Green returns; Ovechkin, Schultz, Nylander missing (updated)

Practice just started at KCI, and I don't see Alex Ovechkin, Jeff Schultz or Michael Nylander on the ice.

Ovechkin, of course, is out with a strain near his left shoulder; Schultz left Friday's game with a lower-body injury; and Nylander was placed on waivers on Saturday. Nylander is scheduled to clear waivers at noon today.

Mike Green, however, has returned after missing Saturday's game with an upper-body injury and appears to be participating fully.

Boyd Gordon is also out there and appears to be participating fully.

Update:Alexander Semin came off the ice early, and now it looks like Ovechkin is going to skate at the end of practice.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 9, 2009; 10:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Caps' offense still clicking
Next: Ovechkin joins practice

Comments

Nyls....where are you going??? Anywhere is good for me!

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 9, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the update ... at least Green returned ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 9, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Whats the deal with Nylander?

Posted by: MrObliviousCapsFan | November 9, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Anything to the report that Ovie would be out 4 - 6 weeks?

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | November 9, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Ughhh, longest hour and ten minutes of the season!!!.. I just want closure to the whole Nyl's situation.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 9, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't seem right to be overly enthused that Nylander is leaving. =/ Kinda' like casting lots for a dead man's belongings after the service. *sigh* Best of luck, Mr. Nylander. Here's hoping you find a team you like.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Was addresses in the last thread, Caps are down playing it and there is nothing to it and no timeline has been established.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I pray that the yahoo report on Ovie is false and that he will be back sooner then 4-5 weeks, I am hopeful he is back this week.

Lets hope Nyls was picked up off waivers by someone! Someone please take this guy off our books!!!

Glad to see that Boyd and Green have returned and are practing fully.

LETS GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Skins28 | November 9, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

So, if Nylander clears waivers (i'm guessing its a given)and he isn't sent to Europe, we'll just eat his salary, right? I've read that his two years left will get split up over 4 years and create a couple mill of cap space right now. Someone want to tell me that I'm correct or not?

Posted by: jmurray019 | November 9, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd have a hard time sitting Laing or Perreault right now...love both those guys. The silver lining to the Ovi injury is a chance to see the lines as they are...and they all scored in the last game. I was already a huge Laing-Stecks-Bradley fan and now the Laich-BMo-Knuble line is really clicking. Flash is scoring, Nicky dishing assists....good times. There's a load of depth floating around this org. I'm ready for Wednesday night...

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

My guess on Nlys is he is on paper going to Hershey for the minimum amount of time and then will be recalled. At that point a team he wants to go to will pick him up off of return waivers. Nyls had to agree to be waived. Not sure of the minimum time he has to "go" to Hershey. This will be over soon. This is a prepackaged deal agreed on by all parties before he was waived....my 2 cents worth. We shall see in a couple of days.

Posted by: RichC3 | November 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@jmurray019

If he is claimed another team takes on his salary.

If he clears waivers he is off our salary cap and we still pay him. We then have to decide to loan him to another team or send him to Hershey. If we send him to Hershey and chooses not to report we can suspend him. Not sure if it could end up voiding his contract or not.

What you are speaking of is if we buy him out. The other option is if a team wants to claim him on reentry waives, we then put him on waivers again and that team can aquire him for half the salary. We take half the salary cap hit for this year and next.

Posted by: ThePat | November 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

and by loaning to another team I mean European club obviously.

Posted by: ThePat | November 9, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I still have suspicions that Detroit is involved. With Fillipula out they need a center and with with Franzen out long-term, and that portion of his salary (larger than Nyls') available, they could take him on for three or four months and not cost themselves anything. The only issue for them is the contract for next season - but by then the NMC clause is gone and his contract is much less. We'll see...

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I was reviewing the NHL salary cap numbers

There are a few teams out there that have the space to sign Nyls and the need for offense/veteran leadership. they are as follows:

Atlanta with $5.8 mil
Carolina with $6.0 mil
Tampa with $6.0 mil
Columbus with $6.9 mil
Toronto with $6.8 mil
Pheonix with $10.2 mil
Islanders with $10.4 mil
Nashville with $11.3 mil
LA with $12.3

Its safe to say that the teams bleeding money won't pick up the salary (Columbus, Phoenix Islanders and Nashville)

Atlanta needs the Cap space to resign Kovalchuk.

Carolina and Tampa are rebuilding

That leaves Toronto (who needs scoring and has Nyls' former coach in Ron Wilson)

and LA.

Lets hope one of these teams takes him.

Posted by: jmurray019 | November 9, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

After Ovechkin, Columbus seems to have put Cam Ward out of commission for a few weeks (or is it months?) To me it seems that it should be investigated. I did not like their coaches' comments of "hunting down" rival players. It is one thing to be physical and another to aim to hurt.

Posted by: caraveli | November 9, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

OK, I'll cast the first lot.

Can't wait for Nylander to be gone.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I think the Ovi thing may be a cover up because they are afraid they may stop selling out the games untill he returns, especially if they start to struggle. Also there is pressure from ownership not to rush him back into service and risk making it worse.

Posted by: tigger_caps_fan | November 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

All the games are soldout, regardless. I think Ovi is just playing with the media. I think we'll see him back by Friday. Just a completely random guess.

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@tigger

I completely disagree with A, I wonder about where your head is at, but completely agree with B.

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Hope Nyls doesn't come back to haunt us.
Be careful what you wish for peeps.
Just like some of you think Varly could handle 70 games this year...ahem...

Posted by: Rocc00 | November 9, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@saintex I absolutely agree with you. No one should take him literally. He loves to joke around with a deadpan expression. It's one of the reasons I enjoy his interviews so much. BB on the other hand is a plain spoken chatty kind of guy and he says things literally. So what he said about Semin was that he's most comfortable talking to Ovie on the bench--NOT that he can't speak English, which he can. He is just a very reserved kind of guy and isn't going to chitty-chat about frustrations etc with just anyone.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 9, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

youngguns, yeah. Semin speaks English as well as Ovi - he's been caught on camera - he just doesn't care too much for being in the spotlight. What I find intriguing about 28 is that I think he'll always be a second-gun sort of player who will dazzle us with that genius for spells of time. Having him on the normal second line, or shifting him to line one on ocassion, is fine by me. I don't think we are asking, or needing him, to be the #1 (or #2 nor possibly the #3) guy on the team. Of course, by that standard, only pay him accordingly.

I think we forget just how funny Ovi is when he's interviewed - what a pleasure to have a guy who so clearly lives for the game and has the personality to match. We are witnessing rare times here in D.C.

Enjoy the ride.

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tigger_caps_fan | November 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

-------------

I'm pretty sure Opening Night was the only sellout so far this season.

Posted by: CapsChick | November 9, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@CapsChick

I am pretty sure most games are going as sell outs according to the Caps. You'll see some empty club seats at games because Washington Sports and Entertainment holds the rights to those tickets. They don't release them until a couple of days before each home game. So that is why you see empty seats. But the Caps are selling all the seats that they are able to sell I believe.

Posted by: ThePat | November 9, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

the only way nyls comes back to bite us is if he is claimed by a team and lights us up in the playoffs. if he goes somewhere else and becomes and all star, it will still be good for us given the ability to have our best lineup on the ice, this year and next.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 9, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@CapsChick

Posted by: ThePat | November 9, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm not referring to empty seats, but actual ticket sales. When you say all games are sellouts "according to the Caps" do you have a link to your source? I'm not sure where to see sales figures, but as I said I don't believe any games other than the home opener have sold out this season.

Posted by: CapsChick | November 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

No Ovi, but I'm looking forward to seeing the Caps this week.

Semin coming off the ice at practice lends credence to the idea that he's hurt. Given his play in the last couple I believe strongly that he is injured. You can claim he's soft, but he's been playing through injury, which is not soft.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

capschick,

You would be incorrect. Every game so far has been sold out. You can easily check the attendance figures at various websites.

Verizon capacity for NHL games is at 18,277.

So far every game that has been played this year has hit that Capacity.

Also,

Ovie was joking. He followed it up after the 4-5 week statement that he will be back practicing this week. People need to read the whole article.

Chesnokov has also stated it on his twitter that OVIE jokes with straight face and in his opinion he was pulling his leg.

Posted by: lightshow | November 9, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

So I love all the success the team is having and all, but I just found out that I am going to be in the DC area on Friday and getting tickets is much harder then it used to me. I miss the days of the Eagles nest.... good for Ted, bad for me

Posted by: UMWHockey | November 9, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@ lightshow - can you please provide me a link to one of those sites? I don't know what they are. I would be happy to be proven wrong. Thanks.

Posted by: CapsChick | November 9, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Capschick,

Again Verizon holds 18,277 for NHL games.

You can send Ted Leonsis an email he can confirm this for you.

Posted by: lightshow | November 9, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

UWM, well, regardless of sell-out status, if you show up outside Verizon near 7pm you will be able to easily find tickets out front - especially for a Western foe. I have a single ST and I ended up getting a club ticket for the Sharks early this year for $30 out front. I love the big seats! I just gave away my single 400 to some other guy.

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Season tickets are sold out
Individual tickets are sold out
Partial or Package tickets are sold out

The Jack Daniels thing isnt sold out
Club level seats are not sold out

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Was Semin taking Offensive Zone Penalties IN PRACTICE????

Posted by: carsonspence | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I get ticket sales e-mails a few days before every home game, plus the Dewar's club promos, etc. Made me think that individual tickets haven't been moving so well. Glad to know if that's not correct. Now if only attendance was better for the weeknight games...

Posted by: CapsChick | November 9, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

my 2 cents on Nyls situation. If Nyls ends up being picked up on re-entry waivers and we are on the hook for half his salary, this could come back to bite Ted with contracts for Backstrom and/or Semin.

I have to think Backstrom will be in the $5.5 - 7 range depending on length of deal, and Semin is already at $4.6...

Posted by: pch49 | November 9, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@pch49

We also have to resign Flash, don't we? I would say Steckel too, probably.

Off of the books for sure
Theodore 4.5
Pothier 2.5
S.Morrisonn 1.95

Maybe off of the books
B.Morrison 1.5
Jurcina 1.375

Others will minimal salary significance
Gordon
Schultz
Fehr
Sloan
Aucoin
Laing

Thats $9M in definite see ya later category...

Backstrom already makes $2.4
Semin already makes $4.6

If Backs takes $6M a year and Semin take $6M a year... Thats $12M

$2.4 + $4.6 = $7.0M subtract that from $12M = $5M

Take $5M from the $9M and we are left $4M. Lets subtract $1M for the reduction of the SC, which leaves us $3M.

Nylander only will make $3M next season. So that nets us $1.875? Giving us roughly $4.875M to resign Steckel, Flash and any other less than $1M per year player you want. Flash is he continues to play well should see a little less than Brooks Laich money. Steckel wont get much of a raise.

I'm pretty sure thats the worst case scenario.

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse