Guerin not coming to Washington

Reports out of Long Island are that Islanders captain Bill Guerin is on the move and that he's not on the ice for practice this morning. But my sources here in Washington are telling me that the Caps are not his next destination.

Also, Jay Beagle has been recalled from Hershey for today's game.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 1, 2009; 12:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cherry rips Ovechkin's goal celebrations
Next: Beagle and Theodore in, Kozlov and Nylander out

Comments

I think he is headed to Montreal.

Is Jose getting the start today?

Posted by: thezaitsev | March 1, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Probably better overall, only good reason to do it would be to move Nyls salary.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

It's Days of Our Trades week in Washington, oh yes.

Beagle called up? Interesting. Who is he expected to replace?

Posted by: kittypawz | March 1, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I think someone is nursing an injury. will know for sure soon.

Posted by: el_bashir | March 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd expect Fehr is out - he looked like he was hurting after that smashup into the boards yesterday.

Posted by: m4ilm4n | March 1, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness! Although I think McPhee is more shrewd than that...you never know.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | March 1, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Fehr seems likely. I was worried about him after he slammed into the boards, and I don't recall seeing much of him after that.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

So i spent an hour reading all those Islanders blogs for nothing? Oh well. Hope this means the Caps are focused on Pronger. A D is what they need the most (not a goalie!!) and Pronger is the guy i want.

Posted by: QuintenD | March 1, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

GET PRONGER!!

Posted by: zloss126 | March 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

when does pronger's salary come off the books?¿?

Posted by: ngraham1 | March 1, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Would also rather a D instead of Guerin.

If Beagle is up, does this mean Nyles is a healthy scratch again? Or something else going on.

Posted by: Grape8 | March 1, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

pronger comes off the books after next season. same time as nyls.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Guerin is a depth scorer with playoff experience at this point I think and not much more. Doubt he's traded for more than a 2nd round draft pick. Wouldn't make sense for us unless we were trading Flash or Fehr for one of the big name D's available.

Posted by: TheGJ | March 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Who's injured?

Nylander is either REALLY in the doghouse or on the way out if he's not even top 10 in our depth chart for forwards.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | March 1, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

think of geurin as an already seasoned fehr or laich.

i wouldve thought he wouldve made a decent forward rental, given what we need up front. of course we need a blue liner more, but im not going to oppose strengthening our front if possible.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

NJ already up 1-0. Come on Philly.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Darn, Guerin would have been a great pick-up, esp. if the rumored asking price is only a 2nd rounder. I hope that means that GMGM is holding onto cap space for a rugged defenseman, ala Pronger. With GMGM, we'll never know until a deal is annouced. I'm bummed that Nyles and his salary weren't being shipped off to the Island.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the work tarik, i was waiting for your input before i got too excited/disappointed (not sure which i would be yet) with this trade.

Posted by: ovie8mydanish | March 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@ Davethecapsfan -- I'd rather the Devils win to keep the pressure on the Caps -- give them an extra reason to play teams below them in the standings as well as those above them. I also want the Flyers to lose as much as possible, just because I loathe the very air they breath.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 1, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@JIM

We pulled within 8 of Boston after yesterday's win and NJ is close enough. I don't think there is any lack of motivation at this point especially considering so many of our remaining games are against division opponents. I hate Philly too but not when they're playing a team we could stand to see lose.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS: I want the breathing room, bluntly. I'll suck it up and deal with Philly winning if it means breathing room in the conference.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 1, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I think the best thing in the Philly/NJ game is for it not to go to OT. Otherwise I dont care.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 1, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

So what's all these rumors i'm reading out of canada that Backstrom (Minnesota) wants to come here. What?

Posted by: blanknerc | March 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

1, 2, 3 matter less than where the Caps land visa-vie the Flyers (i.e. Caps 3rd, Flyers 6th = bad news). I also want to see the Caps win as much as possible to be confident/hot going into the playoffs, not 2nd because the NJD's cooled off. Finally, I want to see the Flyers fall from grace so they go into the playoffs with less confidance. Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery (yeah, mixed metaphors!)

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Once again, over an hour since this story was posted and it is not showing up on the RSS feed. Why is it so slow? Who do I contact to ask questions like this?

Posted by: isaacc7 | March 1, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse