Halpern Hopes To Return In January

Just tell me to stop if you're sick of hearing about former Caps. But I figured there's a bunch of folks out there who want an update on Jeff Halpern, a local favorite and former Caps captain.

Halpern, as you probably know, suffered a major injury to his knee (torn ACL and MCL) while representing the USA in the world championships.

He skated hard this morning, and even stayed around for some additional skating on his own. After the session, he said he's about a month or so away from returning to the 'Bolts lineup.

"It's not good now," Halpern said. "If things keep on schedule, a month, maybe a month and a half before I should be ready for a game."

Asked for his thoughts about suffering the injury in international play as opposed to in the NHL, Halpern said:

"It's a good tournament, the world championships, and it's fun to represent your country," Halpern said. "But I've always been disappointed to be asked because it means you're not in the playoffs or you've been knocked out."

"The NHL for me is all I care about," he added. "To get cheated out of a bit of that for anything these is disappointing. It was fun to represent my country, it was fun to be captain of that team. But the NHL is so special."

Halpern also knows what Kolzig is about to go through, having been through an emotional return to Washington in 2006.

"When I came back with Dallas, it was with a pretty good team," he said. "I wanted to have a good game, but it wasn't good [for the Stars] or for me. Olie is different. He was here for 20 years. He did everything he possibly could for this organization. As an outsider looking in, he still has a ton of good hockey in him. We almost have two No. 1 goalies. He wants to have a great game and to show maybe what could have been."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 10, 2008; 1:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Melrose: 'Olie Will Be Able to Handle it'
Next: Kolzig Praises Johnson, Semin

Comments

didnt want anyone to say it. LETS GO CAPS

Posted by: david171 | November 10, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Will be great to see Halpern back on the ice.. Once the puck drops tonight, I am all for an onslaught. I root for the front of the jersey , before I do the back of one. GO CAPS GO!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 10, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I hear the giveaway is a Jeff Halpern "Bobble-Knee."

OK..that was wrong..

Posted by: SA-Town | November 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Good legwork TeB, now for that elusive Pettinger interview...

I kid.

Posted by: Section117 | November 10, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@Section 117

Pettinger has scheduled a press conference at the steps of the American Art museum at 3 p.m. Details to follow.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

How sick is this? I was looking at the usual hockey sites and came across an interesting forecast. If Semin keeps his production up, he'll have 132 points and be a +69 skater.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Great news about Halpern, hopefully he can make a full recovery.

As for Olie tonight, I hope he does well, but I hope the Caps do better. Olie will either have a great game because he will be so focused, or he will end up being be off. I'm sure we all remember those Pens games where he was trying so bad for the win, it just didnt work out and his game was off.

Posted by: Grape8 | November 10, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the updates on our former players, Tarik. Great work, as always.

Posted by: TheBicycleThief | November 10, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sick of hearing about former Caps? On the contrary, Tarik. This fan is grateful for such updates, and will continue to be so as long as said updates have nothing to do with Jagr.

Posted by: EBC1 | November 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm 35, so i basically grew up with Olie as our goalie. He is one of the classiest and most generous professional to ever come through DC and stay in DC when his options were certainly brighter elsewhere. I wish him well this year especially after what appeared to me as unfair treatment on managements part last year. Hopefully, when he retires, it will be as a Capital and they shower him with a public party fit for a king. Number 37 should be hanging from the rafters.

2008 1:49 PM

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

So is TB partially Caps south? It's odd that Bolts have so many players from the dark years. I'd love to see Halpern back, maybe even trade Kolzig for Theodore. The Bolts can keep Pettinger and Eminger ;)

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 10, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Awesome updates Tarik. Its like Christmas with all the blog postings today.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 10, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans visit: http://capsstop.blogspot.com
for more great info on the Caps!

Posted by: bagasome | November 10, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Bagasome.
Stop.

You're regurgitating everything that every Caps blog has covered.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 10, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

bagasome, I think I remember asking nicely before, so here goes: Stop posting that darn blog here. The people who are interested will find you. The rest of us would like to do without your spam.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | November 10, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I have never really liked Kolzig. I got mad when Jim Carey left; he was THE MAN!

I kid. I will be there tonight and I for one will be standing when I clap for Kolzig.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | November 10, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, while I watched the Capitals occasionally when I lived in Maryland in the 90s, I've only been a "diehard fan" of the Capitals for the last five years or so. I've gotten the Center Ice package the last three seasons (since I live in Tennessee), and while I remember the excitement of the Stanley Cup Finals run back in the day, my memories of Olie don't stretch back as long.

I don't wish ill for Olie in Tampa. But I'm glad the Capitals have moved on and I hope they beat Kolzig tonight. Whether that's 1-0 or 8-0, all I want is the win.

I understand the support for a fan favorite. But I disagree with the comments by Capitals fans who say they won't mind if they lose tonight. That's all.

Either way, I'm looking forward to an EXCITING game tonight!

*formerly known as Caps fan in TN*

Posted by: Cerealman | November 10, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@Cerealman

I said it before..glad to see Olie, and I will cheer for him.

I also hope he gets pulled, after giving up 4 goals on 10 shots.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 10, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I suddenly felt old when reading about Kolzig replacing Ranford as the starter 18 YEARS AGO. Man how time flies.

I hope Kolzig has a good game, but we have a better one.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | November 10, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig actually replaced Ranford 11 years ago, it was during the 97-98 season he became our full time starter.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 10, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The Rocket Bar @ 6pm...

Book it...

Posted by: JSchon | November 10, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

and I thought MY math was bad...

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I forgot my Beaupre jersey at home...

I'll be in town around 6:30.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | November 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Just checking on some team stats, Tampa has given up the fewest goal in the Southeast, and scored the fewest as well. I am sure the may be leading in shots against, so their goaltending has been pretty steller. We need to come out of the Gate like we did against the Rangers and keep it up for a full 60. Wish I could be their at teh booth!

Go Caps!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 10, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

fun olie fact. he played 2 games for the caps in 89-90 wearing number 35. 37 was taken by d-man brian tutt (the king). olie gave up 12 goals in two games...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Will be watching online tonight. Here's hoping for a good old goaltenders battle with a 0:0 scoreline between Kolzig and Johnson in regulation. Game goes to overtime and then shootout. Nobody scores until last shooter OV skates in and Nolan-style points to the top corner of the net and goes five hole on Zilla game over!
Now that would be a good storyline tomorrow Tarik. OV with a Zilla Killa!

Posted by: Kiltmon | November 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

My Jersey tonight will say Caps on the front, but Kolzig on the back. I was there the night he took over for Ranford and have been there ever since as a season ticket holder. I know many of you don't get it but tonight I will be there for Olie as much as I am there for anything. When we lost Olie and got Josie we din't so much end up with the short end of the stick as the wide part of the (5)hole. I'd feel better about it if we had actually ended up improved at the position but right now its like giving up Ovie for Riley Cote.

Posted by: majiksea | November 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Is there an internet feed of the game?

Posted by: ChrisAm | November 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah I forgot backhand to the 5 hole.

Posted by: Kiltmon | November 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

GO AWAY BAGSOME!!!

It is nice to catch up on some old caps. I wonder what Jagr is doing....

Posted by: Leeguru | November 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

TN Cerealman:
I am not OK with losing, but I'd rather lose to Olie than anyone. I'm going to be cheering for the Caps at the VC, but I will not be booing Kolzig. I'm with majiksea - my jersey tonight will say Caps on the front, but Kolzig on the back. I hope both keepers play well and that it is an exciting game ... and that the Caps walk away with two points.

Steve (from the previous):
As long as you are not booing him, I would not think badly of you (not that I could EVER think badly of YOU! ;-)).

Posted by: Boo- | November 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse