Green's 'bell rung,' expects to play

Okay, now that I'm done with my story for tomorrow's paper, I can fill you in on the latest regarding Mike Green and Shaone Morrisonn.

Green said his left eye was almost swollen shut when he woke up this morning, but that swelling had subsided enough for him to practice with the team. He also said David Koci's headshot/check from behind Tuesday night left him a little dazed, but his head, too, is much better.

In other words, the Caps are pretty much going to have to hide Green's skates to keep him out of Friday's lineup.

"I'm good, I can see," Green said, sporting a badly bruised eye with dozens of stitches near his eyebrow. "I got my bell rung and felt a little woozy, but nothing like I couldn't remember what happened."

As for Morrisonn, he also practiced today. But afterward, Coach Bruce Boudreau said he wanted to see the defenseman skate tomorrow before determining whether he'll face the Canucks.

Morrisonn didn't want to discuss what kept him off the bench in the third period. But Boudreau confirmed that it was a high hit by Koci in the first period of Tuesday's 6-1 win in Denver.

"Look at his hit on Morrisonn," Boudreau said. "If Morrisonn doesn't move his head, that elbow is thrown right at the head. Who knows what would have happened."

Speaking of Koci, the NHL has not handed down any supplementary discipline for his hit on Green. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's not coming. Colin Campbell has until the day of the Avalanche's next game -- which is Saturday -- to make a ruling.

The Caps, obviously, hope the league comes down hard in an effort to send a message against headshots, which has been a hot topic among the league general managers this season. (Check out my story in tomorrow's paper for some pretty strong quotes from GM George McPhee, who is one of the more outspoken managers on the subject.)

"I feel like I was in a [vulnerable] situation on the ice and I didn't see him coming," Green said. "I felt like it was from behind me and I couldn't protect myself, and that's why it was different."

Boudreau added: "His shoulder hit Mike's head. It was a headshot in my mind all the way -- and from behind to boot. A similar incident happened in the [Ontario Hockley League] in October and the kid got banned for life. There's no way [Koci] would have been on the ice if the score wasn't 5-0 at the time."

In other news, Semyon Varlamov skated lightly for the second straight day, which is encouraging. But it's still unclear when he's going to get his next start, though.

Boyd Gordon and Quintin Laing also skated, meaning they are also inching toward returning to the lineup. Gordon said his problematic back has not flared up since returning to practice this week while Laing is also working his way back into game shape. But he's still wearing a full face cage, and still has rubber bands keeping his jaw aligned.

I'll check in from GM Place tomorrow afternoon with another update from practice, which is scheduled to start at 1:15 p.m. out here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 16, 2009; 8:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green, Morrisonn practicing
Next: Morning roundup: 'Unnecessary' hit causes a stir

Comments

Does anyone know what the longest consecutive streak of 2 goal scorers without a hat trick is? We must have had 15 2 goal games by our players, but not trick yet.

Doesn't really matter but it would be nice to see one, keeps the season exciting.

Posted by: BACKS | December 16, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla: I could be persuaded to consider this as a business, except that you used th F-word.

Free???????????

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 16, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

hahaha ok ok. not free for anyone. except me? we could partner up on this, ill do the PR work, will work for good food :)

Posted by: mrszilla | December 16, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrszilla | December 16, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Getting one's "bell rung" and being "woozy" - for the second time in a week - appears to represent a possible head injury. Seems to me Mike Green needs to be checked for a concussion. Not sure why there is no mention of medical clearance. Mike Green is a gifted player - but we need to be sure he's OK. A young hockey player is in no position to make a judgment on his medical condition after last night's hit.

Posted by: remy117 | December 16, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea what the pros do exactly to assess concussion, but certainly they would have Green checked out??? He has had a couple of rough games lately.

My middle son's high school hockey team is using Impact testing to establish a cognitive baseline and will retest whenever there's a suspicion of concussion.

I would expect this to be standard for the pros.

Posted by: Steakum | December 16, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

A catering service based on sports teams isn't a bad idea, not if you have a town like DC with all four + soccer.

Of course, not everyone is as superstitious as I am (I wouldn't allow carrots to be eaten while playing the Flyers and it worked, 8-2).

Now, how many do this - do you put the tv volume on certain levels? For instance, when Caps play, I refuse to put tv volume on an odd number. Heaven forbid the tv could be on 13!!! Even 11 is bad. My favorite volume is Peter Bondra (12), but I'll also take Kelly Miller/Matt Bradley (10). 8 isn't loud enough - sorry, Ovi. Flash and Fehr are OK but then I might get yelled at for being too loud. And I can't bark back at mrstominfl1 because she cooks the food. You can't bite the hand that feeds. If I ever spat with her, the Caps lose. The hockey gods are unforgiving on that one. One cross word or sarcastic comment out of me and the penalty is swift and sure.

"You know, that dinner could have been better."

Announcer: "And the Rangers score!"

I've learned. God knows, the hard way.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 16, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

So, if you must have beef during the road trip, tomorrow is the day.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 16, 2009 7:24 PM
------------------------------
I goofed, Tom. I had steak tonight. But I'm already planning crab cakes for Friday so that should be ok. I'm not a wine drinker but I'm thinking maybe a Molson or two. Or is Canadian beer a no-no when the opposing team is Canadian?

Posted by: tess2201 | December 16, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

To Boyd Gordon,

Please do not attempt to re-injure yourself, take some more time and you will be fine...see you in July.

Posted by: opus1m | December 16, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

OK, has Captain Jim Kelley, company commander, Doofus Brigade, weighed in on the Koci hit?

Let's review the facts...Ovi hits Gleason. For sure, a penalty. Gleason misses half a shift. Ovi is villified by Lt. Kelley. Now, we have a full-court charge by Koci that recalls Dale Hunter at his chippiest, Green plastered into the glass, gets "several dozen" stitches and misses 25 mins of game time. Woozy afterward (Gleason was fine).

OK, I went to SI website. Found nothing on Koci hit (did though find some pictures of gals wearing only make-up).

I call this a "double standard" (and not cuz of those gals).

C'mon, Captain Kelley, is it that you hate the Caps, hate Russians or hate Ovechkin? Or do you just work for SI and write those bogus articles to get time with those swimsuit gals?

I myself would never write or say anything just to get on the good side of a whole group of beautiful women. Never.

signed, "tiger" tominfl1

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 16, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

hahahaha no i dont have any superstitions about the volume level but my tv doesnt tell me what number its at so thats probably why! i do have superstitions about where i sit etc, playoffs those become even harsher and include outfits that cannot be changed. would be hard... and unsanitary to do that during the regular season so thats a special post-season one.

for friday ill probably stick to white beers, some hoegaarden or blue moon type. that or white wine... not sure about food but ill make it work! shouldnt we all avoid seafood bc of the canuck logo :)

Posted by: mrszilla | December 16, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Could not agree more that Green MUST get his head checked by a team doctor at a minimum and perhaps by an outside doctor....this should not be a discretionary matter for either the coach or the player, as they have a short term conflict of interest. This should be policy set by Leonsis and McPhee. I find the disregard for the post-hockey well being of players (same case in football) to be appalling. I am guessing that there is a 50 50 chance Green has a concussion based on what I have seen and read. Also, Koci should be suspended for 10 games, 5 for Green and 5 for Morrison. Thugs like that should ideally be subjected to three stikes and you're out...in other words, one more dirty hit and the season is over.

Posted by: gocaps2009 | December 16, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

tess: Really, I'm thinking this should be OK. The way I look at it, today and tomorrow are kinda "interim" days.

First, let me say that I wholeheartedly support your choice of steak for dinner tonight. (Actually sounds like you eat pretty well and I know where to go if I'm ever in Hershey.) ShaMo was home, Karl was home, so...OK.

Now, the crab cakes. It's really hard to match spicy crab cakes with wine. Beer, truly, is the much better choice. Would we want a cheap, half-a$$ed beer like Bud Light? A beer that mirrors Crysby's personality?

Ugh. No.

You have chosen responsibly. Now, me, I'd opt for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. There you have a beer from NoCal that can stand up to those crab cakes. I might even go Guinness Stout or go black & tan. But a Molson? A true hockey fan can NEVER go wrong having a Molson during a game. As a child in Detroit watching HNiC on Ch 9 in Windsor, ON I can tell you I heard the Molson jingle a million times! "Molson, Canadian, lager beer!"

Stay thirsty, my friend. And hungry, too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 16, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I had thought that the food and wine rules (red meat and red wine for home and white meat and white wine) didn't apply on off days.

Have we planned our menu choices based on the Caps schedule? No, we haven't.

But I usually try to wear a dark blue suit (with red top) to work when the Caps are playing. Or, on casual day (or non-work days), blue slacks with red top. Hey I got to rock the red whenever I can.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 16, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I worry a bit when I see euphemisms like "got his bell rung" used. I suspect that the NHL has not caught up with the latest medical information on head injuries. I'd like to think that Ted is smart enough to be proactive with his players, even if the league is not.

Posted by: zmega | December 16, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope Green's been medically cleared to play. Both he and Morrisonn have taken their lumps. Morrisonn has already missed time due to a concussion this year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 16, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

signed, "tiger" tominfl1

Posted by: tominfl1

I'm not surprised that there is nothing on Koci--he's just not that interesting of a player. On one of my posts today at Puck Daddy I think I stated that I thought Ovi was actually being held to a double standard as the star player who gets to be the scapegoat for the numerous questionable hits, slew foots, spearings, boardngs, etc. by all star players in the league.

Now your dinner sounds great, but I can't handle the superstitions. It's getting harder and harder to watch: which way am I sitting? on the left or the right? Am I clasping my hands the right way. I remind myself that it doesn't matter and yet I will still fret. The mind is a crazy thing.

Loved Wilson out there, and this is from a poster who was quite taken with Matty. How exciting is it to have both of them in the wings.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 16, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Well call me naive but I simply cannot believe that we would put these guys back on ice without checking them over. They are an inestment.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 16, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@capsyoungguns
From various things I've read in Hockey News and other publications, the League and the NHLPA have very clear rules concerning head injuries. Players are tested in training camp to establish a baseline standard for each player. Following any possible head injury they must be tested again and must meet those original baseline standards before being allowed back on the ice. I'm sure the Caps are following those rules. You are right; they are very valuable investments.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 16, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

tess

It is just so much more fun and fulfilling to automatically assume that the team or the player do not look out for their wellfare as much as possible. Of course all NHL teams have mechanisms in place for potential injuries but unless the team clears it with the bloggers, then the team is taking advantage of the players.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 17, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

So much for the SouthLeast as 3 of 8 in Eastern Conference Playoff position are SE division teams (WSH, Atl, FLA)

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 17, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm livid about the Koci hit on Green. I would have absolutely no hesitation, and would accept all consequences were I to see him let's say, eating in a restaurant, back to me, and delivering successive blows to his head with my Louisville slugger. His role is why professional Hockey can't get the fan base to put it up there with the other major sports. Koci is garbage, and should be banished from the professional ranks. Keeping refuse such as the waste product that he is sends a message that it's alright to maim when you'r being blown out. My only hope is that he gets his out on the ice, or be dismissed permanently. If the league wants to show it has a pair, it should deal harshly with this one goal in a career, piece of trash.

JJV

Posted by: jv_cfpllc | December 17, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

@wocoliz

Does Smokin Al read this blog? Haha. But it's no surprise to me really. Volchenkov is the perfect deadline addition, if any.

@icehammer

Yes I did, and that weekend is the weekend that she starts her new job/classes. I will get back to you through email in a day or two to let you know for sure. However, if you have someone else already willing to buy them, then go right ahead. A road trip that weekend isn't looking as ideal as I thought it would be. I'll email you tonight/tommorow and let you know for sure. Thanks.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 17, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I gotta say, I am quite surprised that a repeat offender like Koci did not get suspended.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 17, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Green is plenty tough, and needs an mri or brain scan at minimum. Just look at Pothier's lengthy recovery for example.

Koci on the other hand needs to be sent a strong message about his dangerous behavior. Problem there is, if he can't roam around the ice to maime, injure and take the other player's heads off, what redeeming hockey talents does he posess?

None.

Posted by: dogdaze | December 17, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

There's a simple way to take care of the incident that happened to Mike Green, as well as kneeing and headshots.

--Intentional blow to the head is an automatic 10 minute penalty.
--Boarding is an automatic 8 minute penalty.
--Kneeing someone is an automatic 6 minute penalty.

In addition, to make sure that penalties aren't taken when a game is lost (as in the Colorado game), or near the end, each of these penalties will result in an extra 5-minutes tacked on to the beginning of the offending team's next game.

Forget suspensions, once you have powerplays that range from 6 to 10 minutes (like the Philly game) as well as a 5 minute penalty the following game, these cheapshots and plays that can potentially impair a player for life will be gone within a single season--they will be surgically removed from the game for good. Colorado could probably care less if Cochi gets suspended, but how would the feel if the team had to play through an 8-minute penalty kill in their game against Washington as well as a 5-minute penalty to start their next game.

Also, I guarantee that penalty-kill units will very quickly start to despise players on their team that resort to these types of tactics. It's an organizational culture change for the NHL that's way overdue. This would get results immediately. It may seem extreme at first, but this bandaid needs to be ripped off once and for all.

Pete

Posted by: horace1 | December 17, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Being human i just do not feel right wishing harm to any of the athletes who play this game... be that as it may if i did wish harm upon some of these players Koci who has no purpose in this game and Cindy Crosby who needs to shut up and play the game would be at the top of my list

Posted by: nickiefan83 | December 17, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns

Thank goodness I am not the only one with crazy superstitions...definitely have my sitting rituals, as well as rules for the Pk which includes not looking at the clock when it ticks down to 1 minute and calling out the 30 second mark. My parents think I am OCD. I try to convince myself this has no effect on the outcome of the game, but that little voice inside my head is always saying "what if"! I have come to accept that when it comes to hockey, I am certifiably insane.

Posted by: capscoach | December 17, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

horace1

I agree something must be done, but giving the team a lengthy pk in the next game would not work...that could hurt the team that took the blow in more of a bad situation...what if the next game is against the other teams divisional rival and it is close to playoff time. That could easily keep a team out of the playoffs that did nothing wrong.

Posted by: capscoach | December 17, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Can we please talk more about superstitions regarding food? I generally try to make food based on the team we're playing. Rags/Isles- its pizza night. (even though the Isles aren't NYC proper). Atlanta (or anywhere south) it's fried chicken with greens. And I love when we play Montreal, because I make poutine. If you've never had it- you're cheating yourself. The only thing better than gravy fries, is gravy fries with cheese. And there's nothing better at 3 am either. In Montreal they serve at McDonalds- win. Urge to eat- rising...

Posted by: Fro_ | December 17, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Fro: There's a real sense to what you are doing, because it's like you are eating the other team's food. This is like when Ray Lewis pulls up the grass on another team's field.

I just try and keep it with red and white but especially I avoid other team's colors, like no carrots when playing Flyers. You'll notice also the Flyers have really stunk since I threatened to dye our orange cat red. We also have two red cars and I would never buy an orange one. Needless to say I would not paint my house either orange or black & yellow.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

BTW, fried chicken isn't big in Florida. I would suggest fish for Tampa and the Panthers.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 17, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned the Caps not getting any love on NHL on the Fly Wednesday night. They did get love last night during the Canucks vs Ducks game. In the middle of play the play by play guy, along with Ray Farraro who was standing between the benches for the fly on the wall view, were talking about the Caps rolling into town while the puck was in play. They mentioned that Ovi was already on the Marquee outside the stadium (2 nights before they are playing there) and that it was amazing that when Ovechkin rolls into town once a year how much of a buzz there is in the city. They also mentioned that the Caps presence was already evident with them taking the ice for practice in Vancouver.

Even if the NHL channel doesn't want to recognize the Caps, every town that gets to experience our team, especially the ones that only see them once, get excited when they come to town. I still cannot believe I have season tickets to one of the best products the NHL has to offer. Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

tominfl:

I fully agree about the colors. However, I'm a bit torn being from Syracuse. But I will say that our orange is much better than flyer orange. Their's looks like something Elmo vomitted up.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 17, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Well then fish it is when in Florida. I'm growing- culturally- every day.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 17, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil - Actually, the league has until the Avs' next game to decide. That's not until Saturday, so we may yet see Koci suspended. I hope for a minimum of 5 games for that hit.

Koci is my new villain.

Posted by: irockthered | December 17, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

As far as all of you being concerned about whether or not our players that have been injured should be hitting the ice. Don't worry! They have better doctors at their beckon call 24 hours a day than most of us get to see when we are injured. Hockey players do tend to push themselves more than other athletes, but doctors will not clear a player with a head injury if they are not good to go.

Also, if you don't think that Leonsis's major investment, Ovi, wasn't checked out thoroughly prior to being released to play after his suspension, you're all crazy. If he was injured whatsoever, he would have been held out because the Caps were on a roll anyway.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Saturday, I was walking back home around 6pm when,like an idiot, I looked up to the sky and saw only one bloody star. I stood in middle of the street and tried as hard as I could to see another one and could not. Thus, the loss.

My family already thinks I need some medical help, but other than Caps, I am pretty coherent and show signs of intelligence on other subjects so they are trying to overlook my bizarre behaviors during the Hockey season.

Posted by: ATOMIX1 | December 17, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

ATOMIX1

I am the same way...showing a fair bit of crazy when it comes to the Caps, but being relatively normal in other facets of life.

Posted by: capscoach | December 17, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Normalcy is overrated....

Posted by: PhilR | December 17, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

It was I who mentioned the no love from NHL on the Fly. Generally, I think they do a great job, so it was just more of a one time thing. I think I was just upset about the fact that they mentioned that the hit on Green was more Green's fault (he should have more hockey sense) rather than Koci's fault for headhunting and cheap shotting Green. I see their point sort of, but I really feel that Green was just making a routine play, after making sure he was okay to do so, and Koci came at full speed...

But yeah, I think it is amazing the type of Buzz the caps get when they roll into town, any town it seems. Pre-Ovi days, I had the chance to catch them in Colorado, Montreal, and Toronto a bunch of times (used to live in Canada)...Since Ovi has arrived, I have sene them play in both Florida venues and Carolina....It was awesome talking to a lot of the fans at both venues, many sporting Caps sweaters...of course most were OV jerseys. A lot of these fans came from all over the country (and Canada), because they wanted the chance to watch OV play (and take advantage of the beautiful/warm Florida weather in the winter time).

I really do not think the media is out to get the Caps, that was just a one off rant I had the other day :) Actually, one of my favorite analyst to listen to on the NHL network is non other than hall-of-famer Phil Esposito, and usually has nothing but tons of praise to give OV and the Caps!

Looking forward to tomorrow's game! Hope I can make it to western Canada one day to watch the Caps play there! (though it is very lovely in the summer time! )

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 17, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Tom

Actually in Tampa the Cuban Sandwich is de rigor. If you are going to do fish for Tampa it should be Grouper, though I think flounder is better, as it is almost a religion down here. I don't know what the Miami/Sunrise fish is though as I try to stay on the sane side of FL as much as possible. If I have to go to the least coast of FL, I stay to the northern portion as my daughter lives in one of my favorite small towns, St Augustine.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 17, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

My goal is to see the Caps in as many road stadiums as I can in the next couple of years. I have family in Chicago so I plan to go there and catch the Caps vs Hawks, and I've already been able to see the Caps in Philly and NJ this season. To see them play in Canadien venues would be sweet.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

One last opinion on the whole Koci thing. It bugs me that two former Caps, who I respected as players, were behind the bench and decided to put Koci out there in a game that was out of hand knowing full well what Koci would do. I certainly hope Koci chose to do that on his own without orders from the bench to inflict damage at any cost. I will assume Sacco's and Kono's only hand it in was not thinking better of putting him out there without giving him goon orders.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@fanhock1 seeing your team play on enemy grounds is amazing! I went to every game at MSG last year, regular season and playoffs Nd it was fantastic. Ovie LOVES playing in NYC. Also got a suprise birthday trip up to the Boston Garden (yeah yeah it's not called the Garden anymore, but I still call it that!)last season to see Semin put one past Thomas in OT. I was getting heckled by a dude in front of me the whole game and then he quickly shut up. Great thing about Boston, no matter what sport you watch up there, a "Yankees suck" chant breaks out. Odd but hilarious.

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I can vouch for Toronto and (especially) Montreal. Great crowds.

Posted by: Section117 | December 17, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse