Green Set to Play

Here's the latest from KCI:

One day after missing practice with the flu, Mike Green was the second to last player off the ice today. He said he's still not 100 percent over his illness but that he's "good enough" to play tomorrow against the Islanders.

"I'm a lot better than yesterday," Green said. "This time, it was just a cold that was going around. I went to the doctor and he said I didn't have anything serious."

Brashear Aiming for the Weekend
Donald Brashear practiced again today, but the sprained ACL in his left knee still won't allow him to return. Yet. Brashear said he's aiming to return Friday or Sunday, but Coach Bruce Boudreau said the veteran enforcer might not be ready until next week.

That means Keith Aucoin, who was recalled from Hershey today, will center the fourth line with David Steckel and Matt Bradley against the Isles.

First-Line Fehr
Eric Fehr is expected to skate on the top line with Alex Ovechkin for the second straight game tomorrow. In Friday's 5-3 win over Tampa Bay, Fehr had a solid performance despite not recording a point, while Ovechkin finished with two goals and two assists.

How long Fehr stays on the first line is entirely up to him, said Boudreau, who is intent on using the final six games to find line combinations for the playoffs.

"I just think if Eric can do the job there, then we have a lot better balance [because] we can put a young guy there," Boudreau said. "I don't classify Alex or Nicky as young guys because they have so much experience. But Eric is slowly coming up the grade. Then you have the same thing on the next line with Flash [who's on a line with Sergei Fedorov and Alexander Semin]. Then you have a third line with Nyls, Kozlov and Laich and we should have pretty good balance and get scoring from all three lines. If we can get that, then we're way ahead of the game."

Theodore Tomorrow
Jose Theodore is expected to start in goal tomorrow, which means Simeon Varlamov will likely start Friday against Buffalo. Varlamov is supposed to get another start in the following two games (both against Altanta) and then Theodore is expected to start the final two regular season games at Tampa Bay and at Florida. This can change, of course, but that's the way I see it shaking out.

Boudreau 'Impressed' by Rangers
Boudreau, as he said yesterday, didn't miss a minute of the Rangers' 3-0 win over the Devils last night. New Jersey, of course, is the team the Caps are trying to fend off for second place in the East and New York is the team the Caps would match up against in the first round if the season ended today.

"I thought the Rangers played great," Boudreau said. "I thought it was the best I've seen them play all year."

That's it from me right now. I'm working on a business story for tomorrow's paper. But I'll update if any news breaks.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 31, 2009; 12:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Aucoin Recalled and Green Returns (Updated)
Next: Brashear on Chirpers: 'I'll Hit When It's Time'

Comments

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh...glad to be able to read the rest of the post now!

Posted by: CapsChick | March 31, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Bring on the playoffs.

Posted by: usiel3 | March 31, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

3rd

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

bring on the playoffs so your team can rest for the Worlds!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

See the difference! Green is down for like a day...Sit OUT Semin Milks the flu like for two weeks

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Rags played really well, too. Maybe we don't want to face them. :)

Frankly, I don't care. We seem to play better against tough opponents. Playing an assending Rags or Canes works for me. I just hope we don't do what the Pens did last year - lose a game to get an easy 1st rounder.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I think NJ is the threat in the east. I know they've been soft lately (waiting for the playoffs to start?), but come playoff time I think they step up to another level, and they have balanced offense and decent D with great goaltending.

Thats why I think the #2 seed could be important: we may have NJD in later rounds and would rather start that series at home.

Posted by: justbrewit | March 31, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@ StanleyCup1907:

Or it was a different illness. You're not on the team nor are you in the locker room. Keep your assinine comments to yourself, thanks.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | March 31, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I was watching the NY/NJ game as well last night. I cheered when NY scored their first goal. I immediately turned to my roommate and assured her that was probably the first and last time that would ever happen. I explained the playoff (seeding) situation and she then understood. I told her to never make mention of it again. Was a fun game to watch.

Posted by: Fro_ | March 31, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Shari I am so sorry you are right it is a different illness . Semin suffers from a heart condition. Like in "HAS NONE!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907: FYI Semin missed 1 game not 2 weeks.

The most important thing this team can do right now is be healthy come playoff time. No reason for Semin to play if hes not 100%.

Posted by: twydawg | March 31, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

15th

Posted by: majiksea | March 31, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

ShariLeigh131

This is our very own troll. Please don't feed him. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

OH twydawg ... Sure REST!! BOYS!! REST !!!
OMG Semin has rested 1/2 the year!!!! AGAIN!! FYI he missed 2 games the one with a runny nose the other when he played!
By having all their guys rotating in and out of the line up will mean a early exit... But hell you guys know that dont You?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

In the top 10 according to TSN.CA, the Caps have 3 players in that listing. Positions 1 and 2 to Ovie and Green respectively. Semin is 7th.

Crysby is 8th.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Green will be ready to play! The Devils/Rangers game was nice and I love that NJ walked away without a point! Good Luck on the first line Fehr...I believe in you!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 31, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Better to be in the Playoffs than sitting at home, eh!

Posted by: boomer44 | March 31, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else see Avery in the Ranger's game last night? My God, it's like Asa Tikkeden (SP?) is back! When he's playing smart, he's a real catalyst for them. Tortarella really has them playing well...

Posted by: isaacc7 | March 31, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Glad to read about the continued vote of support for Fehrsie -- he's been impressive -- and look forward to Brash returning to the Energy Line as soon as he's 100%. Brads needs an "A" Enforcer, so he doesn't get killed out there.

Posted by: Caps16Fan | March 31, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Shari yes please ask Greg S who and when you can post. He doesnt like it when women speak out of turn on his board

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

DC Sports Bog has a post on Brash, by the way, that made me laugh:

Brash, On Chirping

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Glad Green will be back in the line-up! Rest anyone else who is iffy,it's nicce to be in a position where you have the luxury of resting sick/injured players down the stretch.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 31, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@ShariLeigh: 1907 is a twit and a troll. He's mad because he found someone to respond to him and now it's being quashed. Poor guy. It must be really hard to have that little life or prospects.

The Rags really did play very, very well last night. I was impressed.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

Thanks for the posting...made me laugh too. Chirp...Chirp

Posted by: Caps16Fan | March 31, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

kitty kitty you have me all wrong I am trying to help the Caps win a cup ...When I told you about Nylander last year you didnt believe me . Now this year you agree with me on Nylander Now Im telling you get rid of SIT OUT SEMIN but you wont listen again.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

ADMINS: There is an abusive individual on these boards that requires your attention, and the 'Report abuse' link is still nonfunctional as of 31 Mar 2009, 13:53 EDT. I request that you either fix the link, remove the link, or remove the individual in question.

TARIK, LINDSAY, KATIE: Please tell the admins to read my request if they haven't already, and please have them email me if more information is required. Thanks and have a great day!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 31, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

So I posted about the AHL awards and the Bears involved, but here's the announcement schedule:

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: Your statement in the last thread "Thats the trouble with no "NO CUP CAPS" Too many individuals with personal agenda's in a team game!....Until this changes it remains the NO CUP CAPS"

The last 10 Stanley Cup Champions have earned 13 regular season awards. Successful seasons by a team leads to both Team Championships and personal awards. Too bad Gretzky was setting records that probably will not be touched because his team would have been better off without him scoring so many...oh wait...Gretzky won the Hart, Ross trophies for 83-84, 84-85, and 86-87, and the Oiler also won the Stanley Cup, how selfish of him.

Oh wait, Lidtrom won the Norris last season, and in 2001-02, and the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup those years, how selfish of him.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 31, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes please anyone who does not agree with another user please dont post

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Joe Sakic is so selfish because he won the Hart, Art Ross, and Pearson in 2001. Oh, wait the Avalanche won the Staley Cup that year.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 31, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: For the record, the only thing Greg S. has done is prove you wrong, which isn't very difficult. Stop preying on the new posters and antagonizing others who do their best to ignore you. You'll be removed in due time. Until then, enjoy what little time you have left pretending to be predicting whatever delusional concerns you have with Alexander Semin being on the Washington Capitals. Had this been a car and you continued your backseat driving, you would have been most assuredly shoved out of the car by now into oncoming traffic which would have had little to no time to swerve from hitting you at which point, there would have been a celebration on this blog, perhaps larger in scale than the most recent inauguration events.

Best wishes to you after you're removed from the blog. S*cks to be you.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 31, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

fano... apples and oranges you guys need a goaltender and get rid of the cancer. This year its Semin. OV is a great player when and only when his head is in the game and not fixated with off ice antics

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

come on lefty you know the rules "No Personal attacks"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Who is the bigger tool: the Troll, or the suckers that get baited into a battle with the Troll?

It is so funny watching people get full of self-righteous anger at the obvious ploys by the Troll to get people to play with him.

Ignore him and he goes away. Feed him and he is like a seagull that will fly around cr@pping all over the place.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 31, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: You don't seem to understand that statement which you quote constantly to justify your stupidity.

"We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features."

Your comments don't analyze, comment on or even challenge the articles presented by washingtonpost.com. You choose to defame Alexander Semin, disregard statistics that prove your comments incorrect, and you challenge other posters for no reason other than to instigate ill will.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 31, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Prove me wrong in what I say and WIN THE CUP! Until than ....Game on!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

ok Left disprove this Stat ...SEMIN HAS YET TO PLAY A FULL SEASON!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey SC1907,

You better be careful, if Sasha reads this he might just bust out the 'ol war drum bongo playing on your face.

Posted by: CapManJ | March 31, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh is retiring the powder blues for the rest of the season since they suck in them. *evil chuckle*

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

crooks ....or you can come here and just post nothing about hockey . only posting how to get rid of non argreers

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: And your comments about Alexander Semin and his abilities, willingness to perform, and the veracity of his sitting out a few games due to an illness or injury aren't personal attacks?

@crooks_c: You'll note that he doesn't go away regardless of whether people respond to him or not. He'll post whenever he chooses to, regardless of whether anyone responds to him or not. Not responding to him doesn't make him go away. Whether you choose to respond or not, doesn't make it appropriate for you to call those of us who choose to respond tools. That's no better than SC1907 pretending to take the high road in this whole thing.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 31, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

To everyone other than the admins, writers, and editors: I wasn't intending to provoke a debate or to alter the course of conversation. My message was intended solely for the admins, but I don't have a good way to get in touch with just the admins. If they would take action or at least acknowledge the concern (even just privately), I would no longer need to get their attention. There is nothing more to say on the matter until the time that either action is taken or I am contacted by the administrators.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 31, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Cap man you mean Alex ( slap you silly )Semin ...Or is it Alex (silly slapp'n) Semin

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: No one has ever tried to deny that statement of fact. It's your stupidity to believe that there were valid reasons for him not having played. Whether you choose to use that as a barometer for his ability to play hockey or choose to discredit all the good he brings to the team, if you're given ample evidence that he brings a lot to the team AND has more than made up for the fact that he hasn't played an entire season, which I don't see how anyone could if they are legitimately injured or sick, you continue to rant like a fool about how Alexander Semin is the root of all evil and will be the inevitable downfall of the teams' aspirations for the Stanley Cup. Your comments are not appreciated. They're not insightful. They're obnoxious. They're insulting. You don't bring anything to the table when you make your comments.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 31, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 31, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The smartest thing I have heard since i been here ...Thanks lefty..
Now back to hockey talk

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

ok greg you said your piece now "Go lay down"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Caps fans. I'm tired of dealing with injects by people like SC1907, and then people using the "troll" label and telling me to ignore the "troll" or I'm just like them. Tarik, and anyone with power to do anything in here. If you don't take care of people and remove them when the majority obviously has a problem. This board, is going to die. I'm outta here for good because it's like having a kid repeat everything you say just to annoy you. That is what SC1907 is like. It was fun when good folks used to be here but the likes of SC1907 and Cheef have driven them away, and now me. For those of you that are Caps fans, I'll see you around Verizon. I sit in Sec 430 and am every game with my 16 and 19 year old sons. They wear news Caps jerseys and I wear a throw back. If you see us, say hi.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 31, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@GregAnnapolis: Anything you can do to get the problem addressed is greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping get this resolved. He's gotten way out of hand. I'm going to stand down until he's removed permanently. Again, thanks for trying to get much needed attention on this issue.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 31, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

JMU, really? Because if a team color ever fit a teams personality, it was the baby Blues!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

But lefty he is taking the spot of another player, that will give you a full season ...its not like semin does this the odd year !!!HE DOES IT EVERY YEAR . You had your chance to trade him or send him to the minors ..now you have to live with him. How long can you continue to be the NO CUP CAPS!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1: I hope you will reconsider leaving, but I will admit that I'm coming very close to making the same decision. I'm going to give it a little bit longer though. I still have hope that the people in charge can do the right thing for the community. Now all we can do is wait.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 31, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Coach BB must see something in Eric Fehr that I don't,because he's the biggest first-round bust since Boyd Gordon.These type players are nothing more than 4th liners,which in the NHL are a dime a dozen.He couldn't put the puck into an empty net unless he was 3 feet away.He's another in a long line of "soft" players that unfortunately,the Caps keep drafting.As a STH,I'm really worried that this team doesn't have the "heart" to get even past the 1st round.For proof,just look at the number of penalties the Caps draw in the first and second periods.....it's pitiful,and the reason is that the "soft" players aren't willing to pay the price,and do the things that cause the opposition to take them down or out.And BTW,whom would you rather have on our team,Eric Fehr(#18) or the next pick (#19) all-star Ryan Getzlaf? HELLO....

Posted by: roccky | March 31, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Seriously people, stanleycup1907 is just like an annoying dog. Just ignore him and he'll leave you alone. The more you comment back to him the worse it gets. He doesn't say what team he roots for because he doesn't want us to do to him what he's doing to us. so JUST IGNORE HIM. PLEASE.

Posted by: ZMANN84 | March 31, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Noooo....if you all leave then the troll wins.

I mean seriously, just scroll down its not that bad.

Posted by: CapManJ | March 31, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

fano & greg ...now you know how i feel when I look at the line-up and see Semin out again. I dont know how long I can remain a Caps Fan.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@ roccky

I must disagree on Fehr being "soft", now if you said Flash was I would agree. Fehr seems to be fighting for the puck in the corners and attacking the net quite a bit more as of late.

And I also don't think the team lacks heart, I think they just got themselves on cruise control for the time being until the playoffs start.

Posted by: CapManJ | March 31, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

ok got to go back to work ... I have to pay for my playoff tickets

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

see everyone, the troll goes away in the afternoon. It's when the computer lab at the high school closes down and he has to go to day care! Just ignore him, he does go away.

JMU, thanks for the link. My favorite line was "fans embraced the 3rd jersey." Made me giggle.

This 5 days without hockey kills me!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure there's a couple of stand-up one-liners somewhere in this turn of events ....

Sean Avery to co-own Manhattan nightclub

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Lee, not a problem. But honestly, what made me giggle: "The Penguins proved through the first three-quarters of the season that there are many ways to lose hockey games."

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The Pens fans must have too much coal dust in their eyes to notice that those Baby Blue jerseys are ugly

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | March 31, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@ StanleyCup1907;

It is hard to understand how you are so insensed over Semin. These guys play 82 games in a year and have precious little life of their own. If you are so shallow a fan to declare "I don't know if I can remain . . ." because he's out with the flu, then please go on and rag some other team like Philly or the Pens.

WE DON'T NEED YOUR IDIOTIC COMMENTS HERE

PLEASE TAKE YOUR ABUSE ELSEWHERE

And then again, You're probably from Philly anyway!

Posted by: dogdaze | March 31, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@roccky,

Hi from Florida. What is an "STH"? I know what an STD is.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 31, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Caps Fans on this site:

When I discovered this Caps Insider blog it was a revelation for me - a forum where fans of the Capitals got together to discuss the minutiae of the team. I have learned an awful lot that is not covered elsewhere, like salary cap ramifications, emergency call-ups, informed opinions on the play of the team and specific players.

The banter that is intended to simply antagonize people completely detracts from the good of the blog. No one will post here if they do not get some reaction. If the immature antagonists annoy you and you respond to them, you are digging your own grave. Making much ado about them only ensures that it will take that much longer before they crawl off to their next activity.

I am not bothered by their antagonism (I have small children at home and can tune that stuff out). What is distressing is losing a great resource for informed opinions.

Please focus on the intelligent, insightful discussions that make this blog great and leave the school-yard silliness alone.

Go Caps!

Posted by: crooks_c | March 31, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Finally out of meetings and can concentrate on the important stuff. :)

I've gotten to the point that I look to see who's making comments. If it's SC, Puckguru, and a few others, I'll just skip over them. Unless I want a laugh. I just don't respond to them because you'll never win. Facts and figures cannot defeat them because they will refute the source or come back with another opinion not based upon fact. One of the reasons I never talk about religion or politics unless it's an academic discussion.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

STH = Season Ticket Holder

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Embraced the third jersey? I have a sudden image of a Pens fan taking his powder blue #87 to bed with him and sucking on his thumb as he falls asleep.

Great link, jmu. Thanks. I don't suppose it's too much to ask to mothball them for good?

I think that of the third jerseys I've seen in the league, I like the Flyers' orange one the best. Yes, I know, it's the Flyers, but man those third jerseys are sharp.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

dogdaze

I think he's a Toronto fan, really. Maybe Montreal.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S,

Thank you.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 31, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Two weeks till the playoffs people! I think it is the best time of the year. I'm working on my playoff fantasy pool. Where do I put Ovechkin?

Go Caps.

Posted by: bigschu8 | March 31, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

@roccky,

I think Fehr contributes in ways other than by scoring. It would be nice though if he ups the scoring. Gripping the stick too tight?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | March 31, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

And the little clicks people have on this board are so nausiating they think their Holy than thou. I use to read the comments and respond, but now I just thank Tarik for his updates and hard work and move on till the next Caps game.

Thanks Tarik for all you do.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | March 31, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

stop responding to the donkey. let him/her make stupid comments to him/herself.

Posted by: doughless | March 31, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Those baby blue jerseys made the Pens look like little boys playing in their pajamas. Had to be the most un-macho color out there. And it was weird to see a Pens crowd that was at least half baby blue. Too bad they are giving it up--fits their team persona (and their fans) perfectly. Little whiners...

Posted by: CindyJennings | March 31, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow, someone is trolling hard today. Judging by its behavior, Im now convinced its a Pens fan, or a bot designed by one, they do have alot of free time on their hands.

Anyway, good to hear Green & Semin are ready to go. Im really hope to see at least one of the guys struggling to break out of a slump to do so Wed. night (ie Flash, Fehr & Steckel). It would be great to see Fehr take advantage of his promotion.

Posted by: cc415 | March 31, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I like the Boston 3rds. Definately hate the TOR prison unis. Hope whoever bought those got fired!

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I can't decide on the order of the top 5 for my playoff fantasy pool.

Ovie - Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Parise or Savard

Thornton has done nothing in the playoffs

Posted by: bigschu8 | March 31, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@rocky,

I'm not sure you can use draft position five years down the road to assess players. By your thought process every fan could say: Who'd you rather have from the 2004 draft?

Montoya, Olesz, Pickard, Smid, Valabik, Tukonen, fill in 16 other guys, or Mike Green?

Would any team want Getzlef over Fehr? Sure, but stacking them up by draft position in 2009 is irrelevant. Shoot, we could have had Shea Weber with the 49th pick in that same draft. Man, those teams that made the first 48 picks were silly.

Posted by: saintex | March 31, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@bigshu8

Well, I have Ovi, Datysuk and Parise on my fantasy team this year. If I add in Zetter and Savard, here's how I'd order them:

AO
Datysuk
Parise
Savard
Zetter

Posted by: saintex | March 31, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Saintex.

I have a similar order but I needed to see if Ovie should be #1.

Posted by: bigschu8 | March 31, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

If Giroux just set a single season scoring record for the Bears, why don't we bring him up? Aucoin has been good, and nothing against him or his play, but if we want secondary scoring wouldn't Giroux be a guy to look to? I seem to remember him having a couple of breakaways and quality chances when he was playing with the Caps...

PS- Its not a rhetorical question... is there a reason we're going with Aucoin over Giroux? Experience, maybe? Looking for someone to fill Gordo's role?

Posted by: griz0615 | March 31, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

To anyone who questions Semin's work ethic or heart, he led the league in every significant category through October and November while half the team battled injuries (including Ovie). As memory serves Semin led in points, goals and +/- for the first quarter of a season. Yeah, he may be a little fragile compared to Ovie, but never question his heart or work ethic. Leading the league in +/- is about the best proof of that there is.

Posted by: dkw9s | March 31, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree, bring in Giroux for Flash or Fehr. send him back down unless he miraculously shows them up, but best believe that will light a fire under the ass of those two.

Posted by: DrAdamson | March 31, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

To fanohock1, I will miss your posts. I enjoyed reading them this weekend.

And to all those folks who complain about Semin, yes, you know who you are, the time he missed with this illness did not seem to be out of line; i.e. one game. We had Fedorov missing 3 games. Green missed one game (and is now sick again). At least Green will be back. So, is this his (Green's) second flu (or cold) for the spring?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 31, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait until tomorrow. These four days of no Caps hockey is tiresome. GO CAPS!

Posted by: pacapsfan | March 31, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse