Green, Ovechkin, Semin and Poti All Hurt

Coach Bruce Boudreau didn't want to use injuries as an excuse in the postgame press conference and offered up few details about which of his players were battling injuries, only vaguely acknowledging that Mike Green and Alex Ovechkin were hurt.

I'm hearing at least seven Caps, including several of the team's best players, were playing through various ailments in this round.

Green had a bum shoulder, the same one he hurt in Anaheim. Tom Poti had a broken foot, which he suffered in Game 1 of this series. Ovechkin was battling a groin injury. Alexander Semin was also hurt, though I'm not certain of his injury. I did hear, however, that the injury likely would have sidelined him in the regular season.

Boudreau told reporters he would go into detail about the injuries on Friday, which will be breakdown day.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 13, 2009; 10:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 7: Penguins 6, Capitals 2
Next: Postgame Quotes

Comments

Who's surprised about this?

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Horrible loss. Injuries.. yeah, but whatever.

But stay strong Caps fans. Our time will come!

GMGM, BB, AO and Co -- back to the drawing board.

Posted by: VladG | May 13, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Not dogging on TEB on this- but

"Duh. Thank you Captain Obvious."

To all of you who are ready to sell of our entire team... I doubt you would have survived the dark years with us. Only 4 teams get to the third round, only two from the East and only one gets the cup. That's the reality. It's been two years since we were last place, we got to second in the east. Let them learn from the playoff experience and grow. Give them a chance, or pick a new team.

Still, and always, proud.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 13, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

ok, now i am more angry than I was before. If they were injured take them off the freaking ice and put people in there that are healthy. Green was obviously not on his game, and why we didn't bench him and let another defensemen play is beyond me. I understand that its the playoffs and guys are injured, but I just can't take it, get them off the ice, and put in guys that can be effective.

Posted by: chokeitup | May 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

How is it that Poti was able to play a thousand times better with a broken foot than Green was able to with a "bum shoulder"?

Obviously the description is vague and could be more serious but until then, Green was just awful this whole playoffs.

Posted by: Liebercreep | May 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

They were hurt? No they were burnt. A laser named Sidney Crosby ignited his team past this bunch of stiffs, led by Ovechkin
the guy who works about half the ice. Say goodnight.

Posted by: pdmjr99 | May 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

A very tough end to a fantastic season. I'd like to thank all the Caps for a wonderful eight months and a ton a memories. I know it's a lot harder on them than me. We'll see you guys in the Fall; take a vacation, you deserve it.

Posted by: saintex | May 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

also, now we sound like babies, no sh!t people were injured.

Posted by: chokeitup | May 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Regardless - injuries are an excuse whether you like to use them or not. That explains Green and Semin disappearing. Poti - props to him for fighting through it. Ovie I figured had a little something up with his groin but hey what do you do - it's part of the game.

Keep on rolling.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | May 13, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey JS26121820, a lot of Caps fans are suprised. Nobody expected this result, this is a new Caps era, period. We found our goalie of the future, the O is set and now there is injury news. Next year we get a few more D back (Alzner, Carlson) and a full season from Clark and Pothier, yeah, our Cups will flow very soon. That said I'm sure Sid and Geno will get a few Cups too. What a great time to be a Caps fan and hockey fan

Posted by: flee001 | May 13, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

That it?

Figured the list would be bigger.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 13, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, btw, Tarik, grat f-ing seaons of covering the Caps, see you at draft, you are rock solid.

Posted by: flee001 | May 13, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@ mrszilla

Well said. I posted this on last thread, but I swear some people here think we'd be better off trading rosters with the Islanders.

@ chokeitup

Replace Green with who? Schultz? You don't know anything about hockey, do you?

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Time for Federov to retire. He can only play in spurts...good enough against Rangers, not even close against Pens. The Caps played their best hockey when they brought up all those Hershey guys in November.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@ flee001

I meant who's surprised by the injuries, not the result of game 7

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey, at least we got to see 2 very good series of post-season hockey!

Posted by: richmondphil | May 13, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the confirm Tarik, @ least now the haterz can stop baggin Greenie & some of the other good guys.

I mean who were we going to replace these guys with & still take us to the Conf Semis 7th game.

Some Caps fans are stooooopid.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 13, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The injuries were there for games 1 -6...so what happened in game 7?

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

Jonathan6, I'm in Vero Beach. Ted Leonsis has an estate here. I'd say he's lucky, but he's good.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 13, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 13, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I am going to have to calm down, before I comment on this nonsense. You mean to tell me that the reason we were outplayed in this series...(out shot in every series, outworked all around) is because we had injuries to about 4 of our key guys. WHO WE ALMOST COULD NOT WIN WITHOUT...going to go calm...waiting for more....love the caps...

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 13, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, Pens lost Gonchar for a while. Caps were outshot and outplayed in EVERY game of this series. There is no excuse for what happened. A total breakdown.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see the better team win but to all Caps fans, Varlamov is only 21! Better days are ahead!

Posted by: Pensrock87 | May 13, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Green embarrassed himself throughout the series, as impossible as it is to believe after the regular season. This team has major concerns if they want to advance further in the next couple of years, namely a more veteran/character presence on the 3rd and 4th lines and the D.

Posted by: jck747 | May 13, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Tom Poti played with a broken foot? Have to respect the man for that. I knew Semin was hurt. There is no way a guy that had 5 goals against Lundqvist couldn't score againt MAF. And for some reason, I think Ovechkin is always playing hurt. He's just a warrior.

Posted by: madden091 | May 13, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Erskine-Pothier

Goalie
Varlamov
Theodore

Preferred lines next year:

Forwards
Ovechkin - Backstrom - (?)
Fleischmann - (?) - Semin
Laich - Steckel - Bradley
(Bourque/Gireaux?) - Gordon - (Aucoin?)

Defense
(?) - Green
Poti - Jurcina
Erskine - Alzner

Goalie
Varlamov
Johnson
(Neuvirth?)

Other possibilities:
-Someone in place of Flash?
-Someone in place of Clarkie?
-Someone in place of Poti?

DISCUSS.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 13, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil-

I think the list will get longer as time passes and things leak out. Think Green is more hurt than just a "bum shoulder", which implies something thats annoying but wouldn't throw off your whole game. The boys are beat up, they'll heal and learn.

JS26121820-

Yea seriously. While I too had high hopes for the Caps people seem to think that after having a winning team for A SEASON AND A HALF you are just going to waltz through the playoffs and win the Cup. It just doesn't work that way. Every team in the playoffs are redic talented, that doesn't mean they all make it. Everyone in here keeps agreeing that "the playoffs are a different animal than the regular season" but the second you point out how little experience they have in the playoffs people jump on you. These things take time. I'm sure there will be some changed in our line up starting next year but I personally think our team is stronger than it has been in a very very very long time. They will learn because yes, playing in the playoffs IS something you have to study, you have to learn how to handle the pressure, the change in the game etc.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 13, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Just got back. Kudos to the Caps fans, who were on their feet from the 2 minute mark, chanting Caps Caps Caps for the balance of the game. We gave them thanks and a nice send off.

We're a young team that just got 14 more games of great playoff experience. Very tough night, but we're learning and we'll be back. I love the Caps. Thanks for a great season and post season.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 13, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Oops, forgot Fehr. Maybe throw him on there somewhere, or not.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 13, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Come back "smarter" and "stronger". ROCK THE RED IN 09-10!

Posted by: 555Mass | May 13, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

While it was a drag to watch the Caps finish looking so awful, we saw a great Caps team play some great hockey. I can't wait for next season. Maybe by then my phone will stop ringing with calls from gloating friends in family in Pgh.

Posted by: uncatim | May 13, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry , let's also not forget the way the team deflated in the second half of the season playing non-playoff teams. Semin needs to be called out as well as Green if we're honest.

Posted by: jck747 | May 13, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

So I guess game 7 of the EC finals won't go too well next year, huh!

Sorry, that's the best attempt at humor I can come up with.

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I love the fans response. Bodes well for next year. Eat sh1t and die Pens!

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

BTW- Big thanks to the CI team for keeping up all the updates, enough to keep me distracted at work for hours. You all did a really great job, I look forward to continuing this new addiction of mine next season.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, it was as many of you have said, a great season. We have truly come a long way. I'd like to thank the caps and all the fans who refused to give up until the bitter end. We'll be back next year, stronger and better from this year's playoff experience. LONG LIVE ALEX THE GREAT! LETS GO CAPS 2009-2010!

Posted by: apollak8 | May 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Good old WTF_Fehr, just can't calm down for 1 second.

-gep123

Posted by: amorris525 | May 13, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

FlaCapsFan,
So Vero Bch being exactly the same distance to TPA/St Pete and Sunrise, do you go to either for your regular fix?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 13, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

For all you optimists, I am sorry, but when I think back on this season, all that will remain is this embarassing blowout. The Pens curse just gained another chapter. The truth: The road to the Cup runs through Pitt right now, and will for the next ten years cause Crosby ain't goin' nowhere.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

great season..tough exit

been good watching y'all all season, and Green sucks

Posted by: gtydings | May 13, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

jck747- Semin played well in the first series against the Rangers and is a big reason the Caps made it to round 2. He didn't start playing poorly until the unchecked abuse/injury he received from Oprik.

Posted by: madden091 | May 13, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Crosby ain't going nowhere, but neither is OV. I will take OV any day!!!. Just wait until our supporting cast is developed and imrpoved.

Posted by: Satts | May 13, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

great season..tough exit

been good watching y'all all season, and Green sucks

Posted by: gtydings | May 13, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Green is HUGE reason why we even made it to second place in the East, let alone the playoffs at all. Don't be a fickle fair-weather fan, unless you can handle being called just that.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 13, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@ hockeypuck1

I feel sorry for you if that's the case. I really do. So you can't look back on Feds game 7 goal and smile at that wonderful night? Remember Greenie's goal streak can't be a fond memory anymore? This was a fun, fun season and I wouldn't trade a minute of it. Only 1 team wins the Cup. That doesn't mean the 29 other teams are failures.

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

BernieWolfeFan,
No, my wife consults up in the VA. area so last season I came up there to go to the phone booth a couple of times. Next year though --- who knows?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 13, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

First, Flash is the new Laich, trust me and Fehr is going to be just like Laich, so it's a Gordon/Pettinger dileman, which to offload. We needed a great sacrifice, shot blocking guy ... we have him just had a bad spleen or something.

mischadc83, you are very correct, I like this very much. Thanks to no-show-Nylander (damn I love this guy) we did not have a second line center for Semin. Hersey is full of such great young players for fourth line or higher, and as for the D, Erks is nice but not top 4 on a Cup contender, Alzner and Carlson will be dandy.

The biggest question, for me, is tough buy, what do we do with Brash? I saw Simon at Kobe in Leesburg, lets sign him.

Posted by: flee001 | May 13, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Some of these injuries were obvious but you have to give credit where it's due and hats off to the Pens. The Caps had no answer for the forecheck all series long and if not for an unbelievable performance by Varly, this could have been over sooner.

I agree with everyone that we have to keep things in perspective. The core of this team is incredibly young and they are just starting to gain the experience that is needed to win the cup. Obviously we need a couple more pieces but the future is bright.

Kudos to those at VC that cheered our boys on in the final seconds, they definitely deserved it.

Great job by the Post to keep us informed throughout the season.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 13, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

hockeypuck1,
So be it. Pitt has to go through DC and Ovie as well. For us, to ultimately hoist the cup means getting through another level way above Pitt. If we can't do that, we don't deserve it, ya know what I mean?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 13, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

One glaring mistake by McPhee: not picking up ONE player for the post season run. If Pitt had taken that approach, they not only would not have beaten the Caps, they might have not even made the playoffs.

Also, the Varly move in the the 2nd playoff game was the right move, but didn't some of the Caps braintrust see that coming...like back in Feb?

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's go 'Hawks!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | May 13, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Great season. Sometimes in hockey it comes down who which team is the healthiest in the playoffs. Unfortunately, it wasn't the Caps.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | May 13, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@FloridaCapsFan and BernieWolfeFan
Bernie - whereabouts are you? FloridaCapsFan - it's great to be lucky and good haha :) Here's to hoping we can see a Caps/Bolts and Panthers game down the road. I speak for a home network biz that's exploding right now. Owner of the Lightning/Panthers is on board with it if you can believe it? Great stuff.

I do hope we can all get together for a Caps game down the road. :)

Posted by: Jonathan6 | May 13, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, nice investigative journalism Tarik. Poti plays an entire series with a broken foot and you don't know. Rumors swirled about Green mainly, but the others were a little surprising maybe not so much considering how bad most of them played!

I guess it's time to congratulate them on their guttiness a little more and it explains why the D was swarmed so much and seemed to have no answer. Could a couple of call-ups been better? I don't know, but there is always next year. Poti played 6/7 games on a broken foot? Wow, only in hockey!

Funny, Ovie looked like a superstar still to me. Groin or no groin.

Posted by: rphilli721 | May 13, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

No surprises there - would expect to have seen a few more names on that list. The real question burning in my head is that, with Green as obviously ineffective as he was through most of the playoffs, would it not have been warranted to put in Alzner? Granted Alzner does not bring the offensive potential of Green, but Green had no offense with a bum shoulder anyway. The real difference is that his defense suffered, too.

The biggest disappointment to me about tonight's game is not that we lost, it's that the whole team no-showed for this game.

Anyway, great regular season, great comeback against the Rangers, great individual accomplishments by OV, Greener, Varly and Backie. Once the sting of tonight wears off, I think I'll be able to enjoy some of these other triumphs from this past year.

Posted by: alpca3877 | May 13, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

excuses, excuses, excuses .. seems to me injuries didn't play a factor in the first 6 games. Truth be told, the better team won tonight. AO had his due .. Karma from Gonchar

Go Pens!!!

Posted by: 1hockeyfan | May 13, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Pittsburgh's time is within the next 2 or 3 years. After that, they'll be the next Tampa Bay with 2 very highly paid, very highly talented players and a support cast thats very mediocre because those 2 players are eating up so much cap. Granted, Malkin and Crosby are better than St. Louis and Lacavalier, so they may still make the playoffs in their weakened state, but their farm system is out of bullets to make deadline deals like they did this year.

Posted by: capsfansteve | May 13, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

BernieWolfeFan,

I know what you mean and I agree with you.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 13, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

JS26121820: Don't forget Ovechkin's goals, the total change of atmosphere at VC, & an amazing beginning for a rookie goalie. hockeypuck1 must be a blast at parties.

Posted by: uncatim | May 13, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Lets stop trying to be so positive! If we don't feel the pain of this horrible game, we ain't gonna get better!

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Moose33, couldn't agree with you more.

What an incredible ride this season has been, and what a team we are building. Here's to an even better 09-10.

Posted by: wocoliz | May 13, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

OMFG, look at Hershey and what we have coming, dear god there is so much to be excited about (Tuaca is kicking in)

Posted by: flee001 | May 13, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Boudreau is a good coach, but coaches who win the Stanley Cup make their players play the system and hold them accountable when they don't. Boudreau let his team play lazy, undisciplined hockey for the last quarter of the season and I think that's a big reason why they struggled with the Rangers and the Pens. Those things get to be habits and habits are hard to break.

Boudreau is obviously an excellent coach, but he might be a little too much of a player's coach sometimes. I would have liked to have seen fewer canceled practices during the regular season, and a lot more guys (Semin, Flash, Schultz) get their ice time cut to send a message.

But make no mistake, the Capitals' future is bright and I'm excited to see how far they can go in the next few years.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | May 13, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan6,

We'll definitely look into that next year. Keep in touch on this board and we'll set something up.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 13, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

So does it violate some sort of code of fan ethics if I want to jump on the Hawks bandwagon next round? I do really enjoy that team.

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

i can understand frustration - especially from the STH's. but the hate needs to stop. every team in the league can say they need to make personnel moves to improve - the caps are no different – i believe they are better off than most of them though. i can’t believe a saw a comment about GMGM not making any moves at the trade deadline - way a d-bag. Ted, GMGM and BB will have to look real hard at the current roster (and each players salary) and make some difficult decisions about next year. there is some good young (even younger than the current squad) talent in hershey. i look forward to seeing what management thinks are the priorities for improving the team and how they plan to go about it.

mrszilla:
i like your outlook and attitude about the team

to all the haters:
suck it up – we lost and it’s not going to change no matter how much you complain

october can’t get here fast enough

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 13, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Great series Caps! This will be an awesome rivalry for years to come with our combined young stars.

Posted by: LEM66 | May 13, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

@ 1hockeyfan
Injuries didn't play a role? Mike Green, the highest scoring defenseman since a guy named Paul Coffey was a non-factor not just in this series but against New York due to his injury/s. In the regular season, he'd blast shots from the point, and 31 times they went in. A lot of other times, the shot was so hard that it created big fat juicy rebounds that were deposited by teammates. What Gonchar is to Pitt, Green is to us. The team wasn't the same without out him, and that we were able to take you 7 with our 2nd best player operating at half strength is admirable, in my opinion. you are a damned good hockey team, as much as i hate you and your whiny, crybaby captain. you still won't win the cup though, detroit will beat you, again.

Posted by: capsfansteve | May 13, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

As I've said before the Penguins deserved to win this series and it was a miracle that we got to game 7. You just can't keep playing pond hockey against a great team and hope that your goalie keeps bailing you out no matter how good he is. It finally came to really bite us tonight even though Varly held us in yet another terrible 1st period. In truth, there were several games that could've been blowouts in favor of the Pens had Varly not stood on his head. Congrats to Pittsburgh on a well earned series win. People can also say what they want about Crosby, but he earned my respect in this series. He's an excellent player who consistently plays very hard for his team.

As for these injuries I fully expected these to be reveled once the series was over. I've been saying for a while now that it's obvious that Green and Semin were injured. Ovechkin also looked hurt badly in one game, but it's a testament to what a great player he is that he played through it and still had a great series. It's also a testament to the other guys' courage to play through bad injuries. I'm sure many fans will say that it's just an excuse, but those are people who have obviously never played any sport themselves. When you're badly injured no matter how much you want to do something you just can't. It's like a car that has something major wrong with it. No matter what kind of car it is it's just not gonna drive the same.

Thanks to the Capitals for a great season. We have a very bright future.

Let's go, Hershey Bears!

Posted by: ranndino | May 13, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Standing O for our Caps the last 2 minutes+. That certainly felt better than seeing crap thrown on the ice at last year's last game.

Really sucked that it was such a crush. Maybe practices were optional due to injuries, but it still seemed like a bad idea that was going to result in a poorly prepared team.
ahh, next year,
lets Go Caps

Posted by: bluejeener1 | May 13, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh I feel the pain more than you know. They were terrible tonight & the pens were clearly better. But remembering only one admittedly miserable game after an incredible season is sad & unnecessary.

Posted by: uncatim | May 13, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, I am over it.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Hockeypuck1, your knowledge of hockey isnt enough to fill at thimble so hush up...and quit your darn whining! The Caps gave us a terrific season--remember we were in last place just a couple of seasons ago. They are one of the youngest teams in the NHL, and have the best farm system. We can look forward to many great years ahead, including, met thinks, a few Stanley Cups...thanks Caps for a marvelous year, I really am looking forward to the next season! And for all you whiners on here tonight..if you are season ticket holders, turn them in NOW..you don't deserve them.

Posted by: RogerNoVa | May 13, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

madden 091 et al., no ones a bigger Semin/Green fan then me, but a post-mortem needs to be conducted here even if initial judgments prove to be hasty. Semin's penalties and lack of even a bit of physicality are disturbing. Was the fan base seriously contending that Green's problem's were because the curve of his stick was 1.7 degrees off? Something was amiss and it will take another summer and full season to see if it was a flute or a legit concern. Great season, let's all retreat to are summer homes in New Hampshire and Ontario and regroup in September.

Posted by: jck747 | May 13, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 13, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

JS26121820: Go for it, root for any Western team!

Posted by: uncatim | May 13, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Good season Caps, next year will be even better. The officiating in this series was an absolute joke. The Caps have a lot of fast, talented players coming up from Hershey for next year: Bourque, Osala, Aucoin, Giroux, Alzner, and Carlson could all figure into next year's starting line up. Go Caps -- Rock the Red! Oh, and the Pens still suck and so does Pissburgh.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 13, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Crosby played through a broken foot his first playoffs. Getzlaf and Pronger are severely banged up. Welcome to the NHL playoffs past round 1, Caps fans. This happens to everybody. I am calling bs on all of them except Poti and Green, and I think Green's will be overstated just to make an excuse for a potential award winner who got exposed by a hard forechecking team.

Posted by: 1992alloveragain | May 13, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

We've seen this movie too many times over the years, but we didn't lose because of injuries, we lost because we were outplayed for the majority of the series. We nearly stole it on Varly's back anyway, but he was not good tonight and that's all it took. The Pens had waaaaaaaay more room to operate than we did--hence the disparity in shots. They controlled play and we were reduced to countering for the most part. They forechecked the hell out of us and we gave up a lot of good scoring chances as a result. We gave them time and space to use their talent and they did a good job of taking it away from us. We also didn't clear out the crease area very well, giving up numerous goals in front. Stupid penalties played a role (not convince the reffing in the series was totally even, however). We also will never go far if we have to keep playing multiple elimination games every series. Tough 7 game series beat you up too . . .

There is a TON to learn from this series. And I hope the players, coaches, and management learn it. I'm disappointed, but still high on the team overall. Here's hoping we can make that big leap next year.

Posted by: Bass1 | May 13, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

1992alloveragain, That's the TRUTH! These other soft, wealthy Caps fans who advise us all to now "retreat to our summer homes in New Hampshire" just don't get it.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 13, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I just got home from the game and was ready to go I am ready to trade everyone whose number is not 8,19,39,40 (varly right? excuse the alcohol I went to the fridge before the computer) for a top defensemen. Hearing that Poti played with a broken foot makes me respect him a lot more but is he really worth 3.5? Is poither worth 2.5? What do we do with Koz? Morrison had a great season last year he wasnt anything special this year. With feds and koz off the payroll I say we go out and get a top D

Posted by: caps512 | May 13, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

It's true. I am not knocking any of the players. Every player who busts his hump every night in a grueling stage like the NHL playoffs is a warrior, but they are confusing toughness and being injured with being a player with a attitude of a teenage girl (Semin). I do think the Capitals have to be smart with Varlamov next season. He can't be rushed into things like Fleury did. Fleury has had his struggles, but the Cup run he went on shows his pedigree. Varlamov should realistically play anywhere from 45-55 games so he can develop. I think any Caps fan who hears anything about a certain goalie named Jim Carrey can agree with me on that one.

Posted by: 1992alloveragain | May 13, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I love it. It makes the win even better. Not only can you use the refs as a crutch you now have injuries too. Keep crying your tears taste delicious. The stay-fuffed marshmallow fan should add Varlamov, Federov, and Kozlov to list just for good measure! By the way the core of this team is signed for 5-7 years!!!! Have fun with the RFAs and OV's 10 mill salary.

Posted by: crycrycry87 | May 13, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan6,
I'm in NoVa currently but spent 7 yrs in Daytona/Orlando while in flight school. I worked for RDV (Orl Magic and Orl Solar Bears ownership group of the former IHL) for a few seasons so IHL hockey was readily accessable.

I hauled it to Sunrise and Tampa regularly for the Caps and NHL hockey so that is why I asked.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 13, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

GREEN is great trade bait! Someone will pay a high price to get this overated player that has no clue what it means to play defense. The good news is we are 2-3 good defensemen away from being a great team. We have many solid performers but defense needs MUCH improvement in hockey fundamentals.

Posted by: angsbaby | May 13, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I meant stay-puffed marshmallow man. Excited typing and 12 Newcastle do not work together.

Posted by: crycrycry87 | May 13, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

In my best Nelson from the Simpsons - Hah f-ing Ha - injuries? are you kidding, you're best player takes a run at our best d-man - who misses most of the past 3 games and the Caps still lose!!!

No excuse, most players are banged up and hurt. see ya!

Posted by: jsmartin3 | May 13, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

jck747-You can't really say Semin isn't a physical player because he isn't as physical as Ovechkin. Of course he's not going to put down the big hits like Ovie, he's not that type of player. But Semin has been clotheslined, cross checked, tripped, and otherwise abused more than any player on this team (except maybe Green) and hasn't folded. He always gets called for penalties that other players get away with just because he's Semin. I'm not saying that he's perfect, especially in the regular, but he is a playoff performer when his wrist is broken.

Posted by: madden091 | May 13, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Tough loss tonight, but even Crosby said this was the toughest battle he's faced. The Pens had a monster PP advantage (34-19 for the series) and were up against an AHL goalie and still needed 7 games to put the Caps away.

Tough tonight, but a great season and progress over last year. And the future is still very bright.

Posted by: jollyroger2 | May 13, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Bob Gainey once won the Stanley Cup with two seperated shoulders. Other greats have played the playoffs injured. It's a part of the Play-offs. The difference is that great character players can elevate their play or keep it up with their booboos (such as Ovechkin). Guys such as Semin and Green just wilt. If you lace up to play, you ought to pour it on the ice. Some of these guys just didn't do it.

Lastly, for crying out loud, can the Fedorov lovers come down to earth. This guy is finished and not worth giving any more contracts; yes, even if he got that goal against the Rangers. Let's just save the money for more grit as well as the money saved on Kozlov. Maybe we can get rid of Fleischman, the consummate underachiever and a Power pussy. Let's get some guys who can play defense; we already have a core offense.

Posted by: atybat | May 13, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

keep crying caps. you lost because you're terrible. thanks for teasing all of us for the last 8 months.

Posted by: apocalypsedude69 | May 13, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Message to the Canes/Bruins: please destroy Sindy the whiner next week and you'll make it worth watching.

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | May 13, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely hilarious! More excuses. When the Penguins lost in the opening round two years ago, it came out in JULY that Crosby was playing with a broken foot. JULY! Not five minutes after the series ended.

This is why the Caps will always lose. Instead of stepping up their play, they step up their excuses. It was the officiating! It was Green's sticks! It was unlucky bounces! It was injuries!

If Ovie was so hurt, how was he throwing himself into the glass after his open net goals? How was he still running people behind the play? Nothing indicated either an upper or lower body injury. The only thing hurt on him is his pride.

Pittsburgh players were hurt, too. Orpik had multiple stitches. Gonchar was playing on a bad knee. Letang had upper and lower body injuries. No doubt Crosby and Malkin are a little banged up. But they won anyway.

BB needs to shut up and grow up. Till he does, his team never will. What a joke!

Posted by: dan_comet | May 13, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN: Ovechkin strained his groin getting his knee out far enough to try to take out Gonchar.

Posted by: dan_comet | May 13, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

@capsfansteve

Wonder how much play the injuries would receive had the Caps won tonight? Probably wouldn't even be mentioned by that pathetic coach of yours ... you also seem to forget you were up 2-0 in the series and you choked, as usual. Not to mention outshot by almost 2-1 in every series. If it weren't lucky by your fantastic goalie, might not have even gotten that far. And to say that you hate me and my whiny crybaby captain and say that the Wings will best the Pens? Sounds also like sour grapes to me. Enjoy the offseason while I continue to watch a real team play hockey.

Posted by: 1hockeyfan | May 13, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

To crycrycry87:

Um, don't see many people crying on this post about reffing - or the injuries. In fact, aside from giving the team you root for credit for winning the series, most people are admonishing the Caps for not showing up for the last game.

We have nothing to cry about. Last year, we got to Game 7 of the first round. This year, we got to Game 7 of the 2nd round. I call that major progress.

We have quite a few excellent players with the Bears that will be coming up very soon. And unlike your team that needed a rent-a-Guerrin to help them advance, we got where we are with NO trade bait.

And trust me, I WILL have fun watching Ovie and his 10 million salary when he leads us to the Cup in the next year or two.

However, I am going to also have fun, in the meantime, watching the Penguins either A: Get beat in the ECF or B: (and this will be even more enjoyable) watching them get beat in the SCF - JUST LIKE LAST YEAR. Your boy Crosby doesn't have a ring yet, and I have a feeling that if ever does get one, it won't be with the Pens.

Posted by: Snowdog | May 13, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is hurt this time of year, that is the price you must pay to be in the playoffs!

Posted by: jpocasangre1978 | May 13, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to a great season overal.

My thoughts:

Trades-

Alexander Semin is not cut out for grueling NHL playoffs. And he has a tendency to not show up for games in the playoffs and regular season, takes untimely penalties, and has had attitude problems in the past. All together this just isn't the right ingreadient for a stanley cup contender.

Trade him. He can get us at least 3 quality players or picks. The trade get us players that can net us 30 goals total.

Fedorov - Retire. I love what you've done for us and the NHL. Time to hang 'em up.

Schultz - let him go or trade if possible
Morrison - let him go or trade if possible

Mike Green - I think he deserves another shot. There's too much potential for him to become a great D-man like a Niedermyer, Zubov, Leach, etc. He is still very young and can learn to manage the puck better and I'm sure his injury had something to do with his performance.

Ovechkin - Trade him. (ok, now that I have your attention) he is the heart and sole of the Caps. He's here until he chooses to leave.

BUT....

He has to improve his game in his own end. If you read the Candadian press, a lot of it is bias, but he does deserve some of the critisism for play in his own end.

The biggest knocks on him are -

"He floats in his own end. And cherry picks at the blue line".

As a die hard long time caps fan, and OV fan, I have to agree. Now, was this why we lost the series? NO. His game still works for him and our team because he is such a dynamic offensive talent, he hits, and that out weights that negative by a lot (as evidenced by his +/- in the playoffs)

BUT...and I want to ask you guys this...

Would having OV play more agressive and in his own end, and participate in getting pucks out of the zone with control, would that send a better message to his team, and also reserve energy of his linemates and defensive???????

Sorry for the long post. Appreciate any replies.

Go Caps!

Posted by: floms | May 13, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Snowdog, your ignorance and arrogance is unprecedented among Capitals fans. That is saying something incredible. I am a Penguins fan but I was posting earlier and never took the condescending tone, until now. Your team didn't need a rent a player like Guerin? I love Bill Guerin, but this team advances with or without him. He has 5 goals. Not too shabby, but playing with anybody besides Sid and we are looking at 2 goals and minimal impact. Don't be so sure of your future. Remember when fans were talking about the Pens being handcuffed by the Cap? Well, Backstrom and Semin are not under contract after next season. That is probably a cap hit, between the two players, of around 13-14 million. And ya know what? I will have fun watching the Penguins lose at some point. A playoff run is exciting no matter what. I realize not every team wins, and the fact that you have to tell yourself that after they absolutely dominated the Capitals in game 7 is hilarious and childish to me. So grow up man. Have fun watching the Capitals play golf around Arlington.

Posted by: 1992alloveragain | May 13, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION TO PENS FANS ON THIS FORUM, and any Canadians trying to pin this win on Crosby outperforming OV:

You won because Crosby has a better team around him than OV. Both players make their teams better. But lets look at some obvious points:

1. Where was the NHL Norris Trophy candidate this serires?

2. Where was Alexander Semin, the guy who is supposed to be the equal to Malkin???

3. Malkin (2nd line center) vs. 39 year old Fedorov (2nd line center). Nuf said.

4. Gonchar vs. Mike Green. That's a joke, because Green didn't play this series.

5. Our D are is a cast of glorified minor leaguers. Nuf said.

So, congrats for a great TEAM win.

When OV's supporting cast can catch up to the Crosby's, then these teams will be on a level playing field.

Until then, we are the underdogs, who just took you to a 7 games.

Posted by: floms | May 14, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

As a long time hockey fan and season ticket holder, I am pleased with the overall Caps season...but this is a business, and I think people are fools not to realize that some serious adjustment needs to occur with this team...the team is perhaps the most individually talented on the ice. Period. But solo-shows dont make a team. In my view, and having watched over 42 games at home live, weaknesses are apparent mentally...lapses, no coordination on offense, inconsistency, easily rattled. Some will say this is "youth". I disagree. I think the problem begins in coaching...the coach is a good man, but not a great strategist or Zen-master like a Phil Jackson in the NBA. Players need mental activism and molding...skill takes over on its own. I'm amazed the Caps got so far on individual skills, and it bodes well for the future. Some adjustments must be made on defense to bring in more seasoned talent and get the shots down on Varly, who should be so proud of what he accomplished. 40-shots a game is not acceptable...out of respect, I'll defer to McPhee on the moves...but I hope he is active in the offseason and not resting on laurels...this was a blown opportunity, only a softie would see otherwise...

Posted by: squirrel1991 | May 14, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

i would post a comment about what i'm really thinking, but i've already been banned once about speaking my mind.

so without using harsh language or colorful metaphors, can i say that the folks calling for all our top players to be traded, when it's obvious that they are playing injured because they are far tougher than you are, you have the intellectual capacity of shower mold.

the refs handed the pens this series. if you don't see this, you weren't watching the same games. the league has been shoving sidney down everyone's throats, and they aren't going to stop until his name is on the cup. but by handing sidney the cup, they make his inability that much more obvious. he can't win on his own without their help. if his name goes on the cup, it needs an asterik by it * by the way, the nhl did this for him.

so stop beating up on the caps, because they played one terrific season. and frankly hasn't brooks orpik done enough of that already without getting penalized for 90% of what he did?

Posted by: spinner-33 | May 14, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

This is great entertainment. Thank God I am off work tomorrow and have to drive from Arlington back to the Burgh. So it didn't matter when the Caps got taken to 7 by an underdog Rangers team? And how is a 2 seed ever an underdog, especially when they held a 3-0-1 lead in the regular season series? WHO THE HELL EVER SAID SEMIN WAS EQUAL TO MALKIN? That is just stupidity at it's finest. I am not trying to seem like a big mean bully, because I have gotten to know and respect a number of Caps fans during this series, but some people need to think before they speak.

Posted by: 1992alloveragain | May 14, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

The golf is better in Fairfax. (I mean, not for nothing, but it seriously is.)

I think ALL teams can use a Bill Guerin, but the way we were going at the trade deadline, it actually didn't look like we needed it. We needed - and apparently still need - D help. As for the salary cap, I thought it was well assumed that we don't keep Semin AND Backs, and going further, we keep Backs.

No shame for Varly; you get shelled when you don't have any help. I think we found our goalie, but we're going to have to make a call between him and Neuvirth. Hopefully we'll get some D help from Hershey, like Carlson.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | May 14, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

who's Semin?, what's so special about him?, I mean he's fast, but Kane's much more exciting, deke's with the puck, etc.....what an a-hole that guy sounds like today....what did you do Semin? a goal? nothing? you better keep it zipped from now on turd

Posted by: jsmartin3 | May 14, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I agree. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Bakcstrom. When push comes to shove, Semin is dispensable. You need an Adam Oates for every Brett Hull, and that is what Backstrom provides.

Posted by: 1992alloveragain | May 14, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

If injuries are the reason why the reason they weren't performing, does that mean that the CAPS have significantly more injuries than other teams?

Posted by: SarahKate | May 14, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

madden 091, I agree with you, just raising issues that maybe are more troubling for me than others. Bottom line, between Ovie, Backstrom, Semin and Green chances are we're gonna have to lose one in the next four to five years...who will/should it be. I love Semin, he's graceful and a good to potentially great scorer, I'm just projecting here.

As for 1992alloveragain, the retreating was a joke about where players will go, but a joke really isn't a joke if you have to explain it, is it?

Posted by: jck747 | May 14, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Varly earned his job. What more does a guy have to do? Face 50 shots a game? Defense is a problem, and has been a problem all year. Look...we can;t have superstars everywhere...the team is imbalanced. We can trade one key offensive talent for some added D and not lose much...this is not about love, it's a business. It's about winning. Ask the Red Wings, they will outlast GM in Detroit.

And I stick to my view on coaching...remember, Michel Therrien was in the Stanley cup finals, lost his job this year and the team still advances; i'm a fan for sure, but I also saw a pattern develop in Nov-Dec of inconsistency and offense based upon Wild West shooting...skill, AMAZING skill, got them where they finished...but that doesnt win cups...strategy, organization, teamwork wins cups.

Having said that, someone should publicly speak out about officiating, which was horried through several series this postseason...I'd say Bettman should check into it, but he's probably still studying the Chicago White Sox scandal for insights!!! :)

Posted by: squirrel1991 | May 14, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@ floms: those are words which I will take with me, as I watch the team improve (hopefully) over the next two years. But it's been a hard 7 years of season tickets, I have to say. I am still hopeful they can make it. I feel badly for Ovi most of all. I don't want it to be a Charles Barkley situation.

What do you think about the coaching?

Posted by: SarahKate | May 14, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

One final word on the season...

Special shout out to some players that really earned it in the playoffs: Varly, Steckel, Bradley, Erskine -- you deserved better.

Ovie, Backstrom, Green...with experience comes disappointment, and that can be channeled to strength. You guys are the future of the team (I hope!), focus on the mental game for next season and pursue an organized gameplan...

For the people who dissed Fedorov...retire or not, he put us in the series with the Pens...leadership is about the right moments, not Stats. Regardless of what you decide Sergei, the sport and fans owe you thanks.

Jose Theodore...nice year overall. Varly's gonna need some tutoring, and you're gonna be needed in some games next year for sure...if Vary learns French before English, we'll know why.

If you;re a player that didn't make the list...maybe there is a reason?

All in all, a good season for sure, and a memorable one. But the organization must stay hungry, and realize bridesmaid status is not worthy of the Nation's Capital! Go Caps 2009-10!!

Posted by: squirrel1991 | May 14, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

thanks to the Caps for a great year:

some highlights: Semin's mvp caliber play in November; Semin's goal on the Green lob - that play actually changed the way people play the game, now they know it's possible. The great games vs the Flyers, Pens, Bruins, Wings.

This team not yet good enough, but it's not just about the final outcome, it's about the ride and this year was a great ride. The whole team will learn and improve and the D will definitely get better. We could use another fast, young forward...

Posted by: WritingLight | May 14, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

well good, nothing makes a caps collapse complete without the requisite excuses that follow every series loss.

hot goalie
injuries

yeah, i'm sure the Penguins have no injuries.

green was putrid and lousy all postseason. A bad shoulder doesn't explain all the bad plays he made. And if he was that much of a liability, Bruce should've pulled back on his ice time.

Bruce speaking of, should also shoulder the blame for not getting his team ready to play tonight. No excuses there. He got outperformed by his counterpart on the Pens bench.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 14, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SarahKate | May 14, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

lol, that's what they're hoping we all swallow.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 14, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Crosby could be the best hockey player in the world if he would stop crying and diving. Watch a game in the next round without bias, he never gives up on a puck, has pretty much the best vision i've seen. Rarely allows his frustration to show and just goes out and plays the next shift. OV lets his emotions through too much and plays lazy sometimes..not saying he isnt a great player but he has a lot to learn, IMO.

And the Caps are showing that when it comes down to it, they are a one trick pony. If it weren't for Varly and OV, it'd have been a sweep.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | May 14, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

The Capitals wrapped up the division by the end of Jan. and from about Feb. 15 on they coasted. They never looked as good and never played as well for the rest of the season and the playoff's. But still a great season and am looking forward to next year already. Ovechkin will win MVP.
Go Caps

Posted by: duckyjimpond | May 14, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin CREATES--Crosby reacts. Not saying crosby isn't good but he's no OVIE

Posted by: duckyjimpond | May 14, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Yes, tonight sucked. However, what is so great about this team is that this is just the beginning. It's not like this team has a small window and it's about to close. Quite the opposite, it's a sliding glass door and it is just been cracked. There is a long road ahead for this group and I would be stunned if Stanley doesn't pay a few visits let alone one.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 14, 2009 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Dear Washington Capitals:

Thank you for seven+ months of entertainment. I'll see you back at VC in October. Go CAPS!

Posted by: AMHV2772 | May 14, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

@floms

"Until then, we are the underdogs, who just took you to a 7 games."

Am I missing something here?

The Caps were the 2 seed and the Pens were the 4 seed. Isn't the underdog usually the lower of the two seeds, I mean, just asking?

This was a great series with likely many more to come. Until then, let's go Pens!

Posted by: LEM66 | May 14, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@squirrel1991. I just wanted to say that you wrote a great breakdown. It makes me nervous that we had a bunch of amazing hockey players playing as individuals, not a clear strategic team (at least not in the play offs)

Posted by: SarahKate | May 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

This is so typical. All our stars were hurt waaaahhhh!!

Get over it. The only thing hurt is their inflated egos.
Ovie did not look hurt on the break away, or when he charged Malkin in 5 of the 2nd period. That is right ooops! he missed and clobbered Backstrom. Now Backstrom was hurt and hobble to bench. Was Ovie hurt when at 18 of 3rd he charged/ran into Gonchar away from the puck???
That psycho was lucky someone (Gill) did not clean his clock. Then he can cry he was "hurt".

Posted by: plzgrowup | May 14, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Was Semin hurt? Maybe his feelings and maybe his ego was bruised when the one player he dissed the most kicked butt?!!
Yeah Alexandra, there was something special on the ice last night, it was Sidney Crosby.

Posted by: plzgrowup | May 14, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Scoreboard.

Posted by: wacky123 | May 14, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

this should not be news to anyone. if you didnt think most or many of these guys were injured, your observation skills are badly lacking.

Posted by: doughless | May 14, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

WAH, WAH, WAH. Maybe you can lure Patrick Wah out of retirement. I'll send a nice bottle of whine for you to enjoy with your cheese.

Posted by: marsid | May 14, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse