Green says he's 'okay'

Mike Green did not return to the game after being driven headfirst from behind by David Koci into the seamless glass here at Pepsi Center tonight. Green suffered a gash above his left eye, which was also black and blue.

But when I caught up to him on the way out of the dressing room he told me that he's "okay" and expects to play Friday in Vancouver. Green wasn't much in the mood to discuss the hit or his injury in great detail.

"It was from behind and it was kind of unnecessary," is all he would say about the hit from Koci, who received five minutes for boarding, five for fighting John Erskine and a game misconduct.

Coach Bruce Boudreau, however, did not bite his tongue.

"Please, the guy has one goal in six years," Boudreau said of Koci. "He couldn't play in the American league. If you're looking to get things out of the game ...I'm glad he's making a living. If this was any game, he gets on the ice in the first three minutes. He gets into his fight with the [other team's enforcer] and then he sits at the end of the bench and that's it. So what good is he?"

"Fifteen feet he saw Green's number - 52 - and that didn't stop him one iota from hitting him in the back and going for the head."

Asked about Green's status, Boudreau added: "His face doesn't look okay. But he's a pretty tough guy. His eye is black and will probably be closed by tomorrow so I don't know if we'll have him [Friday]. Hopefully because we have a couple of days before we play he'll be alright. To me that's just bush league hit."

Boudreau said he hopes the league "throws the book at him."

Shaone Morrisonn's status is less certain. Boudreau said he was injured when Morrisonn was "run" by Koci. But Boudreau wouldn't say what happened to him.

"I would say he's questionable at this stage," Boudreau added. "If we were going anywhere but Vancouver, that's home, so you know he's going to want to play."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 16, 2009; 12:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Avalanche
Next: Caps 6, Avs 1

Comments

Hahaha, BB's comments about Koci had me rolling.

Kyle Wilson for President. (how awesome is it to have a bunch of rookie call-ups doing amazing?)

Posted by: richmondphil | December 16, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Happy Green will be all right. That hit looked painful.
Some of the crashing into the crease was pretty upsetting too. I loved seeing Theo get angry about it at one point in the game. He had every right to be mad. The refs weren't calling it. He played a good game. Hope he was one of the stars of the game. He earned it.

Posted by: capsfan01 | December 16, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

richmondphil: We did a blind taste test cocktails with Grey Goose and Gilbey's (very cheap vodka) and the verdict was three people each for the two vodkas. So why spend the money if people can't tell? Vodka has almost no taste and I find Svedka very pleasant. I won't go below Cuervo usually for tequila (sometimes Montezuma) and I won't go less than Mount Gay for rum (hold the jokes, please) but I have a hard time finding a vodka that doesn't work for a citrus cocktail.

And the Gilbey's gin works with 7-Up and lime, although only Bombay Sapphire for tominfl1 collins.

Almost game time!!!!

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 15, 2009 9:27 PM |

Well that's because Grey Goose is not a very good vodka.

Like I said, Svedka isn't bad by any means, it's great for the price. But I can definitely tell the difference between Russian Standard and Popov. Zubrowka is that "bison grass" stuff from Poland.

I hardly drink at all, but if I am at all, it's usually vodka-related or a pilsener.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 16, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Did not see the hit on ShaMo but the hit on Greener was totally uncalled for. Koci looked like he not only aimed for the numbers, but added an elbow to the head as well. Intentional goonism has no place in hockey today. Koci needs to sit for at least 5-10 games and something needs to be done to the Avs as well. Sitting someone like Koci does not hurt the Avs since they can just call up a replacement.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 16, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Fleischman / Bradley / Wilson (!) are your three stars.

Posted by: DKSW | December 16, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

3 stars
flash
bradley
wilson

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 16, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Some Pyrat XO Reserve to celebrate the win, now that we've got word that Greener is okayish.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | December 16, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Koci definitely earns a spot in the Doofus Brigade in that special unit for the guys we all hate.

(Our team is certainly bringing out the worse in the other teams' goons.)

Speaking of goons, was Little Bunny Foo Foo of the Hares' hockey making too many hits on the Field Mice hockey team?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 16, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Koci's career stats. 2 goals, 1 assist, 341 PIM in 96 games. What an idiot. There is such a thing as being enforcer in the NHL, but generally they have some idea of how to play the game well. This guy is just a goon.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 16, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Anyone catch NHL on the Fly tonight?

Generally, I have no qualms with that program, I really like to catch it whenever I can...but tonight's Caps/Avs highlights left a bitter taste in my mouth (which I should think would be hard to do when that Caps smoked the Avs 6-1!)

First--they said that that hit on Green was pretty much due to Green's lackadaisical play behind his own net...sure, they mention it ws a cheap shot, but they felt Green should have more hockey sense than that....I am sorry, but by definition if a shot is determined "cheap" than why should anyone be prepared for it....Sure, I would love to have seen Green anticipate what was coming and get out of the way, but hockey isn't exactly a slow game or anything...

Second--After watching close to 20+ minutes of highlights from the Pens/Flyers game earlier in the program, I would have thought (silly me) that Caps could get some good coverage. praise too. Sure, they recieved minimal praise for beating a team that is overachieving and playing very well at home....but most of the focus was on the mistakes the Avs made, with very little mention of the fact that the Caps are indeed a great team. As mentioned before, lots of time was spent earlier in the program disecting the pens/flyers game, and though they spent ample amount of time talking about Flyers' mistakes, they always backed it up with how the Pens are a really good team, and able to communicate well and jump on mistakes...

Ok, sorry, just had to get this little rant out of my system...I generally try not to complain about such things (and do not usually have any complaints about NHL on the Fly...but saying Green was pretty much responsible for being on the receiving end of the cheap shot? Come on!!!

Great game, great team effort...loved how the D (or lack of Dmen) came together and played a pretty solid game. Laich is such a stand-up guy! Wish that puck had went in legally for him! And happy b-day Wilson!!!!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 16, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and in the last couple of games, it is very nice to see that Caps' alums are doing well these days. (Kono, Sacco, Billington, Oates...) Particularly loved Oates (wherever he played) and Kono!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 16, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

A COL fan friend of mine posted a link that showed Koci's stat line one game.

In case anyone can't read that, Koci received a major (probably fighting) when he had a total of 2 seconds TOI.

hahaha

Posted by: richmondphil | December 16, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

hahaha
_______

That is pretty funny stuff....that along with BB's quotes really help paint a picture of this koci fellow. Enforcers will always be a part of hockey, but I think it is essential for teams who have enforcers to have enforcers with some decent hockey sense at the very least....Do not think Koci really fits that bill.

I am just glad to hear Green is feeling better (I did not really expect him back in the game wether he was good to go or not due to the game being pretty much out of reach in our favor). And I hope ShaMo does get to play on Friday (after a few days off) since it will be a hometown crowd for him.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 16, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

GREAT GAME CAPS!that was probably the best 60 mins they have put together all year.From k.wilson playing his first game and getting 2 points(also he just played his butt off last night)to knuble finally chippin in.And i've been a fan of flash since his days in hershey so it thrills me to see him doin so good.I know there where/are alot of people that think he didnt have what it took to be a star in the NHL and wanted to get rid of him but ive always said he's something special so im glad hes putting all those haters to bed.If fehr can stay on track and wilson stays up and does what he does,that flash,wilson,fehr line is gonna be one not to mess with.And one last thing,I know i said it before and its petty but ,TEB,could you either keep ur hands in ur pockets or keep em crossed.Its so aggrivating watching ur body language with ur arms waving at the camera when you talk.Tighten up ur camera skills buddy!Just messsin with ya.No really!GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | December 16, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

"He couldn't play in the American league." -- I freakin' love Gabby.

Posted by: tfirey | December 16, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I have girl friends who can play better than Koci. Throw the book at him? I hope his a** is suspended for a good long time. Maybe Colorado will play better without him, anyway. CAMPBELL, DID YOU SEE THAT ONE?!!!!

Get better Mike. We need you!

Posted by: etriscari | December 16, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The Caps need a goon (enforcer) to eliminate this BS. That was the plus with Brashear. Next game v. the Avs I'd send the guy out vs their top line and tell him to take out the top guy. The longer he's out the bigger the bonus$$$. That would make jackass coaches think twice about "sending a message". It needs to STOP.

Posted by: bundy44 | December 16, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to give some props to Erskine too, for sticking up for Green after the hit. Erskine may not have won the fight, but he didn't get his face pounded in either. He didnt let up until the refs pulled them apart. I think Erskine and Koci fought last year, and Koci crushed him. But it is good to see Erskine sticking up for Green, and not letting Koci get away with it.

Posted by: aglatfelter | December 16, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

hahaha
_______

If that is right, then Koci certainly didn't take a run at Morrisson as Boudreau said. Sounds like he just wants him to get a suspension....which I can't blame him for.

Posted by: fedsfan91 | December 16, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Richmondphil...good to know somebody else has found Svedka, which won our own little vodka tasting here with 2 other guys. We sipped it straight-up...no shots, and got a good taste. Our "test" also included Absolute and the Goose. BTW, my drink is Svedka on the rocks, "NFL"...no f**ng lime.
And to keep this on the up & up about hockey, I hope GMGM gets a tough physical D-man (or two) with that extra cap room.

Posted by: scmonty1 | December 16, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse