Green, Semin, Fedorov Out; Morrisonn In

Here's the latest on the Caps' injuries:

*Mike Green is out and is set to get an MRI as a precaution later today. He just told me moments ago that he's already feeling a little bit better.

"It's too early to determine what's wrong with him," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "We're going to get him checked out. He'll get an MRI to rule out everything. It's like anything else, the next day you're sore when you take a hit like that."

*Alexander Semin will miss his third straight game with an upper back/shoulder strain.

*Sergei Fedorov is expected to miss his seventh consecutive game with a sprained ankle. He just told me that it's improving, but he's not ready to return.

*Shaone Morrisonn will return from a six-game absence because of a groin muscle pull. He'll simply take Green's spot in the lineup and skate alongside Jeff Schultz. Boudreau said Morrisonn was going to play tonight regardless of Green's injury.

*The forward lines will be the same as last night in Anaheim.

*I asked Boudreau if he's motivated to face the organization that fired him, somewhat unexpectedly, in 2005.

"I should be doing cartwheels and be thanking them for doing what they did," he said. "No one ever likes to get fired. But there's no chance I would having the time of my life like I'm having now."

*Boudreau praised Tomas Fleischmann, who scored his seventh goal of the season last night. He had 10 all of last year, but is now on pace for 31 and is making GM George McPhee look awfully smart for signing him to a two-year, $1.45 million extension last February.

"I want him to continue what he's doing," Boudreau said. "He's playing really well. He's the one guy I look at and say that plus-minus really isn't a good stat. [He's a team-worst minus-7]. He's playing very well defensively. I'm glad to see he's finally coming of age and showing he's a bona fide NHL player."

*Brent Johnson, as I reported last night, will be in net tonight. It will be his first start in four games. Johnson is 5-1-2 with a 2.15 goals against average and a .931 save percentage.

I'll have an update before the game if anything changes.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 20, 2008; 3:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green Out Tonight
Next: NHLPA Files Grievance Against Caps (Updated)

Comments

Whoo-Hoo...Go get 'em Johnny!

Posted by: caryh | November 20, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

In BRUCE I trust !
Go Caps!
Here is to a 60 minute effort tonight!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 20, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Great coverage per usual Tarik. Did you get a chance to catch up with Sutherby?

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 20, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

yay no more "Continue" button, cool! And thanks for listening :)

Ouch, so many good players out.

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: mauree | November 20, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Cheap Caps tickets for 12/2 and 12/4

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 20, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Sutherby got hurt last night (lower body, I believe, so I didn't get a chance to catch up with him.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 20, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

solid, just secured tickets to caps/flyers in philly on dec 20th, away games are the sh**

Posted by: _stevo | November 20, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread: It's too early to be worrying about the Sharks game, guys. Let's focus on the Kings for tonight, and only the Kings. Tomorrow's another day, and so is Saturday. You don't get through road trips like this thinking three games ahead -- you do it one game at a time.

Besides, bruised and battered we might be, but beaten we are most assuredly not, and last I checked, this team is at its very best in long-odds situations. The Kings aren't going to be a pushover either, and we're missing some of our top guys. Let's worry about Saturday on Friday and Saturday. For tonight, our problem wears purple, not teal.

Bummer on Fedorov. I was hoping for him. The other two I wasn't really expecting, but I was hoping Fedorov would be ready. Time for our secondary scoring lines to step up like they did last night and light the lamp a couple dozen times.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 20, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

i wish we got to see more of sutherby, always liked that guy and was always at clyde's after games. Nicest capital i've talked to in a social setting

Posted by: _stevo | November 20, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that the time Johnson missed won't affect how well he played before he got hurt...

Posted by: rachel216 | November 20, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I don't want to jinx it, but I haven't seen much mention of the fact that Johnny hasn't given up an even-strength goal in his last 3 starts. When does a streak like that start to become significant? It seems to me that if you don't let teams score except when on the power play, it means you're playing some extremely high-level hockey.

Posted by: sirbobalew | November 20, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to go off topic, but the girlfriend and I are taking a long weekend road trip up to Toronto to catch the Caps/Leafs on Sat 12/6. Anybody have any suggestions on places to check out? Bars? Restaurants?

One definite on the itinerary is the hall of fame, but other than that we're winging it.

And yes the Sombrero is making the trip with me.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 20, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Lets hope Green is well enough to go out an get hammered with Laich and Steckel after the big win tonight.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 20, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy-

Thank you very much for the ticket link. I just picked up two lower leveled prefered tickets to the Islanders game in two weeks. The Panthers were already sold out. I realll appreciate it. Driving from Ocean City is a bit of a strain but with gas prices down and thickets for this reasonable, how could I say no? I'm not sure if my wife or brother can go but I'll worry about that later :)
Dean

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 20, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Semin's out again?!?! What exactly is wrong with him? If it's not that serious, then suck it up!

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | November 20, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Posted by: sirbobalew | November 20, 2008 3:33 PM
-------------------------------------------
Congratulations, you just jinxed it.

For what it's worth, the longest overall shutout streak is 461:29, I didn't see anything for 5v5 in my 2 minute web search.

Posted by: Section117 | November 20, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero - how expensive were tickets? The mrs. and I are thinking about doing a canadian road trip but I'm scared the prices are crazy.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 20, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

oh and i meant game tickets.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 20, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Relax...Semin is not missed on the ice in terms of wins and losses. Get the guys healthy before they hit the ice at less then 100%. One of the benefits of being deep at foreward is you can have a couple of them out and not miss them too much. I enjoy seeing Fehr and others get opportunities to play more.

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 20, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I was taking a quick peek and realized that its the first time I've ever seen the Pens and Caps with almost identical records. Ever. Its like planets aligning for one brief moment in space. Weird. For once, we're 3rd because of our record, not because of our division.

Posted by: oo7 | November 20, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll sell my tickets for $15 for the Islanders. I'm over Student Rush nights.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 20, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

DannyBoy1975

Ummm. Where've you been?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 20, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@ oo7

Agreed on the reason for our being third being a nice one. We're also up to number 3 overall in the Yahoo's NHL Power Rankings.

Oddly enough, I noticed the same thing about our record vis-a-vis the Pens at one point last week, excpt at that point, GF and GA were also identical. Now that was freaky!

Hope Semin and Feds are back soon and that Greenie's shoulder is nothing serious!

Posted by: BigRed8 | November 20, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero, the CN Tower is kinda neat if you've never been (and if you're not afraid of heights). There's a glass floor like 130 stories up in the air or something ridiculous like that. You can always tell who the tourists are; they're the ones jumping on the glass. (Don't worry, the glass is actually stronger than the surrounding concrete, I think.)

Also, The Keg is a yummy steakhouse. Try Steamwhistle beer--it's nothing too exciting, but it's refreshing from what I remember. I remember playing a round of glow-in-the-dark mini-golf. Strange stuff; I'm sure it exists around here but I've never seen it (but then again, I've never looked).

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 20, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone got a pic of Jose'e new mask?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 20, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@Goskinsgo - Not sure...my girlfriend has a friend who works for a ticket broker and he may have hooked her up. They're a late birthday present, but I think we're spending around $150 total. There were some seats on stubhub in the uppers around $75 a pop or so last time i looked.

@Riddler- my pleasure. I'm missing that game to start the trip up to the great white north. $35 for a lower seat is a sweet deal though

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 20, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Actually, nhl.com has the Penguins ranked higher based on tie-breaker #3, I guess.

Posted by: bobxbob | November 20, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Danny Boy,

Go get your medical degree and then you can advise world class athletes and the GM and Coach...until then, shut it...

Posted by: NJNJ | November 20, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering how I'm going to stay awake for the game tonight. I'm dragging a@@ after last night....

Posted by: Steve_R | November 20, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

My only question would be, had Green been alright to play, who would have sat? Tyler Sloane is playing very well lately. Yes, he is matched up with Poti, but still. The only player among BOTH teams last night to have a -2 rating was Jeff Schultz. Is anyone else on the same page as me here? I am very glad to have Morrison back!

Posted by: capsfan55 | November 20, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Will see you next week. Put out a tip jar so we can all pitch in so you can get a camera. Come to think of it, I have an old one you're welcome to.

Just as long as bagasome doesn't steal your pics.

Man, I've got to let it go, already!

Go Caps!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | November 20, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

schultz is terrible, the second goal was completely his fault. I know sloan would have sat if green could play but schultz should have sat

Posted by: _stevo | November 20, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Just got my Caps tags. What a great moment

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 20, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Pens play in ATL tonight. I thought about going just to boo Cindy but I'll stay home and watch the Caps on Center Ice instead.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | November 20, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Juice is looking tired.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 20, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It's been quite awhile since we have had the depth in the organization as we do now. Normally, I would see the likes of Federov, Semin, and Green out and cringe. This season, no worries. Someone will step up confidently we will win! Ovie & Backs become unstoppable. Brooks in front of the net is invaluable. Flash scoring goals at a great pace. Tyler Sloan very steady on the "D". Wow, and we haven't hit our sride yet?!?!? LETS KEEP IT GOING BOYS!!!

Posted by: dsphvywght | November 20, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Juice is looking tired.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 20, 2008 4:57 PM
---------

Quoted for truth, and because saying that when you bench somebody still makes me giggle.

Posted by: _jordan | November 20, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Schultz and Jurcina both got abused last night... wish we could only chalk it up to being tired in the 3rd, but we just may (DO) need some defensive help. I recognize the cap issues involved, and that the help may not come in the form of new players anytime soon -- but we give up too many easy chances.

That said, and not to jinx it, have the Caps scored in 14 straight (non-OT) periods????

Hope to see lots of other LA based Caps fans at Staples tonight.

Rock the Red.

Posted by: Konofish | November 20, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Who tak's the Caps pictures on Flickr? They should get a shot of Jose's new mask!

Posted by: tURBO8 | November 20, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo

I completely agree about Schultz. I've seen him on numerous occasions at the bar in Front Page by Kettler. For example, Sunday morning after the Devs' SO loss. He always looks lonely .. he talks to the bartenders drinks a couple cokes and leaves. I wonder if he's not clicking with the team or what...

Posted by: 8285219 | November 20, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go CAPS!!! :) please do not lose to the kings.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 20, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, 828. Seeing that kind of makes me sad. Sometimes it just doesn't work out with one team and he'll end up with another.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 20, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

@washingtoncapitals
Got my tags too!! Already on the car and they look great!!!

Posted by: Erika29 | November 20, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I just finished reading the "MVP Venom" article in The Hockey News about Ovie and Malkin, and to a lesser degree Crosby and Semin (did they really mean to give that a two page spread?!?). Poor Ovie keeps coming off as the bad guy. I don't buy it - there has got to be more to the story. (BTW, I can't believe that Ovie is 22 pounds heavier than Malkin - Malkin just looks like such a big oaf). Anyway, I am tired of Ovie and Semin being portrayed as villians while Crosby and Malkin are supposedly the victims. I mean seriously, give me a break ...

Posted by: Boo- | November 20, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@boo where is that article, I can't find it.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 20, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

anyone have a justin.tv link? I can't find it on there tonight.

Posted by: ph0082 | November 20, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy: Go to yelp.com for local restaurant and business reviews.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | November 20, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse