Posted at 7:58 PM ET, 01/ 5/2011

Video: HBO Sports president on '24/7' series

By Washington Post Sports Editors

Ross Greenburg, the president of HBO Sports, was a guest on Washington Post Live tonight to discuss the "24/7" series, which is centered on the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins leading up to the NHL Winter Classic.

The ins and outs of hockey "really didn't have a place -- yet -- in our television culture," Greenburg said, "so I knew if we could get that kind of access, go behind the scenes, bring these players to life, see what it's like, the grind of an NHL season and seeing what these players go through to play three or four times a week, at times, to understand the brutal nature of the sport yet the artistry of the sport... I just felt like there was something the sport had never given to people."

Watch the full interview below:

By Washington Post Sports Editors  | January 5, 2011; 7:58 PM ET
Categories:  HBO 24/7, Winter Classic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals defensemen John Carlson, Karl Alzner earning more responsibility
Next: Recapping HBO's '24/7' finale: Capitals, Penguins face off in Winter Classic

Comments

Kuznetsov is lookin' GOOD!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 5, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

CANADA FOILED AGAIN!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 5, 2011 9:50 PM | Report abuse

CHOKE!

Posted by: meagle | January 5, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Five unanswered goals in approximately 19 minutes! That's gonna break some hearts up North.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 5, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Cody Eakin picked as Canadien Player of the Game. Orlov and Kuznetsov picked as tournament First Team All Stars.

Posted by: dull | January 5, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

So eurotrash won again.

Posted by: Randolph2 | January 5, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps
@capscoack
@GFisher
@vermont

Hey, when your team is known around the league as being big, but soft, it is easy to get "over hyped" about Erskine. This is hockey, not soccer. American/Canadian NHL hockey that turns into a blood sport in rounds 3 and 4 of the playoffs. The only real bad asses we have on this team are Hendricks, Bradley, Ovi, and Erskine. (DJK doesn't play for strange reason.)

Erskine is the only guy who scares anybody of size. He sets a tone that is really lacking on this team. I've stepped back from my dislike of GMGM several times and asked, "Could a team this soft get through the playoffs ?" After the new role Erskine is playing, the disappearance of Flush, the new attention to team D, Varly, a new found toughness that we saw at Heinz, we MAY be able to win the cup.

These teams that win the cUp are tough. Erskine is tough, and forces others to play at his level. The beat down he put on Rupp was huge. Rupp called "no mas" in front of 60,000 rust belters.

John E should have the "C". You keep on pumping up Johnny E, Vermont. John Erskine plays playoff hockey EVERY NIGHT. You folks just don't recognize it, because the Caps rarely play playoff hockey.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 5, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@Randolph2

Backy is Eurotrashing right now.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 5, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@randolph2

I guess Eurotrash slumps last 40 games, and involve "zero" back checking once you've signed that big contract.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 5, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Some of the comments by Canadians on TSN are pretty amusing. Here are just a few:

"Canadarukiddingme
15 mins ago
A complete collapse. The worst collapse in Cnd hockey history... Those guys will live with that forever. Canada got beat by a team with more heart. Who would have ever guessed that would be Russia"

"habsfansintoronto97
15 mins ago
This day from now on shall be known to Canadians as the Great Canadian Collapse of Buffalo. Disgusting effort Canada, disgusting. To make things worse I have one less TV because after the fifth goal I threw the remote at the TV."

Link if you want to read more: http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=348167

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 5, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Some more little gems:

"team_canada
20 mins ago
I guarantee you Hockey Canada is going to designate a committee to examine this. This kind of collapse is unacceptable"

"neumsy
1 hour ago
Worst display of Canadian Hockey that I have ever scene. Garbage. Not Skating. Did they all go and get drunk last?
No legs. We all should be embarassed! We sure skated a lot better against the Americans!"

"Nsant
13 mins ago
Visentin needs some Visiene. That third period is simply inexcusable by our Canadian hockey standards."

And some love for Eakin:

"the_redfist
21 mins ago
Heck of comeback by Russia... and the most epic collapse of a Canadian junior team ever. Nobody was skating in the third other than Eakin. Congratulations to Russia, they deserve the gold, showing the heart and effort usually seen in our boys... and team Canada got what they deserved."

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 5, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I gonna just fill in for Vermontcaps real quick...

BB quote..."it's not a cup but if feels f-ing good!"

Well it is OBVIOUS BB could care less about a cup! Apparently a winter classic win is all he cares about, and this is the guy GMGM choosed to lead our team! He has no heart :)

Great episode! Congrats to Russia, and well played Eakin!

Posted by: capscoach | January 5, 2011 10:56 PM | Report abuse

wow...so my grammar was a little trailer park....i think I was still amped from the Russia win and HBO episode...so let me edit...

I'm gonna just fill in for Vermontcaps real quick...

BB quote..."it's not a cup but if feels f-ing good!"

Well it is OBVIOUS BB could care less about a cup! Apparently a winter classic win is all he cares about, and this is the guy GMGM chooses to lead our team! He has no heart :)

Great episode! Congrats to Russia, and well played Eakin!

Posted by: capscoach | January 5, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

@Hunterforcoach

Exactly. This is how BB suppose to play this guys. "to cute" means he has no idea how to coach "young guns". PASS, PASS, PASS. Knuble is nowhere can be found except along the boards. We don't have first line like OBK. O and B don't want to play with K. Now S is floating between nowhere. BB does not have any clue how to use stars. As I mentioned before we don’t have 1st and 2nd lines. As I also think that BB should go. He is good with call ups and young players. Our team at least top players grew up to actually understand if he can lead this team to SC. We cannot use call ups in playoffs. They can help to get to playoffs but not to SC. Someone should change. I don’t call for BB replacement. As I said I think he does not understand how to prepare “stars”. I hope I’m wrong and we win SC this year. Everybody is asking about DJK. OK where is Brash. I can say one thing : Feds was our best acquisition for a long time. At least we moved to the second round because of him. I personally miss Brash because he brought some chemistry to this team. It just confirms the point about chemistry on the team. Ovie is not a great C. I think he wants to keep low profile. He doesn’t need this Crosby accolades. Another thing: I hate this system of trading any time during the season. Basic idea is you have a team roster on Oct 1. This is what you have to finish season up to SC. No trades along the road. Every time they trade someone next person on the team thinks that he will be next. I think this is unhealthy for the hole process. Sorry for long post.

Posted by: Randolph2 | January 5, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Episode 3 was the best
Cup still means more
Can't wait til Feb
Still need to learn that offense and defense can happen in THE SAME GAME
Loved the weekend in Pitts
Loved hearing Ovi call it Shittsburgh:-)!!!

Posted by: bluejeener1 | January 5, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

One other thing...just watched on caps.com Ovie shooting at Russian Dolls...now I am REALLY confused as to why he is having so much trouble scoring...the guy sure can aim!

Posted by: capscoach | January 5, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@randolph2

I agree with most of what you have to say. Last time Ovi was in a slump, BB said, "I'm not gonna' tell him how to score." Maybe Ovi should come flyin' down the wing circle around the net and PASS to a center who is crashing the slot FOR STARTERS. Hockey is simple, it just requires a great deal of talent. Ovi is really predictable. The Russian Doll video ???? What the Heck !!!! Umberger was right about the Caps.

If we are going to win in the playoffs and go deep, Ovi, Backy, Semin, Fehr, Chimera,
MoJo, Varley, and all of the D have to play "LARGE". Over 4 series of 7 games somebody will knock us off if we're still watching our stars not bury pucks.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 5, 2011 11:48 PM | Report abuse

@Hunter

You know I'll keep pumping-up #4! Never before, in the history of the game, has a "role player" meant so much to a team and the head coach not recognize it.

It just blows me away that in a game at home against a divisional foe with first place in the balance, we showed no snarl on the backline. Poti/Shultz/Carlson/Alzner/Hannan had a COMBINED TOTAL of 2 hits for the entire game. Regulation shutout or not, the Bolts had the better of play and were able to sustain pressure in our zone frequently. Seemed like the only time we could get extended offensive-zone time was when we were on the pp.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 5, 2011 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

You mentioned how Kuznetsov needs to gain strength to play in the NHL and I completely agree.

Do you think it may be possible that the Caps would want to keep him around next year(starting off with 4th line minutes, a few scratches and occasional 2nd line minutes) so they can get him in the Caps weight program and have him work with the Caps training staff with access to all of the Caps training equipment?

That would definitely be a bonus for keeping Kuznetsov on this side of the pond next year and could speed up his development significantly.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 5, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I'm glad everyone is getting on board the Eakin bandwagon. I was afraid GMGM might trade him, since he has too much hockey GRIT to fit in with most of the boys.

This keeps him here.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 5, 2011 11:54 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

That is a pathetic stat. Two hits. I only watched part of the game. I can't root against the Caps, but that stat right there tells you that BB doesn't know what is involved with hockey at the NHL level.

My sister could kick Poti's rear, and GMGM "re-uped" him. Just lovely !!

Two hits from 5 defensemen. Yea, we're gonna be kicken' some Flyer butt in the playoffs with that kind of presence back there.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 6, 2011 12:08 AM | Report abuse

If anyone on the team could benefit from getting into a fight, I think it would be Laich. He's all but disappeared recently, and I don't think it's due to lack of effort. He's handled himself admirably in his handful of fights over the years, and I think his confidence and overall game would improve if he cherry-picked an opponent at home and took him in a quick, clean, spirited bout.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 6, 2011 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the Caps D only had two hits against Tampa, but they also let up ZERO goals in regulation.

I will take that combination in EVERY game. If the Caps D can give out a 2 hit, ZERO goals against during regulation in every playoff game, I bet the Caps win the SC.

To criticize the overall play of the Caps defense against Tampa is illogical.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 6, 2011 12:28 AM | Report abuse

And all those posters who mention the term "Eurotrash" and talk about how the european Caps(especially the Russians) have no heart, they should read this article. Especially the last few paragraphs.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 6, 2011 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Unbelievable!!! Russia down 3-0 after 2 periods miraculously comes back with 5 goals in the 3rd to win gold 5-3!!! Absolutely amazing!!! I'm soooo happy! Suck it, Canada!!! After all the ridiculous trash talking we had to hear from you serves you right. Russians suck, Russians have no heart, Russians are @#$%. Well, FU! It can't be any sweeter to win like this and to shut up all you arrogant Canadians. Even the refs couldn't help you today and believe me, they tried hard. This was the real miracle on ice. These kids are absolutely incredible. 3 crazy comebacks in quarterfinal, semifinal & now the final to win it all!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!! УУУУУУРААААА!!!! Oh, and even in a loss you're arrogant because you think it was only your team that collapsed and give no credit to Russia for the absolutely amazing, improbable comeback. Maybe next time you'll learn your lesson and respect opponents a little. Although what am I saying, that's never gonna happen. Once the next WJC rolls around we'll hear the same crap again. Hockey is Canada's game and no one else should even bother playing it because you guys are so good at it. Well, tonight I say, eat crow!

Posted by: ranndino | January 6, 2011 3:05 AM | Report abuse

What an astonishing win by the Russians. Kuznetsov was obviously MVP caliber in this tournament. Two years in a row for Canada failing to bring home that cup, but this one had to hurt so much more, particularly before the "hometown" crowd.

As for the Caps, it's very funny to read these boards. You're only as good as your last game, I guess, even though it's an 82 game season. In this case it's 2 hits that apparently defines the Caps.

Check the stats, though -- we're #9 in the NHL in hits. Is that optimal? Maybe not, but it's more than Detroit, more than Vancouver, and we have 102 more hits so far this season than Philadelphia.

Posted by: Justafan | January 6, 2011 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Katie/Lindsay/Tarik, maybe a WP article about the performance of Kuznetsov, Orlov, and Eakin would be in order. Did the Post send anyone up to cover the tournament? If not, maybe some phone interviews could be done. Just a thought....

Posted by: zmega | January 6, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Some people get to a certain age and really should stop talking. Especially when they start sounding like they've got any business criticizing anybody. I forget this is a message board sometimes. Feels like old fans miss their old team and are inclined to trash this team I've gotten know and love. For the record, your old team is not coming back. Best way to deal with it? Hold your breaths. Save the rest of us from having to stare at the ugliness that inhabits your sad minds. Sick of hearing the naysayers. Get over yourselves.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 6, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse