Green: 'We were absolutely terrible'

Bruce Boudreau was not a happy coach this morning. And his players quickly found out just how angry he was in the aftermath of Friday's 4-1 loss to Colorado.

The day began with a 10:45 a.m. video session ("It wasn't pretty," Shaone Morrisonn said.). Things then intensified at 11:30, when everyone hit the ice for a grueling practice that had many of the players hunched over, sticks across knees, after only 10 minutes.

"We deserved what we go today, because the way we played last night was unacceptable," Morrisonn said.

Did they get Boudreau's message? That probably won't be known until tomorrow after the Caps host the rival Penguins, who are playing in Philly today.

"We didn't play well," Boudreau said. "And when you don't play well, you have to make them understand that it's unacceptable. When you want to be with the big boys, you have to be consistent all the time. Finding the consistency, for sure, is what we want to be able to do. When you're playing us, you know what you're playing against every night."

Lots of things went wrong for the Capitals last night. But everyone I talked to today suggested that it boiled down to primary problems 1) almost all of the players had a tough time "getting up" for a struggling Western Conference opponent and 2) they once again had a tough night against a trapping team because, as has often been the case this season, they grew frustrated and then started playing like individuals.

"We didn't have patience last night," Boudreau said. "I was trying to liken it to, it's like standing in line for an hour and then you get two people away from the front of the line and you decide you've been waiting too long and you take off. That's what we seemed to do. We get the puck and then we're waiting to make the play we're supposed to make, then we way, 'To hell with it.' And we try to beat everybody."

Mike Green added: "It wasn't positive stuff [in the video session]. Bruce is honest. We were absolutely terrible. Guys, including myself, really need to refocus."

Since the end of the Capitals' longest winning streak of the season - seven games from Dec. 23-Jan. 6 - they've won 10 of 18 games (10-6-2). But five of their losses in regulation have come against teams who sit behind them in the standings and three have come against teams that wouldn't be in the playoffs if the season regular ended today. Four of those regulation losses have come against Western Conference opponents.

"It's not that we underestimate our opponent," Green added. "But it seems like when we face an opponent we're not familiar with, they kind of take it to us. I don't know what it is. Maybe because they don't see us either so they're not intimidated."

I'll have a story in tomorrow's Post, but I probably won't be able to blog again today. I'm headed to Hershey for tonight's game against the Phantoms.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 21, 2009; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps skating ... hard
Next: Today's Lineup

Comments

terrible doesn't begin to describe what I saw last night...

Posted by: shotfromthepoint | February 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

HA! That's to everyone who said the Caps don't play down to their opponent. THEY DO. They said it THEMSELVES.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 21, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

It's really up to the players to truly change the present attitude and play "consistently" game in & game out. Step 1 is to understand want mistakes you made. Step 2 is to understand what you need to do to not to make the same mistake. Step 3 is to execute the change correctly. Let's hope they execute BB's plans to the "T".

Posted by: puckman | February 21, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this came early enough ahead of a stretch of non-playoff teams that they will be able to focus and win the games they are supposed to not just the exciting challenging ones. A loss against any NHL team counts as much as one against the Bruins, Red Wings or Sharks.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | February 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Bruce... Consistency is the key. Now only if the players would not only believe that but actually play that way... Here's to kicking some penguin butt!!!

Posted by: isaacc7 | February 21, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

opita,

"Make a sound around a group of turkeys and you will hear the flock go gobble gobble for a while. Say Nyls on this blog and you hear a group of people go gobble gobble"

Posted by: Steve_R | February 21, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | February 21, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

On a fun note, Pens beating Filly 3-2. Sid just got pulled down, the Filly commentators are so making fun of him for diving. and Filly got a shorty on the PP

Posted by: Leeguru | February 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

3-3

Posted by: Leeguru | February 21, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

filthy philly is now 3 on the game

Posted by: HockeyFarmer | February 21, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve_R

I completely agree with you about NLYS. scratch that he is garbage all the time.

Posted by: HockeyFarmer | February 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

4-3 PIT

Posted by: Leeguru | February 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

pens Up 4-3 but filthy philly is on the PP

Posted by: HockeyFarmer | February 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Pens are looking good. Should be a great game tomorrow.

Also of course the guys are going to say all the cliche "we need to be more consistent" and "we need to get up for these games even against teams at the bottom of the standings". What else can you say after a loss? I'd rather have our bad game be really bad so they get it out of their system then.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 21, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the Bears game tonight, anyone else?

Posted by: Matt_L | February 21, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Granted that was the last thread (lines used) but my comment to Nylander on the first line -- ugh. I'm afraid he is sadly miscast as a right winger. (That's what we were stuck with against NJ since both Semin and Kozlov were out.) I was so relieved to see Semin back (against Tampa) so we didn't have to see Nylander as a right winger.

Semin is fine with Federov and Fleischman. That combination generally has worked well although I hate to see the F Street line (or the F Bomber line or whatever we want to call them) broken up especially since Flash and Fehr are so good together and they seem good regardless of who's at center. (Note: who was on the line with Backstrom last night when he scored his goal. Yup, Flash and Fehr.)

Why aren't Fehr and Ovechkin a good combination as wingers on the same line? We tried it twice (once against LA and the other time yesterday) and neither time worked.

Maybe if things need to be shaken up, try the following:

Ovi -- Backstrom -- Flash
Semin -- Federov -- Fehr

Lastly, come back Kozzie. Once he's back, the third line will be MUCH better, regardless of which line he's on. Either he can spark the third line into some offense (witness Detroit game) or go to the first line and someone else can shift to the third line (and we'll have 3 scoring lines again).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 21, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

4-4

Posted by: Leeguru | February 21, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

4-4. Great pass and finish. Sick. I love those bang bang plays.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 21, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

5-4 PITT

Posted by: Leeguru | February 21, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's game will be interesting. God I hope the company that owns the seats in front of me does not sell their tickets to Pens fans.

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 21, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Also glad that we play the Flyers before we play the Thrashers. Would hate for us to look past a lesser opponent.

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 21, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Broken record.

if this team loses another game then we'll see hershey callups again.

Bruce has to figure out a way to keep his team on an even keel. When they win the whole team is gushing about each other (Ovy, Green, Bruce). When they lose then its a grueling practice the next morning. All within a day of each other. Its getting old.

Lets face it, this team has won a few games this year where they haven't really outworked the opponent, they've gotten by on their exceptional skills. Maybe Bruce should be riding them hard after those games even if it did end up in a come from behind win after they slacked off for the first 2 periods

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 21, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Is it wrong that I plan to arm wrestle my son or daughter for the picture on March 1st if they get Brooks Laich or David Steckel?

Okay, I am officially tired of being mad about last night and am ready to rock the red tomorrow against those annoying Pens. Memo to JT. If you leave the crease like Biron did today, please drop the puck in front of a player wearing red.

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It's FedOrov, not FedErov.

Posted by: fnralch | February 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

FYI, right now I am getting all NHL games on Directv. Maybe because of Hockey day in Canada?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 21, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

kovalev scores right away, hahaha

Posted by: richmondphil | February 21, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Green was the worst of the bunch last night, he must have been hungover, because he was dreadful

Posted by: gtydings | February 21, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Steve_R,
I think you missed opita's point.

opita,
That was funny.
gobble gobble gobble
... gobble gobble gobble
...gob

Posted by: hock1 | February 21, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

gtydings--

I was at the game last night and you are so right! Green was as bad as it gets. The simplest passes he was not able to handle. He must be in a big funk after setting the goal record. Maybe his dad needs to give him a kick in the butt. It is very tough to watch. Hopefully Bruce will sit him down if he does not improve.

Posted by: rlzorn4 | February 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

SteveR
You ask: "So you're saying that a forward pulling down 4.875M with 27 points through 55 games played shouldn't be held accountable for their less than stellar performance to date? If you think Nyls's numbers this season are acceptable, I'd like an example of what you find unacceptable re: production."

No. I am not saying that, I didn't even come close to saying that, I am perplexed as to how you came to interpret my post as such.

I do not concern myself with money matters, I leave that to the group who loves to play and act like GMs, I love the game, the play, the players on the ice, that is all.

I think you missed the post where I stated that I thought that Nyls was a good player and that BB was a good coach but that unfortunately they did not seem to be a good match - or something to that effect. That is my feeling toward the subject of Nyl. In my opinion, he is an excellent player but on a system that do not utilize his skills for reasons way beyond my knowledge that can range from personality conflict to just not understanding each other (bb & nyls)- who knows? it is not working.

You seem to equate money with production, the two have nothing to do with each other. Like the stock market, the value of the stock has nothing to do with the value of the company. Let me put it another way, in a form of a question:
If you buy a 150K truck and then use it only to travel as a commuter to your office, would you be blaming the truck for not performing like a 20+K Toyota hybrid?

Posted by: opita1 | February 21, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

what about that play where the caps are standing around while the Avs player stuffs in the puck, that was horrible. Its one thing to get beat on a dazzling play by the other team, its quite another to have 2 players within a few feet of a forward and watch him try and stuff the puck into the net and not do anything about it

Caps will face some hard lessons in the playoffs because this team doesn't like to fight through checks and play a team that traps them down the middle. They like wide open hockey, which really isn't playoff hockey.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how putting Nyls on the top line fixes anything for this team. That OV-Backs-Nyls line was AWFUL when BB tried it a few games ago. I think that's a bad combination.

Posted by: CDon | February 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1

If you are talking about the stuff in the first period I agree entirely with Jose on this -- it was a really slow whistle! That said, it certainly does not excuse the goal! After the goal was scored I said to my friend, "where was the whistle." If I remember correctly, not long thereafter there was another stuff attempt and it didn't take that long to get a whistle.

Posted by: rlzorn4 | February 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm scared... have the Pens turned it around? I hope not. Two 5-4 wins in a row. I'm wondering if we should look into this or not. Have they changed or are they still the same team before Therrien.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 21, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Can Neuvirth start tomorrow?
The team actually focuses when they have their rookie goalies in net.

Posted by: caps28fan | February 21, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

I totally agree with your line suggestions....

Ovi -- Backstrom -- Flash
Semin -- Federov -- Fehr

Posted by: chombie13 | February 21, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Quote from the Pens new head coach Dan Bylsma:

"Mentality-wise," he said after his coaching debut when asked what needed to be changed. "That's easy. Systematic-wise, I think a lot of things would have been real hard to change. But the mentality of being aggressive, being on your toes, playing with speed and forcing the other team to deal with your skill, your speed, get to the offensive zone and stay there as long as you can; that was the message we wanted to send -- aggressive, on your toes and play with the puck in the offensive zone."

Sound familiar? Only we don't have the drive that the Pens do right now of have to win to get in.

Will hopefully not be 50/50 - Pens/Caps fans tomorrow.

Ohh and any Caps players reading this, Get over yourselves. Prove you can play at a consistent level or your going to be 1 and done again in the playoffs and be no better than any other Caps team in history, regardless of what you have done during the regular season.

Let's Go Caps, and kick Pitt and Philly's @rse! I am sick of them and their fans. Show them that they can't beat you this year for once, please.

Posted by: caps28fan | February 21, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree let's see Flash on the top line, Fehr didn't do so well, so why not. I still like Laich up there too.

Posted by: caps28fan | February 21, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Until Kozlov gets back, I think the two top lines that BB had were ok, that is:
ov, backs, semin
fehr, fed, flash

I think a third line of
Laich, Nyls, Steckel would be adequate
and of course the fourth will consist of
Brash, Gordon, Brad.

I think BB gave up too early last night, he should have stock with the two top lines on the third period.

Posted by: opita1 | February 21, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

From ATL airport wireless spot, getting my dose of hockey/blog

@rachel

actually, having seen the last 3/4 games (except today) of the Pens, I have to say they played really well. We'll see tomorrow.

To all the people that said that we're not inconsistent (which is ridiculous), well BB said it himself.

And to whoever brought up that the Wings have a similar record against weaker teams... pluuuuhhhhease! First of all, that would mean pretty much every team in the NHL. Second of all, have you actually ever watched one of those wings games? DET always play at a very high level. They can't win them all, but they surely TRY to win them all. You can't compare that attitude with yesterday's. I know it, many here knows it, BB knows it, the players know it, pretty much everybody knows it except some knucklehead here that apparently think that the Caps played at 100% yesterday and the the reason we lost was Theo and their goalie. Bleh.

Off to catch that plane.

Posted by: mauree | February 21, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

mauree, where are you going?

Posted by: rachel216 | February 21, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Glad I missed the game to watch my son's own HS team play a "stinker" last night. . . I love BB, making them watch how bad they were, then reliving my favorite scene from "Miracle," where the players do a serious workout after a stinker against Sweden. He obviously knows his team, and understands that for all the talent they have, they lack maturity. Tomorrow's game against Arm-Pittsburg should be very, very interesting.

Posted by: bucknelldad | February 21, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@Rachel,

going for a week in Italy.

Plane @ 8:15 now - time for more doom :p

Just joking, I really hope to catch that game tomorrow, which involves my parents having the connection, it being able to handle the stream, and they being patient enough to stand that the first thing I do when I walk through the door is to watch a hockey game.... hey but it's Caps vs Pens!

Posted by: mauree | February 21, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

Wow, Italy, that sounds like a lot of fun, you're lucky! Don't worry, if I were going somewhere and the Caps were playing, it'll also be my #1 priority. :) Hope you have fun.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 21, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

Actually when I listed the teams Detroit had lost to, I wasn't just picking any team below them by 12 or more points or whatever it was the other person asked about in relation to our losses. I listed the real bottom feeder teams and Colorado and Columbus both happened to come up. They seemed relevant as they are 2 teams we have lost to this year that a lot of people like to hold up as disgraceful losses of some sort.

I'm sure they give effort all the time every game, so do we. I have watched many Wings games this year. I watched them play us at VC from the 400 level. I definitely watched 4 out of the 5 games they lost in a row at the end of January. Bad games/rough patches happen to everyone.

Although for us it's more SINGLE bad games than rough patches for the most part. We might not put together 7+ wins in a row as often as say SJ or Boston have, we tend to win 3 or 4 then lose 1. But we haven't lost 5 in a row at any point this year either, which Detroit did going 0-4-1 in that streak. The Sharks just went through a 1-2-4 streak. I know they still got a point 4 times but I'm sure they wouldn't consider those games "complete efforts".

Big games coming up against Pitt and Philly. If Pitt plays like they have the last 2 games they may sneak into the playoffs.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 21, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

I'm sorry, last couple of answers to you were a bit rude. It's an over-reaction to folks that misinterpret honest comments... and I'm also still pissed about yesterday's loss. I can only imagine the frustration of people bringing friends for the first time to a hockey game and having to "excuse" the Caps.

If you see the Det games you'll also concede that they fight every single game, even when they lose 5-0. Same goes for SJS and CHI. From your posts you clearly thing that the Caps do the same, that's where we disagree. Ok. I can live with that. But don't call me "Doom and Glory". If it weren't for those teams, I wouldn't whine and be comforted by the fact that hey, can't bring the fire every game. But they do, so I whine :p

Yes it's frustrating, but it would be worse if we systematically lost to the high caliber guns, wouldn't it? And what is the big deal in admitting that yes, we stink sometimes against weaker teams? Even Green admitted that yesterday they were terrible.

Posted by: mauree | February 21, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

"Fedorov is cold"

Is Fedorov getting a little bit of a pass because he's Fedorov? I'm not sure he's playing to win lately.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 21, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Everybody!
Just curious about Cindy's reaction to Ovi's goal. Does anybody have a link? Has anybody asked what Crosby thinks of Ovi's 'performances'? (TEB) It would be interesting I think...

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | February 21, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

It was actually "Doom and gloom". I used it as a general statement not to you in particular. The only thing I really responded to in my last post to you was the Det/us fighting to the end thing. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I haven't seen our team "stop fighting" to any more degree than I have Det or SJ or Bos in some of their losses. I think we bring just as much "fire" every game. The players are all going to use the same cliches and platitudes that you hear all the time in sports, along the lines of "we didn't have our A game today" etc, etc, etc. Saying you played "terrible" doesn't mean you didn't fight in my book.

I definitely agree it would be worse if the "elite" teams mowed us down every time we played them. The fact that they don't is why I believe we are on that level, and us being involved fans wanting to claim excuses or "lack of effort" to explain losses takes away credit from opposing teams in my opinion and doesn't take into account that every team is going to lose against teams they should beat on paper. We're just as good as the rest right now.

Btw watching Bos/Fla on HD Center Ice...good game both teams just seem to be gripping their sticks too tight on scoring chances, 0-0 with 8:30 left in 2nd. Boston is getting the majority of the PP chances...Vokoun is just playing very well.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 21, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve

Fedorov is getting up there in age, and went through an injury, so I would doubt if he is trying to take it easy, so he has energy/health for the playoffs.

I think Fedorov deserves a pass.

Posted by: Ovechwin | February 21, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Man, Florida could be up 1-0 or 2-0 right now with how they've played at end of 2nd. Oh yeah, and Chara is freaking big.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

At least New York is up 2-0 on NJ!! If the score holds up, I will feel less angry about last night's mess.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 21, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I highly doubt you have watched every single minute of DET hockey this year. and if you really think they play 60 minute hockey and we dont, you are kidding yourself. no team plays 60 minute hockey and losses 6 straight.

its funny that when me and dave bring up the facts about all of this, you guys can still find different excuses, as if the caps get some sort of special treatment compared to the rest of the NHL teams.

NJ losing to the islanders, OH KNOW

Posted by: richmondphil | February 21, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | February 21, 2009 7:40 PM

the problem is categorizing the team as "worse" in the first place. There is no such thing as a weaker team. Green admitted we were terrible, but he doesn't say its because we "played down to a level". you guys make moyuntains out of molehills, and like i said, since the majority of the caps seasons have ended in misery, i really dont want to know how you guys reacted prior to this wonderful season.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 21, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

A shortie by Radek Dvorak! 1-0 Panthers

Posted by: rachel216 | February 21, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

a quote from my devil's fan:

" I wish these guys would show some consistency from night to night. I have no clue why we can roll through the elite teams and get stopped by the bottomfeeders. I expect us to win every single 82 regular season games and expect the goalies to make every single save. Anything less, is lazy, cute inconsistent hockey."

Posted by: richmondphil | February 21, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

@Ovechwin

I can understand age, but nobody deserves a pass for half effort it's contagious on-ice.
It's not just stats, it's his visible play/effort that results in the stats.

Laich has been off but I'd make him 2nd line center. Nylander hasn't been doing any better and Laich will pay the price.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 21, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Devils and Bruins will lose. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 21, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

omg...Devils AND Bruins AND Philly lose? Guess the Top 4 in the East were just playing down to their opponents level last 2 days...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

seriously though, buf and florida stayed in step with the pens, so they still stay out of the top 8 bubble.

awesome.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 21, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

The Bears win with 1 second to go in OT! Aucoin scores with an assist from Giroux.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 21, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

All these top East Coast teams decided to "play down" to their opponents this weekend. :)

Posted by: ejohnsto | February 21, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I really like RichmondPhil's point: there's a diff between 'stinking' and playing down to teams. DET looked better against Wild (tonight) than Caps did against COL. Wild and Avs took all the points. It's chaos, I tell ya.
No wonder they play the games! See you tomorrow.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 21, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

should be a good one tomorrow. crosby and malkin are coming off a hot win against philly tonight.

hopefully philly ran them enough that they are pooped.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 21, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

after the game against the Habs I knew the Avs game would be tough. It was your classic "trap game" . Win an emotional game in the shoot-out, playing a team out down in the standings, and a following game against a rival. Bruce knew it and warned them.

I also believe you need games like that to keep the long term focus and to remind you what needs to be done to win.

Enough doom and gloom, lets carry-on!
Pens!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 21, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Was meant to be Rock the Pens!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 21, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck tomorrow Caps...feed crosby muthfulls of "semin" hahahaha

for ur viewing pleasure malkin dancing to russian techno

Posted by: masterx09 | February 22, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: masterx09 | February 22, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Clearly the guys have tuned BB out...time for him to go. Anyone have Butch's number? ;P

Posted by: curunduraj | February 22, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

I just listened to BB's "Explanation" for promoting Nylander to Ov's line. WHAT A CROCK! That was McPhee's call. No doubt about it. Michael has truly stunk out the joint for the majority of the season. And, if anything, he's getting progressively worse. I have to believe George is praying Nylander will get a couple of Ov assists ( Which really ain't very difficult to do ) so that some sucker gm will take this abatros off of his hands. For sure, WE ALL KNOW HE HASN'T EARNED AN INCREASE IN PLAYING TIME. He deserves being demoted to S. Carolina. Maybe he can "Find" his game down there. But, we know that's never going to happen.

Posted by: Puckguru | February 22, 2009 2:26 AM | Report abuse

They play down to their opponent:

Brooks Laich: "Some games we're just able to get up for. We know when we're playing Boston that it's going to be a huge game that can potentially change the standings. And then sometimes when you haven't seen a team, there's not that rivalry there. Over the course of 82 games-we're professional althletes, but we're human and sometimes it's hard to get up for every single game."

That explains it.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Good thing is they'll have absolutely NO problem getting up for today's game... but it IS a 12:30 games, hopefully that doesn't affect them that much.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey, who thinks Ovie will hit Evgeni hard today???!!! Since their feud is supposedly over.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Nah, I don't think the hitting will stop, they were on the same "team" in Montreal.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

And the last 2 12:30 games Ovechkin played like a madman.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

TARIK! and Fans ---- is it just me or what? I can't find any article about today's game with the Pestguins on line. WTF? ummmm? Have Tarik and Katie ran off? with Cindy?

Posted by: dezlboy1 | February 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I thought the Penguins won that game in Philly fair and square... that's until I saw the highlights and saw that the Pens got a cheap goal because Marty Biron was being an idiot, what the heck was he doing? Some goalies should be tied to their net. I hate when goalies want to do everything and wander off and then make themselves look like idiots, like Biron did, they gave that game to the Pens.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

It was nice to meet some of the ladies yesterday at Hockey n Heels. During our film session, Bruce was constantly cracking about how bad they were Friday night. "And this is our neutral zone forecheck, which we obviously didn't do last night." "This is what is *supposed* to happen when we win an offensive zone draw when we're trying to be aggressive instead of passive." Pretty much every system he was joking didn't happen. Was really cool to meet him and the players. BTW, for those HnH conspiracy theorists, Flash, Schultz, Gordo, & Neuvy were the players there yesterday. So who gets traded? lol
Gotta get ready to head to VC. Enjoy the game!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

UPDATE: Can you feel it?

Glad you asked here it is:

Just want to thank everyone for their input making this info better each time.

Is everyone prepared for the 21-game salute?

Picture perfect heading into the stretch. Is anyone more excited than I about the beginning of the stretch run?

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run! All we need is a veteran puck moving defensman.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 22, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'll be at that Penguins game on March 8th. I can't wait!

Posted by: ejohnsto | February 22, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

TRADE WINDJAMMERSOUTH TO SOME TEAM IN POLAND.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

PuckGuru is way ahead in his thinking on GMGM & NYLS.

That is the most reasonable expalination I've heard for playing him up.

Nyls could be a good trade bait, and if PG is correct and Nyls sees the writing on the wall, the NTC and his value to some other club (he is still a very good player, just not flourishing with us right now)

Posted by: WhyGo | February 22, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

then PG will get my respect for his insight.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 22, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse