Posted at 12:42 AM ET, 12/30/2010

Top quotes from HBO '24/7' episode three: Capitals vs. Penguins

By Lindsay Applebaum

The third installment of HBO's "24/7" documentary on the Capitals and Penguins offered some laugh-out-loud moments, like Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke and Paul Martin talking about "Just for Men-ing" Martin's blonde mustache, and Washington Coach Bruce Boudreau trying to buy his wife a Christmas present but being distracted by "Haagen-Dazs. Woo! Treats, for everybody!"

But the best footage, hands down, was from the rivals' first regular-season meeting of the year. Maybe you'd already seen Pittsburgh's 3-2 shootout win last Thursday, but thanks to good old waltz-right-into-George-McPhee's-office-and-take-whatever-you-need HBO, the sights and sounds were largely brand new tonight.

Below, the top five mic'ed up moments from the premium version of the Capitals-Penguins game:

5) Capitals defenseman Scott Hannan trying to make a deal with the official after punching Tyler Kennedy: "He slashes the goalie, I'll punch him. You can take us both -- you can't take one, though."

4) Boudreau, getting the Caps fired up right before they face the Penguins: "Now, I think we're ready. I've looked at everybody's faces, looked in your eyes, I think we're ready to play here."

3) Alex Ovechkin, desperately trying to get a delay of game call on Pittsburgh's Zbynek Michalek: "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! That's [bleeping] two minutes. Hey! ... It's two minutes. Two minutes."

2) Boudreau's instructions to Mike Green before the Caps go on the power play: "Hey, Mike. If you get a chance, shoot."

1) Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, finally getting in some f-bombs while arguing for a hooking call on John Carlson: "You gonna [bleepin'] call that? [Bleep] off! [Bleep] you! [Bleepin'] [bleep]. [Bleep]. [Bleepin'] [bleep]. Right in the [bleepin'] face? That's a [bleepin'] joke."

Check the random quote generator later today for all the best moments from episode three.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | December 30, 2010; 12:42 AM ET
Categories:  HBO 24/7, Winter Classic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heard on HBO's "24/7": Capitals, Penguins talk hockey
Next: Capitals' equipment staff ready for the Winter Classic

Comments

Anyone count the number of times Bruce mentioned ice cream at the mall?

Posted by: bsumner | December 30, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Here, we've already worked this one over in the previous thread:

Here are some coaches:

Phil Jackson, Scotty Bowman, Earl Weaver, Bill Belichek...

4 coaches, 4 sports - what do they have in common?

You watch the game and you watch the coach and you get the feeling that the coach is "in control."

Now Red Auerbach, lighting the cigar, late in the game, that was CONTROL.

Boudreau however seems instead to be reactive to what has happened or is happening rather than proactive to make it happen. That's my opinion. But as George McPhee might say, "I'm not in hockey so what the he!! do I know?"

Well, George, I know you had really, REALLY lousy drafts in 98, 99, 00, 01, 03, 05!!! and (less Alzner) 07.

Then again you won't take my word for it since if I knew what I was talking about I would "be in hockey" but two words for you, George:

Sasha Pokulok. Wasn't even rated in the top 2 million hockey players but you took him 15th overall. What the he!! do I know George I'm not in hockey but I wouldn't've touched Pokulok even with Bill Clinton's um, er, laser pointer.

And if DJ King is so awful that you are defending BB for not using him, how on the same hand can you defend McPhee for that trade? Well, how can you?

BTW, someone needs to tell me where McPhee buys his scarfs. I wouldn't wear one to save my a$$ even if I were to die otherwise but I'm just curious what kind of man in the hockey business would wear a scarf. I've never seen a picture of Gordie Howe in a scarf if that means anything.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 30, 2010 1:38 AM

Yes, bottom line, I'd rather eat quiche than wear a scarf. I'd sooner die than wear a scarf. Seriously.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 30, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

The highlight of episode 3 was Erich Fehr's wife.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | December 30, 2010 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Highlights of the 3 episodes:
1) all the butthurt posters crying because mcphee insulted them by saying "if they knew anything about the game they'd be in it."

2) anyone who has to eat crow about boudreau and his swearing, while knowledgeable fans bask in the "glory" of being right that Boudreau (or any coach) was getting frustrated by the losing streak and that once they pulled out they'd resemble a normal team again.

With #2, I think we learned a lot about which posters to take seriously, and which posters are just angry, irrational fools. But go ahead, make another fat joke...

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 30, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Anyone think that Neuvy's NOT going to be ready to for them after the comments about him being "shaky"? Or SC talking about his flinching?

Posted by: ljo211 | December 30, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

GFisher1

Agree with you about the posters whining and feeling insulted by mcphee. I would really worry if BB and GMGM had a discussion where phrases like "you know, the sports junkies have a point..." or "I read a comment on Capitals Insider, and they're right, we should...".

Not stating that there aren't radio hosts/bloggers who know their hockey and have good, valid ideas, but do you really want your coach/gm taking their cues from the likes of us? If so, which ones?

Posted by: CapsIn4 | December 30, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 30, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what your point of this post was, but my guess is that "knowledgeable" fans support BB and those who don't are just "angry, irrational fools"?

Granted, I haven't seen 24/7 but it seems to me that BB is leaving the impression on many that he's the second-coming of Mr. Magoo while Bylsma comes off as cool, calm, and collected. I would take Bylsma over BB to coach the Caps any day of my life.

BB is a novelty act that wouldn't last 2 minutes in any city passionate about its hockey. He's taken this team as far as he can, it's time for a new general if we're to reach the Promised Land.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 30, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

@toninsocal1:

Um, maybe my memories are different than yours, but I definitely didn't always feel like Earl Weaver was "in control." Of course, that's one of the reasons I love that guy.

Here's Earl, in complete control:

Careful, it's about as suitable for work as a 24/7 locker room speech. ;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | December 30, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Neuvy's odds of starting shot up after Bylsma said "their goalie is not good" between periods of the game last week? It may be a "top quote," but it sure caught my attention. Neuvy's too, I bet.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | December 30, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

GFisher: There are very few people in any business who can say, "Anyone not in this business has no clue..."

Brain surgeon, sure. Rocket scientist, yes. But those in the entertainment industry - sports, movies, games - can't make that claim. I can just if a movie stinks even though I've never made one. And I can judge McPhee's drafting record by comparing to others.

It's really an insult for anyone in the entertainment industry to defend against detractors with that sort of statement. If OTOH you are satisfied by it, it's a free country and you may consume as much Caps pablum and Kool Aid as your stomach can hold. Bon Appetit!

Ed: With Weaver, it was part of his act. He was known to go out to an umpire and tell him before the "show" really got going that he needed to be kicked out. The exception was one ump named Luciano I think and Weaver really did hate that one.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 30, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh no... a "we coulda had getzlaf"-er

Tell me, who is on your board in the fourth-seventh rounds this year

Posted by: GFisher1 | December 30, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone else been a little concerned about how biased 24/7 seems to be in favor of the Pens? I know the early episodes were brought down a bit by the Caps losing streak but you can't tell me there was no upbeat footage to be found during some of the practices or travel, they seemed to find plenty for the Pens (playing PSPs on their plane, practical jokes, etc.). And of course they rarely showed the Pens dropping any f-bombs meanwhile they showed a torrent of them from the spaghetti stained mouth of Boudreau (the crew couldn't tell him his face was a mess?).

Episode three showed the worst bias so far, they went out of their way to show Ovie getting upset over what they portrayed as a valid tripping call (which it wasn't) and on the flip side they showed Sid getting upset because he felt the refs missed a call against a teammate. So according to 24/7 Ovie is a wild player who doesn't respect the ref's authority and Sid is a standup guy who isn't afraid to stand up to the refs for his teammates, what a load of cr*p.
The worst was yet to come, they spent 2 minutes showing the Caps discussing a sneaky strategy to get Malkin to commit some stupid penalties and they only showed a two-second remark from the Pen's coach which laid bare their horrendous strategy to try and re-injure Mike Green. Why didn't they show the two minutes of pre-game planning for that? Because it would shatter the white-hat image the NHL is fabricating for the Pens.
They went on to waste the rest of the episode on chirstmas filler (of which Fehr's wife was the highlight). They made sure to make Boudreau out as the clown again and then showed the Pens coach helping out with chirstmas dinner and having another father-son moment with his kid. They only showed a two minute montage of the Caps and Pens next games which the Caps won and the Pens lost (thanks to Sid's penalties).

I started out looking forward to 24/7, now I can't wait til it's over.

Posted by: justcapital | December 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse