Posted at 2:13 PM ET, 12/ 9/2010

Video: Coaches Bruce Boudreau and Dan Bylsma on the HBO series

By Katie Carrera

To help whet everyone's appetite for "24/7 Penguins/Capitals: Road to the Winter Classic", HBO has been rolling out some sneak peeks. The latest, featuring Penguins Coach Dan Bylsma and Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau, is below.

HBO's "24/7" premieres Dec. 15 at 10 p.m.

By Katie Carrera  | December 9, 2010; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  HBO 24/7
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau on Eric Fehr, scratching players
Next: Tonight's lineup: Panthers at Caps

Comments

"Two years ago, we were flying high, Erskine was a regular, players played for each other and BB and we pushed the Pens to game #7 in round 2 (I won't mention how Erskine doctor-shopped to get clearance to finish the season, then played courageously on a broken foot and was our best dman in the playoffs.) How was Ersk rewarded for his INSPIRATIONAL play and leading by quiet example? Last year, the chosen ones started to arrive, Corvo came on board and the team banished Ersk to the press box (AND NO, HE WASN'T TERRIBLE LAST YEAR! I SCREAMED FOR HIS PRESENCE EVERY GAME HE WASN'T IN, some of you might remember.) We know what happened last spring, and THE EXACT SAME SCENARIO IS PLAYING OUT BEFORE OUR EYES, only now the chosen ones have been w/us since the start of the year.

Posted by: vermontcaps"

Is it just me or is vermont's writing style very Puckguru-esque?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 9, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Cont from previous thread.

Jamie Langenbruner is 34. He has only this year remaining on a $2.8m cap hit, UFA after this year.

He has won a cup, captain of the Devils, and Captain of the USA Olympic team last year.

You don't think he would help this team?

Posted by: underpants2 | December 9, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"Puckguru-esque"

Rabble-rouser

Posted by: Leeguru | December 9, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

yes! jamie langenbrunner is exactly the guy i want. two cups, captain of his team/the olympic team. if we could move fehr for a defenseman, then we'd have an opening on the wing. i just don't if lou lamierello would trade his captain.

Posted by: brian58 | December 9, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

You don't think he would help this team?

Posted by: underpants2 | December 9, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

A 2C is what we need. I wouldn't spend our cap space on an aging wing. If we could move a comparable contract (i.e. Fehr) so as not to impact the cap for the rest of the year, then maybe. I haven't seen him at all this year, have any legs left?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 9, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Gritty vet with a couple Cups would certainly demand accountability from his teammates. I would certainly be for that trade.

Posted by: PhilR | December 9, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1

Agreed. Fehr would have to be moved, probably to a different team. Fehr's number is $2.2m, so the delta between the two is only $600k.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 9, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen him at all this year, have any legs left?
-----------

Unfortunately, no. He was so bad for Team USA they finally took him off the Parise / Stastny line - at which point those two starting piling up points. Granted that was an extremely fast tournament, everybody on each of the top teams could move - but still, he wasn't very good. IIRC Langenbrunner's also been a healthy scratch more than once since the Olympic break; that's never good.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 9, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1

He scored 61 points last year. The year before that, 70. This year he has 11 in 19 games.

He was never scratched last year, played 81 games.

This year, I am not sure, the Devils have been awful, so his numbers are down.

Plus, you are acquiring a guy like this for more than numbers.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 9, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Bill Guerin is still unsigned if you are looking for intangibles.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 9, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Guerin just retire a couple days ago?

Posted by: joek443 | December 9, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

You're right, he just announced it on Tuesday. I suppose technically he's still available, as the retirement was simply based on nobody signed him yet.

BTW, is there a date by which a team must sign a UFA to have them play? It was that you had to sign by the trade deadline, so guys like Niedermeyer a few years ago came back very late in the season. Then the league was toying with the idea of a Dec 1 or Jan 1 cut-off to sign last year's UFAs. I don't know if a decision was ever made.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 9, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

He was never scratched last year
--------------
Posted by: underpants2

Um, wrong dude:

"Angry at being a healthy scratch from Saturday night's game in Raleigh, N.C., Langenbrunner ended four days of silence when he addressed the issue after practice Wednesday at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla."

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 9, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Knuble was a gritty vet. Once has started playing under BB he's played like his body is made up of egg shells. He no longer crashes the net, crowds the goalie/crease, hits, he basically plays a perimeter game. Bringing in a gritty center would just turn him into another Knuble under BB. Sorry, just the way I see it.

Posted by: FLDave | December 9, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

As disspirited as I am now, I'll nonetheless be watching the game. WELCOME BACK FROM YOUR ABORTED EXILE, JOHNNY E!! I hope he has his usual 15mins, 4-5 hits, 2-3 blocked shots; I KNOW I DON'T HAVE TO HOPE FOR STRENGTH, COURAGE, AND EFFORT.

I'm going to enjoy watching #4 play the rest of the season (BB did say players play on merit, right?) and I'll feel very happy for him when he leaves. The team won't match what he'll command on the open-market after this season, and HE'D BE SMART NOT TO SIGN ANY TOKEN, LOW-BALL EXTENSION THE TEAM MIGHT OFFER. He'll have earned everything he gets, having been a graduate of the hockey school of hard knocks, and I'll miss him mightily.

As an organization, we'll continue to throw oodles of cash at prima donnas because of their junior or ahl achievements, and they'll continue to float around the ice desecrating the memories of guys like STEVENS, TINORDI, HUNTER and ERSKINE himself. I'll continue to rail against them, or perhaps by then my interest will have gone the way of the Orioles. I CAN SEE IT ALL SO CLEARLY, AND IT SADDENS MY HEART.

go caps, kick florida's a@@

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 9, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

BECAUSE OF YOUR GREAT POST on the last thread, the Hockey Gods have blessed you, too, with the rarest of feats....nice "triple natural unassisted" post, I read it all three times!

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 9, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

In hockey years, 34 is the new 1000 for any player not named Mike Knuble (which makes Chris Chelios older than the Pyramids hahahaha)...

IIRC, Langenbrunner also played for Dallas around the time they defeated the Sabres to win the Cup in 1999.

What I remember most about him, though, is this:

The Stars faced the Sabres the following season in a game billed as a Stanley Cup Rematch. During the contest, Langenbrunner tried crowding the Buffalo crease and goaltender in a highly aggressive--some might even say illegal--manner.

However, the Sabres' goalie that night was Martin Biron--actually a bit larger than the enormous Langenbrunner--and he wasn't having any!

After just a couple of minutes of this abuse Biron reared up and clocked Langenbrunner ferociously with his "waffle", knocking him right on his kiester. As Langer lay prostrate on the ice, Biron then attempted to beat the living crap out of him...with both his blocker and catcher still on!

Fortunately for Langenbrunner, the linesmen rapidly intervened before any permanent damage could be done.

I ask all of you: do we really want to add a player who got 81+ยข#-slapped by a goalie?

So I would probably say no to Langenbrunner.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 9, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to hammer Langenbrunner, the guy's had a very good career and done a lot for USA Hockey - that said, the guy's 34, and it's not a young 34 because of the way he plays. And he WAS a healthy scratch last year, and that's never good. On a bad team, no less.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 9, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I would expect a big effort from the fellas tonight. 4 game losing streaks aren't good when your ultimate goal is to win the Cup. The last game shoulda sent a message and we'll see if it was received or not.

This is about the time we go on a long winning streak and OV is about to let the rest of the NHL know he's still the best goal scorer in the game.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 9, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't see any available 2C's out there right now. B. Richards is an UFA next year but, Dallas is 2nd in the conference. We have to wait and see which teams fall out of the race and who is available. Fehr is 25 and under contract for the next 2 years (2.2 per). He would have trade value. I'm not sure if the Caps would trade him. I'm guessing most teams are asking for 1 or 30 when GMGM calls. Varly and Neuvirth aren't going anywhere.

Posted by: chriscaps | December 9, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

BB has to be loving the attention from HBO.
I'm not convinced adding another vet will change this teams mindset. I think the favortism BB shows certain players has caused an unspoken division in the ranks.
All will be fine when the Caps explode for the next 5 to 2 win...until they get too self important and fail to back check and play defense against a weaker team who comes back to win. Then this all goes round again.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 9, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

BTW, kudos to everyone for not posting a single comment on the Q&A post today and I hope that also means that nobody wasted their time asking a legit question that would go unanswered. CI,are you getting this?

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 9, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

As far as Langenbrunner is concerned, he falls into that category of players that I would've loved to have a few years ago, but not now. Sorry JL. I'm not saying he doesn't have anything left to offer, but I'd be pissed if we got him for anything more than Sloan and a bag of pucks at this point.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 9, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Any other moves we make this season better make us meaner and more physical, otherwise they are pointless. If we can add a rough edge to the top end offensive talent that we have, our chances of post season success will increase dramatically. Even though I don't think BB favors grit guys and uses them effectively, he will play them if they can skate and play solidly away from the puck.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 9, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

He played 81 games last year so he was a healthy scratch once last year and don't forget last year they weren't a bad team they won their division. He also played in all of their playoff games so they didn't feel like he couldn't play then. To be honest I haven't watched him at all this year so I am not going to say one way or another if he has lost anything but those talking about him being a healthy scratch once are reading too much into one game and those who are talking about him getting sat or a bad team are thinking of this years team not last.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 9, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

he was a healthy scratch once last year
------------

I don't care if it was one time, five times or ten - if you're a HS, that's never good.

they weren't a bad team they won their division.
------------

But they were terrible at the end and in the playoffs - ie., when it counted. Which is when he got sat. Which also broke up his shot at playing all 82 games - which coaches don't do lightly, you cost guys $$ when you do that.

Look, as I've repeated this a few times - I like JL, and all he's done for American hockey over the years. But the question was: does he have any legs left - and I answered, after watching Team USA very, very closely in the Pics [Parise+Stastny's play picked up dramatically after he was dropped from their line] and hearing of his tail-off for NJD - no, he doesn't.

And not at the price he would likely cost.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 10, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse