Rangers are pulling a miracle out of their @$$eS I say Erskine act like a Shark not a fish.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Know a good heart specialist...Transplant Avery's heart into Semin Body...and what would you have than???? YUP YOU GUESSED IT....Semin sitting out for 3 months plus...Only one more sleep until GOLF season... Does anyone know if semin is playing in the worlds?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 23, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Pretty simple...we are a pretty team...not a playoff team.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll be happy to eat crow next week if they prove me wrong

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I feel confident this series will go to game 6. Another visit to MSG may be the nail in the coffin though.

Posted by: ejohnsto | April 23, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I think our slogan should be "The new red scare" saw that on a sign at Game 1.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | April 23, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't want a cheap shot from behind like Hunter, that's wimpy. Avery needs to see it coming.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

SC1907: No, Semin will not be playing in the World Championships. He will be at Verizon next week playing either NJ or Pitts.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: apollak8 | April 23, 2009 2:15 PM |

I was going to say Schultz.

Jeff Schultz is the greatest defense man ever.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

not sure if people would agree, but since henrik is our biggest problem right now, wouldn't it make sense to run into him in the crease and knock him around. Take a 2 min. interference call (god knows the rags PP is horrible) and get him off his game.. that's what I'd do.. Send Fehr, Stecks, Bradley or Brash and crush him..

Posted by: ovys8 | April 23, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Avery doesn't belong in the league, but injuring him, while a very satisfying outcome, will just hurt our reputation.

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 23, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

sasha -
The fact of the matter is that every game has ebbs & flow & like BB said, you can't go all out @ 110% for 60 minutes. It's not possible.

Esp. in hockey where every game is enjoyable because of how competitive it is due to this very nature.

for you to expect 1 team completely dominate a game like Monday is just not realistic.

But the stats don't lie - the Caps have outplayed the Rangers overall saved for some luck which results in the current predicament.

& I would rather have luck than anything else right anytime. Just ask the Rangers.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Got FAITH? They forced Game 7 last year. I thought Philly was a better team compared to these Rangers.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | April 23, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ovys8 | April 23, 2009 2:23 PM |

This is what I have been preaching since Game 1. They fixed it for Game 3, and went right back into that "be content with crappy wristers outside the slot."

LOWER YOUR SHOULDER, CRASH THE NET, CAUSE COMMOTION.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ovys8 | April 23, 2009 2:23 PM |

Doing that once would be a pretty good idea. We probably should have tried it earlier in the series.. but at this point they need to do something to shake up Lundqvist

Posted by: apollak8 | April 23, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The Caps may be in the Stanley Cup Finals but it will have to be in Section 5 seats 1-20...less Semin he will be sitting out this one

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 23, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Because I think we all need a good laugh, I found this on a Devils blog:

"An Edmonton Oilers fan, a St. Louis Blues fan, a Devils fan and a Rangers fan climbed to the top of Mount Everest.
They looked over the edge in wonder. Then the Oilers fan shouts, "This is for the Oilers!" and jumps off the cliff.
Well, the St. Louis fan, not wanting to be outdone, shouts, "This is for the Blues!" and jumps to his death.
Seeing the trend, the Devils fan looks around for a moment. Then he walks behind the Rangers fan, gives him a big shove off the mountain and yells, "This is for hockey fans everywhere!"

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 23, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Sort of like how all the Eastern Canadian teams are sitting out as well.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I've been grumpy all day.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 23, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

after friday can we change the name of this site to a Stanley Cup Board since the Caps wont be using it anymore...dont get mad ...just a thought!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 23, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't be grumpy.

Be happy that we will be one of a few teams to come back from a 3-1 deficit.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Like how the Toronto and Montreal ones say Stanley Cup Board?

"But history..."

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

One thing I can agree with is that the Caps really need lucky bounces.

If you don't look at the score though and shots on goal, do you really feel like the Caps outplayed the Rangers last night?

The Caps didn't really bring it until the 3rd period -- their own players admit to that. Did you really feel in the first 2 periods that the Caps played with a sense of urgency.

I expected the Caps to play each game like they did Game 3. They have enough talent to play to that level. They may have outshot the Rangers last night, but did you feel the same game was played? It was sloppy, lots of errant passes, too cutesy with passing on the power play. Too many shots from the outside.

I would be willing to be that if our goalie hadn't been Varlamov and instead Theodore the tight games wouldn't have been so tight.

Game 3 looked like the game Capitals should be playing. The rest of the games were just "tight" games with an inferior team.

You can really see with this team that once they get their confidence back, they become complacent. With their backs against the wall, they should've come out and played their hearts out periods 1 & 2. They didn't play with any urgency until period 3.

That being said, do I think the series is over? Absolutely not. It wouldn't surprise me if we spanked them at MSG Game 7.

But that can only be done if all players show up and play like a playoff team.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Mike Green would be the perfect candidate for the initial offering of the "Orr Trophy" which would be given to the most offensive-minded defenseman each year. The league wanted to reward goal scorers...hence the Richard Trophy. Let's do the same on the defensive side. The Norris maintains it's tradition and prestige and we reward the talents of those who are going to me more prevalent in the new NHL.

Posted by: tyoc | April 23, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Be happy that we will be one of a few teams to come back from a 3-1 deficit.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

What makes you think that after 11 games your going to turn into a playoff team...HELLO!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 23, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: Hope you're right. I mean, we ALMOST did last year.(should of actually, cause that goal should've never counted in game 7) It just sucks, we had every right to win last night's game, and if things went our way it would be 2-2 and we all know who would win it then.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 23, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

There is only one Trophy...thats the CUP who cares about the others

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 23, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Alas, I have digressed into a fish.

I'm just so hungry, the bait looks delicious.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

AS for whether Green is the Best Defenseman or the Best Offensive Defensemen or whatever, people seem to forget that before Lidstrom's strangehold on the award, this debate happened every year. Some commenters even wanted something like the Selke for the Best Offensive Defenseman.

Historically, the best offesnive defenseman has a leg up on the award. But he's gotta be servicable defensively. Remember Sandis Ozolinsh? There's a one-way defenseman.

Green will never get confused with Scott Stevens. Paul Coffey wasn't confused with Langway either. But all are/were legit defensemen nominated or winners of the trophy. Will Green win? Not sure. Lidstrom had a below average year for him, but still solid. Chara is better defensively than Green. But 30 goals from the blue line is serious stuff and worthy of consideration. My gut is he wins in part because of the North American bias among voters. He's the only one was a legit candidate.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 23, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

rachel that ok your a little grumpy so was OV when he snaped at that women reporter...geez light'n up OV it was a great question if you would have only listen to it.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 23, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Alright, who said stanleycup1907 three times? Just like Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beet.. well you get the point. It was bound to show up since the Caps hit a bump. The only solution to having to deal with that troll is the Caps success. SC1907, the organ grinder is playing so grab your tin cup and head on back.

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Intense game for philly tonight.

Do or die.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

Posted by: apollak8 | April 23, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

lol, what does wanting Callahan and Dubinsky on my team have anything to do with being a Rangers fan? make a better argument otherwise you come off like a cheerleader with no brain. Unless of course you think Callahan and Dubinksy are simply scrubs, in which case you should take an interest in another sport. Those two players have played a key role on that team all year long, and they have outperformed players like Gordo.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

PD's "Why Green Should win" from the post of the Norris:
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Norris-finalists-and-why-the-Lidstrom-strea?urn=nhl,158575#remaining-content)

"Why Green Deserves the Norris: As we debated before, Green's candidacy is a clash of philosophies for those who weigh offense as heavily as defense when it comes to being the "best" defenseman. His critics hit him with claims that he's too offensive, and that's not exactly fair on two fronts. First, he's dramatically improved his defensive game since coming into the League; he's not a shutdown guy, but he doesn't deserve the "all-O, no-D" knock that guys like Brian Campbell usually earn.

More importantly, it can be argued that his offense is his defense. Green's puck possession ability and contributions on offense this season kept attack teams on their heels. By virtue of keeping his opponents defending a defenseman, he's doing his job ... even if it's on the other end of the ice from his goalie.

And as much ink as Alexander Ovechkin gets for his value to the Capitals, Bangin Panger makes the case that Green's contributions are just as vital to wins and losses. And also vital for bandwagon fans to have a hair style to ape."

I really suggest going to the actual link, as PD has several embedded links in the Mike Green section alone, plus discuss on why Chara and Lidstrom should win, as well.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Dubinsky should actually be a top 6 forward goal-scorer, so that label is a little off. He has underperformed this year tremendously.

I would love Callahan.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"rachel that ok your a little grumpy so was OV when he snaped at that women reporter"

wow...me no likey engrish

Posted by: Moose33 | April 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

congratulations, Green. Big honor. But it's just a trophy.

So some think Green is no better? at the beginning of the year, I said he had to improve defensively. BB agreed, and said as much. He hits hard, has great offense, and has made leaps and bounds in his zone. He's just a young guy and is light years ahead of a blueliners development curve. I'm proud to have him as a cap. If others don't see that, it speaks more of them than it does of green. Perfect? no. Awesome? well he's being spoken of along with Chara and Lidstrom. Enough said.

Sit fehr and play Clark. Sit Flash and call up a big body. Crash the fing net. The caps can do yhis, but some people need to sit. Game 3 showed it. The odds are long, but who cares about odds at this point? pay the price and dont be afraid to bleed. Chicks dig scars.
If Carlson is ready, put him in Hershey and let him soak it up.

Posted by: oo7 | April 23, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Lyle - where did all those 'scrappy' Caps team get us in the 80's & 90's? Heartache city that's where.The current Rangers are no different & less talented than THOSE caps team.

Yeah you can get on a hot streak ('98 Caps), but I rather build a team for guaranteed repeated playoff appearances than being in 1 year & out the next.

Maybe you are disappointed that our superior talent would overwhelm the Rangers.
Sorry but knowledgeable fans know - playoff hockey is a different animal.
And lots of time LUCK is the key.
This series could be easily 3-1 or @ least 2-2 - our way. ASK THE RANGERS about the 50 shots deficit & time of possession & the crossbars.

I've not going play what-ifs cause that's just plain stupid.
U & sasha shouldn't play what-ifs either with the team's makeup cause that's also stupid.

This team here & now can win this series.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

anyone wonder why there is not a bobby orr award for best offensive defenseman? i men, there's an award for best defensive forward, two mvp awards and for crying out loud, and award for most gentlemenly play. let's honor one of the most important players in nhl history with such and award.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 23, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

christ, if Jose just had not done is best impresiion of a sieve in game 1, things would be so much better.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

LOWER YOUR SHOULDER, CRASH THE NET, CAUSE COMMOTION.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2009 2:26 PM

Totally agree - crash the net & if the goalie gets in the way, we'll crash him there too.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Now, when Green knows that he's nominated - its time to roll for him. A win at verizon and the following will turn this series around.

Posted by: Hazz | April 23, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

There is only one Trophy...thats the CUP who cares about the others

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 23, 2009 2:39 PM

U mean like the cup avery isn't wearing everytime he punches some1 AFTER the whistle & from behind.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I still have faith, we won game 3 at MSG which was a must win and we've been good at home all year, so we win tomorrow, win the must win at MSG, and come back to an electrified VC. Have got to stay positive just like Ted said on his blog. I also think that the Rangers luck has just about run out.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | April 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

i love how many of the "positive" people on this blog are advocating hurting Rangers players (e.g., Avery). you guys are probably the ones chucking beerbottles on the ice after the loss to the Flydonkies last year.

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Great comments all!

I hope we come back but let's see what happens. Playoff hockey is lots of luck. I have not seen many games this year live or tv. Saw saturday's game and just though lots of shots came from too far and no one in the way. Reading Tariq's blog all year, that seems to be the problem.

Going into game three i would have done two things different. Bring up Accoin (sp) he was hot during the last week, and hungry. I do not think he would have hurt us.

Play clark if was ready.

P.S. last week of regular season as teams were going back and forth in standings. I really wanted to avoid Pens and Rangers in the First round. I felt our best chance would have been the Habs.

Pens scared me b/c of our history with them in the post season and rangers b/c guy like Lund...has beaten us so many times in our history! Oh well.

Listend to the game on internet last night from Warsaw, Poland, it started at 1am local time here. travel too much.

After the second goal, even poor radio guy seemed to have been deflated for a while.

Kozlov what a dissapointment. (post season Atleast). I hope they do not resign him and get someone gritty and with good hands.

Go Caps.

Posted by: hunter32 | April 23, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Coffey may never was compared to Langway defensively but neither was Langway to Coffey's offensive prowess.

So true.

However, in his own way keeping the puck away from the other team is defense in its own way.

just like possession time is such a key stat in the NFL.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie
if the defense actually showed up, and OV and Fedorov had goals instead of hitting the crossbar 3-4 times, if varmalov dind't fumble drury's shot; it'd be a whole different series, etc. etc. etc.

read all the reports, this is a team game, and see what all the experts and the team guys have said up to this point. what an ignorant thing to say.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2009 3:07 PM |

Just cause you get walked over in real life doesn't mean the rest of us do.
Either that or u go smacking ppl upside the head & expect no response huh?

We only chuck the nutless.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

read all the reports...what an ignorant thing to say.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 23, 2009 3:14 PM

I see one 'expert' here is wrong ^ MM&T

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT,

I think I've proven that I'm reading everything out there and holding intelligent hockey conversations. I spend 60 minutes last night screaming "there's no one in front of the eff'ing net!" I've comment a lot on a lot of different thing, and you're the first to bust out "ignorant."

I'm frustrated (by a lot of things, not just the Caps, not just the New Yorkers I work with who have all the sudden turned into hockey fans although when I said "Lundqvist" they all agve me blank looks), heck, I was one of Theo's staunchest supporters last week. But I was PO'ed about thsoe softies.

So, please, take your "ignorant" comment elsewhere. Cheers.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

A response is one thing, but intent to injure is another. Two men squaring off and handing out a beat down is different than taking cheap shots and trying to hurt someone.

This is a very physical sport that we love to watch and injuries happen. It is just wrong to go out and injure someone, even if it is Avery.

Also, throwing stuff on the ice really shows them, doesn't it. That was a sad moment and I hope it never happens again involving Caps fans.

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

stay klassy, Rocc00

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

As a Ranger fan of almost 60 years standing I am truly amazed at what a new coach (J.Torterella) can bring to a mediocre hockey club in the course of a few weeks. Before Torts arrived on the scene all the Rangers had was a top flight goalie, a defense that usually caved in during the third period and an offense that had to work overtime to score goals. Not even one 25 goal scorer and no one to replace Jaromir Jagr. With two good trades Antropov and Morris and the addition of "Mad Mad Avery" and a new "forecheck" first philosophy,he has taken a no offense club this far. Is it over? Not by a longshot, with the Caps explosive offense, a bad game by Lunqvist, a couple of defensive mistakes, and Avery finally paying the price for totally undisciplined play, the Caps still have a chance. If the Rangers make it look foward to a hell of a series against the Bruins.

Ancient Rangers fan

Posted by: lar7go | April 23, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It is really frustrating to read the crap posted here by so many stupid people. I thought this would be a fun place to read up on the latest Capital news items. But the idiots have taken over. No need to mention names but you know who you are.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | April 23, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark

I agree with you Mark. Throwing things on the ice in incredibly stupid and an absolute disgrace. I remember when Jeff Carter go hit with a bottle during a post game interview and it made me sick. Let me retract, I have calmed down. I would love to see Avery get hit by a CLEAN check. I would love to see someone square off with him, but he won't go with someone he knows can fight. He really is a coward, and I would really like to know how many teamates have his back.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | April 23, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I feel cranky today too. Green had a great season. I hope he steps it up tomorrow along with the rest of the team.

I can't be the only one though that wishes Avery was on our team? Aside from his dirty play at times, he certainly gives his all.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 23, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse